Dec 06

Volt owners have saved 5 million gallons of gas, driven 100-million EV miles

Yesterday Chevrolet said as of this month, Chevrolet Volt owners have collectively driven over 100 million all-electric miles since the car’s launch a couple years ago.

The first production model was delivered in December 2010 and was designed to meet a need of the average driver doing 40 or less miles per day.

Chevrolet says the Volt has largely been used in an all-electric capacity among those who keep their miles within limit or who replenish even with on-the-go charging somewhere.

On average, 65 percent of the miles are in electric mode “as the car was designed,” Chevrolet said, and the gas-powered generator is used for longer trips.

Many Volt owners are exceeding the EPA’s 98 MPGe rating and drive approximately 900 miles or one-and-a-half months between fill-ups.

How about you, if you have a Volt, do you drive farther or not this far on average before you have to put gas in the tank? We know some of you have gone way longer, including someone Chevrolet quoted from Los Angeles who drives a Volt.

“Since my daily driving is all electric, I only really need to buy gas for long road trips,” said Andrew Byrne. “I drove over 1,900 miles on my last tank of gas.”

Chevrolet said, compared to the average new vehicle sold in the United States, and based on EPA estimates, Volt owners are saving about $1,370 a year in fuel costs.

“The best sign of a great product is when your customers are the most satisfied in the industry,” said Cristi Landy, Chevrolet Volt marketing director. “Volt owners have found the Volt is not only fun to drive, but provides technology and performance where consumers need it most.”

Tis true, and despite a setback in November from previous month’s sales numbers, word is getting out.

The Volt is also fun to drive, has racked up numerous awards, and has topped Consumer Reports owner satisfaction survey for the past two years.

This entry was posted on Thursday, December 6th, 2012 at 5:55 am and is filed under General. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

Jim Fallston Md.

Jim Fallston Md.

Dec 6th, 2012 (6:09 am)

Check out my all important miles for one tank of gas rating.

I Love this car and what it has allowed me to do to my energy usage.

Dec 6th, 2012 (6:23 am)

Add my nephew to those who are saving fuel. He took delivery of a 2013_Volt this week!

Kup

Kup

Dec 6th, 2012 (6:56 am)

I’m apparently really predictable in my driving patterns. I almost never use gas during the week and so basically the ICE is only used during the weekend excursions. For most of the tanks I’ve went over 2,700 miles which equates to to about 2 1/2 months between fill ups.

Still love the car after almost 19 months.

Although, sadly, when arriving at work today I heard a weird high pitched sound coming from the left front wheel. It changed pitch as my speed slowed down. I’ll have to check it out when it gets light out but I will likely need to take it into the dealership to see what is causing that sound.

bro1999

bro1999

Dec 6th, 2012 (7:24 am)

Kup:
    I’m apparently really predictable in my driving patterns.I almost never use gas during the week and so basically the ICE is only used during the weekend excursions.For most of the tanks I’ve went over 2,700 miles which equates to to about 2 1/2 months between fill ups.

Still love the car after almost 19 months.

Although, sadly, when arriving at work today I heard a weird high pitched sound coming from the left front wheel.It changed pitch as my speed slowed down.I’ll have to check it out when it gets light out but I will likely need to take it into the dealership to see what is causing that sound.

MrEnergyCzar

MrEnergyCzar

Dec 6th, 2012 (8:00 am)

I’ve done almost 15,000 EV miles… The billion mile mark should come just as fast with the growing number on the roads….

MrEnergyCzar

joe

joe

Dec 6th, 2012 (8:07 am)

bro1999: Sounds like a bad wheel bearing. Had the same symptoms in my GMC Terrain. Change in pitch according to speed.

Please let us know what is causing the noise. Usually a bad bearing makes a crunching noise, like metal grinding against metal.

FlemingFL

FlemingFL

Dec 6th, 2012 (8:09 am)

I’ve driven just over 15,000 miles on 35 gallons of gas!!! My friends who commute in full size pickups use that much fuel in a few weeks.

Dec 6th, 2012 (8:22 am)

With my grocery/gas discount, I paid $2.42 yesterday. Low gas prices make an EV choice really tough.

Roy_H

Roy_H

Dec 6th, 2012 (8:39 am)

I read somewhere that most of the Amperas sold in the Netherlands are purchased by corporations. These cars are then given to their employees. The employees must be able to bill their company for gas too, since they never plug in but use gas only. A system where plugging in costs them personally on their electric bill and literally free gas has negated the purpose of purchasing Amperas.

Dec 6th, 2012 (9:17 am)

Congratulations for all Volt owners! I still can’t buy a Volt and my VES is getting worse since 2010. But I hope the new 2013 year will be the year I get to see one for the first time and later buy one. If not, I can still expect the Chevy Spark EV to arrive.

Dec 6th, 2012 (9:27 am)

Loboc:

Look at the long term savings, including maintenance. You will continue to save money even if gas drops to $1.00 a gallon! Besides, you are helping to save the environment which itself is worth even more. An EV is the only choice now. Don’t go back to an ICE!

Dec 6th, 2012 (9:31 am)

Here’s my data since collecting in April. (I don’t know why GM’s data was screwy for stretches)

2012-12-06VoltMileageData.jpg

Dec 6th, 2012 (10:03 am)

Got my car in May 7 months ago.

Just had to put gas in it for the first time.

I’m using more gas now though as my desert digs are 76 miles (round trip) from the thriving metropolis of Payson, AZ (LOL).

I’m #12 in the rankings on cs MPG though at 49 MPG!! (Love that little 1.4)

001.jpg

Bonaire

Bonaire

Dec 6th, 2012 (10:46 am)

One of the more important points of not spending that money on gas is that the money goes towards local economy inputs. Grocery store, electric company, Chevy store (to buy the Volt), GM, etc. Where does our “gas money” go? Large, antiquated refineries, oil importers and eventually foreign countries. Pumped gasoline also has a lot of energy spent in the well to wheels lifecycle.

Getting my first oil change today – 7600 miles on the Volt. More gas miles than most of you guys but when I can do a 140 mile commute with a plug-in on the other side, the Volt still makes way more sense than anthing else – Prius, etc. The last three days, my total miles were about 180 miles and I used just over 2.5 gallons of gas.

Dec 6th, 2012 (10:49 am)

George S. Bower,

George – here’s a better picture for you.

Also, looking at Voltstats, they are back up to 1079 active Volts. Still have not recovered to the 1900 they were at a couple months ago.

GeorgeS.jpg

Dec 6th, 2012 (11:08 am)

kdawg,

Thx

Couldn’t figure out how to get a screenshot into photobucket as a jpg

Kent

Kent

Dec 6th, 2012 (11:25 am)

Here’s the stats on my two Volts. On the 2013 Volt, I purchased on August 27, 2012, which has nearly 4,800 miles and I’m still on the original tank of gas that came with the car.

Details for Volt #2012-00411 (Volt #4386):

MPGe: 88.62 #40 / 96.4%
    MPGCS: 33.74 #643 / 40.5%

Kent

Kent

Dec 6th, 2012 (11:31 am)

Dec 6th, 2012 (12:02 pm)

Kent: OT: Is anyone here using the Driver Challenge app? This app only links to my 2012 Volt no matter which Volt I select during log in. I’ve talked to the Volt Advisor, who only told me to email voltapp@chevrolet.com. Not surprisingly, I haven’t received a response.

Funny you bring this up. Today I cannot connect to OnStar in the VoltDC app. Every time I log in, it kicks me back out. My RemoteLink app still works.

pjkPA

pjkPA

Dec 6th, 2012 (12:07 pm)

This is all good stuff…
    Thanks for all this good info!

Now… where’s the info on the Voltec CUV progress!

Dec 6th, 2012 (12:07 pm)

The Volt billboard I see on the way to work evidently got fixed. This morning it showed 103 million + electric miles drive. So, according to kdawg’s numbers, it must lag a day or 2 behind. Still, pretty impressive. I wonder what the number will be a year from today, what with the slowly increasing number of Volts on the road.

We’re changing the world, one Volt at a time. 300 million wouldn’t surprise me. It doesn’t look right now like the President’s goal of 1 million EVs and EREVs will be met by 2015. But can you imagine the impact on the oil industry if and when it finally is?

Evan

Evan

Dec 6th, 2012 (12:10 pm)

Over 6000 miles since I got my Volt! 94% electric and still running on the original tank of gas! This is by far the best car I’ve ever driven.
    I probably won’t make it through the winter without putting in a few gallons. I’ve been flirting with that magic 25F temp for the last week or so.

Dec 6th, 2012 (12:14 pm)

Raymondjram: Besides, you are helping to save the environment which itself is worth even more.

True that. +1

AND keeping many $$$ at home thus helping with our disastrous balance of payments. AND reducing the need to spend $$$BILLIONS policing our foreign oil supplies and supply lines. AND wasting $$$ TRILLIONS on oil related wars, not to mention saving thousands of lives thereby. AND creating jobs in the USA. AND demonstrating to the world that U.S. car companies can be on the leading edge. It’s all good.

Dec 6th, 2012 (12:17 pm)

How many miles have the Ampera’s racked up? What about Volts that do not have OnStar? I think the real number of miles is actually higher than what is being reported.

Dec 6th, 2012 (12:17 pm)

Loboc:

BLIND GUY

BLIND GUY

Dec 6th, 2012 (12:26 pm)

These real world, gas saving, electrically driven miles are history in the making. So, what is going on with gas prices going down lately? Unfortunately, many people are not concerned about how much oil is being burned now and not concerned about future needs for other important products made with oil. The movie “Chasing Ice” is coming out soon and I am hoping that it will open more people’s eyes to the challenges coming forth. Whether you believe in man-made global warming or world-cycle climate change; there are some depressing predictions on the effects of all the methane that will be released into the atmosphere as more and more ice is melted. Who knows; maybe it will take world changing events to unite our political leaders. All I know is I feel like we are helping when we make real changes by example when we bought hybrids and finally our Chevy Volt, despite some people thinking we’re crazy.

Dec 6th, 2012 (12:56 pm)

My 2012 Black Volt – C-5277 is performing exactly at GM said it would.

For my regular driving patterns, I only use gasoline one day per week, and that is under one gallon. And I only used 49 gallons of gas all last year. I only have to fill up once every other month.

I like to look at it as a total cost of fuel per year.

My electric bill has gone up $25.00 per month, so that is $300.00 per year. 49 gallons of gas @ $3.50 per gallon is $171.50 per year. That is a total fuel cost of $471.50 per year. My previous car cost me just about $1700.00 in fuel for the year. So I am saving over $100.00 per month.

It makes driving fun again!!!!!

Go and buy a Volt – Forget about gas……………..

C-5277 – The Best Car I Have Ever Owned!

Dec 6th, 2012 (1:23 pm)

BLIND GUY:
    These real world, gas saving, electrically driven miles are history in the making.So, what is going on with gas prices going down lately?Unfortunately, many people are not concerned about how much oil is being burned now and not concerned about future needs for other important products made with oil.The movie “Chasing Ice” is coming out soon and I am hoping that it will open more people’s eyes to the challenges coming forth.Whether you believe in man-made global warming or world-cycle climate change; there are some depressing predictions on the effects of all the methane that will be released into the atmosphere as more and more ice is melted.Who knows; maybe it will take world changing events to unite our political leaders.All I know is I feel like we are helping when we make real changes by example when we bought hybrids and finally our Chevy Volt, despite some people thinking we’re crazy.

“How much does it cost me to get to work and back?” is the bottom line. Yeah, concern about these global issues might be important, however, it doesn’t hit anyone’s TCO.

Make gas prices higher and Evs will sell.

Dec 6th, 2012 (1:32 pm)

Noel Park: Well the way I look at it, we are doing our part to keep those prices as low as possible. As much as I hate putting gas in my Volt, I would rather pay $2.42 than $6.00.

BLIND GUY: So, what is going on with gas prices going down lately? Unfortunately, many people are not concerned about how much oil is being burned now and not concerned about future needs for other important products made with oil.

Jim I: But the real beauty of it is that I don’t care about what the current cost of gasoline is! If it goes to $5.00 per gallon, that is an additional cost to me of $6.00 per MONTH compared to gas at $3.50 per gallon.!!!! If it goes to $6.00/gal, that is an additional $10.00 per MONTH!

Maybe the Simspon-Bowles plan will be adopted & passed, which would raise the gas tax by 15 cents. I’m actually FOR more expensive gas. Not for profits to oil companies, but for tax revenue to be used for DOE projects. It also makes a better case for EV’s.

Dec 6th, 2012 (1:46 pm)

Jim I: If it goes to $6.00/gal, that is an additional $10.00 per MONTH!

Dec 6th, 2012 (2:00 pm)

Loboc: However, at $6/gal for fuel, groceries and shipping in general will double in price. Volt does not disconnect you from all the other ramifications.

Only groceries & products that are shipped significant distances would cost more. Meaning more local products would be purchased (which is a good thing). And in the cases where shipping costs increase, and companies are not able to pass this cost onto the consumer due to market pricing/competition, they will have to use more efficient means of shipping. Another option would be to lower corporate taxes, income taxes, and raise gas taxes. Make it tax nuetral. Goods shipped longer distances may not cost much more than now, people would have more money to afford them, but the cost of fuel would consume a bigger piece of the pie, thus putting a bigger magnifying glass on it. The companies that want to become more profitable would be more motivated to reduce fuel use.

Kind of interesting article

Dec 6th, 2012 (2:28 pm)

=====================

Absolutely, but I also would not have to make a choice between paying for gas to drive to work, or cut back a meal per day………….. So all in all, it does help with those other ramifications.

My last car used about 480 gal of gas per year. At $3.50/gal that is about $1700/yr. At $6.00/gal that is about $2900/yr, a difference of $1200/yr. The same distance traveled using my Volt would only be an additional $120/year. That gives me $1K to put to better uses in those ramifications you mentioned.

And IMHO, the days of really low cost oil are over. It goes way up and it comes back down some, but the long term trend is up. If anyone here really thinks that gas prices are going to drop back to under $3.00/gal for the long term, they are kidding themselves.

As far as TCO, I think the Volt is a winner there as well. After federal tax credit and trade in of my Crossfire, I paid $28K. My car is now 14 months old. Except for those 49 gallons of gas, I have not put any other money into this vehicle. I don’t see the first oil change for another year. Brakes are going to last a very long time, because of regenerative braking. The exhaust system should last the life of the car. The list goes on and on.

That is how I see it anyway……………..

C-5277

Dec 6th, 2012 (3:17 pm)

Jim I: Plus I don’t know about you, but the grocery/gas discounts only really save you any money on gas for about one tank per month or so. What about all the other times you have to fill up?

Kroger’s plan

2000 points = $20 cash

or $2/off 10 gallons = $20

or if you have 15 gallon tank = $30

So worse case, you are losing out an a $10 advantage by not getting gas, (unless you have a huge tank, 35gal max at Kroger)

Note you have to spend $2000 at Kroger to get this small savings. I don’t know about the rest of you, but I don’t think I have spent $2000 at Kroger in my lifetime. Even at the stores I shop at more, at most I’m spending $200/month, 10x less than what would be required.

Dec 6th, 2012 (3:57 pm)

kdawg: Why not just use the grocery rewards towards your next grocery purchase instead of gas?

Kroger’s plan

2000 points = $20 cash

or $2/off 10 gallons = $20

or if you have 15 gallon tank = $30

Note you have to spend $2000 at Kroger to get this small savings.I don’t know about the rest of you, but I don’t think I have spent $2000 at Kroger in my lifetime.Even at the stores I shop at more, at most I’m spending $200/month, 10x less than what would be required.

My wife does like to buy food, but I am not complaining – we do eat well………….

With Giant Eagle here in NE Ohio, I think the points all HAVE to go to gas purchases. For every $50 you spend in groceries, you get $0.10 per gallon of gas. You can use the discount whenever you want. If you save up the points, you can end up getting a free tank of gas.

Jim Mbongo

Jim Mbongo

Dec 6th, 2012 (4:49 pm)

Hi folks,

Just for information, according to The Detroit Bureau, Seven more fires reported in European Ford models with 1.6-liter EcoBoost. Problems with the 1.6-liter EcoBoost could snag some European models, such as the new Ford Kuga.

It is unclear if the problem in Europe is the same as what forced the U.S. recall – or one of several other recalls that have involved the new Escape, which was introduced earlier this year.

Ford has received reports of seven (7) fires in European vehicles using the 1.6-liter EcoBoost powertrain. That has led the maker to launch an investigation into potential powertrain problems outside the U.S., a company spokesman noted.

Not only the fuel economy claims for its Fusion Hybrid and C Max Enerji PH are most people wondering, but according to some, this fire problem could exist in other markets, as well.

Jim.-

Dec 6th, 2012 (7:41 pm)

Jim I: My wife does like to buy food, but I am not complaining – we do eat well………….

With Giant Eagle here in NE Ohio, I think the points all HAVE to go to gas purchases.For every $50 you spend in groceries, you get $0.10 per gallon of gas. You can use the discount whenever you want.If you save up the points, you can end up getting a free tank of gas.

Or you can sell those points to someone who has a plain ICE vehicle, and you use that money to buy more food.

Dec 6th, 2012 (9:51 pm)

OT: but I think the boat has sailed.

Keep this place in mind during your X-mas shopping. 100% American made.

Best quality stuff you can get.

nanometer

nanometer

Dec 7th, 2012 (1:13 am)

Jim Fallston Md.,

Jim, your stats are impressive and I would give you +10 if that would be allowed !
    A great example for using renewables to charge the Volt !!

Our [2012] Volt has a 4.1 kW DC ‘Solar supply’; in our 13 Month of use we drove ~ 8000+ miles using 34 Gal & 2220 kWh ( ~86% of the driving done on electric/solar power)

Since we do not drive that much (about 7600 mi/yr) our fuel savings compared to the Camry we had before is ‘only’ ~ $900/ yr.

The Volt = best car I have ever owned !