Jun 29

BMW i3 To Cost Between $43,000-$50,000

BMW’s pending all-electric i3 city car will reportedly sell for between 35,000-40,000 euros ($43,460-$49,670) when it goes on sale in 2014.

According to the German (language) magazine Automobilwoche the price was divulged by a source close to BMW and this fits previous reported estimates for the pending green car which is now being showcased on a tour along with its sportier i8 which will cost over 100,000 euros.

i3.door_.open_

The rear-wheel-drive i3 is a four-seater with good space utilization for a small car, and powered by a lithium-ion battery supplying energy to an electric motor supplying 170 horsepower and 184 pound-feet torque.

The estimated range is somewhere between 85-100 miles and sprints to 62 mph are said to be accomplished in under eight seconds.

It will also be offered with an optional range extender a la Chevy Volt, and that version will be called the REx.

Automobilwoche via BMW Blog

Addendum for Volt fans and the merely curious

Of course BMW along with its engineering talent including Frank Weber may come along and try to outdo the Volt in some way, but for now Volt drivers are the HAPPIEST DRIVERS ON THE PLANET.

If you have your doubts, just ask GM who rounded up a bunch of Volt drivers to explain.

Have a nice weekend everyone.

This entry was posted on Friday, June 29th, 2012 at 5:55 am and is filed under General. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

Jun 29th, 2012 (6:36 am)

Love these owner endorsements! Nice collection here.

Lyle was a genius to start this site. Good work Jeff!

Everyone have a great weekend. Remember to celebrate Independence day especially if one of the lucky Volt owners who are no longer dependant on gasoline!

James McQuaid

James McQuaid

Jun 29th, 2012 (6:44 am)

I saw the BMW i3 at the Detroit Auto Show and the Denver Auto Show. It’s great that BMW is bringing electric vehicles to market, but IMHO the i3 is not as nice as the Volt. I was quite surprised by how harshly austere the interior of the i3 is. The Volt is sumptuous in comparison.

Jun 29th, 2012 (7:06 am)

Mighty thin doors on that I3. I wonder how good side impact protection is.

Jun 29th, 2012 (8:11 am)

My feelings are hurt that GM didn’t call me for one of these commercials!!!!

C-5277

Simply The Best Car I Have Ever Owned

Jun 29th, 2012 (8:25 am)

So it looks like BMW has a Leaf-fighter, and a Volt fighter. Only time will tell how the real #’s compare. Hopefully BMW used liquid cooling so they do not have the same battery range problems as the Leaf.

(Does BMW have anything like OnStar?)

CarZin

CarZin

Jun 29th, 2012 (9:07 am)

No way, no how, will this car be priced under 50k in the U.S.. BMW, with their expensive touches, is NOT going to compete in the same space as GM for a pure electric car. I think this car will have a bottom pirce in the U.S. around 50k and likely go to 60k.

Steve

Steve

Jun 29th, 2012 (9:53 am)

I lost interest when I saw the price.

stuart22

stuart22

Jun 29th, 2012 (9:54 am)

I can’t help but feel this BMW EV is more about sizzle than it will be about steak. There seems to be an underlying desperation associated with it – the car is still a concept and they are already talking MSRP? To me, it smells like they are still in ‘test the waters’ stage.

I wonder if there is still disagreement within the BMW company as to how firmly the company should go down the EV path; as to which fork to take – full BEV or EREV? That range extension is to be an option suggests they are still on the fence about it.

Meanwhile, even though it was a bit late to the party, the Ampera has quickly begun to dominate the nascent EV market segment in Europe….. (when are automakers going to realize 90 mile range limited BEVs are no more than niche vehicles?)

Jun 29th, 2012 (10:52 am)

stuart22: when are automakers going to realize 90 mile range limited BEVs are no more than niche vehicles?

Jun 29th, 2012 (11:32 am)

Thanks Jeff for the fantastic videos over the weekend when more future buyers can enjoy them.

The problem with an EV is range, and the Volt has unlimited range with quick gas fill ups. The owners in the videos make this very clear.

At the $50,000 estimated price mentioned, the BMW has the range of a Leaf. A Tesla Model S is a much better deal with a 160 mile range. The best part is that not many will notice if you are driving the $57,000 Model S or the fully loaded $95,000 performance model with a 300 mile range.

Lyle

Lyle

Jun 29th, 2012 (11:58 am)

Larry4pyro

Larry4pyro

Jun 29th, 2012 (12:13 pm)

So it cab be either a pure EV or an extended range EV. I think BMW needs to worry about being a jack of all trades and master of none.

Jun 29th, 2012 (1:44 pm)

This is more or less a rear wheel drive Volt. The arrangement in the EREV version is more or less a copy though I’m not sure if it has planetary gearing like the Volt. Keep in mind that GM and BMW collaborated on the 2-Mode hybrid system which is sort of the inspiration for the Voltec drivetrain.

By the time it’s released in 2014 it will have a hard time competing with the ELR on the higher end and the Volt on the lower end, assuming it’s priced $50K or higher. The Infiniti EV should also be released by then. Just don’t know what the specs on that are.

Not counting questionable new arrivals (Tesla, Fisker, Amp), only three companies have an EV program: Nissan; GM; and BMW. It’s important that they all succeed, so I wish BMW success, but I’m concerned about the price points.

Roy_H

Roy_H

Jun 29th, 2012 (1:50 pm)

GM TAKE NOTE!

BMW is marketing the i3 in both versions, EREV and BEV. As should the Volt. Let the customer decide which is best for them. Don’t just offer one version.

Jun 29th, 2012 (1:53 pm)

Here’s another new ad for the Chevy Volt on “Common Misconceptions”.

Kent

Kent

Jun 29th, 2012 (2:06 pm)

For that kind of money, I’d rather go with the base model Tesla. I live in the East Bay of the SF Bay Area and I commute down 880 daily to my work in San Jose so I pass the Tesla facility every day. I’d rather buy American and buy local and look a helluva lot cooler!

Sean

Sean

Jun 29th, 2012 (2:23 pm)

Nice are these being advertise on TV?

They better be to wake the public up!

Not bad! Not bad at all keep it up.

Jun 29th, 2012 (2:30 pm)

The Volt is often compared to a BMW here, and other places; could be the i3 reflects a realization of this at Bimmer HQ.

Prediction: Hang on to something when you see the EREV price.

MTN Ranger

MTN Ranger

Jun 29th, 2012 (2:30 pm)

To all those who have seen the i3 concept car, the production version will be very different. The exterior will not have the see-through panels and other “concept-frilly” stuff. The interior will be standard utilitarian BMW, but not as austere as the concept.

The price is as expected – higher than the Volt ($40k), but lower than the Tesla ($60k). I find that offering both BEV and EREV to be an inspired approach. Expect very cool tech options that will push up the price (as typical to all BMWs).

If Fisker can manage to get the Atlantic EREV out in a reasonable timeframe, it should be major (and much nicer exterior) competitor in the same price range as the i3.

Jun 29th, 2012 (2:36 pm)

Sean:
    Nice are these being advertise on TV?

They better be to wake the public up!

Seems like I’ve seen some ads similar to this. Looks like GM has finally embraced something I’ve said here often: People will buy the Volt because it is better.

Jun 29th, 2012 (3:56 pm)

These Volt commercials are nice, CALM explanations and insights from happy Volt owners.
    But I think we need some guy like Crazy Eddie screaming from the top of his lungs about how the Volt will change the world.

I’m a happy Volt owner and I get excited about the fact that I use no gas 90% of the time. Although the Volt is a relaxing car to drive, because of its lack of vibration and noise, there is no reason you can’t have a commercial with an excited owner praising its virtues then getting in to drive away calmly. IMO some Crazy Eddie type of guy screaming about the Volt capabilities then getting into the car sighing in relief and driving away might make a good commercial.

NPNS!
    Volt#671

Jun 29th, 2012 (9:03 pm)

Jackson:

Prediction: Hang on to something when you see the EREV price.

Exactly Jackson,

the Volt is the best price per unit dollar of technology out there. Hands down.
    Especially if you consider that a lot of dealers in Ca and other places are discounting them around 2K off of MSRP.

I don’t think we will see these kinds of deals forever…especially when you figure the lease bargains from Ally Bank right now which of course include the 7500$ rebate..

For any of you that are considering a Volt,,

Now is the time to buy.

Jun 29th, 2012 (10:04 pm)

Nelson,

Great! +1 Loved the cellular phone, would be interesting to know how much they were selling them for even at blowout prices.

America1st

America1st

Jun 30th, 2012 (12:56 am)

Every electric car built in the World is one more move away from Middle-east terrorist funded oil. The car looks like it’s for the younger set. I prefer the Volt or Tesla personally. This is a great looker, just doesn’t look right for the traditional person who buys electrics right now – older, high income, anti-oil, typically supportive of USA made goods.

xiaowei1

xiaowei1

Jun 30th, 2012 (7:22 am)

Loboc: It’s a very large niche once people realize that they never drive that far between charges.For a lot of people a ~100mi range is WAY more than they need between charges. Heck, my wife doesn’t drive that far in a month! But, we need two cars for some occasions like when she picks up grand kids and I’m at work. I have to drive her car every once in a while to top off the battery and use the stale gas.There are many (like half) of the population in my neighborhood that only drive to church, grocery, doctor and pharmacy. Their cars are idle all day most days and their driving amounts to 10 miles between charges. (Good application for power line spike prevention.)These scenarios are where inductive/wireless charging will be a huge sales point. Just park it and forget it.. and never use gasoline or change oil ever again!

From memory stuart22 is also from Australia. In OZ, very few people live in the city proper – it’s a place to find businesses and hotels, not long term accommodation – we have it, but it’s a minor percentage; we mostly live in the suburbs. As such, cities by area are huge – Sydney has an area of about 12,145 km2. By comparison, New York covers 11,642 km2 with a population about 5 times that of Sydney. I imagine this is the backdrop of what Stuart22 bases his comment on.

in Oz, it’s quite common to be 30 to 40km from work. Even i have a 40km commute each day, often finding myself having to drive to other locations which go well beyond what this car is capable of one charge. In Sydney 1 to 2 hour commuting one way is quite common. If you live in Brisbane and want to go down to the gold coast it’s a 60km+ drive. A realistic range of 90 miles (144km) will get you there and back, but pray there are no traffic jams and the mileage is as advertised. The reality is you would not do such a trip in this car which is a very common trip to make. Very few people would even contemplate buying a car at such a premium price to be told they could not go to the gold coast unless they had a second car; which kind of defeats the purpose of a pure electric car.

pat

pat

Jun 30th, 2012 (8:04 am)

Just wonder those who live in Australia what is the price of a gallon? in US $ ? I dont know whether they have huge oil reserves and gas is cheap so folks drive cars 1-2 hrs commute . Atleast gas is cheap in US comparatively to europe and many other places in the world..

Xiaowei1

Xiaowei1

Jun 30th, 2012 (10:07 am)

1 US gallon = 3.78541178 litres
    1.00 (US) = 0.976849 (AU)

Prices fluctuate throughout the week and from station to station. Motormouth.com.au says the cheapest fuel in my home city is $1.265 with the most expensive being $1.399. There seems to be absolutely no consistency throughout the week – the speculation for this is of course price gouging which is probably correct; that said, prices this week are cheaper than I have seen for a while.

A couple of weeks ago it was well over $1.50 a litre, but this week it was down to $1.30 where I usually go. Petrol however often hovers just above $1.40. If we pay about $1.40 a litre, this would work out to about $5.30 (being $5.42(US)) a gallon. That is not a good gage though, as it really does go over $1.50 a litre at the drop of a hat which would increase prices to about $5.67 (5.80US).

E10 (our term for 10% ethanol diluted petrol) will be about 5 cents cheaper per litre.

Steve

Steve

Jun 30th, 2012 (11:37 am)

For a lot of people a ~100mi range is WAY more than they need between charges. Heck, my wife doesn’t drive that far in a month! But, we need two for some occasions like when she picks up grand kids and I’m at work. I have to drive her car every once in a while to top off the battery and use the stale gas.

There are many (like half) of the population in my neighborhood that only drive to church, grocery, doctor and pharmacy. Their cars are idle all day most days and their driving amounts to 10 miles between charges. (Good application for line spike prevention.)

These scenarios are where inductive/wireless charging will be a huge sales point. Just it and forget it.. and never use gasoline or change oil ever again!

Maybe so, but a couple of weeks ago I ended up driving 200 miles in one day just doing chauffering and errands. Two days later I drove about 140 miles. Both were unplanned somewhat urgent situations. No current production battery car could have met my needs. An EREV could. Sure, most of the time I’m probably in that 40 miles range. When not, I’d have to drive another vehicle or rent something. When it’s an unscheduled event, that just makes it harder. Range anxiety is not just anxiety it’s a real liability.

America1st

America1st

Jun 30th, 2012 (11:43 am)

Looks a good deal similar to the Volt SUV coming. In the booklet GM sent to volt owners, it’s on page 72. Even the wheels look the same. Nonetheless, welcome to the party – the more EVs in mass production, the better the economies of scale and much greater likelihood the highway charging stations will stand up sooner. I hope all the EVs succeed – all of them.

Jun 30th, 2012 (3:25 pm)

Xiaowei1: If we pay about $1.40 a litre, this would work out to about $5.30 (being $5.42(US)) a gallon. That is not a good gage though, as it really does go over $1.50 a litre at the drop of a hat which would increase prices to about $5.67 (5.80US).

Ouch! It’s good for us to be reminded how lucky we actually are. +1 But it can’t last forever.

Jul 1st, 2012 (1:31 pm)

Noel Park: #27

Ouch!It’s good for us to be reminded how lucky we actually are.+1But it can’t last forever.

I wouldn’t say we are lucky. We are paying for artificially cheap gas one way or another. I’d rather have the price reflect the true cost at the pump so people can make better decisions about their transportation.

America1st

America1st

Jul 1st, 2012 (1:46 pm)

Deploying to Italy, two of the local nationals working for me hardly ever ventured beyone 25 miles despite living in a beautiful country. The reason – $100 to fill up a tiny tank. And that was 15 years ago. Time for us to get off this filthy middle east heroin. ALL of us. Welcome BMW to the party. What’s good for one EV maker seems to be good for all.

My next addition in the garage is the Tesla S.