Apr 17

2013 model year Volt trim and options revealed

If reports are correct, over the weekend, GM released specifics about a host of model year trim and options changes for the 2013 Volt.

Perhaps the big news is an EV Hold mode – a la Ampera – and deletion of the black-colored roof and rear liftgate.

We do not have photos of the new models which will have body colored roof and liftgates, nor have we seen pricing, and GM’s media site sure doesn’t mention the changes at all.

Another deletion of note is the 30 GB hard drive, and they’re changing the five-spoke wheels to a new design of five-spoke painted wheels – haven’t seen them either.

Although GM has not confirmed it, a GM-Volt reader with the initials GSB has maintained that Crystal Red Metallic as shown on this Volt with the polished wheels is the fastest color, and others have widely agreed.

According to gmauthorityy.com, a new paint color – Silver Topaz Metallic – will be available, and while we could go on, we’ll just list all reported additions, subtractions, and changes with thanks to GMAuthority.com.

It and GMInsideNews reported it, and http://rumors.automobilemag.com/2013-volt-rumored-to-get-ev-mode-body-trim-color-changes-125609.html grabbed the news also but hedged the report calling it a “rumor.”

Deletions
• (AFC) Jet Black and Green seats
• (AFF) Light Neutral seats
• (UFV) Audio system with DVD-ROM navigation
• 30GB hard drive
• (PCW) Rear Camera and Park Assist Package
• (UD5) Front and Rear Park Assist
• (RSB) 17″ 5-spoke forged painted aluminum wheels

New Features
• (GWS) Silver Topaz Metallic exterior color
• (AFK) Urban Premium Cloth
• (AFJ) Urban leather-appointed seats with suede inserts
• (UHQ) Audio system with navigation, Color Touch AM/FM stereo with CD player and MP3 playback capability, navigation and USB port, 7″ diagonal touch-screen display, GPS navigation system and Radio Data System (RDS)
• (DA1) rear center armrest with storage
• (PCM) Comfort Package, includes (KA1) heated driver and front passenger seats and (N30) leather-wrapped steering wheel
• (V7X) Safety Package 1, includes (DD8) auto-dimming inside rearview mirror, (UD7) Rear Park Assist and (UVC) Rear Camera View
• (V7Y) Safety Package 2, includes (UDF) Front Park Assist, (UEU) Forward Collision Alert and (UFL) Lane Departure Warning
• (UD7) Rear Park Assist (included only with (V7X) Safety Package 1)
• (UEU) Forward Collision Alert (included only with (V7Y) Safety Package 2)
• (UFL) Lane Departure Warning (included only with (V7Y) Safety Package 2)
• (UDF) Front Park Assist (included only with (V7Y) Safety Package 2)
• (WQX) 17″ 5-spoke painted aluminum wheels
• (PCV) Low Emissions Package (Enhanced AT-PZEV emissions)
• NEW EV Hold drive mode (in addition to Normal, Sport and Mountain modes)

Changes
• (UP9) Chevrolet MyLink Touch, includes Bluetooth for audio and compatible with select phones
• (D31) manual day/night inside rearview mirror is now standard and (DD8) auto-dimming inside rearview mirror is now included in (V7X) Safety Package 1
• (UVC) Rear Vision Camera is now included only with (V7X) Safety Package 1
• Leather-appointed seats change from perforated to non-perforated
• Roof and liftgate now body-color

While we’re all imagining – including James, who asked me to post these pictures of the Z-Spec Volt shown at the 2010 SEMA show – GM has shown itself inspired in kitting the Volt already. Again, this is not the 2013 model, but does show a painted rear liftgate.

Note that the 2013 Volt will get the optional MyLink system on models equipped with the navigation system, and available lane departure warning and forward collision alert.

GMInsideNews says “Much larger changes are expected for the 2014 Volt,” but not surprisingly, that is all that was said.

We do not know who at GM might have said “much larger” changes are “expected” but do any of you GM-Volt readers? If you’ve heard anything definitive, please do tell.

Also, does anyone wish GM would release an Ampera-styled car here, maybe badged as a Buick?

This entry was posted on Tuesday, April 17th, 2012 at 5:55 am and is filed under General. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

Apr 17th, 2012 (6:26 am)

I’ll confine my suggestions/comments primarily to drive-train improvements, although (ala James)
    I strongly favor the Z-Spec concept styling, including the wheels, in the two pics above. And as a segue to the subject of drive train, these styling tweaks would be a GREAT way to introduce a highly-
    distinctive, SS version of the Volt!

A Volt SS version should be a no-brainer for GM marketing, given the almost ravenous appetite the current US automobile market is exhibiting for 500+ HP models. And Fisker’s Karma & Atlantic are no slouches —nor are Tesla’s S models or Infinity’s or BMW’s forth-coming EVs! GM clearly needs
    to respond with an optional SS drive train that can achieve 0-60 times of <6 secs! The engineering involved would be very straight forward and should NOT involve any really fundamental limitations (GM: email me at the address behind my avatar here for detailed suggestions/design approaches)!

Apr 17th, 2012 (7:05 am)

PS to post #1: I have emailed the text of this comment to a member of GM’s Volt Marketing team.

/If they don’t offer a 2013 Volt SS, perhaps we’ll see a 2014 SS option with 0-60 times of <6 secs!

Jean-Charles Jacquemin

Jean-Charles Jacquemin

Apr 17th, 2012 (7:11 am)

nasaman,

Thanks nasaman, I’m for it too.

JC NPNS

Gsned57

Gsned57

Apr 17th, 2012 (7:18 am)

Nasaman I like where you are going but want to suggest the other end of the spectrum. Is there anyway to knock the price down 25%? I don’t know if it is possible but @22500 after tax incentives would bring sales past the Prius. Since that probably can’t happen Im still waiting for my Voltec minivan! Maybe 2014 but I won’t hold my breath

Kup

Kup

Apr 17th, 2012 (7:30 am)

I particularly liked Jeff and George teaming up on this little beaut of a caption….”a GM-Volt reader with the initials GSB has maintained that Crystal Red Metallic as shown on this Volt with the polished wheels is the fastest color, and others have widely agreed”. Classic!

malcolm Scott

malcolm Scott

Apr 17th, 2012 (7:45 am)

Now that the 2013 build config is published, we can look forward to GM Holden doing something interactive with it’s Volt web site. I was wondering if we should have been sending flowers down to Port Melbourne in mourning given the how little interaction there has been of late.

for the record:

ziv

ziv

Apr 17th, 2012 (7:47 am)

Apr 17th, 2012 (8:07 am)

Deletions
    • (UPF) Bluetooth for phone
    • 30GB hard drive

WHY! These are the two features I use often. Maybe the 30GB hard drive will be replaced with a 60GB? Looks like GM would rather have owners pay OnStar for phone minutes instead of Bluetooth for phone. That tactic will backfire.

NPNS!
    Volt#671

Bonaire

Bonaire

Apr 17th, 2012 (8:14 am)

Good to see the Hold Mode.

I know it’s been discussed, but I think Volt could benefit with a Hold+ mode.
    While Hold-mode would hold SOC at its current level and run the engine at alternate RPMs based on power requirements, I would like to see a Hold+ mode.

This mode would run the engine at “optimal RPM” which tends to be higher than typical RPM used in CS-mode. Running the engine at optimal RPM would not be as “pleasurable” though and would be at the driver’s discretion. Now, what would Hold+ mode be?

You have a long drive to do. Yes, Volt is a “drive anywhere” car and at times, road trips are necessary. Hold mode would be nice to keep SOC up until you enter a city. However, Hold+ would be used on longer drives so that you can deplete your CD-mode while on the highway and then you hit Hold+ mode to both propel you and also using the extra power, charge the battery up to perhaps 75% SOC. Then once there, a tone could sound to indiate “Hold+ Full” or even perhaps auto-switch to CD-mode to make sure you never charge “too highly”. You then continue another 40 miles on CD-mode which is more efficient than full-time CS-mode.

What is the time it takes to go from bottom-SOC to Mountain Mode level? Then extrapolate that time to reach 75% SOC. So, alternating between CD-mode and Hold+ mode would allow for a large-scale pulse and glide for someone driving, say, from NY to FL or across Kansas or trips to Chattanooga.

One minor problem here is both Mountain Mode and Hold+ would be modes that GM should also engineer-in the cell-balancing circuits. Right now, cell-balancing only occurs when plugged into an EVSE. Excessive non-balanced recharging and regenning can swing some cells out of balance and you don’t want them ever to go outside the safe zone of 3.2-4.0V for best longevity of the pack. Cost-wise, it is “unwise” to replace an entire pack module when one cell goes bad and without good BMS (balancing, primarily) then there is some risk of causing a warranty claim if cells are not constantly well-balanced.

Anyone follow this thinking? For at least a year now, the Press has stated “and the engine recharges the batteries”. Well, this mode would make them start telling the truth. But perhaps the reason to do it is to allow for a higher average mpg on long trips.

If not Hold+ – make it a “HM” mode – Highway Mode. Some folks must be doing long trips – how would this work for you?

Mark

Mark

Apr 17th, 2012 (8:20 am)

I would think because of performance issues, an RS model would be more appropriate for this EV unless something else could come in 2014.

Bonaire

Bonaire

Apr 17th, 2012 (8:30 am)

ziv: Nasaman nailed it, though Gsned has a point as well. The Volt SS is very important to broadening the appeal of the Volt in the years to come. Obviously, the price of the regular Volt has to come down, but if GM offered the milder equivalent of a CTS-V in a Volt SS with more power and a more capable suspension, it would really attract a lot of attention. But Gsned’s suggestion is the one that will make or break the long term success of the Volt. GM needs to get the net price below $30,000 soon or the sales will not continue to rise. Build the economies of scale into the electric intent parts and drive the price down as quickly as possible. Reopening Hamtramck early yesterday is a huge first step in that direction.

True, it does also plays into costs too – and Volt SS could make it more expensive rather than helping lower the costs for more buyers. I used to look at “race bred” technology and sportier cars as being more attractive. Until I got older (late 40s now) and actually started making good money and could afford what many people go into debt for (ie. 6-year payments on a Corvette or Camaro). I realize now that being a bit more conservative is what most of us consumers live day to day. Let’s say the Volt SS sells for $50K. Not much different than a Corvette, right? But sports car afficianatos like RWD and the engine tones of an ICE. I doubt a Volt SS would fly until EVs have flown for a good number of years and are not a chuckle-point among the testosterone crowd. Most of the Volts sold in my area have been the base models – models which get people into the car without all the added options. So, lowering the costs and spreading the EREV word is far more appealing from a marketing point.

I’m not saying the Volt SS is a bad idea – I’m saying it’s a niche market and attractive to a select few (and those who could afford it who also would choose it over an M3, ‘Vette, 540, Camaro, etc.). Given the number of SUVs, minivans and other crossovers on the road – wouldn’t a Volt puffed up into a CUV be more attractive to the mass market? Like Prius V is now drawing a newer segment of buyer into their product. The Volt is fine as a start, but a Volt-wagon would actually be more attractive to me. The number of unit-sales of SS-models is always far lower than the base models that they are taken from. Adding a lower unit sales version at a higher price with a sports package may be more better solved with the Cadillac EV model coming out.

Apr 17th, 2012 (8:44 am)

Nelson: Deletions
    • (UPF) Bluetooth for phone
    • 30GB hard drive

I thought the same thing. Bummer. My only guess is that they are tring to cut costs. Between removing these things, and using just 1 paint color now, I would expect at least a mild price drop for the base Volt. But I would not be surprised if the loaded Volt price went up again, just like the 2012 did.

Apr 17th, 2012 (9:03 am)

Here’s some pics from the forums where someone painted the black areas white.

attachment.php?attachmentid=1382&d=1300037887

EPOWER

EPOWER

Apr 17th, 2012 (9:22 am)

Here is my best guess of what’s (or is it watts) to come:
    New lower priced Volt (Low 30’s?)
    A Buick-Volt in the mid 40’s
    The Cadillac ELR priced in the mid 50’s

Any other guesses?

Apr 17th, 2012 (9:29 am)

What changed from the EPA’s standpoint, that now allows the Volt to have an EV Hold Mode?

Belleville Thug

Belleville Thug

Apr 17th, 2012 (9:33 am)

(click to show comment)

Steve

Steve

Apr 17th, 2012 (9:39 am)

I’d like to see the engine be flex-fuel capable. I’m even more interested in pricing information, of course I don’t really expect them to even hint at that yet.

Apr 17th, 2012 (9:41 am)

Bonaire: I doubt a Volt SS would fly until EVs have flown for a good number of years and are not a chuckle-point among the testosterone crowd.

They made a Cobalt SS. Dodge made a Neon SRT. Both of these cars aren’t really performance in their original trim. The Neon SRT4 was a sleeper-screamer. 0-60 under 6 seconds.

I think an SS version (or at least LTZ) is a good draw for the showroom. Lots of folks drool over Camaro SS and Challenger SRT, but, end up buying an LT or SXT model because of cost. The body looks the same in general. Some V-6 trim levels even come with dual exhaust.

A Volt drivetrain can generate a bunch more power than they are currently doing. Just take the ICE (a bigger one) power and add it to the drive motors. You should get around 400hp which is SS territory no matter how much testosterone ya got. Sport mode has a whole new meaning when you double the HP by pressing a button.

Is far as Ampera. Heck yeah. Add a Buick Electra badge and sell me one!

atl-jb

atl-jb

Apr 17th, 2012 (9:49 am)

Glad I got a 2012 with the bluetooth. I like it and my wife loves it. Big mistake to drop it, IMO.

REB

REB

Apr 17th, 2012 (9:59 am)

After reading about the mostly humdrum improvements in the 2013 I’m just salivating over the wave of 2011 and 2012 loaded used Volts that will be coming onto the market with the end of all those leases starting in 2013. If GM would provide a retrofit for the Ampere’s Hold Mode I could die happy.

Neromanceres

Neromanceres

Apr 17th, 2012 (10:00 am)

Click the link below. Select print model and click print and it will give you a PDF of the 2013 order book.

Apr 17th, 2012 (10:09 am)

kdawg: I thought the same thing.Bummer.My only guess is that they are tring to cut costs.Between removing these things, and using just 1 paint color now, I would expect at least a mild price drop for the base Volt. But I would not be surprised if the loaded Volt price went up again, just like the 2012 did.

Agreed . Looks they are going to de content the baseline model again to bring the cost down a little. A good thing.

I like getting rid of the black. That definitely improves the looks. I hope they don’t replace the wheels with a less attractive design.

Apr 17th, 2012 (10:33 am)

Red is for wannabies!!!!

🙂

C-5277

Apr 17th, 2012 (10:35 am)

George S. Bower: I hope they don’t replace the wheels with a less attractive design.

Below is the info from the 2013 order catalog. Looks like you can still get the polished aluminum ones. There’s no pics of the new ones, but I have to imagine the sport ones are the same as the 2012. I also attached that picture.

2013wheels.jpg

Sportwheels.jpg

Apr 17th, 2012 (10:36 am)

Jim I: Sorry, but my black 2012 Volt # C5277 with polished wheels is the fastest Volt on the road………
    Red is for wannabies!!!!

C-5277

Black FTW!

Apr 17th, 2012 (10:37 am)

Neromanceres:
    Guy’s and Gal’s stop freaking out Bluetooth is not going anywhere.I believe It’s being replaced and incorporated into they Chevy Mylink which will be standard on all 2013 Volts.

Thx for the pdf

on p15 it looks like the light neutral (tan) leather inserts in the leather has been replaced by “ceramic white”

Am I reading this correctly ?? (I hope not)

Apr 17th, 2012 (10:44 am)

Neromanceres: Guy’s and Gal’s stop freaking out Bluetooth is not going anywhere. I believe It’s being replaced and incorporated into Chevy Mylink which will be standard on all 2013 Volts.

Here’s the line item. Good catch.

mylink.jpg

Apr 17th, 2012 (10:47 am)

A left-drive version of the Ampera is the quickest, cheapest way for GM to proliferate the Voltec line in the US. I’m not saying I would buy one over a Volt (I’m in the minority, I think the Ampera’s front styling is weird), but I think it’s a no-brainer.

I think the styling would’ve flown better as a Pontiac, but what can you do?

Apr 17th, 2012 (10:48 am)

George S. Bower: Thx for the pdf
    Am I reading this correctly ?? (I hope not)

I think they got replaced with “Urban leather-appointed seats with suede inserts”. Now, what is “Urban”?

I like the white accents on the seats (or some kind of accent, other than red) but I dont want the white console in the center. Mabye the “urban” leather seats will have noticable suede accents, and I can still get the black center console. I wonder if they are keeping the door inserts?

Dickson

Dickson

Apr 17th, 2012 (10:59 am)

Apr 17th, 2012 (11:01 am)

kdawg: I think they got replaced with “Urban leather-appointed seats with suede inserts”.Now, what is “Urban”?

I like the white accents on the seats (or some kind of accent, other than red) but I dont want the white console in the center.Mabye the “urban” leather seats will have noticable suede accents, and I can still get the black center console.I wonder if they are keeping the door inserts?

I think your right. That’s good. IMO the natural leather inserts and polished wheels really make a night and day difference on the car. (I don’t care for the white plastic accents that come std).

Are they keeping the white plastic interior trim as std on the 2013??

Apr 17th, 2012 (11:02 am)

nasaman: GM clearly needs

Apr 17th, 2012 (11:57 am)

George S. Bower: I like getting rid of the black. That definitely improves the looks.

I agree. +1

Apr 17th, 2012 (12:02 pm)

Dickson: The front end of the volt looks the same as a Cruise and a Malibu. I think they should make it distictive and unique but not as radical as an Ampera.

6a00d83451b3c669e2016303c5788e970d-800wi

Apr 17th, 2012 (12:05 pm)

DonC: Price is a bigger issue than performance. In regular traffic you can already beat everything else off the line, and there will be an ELR for this niche.

I agree. +1

Not to be a contrarian, LOL, but I would prefer to see an optional “Eco Volt” with the ICE engine management system recalibrated to give 50+ mpg. We know it’s doable, because a GM engineer said a long time ago that they consciously traded away a few mpg to get better NVH.

Gas mileage bragging rights = big marketing advantage IMHO.

Apr 17th, 2012 (12:09 pm)

kdawg: However the blocked silver grille is unique. I know it got knocked by some when it was first shown, but I liked it just for the reasons you mention. It’s different. Nissan liked it so much they copied it.

Yeah, I knocked it myself. I thought that it was just sort of a non-functional foo foo add on. My feeling was don’t bother and save the $20 or whatever it cost, LOL. But I have to confess that it has sort of grown on me. To my shock, I found myself looking at mine and kind of liking it just the other day. So +1 to you for superior taste, hahaha.

mitch

mitch

Apr 17th, 2012 (12:23 pm)

Belleville Thug,
    While I will not comment on the post in reference to them “losing” money (because hey a tech has all the accounting figures right? am I right?) but rather that if they are losing 80k they cannot “come down” to 0, they are below it. They can reduce it to 0, or get to 0. in losses (again I debate that).

Its like people who say its 120% efficient, you cannot create energy (or whatever) because by definition 100% is perfect.

tom w

tom w

Apr 17th, 2012 (12:28 pm)

I was hoping for a sparse trim level without any of the bells and whisltes or on star.
    I guess they just don’t want to address the market (me) waiting for their EREV drive train and nothing else.

Just listend to Rush talking about his friend Bob Lutz, and how he has nothing against elec cars, but that they are about a problem that doesn’t exist – oil. He says the cars supporters think it is for people who think oil is evil and Rush says oil is great, it is a great fuel.

He still doesn’t listen to what the car should be sold as. Its not about avoiding fossil fuels its about using DOMESTIC fuels (nuclear, wind, coal, natural gas to make electricity) instead of imported fuel.

He just keeps MISSING THE WHOLE POINT.

Why can’t GM convey this very simple point that all people will agree on.

Its a really good idea to buy a car that uses domestic fuel instead of incremental (marginal) imported oil.

The Volt is in it’s second year and people still don’t know what the car and its technology can do for our economy. They still think its just about being GREEN.

Bruce Embry

Bruce Embry

Apr 17th, 2012 (12:36 pm)

Deleting the Hardrive and Blue Tooth is OK with me. All I need is a 1/8 inch stereo jace for my MiniDisc player and I will be happy. I really hate the way that MP3s sound.

Apr 17th, 2012 (12:53 pm)

kdawg: Nelson

Thanks.

NPNS!
    Volt#671

Apr 17th, 2012 (12:59 pm)

I notice a lot of websites are incorrectly reporting “heated steering wheel”.

Apr 17th, 2012 (1:08 pm)

No Bluetooth is crazy. It should be standard on every car as it is a safety feature.

MichaelH

MichaelH

Apr 17th, 2012 (1:17 pm)

Mark Z:

Mark, read comments 21 and 27. Now breath. 😉

Truman

Truman

Apr 17th, 2012 (1:37 pm)

tom w:

He still doesn’t listen to what the car should be sold as.Its not about avoiding fossil fuels its about using DOMESTIC fuels (nuclear, wind, coal, natural gas to make electricity) instead of imported fuel.

He just keeps MISSING THE WHOLE POINT.

Rush, and a whole block of ignorant Americans, think that the US could vastly increase its domestic oil production so that the US doesn’t have to import oil “if only…”

They see estimates of shale oil “reserves” being something like 600 billion barrels, and think the US has more crude oil than Saudi Arabia. They think there are vast untapped reserves in the coastal regions, or hidden under wildlife refuges. They think that US oil production peaked in 1970 because … well, actually I’m not sure if they even know about that one.

The key concept these people miss is “rate of production”. It doesn’t matter if a million square miles of Western states have 600 billion barrels of “oil equivalent” if you dig up 3000 feet of dirt underneath the trees – it can’t be processed quickly enough to make up for the 9 million barrels/day of imported crude oil the US consumes. The oil sands of Canada have the same problem – they are running out of water to process theses deposits (they’re taking entire rivers) and will never replace the RATE of production coming from pumping crude oil from reservoirs like Ghawar in Saudi Arabia.

And when the big oilfield oil production peaks and decreases – like at Cantarell in Mexico, and Burgan in Kuwait – it takes more and more tiny projects (oil sands, shale oil, deepwater drilling) to make up for the lost production and actually ADD to global production.

tom w

tom w

Apr 17th, 2012 (1:49 pm)

Truman: People like Rush don’t see the value of electric vehicles, because they are IGNORANT of the oil situation.

Actually I think with Rush, he is just a pure capitalist which is ok. Its ok to import things when it is a lot cheaper than we can make it ourselves. We started importing oil and reduced domestic production 40 years ago because the oil in the middle east was cheaper.

Now it isn’t cheap and it causes instability being dependent.

So as you say the oil situation is different than 40 years ago. So technology is here to solve our problem. EREV/EVs will do a lot to reduce imported oil, but the price point hasn’t been reached yet where people like me can go to them.

My local gas is $3.55 in Ohio now – comparing current car over 100,000 miles
    $4 gas = $10k savings means can afford a volt at Net of credit $29k (need a price reduction)
    $5 gas = $13.3k savings could justify a Volt at Net of credit $32.k BINGO

I want things that help our economy and create jobs. But I also hate short sighted thinking. I am not against drilling for more oil, but I don’t understand why people are in such a hurry to use up our resources.

It only makes sense to have cars powered by electricity where we can vary the power source (Including wind, nuclear, natural gas, COAL)

Jeff Cobb

Jeff Cobb

Apr 17th, 2012 (2:13 pm)

Nelson: This means Jeff needs to edit the piece and list Bluetooth under Changes not Deletions.
    Thanks.

NPNS!
    Volt#671

Roger that. Per kdawg –

Changes
    • (UP9) Chevrolet MyLink Touch, includes Bluetooth for audio and select phones

Roy H

Roy H

Apr 17th, 2012 (2:43 pm)

tom w: My local gas is $3.55 in Ohio now – comparing current car over 100,000 miles
    $5 gas = $13.3k savings could justify a Volt at Net of credit $32.k BINGO

tom w

tom w

Apr 17th, 2012 (2:48 pm)

Roy H: In Canada gas is $1.38/litre = $5.22/US gal. Electricity is about $0.13/kwh so about $3250/100k miles. So $15k gas – $3.3k electricity = $11,700 savings. And we get $10k from the Ontario government. Easy to justify here.

Apr 17th, 2012 (2:54 pm)

nasaman: perhaps we’ll see a 2014 SS option with 0-60 times of <6 secs!

I’ll second that emotion! Only thing I would do different, is make it available in 2013.

Paul

Paul

Apr 17th, 2012 (3:03 pm)

I’m just hoping they expand the market to other countries.

Apr 17th, 2012 (3:06 pm)

tom w: Sure we have enough oil for 200 years, but don’t we care about people here in 200 years, they might want to use a little oil themselves.

Also oil can be used for many useful things besides burning in our transportation. You can turn oil into energy but you can’t turn energy into oil. (not referring to bio-fuels, but crude oil)

I would like to ask Rush, if we found an unlimited supply of oil (basically it’s price becomes $0/barrel), while simultaneously finding a unlimited supply of electricity, which energy source should we focus on to power our cars and why?

Apr 17th, 2012 (3:08 pm)

kdawg: I notice a lot of websites are incorrectly reporting “heated steering wheel”.

Ya sure as heck don’t need a heated steering wheel in Texas. It’s usually around 130F!

MTN Ranger

MTN Ranger

Apr 17th, 2012 (3:32 pm)

The rear should look more like this:

attachment.php?attachmentid=5381&d=1334683107

Apr 17th, 2012 (3:36 pm)

tom w: Thats a good point. I’m surprised Canada sales aren’t through the roof. Could it be folks are worried about cold winters? Still there must be lots of folks in canada with attached garages.

I think it’s a problem w/supply at this point. Again, why isn’t Hamtramck running fuel steam for exports?

Carl S

Carl S

Apr 17th, 2012 (3:45 pm)

kdawg:

This.

Anyone here know how the Hod EV mode is now available? Would make for an excellent question if another web chat on the Volt is scheduled.

If certain hardware only included in 2013 Volt production is needed, then so be it. But if not, I’m sure there’s at least a few 2011/2012 Volt owners that would gladly take a software upgrade to enable Hold EV mode (and the KWh used display from the 2012s)!

Islander

Islander

Apr 17th, 2012 (4:08 pm)

They should send a Volt to West Coast Customs and see how they would breath more life into the car! … And A little more power under the pedal.

It would be wise for GM to make an econo Volt AND an SS or RS type option. The Volt is far from the jelly bean econo design that some cars have and I hate. However, I really think the Volt should have a more aggressive “electric” voltage styling. I’m not a designer however many foreign ICE cars have more of an electric look than the Volt. Like the new Audis, Lexus, infinity (see pic at #34 above) or others. Even the Ampera has a little more aggressive styling which I personally like.

I wonder what the real GM designers would say about the design process in an anonymous environment? Were their hands tied or are they just boring and out of touch? Based on GM’s marketing of the Volt I question what the heck is going on over there?

I can’t afford jack right now but my next car will be an EREV of some type. I hope they will keep up with the future competition so I can buy an electric Volt or it’s spin off.

Thanks.
    Dave

Truman

Truman

Apr 17th, 2012 (7:32 pm)

tom w: We started importing oil and reduced domestic production 40 years ago because the oil in the middle east was cheaper.

Now it isn’t cheap and it causes instability being dependent.

I think you are missing a very important point – the US peaked in oil production in 1970 INVOLUNTARILY. They did not decide to “reduce domestic production because the oil in the middle east was cheaper” – they were still drilling and pumping flat out, but oil wells have a natural bell curve of production. Any finite region has a natural bell curve of production values, too, and the US hit the peak of its production – a GEOLOGIC limit – in 1970.

That decline occurred despite the discovery and development of the supergiant field in Alaska’s Prudhoe Bay, despite the fact that the U.S. drilled as many feet of exploratory and development wells between 1981-1985 as it had from 1951-1965, despite the fact that an increasing fraction of U.S. crude oil production has been coming from under the sea (and that from ever-increasing depths), and despite tremendous technological advances over this period.

The US imports 9 million barrels/day of crude oil.
    The increases in US oil production in the last 3 years have been tiny – on the order of 0.4 million barrels/day, for the BIGGEST annual increase (2009 vs 2008). 0.12 and 0.18 are the increases the other two years.

The US cannot be self-sufficient in oil anymore, because of PRODUCTION RATES – unless they get oil demand way down (by HALF or more), by using vehicles like the Chevy Volt.

Daryl

Daryl

Apr 17th, 2012 (10:45 pm)

I’m surprised that with collision alert it doesn’t have Adaptive Cruise Control. That typically uses the same radar system. I just bought a Volt, but might have waited if I had thought ACC was coming in the fall. Actually kind of relieved that it isn’t, so I am not filled with regret!

Eugene in LA

Eugene in LA

Apr 17th, 2012 (11:11 pm)

GM should also paint the Volt’s plastic looking undercarriage the same color as the car body. I believe that’s how Ampera is offered in Europe.

Skotty

Skotty

Apr 18th, 2012 (12:49 am)

I think it would be nice if they offered different models of the Volt; perhaps one that maximizes on efficiency and one a sport model with a little bit beefier motor set. The current Volt performance is good for economy cars, but only marginal when compared against the mainstream.

However, even better than that would be if they offered different battery sizes like Tesla will be doing with the Model S. Now that would be awesome. Those on tight budgets could get an entry level model with a 12 KWh battery, while others with more money could choose something like a 24 KWh battery. The ultimate would be if you could start out with a smaller battery and upgrade to a larger one later on.

BC

BC

Apr 18th, 2012 (2:08 am)

Its a great car! Just get it out there!!! out there on the streets!!! I remember back in the late 90s GM came up with a 3/36 lease plan for GM employees and families for $299.00 a month on “Limited” black Tahoes, man, they were everywhere!!! how about doing the same with the VOLT! I would pay $329 or $349 a month, plus down payment… thats reasonable!

Darius

Darius

Apr 18th, 2012 (4:34 am)

MTN Ranger,

2013 rare looks cheaper. O.K. if it is related to the cost and price reduction.

Shock Me

Shock Me

Apr 18th, 2012 (9:02 am)

tom w,

Except for the externalities and scarcities, oil is an AWESOME fuel. It transports well and requires no complex containment. It is more energy dense than other alternatives. It decreases in weight as it is used thereby lessening the load on the engine.

We would be very lucky to find something like oil again. In fact oil is SO awesome at more than just vehicle fuel we should stop burning it and try to find a way to recycle it for all its other uses.

Eisemann-Theater

Eisemann-Theater

Apr 18th, 2012 (10:24 am)

My real question with all this software and technology where are our firmware/software updates like Apple and Microsoft does?

I know they can make improvements via software. I would like to see a nice firmware update this year that would improve millage and other functions. Possibly a slightly louder ICE that is user selectable to prove better millage or options you could select from?

It just would be a nice gesture of GM to provide firmware updates and not necessary have to purchase a new model to get them.

Steve

Steve

Apr 18th, 2012 (11:19 am)

Noel Park,

I too would strongly consider an Eco version or maybe an operational option that compromises the quiet a little for more economy. What I drive now is probably much noisier.

Ben Bethel

Ben Bethel

Apr 23rd, 2012 (9:01 pm)

I’d personally like to see:

* no more navigation, audio components (except speakers), 30GB HDD, CD/DVD, etc., etc… my phone does all that so I never even use the screen except to look at the fuel economy information. Plus, with tablets like the Galaxy Tab 2 at $249, I’d rather hang a tablet in front of my car’s DVD screen and have access to hundreds of thousands of apps, videos, music, and satellite maps that I can actually use while driving.
    * Android phone integration, with full display of the music library – after all there’s 3 times as many android phones as iphones out there, and this number is growing exponentially.
    * the vents controlled by a sensor/switch so that if someone is NOT sitting in a seat, the vent is OFF… in Arizona it gets so blazing hot that I don’t need the other vents on when driving alone and I’m always stretching to reach over and turn the two passenger vents off.
    * no more side-view mirrors, just have two internal screens with little cameras outside.
    * I have black, my friend has silver…
    * The lease price dropped from $349/mo to $299/mo, after all the battery prices have plummeted, so the price is ready to drop I’m sure
    * A 100 mile range version
    * An all electric 200 mile range version – what does the weight of the engine and all engine related components come out to, and how much battery would this take up with no change in the weight of the vehicle.
    * Complete collision avoidance, to where you would not be allowed to hit a curb, a parking block, another car, a pole, another car with your car door in a parking lot.
    * Faster charging like the Focus Electric, I think that charges 2x as fast as the Volt.
    * Self driving – all those parts on the google self driving car can’t cost much, it’s a few sensors, a processor, and some software…. I’m guessing self-driving will arrive around 2015 as an expensive option and be down to a $500 option by 2020.
    * About 6 inches more of rear seat leg room… the Prius kills the Volt in the leg room department, and storage too, but that’s another story.
    * Seating for FIVE people… I’ve had a few friends *this close* to getting a Volt but the lack of 5 passenger seating completely killed it.
    * OMG, almost forgot… rear seat vents, please oh god please get some rear seat vents in there, have you tried driving a volt in Phoenix when it’s 122 degrees out?

Thanks.