Mar 31

Bush Senior Buys a Chevy Volt

Note: This is not an April Fools joke, it is a true story.

By Huw Evans

Who would have thought it? Given the flack the Chevy Volt has received at Republican hands over the last few months, former Republican president George H. W. Bush dealt the Volt attackers a serious blow, deciding to purchase one of GM’s extended range electric cars.

12Volt

The Volt, which has become a symbol of all that’s wrong with the Obama administration according to some conservatives, might finally be getting a break. In addition to Bush Sr.’s purchase of a Volt (for his son Neil), there’s growing sentiment among the right that the car might not be that bad after all.

Fred Barnes, writing in the conservatively inclined Weekly Standard, showed sympathy for the Volt, saying it “is not an Obamamobile,” a view that’s been widely held by many Republicans. In perhaps an even more surprising turn, Fox News, the notorious Volt basher, is also apparently changing it’s tune. Lee Spieckerman, CEO of Spieckerman Media and a conservative himself, said during a recent interview on the network that the “Volt is the quickest and most efficient way to bring American fossil fuels like coal, natural gas and nuclear energy to American automobiles. It is a terrific car, it is the iPhone of the automobiles. I’ve driven it and it’s very impressive.”

Volt sales remain sluggish despite GM introducing a zero percent incentive this month, so this change is probably welcome news, though Spieckerman did say that in order for it to truly be successful in the market, the price of the Volt needs to be reduced by about 20 percent, in order to give it a fighting chance against the likes of machines like the Chevy Cruze.

AutoGuide

This entry was posted on Saturday, March 31st, 2012 at 9:58 pm and is filed under General. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

Larry

Larry

Mar 31st, 2012 (10:18 pm)

Every single night the news talks about the high price of gas and the threat from the middle-east. I just can’t believe there isn’t heavy advertising about electric cars that don’t need any gasoline for 80% of all driving! I hope Bush Sr. and everyone else will get the message out!!

Mar 31st, 2012 (10:20 pm)

Excellent post, Huw! That is one way to quiet down all those negative comments. Now if the other President Bush would buy one, then it is over. Everyone will accept the Volt and we will not see any more Republican politician say that the Volt was an “Obamacar”!

And if Mitt Romney doesn’t retract all his past comments, he will not win this November election. Barack Obama will be reelected and his prediction of buying the volt in five years (2017) will come true.

Mar 31st, 2012 (11:24 pm)

This is terrific news. Can’t wait to hear Limbaugh et. al. eat their own words!

Absolutely nothing good comes of politicizing technology.

MrEnergyCzar

MrEnergyCzar

Apr 1st, 2012 (12:03 am)

I think the anti-volt party has been taking heat for indirectly not supporting American jobs/American made cars during the recession, while the volt has been racking up dozens of awards and gas prices are getting out of hand. I wouldn’t be surprised if this is the beginning of rhetoric that the car was actually developed under Bush (which we know it was) and it was his EV tax credits….

MrEnergyCzar

sparks

sparks

Apr 1st, 2012 (12:09 am)

As I pointed out in an earlier thread, this just proves that there’s no WMD inside the Volt’s battery pack, in spite of all the earlier polemics from the right about battery fires! After all, if there was a WMD in there, we all know a Bush would sense it (err, and for the OTHER son, maybe even if there was NO WMD in there…). ;-)

Apr 1st, 2012 (12:21 am)

I am a conservative, although I am a registered Democrat, and I have supported the Volt from day 1. Not all conservatives are Volt bashers. It is that some of them have more air time than some of us supporters and some supporters on air just don’t speak up. They are just now beginning to do so.

Is it strange today to be both a Democrat and a conservative? There are not enough of us left in the party to get wet sharing one umbrella in a downpour.

Apr 1st, 2012 (12:35 am)

N RileyIs it strange today to be both a Democrat and a conservative?There are not enough of us left in the party to get wet sharing one umbrella in a downpour.

More numerous than moderate Republicans. In this case you are a RINO.

Great to see this. Hopefully there will be some reason.

nanometer

nanometer

Apr 1st, 2012 (2:34 am)

Great news : Mr. Bush – welcome to the Volt driving experience !

We love our Volt C2886 and could not be happier the way it handles and drives.
    (We are mainly driving in ‘L’ mode and I use the ‘Sports’ mode often = Volt drives like a rocket ! My wife is more gentle on the accelerator ;) )

Also, see my mini summary (from the data I collected):

attachment.php?attachmentid=5196&d=1333261670

Mitch

Mitch

Apr 1st, 2012 (5:24 am)

MrEnergyCzar,

I think you have a point there mrEnergyCzar and thanks for your information on the Volt on UTube. Love my Volt too…

Apr 1st, 2012 (6:56 am)

I think there are a bunch of us secondary buyers out here. We have existing obligations that are keeping us out of a Volt. It’s not only the initial price with us. It may not be our car buying cycle yet.

Koz

Koz

Apr 1st, 2012 (7:37 am)

This is definitely a lift and all seems to be coordinated at the same time for GM’s relaunch of the Volt…hmmmm. Regardless, the affects are good and without the bs it will be easier for more people to see the benefits of the Volt. More will “allow” themselves to consider buying it. This is good for the Volt and all plug-in’s.

stuart22

stuart22

Apr 1st, 2012 (11:21 am)

Bush’s purchase will help clear the decks for things to start moving forward among right leaning people. I think they have needed one of their leaders to give their stamp of approval for them to feel it’s OK to let go of what has held them back (the Obama connection, GM bailout connection, etc.) from appreciating the virtues of the Volt.

Plus, the spike in gasoline prices has upset their sense of control over their own money; sparking among them the sort of feelings they get when taxes go up but in this instance it’s the oil companies who are the villain instead of Obama.

I’m puzzled by the lack of editing given to the final paragraph of the lead story – does anyone here still have the feeling that Volt sales ‘remain sluggish’?? I cannot believe anyone here doesn’t have the sense that March sales results are going to kick the ass of all the doubters out there.

I predict history will look back and view March 2012 as the time that the Volt dispelled all major doubts as to whether or not it would survive, and it became acknowledged as the one that finally firmly established the electric powered vehicle market segment, paving the way for others to follow towards an electric future.

Jon

Jon

Apr 1st, 2012 (6:28 pm)

I love how the right wingers emphasize that electric cars are great because they displace imported oil with domestic *fossil* fuels. Heaven forbid those damn hippie liberals charge their cars with clean renewable energy..

Bonaire

Bonaire

Apr 1st, 2012 (7:51 pm)

Sales really are a bit sluggish so far. But that is compared to a marketing target early last year of 45,000 in the USA in 2012 – that was very high and probably out of line when written. That target even being written was bad planning. Maybe they should have said “we can make up to 60K if demand is high enough.”

Even with a record March, it needs to have a few months of similar numbers to signal true growth. The March-April shutdown may slow sales in April and early May because of pipeline. What would say to me that sales are taking off is 1800+ March, 1900+ April and 2000+ May. I think we will see flat-sales in April about the same as March. The 0% 60-mo loan was quite attractive. What seemed to sell the most are low-optioned Volts and also the new HOV models. I think of some of the features as quite pricey ($595 shiney wheels and $2000 Nav).

Tall Pete

Tall Pete

Apr 1st, 2012 (8:33 pm)

Loboc:

Precisely my case. Bought a car in 2008. Would have waited for the Volt but I thought the Volt program might be ended by the Chap. 11 thing.

I will start shopping for the Volt probably next fall or when GM will decide to put cars at the dealerships. At this time, I just cannot find a single Volt available in any dealership in my area.

Tall Pete

Tall Pete

Apr 1st, 2012 (8:43 pm)

Bonaire: Maybe they should have said “we can make up to 60K if demand is high enough.”

They can sell easily 45K Volts in Europe and Canada I’m sure. Just export the damn thing and keep 15K Volts for the USA until gas prices get higher (as they are in Europe and Canada).

Regular is 5.38$ in my area as of this week, still climbing. Word is that it will reach 5.70$ a US gallon this summer, maybe more. People are slowing down on the roads.

How many Volt would GM sell if they were available in Canada ? I guess we will never know.

GM Engineer

GM Engineer

Apr 1st, 2012 (10:46 pm)

See the right wing would pay someone to destroy the reputation of General Motors!!!!
    Stop the madness, this guy has received $150,000!!!

pat

pat

Apr 1st, 2012 (11:23 pm)

hmmm typ of Fix (fox) news Start with lies, half truths and make up stories who cares as long as Fix news can fool the sheep ..and give them the bs to go spread it. Actual Volt in use never had a fire in real world. So now after a year of spreading it ..well a few say on Fix news that it is a good car now. What gives.. Fix news has no journalistic standards they are a propaganda channel and when caught lying, claim they are an entertainment entity – True. Check it.
    Fix news knows that once you have the sheep in fold It does not matter how big the Lie is as long it can be put out with phony back up #s. Like – Some old grandma claimed that she is paying for my Volt. What a joke!

lousloot

lousloot

Apr 2nd, 2012 (9:45 am)

“though Spieckerman did say that in order for it to truly be successful in the market, the price of the Volt needs to be reduced by about 20 percent, in order to give it a fighting chance against the likes of machines like the Chevy Cruze.”

I would figure 10% — with gas prices on the rise…

OT a little.. I managed to get 44.9 mpg on (500 mile ave) on a 3hr drive (one way) last weekend. (in my 42mpg hwy rated Cruze Eco) I personally think a Volt WINs if you could get VOLT < $9000+Cruze Eco

Waiting for the 3 year leases to come up, plan to replace 07 Pontiac G5 with a nice used Volt.

Randy C.

Randy C.

Apr 3rd, 2012 (10:53 am)

Surprising. Considering his other son George W. Bush was the final straw in the death of the EV1. See the film “Who Killed the Electric Car”. Plus the Bush family is an oil family sucking on the oil well teet. Now why would they buy anything that isn’t Hummer sized? It’s a bad example for the buying public.