Nov 21

The List: Chevrolet Volt awards and accolades earned through 2011

Last week marked the expiration of one of the more prestigious acknowledgments the Volt received – the Motor Trend 2011 Car of the Year award.

This year Motor Trend gave the award to conventional technology represented by the VW Passat. Its latest pick may be good, but as Motor Trend acknowledged last year, the Volt was a breakthrough and is a very tough act to follow.

“I expected a science fair experiment,” Motor Trend quoted auto industry veteran Chris Theodore speaking of the Volt last year. “But this is a moonshot.”

“Moonshot” – 2011 Motor Trend Car Of The Year.

As it has been a full year since the first production Volts began garnering such praise, we thought now would be a good time to round up an international list of Volt accolades and awards.

Included for good measure are a few 2009 acknowledgments the pre-production Volt received well before December 2010 when it officially went on sale as a 2011 model year vehicle. Also included are “2012″ awards bestowed during the 2011 calendar year.

GM did an early changeover at the Detroit-Hamtramck assembly plant this summer, and after producing just 4,488 Volts for the 2011 model year, began turning out 2012 model year vehicles.

Since the Volt has been so widely reviewed, we expect we have missed some honors earned. Therefore this write-up will be a little different than usual – if any GM-Volt readers can suggest top-ranked acknowledgments that should be included, we can update the list on the fly.

Our aim is to compile a comprehensive list of Volt accolades and awards for being best in category given from its inception through the end of its first calendar year.

Vehicle awards

· 2009 Green Car Vision Award by the Green Car Journal

· 2011 North American Car of the Year at the 2011 North American International Auto Show.

· Motor Trend 2011 Car of the Year

· Automobile Magazine 2011 Automobile of the Year

· MotorWeek 2011 Driver’s Choice Best of the Year

· Car and Driver 10 Best for 2011

· 2011 Edison Award

· Highest-rated compact for 2011 J.D. Powers and Associates APEAL Study

· 2012 Car of the Year in Denmark

· Consumer Reports rates Volt #1 in Owner Satisfaction

· Named “2011 Collectible Car of the Future” by Friends of the National Automotive History Collection (NAHC)

Environmental awards

· 2009 Environmental Grand Prize awarded at the 2009 Festival International Automobile

· 2011 World Green Car announced at the 2011 New York Auto Show

· 2011 Green Car of the Year awarded by Green Car Journal

· MotorWeek 2011 Best Eco-Friendly

· Chicago Auto Show Best Green Vehicle

Technology awards

· Ward’s AutoWorld 10 Best Engines for 2011

· SAE 2011 Best Engineered Vehicle

· Top Michigan Innovation in 2011

· Edmunds 2011 Green Car Breakthrough Award

· Popular Mechanics 2010 Breakthrough Technology

· Popular Mechanics Top 10 Vehicles Award for Technology

· Popular Mechanics Editor’s Choice Award for OnStar MyLink for Volt

Mobile Application awards

· Popular Science Best of What’s New 2010

· Consumer Electronics Show’s “Top Products” Award for OnStar MyLink for Volt Mobile Application

Safety acknowledgements

· Top Safety Pick by Insurance Institute for Highway Safety

· National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Five-star overall vehicle score

· Euro NCAP Five stars (out of five) in all categories

Value acknowledgments

· Best Electric Car awarded for 2012 resale value by Kelley Blue Book”

· Kiplinger demonstrated in five years time the Volt can earn back 91 percent of a $19,000 cost differential between it and a Cruze internal combustion powered cousin

Economy acknowledgements

· 2011 Volt names most fuel-efficient compact car by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency

· 2012 Volt again named by EPA most fuel-efficient gas-powered vehicle

Updates

The Kiplinger “value” acknowledgment was not an award per se, but was such an unparalleled achievement, we made an exception for it. Otherwise, these are all top-tier Volt awards and accolades. We excluded cases where the Volt was ranked as a runner up, or among the top several of a list.

If you make a suggestion – below or e-mailed to jcobb@verticalscope.com – please keep our criteria in mind, and suggest only cases where the Volt was unequivocally number one.

To encapsulate the list, and prevent a never-ending story, we’re arbitrarily making a cut-off date of Dec. 31, 2011.

———————————————————————————————————————————————————

Dear GM-Volt Readers: We value everyone’s feedback on our daily stories, but – please – don’t post breaking news or other stories that we could be working on as a post here. Doing this will help ensure fresh daily discussions, and will be better for everyone. If you would instead, please e-mail story ideas to jcobb@verticalscope.com Thank you!

———————————————————————————————————————————————————

This entry was posted on Monday, November 21st, 2011 at 5:55 am and is filed under General. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

Nov 21st, 2011 (6:13 am)

Kudos for compiling this list of Chevy Volt awards, acknowledgements & accolades through 2011, Jeff! And for inviting anyone to contribute others that somehow escaped your notice! It’s a worthy task that many of us, myself included, have wanted to do. Thanks for providing this detailed list we can all make use of (and/or contributions to)!!!

/To my knowledge, no one has compiled a truly comprehensive list prior to this

jim1961

jim1961

Nov 21st, 2011 (7:42 am)

As an engineer I was involved in the design of a product that won an award. It was one tiny local award but it felt good that our team was recognized for creating something that stood out among other worthy products. For most of us it’s more than just a paycheck that motivates us to do a good job at whatever it is that we do. I imagine that all of the people involved in creating the Volt feel a sense of pride that can’t be measured in dollars.

MichaelH

MichaelH

Nov 21st, 2011 (8:23 am)

Wow, what a list! That’s a lot longer than where we were the last time someone tried to add ‘em up in April (Nasaman, kdawg, etc.).

Good job, Jeff, thanks for the hard work. Wow, what a car! :-)

GSP

GSP

Nov 21st, 2011 (8:44 am)

Jeff,

Thanks for compiling an up-to-date list of awards. I don’t think ANY vehicle EVER has got such a wide list of prestigous awards.

GSP

PS. I really enjoy your Volt photos also. Very Nice.

Nov 21st, 2011 (9:12 am)

2011 World Green Car announced at the 2011 New York Auto Show

2012 Car of the Year in Denmark

Nov 21st, 2011 (9:16 am)

The Volt is a great car. I’m getting by on less than 3 gallons of gasoline per month. 11,000 miles @ 29.8 gallons to date. The truck I used to drive drank 3 gallons each 84 miles.

Volt02-09-11MPG.jpg

Tim Hart

Tim Hart

Nov 21st, 2011 (9:43 am)

Thanks Jeff for that list. To me whats more impressive is the massive enthusiasm of Volt owners! For almost everyone it has recreated that indescribable joy of getting your first bike at Christmas when we were kids. How great is that–even more important than all the awards.

Nov 21st, 2011 (10:31 am)

With such a long list of awards, I wonder if the Chevy Volt had established a new world record as the most awarded vehicle in its first year. Then it may win new awards after GM revises and updates its design, and Motor Trend reevaluates the newer design.

Now we expect the newer Voltec vehicles winning their share of awards.

P.S. is it too quiet here, or are many members taking their Thanksgiving vacation already?

Kent

Kent

Nov 21st, 2011 (11:08 am)

Dave K.,

JohnK

JohnK

Nov 21st, 2011 (11:10 am)

The ultimate award is that accorded when new customers buy this innovative car. I look forward to seeing these numbers get bigger and bigger. I look forward to the Ford EV starting shipments, but in my humble opinion the best value is in the Chevy Volt.

MrEnergyCzar

MrEnergyCzar

Nov 21st, 2011 (11:15 am)

Well written Jeff. Add in most political car and the best car alternative to a pure EV.

MrEnergyCzar

Jeff Cobb

Jeff Cobb

Nov 21st, 2011 (11:17 am)

nasaman,
    MichaelH,
    GSP,
    kdawg,
    Tim Hart,
    MrEnergyCzar,

Thanks everyone. I hope this can be something that anyone can send the link to if explaining the Volt to someone less familiar with it.

kdawg:
    2011 World Green Car announced at the 2011 New York Auto Show
    2012 Car of the Year in Denmark

Thanks Kdawg. Denmark is there, but I’ll add the other one. I’d seen that somewhere and don’t know how I let it slip.

Nov 21st, 2011 (11:26 am)

Raymondjram: With such a long list of awards, I wonder if the Chevy Volt had established a new world record as the most awarded vehicle in its first year

So are you saying the Volt would win the award for the most awards :)

john1701a

john1701a

Nov 21st, 2011 (11:33 am)

Dave K.: The Volt is a great car. I’m getting by on less than 3 gallons of gasoline per month. 11,000 miles @ 29.8 gallons to date.

Do you have an idea how much electricity was consumed?

Knowing how often you plug in, if the pack is totally depleted, and when ownership began is helpful information too.

Shock Me

Shock Me

Nov 21st, 2011 (12:00 pm)

I have no idea what the current post was today I’m just excited to post my first Volt sighting in the wild! Silver Volt ducking into Checker’s Burger Stand in East Orlando.

Was that you Nasaman?

Steverino

Steverino

Nov 21st, 2011 (12:34 pm)

JD Powers owners satisfaction survey result was 100% satisfied or very satisfied as I recall (93% Very satisfied

There is this
    Chevrolet Volt ranks number one in segment in J.D. Powers APEAL Study http://gm-volt.com/2011/08/01/chevy-volt-tops-in-segment-in-j-d-powers-apeal-study/

Nov 21st, 2011 (12:41 pm)

Jeff – this may be the same as your EPA award, but its worded differently

scottf200

scottf200

Nov 21st, 2011 (12:49 pm)

I created a partial list like this a while ago with the links to back it up. I’ll try to remember to send it to Jeff. Perhaps these can be added to the story. ie. make them clickable.

Steverino

Steverino

Nov 21st, 2011 (1:48 pm)

I think JD Powers survey results could be categorized as “Owner Awards”

MichaelH

MichaelH

Nov 21st, 2011 (2:14 pm)

Chevy Volt Named Most Fuel Efficient Car of the Past 25 Years

“Take that Toyota Prius.

“The Chevrolet Volt has been named the most fuel efficient car of all time by the Environmental Protection Agency. Well, at least since 1984.

“On a list that excludes pure electric vehicles, the 60 MPG combined Volt beat the 53 MPG first generation Honda Insight and current 50 MPG Prius for top honors. Chevy’s Sprint ER from 1986 and the 1989 Geo Metro rounded out the top five at 48 MPG and 47 MPG, respectively.

“Unlike the Prius and Insight, the plug-in Volt operates as an electric car for 35 miles before its gasoline engine starts up to generate power for the electric motors and provide torque to help propel the car.”

Nov 21st, 2011 (2:18 pm)

Kent: Does anyone know why GM limited the “avg” mpg to “250+”? This really irks me since I like to watch my numbers go up.

Amen! +1

Nov 21st, 2011 (2:21 pm)

Great comments guys. Lost of “+1s” today!

James

James

Nov 21st, 2011 (3:14 pm)

Oh yeah, for me VOLT WINS MY ” Best Car Of The Decade ” Award.

Volt could even be the car of the century – or half century, but that would require much more debate. I can say it’s BEST CAR OF THE MODERN AGE…how about that?

VOLT, IT’S MORE FREEDOM THAN ELECTRIC! ,

James

pat

pat

Nov 21st, 2011 (5:38 pm)

VOLT has won so many awards. Hope folks in US and Canada will continue to buy VOLT. Great job GM and pl keep the quality at the top.
    To anyone from GM reading this blog: Pl take a look at the new EV Spark and its hideous antena. Change it before to goes on sale. I am eagerly looking at to buy Spark.

Go GM Go Volt

Richard Grahman

Richard Grahman

Nov 21st, 2011 (7:24 pm)

I have partaken in two JD Powers surveys and, of course, marked “10s” all the way down.
    9500 miles @215 mpg.

Nov 21st, 2011 (8:48 pm)

MichaelH: Chevy Volt Named Most Fuel Efficient Car of the Past 25 Years

“Take that Toyota Prius.

If Ford uses Synergy technology, maybe the next 25 years as well.

George McDermand

George McDermand

Nov 21st, 2011 (9:47 pm)

I am really proud of the GM team. The awards and acolades are well deserved. Although I probably will buy a Tesla S for Tiffany and myself. I have been following the Volt on this site for years. My use does not require extended range of the Volt but if I did it would be first on my list. I just wish the engine was smaller the battery was a little bigger. Oh well.
    Bob-o

Nov 21st, 2011 (11:51 pm)

john1701a: Do you have an idea how much electricity was consumed?

Oh, good; we’ll be expecting this information from you about the PIP.

john1701a

john1701a

Nov 22nd, 2011 (9:46 am)

Volt enthusiasts should enjoy the engineering merit their vehicle of choice has earned. But that praise needs come to an end as the first year completes. That means turning attention to business objectives. It’s time to become supporters.

For those who actually purchased one, they too should receive acknowledgement. However, they already have a reputation for only sharing information about gas consumption. Disregarding electricity consumption could easily be considered greenwashing. That’s not a good approach with the ultimate goal being sales.

With the plug-in market so volitile in the first place, not being open when sharing owner experiences is a terrible choice. People should be informed about how often the vehicle is plugged in and how much it takes to charge it. They want to know how many kWh it took to travel that distance reported, not just gallons.

Ralph Alvarado

Ralph Alvarado

Dec 10th, 2011 (3:19 am)

I purchased a 2012 Volt in early October.  At first, I was allowing the battery to run down completely, or nearly there until I read the booklet entitled “Plugging Into Your 2012 Volt”, that came with the car.

It states on page 13 that you do not have to let the battery run down, and in fact, you should leave the car plugged in at all times, even when fully charged.  This keeps the battery temperature at optimum.

I also contacted the GM support tech to inquire about unplugging before full charge,   This was their response:

Congratulation on the purchase of your volt. We hope you are enjoying it. To answer your question, the volt can be PARTIALLY charged as many times as you need to and it will not harm the battery. The battery has a built in buffer area to allow for this with out creating a memory like other batteries would. If you have any other questions feel free to contact us any time.

Helen
    Volt Advisor Team
    An Associate of Morley Companies, Inc.
    Volt Line: 877-486-5846
    Email: voltda101@gmexpert.com

This is great for people who may have to take multiple trips during the day, but want to stay on EV mode for the entire time.  You gain about 4 miles per hour the car is plugged in (120 volt).

I monitor my electrical use with a Kill-A-Watt meter.  Cool tool.  I found that average charging time is 10 hours at 1.3 kilowatts per hour.  A total of 13 kwh, (kilowatt hours).

When left plugged in after fully charged, the meter shows only a little over 3 watts being drawn.  At that rate, 300 hours would cost me 9 cents.

Taking my power company’s rate for 1 kw, I did the math and found that I spend $0.028 per mile, on average.  Equivalent mpg is 130 mpg on electric, on average. (I divided $.028 into the cost of 1 gallon of gas).   This changes with weather conditions, price of gas, etc, but my average over 2 months was 130 mpg.  Of course, others mpg equivalent depends on local rates and the cost of gas in their area.

It’s nice to think you get 250 + mpg, but in reality, you do pay for those miles at your wall plug.  Still, if your daily commute is mostly in electric mode, getting 100 mpg or better is awesome!

Kill-A-Watt review: