Sep 14

Fisker launches extended-range Surf at Frankfurt Motor Show

Although newly revealed at the ongoing Frankfurt Motor Show and scheduled for production next year, Henrik Fisker said his company had the Surf in its back pocket since the extended-range Karma and convertible version were designed in 2009.

Based on the same shared powertrain, and dimensionally nearly identical from the front of the car to the D-pillar, the Surf is a five-door wagon, or “shooting brake” variant offering more utility while retaining 981 pound-feet of torque on tap.

Fisker Surf.

“[The Surf] is really a kind of merger of a sports car with a station wagon,” said Fisker to the media just before Frankfurt. “The inspirations for me – in growing up – were cars like the Jensen Interceptor and the Lamborghini Espada. They were super-cool sports cars that you could actually imagine living with and fitting a little bit of luggage and some people into.”

Fisker has designed vehicles for BMW and Aston Martin, and his new high-line wagon is packed with earth-friendly accoutrements one would expect from a green car vying to earn a rightful place among such brands.

Beneath the standard glass roof, or optional (lighter-than-the-glass) solar roof is seating made with eco-friendly, low-emissions tanning process Scottish leather. Alternatively, synthetic materials will be available via EcoStandard or EcoChic trim packages for those who prefer to avoid animal byproducts.

This is the answer to concerns over the Karma’s tiny trunk.

Further U.S. green car cred is offered by way of American-sourced wood for trim that was salvaged both from California’s not-long-ago fires, and from previously submerged logs raised from the Great Lakes.

Seat cushions, metal trim, carpet and undersides are also recycled, Fisker said.

As for that 981 pound-feet of torque – and 403 maximum horsepower – readers of GM-Volt are probably familiar by now with the Karma’s powertrain. Briefly, it relies on a 260 horsepower, 2.0-liter GM Ecotec turbo engine plus two electric motors powered by a 20 kWh li-ion battery.

Rear seats in upright position.

GM-Volt contributor nasaman recently reported Karma driving impressions confirming it is quick indeed. Fisker says the Surf’s power is enough to move it at a Karma-equaling pace of 0-60 mph in 5.9 seconds in “sport” mode which uses gasoline and electric power combined. In the default all-electric “stealth” mode, 60 mph from zero is said to arrive in 7.9 seconds.

One would think having more torque than the Bugatti Veyron would make it capable of quicker acceleration – and ordinarily they would be correct. But the vehicle is handicapped by making due with one gear ratio, and weighing more than two tons. Although we have heard varying reports, Motor Trend says weight increases just 77 pounds for the Surf to 4177 pounds total.

Rear seats folded down.

Fisker has talked about employing a multi-speed transmission on models to come and was quoted saying its EVers could achieve acceleration at “Veyron levels.” Whether that is a bit of stretch, we otherwise think it would be a great idea. Necessary? Some would say not, but as EV transmission makers are saying to persuade those not yet convinced, it could improve efficiency and speed potential as well.

But this is a small-scale company, working with great gobs of talent, decent funding, but not infinitely deep-pocketed, and first things first have been to get good quality products to market without excessive delay.

In keeping with this dictate, Fisker said the aluminum and composite-bodied Surf has just 233 unique parts differentiating it from its fraternal triplet sibling Karma. And though they were conceived and brought to life in the same flurry of activity as the yet-to-be-launched convertible Karma version, in the wisdom of their creator they were separated at birth, and destined for staged introductions into the awaiting automotive world.

Looks too pretty to put anything potentially damaging in.

“We have a whole different design process when compared to other car companies,” said VP of global design Alex Pratt. “We designed our three vehicles simultaneously from the beginning of the project – we believe we save a lot of money and time in doing that. So the Surf was designed a while ago. We designed the four-door with [the thought] in mind that we were going to do the Surf, and [the Karma] was also designed to do a convertible.

Therefore, all this was planned all along; nothing about this was an afterthought. And, therefore, it wasn’t that difficult to implement it, and it was, in fact, a very cost-efficient vehicle to put on the market. That’s why we can make a very good business case with this vehicle, even if we do a very low volume of only two and a half thousand or 3000 a year.”

The Surf – named after the ocean waves in the company’s newfound Southern California home – is intended to be even more practical than a three-door Ferrari FF wagon.

Tugging on its leather shoulder latches on the back seats lowers them to allow 28.9 cubic feet of cargo space. This said, the Surf won’t quite be at home backing up to Home Depot for a load of 2X4s, as the trunk is segmented and prevents those kind of work-a-day considerations.

Push start button and go.

Fisker is however designing a suitably attractive roof rack to carry longer items as needed, although the thinking is these would be essentials like surf boards, snow boards or skis.
Another concern – even though the 124.4-inch (or so) wheelbase vehicle is as big as a family wagon – is back-seat passengers over-six-feet-tall will find the accommodations limited.

Reportedly Fisker intentionally kept some dimensions tight, so those in the rear seats will be better off if they have tiny feet, as the front bucket seats don’t allow much room for larger feet to slide under.

But Fisker told the press he knew the Surf – expected to sell for a bit more than the high-five-figure Karma – was a niche vehicle, and not for everyone.

“We aim to create new, innovative vehicles – ones that no one has ever done. You know, the Surf is not going to be to everybody’s liking, but I think as a smaller new car manufacturer, we have to be able to take some risk and go out and create some different vehicles that are not necessarily mainstream and for everybody. A lot of people will probably say it is maybe ‘too extreme for me,’ but a lot of people will be like, ‘You know, this is exactly what I want.’”

Plans are for Fisker’s more than 50 global distributors to begin receiving Surfs in mid-2012. Sales are estimated to be split 40/20/20 percent between Europe, America and China, with the remaining 20 percent going to the rest of the company’s growing sphere of influence.

Motor Trend, Automotive News

This entry was posted on Wednesday, September 14th, 2011 at 5:55 am and is filed under General. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

Sep 14th, 2011 (6:56 am)

Looks too preety to carry any light cargo. The rear view could be a limiting factor for short drivers. Still it is too much for me. I am trying to save enough for the down payment of my Chevy Volt.

Jeff, I wish to ask about this expression:
    “One would think having more torque than the Bugatti Veyron would make it capable of quicker acceleration – and ordinarily they would be correct. But the vehicle is handicapped by making due with one gear ratio, and weighing more than a ton. Although we have heard varying reports, Motor Trend says weight increases just 77 pounds for the Surf to 4177 pounds total.”

Sep 14th, 2011 (7:30 am)

It’s thoughtful of Fisker to show the Surf now. Buyers might have an opportunity to switch their order from Karma to Surf. The “Sunset” convertible looks good too, as photos are on the web.

228e00fiskersunsetdc.jpg

Roy_H

Roy_H

Sep 14th, 2011 (7:48 am)

From Motor Trend: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/1108_fisker_karma_second_drive/
    CURB WEIGHT 5600 lb
    This is over 2-1/2 tons.

Roy_H

Roy_H

Sep 14th, 2011 (8:00 am)

Although more practical for luggage, I like the looks of the original Karma much better.
    Not too keen on that cloth covered central dashboard/consul, looks very cheap. Same cloth used on the inner door panels. Believe it or not, I much prefer well-designed and sculpted plastic. I know people tend to associate plastic with cheap, but it is very practical, can have almost any texture, color, and pattern, and be molded into any attractive shape. Plastic is a wonderful material, and deserves a higher opinion.

Sep 14th, 2011 (9:03 am)

Lol. Home Depot runs are not in the cards for this beauty. I’ll stick with the Magnum R/T until Volt SS is out.

The sound track is kind of weird on the video.

Sep 14th, 2011 (9:11 am)

I don’t know what that orange material is in the interior, but it has to go.
    (nice tissue box BTW)

Jeff Cobb

Jeff Cobb

Sep 14th, 2011 (10:09 am)

Raymondjram: If the Surf weighs 4177 pounds, shouldn’t the second sentence end “weighing more then two tons.”?

Yes, thanks Raymond. I missed that edit.

And by the way, it happens to everyone now and then. See below …

Roy_H:
    CURB WEIGHT5600 lb
    This is over 2-1/2 tons.

I will check the weight with Fisker, but I got the 4177 pounds from Motor Trend also. I went with it because they were fresh from a press conference, and had heard from the company executives.

Odds are that 5600 pounds in the box was part of a previous archive they just stuck in that slot.

Will check though …

QUOTE: “The extended roofline amplifies the Surf’s length, width, and low ride height, but in reality, the 124.4-inch wheelbase and most other dimensions are nearly identical to those of the Karma. (Exact numbers haven’t been revealed.) Weight as a result of the new hatch and standard tilting glass panorama roof grows by 77 pounds to an estimated 4177 pounds.”

Kent

Kent

Sep 14th, 2011 (10:33 am)

I didn’t see anything about an MSRP. Does anyone know? This car sounds and looks great, but will I be able to afford it? I just got my 2012 Volt 18 days ago so I need to start planning for my next car. Will it be a Surf or a Gen II Volt? Only cost will tell!

Off topic: I will be putting gas in my Volt for the first time today after 1,300+ miles!

Jeff Cobb

Jeff Cobb

Sep 14th, 2011 (10:42 am)

Kent,

Fisker did not announce MSRP but I did mention, “Fisker told the press he knew the Surf – expected to sell for a bit more than the high-five-figure Karma.”

Karma is high 90k figures, low 100s.

Odds are you could get two Gen II Volts for one of these and have a sizable amount left over to add toward a third.

Some time around 2013 competition for the Volt will come from the extended-range Fisker Project Nina cars to be built in Delaware and priced around $48,000 before subsidies.

Sep 14th, 2011 (10:55 am)

I just don’t see it! Why would you spend the extra dough for the Surf over the Karma? As to that, why would you buy the Karma over the Volt? Better yet — buy two Volts for the price of one Karma. Maybe two Volts and one Leaf for the price of the Surf. But it takes all kinds of people or the world would not be what it is today.

stuart22

stuart22

Sep 14th, 2011 (11:04 am)

kdawg:
    I don’t know what that orange material is in the interior, but it has to go.

I like that color which to me is very leathery looking. I also like the nice perforated texture and how well it constrasts with the black color and chrome accents throughout.

Beautiful, rather wickedly styled car. Long, long hood in relation to passenger area, no wonder seatroom in rear is wanting, not to mention load capacity. As for visibility to the rear, claustrophobes beware.

Steve

Steve

Sep 14th, 2011 (11:20 am)

It’s still a car outside my demographic.

Sep 14th, 2011 (11:27 am)

I am giving serious thought to leasing the Volt that should be here mid next month and then buying an ELR three years down the road.

I keep flipping back and forth on whether or not to just buy the Volt……..

What do you all think?

T 1

T 1

Sep 14th, 2011 (11:32 am)

Nice to have more electric choices bubbling up, as some of the earlier bubbles burst.

Sep 14th, 2011 (11:40 am)

The convertible would be awesome! I hope they bring it to the LA Auto Show.

Sep 14th, 2011 (12:04 pm)

CorvetteGuy:
    The convertible would be awesome! I hope they bring it to the LA Auto Show.

I can see that this car might be bought by people who like ragtops more than electrics, just based it’s looks. It seems like there is more than the usual convertible safety issues to consider, though … On the one hand, the lower center of gravity and greater mass should help keep it upright; but on the other, what happens when it does flip over? (I’m thinking wealthy waffle, or high-income hamburger).

Even having said this, how would you like a Volt-based convertible to sell? Or drive? We can salivate over $100K+ toys all day, but a Voltec based car is much more likely to be owned.

Sep 14th, 2011 (12:15 pm)

I for one would certainly consider a Voltec convertible. We have owned three or four convertibles over the years and have loved them. My wife would like one now, but I have been holding back trying to wait to purchase a Prius V for her and a Volt or Leaf for me.

Sep 14th, 2011 (12:18 pm)

Jim I:

I keep flipping back and forth on whether or not to just buy the Volt……..

What do you all think?

I wouldn’t consider the ELR. I’m just not a “Cadillac person,” and the Volt is already outside my price range. However, if I were in your position, I’d wait to see the ELR with my own eyes, test the seat with my own butt and drive it before making an “either-or” purchase decision. By the time the Caddy hits a dealership near you, the Volt will have been on the road an extra three years or so; and might be an even better proposition than today.

If you can’t wait, buy or lease a Volt. If you can, defer the decision. JMO, and good luck!

Randy

Randy

Sep 14th, 2011 (12:25 pm)

Why does a car have to weigh 2 tons.

Sep 14th, 2011 (12:27 pm)

Sep 14th, 2011 (12:28 pm)

Jim I:

I keep flipping back and forth on whether or not to just buy the Volt……..

What do you all think?

Jim, I’d suggest leasing the Volt (to “buy” yourself 3 years, after which there should be MANY more EREV model choices we couldn’t possibly know availability or design details on now). For example, a Volt SS, Volt Z-spec, or the gorgeous Caddy ELR might be available in 3 years.

Sep 14th, 2011 (12:29 pm)

Randy:
    Why does a car have to weigh 2 tons.

Batteries. Lots and lots of them … and an engine, in a largish car.

Sep 14th, 2011 (12:31 pm)

Jim I: I think the Caddy ELR will be much nicer, and a whole lot less expensive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I keep flipping back and forth on whether or not to just buy the Volt……..
    What do you all think?

I think the looks of the ELR blow away the Fiskers, inside and out. You also have a lot more piece of mind dealing w/a actual car company, and one with an EREV already under its belt.

You could buy the Volt and sell it 3rd party when you want the ELR.

Kent

Kent

Sep 14th, 2011 (12:34 pm)

Jim I,

As I mentioned in my earlier post, I am buying gas for the first time today after getting my Volt 18 days and 1,300+ miles ago. Whenever I make a significant purchase, no matter how much I like the car, motorcycle or whatever, I always feel a little “buyer’s remorse” afterwards. Not so with the Volt. This is the most expensive car I have ever bought (and the only car I ever paid full sticker priced for), but I have no regrets whatsoever. If I could afford another one right now, I would buy it. I can’t believe how much gas money I am saving with this car!

Randy

Randy

Sep 14th, 2011 (12:38 pm)

They make ultralight flying machines, so why cany they make ultralight cars with air filled shell for safety.

Sep 14th, 2011 (12:40 pm)

Randy:

Please read yesterday’s article, and the one before that.

Sep 14th, 2011 (12:45 pm)

The Fisker Surf interior photos make it apparent to me that its large battery (20KWh vs Volt’s 16KWh) is both a few inches higher and longer than the Volt’s battery. That huge flat “hump” behind the back seats makes the Surf’s useable trunk space only slightly larger than the Karma’s tiny trunk —too bad. (But then, if money is no object, who cares? …Just air express your golf clubs & luggage to your Cabo San Lucas hotel & enjoy your beautiful drive down the coast!)

Fisker-Surf-14.jpg
    The Surf’s trunk space is spoiled by its battery’s huge “T” behind the back seats

MTN Ranger

MTN Ranger

Sep 14th, 2011 (1:29 pm)

The leather tissue box in the rear seat area is pretty unique. Crazy interior!

shaun

shaun

Sep 14th, 2011 (2:31 pm)

N Riley,

How about style? I’d rather have the styling of the karma than the volt. Chevy sells corvettes for 90K+ when a 40K Camaro would do…

Sep 14th, 2011 (2:42 pm)

Sorry, this thing is hideous. The Aztec would look handsome parked next to it. “[The Surf] is really a kind of merger of a sports car with a station wagon,” said Fisker to the media just before Frankfurt. Yup. Sort of like having a racehorse front and a camel back. Not a good look.

Sep 14th, 2011 (2:45 pm)

nasaman: (But then, if money is no object, who cares? …Just air express your golf clubs & luggage to your Cabo San Lucas hotel & enjoy your beautiful drive down the coast!)

Cabo? I was thinking San Tropez, but daydreams don’t come with budgets do they?

st-tropez-2816.jpg

HIKERS_IN_SAINT-TROPEZ_3LR.jpg That’s right folks this is the shockingly beautiful new Fisker Surf!

“We designed the four-door with [the thought] in mind that we were going to do the Surf, and [the Karma] was also designed to do a convertible.

Any sales projections from Fisker? The more electrics the better, every small, tiny, micro step in the right direction is an improvement. Right?

Sep 14th, 2011 (2:54 pm)

As for leasing versus buying, if you always lease then lease, the lease deal isn’t bad. But if you normally buy I’d buy the Volt. The discount gas card you get with it is good for as long as the car is running, and the Volt should run for a very long time.

Sep 14th, 2011 (4:18 pm)

shaun:
    N Riley,

How about style?I’d rather have the styling of the karma than the volt.Chevy sells corvettes for 90K+ when a 40K Camaro would do…

I have to admit you are right about the style element. But, still, if I wanted to spend $85 – $90k, I would buy two Volts or one Volt and one Leaf or one Volt and one PIP.

I do like the Karma. Don’t get me wrong. It is a great looking car. But, money is money and style is not everything.

Sep 14th, 2011 (4:22 pm)

DonC: My guess is the Gen I Volt will be the best Volt made. Gen II will shift downscale to compete on price better with the Prius/Fusion while the ELR will slot in above the Volt as the premium EREV.

My thinking exactly. GM will absolutely follow the old ways and reduce the price of the Volt mostly by cheapening the materials put into it. I could be wrong, but history proves me correct. I really, really hope I am wrong on this one. GM needs to keep the quality up even if they have to keep the price higher than we as consumers might wish. Quality is important, too.

Sep 14th, 2011 (4:36 pm)

MTN Ranger: The leather tissue box in the rear seat area is pretty unique.

I noticed that, too. My first thought: This is provided for that moment when the Surf owner realizes that he/she could have had 2 1/2 Volts for the same money.

Sep 14th, 2011 (4:38 pm)

Jackson: I noticed that, too.My first thought:This is provided for that moment when the Surf owner realizes that he/she could have had 2 1/2 Volts for the same money.

For that comment I wish I could give you more than one +1. My sentiments exactly.

Sep 14th, 2011 (5:10 pm)

DonC: As for the orange interior, you’ve got to be kidding me. Reminds me of Volvos from the 70s or 80s. Definitely not what you want in a car with that exterior.

Ha, I was just going to say it reminds of of an orange couch from the 70′s

found-orange-couch.jpg
    DSCN0171.JPG

Sep 14th, 2011 (5:14 pm)

DonC: Sorry, this thing is hideous. The Aztec would look handsome parked next to it. “[The Surf] is really a kind of merger of a sports car with a station wagon,”

Reminds me of the Corvoltte I made a few months ago.

VoltSS.jpg

Sep 14th, 2011 (5:22 pm)

DonC:

I don’t think we will see any drastic reductions in the Volt pricing. Whatever changes GM makes to the Volt in the battery dept to lower cost will be kept by GM as profit since they have none today.

Sep 14th, 2011 (5:24 pm)

kdawg: Reminds me of the Corvoltte I made a few months ago.

Good one kdawg,
    your photo looks a lot like the Karma. Your a genius.

Sep 14th, 2011 (5:48 pm)

N Riley: GM needs to keep the quality up even if they have to keep the price higher than we as consumers might wish. Quality is important, too.

George S. Bower: Also, I really don’t see the Volt as direct competition w/ the Prius. They are in different market segments relative to price, luxury, status, etc.

I think the Volt really is designed to compete with the Prius. Yes at this point it’s vastly better but the Volt can sacrifice quality and still retain a quality edge while being close in price. The base seats could be cheaper, the radio tinnier, etc. etc. IOW a step closer to the Leaf but it would still be better handling and quieter. My guess is that GM will do a good job at hiding the cost cutting.

The ELR will be the premium model.

kdawg: Ha, I was just going to say it reminds of of an orange couch from the 70′s

Ha ha. Too good.

Sep 14th, 2011 (5:56 pm)

N Riley: My thinking exactly. GM will absolutely follow the old ways and reduce the price of the Volt mostly by cheapening the materials put into it. I could be wrong, but history proves me correct. I really, really hope I am wrong on this one.

Didn’t “that GM” go bankrupt? Here’s to hoping for much better decisions in the future. Hey, maybe they read Bob Lutz new book.

Sep 14th, 2011 (6:01 pm)

Orange-Sofa-Living-Room-1.jpg

Sep 14th, 2011 (6:13 pm)

DonC: Reminds me of Volvos from the 70s or 80s. Definitely not what you want in a car with that exterior.

tesla_roaster_orange_1.jpg

Kent

Kent

Sep 14th, 2011 (8:05 pm)

DonC: Get the Volt. It’s actually here, unlike the ELR, which might or might not be here 2 years from now. The Volt is also more practical. I might actually get an ELR in a few years but I’m not really crazy about coupes.

What’s this “discount gas card” that you’re talking about? I just got my Volt a few weeks ago and I didn’t get anything about a discount gas card.

Sep 14th, 2011 (8:54 pm)

DonC:

The ELR will be the premium model.

A very credible thought.
    Test drive in t minus 2-3 weeks.

Sep 14th, 2011 (9:09 pm)

Put balance shafts in the 4 cylinder four and it will disappear into the dash trim. Maybe Fisker should make an engine deal with Saab. I’m sure Saab could use the money. and it sounds like Fisker could use a Saab turbo engine.

Sep 14th, 2011 (9:17 pm)

jeffhre: A look in some of the high end design magazines would indicate, orange is back for couches.

Sep 14th, 2011 (9:35 pm)

Kent: What’s this “discount gas card” that you’re talking about?

Metaphor.

Eco_Turbo: Maybe Fisker should make an engine deal with Saab.

They announced a deal with BMW.

George S. Bower: Test drive in t minus 2-3 weeks.

That should be fun for you after all this time! Keep us posted (put it in Sport).

Sep 14th, 2011 (9:36 pm)

Yeh,
    the last house we had in the early 70′s had “burnt orange” counter tops.
    Timeless w/o a doubt.

Barry252

Barry252

Sep 14th, 2011 (9:58 pm)

This new Fisker looks like a batmobile from the front and a Saab from the rear. Pretty rakish styling, but too many lines and corners inside. All those pieces add up to a pretty high MSRP. I wish them luck.

Volt 63

Sep 14th, 2011 (10:17 pm)

DonC: The heart of the problem is the Fisker looks more like his pics of couches than your pic.

Google Fisker Karma Sunset images and look at the variety of colors thrown together for the prototypes. A veritable feast for folks with more money than sense. Very much hit or miss, I guess if you like ultimate opulence you’ll find the hits of your choice there. From pimps to politicians there’s something for the most distinguished and successful from every occupational category.

Sep 15th, 2011 (12:50 am)

jeffhre — I did as told. Actually all those colors are nice. And I actually have something of an orange couch. Plus I like the orange on the Tesla (wouldn’t buy it though). But there is orange and then there is the angry pumpkin orange used in the Karma pics above. That’s a whole different story. LOL