Sep 05

The Chevrolet Volt is attracting new faces in the face of persistent critics

Things are speeding up for the Chevrolet Volt as dealers report new shoppers and production numbers significantly escalate.

The automaker reports Pacific Northwest and Mid-Atlantic dealers in particular are drawing out people to see the car, as new Volts are being allocated.

“We’ve been here a long time and the Volt is bringing in people we have never seen before,” said Alan Starling, a dealer in Starling Chevrolet in St. Cloud, Fla.

Chevy Volt.

GM said initial buyer surveys it conducted show more than half of the people buying Volts have not darkened the door of a Chevrolet dealership in the past 10 years. Almost one-third of these buyers have never been to a Chevy dealership.

“The Volt is an intriguing proposition that’s drawing new faces to Chevrolet dealerships to learn more about the car and re-discover the brand,” said Cristi Landy, Chevrolet Volt marketing director. “To date, the Volt has been available for sale at dealerships in only seven states. In the next four months the number of Chevrolet dealers with Volts available for test drives and for sale will increase from 550 to more than 2,600.”

Meanwhile, the Detroit-Hamtramck plant is churning them out even faster. We reported a little while ago that by January 2012 it will be producing 5,000 Volts and Amperas per month. As of today, it is producing around half that number – 150 Volts per day, four days a week. This in itself is significant considering sales started this year in the hundreds per month – including August (last month), during which 302 Volts were sold.

But just as GM is telling how it’s winning over shoppers who’d been implicitly critical of its past, it also may be doing what it can to head remaining critics off at the pass by plainly declaring the Volt is yet a halo car to many buyers who wind up going home in its lower-priced cousin.

This is the gist of a “fair-and-balanced” story Fox News wrote about the Volt, and instead of whitewashing issues, GM verified them in its own press release.

GM reports customers searching online for fuel-efficient transportation often begin looking at the Volt, then cross-shop the Cruze.

“Since April, nearly 200,000 visitors searching for information on the Chevrolet Volt also searched for information on the Cruze,” GM said.

In fact, Web traffic data from both Chevy.com and Edmunds.com show the Cruze is the most cross-shopped vehicle to the Volt, GM said, adding the Cruze has been the number-one selling compact in the U.S. for the past couple of months.

Nor are some Chevy dealers altogether unhappy about this. We at GM-Volt have been personally told by a Chevy dealer the Volt was overpriced, as he attempted to switch us to the Cruze. We have heard several similar reports besides.

Perhaps GM’s disclosure is an attempt also at “transparency” on Chevrolet’s behalf, as the company openly says the Volt is still a magnet leading to the Cruze.

“As far as image goes … the Volt is huge because it’s also helping sell the Cruze,” said Inder Dosanjh, a Chevrolet dealer in Dublin, Calif. who was quoted by Chevrolet in the same press release.

What does it mean?

In any event, GM is still selling cars, and making money is why it is in business.

Nor is it entirely egg on its face to report slow sales for the Volt when its own Cruze is the one beating it. It’s not like another brand is the most cross-shopped, so it is a mixed blessing for GM.

Further, this is still a transitional time for the Volt. GM is well aware of cost-benefit analyses that could attract more cost-conscious buyers to the Volt.

We suspect when it really needs to – that is, when supply is up to speed in more locations – it can create an even more compelling case for the Volt that will spell out the advantages.

Old paradigms die hard.

A few days ago, we ran a story showing how Kiplinger had analyzed the five-year cost between the Volt and Cruze. That story had to be corrected, but post-correction, the five-year ownership cost difference in one potential scenario was still just $1,575 more for a 2011 Volt vs. 2011 Cruze, even though the Volt’s MSRP was about $18,000 more.

We know many people – even GM-Volt readers – are waiting for costs to come down in Gen 2, but out of the starting gate the Volt is not a half-bad financial proposition for many would-be buyers.

Regarding the Kiplinger analysis, GM’s Tony Posawatz told us this is a “very important message that few are truly understanding.”

The company continues going about its business promoting the car, and ramping up production. Nor will it want them sitting on lots unsold just so critics like Neil Cavuto and his ilk can continue to rant.

Question is, what more will GM do, and how effectively can it get its message across that today’s Volt makes sense? These are interesting times for the Chevy Volt.

This entry was posted on Monday, September 5th, 2011 at 5:55 am and is filed under General. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

Slapshot28

Slapshot28

Sep 5th, 2011 (6:43 am)

Never been the first to post, so I could not resist. For me, this story is timely coming off the press reactions from the August Volt sales number. It’s soothing to hear GM’s quiet confidence.

OT, where is that picture of the Volt between the two stone walls taken? Somewhere in Malvern or Willistown? It looks like Chester County stonework.

Sep 5th, 2011 (7:47 am)

The number one reason why new customers are entering a Chevy dealership needs to be researched so GM can coninue this success story. Is it the Volt alone, or the amazing list of awards it received? Are articles or advertisement helping? Did some customers view, “Who Killed the Electric Car?” on iTunes or “Revenge of the Electric Car” and that got them motivated to want an electric car? Are they listening to the rants in the media? Are the continued high fuel prices motivating the buyer to consider electric? Did they see a Volt in the wild, and like the design? Is the $7,500 tax credit a motivation to research what car qualifies? Do some of the buyers dream of a Tesla or Fisker, but want to spend less for an EV? Does the advantage of E-REV create the interest in Volt compared with a BEV model? Did they experience seeing the Volt at an Auto Show? Rereading the article does indicate that searching the web for fuel efficiency is a major reason they find the Volt.

Personally, IMHO the new buyers were impressed with the combined data over the last year and put it in the back of their minds to check out the Volt the next time they were ready to purchase or lease a new car.

Tim Hart

Tim Hart

Sep 5th, 2011 (8:39 am)

GM is pretty much doing what they always talked about–a slow ramp-up and then gathering some steam as people begin to understand the Volt and demand increases. I really respect GM for not going the way of the Nissan Leaf and making stupid ads dissing the competition. They have let all the stupid controversy go on without reacting to it–just going about their business in a classy way. My Volt is scheduled to go into production this week and hopefully in a month or so I’ll be driving the best car on the planet!

Sep 5th, 2011 (8:46 am)

Or it could be that many people who have taken a look here at gm-volt.com have realized that the Volt was not just a science project by GM.

Or maybe the people of this country are not as stupid as those in Washington DC think we are, and are ready for something completely different!!!

And my order status moved to 3300!!!! :) :)

NPNS

Ted in Fort Myers

Ted in Fort Myers

Sep 5th, 2011 (9:01 am)

Not one more GI needs to die to import petroleum.

It earned these awards becasue it is the best there is out there today.

Take Care, TED

MrEnergyCzar

MrEnergyCzar

Sep 5th, 2011 (9:07 am)

He would be against any car that received gov’t subsidy. That’s what this is about.

Sep 5th, 2011 (9:16 am)

article quote:

“As of today, it is producing around half that number – 150 Volts per day, four days a week.”

I thought we figured around 1500/mo for the rest of the year to get to 10000 in all of 2011. The number in the article comes out at 2400/mo.???

Ray I

Ray I

Sep 5th, 2011 (9:17 am)

The Volt just arrived in NH and I recently drove one. Very nice car. Handles well and is peppy for a vehicle of this type. I was ready to place an order but the dealer and I could not come to terms on my trade. They were off by about $1K. During the negotiations they made reference to the tax credit expiring in 2011. I was wondering who will be buying the Volt without the tax credit?

jim fallston md

jim fallston md

Sep 5th, 2011 (9:22 am)

Don’t get me wrong, I definitly will be bying a Volt soon as the money becomes available and have now driven 2 and am very impressed. I think the main reasons people may be bying other vehicles weather it be a Cruze or other car is the rear seating. Some people can’t get past the 4 seat capacity for many reasons family related. When I got in the back seat with the front seat up far enough for decent leg room my head was 2-3 inches higher than the headliner, I had to put my head into the window well to get it upright. I am 5’11″ with a tall torso. Most adults will probably have the same dislike for feeling this uncomfortable at least for their passengers. I don’t really care about that because usually there is only 2 in my vehicles and I leave the backseats folded down for cargo capacity. The last reason probably is the initial shock of the high price. Most people including myself, have never spent more than $25,000.00 for new cars or trucks and probably never will. IMHO.

scottf200

scottf200

Sep 5th, 2011 (9:48 am)

Ray I:

Unless some politics changes the existing rules it will be a few years before the tax credit expires. From many sources and this one from the wiki:

The federal tax credit phases out over a one year period after the manufacturer has sold at least 200,000 vehicles in the U.S.[99]

99 ^ “Notice 2009–89: New Qualified Plug-in Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit” . Internal Revenue Service. 2009-11-30. Retrieved 2010-04-01.

Shawn Marshall

Shawn Marshall

Sep 5th, 2011 (9:59 am)

(click to show comment)

Sep 5th, 2011 (10:38 am)

Ray I:

Sep 5th, 2011 (11:22 am)

Ray I:

Sounds good Ray. We are getting one too in sept at Chapman, Tempe. I am really looking forward to finally seeing one (and driving it) after all these years on this blog. Hopefully SHE likes it too!!

Steverino

Steverino

Sep 5th, 2011 (11:23 am)

Jim I:

Count me as one of those, Jim!

George S. Bower:
    article quote:

The balance for exports, demo cars, George?

Sep 5th, 2011 (11:29 am)

Raymondjram: I am one of the many who will buy the Volt without the tax credit, because it doesn’t apply to territories (I am in Puerto Rico). And on top of that, the local tax laws add $6,559 plus 32% of the price over $31,780, since the Volt is imported (all cars are imports here). So I have to save more to spend more. My estimate is over $49,000 for the basic Volt.

Go for it Raymond!

evnow

evnow

Sep 5th, 2011 (11:47 am)

In fact, Web traffic data from both Chevy.com and Edmunds.com show the Cruze is the most cross-shopped vehicle to the Volt, GM said, adding the Cruze has been the number-one selling car in the U.S. for the past couple of months.

Jeff Cobb

Jeff Cobb

Sep 5th, 2011 (11:53 am)

Slapshot28,

I believe it was off of Flowing Springs Rd. between Kimberton and Birchrunville.

Sep 5th, 2011 (12:05 pm)

Up until 5 minutes ago, I thought Neil Cavuto was one of the best talking heads on Fox News. I don’t watch him daily, but I watch his show more than others. Apparently, I’ve missed every episode where he craps on the VOLT for being a “stupid electric car that will lead to 80% of the divorces in America…”

Its obvious he has never driven the car. So he is still stuck with his ‘golf cart’ mentality. I am stunned… and I mean REALLY STUNNED at his attitude about the Volt. Talk about “Fair and Balanced”..???!!!

crew

crew

Sep 5th, 2011 (12:09 pm)

Time after time, GM has put some very market savvy vehicles on the road. Many have succeeded and many have failed.
    But they keep on trying.
    The preproduction interviews of everyone involved with the Volt identify this car with the resurgence of GM as a world class manufacturer of cars you can depend on. The Cruze, more than the Volt, will be the barometer of this effort for the sheer numbers involved. The Volt, as a halo car, absolutely cannot suffer quality control problems but can be written off more easily as quite a bit fewer people are actually driving them.

Before the Volt hit the showrooms, I have said that the more important vehicle to the new direction of GM (re: new motto) is the Cruze. This car is not being built the same way as the Citation. Remember that car? The Citation was most recent poster child for GM screwing up a good concept. It, too, was the best selling car in the US but died from quality control problems that were typical of the entire line of GM products. If it weren’t for the Korean cars, that were even worse, the domestics would not have been able to recover from that generation of GM employees and owners.
    The Cruze is the car to watch for the success of GM and the UAW controlled auto industry.

Common sense rules more often than the opinions of the idiots that just don’t get EV’s. That video is hilarious and I commonly refer anyone with that anti-Volt jargon as a Micheal Moore fat a__ clone that was either a disgruntled employee or lost money on the stock. Even in my own family, the discussion of the Volt comes with the political baggage that I argue hard to discard. I constantly remind everyone of what this car would be if this were on the road during the Carter and Reagen administrations.
    The oldtimers, like Cavuto, remember gas lines but write that era off as a political disaster and not as a control issue of the world supply of crude oil.

They can laugh all they want at the Volt. We love it, own it, profess it and prove it to be the best thing on four wheels in a long, long time. We know how to turn oil use back to where it does the most good and keep it in the ground a lot longer than idiots like Cavuto would.

Along the lines of flying in the face of critics, GM’s announcement that they’re bringing Bob Lutz back on board is the best news I’ve heard since he left.
    Maybe GM really is on the right track. This is one stock I’ll watch closely with the JD Powers reports on the Cruze, not the Volt.

T 1

T 1

Sep 5th, 2011 (12:16 pm)

“Question is, what more will GM do, and how effectively can it get its message across that today’s Volt makes sense?”

Not sure they need to do anything more than they have announced–just keep building more as planned. The viral nature of the community around this breakthrough car is doing a lot of the pr/advertising work for GM.

Sep 5th, 2011 (12:29 pm)

GM needs to put e-assist in the Cruze!!

Sep 5th, 2011 (12:32 pm)

Then they need a Volt at around 34000$.
    They could do it but they still need the current 40 mile AER or higher for the same price as now.

ie 2 volt models

LauraM

LauraM

Sep 5th, 2011 (12:55 pm)

CorvetteGuy: WTF !!! At first I thought he was kidding, but that montage really shines the idiot light in his face big time! His mind shuts off after the words ‘electric car’ and simply refuses to acknowledge the rest of the description, ‘with extended range’. It’s true he has to plug it in, but hasn’t anyone told him that the car can send him a text message if he ‘forgets’ to plug it in tonight? And he doesn’t mention the Volt having its own on-board generator so he doesn’t have to worry about being served with a fat divorce lawsuit…! Apparently he does not know the car has a total range of 400 miles. Sheesh!

As long as the Volt being unappealing fits in better with the fox news narrative, they will continue to disparage it. The truth has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Tom W

Tom W

Sep 5th, 2011 (1:27 pm)

CorvetteGuy: I invite you, Mr. Cavuto, to my dealership for a complete description, explanation, demonstration, and test drive of the BEST CAR General Motors has produced in a very long time.

Maybe its all a ploy by Cavuto to have GM give him a Volt Loaner so he can save on his gas bill.

James

James

Sep 5th, 2011 (1:47 pm)

From tests I’ve read to videos on YouTube – time after time the Volt is seen out in the wild as ” a rock star “. “Tboult”, a poster on GM-Volt’s forum coins the phrase: ” Volt – It’s More Freedom Than Electric! “. Now why on earth didn’t the bigtime ad agency GM hired to market Volts think of this rather than what they came up with?! Tboult lives in Colorado and bought his Volt in Texas – now that’s dedication folks! Just think when the car can be bought by a person strolling into nearly any dealership statewide?!

This thread goes on to describe a road trip where everywhere they went folks were attracted to the Volt and many asked very educated and practical questions. The only thing that will get Volt over the hump of misinformation and ire is to get large numbers of them on the road. I studied the 2nd gen Prius before it came out in 2004 and remember chasing down a woman in one – the first I’d ever seen in the flesh ( the Prius – not the WOMAN, LOL! ). Like today’s Volt owners she excitedly and patiently fielded all my questions. All this posturing, positioning and damage control ends the day Volt stands on it’s own. Half of all car sales come from folks who’ve seen one on the road and pursue that model from there.

When a guy at the watercooler brags that he’s driven to work gasoline-free for a month, and us Prius owners turn green with envy – that’s when the potential Prius owner turns his/her attention to the Chevrolet dealer.

My Volt advertisement would plainly say: “It’s the electric vehicle that has it’s own generator onboard allowing you to drive as far as you want WHEN you want! – VOLT – IT’S MORE FREEDOM THAN ELECTRIC.” And show the guy whizzing past a gas station – people pumping looking pissed that they’re there – and heck, toss in a LEAF guy hitchhiking next to his dead EV ( OK, maybe not THAT part! )! :)

At any rate – GM, just add shifts and build the heck out of ‘em and stop the “halo” nonsense!

PUMP OUT THE VOLTECS! ,

James

Gerald Storvik

Gerald Storvik

Sep 5th, 2011 (1:52 pm)

Ray I,

Forget that dealer/salesman. He lies to make a sale.

The tax credit on the Volt goes until 200,000 are sold, which can’t posibly happen before 2013/2014.

They will only have made about 70,000 by the end of 2012.

pat

pat

Sep 5th, 2011 (3:06 pm)

Fox news is a propaganda channel – full of bs**** it is biased to the xtreme. Having said that Volt compares very well for those who buy higher end cars like Bmw, Infiniti etc plus a car with no gas for commute and will all the gadgets and electronics. One is right that many of us who will not be able to afford one now but who knows in another 2-3 years.

One thing is certain that GM must never allow the quality to suffer again. Volt should and is a premium car and one pays premium price for it. Hopefully, GM can put $$ in research and development and keep the quality #1 as its only focus for the workers. And hopefully, us the citizens will do our part to buy US made products.

pat

pat

Sep 5th, 2011 (3:19 pm)

CorvetteGuy,

These are political hacks and not really journalists. Their sole motivation is to push the GOP propaganda and anything else dont matter. O has invested $$$ in alternative sources of energy and this is crucial for US to get ahead and be a leader in this field. Only investments and tax breaks in this area will encourage private investment. We need to get away from oil and their is no 2 ways about it. Sooner the better but we are up against a very powerful oil lobby. Oil is a big business and they have the $$$ connections to lobby hard against any thing which is going take anything away from them.

MichaelH

MichaelH

Sep 5th, 2011 (3:38 pm)

pat: Fox news is a propaganda channel – full of bs**** it is biased to the xtreme.

See also, “The Most Interesting Car in The World”

Sep 5th, 2011 (4:12 pm)

MichaelH: They ask the question as a come-on than answer it with, no “GM is certainly on track to build more than 10,000 cars by Christmas break.”

I would like to at least have all of my 2011>That rolled over to 2012>orders filled by Halloween! JEEEZ! Most of these good customers have been waiting since February!

frankie2.jpg

Sep 5th, 2011 (4:27 pm)

MichaelH:

See also, “The Most Interesting Car in The World”

Yes Michael that was a good video….and the title really sums up my thoughts about the Volt. It really is the most interesting car in the world.!!

Jeff Cobb

Jeff Cobb

Sep 5th, 2011 (5:00 pm)

evnow,

OK.

Sep 5th, 2011 (5:38 pm)

I think the story is getting a bit confused. No question the Volt was conceived as a halo car and there can be no doubt that it has successfully fulfilled that purpose. However, if you’re shipping 60K units a year you’re no longer talking about a halo car.

I have no doubt that the Volt will sell in increasing numbers as people realize that it’s a premium ride at an economy price. The Kiplinger article featured on this site found the total cost of owning a Volt over five years was a mere $500 more than the TCO for a Cruze. Yet the quality of the ride couldn’t be more different. Not that the Cruze is bad, but the Volt is extraordinary, better than many luxury cars. (US World Reports ranked it as the equal of the BMW 3 series on this score, and IMO this understates the Volt’s quality).

MichaelH

MichaelH

Sep 5th, 2011 (6:05 pm)

So, on this labor day 2011, anybody want to go back to building them like they did in 1936? Fascinating 1936 Footage Of Car Assembly Line:

pjkPA

pjkPA

Sep 5th, 2011 (6:45 pm)

Ted in Fort Myers: In 2006 I looked for en electric car. In 2010 I only looked at electric cars. Seems a few other people are also getting the message. I like the range extender in my Volt though I very infrequently use it.My reasoning in looking for an electric car is burning American fuel. Most don’t think about it but over $.80 out of every $1.00 spent on gas leaves the USA never to return with a devastating effect on the economy.Not one more GI needs to die to import petroleum.Now that I have one, the Chevy Volt is the best car I have ever driven or owned. It rides like a Lexus. It handles like a BMW-3 series. It is very pleasantly silent in its operation. I tell people daily. It earned these awards becasue it is the best there is out there today.Take Care, TED

Great post TED … worth repeating.
    “the Chevy Volt is the best car I have ever driven or owned. It rides like a Lexus. It handles like a BMW-3 series. It is very pleasantly silent in its operation. I tell people daily. ” … couldn’t have said it better myself…. except a Lexus or BMW has never been as quiet or had the effortless power as the CHEVY VOLT…. thanks for the post.

Schmeltz

Schmeltz

Sep 5th, 2011 (6:50 pm)

Slapshot28

Slapshot28

Sep 5th, 2011 (8:13 pm)

Schmeltz: This story ties into a complaint I posted on Friday’s article. I don’t know. I still feel the ownous is on GM to get the lead out and start getting these cars everywhere. They were too slow with their ramp up in my opinion, now they reap the consequences in serving ammunition to their critics. 302 sales for August is a disgrace–plain and simple. There’s no way you can dress that up–it is what it is. And my whole point is, as far as I can tell, these low sales numbers were completely avoidable. By now, we should have had Volts available in every one of the contiguous states for customers to drive and try. GM is not even making Volts fast enough to supply the customers who have raised their hands.I just pray often that this situation gets turned around. That’s all I know to say about this.

I think it would have been too risky for GM to have ramped as fast you suggest. It seems to me that GM had a clear vision: do the 2011 production run and then scale up based on demand. GM saw the high demand, and scaled up in July, for the Model Year 2012. It seems as though it does take a while for the pipeline to refill, and that’s what we saw both in July (almost no sales) and August (just the first few MY 2012 rolling out, plus a few remaining MY 2011).

Just as GM is saying, September will tell the tale. Now there ARE Volts to test-drive all over the country, and September numbers should approach (or even exceed) 2,000 cars produced/sold.

Sep 5th, 2011 (8:24 pm)

DonC:

That’s the bottom line!
    Good one as usual DonC!

Sep 5th, 2011 (8:33 pm)

DonC:

Shipping is one thing. The next big hurdle in this pathetic economy is SELLING them.
    Hopefully I can do my part soon. (If I get permission) :)

vegasguy

vegasguy

Sep 5th, 2011 (9:02 pm)

“GM said more than 700 Volts are being shipped to Volt dealerships in Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Delaware, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, Oregon and Washington for use as demonstration units.”

But still No Volts in Nevada along with 34 other states who can’t buy a Volt! I would buy a Volt today but I can’t, at least not without going to another state to buy one and then probably have to drive to another state for service. Makes no sense to me so I have to wait until GM decides I’m worthy of a Volt. I’m not waiting for the next Gen or for the price to come down, just waiting until I can buy one! I’ve been reading this site almost since day one, along with others I’m sure. GM doesn’t have to “sell” me on the concept, I’ve been sold from the start. Just waiting!

Redeye

Redeye

Sep 5th, 2011 (10:16 pm)

CorvetteGuy,

I always thought Cavuto was an ok guy too until I saw him rant on the Volt.
    I can’t believe he can be so dumb and ignorant.

Hope someone sets him straight and he wise’s up.

Sep 6th, 2011 (12:01 am)

“Fact is, GM understands its own strengths and weaknesses. That the Volt is predominately a winner is why the company has stuck to its guns and let the critics yell their heads off.”
    —————-

I agree with this. I think everyone will eventually look back at 2011/12 and laugh at some of the arguments that were made. (some of us are laughing now)

Sep 6th, 2011 (12:08 am)

MrEnergyCzar: He would be against any car that received gov’t subsidy. That’s what this is about

Name a car company that hasn’t?

Sep 6th, 2011 (12:13 am)

jim fallston md: Most people including myself, have never spent more than $25,000.00 for new cars or trucks and probably never will. IMHO.

You should know the average price of a new car sold in the US is $28,400. This value will continue to increase as the price of Volt should relatively decrease.

Sep 6th, 2011 (12:15 am)

Shawn Marshall: Aug 2011 Sales
    Prius 9,491
    Leaf 1,362
    Volt 302
    A graph of these sales figures monthly would be an interesting feature for your website Jeff

Why even bother w/the Prius? Might as well put a Toyota Tundras on the list too then?

Sep 6th, 2011 (12:21 am)

evnow: That should actually say “Cruze has been the number-one selling compact car”. Both Camry & Altima outsold Cruze last month.

Interestingly, the Ford F Series and Chevy Silverado both outsold the Camry & Altima. (F-series 200% more than the Altima). These were the top 2 selling vehicles.

Sep 6th, 2011 (12:28 am)

CorvetteGuy,

I wonder what happens at the Cavuto residence when someone forgets to plug in the cell phone, or turn off the stove, or shut the front door, or…..

I guess if I was as ingornant as him, I’d be worried about forgetting things too. What’s the saying…”If his head wasn’t screwed on….”

LauraM

LauraM

Sep 6th, 2011 (1:03 am)

MichaelH: This is just Neil Cavuto, and it has more to do with tax credits and GM bailout than the car. The car report guys actually are much more balanced with the Volt:

Then he should focus on tax credits and the GM bailout rather than repeatedly slamming a specific car that he clearly doesn’t know anything about.

On the other hand, Prince Al-Waleed bin Talal, of Saudi Arabia is the second biggest individual investor in News Corp. So maybe he does know exactly what he’s doing.

Sean

Sean

Sep 6th, 2011 (3:18 am)

You know what that critic is so lame he should get sued for good! He’s pathetic I tell you! But you know what GM should make a commercial of making fun of critics when the volt uses it’s charger like a viper’s mouth by electrocuting him for good and this is how the commercial should go. Are you sick of those loud mouth pathetic critics well Volt doesn’t either because the critics get it all wrong! Than the critic says: Oh no your the wrong one! Than the announcer says why do you say that because you have to plug it in and you get only 40 miles or less of range. Than the announcer says not true Mr. Critic! Critic says: Why? Because once the juice of the battery runs out you’ve got a gas tank that takes you about an extra 350 or 375 some miles on the road so you don’t have to worry about being stranded at all compare to other battery electric cars out there. Yeah but the Volt handles like a child’s play toy when you’ve got horrible horse power. Than the Volt says in a hissing snake like sound. Who… calls me a weakling… loser I’ve got torque and can out perform a gas car in a race. Than the critic says yeah right! Than the Volt says I dare to take you on! Than the critic takes his gas guzzler Corvette to a drag race track to see who has the better top speed. Than the critic pushes his gas peddle down a few times vroom! vroom! vroom! As he takes his time when the stop light goes from red to green and when the stop light goes beep! He takes off like a speeding bullet and throttles as fast as possible to get the best time on record once he finishes he says ha Volt take that! I bet an electric car can’t do that you are such a golf cart. Than the Volt says in it’s serpent like voice. I am no golf cart I can go at a top speed at 107 MPH you’ve… been… warned….. loser! Yeah right your the loser Volt no you are and I’ll show you what an electric car is all about! Than the volt watches the stop light as the stoplight goes from red to green but before the Volt could take off the critic says: Hey where’s your vroom, vroom baby? Than the Volt says I don’t need no vroom vroom. Than the stop light goes beep! than the volt takes off hurdling off like a silent rocket and the critic can’t believe what he’s seeing with his two own eyes and says how can this be! An electric car that can go over 100 MPH unbelievable! Plus the Volt beats the Corvette critic by five seconds and the critic says but how? But how could you beat me on my time lap? Volt says: Because torque rules over horse power! Than the critic argues and says horse power is way better than torque and says you’re absolutely wrong Miss. Volt. Than Volt says: I’m sorry to do this critic but I have to send you to your own kind and the critic says what do you mean by my own kind? This is what I mean by and the Volt takes out her charger plug and points it at him and she says. You are going to the underworld. Yeah right that plug is not gonna harm me! Than the Volt shakes it’s plug and it sounds like a rattlesnake’s rattle and the critic says in a sarcastic way yeah right Volt that won’t harm me than the Volt lunges at the critic at the most unexpected moment by taking it’s pray down and the critic goes uhhhhhhh! As he get’s electrocuted by it’s fearsome looking plug and the critic falls down and dies and goes to the underworld for good. Last But not least the message says at the end of the commercial. Never trust a critic they never listen at all!

Sep 6th, 2011 (12:03 pm)

To be so smart, Neil Cavuto is so-o-o-o dumb! I really like listening to the guy dealing with financial matters, but he is so wrong about the Volt it is pitiful.

Sep 6th, 2011 (12:41 pm)

We have to be mindful of one thing when considering why people are coming into dealerships and purchasing the Cruze in large numbers. That is that the impact of the Volt drawing customers who divert their attention to other, less expensive vehicles, is much less now than it will be later when the Volt is finally available nation-wide. The availability of the Volt in only a few states at this time is not the driving force behind the Cruze sales. It is the Cruze itself. IMHO.

Sep 6th, 2011 (1:37 pm)

#23 Laura M: “Well, that should give you an idea about the “journalistic standards” at Fox news. As in, they have none. All the journalists I know say they make stuff up on a regular basis, so…”
    ————————-

Sep 6th, 2011 (2:33 pm)

N Riley: Your dislike for Fox News does color your comment here. Let us be more “fair and balanced” even when all the networks (cable and broadcast) are not by a long stretch of the imagination.

But Fox News is the worst.

“Fox News Viewers are the most consistently misinformed media viewers.”

LauraM

LauraM

Sep 6th, 2011 (8:30 pm)

N Riley: You can say the same thing about all of the news media for differing subject matters. I have heard some very similar comments about the Volt on every network. Let us not blame Cavuto’s failures on Fox News. Your dislike for Fox News does color your comment here. Let us be more “fair and balanced” even when all the networks (cable and broadcast) are not by a long stretch of the imagination.

I don’t watch TV news. Unless there’s a major event like, say, 911 where the news changes so fast, you need to be watching to keep up. Or, hurricane Irene. And, even then, I tend to stick to my local channel. (New York One.) So, I don’t known enough to comment on how accurate any of the other networks are. Although I’ve heard from journalists, that they are by far the worst as far as spreading misinformation.

However, to the best of my knowledge, none of the others advertise themselves as “fair and balanced,” when they are clearly anything but. Even the New York times doesn’t claim to be “fair and balanced.” Not saying they are, but at least they don’t say they are! (Although once upon a time, I’ve heard that the New York Times used to be.)

Tall Pete

Tall Pete

Sep 7th, 2011 (9:48 pm)

LauraM: If you want a source with a conservative bias that shows at least some regard for accuracy, the wall street journal does a much better job, IMHO. Better yet? Forbes.

‘Some regard for accuracy’. LOL.

Kevin Porter

Kevin Porter

Sep 9th, 2011 (11:26 am)

I have owned my Volt since mid-march of this year. I traded in a Lexus IS250 and leased my Volt. I am 53 years old and have never owned a GM vehicle in my life. I can unequivically state that this is the best car I have ever owned. Much better than my Lexus which had a slew of problems and recalls. I have put 6500 miles on the car and have used 53 gallons of gas mainly as the result of a few long trips. My utility put a charging station in my garage at no cost. I have not even seen much of a change in my electric bill. The savings in gas costs are essentially covering my modest lease payment. I have not been back to the dealer since I picked up the Volt. There hasn’t been even the slightest hiccup with this car. I am thrilled that America can still engineer and build great cars. I will definitely re-visit the the Chevy showroom when the time comes (soon) to replace my wife’s Honda Pilot.

cyberpine

cyberpine

Sep 24th, 2011 (10:03 am)

The Volt will move and fast when they can offer a $299/mo 0 down 36 month 15000 mile lease. The best I’ve seen here in South florida is $399/mo $2000 in 15k lease. Also, that 30 mile range will mean fuel costs for many anyways. A small engine Cruise is just a better deal frankly. I think it’s a very nice looking car.. and we are very very close.