Aug 30

Subtle Changes for the 2012 VOLT

By CorvetteGuy

A few questions have been asked about what changes have been made to the Chevrolet VOLT for 2012. The documentation sent to the dealerships has everything spelled out in text, but uses the same photos from the 2011 model.

The first 2012 VOLT arrived at our dealership this past Thursday. My customer had ordered a 2011 VOLT on Feb. 20, and sadly we could not get the additional allocation. Thankfully, he was very patient and we rolled it over to a 2012. We scheduled a delivery time for Friday at 5 pm. Our service department and detailers did not finish the pre-delivery inspection and detailing of the car until 4:30, so I had very little time to go over the car myself to see what has actually changed.

Below are a few photos followed by the “Official List” of changes and the “What’s New” pdf that I received.

New passive reflectors this year.

Someone posted the question a few days ago about the tail light having additional white squares on them. This was the first thing I checked out. Using the brakes and the turn signals, I found that these white squares are merely “passive reflectors.”

When the turn signals or brakes are used, the red light shines straight through them. But, when the car is parked and just sitting there, they reflect the light better than the old tail light bezels.

Updated door handle.

Next, is the Standard Keyless Access. The surprising part here is that the new push-button appears on all four doors! That I did not expect. The button is chrome, not body-colored, so it is easy to spot. With the key fob in your pocket or purse, when you approach the car, pushing the button once unlocks the driver’s door. A second time unlocks the remaining doors and the rear hatch.

New icons.

The Driver Display Screen has a couple of new icons. In the bottom-left under the “Total Range” readout is a green icon of a car and the word “READY.”

The documentation sent to us does not explain why this was added, but it was briefly mentioned in a training video that is is there to let you know the car is ready to operate. I do not know if a similar or different-colored icon appears if it were “NOT READY” …

Also, there is a new icon for “Navigation.” Again the documentation does not go into detail about this selection, but it was mentioned in the training video that when the “OnStar Turn-By-Turn-Navigation” is used, selecting this on the driver’s display will show the nav system instructions in that small area of the screen.

Yellow back-lit PRNDL display is new this year.

Another welcome improvement is on the center console next to the gear selector. In addition to the PRNDL that is shown in the upper-right of the driver’s display, there are backlit PRNDL letters in the center console itself. The letters are back lit in yellow for the chosen gear.

Improved clarity here too.

My favorite improvement is to the clarity and size of the text on the touch-panel center stack. The labels are slightly larger and much crisper than on last year’s car. They are very easy to read now and you don’t have to squint at them to read them even in bright daylight. I did not have the chance to check them out at night, but I would guess that there is an improvement there also.

Energy in kWh used is shown.

On the centerstack screen for “Energy Info” the display now shows “kWh used” for this charge. I know that many of you have posted that this calculation is far more informative than “Total Miles”. It still shows “250+ mpg” on the right, and the Lifetime MPG calculation on the bottom-right.

Eco-minded hooligans take note: Could this be an On/Off capability for traction control?

And finally, on the overhead console there is a new button for “Traction Control On/Off.” This may be the most “FUN” addition to the VOLT !!! In the 2011 Owner’s Manual, Page 1-23, it states “The Traction Control System limits wheelspin. The system turns on automatically every time the vehicle is on and cannot be turned off.”

Get ready fans!!! Now you CAN TURN IT OFF, and smoke your tires with the best of them! I do not have a copy of the 2012 owner’s manual yet to fully confirm this, but what other reason would there be to add a button to turn the dang thing off?

Well, that is all I could find in the very short time I had with a 2012 VOLT. In addition to the 11 remaining orders that we have taken so far that need to be filled, we just ordered a Summit White VOLT, with all of the options, to put in our showroom for sale. We hope to have it by Thanksgiving.

Here is the link to the “What’s New Guide” that I have posted.

Enjoy.

What’s New Guide

This entry was posted on Tuesday, August 30th, 2011 at 5:55 am and is filed under General. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

Aug 30th, 2011 (6:40 am)

Thanks CorvetteGuy for a great report and photos. I thought those white taillight reflectors were additional backup lights, thanks for the clarification.

A Ready display could be helpful when using remote start and thinking that the Volt is ready after entering. The console PRNDL display may help some drivers, but I am very pleased with feedback provided on the dash display. When shifting into reverse, the confusion occurs with the extra “click” needed after driving in low. It will be interesting if the additional PRNDL helps the situation.

The multiple door release buttons sounds like a major security feature IF only the door bring opened is unlocked. This would prevent someone opening the drivers door while the driver is helping a person into the passenger seat. Hope GM engineered it perfectly.

Aug 30th, 2011 (7:09 am)

Great article, CorvetteGuy!

Aug 30th, 2011 (7:35 am)

I posted here some time ago about the 2011 Chevy Volt Owners Manual and Service Manual that were both available at Helm Inc. Today I checked and the 2012 Owners Manual isn’t listed, but the 2012 Service Manual is listed, but not available yet:

2012 Chevy Volt Service Manual Set
    Price: $150.00 Item not yet released to Helm from manufacturer. The item will be available on 12/1/2011. Click here if you would like to be notified when this item becomes available.
    Pkg Qty: 1
    (English, Paper, GMP12R)

So for you 2012 Volt owners, start saving and planning for December

ClarksonCote

ClarksonCote

Aug 30th, 2011 (7:40 am)

These pictures are much better than the “opportunity” pics I posted in the forum a week or so ago when I saw a 2012 Volt on the lot (but sold). Thanks CorvetteGuy!

join thE REVolution

ClarksonCote

ClarksonCote

Aug 30th, 2011 (8:00 am)

Oh, one other thought… The best thing about that “What’s New Guide” is that it now shows the Volt in Blue Topaz Metallic! Looks fantastic!

join thE REVolution

TonyK

TonyK

Aug 30th, 2011 (8:26 am)

That new Blue color is amazing. That is what I will be getting once I save my pennies. Good job GM on offering some more colors.

Aug 30th, 2011 (8:30 am)

Thanks for the excellent report Corvetteguy!

The traction control “OFF” news is good. I rarely use this on the Hemi (because it just smokes expensive tires), but, sometimes tire smoke is needed! Any idea if it has a locker diff (transaxel)?

An off setting could be useful in snow or muddy conditions as well.

Bob

Bob

Aug 30th, 2011 (8:41 am)

Yeah, I have a Chevy Cavalier with the Traction Control system and I will say that it really sucks when trying to get out of the snow. You’ve got some buddies outside rocking the car, you’ve got kitty litter and boards and crap in front of and behind the wheels, but when you stomp on the gas the tires just gives a limp little jerk as though the car were trying to kick out in its sleep. As soon as the wheels start to spin, it goes “Oh no, the wheels are spinning, I’d better throttle back… oh, it’s been five whole milliseconds and they’re still spinning, throttle back some more… still spinning, well, I’ll just cut the throttle altogether. That’s surely much better than spinning the tires.”

Jeff

Jeff

Aug 30th, 2011 (8:41 am)

Hooray for the 2012 Volt improvements! I have found only a few things annoying about my 2011 Volt, and they have both been fixed in 2012! That means GM is listening to its customers. First is keyless entry. It’s great that I don’t need to take my key out of my pocket to start the engine, but in my 2011 Volt I still need to take it out to unlock the door! I am so glad Chevy fixed this in 2012. Second is the clarity and size of the text on the touch-panel center stack. I have found it difficult to read the text (both with and without glasses) and that, too has now been fixed in the 2012 Volt.

Keep up the good work, Chevy. My 2011 Volt is an amazing car, and 2012 looks to be even better!

hamchief

hamchief

Aug 30th, 2011 (9:15 am)

Yes, it appears that they did listen to us!
    I just had 9 modules reprogrammedand and the 2012 display enhancments did not “appear”.
    I wonder if they will be available as upgrades/updates in the near future – especially the kWh used.

BobL

BobL

Aug 30th, 2011 (9:19 am)

To be honest, I don’t like the white square reflectors, in fact if that’s all they do I think they’re ridiculous, and I don’t especially like the PRNDL display on the center console. The larger graphics on the touch controls would be nice. Often the first year of a car like this is essentially the ‘designer edition’, then they start screwing with it. But those are minor things, it’s still the greatest car in the world. 🙂

Aug 30th, 2011 (9:33 am)

tom w

tom w

Aug 30th, 2011 (9:35 am)

Still waiting for the best 2012 improvement, dropping the price a couple thousand so that along with the 7500 rebate maybe I can buy one in Ohio Next Summer?

Aug 30th, 2011 (9:41 am)

Thanks for the precise report and excellent pictures. 🙂

wainair1

wainair1

Aug 30th, 2011 (9:49 am)

2x thumbs up for the traction control off button!! I’ll always have it on until I get stuck in a snowbank and need it off to get out. Like Bob says it will keep you stuck in a situation where you actually have to spin your wheels to get out. I’ve had it happen too with my smart car, only it wouldn’t cut the throttle it would jam on the breaks killing the engine! With that car I bought a disabler switch that you plugged into the OBD port to turn off the traction control because it didn’t have a switch. And let me tell you it was a real PITA to be on your hands and knees in slush trying to get up under the dash to plug it in at night in a snowstorm when you are stuck. The ability to turn it off when needed was needed and MANY thanks to GM for putting in that switch!! I’m super stoked to get my Blue Volt now! Come on October!!!

BryanC

BryanC

Aug 30th, 2011 (10:01 am)

Do you have a picture of the new optional wheels?

Aug 30th, 2011 (10:26 am)

Thx for the article Corvette GUY!!

P5 of the what’s new guide shows as a STANDARD feature:
    — bluetooth for select phones

P6 under the UP9 package it shows ENHANCED bluetooth for some phones-acts almost like a USB connection. (note also that UP9 package can only be ordered if you also order UFV nav package.

Question:

What bluetooth connectivity do you get on the standard bluetooth as oppsed to the UP9 My Link package.

I need to decide if I really need the UP9 Mylink package and the UFV Nav package. (probably expensive features.

Ron C

Ron C

Aug 30th, 2011 (10:38 am)

I’m so ready! Thanks for the pics and docs.

I’ve got a red 2012 on order – I wanted the blue, but I’d rather have red than wait for an allocation to pop up at my dealer. As it is, I have his last one for the fall…

Ron C

Aug 30th, 2011 (10:44 am)

Bob,

The newer traction control systems are much smarter as they allow a little more wheel spin before taking over. My Dodge (2005), for example, does at least a full tire rotation before the traction control engages.

However, they are still pretty dumb when it comes to needing some additional wheel spin in snow and mud conditions.

Plus, there’s no way to do a burn-out with traction control ON!!

Shawn Marshall

Shawn Marshall

Aug 30th, 2011 (10:45 am)

OT
    Another link for ECO2-freaks.

Volts are cartel killers not planet savers.

Aug 30th, 2011 (10:53 am)

Ron C:
    I’m so ready! Thanks for the pics and docs.

Ron C

Ron,
    Did you order the new Mylink (UP9) feature and did you order polished or painted wheels. and if you get painted are they 17″ (I think they are)
    Thx,
    GSB

Aug 30th, 2011 (11:00 am)

Is the 2012 features pricing posted somewhere??

Aug 30th, 2011 (11:23 am)

nasaman:
    Great article, CorvetteGuy!

True that. +1 Thanks.

bitguru

bitguru

Aug 30th, 2011 (11:32 am)

I like the blue topaz color.

So now 3 years of OnStar are included, compared to 5 years for the 2011 Volt?

James

Aug 30th, 2011 (11:38 am)

MichaelH: On the picture showing the “On/Off capability for traction control” I notice that the size and shape of the hands-free microphone holes have changed. The 2011 Volt has two round holes on each side. I see the 2012 Volt has four slots on each side. I wonder what they are trying to improve here.

Hi Michael! I’m sure it has to do with the addition of MyLink to the 2012 Volt. Seems it would be a slightly larger opening to assure accuracy to the voice recogniton/commands – esp. for song titles, etc.

One more change on the center stack is the little “home” icon ( house picture ) that is explained in GM’s updated 2012 videos for the color touchscreen ( on the Volt site ). It must not be on models without certain options.

I was a bit puzzled at the white square reflectors not having more utility than just reflectors. I thought it was additional safety when the transmission was in R. The low position of the backup light would be a bit less visable to most people than indicators located higher in the taillights where most cars have them.

RECHARGE! ,

James

Aug 30th, 2011 (11:50 am)

BryanC: Do you have a picture of the new optional wheels?

Here they are:

2012_volt_wheels.jpg

Aug 30th, 2011 (11:51 am)

George S. Bower: Is the 2012 features pricing posted somewhere??

On our dealership website: http://www.allnewchevyvolt.com 🙂

Aug 30th, 2011 (11:55 am)

George S. Bower,

(UP9) Chevrolet MyLink Connected Color Radio
    (LA TE AVAILABILI TY)
    An in-car infotainment package that builds on the
    safety, security and mobility features of OnStar and
    seamlessly integrates online services like Pandora®
    internet radio and Stitcher SmartRadio® using handsfree
    voice and touchscreen controls via Bluetooth
    connectivity to your mobile media device while it
    remains safely stowed. Enhanced hands-free voice
    recognition system allows simple voice commands to
    initiate phone calls and select radio stations or media
    from portable MP3 players and smartphones.
    Embedded, updateable Gracenote database shows
    artist name, genres and album cover art on the MyLink
    screen. Updateable radio software.

Aug 30th, 2011 (12:00 pm)

Does the Volt have a programmable button for a garage door?

Has anyone used a USB thumb drive w/music on it?

Pricing/info on the larger tires?

Any update on a specific date when MyLink will be available?

(thanks for all the new info CG)

[edit: i see the pics now, and they are not larger, just sportier]

Aug 30th, 2011 (12:02 pm)

These are the main options:

Key Available Equipment

(UFV) Audio System with Navigation
    AM/FM stereo with DVD-ROM and MP3 playback
    capability, includes voice recognition, RDS and
    timeshift function. Requires (UQA) Bose premium
    speaker system, includes audio data storage
    hard drive, NavTraffic and Local Forecast.

(UP9) Chevrolet MyLink Connected Color Radio
    (LATE AVAILABILI TY)
    An in-car infotainment package that builds on the
    safety, security and mobility features of OnStar and
    seamlessly integrates online services like Pandora®
    internet radio and Stitcher SmartRadio® using handsfree
    voice and touchscreen controls via Bluetooth
    connectivity to your mobile media device while it
    remains safely stowed. Enhanced hands-free voice
    recognition system allows simple voice commands to
    initiate phone calls and select radio stations or media
    from portable MP3 players and smartphones.
    Embedded, updateable Gracenote database shows
    artist name, genres and album cover art on the MyLink
    screen. Updateable radio software.

(PCW) Rear Camera and Park Assist Package
    Includes:
    (UVC) Rear Camera System
    (UD5) Front and Rear Parking Assist

(PCQ) Premium Trim Package1
    Includes:
    (EAL) Perforated leather-appointed seat trim
    (N30) Leather-wrapped steering wheel
    (KA1) Heated driver and front-passenger seats

(FIF) Premium door trim
    1 Requires, perforated leather-appointed seat trim, (AFC) Jet Black and Green,
    (AFD) Jet Black and White, (AFG) Jet Black and Spice Red, (AFI) Jet Black
    or (AFF) Light Neutral. (FIF) Premium door trim is deleted when (AFI) Jet
    Black, (AFD) Jet Black and White or (AFF) Light Neutral is ordered.

(RTN ) 17″ 5-spoke polished forged aluminum wheels
    (RVF) 17″ 5-spoke sport alloy wheels with black inserts
    (color inserts available as LPO accessory in Silver Ice,
    Cyber Gray and Viridian Joule) (late availability )

James

Aug 30th, 2011 (12:07 pm)

The passive entry is a definate plus – and the button on all four doors could be an improvement convenience-wise over cars like mine. My Prius only has a little rubber button you depress to lock all four doors and rear hatch. What I dislike about the Prius system is the complex procedure to reallocate which doors lock/unlock. For safety, you can program them to open only the driver’s door, or any combination of f/r doors – problem is there’s pages of combinations of presses of buttons and holding them, etc. – so confusing, and then in my car they change, perhaps due to wife or kids fiddling and so at times one rear door will not open when the passive entry enacts, and at times they all do…etc.. What I do like about Prius is that as long as the key fob is in my pocket I can open the door by just placing my hand on the door handle or grabbing the rear hatch – I don’t have to do the extra one or two button pushing procedure in the ’12 Volt (no big deal). One strange observation about my passive entry system is when I walk by the Prius, the interior lights come on! It’s no biggie, but kind of odd, like the car is alive! lol. Nice for night entry, but odd when you’re in the garage at night just getting ice cream out of the fridge! Another note about passive entry: never place your keys too close to the garage entry. I believe Toyota’s owner’s manual says not to place the key fob within 13 feet of the car or 12v battery may discharge! All these new foibles with new tech – occasionally I need to move my wife’s purse if she leaves it on the wash machine which is right by the people door into the garage! Imagine that excuse for being late for work!

Ford’s new system where you just kick your foot under the rear bumper to open the rear hatch is genius. How many times have I had both hands full and wished I could just have access to the back! I hope Volts use this in the future.

Also – take a deep breath before checking the replacement cost of passive entry keyfobs!

PUMP OUT THE VOLTECS! ,

MichaelH

Aug 30th, 2011 (12:08 pm)

OT, There is a NEW update available for RemoteLink (android version). I had to look all through the app to find the new thing. It’s pretty cool.

There is a new tab at the bottom labeled “Nav.” When you select it, it brings up a google map where you can find a location and send it to your car similar to how yuou can do that from GoogleMaps on your PC. There is also a new line on the Status tab to tell you the status of sending a location to the Volt.

Lyle

Lyle

Aug 30th, 2011 (12:12 pm)

Nice work as always CorvetteGuy. Good stuff.

Aug 30th, 2011 (12:16 pm)

Shawn Marshall: Volts are cartel killers not planet savers.

Careful there, Shawn; you’re piddling all over a religion.

I have heard of this Solar-cycle/Cosmic Ray/Cloud amplification before; it’s remarkable how little attention it gets.

Here’s some background:

Aug 30th, 2011 (12:23 pm)

Thanks CorvetteGuy for a great report and photos. Very informative report. I like the improvements and hope to see it in person soon. Thanks, again.

James

Aug 30th, 2011 (12:30 pm)

Corvetteguy – Any news re: The required safety sounds? Are these built into ’12s? I remember hearing the sounds would be mandated. Fisker now has it’s patented “Tron” sound…. haven’t heard it in person, but in drive videos it sounds odd. Have seen several Leafs pull out of parking lots and didn’t notice any canned noise so far. Can’t wait for Nasaman’s test drive report.

To me, the user-operated stalk control pedestrian alert was the right solution. Any Volt owners used the pedestrian alert yet?

RECHARGE! ,

James

Aug 30th, 2011 (12:34 pm)

CorvetteGuy:
    George S. Bower,

(UP9) Chevrolet MyLink Connected Color Radio
    (LA TE AVAILABILI TY)
    An in-car infotainment package that builds on the
    safety, security and mobility features of OnStar and
    seamlessly integrates online services like Pandora®
    internet radio and Stitcher SmartRadio® using handsfree
    voice and touchscreen controls via Bluetooth
    connectivity to your mobile media device while it
    remains safely stowed. Enhanced hands-free voice
    recognition system allows simple voice commands to
    initiate phone calls and select radio stations or media
    from portable MP3 players and smartphones.
    Embedded, updateable Gracenote database shows
    artist name, genres and album cover art on the MyLink
    screen. Updateable radio software.

Thx,

What does the standard feature bluetooth (P5) do??

Aug 30th, 2011 (12:36 pm)

Lyle,
    Good to hear from you! How are you getting along? Do you like the new job? How is your Volt working out? Inquiring minds, etc …

… as always, don’t be such a stranger …

Aug 30th, 2011 (12:37 pm)

MichaelH:
    OT, There is a NEW update available for RemoteLink (android version).I had to look all through the app to find the new thing.It’s pretty cool.

There is a new tab at the bottom labeled “Nav.”When you select it, it brings up a google map where you can find a location and send it to your car similar to how yuou can do that from GoogleMaps on your PC.There is also a new line on the Status tab to tell you the status of sending a location to the Volt.

Michael,

So the remotelink is an android app. Then you somehow can display your navigation and the nav voice commands to the volt how?? Using bluetooth??

Aug 30th, 2011 (12:40 pm)

Jackson,

quote:
    … as always, don’t be such a stranger …

Jackson,

Lyle actually has a job unlike some others here!! (names withheld) wink, wink 🙂

Aug 30th, 2011 (12:44 pm)

George S. Bower:
    Jackson,

quote:
    … as always, don’t be such a stranger …

Jackson,

Lyle actually has a job unlike some others here!! (names withheld)

Quote the whole thing, Bower:

Jackson: Lyle,
    Good to hear from you!How are you getting along?Do you like the new job?How is your Volt working out?Inquiring minds, etc …

… as always, don’t be such a stranger …

Aug 30th, 2011 (12:45 pm)

Great to see that those who have had to wait for their Volt will get a few nice goodies.

Aug 30th, 2011 (12:50 pm)

Jackson: Quote the whole thing, Bower:

Jackson,
    just razin’ ya. Don’t be so sensitive.
    GSB

MichaelH

Aug 30th, 2011 (12:55 pm)

George S. Bower: Michael,

George, you might want to go to OnStar dot com and read about the eNav feature which is how we have been doing it. Basically, you go to Google Maps or Map Quest on your PC, find a location, then right click on it to get a menu where you pick send. Then you pick car, and enter OnStar information and send it. Then you get in your Volt, turn it on and use the grey OnStar button, say hands-free and ask for “Virtual Advisor.” The Virtual Advisor says “you have a destination to down load, do you want download it now?” You say yes and then wait a few seconds. Then you can pick it as a destination

The RemoteLink app is both an Android and iPhone app. I just mentioned that the Android app update is available. I don’t do iPhone so I don’t know if that update is available yet or not. In general, they both do the same things.

Aug 30th, 2011 (12:58 pm)

George S. Bower: just razin’ ya. Don’t be so sensitive.

Perhaps if you didn’t make such a habit of shooting down my posts, I wouldn’t be. Do you get points, or something?

Play nice.

Aug 30th, 2011 (1:14 pm)

James: Corvetteguy – Any news re: The required safety sounds? Are these built into ’12s?

I knew there was something I forgot… The ‘Pedestrian Chirp’ is now activated by a small button at the tip of the left turn stalk. NOT by pulling the turn stalk toward you like last year. I forgot to photograph that. The sound is the same. I have not read anything about different sounds so far… My cousin, who also bought a VOLT from me, said he had read that you could download different voices for the OnStar and voice commands. I have read nothing on that either.

Aug 30th, 2011 (1:15 pm)

MichaelH,

Thx Michael,
    I guess you guys w/ 2011 Volts have the Nav package as a standard feature. While it is an option for 2012.

Thx for clearing up how it workd I understand since I have a Droid.
    GSB

Aug 30th, 2011 (1:17 pm)

Jackson,

10/4 no offense intended.

Aug 30th, 2011 (1:19 pm)

George S. Bower: What does the standard feature bluetooth (P5) do??

The Standard Bluetooth feature is what we already know about. You can connect up to 5 devices/phones wirelessly. I have not seen a VOLT with the new MyLink Color Radio System but we do have a 2012 Equinox that has it. I will get some photos as soon as possible.

Aug 30th, 2011 (1:24 pm)

George S. Bower:
    MichaelH,

Thx Michael,
    I guess you guys w/ 2011 Volts have the Navpackage as a standard feature. While it is an option for 2012.
    Thx for clearing up how it workd I understand since I have a Droid.
    GSB

I guess it should still work if you have OnStar even if you don’t have the Nav package. In that case I think you would get turn-by-turn voice directions from OnStar. I’m not sure how it works, since the Volt is the first car I have owned with OnStar.

Aug 30th, 2011 (1:26 pm)

CorvetteGuy: On our dealership website: http://www.allnewchevyvolt.com

Thx for the pricing info!!

Aug 30th, 2011 (1:33 pm)

James: Any Volt owners used the pedestrian alert yet?

Nope. At least not to warn pedestrians. I do use it to toot “bye bye” when I leave my woman friend’s house, LOL. Does that count? #1567

Aug 30th, 2011 (1:36 pm)

MichaelH: I guess it should still work if you have OnStar even if you don’t have the Nav package.In that case I think you would get turn-by-turn voice directions from OnStar.I’m not sure how it works, since the Volt is the first car I have owned with OnStar.

Hmm, very interesting Michael. Thx.

I am tempted to just order the backup camera and custom paint. That would get the bottom line on the car to 41190 before federal rebate and taxes.

(no leather in AZ it’d too hot in the summer)

Just need to get my wife on board after the test drive in Sept.

Aug 30th, 2011 (1:37 pm)

Jackson: Lyle,

… as always, don’t be such a stranger …

Second the motion! +1

Aug 30th, 2011 (1:42 pm)

CorvetteGuy: I knew there was something I forgot… The ‘Pedestrian Chirp’ is now activated by a small button at the tip of the left turn stalk.

Does that mean that you can activate the “chirp” without flashing the headlights and, God send, vice versa? Now THAT would be progress.

Other than that, I can’t see anything I can’t get along without quite nicely. It actually makes me feel better about letting myself slip into being such an impulsive “early adopter”, LOL.

Aug 30th, 2011 (1:52 pm)

George S. Bower: Hmm, very interesting Michael. Thx.

(no leather in AZ it’d too hot in the summer)

I really like having it all in the nav package that was “standard.” I get tired of moving my portable GPS from one vehicle to another. I like the ability to download those directions. Just realized one one of the first pics above that CorvetteGuy said you will get the turn-by-turn directions on the DIC display.

I got the neutral leather seats since they are off white, not near as bad as black leather I have had in other cars. My 2011 was $44,244 with premium interior, backup/parking assist, premium white diamond tricoat, cargo barrier, and cargo net. I’m happy with what I got.

Noel Park: #46
    Other than that, I can’t see anything I can’t get along without quite nicely.It actually makes me feel better about letting myself slip into being such an impulsive “early adopter”, LOL.

The proximity door locks and the kwh use are what I would like on my 2011.

Aug 30th, 2011 (1:56 pm)

Noel Park: #36
    Nope.At least not to warn pedestrians.I do use it to toot “bye bye” when I leave my woman friend’s house, LOL.Does that count?#1567

I use it to “wave” at friends in general. Much nicer than the regular horn to just say “hi.” 😉

Aug 30th, 2011 (2:11 pm)

DonC: All nice additions. The only one I long for is the remote keyless entry. It is such a PITA to come out with your hand full and have to root around for the fob.

You could just leave your doors unlocked. The cost to replace the broken glass will most likely be more than they can steal from inside the car. And they wont get very far if they steal the car due to OnStar.

Aug 30th, 2011 (2:13 pm)

Thanks! And Thank God there’s no mandatory whoosh sound yet!

Noel Park: #36Nope. At least not to warn pedestrians. I do use it to toot “bye bye” when I leave my woman friend’s house, LOL. Does that count?

Ha ha. Oh yeah, that certainly counts! Why has this escaped car designers for so long?! Horns are brash and shocking, but a nice “chirp chirp” sound controlled by stalk or button can be so handy when we see pretty girls! LOL . I also hear the Volt is a mega chick magnet!

MichaelH: I use it to “wave” at friends in general. Much nicer than the regular horn to just say “hi.”

Exactly. Cars should have a friendly sound option. Honking a horn is brash and some car’s horns are plain dastardly. But it’s a warning sound. A nice “chirp” on the other hand suits all those times when you want to wave “bye” yet not wake up all the neighbors, or signal someone on the road without making them jump out of their socks. Chirp other hybrids or EVs and they’ll either nod with pleasure as another of like mind, or ooze jealousy that you’ve got a Volt and they don’t! 🙂

RECHARGE! ,

At_Liberty

At_Liberty

Aug 30th, 2011 (2:15 pm)

CorvetteGuy,

I think the third wheel design is Ampera.
    One of the few things on Volt I like better than Opel…

Aug 30th, 2011 (2:17 pm)

George S. Bower: I am trying to figure out whether I should order the Nav package or not since I can do it on my Droid. I don’t need XM either since I already have a portable XM radio that I can use w/ a car kit. This one portable XM radio works in all my vehicles and also inside the house w/ a home adapter kit.
    (no leather in AZ it’d too hot in the summer)

As much of a geek as I am, I don’t plan on ordering the Nav system or rear camera. I just dont see a use for either. Onstar will give you voice turn by turn. I have other means of directions as well. These are expensive options in my mind, for what you get. I will use the free XM until it runs out, then just use my Ipod. I don’t like most of the XM stations anyway. I plan to get leather, easy to clean, keeps your but warm in the winter w/the heated seats.

Aug 30th, 2011 (2:24 pm)

CorvetteGuy:
    These are the main options:

Key Available Equipment

(UFV) Audio System with Navigation
    AM/FM stereo with DVD-ROM and MP3 playback
    capability, includes voice recognition, RDS and
    timeshift function. Requires (UQA) Bose premium
    speaker system, includes audio data storage
    hard drive, NavTraffic and Local Forecast.

(UP9) Chevrolet MyLink Connected Color Radio
    (LATE AVAILABILI TY)
    An in-car infotainment package that builds on the
    safety, security and mobility features of OnStar and
    seamlessly integrates online services like Pandora®
    internet radio and Stitcher SmartRadio® using handsfree
    voice and touchscreen controls via Bluetooth
    connectivity to your mobile media device while it
    remains safely stowed. Enhanced hands-free voice
    recognition system allows simple voice commands to
    initiate phone calls and select radio stations or media
    from portable MP3 players and smartphones.
    Embedded, updateable Gracenote database shows
    artist name, genres and album cover art on the MyLink
    screen. Updateable radio software.

(PCW) Rear Camera and Park Assist Package
    Includes:
    (UVC) Rear Camera System
    (UD5) Front and Rear Parking Assist

(PCQ) Premium Trim Package1
    Includes:
    (EAL) Perforated leather-appointed seat trim
    (N30) Leather-wrapped steering wheel
    (KA1) Heated driver and front-passenger seats

(FIF) Premium door trim
    1 Requires, perforated leather-appointed seat trim, (AFC) Jet Black and Green,
    (AFD) Jet Black and White, (AFG) Jet Black and Spice Red, (AFI) Jet Black
    or (AFF) Light Neutral. (FIF) Premium door trim is deleted when (AFI) Jet
    Black, (AFD) Jet Black and White or (AFF) Light Neutral is ordered.

(RTN ) 17″ 5-spoke polished forged aluminum wheels
    (RVF) 17″ 5-spoke sport alloy wheels with black inserts
    (color inserts available as LPO accessory in Silver Ice,
    Cyber Gray and Viridian Joule) (late availability )

Aug 30th, 2011 (2:26 pm)

MichaelH: I don’t do iPhone so I don’t know if that update is available yet or not.

RemoteLink navigation entry is supported on the 2011 Volt!

The update to OnStar RemoteLink is available for iPhone. I just used the new version with the 2011 Volt and the NAV feature works great. Choose an address from your “Address Book” after pressing the blue address book icon or enter some text to view a map with the search results. When your choice is selected it can send the destination to the in-dash navigation. No calls to OnStar needed. To avoid a wait, press the “Send to In-Dash Nav” button on the iPhone while the Volt is powered up. There is a confirmation on the iPhone that the destination has been sent. The previous destinations are stored in the OnStar RemoteLink app to speed the process of choosing the same destination.

Be sure to press the microphone button on the upper right of the map to “Say the location.” Voice recognition is provided on the iPhone to add a hands free feature. Using the OnStar RemoteLink Navigation feature should allow the choice of a destination while the Volt is in motion.

Aug 30th, 2011 (2:38 pm)

CorvetteGuy:
    George S. Bower,

(UP9) Chevrolet MyLink Connected Color Radio
    (LA TE AVAILABILI TY)
    An in-car infotainment package that builds on the
    safety, security and mobility features of OnStar and
    seamlessly integrates online services like Pandora®
    internet radio and Stitcher SmartRadio® using handsfree
    voice and touchscreen controls via Bluetooth
    connectivity to your mobile media device while it
    remains safely stowed. Enhanced hands-free voice
    recognition system allows simple voice commands to
    initiate phone calls and select radio stations or media
    from portable MP3 players and smartphones.
    Embedded, updateable Gracenote database shows
    artist name, genres and album cover art on the MyLink
    screen. Updateable radio software.

Aug 30th, 2011 (2:52 pm)

kdawg: As much of a geek as I am, I don’t plan on ordering the Nav system or rear camera.I just dont see a use for either.Onstar will give you voice turn by turn.I have other means of directions as well.These are expensive options in my mind, for what you get.I will use the free XM until it runs out, then just use my Ipod.I don’t like most of the XM stations anyway.I plan to get leather, easy to clean, keeps your but warm in the winter w/the heated seats.

montgoss

montgoss

Aug 30th, 2011 (2:55 pm)

I’ve used it several times. I was creeping up on a mother and a few kids wandering through a parking lot the other day. They apparently didn’t know I was behind them until I used the alert. I also alerted some geese to my presence with the pedestrian alert. 😉

George S. Bower: anybody w/ a Volt want to answer on whether the back up camera is a “must have” feature.

I definitely thought it was a must have. But that’s one of the few things I’ve been disappointed with on the Volt. On the 2011, the backup camera is slow (~5 seconds to turn on when put into reverse) and very dark. It’s almost black and white. I actually thought it WAS black and white until there was a red car behind me and I could actually see some red. The guidelines and range alerts are kinda cool (which is probably why it takes so long to turn on), but I’d rather have a better picture than those features…

Aug 30th, 2011 (3:28 pm)

George S. Bower: Noel, Michael< DonC or anybody w/ a Volt want to answer on whether the back up camera is a "must have" feature.

I think it’s worth it. Note that it includes the camera AND proximity sensors. When I picked up my Volt and started top back it up for the first time, someone started to walk behind me at the dealership. The sensor immediately caused the warning beeps to start and I didn’t run over the pedestrian! 🙂 You decide.

Remember, there weren’t many options for the 2011 Volts. The only one I didn’t get were the polished wheels! The painted wheels look just fine, kind of metallic silver in sunlight.

Aug 30th, 2011 (3:30 pm)

George S. Bower: I have the rear camera in the Prius and I like but I also turn around and look so not sure the camera is worth the 695$ either. I guess it depends on how well you can see out back in the Volt. My guess is “not very well” but I don’t know.

I turn my head too. I don’t trust the limited view of the camera. Plus the reverse/mirror angle throws me off. I’d rather GM just use the money for the camera for collision detection sensors with automatic braking (to be used in fwd and rev).

Aug 30th, 2011 (3:34 pm)

no comment: pick up wav files

Wav is a Microsoft/IBM file format. Almost everyone uses the more universal MP3 format. Even Microsoft’s rip tool (in Windows Media Player) can be configured to rip to MP3 automatically.

While MP3 is a ‘lossy’ format as it does compression, personally I can’t tell the difference in any quality debate. I generally use 192Kbps with no noticeable quality loss (at least in a moving car). MP3s are way smaller because of the compression, so, more fit in the same space.

Most people can’t tell the difference between a CD and an MP3. With my old ears, I sure as heck can’t. 🙂

Convert all the .wav to .mp3. Problem solved.

Aug 30th, 2011 (3:58 pm)

no comment: the ordering guide that you posted states that topaz blue metallic is “late availability”. has gm given a date for when this color will be available? do you know of any photos that show an actual vehicle in the blue color?

I have heard that the Blue may not come out till January. No reason given. We have a Topaz Blue Cruze in stock. It sure looks like the “JOLT Blue” from the Transformers Movie.

Aug 30th, 2011 (4:07 pm)

montgoss,

kdawg,

Thx for the input, the 5 second wait does seem excessive. Not sure on this option.

Also re: polished wheels. I hear lots of guys complain about them. and I have heard lots of guys say they are happy w/ the painted as std equipt so I probably would get just std painted.

I lean toward red also but have not seen all the colors in person which I guess I must do in order to decide. Chapman, Tempe will have their demo in sept!!

Aug 30th, 2011 (4:32 pm)

since we were talking about the Nav system, this was just announced by the other site:
    ————

Thanks to a new upcoming feature from the OnStar RemoteLink mobile app, you’ll be able to pull out your smartphone, type or say a destination, and then have directions sent from your phone to your vehicle (like the Chevrolet Volt).

OnStar is announcing a navigation enhancement to its RemoteLink mobile app that allows a subscriber the ability to search for a destination on his smartphone and send it directly to his vehicle where the route can be accessed audibly through OnStar Turn-by-Turn or via an in-dash navigation system.

Aug 30th, 2011 (4:36 pm)

no comment: one feature that would be nice (which does not exist in the volt to my knowledge) would be the ability to play wav files. it seems like a bit of a waste to install a premium audio system in the volt, yet only be able to play mp3 files. as i understand it, if you insert a flash memory device in the usb port, the audio player would only be able to pick up mp3 files stored on the memory device, but it would not be able to pick up wav files.

Really!? I haven’t messed with those since the early 90’s. Why are you using wav files? You will not be able to get too may songs in wav format onto a USB device.

Aug 30th, 2011 (4:44 pm)

MichaelH: I think it’s worth it. Note that it includes the camera AND proximity sensors.

I actually ordered it because I wanted the proximity sensors and they are packaged together. My depth perception isn’t all that great when it comes to parallel parking and I either make more passes than I need to or, once in a great while, get it wrong and bump one of the adjacent cars. They work very well for this. I would have ordered the sensors even without the camera.

I could get along fine without the camera, but one more tool in the box when backing up can’t hurt IMHO. All it takes is one minor backing up incident in the life of the car to cost way more than the package.

Aug 30th, 2011 (4:48 pm)

George S. Bower: and I have heard lots of guys say they are happy w/ the painted as std equipt so I probably would get just std painted.

Mine are painted and I like them better than the polished. A matter of taste, I guess.

Aug 30th, 2011 (4:52 pm)

kdawg: Really!? I haven’t messed with those since the early 90′s. Why are you using wav files? You will not be able to get too may songs in wav format onto a USB device.

Get iTunes for your PC or MAC. Import all of your .wav files into iTunes. Then, if you are not going to use an iPod or iPhone to store them all, you can then burn your playlists to CD in MP3 format right from within iTunes. Using an iPhone or iTouch lets you connect to the VOLT stereo with or without a wire. Bluetooth is a wonderful thing…

Aug 30th, 2011 (4:52 pm)

kdawg:
    ————

kdawg,
    I get the impression that you can do this w/o the Nav option.

Please read #32, #44, #47, #50

Aug 30th, 2011 (5:15 pm)

MichaelH: The new thing is that you can use the app to replace the part I described about the PC. You can bring up the Nav app within the RemoteLink, find a destination, and send it from the phone. Then you would get in the Volt, get the Virtual Advisor, and have it downloaded. Keep in mind that both methods are using the internet to get to OnStar and OnStar to get it to the Volt.

Actually, I didn’t explain this part of the process for the new app correctly. When you send the destination to the Volt, it automatically downloads to the Nav system if the Volt is turned on. If the Volt is turned off, it downloads automatically in a minute or so after the next time you start driving.

The one thing that doesn’t appear to be on the Android app that is part of the PC based googlemaps process is a name tag that would appear as the destination name. I sent a particular church location in Albuquerque, NM. After the down load the name was merely referenced as “Albuquerque.”

Aug 30th, 2011 (5:22 pm)

George S. Bower: I get the impression that you can do this w/o the Nav option.

BTW, you can do the same thing by calling OnStar in route and telling them you want directions to somewhere. It’s part of “directions and connections” plan, which is also required for any of the above to work.

Aug 30th, 2011 (5:27 pm)

MichaelH: That’s what I thought earlier.Now I’m not so sure.See comment 78.I don’t know how it would work without the Nav system, but I still think it would give turn-by turn directions based on what kdawg says OnStar says.I just don’t know exactly how.

BTW, you can do the same thing by calling OnStar in route and telling them you want directions to somewhere.It’s part of “directions and connections” plan,which is also required for any of the above to work.

Is the “direction and connections” plan part of the free 3 year onstar??

Aug 30th, 2011 (5:33 pm)

George S. Bower: Is the “direction and connections” plan part of the free 3 year onstar??

That would be the plan. 🙂 (Us poor early adopters got five years for our inconvenience.)

Aug 30th, 2011 (5:50 pm)

George S. Bower,

Please accept my apology. I was being too sensitive.

I chalk it up to post-1701a-traumatic-stress-syndrome 😉 (he makes outrageous posts that start negative and go positive as he calls in his buddies at Priuschat to vote him up; how else does someone like Eric LG, who hasn’t shown up in months, know when to join the fray?).

Perhaps the fact that I’ve been unemployed for nearly two years has a teensy weensy bit to do with it too (and no, I’ve been on unemployment assistance for less than half that time — I made too much doing contract work and was disqualified).

Most of the money I intended for a Volt purchase has been spent; I’ll be very lucky if I can pick up a Gen III. 🙁

No excuses though, and sorry for the loud yelp.

Aug 30th, 2011 (6:19 pm)

Jackson,

Jackson,
    I’m the one that should appologize. I just got the impression you were retired (sort of like me and (I think DonC). So the job jab was not funny. I do that alot. My apologies to you and everyone else I have offended here over the years. Thx for putting up w/ me.
    GSB

Voltcrazee

Voltcrazee

Aug 30th, 2011 (6:45 pm)

The movie clip which describes the 2012 Volt’s new “Home” button and associated menus can be viewed here.

It is notable that the movie clip depicts a car without Nav and the HDD.

The photo of the center stack of a 2012 posted by Corvetteguy apparently is of a car with the Nav and HDD. This stack does not have the “Home” button, so one can only assume that the non Nav non HDD 2012 Volt is the only version that will greatly benefit from the new “Home” top level screen.

Aug 30th, 2011 (7:22 pm)

I’m glad to see at least one dealer ordering a spec Volt to put on the showroom floor for immediate sale. This is one time I hope the rest of the country follows California’s lead in something.

Aug 30th, 2011 (8:01 pm)

kdawg: Really!? I haven’t messed with those since the early 90′s.Why are you using wav files?You will not be able to get too may songs in wav format onto a USB device.

the mp3 format is around 5 to 1 compression when compared to the lossless wav format. so you can store more audio files on a given medium as you stated. however, you pay for it in reduced audio quality. an mp3 file will have a noticeably compressed soundstage when compared to a lossless file. you’re probably not going to notice the difference on an ipod, but you would in a good audio system (subject to the limitations of a given individual’s hearing abilities). that was my point; it is a waste to put a premium audio system in the volt, because you won’t get the most out of the system if all a person is going to do is listen to mp3’s (but i suspect that mp3’s played on the volt audio system will sound better than they would on an ipod).

fortunately, the volt audio system does also play red book cd’s, so the premium audio system is not a total waste.

john1701a

john1701a

Aug 30th, 2011 (8:27 pm)

Jackson:
    I chalk it up to post-1701a-traumatic-stress-syndrome (he makes outrageous posts that start negative and go positive as he calls in his buddies at Priuschat to vote him up; how else does someone like Eric LG, who hasn’t shown up in months, know when to join the fray?).

Do you really believe that? Why wouldn’t such a well known blog be routinely checked by anyone else but me?

As for outrageous posts, not liking facts posted won’t make them go away. New hybrid offerings, like a Prius offering even higher MPG targeted for prices in the low 20’s, is what will drawn consumer attention. The same goes for popular traditional vehicles like Cruze. Voting that information down doesn’t accomplish anything.

Kevin R

Kevin R

Aug 30th, 2011 (8:47 pm)

I’ve got a red 2011 Volt and absolutely love it (you’re not supposed to love anything that can’t love you back)…but I do.

It has some design drawbacks but these are things I hope they improve for Volt 2.0. I am saving to buy that one outright when my lease expires on the 2011.

1) Not sure if others are with me on this but I would eliminate the shift lever altogether. It’s an electronic car so give me push buttons like the ‘drive mode’ button ala Dodge 1964.
    2) If the shift lever were eliminated then the cup holders could be moved forward. It is so damn awkward to have to shift your body to the side, put your elbow behind your back simply to reach your cup. The cup holders are too far back.
    3) Once the cup holders move forward then GM can extend the length of the center cushion arm rest. I barely get to rest my elbow on it without slipping off. Again, it is too far back.
    4) I loaded suitcases into the back and drove to Cape Cod. Once I got there and removed the suit cases the center console between the back seats was pretty much marred and ruined by the wheels of the suitcases. The plastic used is very easily scratched and ruined. A flap of some kind in conjunction with the seats being laid flat could be designed to cover the console when using the rear as a cargo area. Or, use different plastic material that is not so easily ruined.
    5) A radio OFF switch. I hate having to mute or dial down the volume on the radio in order to keep the center stack running. Every time you start the car up again the radio volume comes back on. This seems like a simple thing to add.
    6) The navigation system should respond to touch much smoother than it does. Dragging the screen image is a tedious nightmare especially for those of us used to the fluid nature of touch screens on iphones and androids.

Aug 30th, 2011 (9:26 pm)

George S. Bower: kdawg,
    I get the impression that you can do this w/o the Nav option.
    Please read #32, #44, #47, #50

Ah, I didn’t see the part where Michael H mentioned the smartphone app.

Aug 30th, 2011 (9:30 pm)

MichaelH: That’s what I thought earlier. Now I’m not so sure. See comment 78. I don’t know how it would work without the Nav system, but I still think it would give turn-by turn directions based on what kdawg says OnStar says. I just don’t know exactly how.

Aug 30th, 2011 (9:40 pm)

no comment: he mp3 format is around 5 to 1 compression when compared to the lossless wav format. so you can store more audio files on a given medium as you stated. however, you pay for it in reduced audio quality. an mp3 file will have a noticeably compressed soundstage when compared to a lossless file. you’re probably not going to notice the difference on an ipod, but you would in a good audio system (subject to the limitations of a given individual’s hearing abilities). that was my point; it is a waste to put a premium audio system in the volt, because you won’t get the most out of the system if all a person is going to do is listen to mp3′s (but i suspect that mp3′s played on the volt audio system will sound better than they would on an ipod).

I guess it depends on the kbps you compress it to, but a lot of the compression is just removing repeated data, or inaudible stuff. In our cars, most of us are used to listening to radio quality (low), CD quality (same as MP3 ~192Kbps), or XM (which I think is only 32Kbps). Maybe you could try encoding your MP3’s at even higher rates, like 256Kpbs.

Aug 30th, 2011 (9:44 pm)

kdawg: Seems like it would work because the only thing OnStar operator does is download the directions to your car, and the automated voice tells you when to turn. Some GM cars even put little graphics on their radio (not a full blown nav system).

That’s what I’m thinking the small display on the DIC display will do. (Third picture in the main article.)

Aug 30th, 2011 (9:50 pm)

OT, but wasn’t the Mitsubishi Imiev suppose to go on sale here in the US before 2012. I haven’t heard anything about the jellybean car lately. I wonder if Ford will beat them to the market w/the Focus.

no comment

Aug 30th, 2011 (10:17 pm)

kdawg: I guess it depends on the kbps you compress it to, but a lot of the compression is just removing repeated data, or inaudible stuff.In our cars, most of us are used to listening to radio quality (low), CD quality (same as MP3 ~192Kbps), or XM (which I think is only 32Kbps). Maybe you could try encoding your MP3′s at even higher rates, like 256Kpbs.

Aug 30th, 2011 (10:27 pm)

no comment,

I think Snoop Dog will sound the same to 99.9% of all people at 192mbps, in a car, w/wind noise, tire noise, and the Harley exhaust in front of you.

no comment

Aug 30th, 2011 (10:34 pm)

kdawg:

what you are effectively stating is that you think that it is a waste to put a premium audio system in a car. if that is what you think, then i actually tend to agree with you; i have never bought a premium audio system as an option in a car because i tend to think that a car is a suboptimal environment for audio listening. so i am considerably less critical when listening to audio in my car than when i am listening at home.

Aug 30th, 2011 (10:46 pm)

no comment: what you are effectively stating is that you think that it is a waste to put a premium audio system in a car.

i’m saying its not that big of a deal that the USB doesn’t play WAV files, because you’ll never know the difference, even if the stereo is top of the line. Hopefully the Volt’s stereo has enough watts to overcome any road noise. I don’t know the frequency response of the speakers but I’d assume they dont sound like they are stuck in the mid-range. My definition of premium may be different than yours, but I can tell the difference between a cheap stereo and a premium one, even w/the road noise.

volt11

volt11

Aug 30th, 2011 (11:43 pm)

However, it can play .wma files recorded in lossless WMA format, just as hi-fi as .wav. I find the Volt’s built-in ripping format is noticeably worse sounding than the original, so I basically don’t use that. All my music is on a 64GB flash drive plugged in to the center console slot. Format I use is at least 192Kb/s MP3, which is close enough to indistinguishable from a CD for me that I don’t bother with lossless WMA, which would use about 3 times the space.

volt11

volt11

Aug 31st, 2011 (12:05 am)

kdawg: I guess it depends on the kbps you compress it to, but a lot of the compression is just removing repeated data, or inaudible stuff. In our cars, most of us are used to listening to radio quality (low), CD quality (same as MP3 ~192Kbps), or XM (which I think is only 32Kbps). Maybe you could try encoding your MP3′s at even higher rates, like 256Kpbs.

Audio compression is a real art, based on mathematics and psychoacoustics, and compression algorithms do vary even with a given format (e.g. MP3) and bitrate. The format defines the standard for playback only, but the choice of what to leave in and what to leave out of each musical frame is up to the encoder designer. I tried several encoders, and still find that the one built in to Windows Media Player sounds as good or better than any at typical bitrates. I’m sure there are people who would disagree.

As for XM, I think most of their music channels use 64Kb/s, but the format is proprietary and I think is closely related to WMA. Sirius and XM use 2 different formats, but the resulting sound quality tends to be very similar. I think a couple of XM’s channels use 96Kb/s, like the Classical Pops channel, but it’s been a while since I looked into this so ICBW. To me this is the real shame of XM, in that they chose quantity of channels over quality of sound. I imagine it makes business sense, but we could have had real CD quality sound over satellite and instead we get sound that in some ways is worse than FM. It would have been nice if GM would get on the HD Radio bandwagon (which is a free digital simulcast from many AM and FM stations), but I wouldn’t be surprised if XM is paying them not to include it in their car stereos so they can sell more XM subscriptions.

CorvettGuy'sWife

CorvettGuy'sWife

Aug 31st, 2011 (1:26 am)

I don’t lnow about the audio quality in the Volt (CorvetteGuy has taken me out for drives in them, but I was too fascinated with the gizmos to pay attention to the tunes), but I will say that to me a premium audio system makes a hugh difference. I used to drive an Altima with a kicking steroe/speakers. Now I drive a Subaru (CorvetteGuy’s dealership does Subaru’s, too, and I’m a good wife), and while many features are superior to the Altima, the stereo system is dreadful compared to it – though it’s in line with the usual garden-variety car audio systems. I would opt for the premium system every time. Especially for my 80+ mile daily commute.
    kdawg,

Aug 31st, 2011 (1:31 am)

no comment: the data rate for uncompressed audio is around 1.4Mbps. you do the compare: 1.4Mbps versus 192Kbps. what happens with mp3 is that the compressed file is uncompressed at playback time to give you an *approximation* of the original uncompressed file. but as an approximation, it is not a faithful reproduction. at 1.4Mbps, the upper end of the frequency spectrum in uncompressed audio is less than 20KHz, so what constitutes “inaudible stuff” is a function of how good your own hearing is and how good your audio equipment is. if you have good hearing and good equipment, the difference between 1.4Mbps audio and 192Kbps audio will be readily apparent.

The point is that normal humans can’t tell the difference between a 192kbps MP3 and a source CD. All the numbers quoted are irrelevant.

Aug 31st, 2011 (3:04 am)

8 mi on the odo and 250 mpg – GM must feel confident doing far less QC testing at D’Ham for the 2012’s. Anyone have an idea what their test schedule’s look like for the production vehicles…WOT?

Aug 31st, 2011 (5:40 am)

kdawg: Has anyone used a USB thumb drive w/music on it?

I have an $8 4GB thumb drive connected all the time. Works perfectly for music files. My front seat console 120v outlet has a $20 Radio Shack 120V 3 prong converter plugged into it. My son has plugged his laptop into this. I also charge my MyTouch phone with it. I use the rear seat center tray 120v outlet as my portable GPS charger. To be specific. I recharge my uPro golf GPS. My 1/2 hour drive to the course boosts the battery about 50%.

2011 Volt #555 is doing great. MPG hovering at 400. Oil life at 66% with well over 8000 miles on the odometer. I keep my tire pressure a little over spec. I like 37 psi all around.

No Plug, No Sale!

Storm

Storm

Aug 31st, 2011 (9:25 am)

I echo the cupholders! Biggest complaint I had. Heating system is inadequate. Perhaps the heated seats will solve that.

Only other thing the car needs is an ampmeter or wattmeter to show power flow. Really can’t drive an electric car effectively without power flow info.

Kevin R,

Aug 31st, 2011 (9:44 am)

Voltcrazee:

It is notable that the movie clip depicts a car without Nav and the HDD.

kdawg,

,Voltcrazy,

Hmmm

a rethink is req’d.

Aug 31st, 2011 (10:53 am)

CorvettGuy’sWife: Now I drive a Subaru (CorvetteGuy’s dealership does Subaru’s, too, and I’m a good wife), and while many features are superior to the Altima, the stereo system is dreadful compared to it

That was one of the few complaints my buddy had about his Suburu. Chinsy stereo.

Aug 31st, 2011 (11:10 am)

George S. Bower: Whoa this has big implications (maybe). So they have done like the Prius and eliminated the big screen on the non Nav Volts. Not sure if this kills my idea of NOT getting the Nav package. I kind of like the big screen I wonder if one could get the MDI to display there or what other trick things you could use it for (like displaying your smart phone screen) ???

You will get the 7″ touchscreen on any model/option Volt you buy.

Aug 31st, 2011 (12:31 pm)

kdawg: You will get the 7″ touchscreen on any model/option Volt you buy.

Kdawg,

what is the home button. Isn’t it like a HUD w/ critical parameters on it that normally are on the Big Screen?? I don’t understand.

stephent

stephent

Aug 31st, 2011 (5:35 pm)

George S. Bower:

The Volts with the std radio, no nav, now have a “home” button on the touchscreen, and a touch button with a home icon on the center console. This brings you to a top menu “home screen” which has big square icons for each major function, like “now playing”, phone, climate, each source like FM/XM/CD/USB. There are two pages with up to 8 icons each, you can pick which ones to hide or show.

See http://www.chevroletvoltage.com/index.php/videos.html?task=videodirectlink&id=277

Aug 31st, 2011 (9:43 pm)

kdawg: You will get the 7″ touchscreen on any model/option Volt you buy.

OK kdawg, that’s good. I guess we get the big display as STD.
    Thx GSB

The Prius does not.

Sep 1st, 2011 (1:59 am)

George S. Bower:

Hmmm

a rethink is req’d.

on the volt, the center stack display is needed for more than just NAV: you need it to set up charging, to display power flows, to display energy information, to set up the climate control, to set up various configurable options, &c.

if you’re really interested you might do well to go to the chevrolet volt website and download the owner’s manual if you haven’t done so already.

Sep 1st, 2011 (2:10 am)

Jackson:

for all you know “1701a” and “eric lg” could be the same person. while the system supposedly only allows a person to cast a single “vote” on postings, that feature is easy to defeat. one of the drawbacks to the voting stuff is that it tends to degenerate into flame wars where a person can repeatedly up/down vote posts. for my own part, i’ve got better things to do, but the flame wars can tend to drive off people who are interested in more substantive discussions and don’t care to waste time on nonsense.

but to the extent that postings from certain individuals cause you “trauma” then the obvious thing to do is to not read postings identified under the offending handles. that’s what i do at least; i look at the handle, and based on previous comments, i make an assessment of whether it is likely that the poster has anything worth reading. if not, i move on to the next posting.

john1701a

john1701a

Sep 1st, 2011 (10:56 am)

no comment: for all you know “1701a” and “eric lg” could be the same person. while the system supposedly only allows a person to cast a single “vote” on postings, that feature is easy to defeat…

Downvoting doesn’t solve the issue. And do you really believe only one person would respond. Why wouldn’t others be concerned about Volt not reaching middle-market as intended?

Remember, the purpose is to replace production of traditional mainstream vehicles.

Voltoronto

Voltoronto

Sep 1st, 2011 (8:18 pm)

Kevin R:
    2) If the shift lever were eliminated then the cup holders could be moved forward.It is so damn awkward to have to shift your body to the side, put your elbow behind your back simply to reach your cup.The cup holders are too far back.

I have the same cup holder issue with my wife’s Infinity. Try using your left had to reach over for the cup. I find it easier that way. Hope to find out in a few weeks if that method will work in the Volt.