Jul 20

Chevrolet Volt production resumes at Detroit-Hamtramck assembly plant

Earlier this week, General Motors quietly restarted production of the Volt and its sister the Ampera at its Detroit-Hamtramck assembly plant.

The company did not issue a press release, and we only found out by direct inquiry to GM late Monday evening.

GM’s reason for not splashing the news is because its people felt they were merely sticking to their plan as published all along.

Now open for business.

“The plant was closed for four weeks,” said GM Spokesperson Michelle Bunker. “On May 25th GM announced a $69 million investment in tooling and equipment to support the next-generation Impala. In April 2010, GM announced a $121 million investment to support Malibu production.

Fair enough.

The news

“As the plant validates the new equipment and tooling and begins exclusively building new model year 2012 Chevrolet Volts and launches the 2012 Opel Ampera,” Bunker said, “the plant will follow their launch protocol, holding cars for quality testing before being shipped to our dealers in the U.S. and around the world.”

The 2012 Volts are now U.S. as well as Euro models, and we asked specifically: Is the Vauxhall and Opel Ampera and Euro Chevy Volt (right and left side drive) also being built yet?

“Yes. The left hand side drive for the Opel Ampera and Euro Chevy Volt are in pre-production and will be shipped this fall,” Bunker said.

We do not have specific daily numbers, but they are certainly up, she said, answering the question How many Volts have been built this year (prior to shutdown), and how many remain to be built? as follows:

“As a result of the plant upgrades, planned Volt and Ampera production capacity this year will increase to 16,000 units, including exports and a fleet of several hundred demonstration units sent to U.S. dealers,” Bunker said. “In 2012, global production capacity is expected up to 60,000 vehicles with an estimated 45,000 to be delivered in the United States.”

A Chevy in Shanghai.

Bunker concedes there are not a lot of changes to 2012s.

Some available features will include:

• Standard keyless access with passive locking; the car automatically locks and unlocks with the key fob in close proximity of vehicle
• OnStar Turn by Turn navigation standard for three years, and available in-dash navigation system
• Chevrolet MyLink including Bluetooth streaming audio for music and select phones (late availability)
• Standard AM/FM stereo with CD player and MP3 playback and 7-inch diagonal color touch-screen display
• Available 17-inch sport alloy wheels with black inserts (late availability).

As previously reported, the 2012 Volt is to be rolled out to the remaining U.S. states by year’s end. GM said it decreased the 2012′s price by $1,000, and expanded options from last year’s three option packages to seven for 2012.

The 2012 base model is to be $39,995 including an $850 destination charge. This model however lacks the Bose sound system and navigation that came standard on the $41,000 2011.

As production is not scheduled to significantly increase until next year, Dham is still making do with the same number of employees, but GM is looking to add a second shift by the end of the year, Bunker said.

For those who say the 2011 Volt has not sold well, this was simply not true. It has always been a limited availability car until now, and still is not high volume.

“As of today there were less than hundred 2011′s left and we suspect most of those are sold as well,” Bunker said yesterday. “It’s highly probable that all of the 2011′s will be sold out before 2012 models arrive. Just yesterday we announced that North and South Carolina are open for delivery and are on track for our roll-out for the rest of the year.”

Production at the Dham plant of the all-new 2013 Chevrolet Malibu will begin next year. The 2013 Malibu launch will be led by the Eco model, expected to achieve 38 miles per gallon on the highway.

Your questions answered

Remember way back over a month ago when GM offered to field questions from GM-Volt readers? Did you think we forgot about it? We did not, but it took this long to chase down the answers. Michelle Bunker was kind enough to answer the following:

Q: Has the 2012 lease price been settled? If not, can you say whether it will it be more or less?

GM: The lease price hasn’t been released yet. Should be sooner rather than later that we’ll be able to release the info.

Not just any police car.

GM: Will see if I can get engineering to comment. (Still waiting on this one)

Q: Will GM make a small truck or MPV5 version (or SS!)?

GM: We are looking at different applications of Voltec technology. Don’t have anything to announce at this time. Appreciate all of your suggestions, ideas.

Q: Anything in the works for Volt power upgrades/options?

GM: Not at this time, we don’t have anything to announce.

Q: Some people have expressed interest in a 20AER or 60AER option (battery options). Any movement in this area?

GM: Need to refer this to engineering as it’s outside of my arena. (Still waiting for answer)

Q: What about Volt EV (pure EV) that was hinted at by Chelsea. Will Chevrolet have a direct competitor for LEAF and Focus EVs?

GM: No comment except to say that we are watching the market to see how receptive they are to EV’s.

Q: CNG or E85 options for the ICE? I thought E85 was in the works for 2012?

GM: Have to check on this with engineering as I haven’t heard of any other options for the vehicle. (Still waiting)

Q: Will there be a sunroof option?

GM: Not an option for 2012.

More to follow

Didn’t see your question answered? We were limited on what we could forward, and some questions GM chose not to answer, but do not fret. We will keep at it, and in the mean time I have it on better authority (this time) that more Q&A could be set up sooner with someone at GM who is a direct source. Specifically, I am arranging an interview with GM’s Pamela Fletcher some time next week.

“Pamela Fletcher is the Global Chief Engineer for Volt and Plug-In Hybrid Electric Powertrains, says her GM biography page. “She is responsible for the Extended Range Electric Vehicle propulsion system in the Chevrolet Volt as well as the propulsion systems in GM’s upcoming line-up of Plug-In Hybrid Electric Vehicles.”

This entry was posted on Wednesday, July 20th, 2011 at 5:55 am and is filed under General. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

Jul 20th, 2011 (6:34 am)

From post:
    GM said it decreased the 2012′s price by $1,000

Jul 20th, 2011 (6:57 am)

Kudos for breaking this story first, Jeff! We at gm-volt.com are the benefactors of your pro-active journalistic drive and skill! Regarding your planned interview of Voltec engineering’s Pam Fletcher, I’d like to expand/revise the 2nd Q (& A) you list above, i.e…

“Q: RE: Electric drive unit (149 hp). I’d like to see a higher output drive. (Question: Care to comment?) GM: Will see if I can get engineering to comment. (Still waiting on this one)”

Suggested Revision: “There is wide interest in a version of the Volt’s EDU having enough increase in momentary output torque/horsepower to achieve 0-60 mph times of ~6 sec (i.e., an “SS” version). Q: Is this technically feasible? If not, why not?

Gsned57

Gsned57

Jul 20th, 2011 (7:38 am)

“Didn’t see your question answered? We were limited on what we could forward, and some questions GM chose not to answer”

HAHA, they answered the questions??? The only question that was actually answered was the sunroof question. Everything else is no comment at this time or need to bother the engineers about it. They probably shouldn’t have responded until they talked to engineering. Oh well, I know the price, I know I can get a test drive in PA shortly, and I know the terrorists and dictators hate this car. Don’t worry about the other questions GM

Jul 20th, 2011 (7:43 am)

Wednesday July 20, 2011, 6:25 am EDT

SINGAPORE (AP) — Oil prices rose to above $98 a barrel Wednesday in Asia after a report showed U.S. crude supplies dropped more than expected, a sign that demand may be improving.

Benchmark oil for August delivery was up 99 cents to $98.49 a barrel at late afternoon Singapore time in electronic trading on the New York Mercantile Exchange. Crude rose $1.57 to settle at $97.50 on Tuesday.

No Plug, No Sale

Jul 20th, 2011 (7:54 am)

“Do you have any questions for Pam? If they are concerning future tech likely to be in the realm of sensitive intellectual property, and you know GM will never tell you, you might not want to bother asking. But, if you have some reasonable tech or otherwise questions or even semi-prying inquiries in the event you are feeling lucky, and are pretty sure GM can tell without giving away the store, please feel free to let me know.”

===========================================

The last paragraph makes it kind of hard to ask anything!

What we will want to know WILL be about future tech, new models, or upgrades to existing units.

But here is my try at it:

When can we expect to see an exact listing of the specs of the MyLink system, and also when will pricing and availability be announced? “Late Availability” is kind of vague. If it is only going to be a month or two, I will wait as my car will probably not be delivered to my dealer in Youngstown, Ohio until the fourth quarter anyway. But if it is not going to be released until after the first of 2012, I will change my order to the existing BOSE unit with navigation.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Jul 20th, 2011 (7:59 am)

Check out the lower painted panels on the police car. The side has an amazing difference with the stripe and changes to the paint color on the doors. I wonder when these improvements may appear on the production model?

Shock Me

Shock Me

Jul 20th, 2011 (8:00 am)

“Volts now rolling off the line are coming at three times the previous rate that they were when the plant was closed.”

So how many were Volts were rolling off the line when the plant was closed? How many Volts spilled out when they opened the doors? Will those workers on the Volt line now get to go home at night? If the Volt line was down to zero does that mean we are making 3×0, 30, 300, or 3000?

I think you meant to say: “Volts now rolling off the line are coming at three times the rate they were BEFORE the plant was closed.”

No biggie it just sounded really funny when I read it the first time.

Jul 20th, 2011 (8:44 am)

EDIT: Just read Jim’s comment at #5 asking the same thing.

Tim Hart

Tim Hart

Jul 20th, 2011 (9:16 am)

Thanks Jeff for keeping us up to speed on the latest Volt news. This site keeps us better informed than all of the Volt information reps at GM. My local dealer here in small town Iowa says they will be getting their demo Volt shortly. Can’t wait for my first drive!

kickincanada

kickincanada

Jul 20th, 2011 (9:29 am)

Jeff – great piece. Thanks!

tom w

tom w

Jul 20th, 2011 (10:13 am)

Hoping for one more price reduction and reasonable leasing (so i don’t have to wait for the government rebate) so with a tradein I can afford a 2012 in Ohio sometime next year. Then My hope is my monthly lease is less than what i would have had to pay for gas per month (with day time charging).

bintoo

bintoo

Jul 20th, 2011 (10:35 am)

Attention Canada! 2 Volts for Canadian delivery have been made this week at DHAM. One Monday for an Ontario dealer and one Tuesday for a Quebec dealer.

If your a Loto 649 ticket holder…. I mean … have placed a Chevrolet Volt order… here are the 2 winning orders numbers….

The first number is…
    PQTCZP
    and the second number is…
    PQXR46

If your a lucky winner in the Chevy Volt lottery please contact your dealer….

Jul 20th, 2011 (10:39 am)

Eco_Turbo: That’s interesting, I read that one reason for cancelling the Corvair, was because the air cooled engine cost $7 more to produce than other engines., and here GM “unilaterally” gives up $1000 per on the Volt?

Slave of marketing! GM removed content from the car and made it optional. Then it increased the price. Apples to apples with the same content MY 2012 costs more than MY 2011. Slick. Now when people compare the Volt to something like the Leaf, which is now more like $38K, it looks like the cars are quite close in price. As a consumer who would add the options I’m not a huge fan of what GM did but it’s hard to blame them. If everyone is going to look at base models and not consider the content then it’s fair to take out the content and charge more.

kdawg: What does “late availability” mean? When would you have to order a 2012 Volt to get a feature that is listed as “late availability”?

Jul 20th, 2011 (10:44 am)

tom w: Then My hope is my monthly lease is less than what i would have had to pay for gas per month (with day time charging).

Tex-Arl

Tex-Arl

Jul 20th, 2011 (10:48 am)

Shock Me,

In auto makers speak, that simply means instead of every third space, they are all Volts
    now. IE tripled.

Honoreitiscom

Honoreitiscom

Jul 20th, 2011 (10:52 am)

When will they display kWh used, like they display gas used?

Jul 20th, 2011 (10:55 am)

Keep on keeping on; the Volt story continues!

Here’s my question:

If there is a “Euro Chevy Volt,” what are the odds of getting an “American Ampera?”

(Seems like if there were still a Pontiac division, it would be a shoe-in). Could an American Ampera be considered plausible as a Buick? It doesn’t seem as likely, somehow.

Jul 20th, 2011 (10:55 am)

Here’s my non-tech Yes or No question for Pamela Fletcher. Have you ever heard a GM executive voice concerns about diluting the Volts demand by releasing news about competing plug-in hybrid or Voltec vehicles?

Loose lips, sink ships. :)

NPNS!
    Volt#671

Jul 20th, 2011 (11:09 am)

DonC: Other than “not now” I don’t think there is a good firm date. Some of this may be related to all the companies still working through shortages. If I had to put a date on it my guess would be early 2012. That’s just a SWAG based on: (1) there is no word at all of when these features might appear, which you’d expect a couple of months before you could order the feature; and (2) if they wait until next summer then we’re into MY 2013. Splitting the possible dates gives early 2012.For someone looking for a Volt MY 2011 would seem a better buy a this point, assuming you could find one. Less expensive and a more collectible year with only 4000 made.

Ideally I could order one Dec 2011 or Jan 2012 and then get my $7500 tax money back right away (I usually file in January if I have all my documentation from the banks). I want the MYLINK feature and want to spec the colors, so looking for a 2011 isn’t something I’d do. My current car only has 45K miles on it, so there’s no rush (other than my impatience)

Jul 20th, 2011 (11:11 am)

DonC: For someone looking for a Volt MY 2011 would seem a better buy a this point, assuming you could find one. Less expensive and a more collectible year with only 4000 made.

================================

Except that you would also now have depreciation of the 2011 MY vehicle to consider, and I have not heard of any real sale prices on the 2011 MY cars left out on the dealer lots to make up for that loss in value.

So yes, the 2012′s cost more, but there is also the new standard keyless entry (really cool), a less expensive radio option for those that do not want the BOSE with nav, and maybe MyLink (I guess if they can get it to work in a reasonable amount of time and let us know how much it will cost…)

JMHO

Jul 20th, 2011 (11:15 am)

kdawg: Ideally I could order one Dec 2011 or Jan 2012 and then get my $7500 tax money back right away (I usually file in January if I have all my documentation from the banks).I want the MYLINK feature and want to spec the colors, so looking for a 2011 isn’t something I’d do.My current car only has 45K miles on it, so there’s no rush (other than my impatience)

I think you have to take delivery, not just order it in Dec, 2011, if you want to take the rebate on your 2011 tax return. You have to have the VIN and other paperwork to file for that rebate. At least that is what my CPA told me…..

Let me know if that is incorrect!

:-)

Dan Petit

Dan Petit

Jul 20th, 2011 (11:15 am)

We can certainly respect the implied reasoning for not being able to get future product questions answered right away. But its fun to ask anyway. Patience always pays when patience is clearly called for.

Have a *great* day everyone!!, (running late…)

Jul 20th, 2011 (11:18 am)

Speaking of Pam Fletcher, here she is talking about how the Volt works.

Jul 20th, 2011 (11:30 am)

Good report, Jeff. Too bad not many questions were answered, but who really expected them to be answered anyway. I hope GM is still reading this blog and really paying attention. They could learn a lot just spending a few hours a day here and then having a group session among their technology leaders to discuss what they read. Are you reading this, GM?

Jul 20th, 2011 (11:37 am)

kdawg: Speaking of Pam Fletcher, here she is talking about how the Volt works.

Yeah. GM needs to take that video and break it up into two or three commercials. They do an excellent job of explaining the Volt in the video and it is good quality video. Really makes sense. Much better than what I see on TV about the Volt.

Jul 20th, 2011 (12:02 pm)

Great news. I can’t wait to see how many they manufacture and sell. As production ramps up, the market is going to send us some interesting messages.

Jul 20th, 2011 (12:34 pm)

Eco_Turbo: From post: GM said it decreased the 2012′s price by $1,000

Ever hear about a guy named Ralph Nader?

Schmeltz

Schmeltz

Jul 20th, 2011 (12:46 pm)

kdawg: Speaking of Pam Fletcher, here she is talking about how the Volt works.

That is a great commercial. As N. Riley said also, this should be made into a tv commercial.

ChaivedMcNuttly

Jul 20th, 2011 (12:48 pm)

(click to show comment)

Jul 20th, 2011 (12:51 pm)

Dan Petit: “We can certainly respect the implied reasoning for not being able to get future product questions answered right away. But its fun to ask anyway…”

Another good reason to ask GM questions is that those questions might very well indicate what we at gm-volt.com consider important Volt improvements — as an indication of interest for Jeff Cobb (who’ll hopefully convey it to Ms Fletcher). So I want to encourage everyone here who agrees with my question in post #2 above regarding an SS version to give post #2 a “+1″ !

Tex-Arl

Tex-Arl

Jul 20th, 2011 (12:54 pm)

jeffhre,

Jeffhre—Thanks for a fact – not heresay. Ala “Unsafe–”. I loved the Monza.

Jul 20th, 2011 (1:01 pm)

(click to show comment)

Jul 20th, 2011 (1:07 pm)

(click to show comment)

Tall Pete

Tall Pete

Jul 20th, 2011 (1:46 pm)

“GM said it decreased the 2012′s price by $1,000″

Nice marketing scheme : you remove pricey standard features and make them optional and then pretend to have decreased the price. Hum.

The fact is that for two Volts similarly packaged, the MY 2011 is cheaper than MY2012. So the net result is a price increase, not the opposite.

On the other hand, until supply is greater than demand and while subsidies last, no real price cut should be expected. As far as I’m concerned, they could remove more features as long as they decrease the price accordingly. Not masquerade the facts.

In the case at hand, what they removed is worth more than 1000$ so they really increased the price even if marketing says otherwise.

Jul 20th, 2011 (1:48 pm)

nasaman,

Thanks nasaman. I don’t thing I broke the story first, but did learn of it Monday at 10:30 pm. I had no info to write a quick story for yesterday. Got answers yesterday and so, this is what I was able to do.

tom w

tom w

Jul 20th, 2011 (2:28 pm)

DonC: This is a viable option assuming you’re spending at least $100/week on gas now, you’re willing to buy a Volt without options, and you don’t plan to buy it at the end of the lease.

$100 gas, at average price $5 gallon 2012-2015, thats 20 gallons or 600 miles of driving
    yes thats about right drive 80 miles a day electric with a charge in the middle

At_Liberty

At_Liberty

Jul 20th, 2011 (2:47 pm)

Maybe GM could consider manufacturing some Volts or EVs for disabled or maimed combat veterans… Not just from Iraq or Afghanland but any still able to drive.
    You just can’t buy goodwill like that. And it’s not just the fact of petrodollars empowering bad powers with which we must contend…
    I can’t help but think an electric vehicle would be easier to modify for the disabled than ICE powered vehicles.

Any plans, GM?

At_Liberty

At_Liberty

Jul 20th, 2011 (2:53 pm)

I wanted to add that I believe that it would soften a lot of hard feelings about the bailouts and union abuses if GM could do this for disabled veterans not even at cost but even at a significant loss.
    It’s easy to forget how much some have sacrificed, but they can’t.

Mitch

Mitch

Jul 20th, 2011 (3:11 pm)

Jeff Cobb,

The detroit news had it yesterday, which makes sense though..it being local news…

Jul 20th, 2011 (3:16 pm)

nasaman: So I want to encourage everyone here who agrees with my question in post #2 above regarding an SS version to give post #2 a “+1″ !

I would settle for just a true Sport Mode.

Chris C.

Chris C.

Jul 20th, 2011 (3:22 pm)

Dear GM -

Will you ever be rolling out a software update to the 2011 Volts?

I have one of the first Volts, and over the past 7 months I’ve gradually become very aware of a lot of little annoying problems with the car, nearly all of which could be fixed in software. In fact, since they are fairly obvious problems if you live with the car for a month or two, I am positive that you already know about them, and likely have fixed them in the 2012 run. I won’t bother itemizing them here, I’d bore you to death!

So, can you tell us when those fixes will make it back to the 2011 run? And then make sure that your Volt Advisor team is well-versed in that information when you are ready to push those updates out? I have had a “poor customer experience” in this matter recently.

But I still love my Volt! Going out on yet another show-and-tell dinner date tonight …

- Chris, FirstVoltInGeorgia.com

[FYI, Jeff, it's "make do", not "make due" :) ]

Merlin

Merlin

Jul 20th, 2011 (3:23 pm)

Q: Will GM make a small truck or MPV5 version (or SS!)?

They had better release at least one variant for Gen II, or within a year of Gen II. Seems like the SS would be the easiest to accomplish. They should probably have several variants ready for Gen III. That’s just my opinion. I want a sporty GM version of a Mazda5 microvan with voltec. Yesterday. Gen I was so transparent. Because of that I am becoming impatient with Gen II and III not knowing what’s going on behind the wizard’s curtain. I don’t want to wait forever. I’d like to keep the NPNS mantra, but if the right version isn’t available by the time I’m ready to trade vehicles…

Sean

Sean

Jul 20th, 2011 (3:32 pm)

Hey GM how about a Volt using a pure lithium-ion battery or better using an alternative by making it cheaper but by not sacrificing the quality of the battery and better if there was a way you could increase the range in between 250-300 miles of range and by rapidly charging the battery by not causing discharging problems as in not shortening the battery’s life than maybe more people would buy the Volt for sure. But the real problem is if the Volt was priced around $20,000-25,000 dollars starting price I could see the Volt selling off the wall like crazy were everybody would want one who agrees with me that more of the majority of the population here in the US would want to buy one once sometime in the future when the price of the Volt is dramatically reduce? Note) I am not trying to be rude I am only trying to say that everybody does not agrees with a $40,000 dollar price tag sticker because not everyone can’t afford a car at a price like this just saying okay.

Sean

Sean

Jul 20th, 2011 (3:35 pm)

Also I do want to see more Plug-in hybrids and electric cars by all means and I very do much hope that we will see more cars like this in the future. No plug no sale!

pjkPA

pjkPA

Jul 20th, 2011 (6:23 pm)

Good article Jeff…

Good to hear about more production… that’s what we need in this country..more production!

What I still don’t understand is GM “investing” 2 billion dollars in Korea .. that really ticks me off while they only talk about hundreds of millions of investments in the US!

I wish you would ask them about that… and I do not like the fact that GM is NOT building their own batteries or even buying any from the American companies…. these common sense questions have to be asked … not ignored. If FORD builds a plug in with batteries made in the US that may sway me to buy a FORD instead of a GM. The executives who make these decisions have it made for life on Americans hard earned money… we have to hold them to the fire and make sure they understand it matters where they “invest” the money we spend on the products we buy from them.

The other thing we have to do is level the playing field for our companies by addressing unfair trade… that is what has given away millions of American jobs and who knows how many advanced products that have not been developed because of the lack of research dollars.

Tomás Scruggs

Tomás Scruggs

Jul 20th, 2011 (6:40 pm)

Do we know if the 2012 Volt will allow for 3 passengers in the back seat, instead of only the 2 allowed in the 2011?
    Thanks.

Sonoma Richard

Sonoma Richard

Jul 20th, 2011 (6:44 pm)

Good article. Slow, steady run up in production as market demand is analyzed and infra-structure is slowly put into place.

Great little car.

Volt # 324; 5600 miles on 28 gallons of gasoline and all-solar electricity.

WVhybrid

WVhybrid

Jul 20th, 2011 (7:12 pm)

jeffhre: Ever hear about a guy named Ralph Nader?

Or the five Boy Scouts from my high school class that died in a Corvair when it flipped? The driver was inexperienced, but was not speeding or showing off. Nader was right, and my school buddies have been feeding worms for more than 4 decades.

Jul 20th, 2011 (7:16 pm)

Gsned57,
    Jim I,

I hear you. We’re working on this. Will have something more fairly soon.

Jul 20th, 2011 (7:18 pm)

Thanks to everyone who had positive things to say today. Much appreciated.

Jul 20th, 2011 (7:21 pm)

Chris C.,

[FYI, Jeff, it's "make do", not "make due" :) ]

Gotcha. I did not check it, and after having done so, it is an archaic term anyway. I thought of the idea of “due” like payment or obligation. The actual origin is more obscure than that.

I’ll remember for next time, and thanks for keeping me on my toes. ;)

Jul 20th, 2011 (7:35 pm)

(click to show comment)

Jul 20th, 2011 (7:47 pm)

ChaivedMcNuttly,

Do not insult people on this forum. If you have a point to make, speak civilly. If you are so smart, see if you can make your point in plain language without calling people inflammatory names and using a rude tone. Let’s see if you can without hiding behind your semi-obscene anonymous screen names. You will win no points any other way.

Jul 20th, 2011 (7:54 pm)

(click to show comment)

Jul 20th, 2011 (7:59 pm)

(click to show comment)

Jul 20th, 2011 (8:17 pm)

ChaivedMcNuttly,

Or, you can show us how smart you really are and make a point cleanly.

Jul 20th, 2011 (8:18 pm)

Jeff Cobb: Are you even interested in finding solutions to what you disagree with, or is your purpose only to disrupt?

For your own sake I would, however, suggest not engaging. Remember: “Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.”

Jul 20th, 2011 (8:32 pm)

DonC: It’s the latter. But no worries. We’re used to it. It isn’t worth bothering with.

Amen. +1 PDNFTT

Tex-Arl

Tex-Arl

Jul 20th, 2011 (9:32 pm)

Jeff Cobb: ChaivedMcNuttly,I have no problem with the truth. Intelligent people can prove they have the truth by not being derogatory.The English language has millions of words to express an idea or make a point. You can do it in a base, guttural and inflammatory fashion, but everyone will hate you for it.Or, you can show us how smart you really are and make a point cleanly.Dissent and disagreement are fine. This is an enthusiasts’ site, but we are not blind sheep or mere cheerleaders here.Terms like “CorvetteFag” and “idiot” and calling people out in slanderous tones is insulting, counter-productive, and not really proof that one really has “truth” that is compelling.In the free market place of ideas you can make a point without hitting below the belt. If you feel disgust, so be it – in fact, get in line, because a lot of people can be disgusted, but still keep their cool.

Thanks for trying Jeff but I am afraid you are talking to someone who is not listening.

Jul 20th, 2011 (9:53 pm)

WVhybrid: Or the five Boy Scouts from my high school class that died in a Corvair when it flipped? The driver was inexperienced, but was not speeding or showing off.Nader was right, and my school buddies have been feeding worms for more than 4 decades.

That is an irreplaceable loss, which can clearly never be overcome. I am not trying to be insensitive, but I am curious. Were the diagnostic and automotive forensic tools and techniques used the time sophisticated enough to allow beyond a doubt conclusions about the conditions that existed at the time of the accident?

Jeff Cobb

Jul 20th, 2011 (10:37 pm)

DonC,
    Noel Park,
    Tex-Arl,

Thanks. I hear you. The purpose is not to feed …

Tom Thias

Tom Thias

Jul 20th, 2011 (10:48 pm)

I know that you and many others are impatience and frusterated that you can’t have this MAGIC Car yet….Me too. A slow calculanear flawless rollout is building momemtum like a tidal wave!!! Battery plants 1and two are building in Holland MICHIGAN…CITY says soon to be the EV Battery of the world!!! City says soon 200,000 + Battery. Packs a year!! LGTVOTR!!
    pjkPA,

storm

storm

Jul 20th, 2011 (10:54 pm)

Honoreitiscom: When will they display kWh used, like they display gas used?

More to the point, when will they display an Ampmeter or a watt meter so the electric car can be driven intelligently?

This is a huge omission!

Mike-o-Matic

Mike-o-Matic

Jul 21st, 2011 (12:37 am)

Noel Park: #57

Amen.+1PDNFTT

I too would lean a little more away from trying to be nice, and a little more toward a temporary IP-range ban…. ***ZOT*** :D

yoseppi

yoseppi

Jul 21st, 2011 (3:19 am)

Jul 21st, 2011 (5:58 am)

Merlin: They had better release at least one variant for Gen II, or within a year of Gen II. Seems like the SS would be the easiest to accomplish.

I would like to see the following in Volt GEN 2.5 …

3″ more rear seat legroom.
    3″ more ground clearance.
    20 more HP.
    Internet voice search (Firefox/Yahoo).
    TV enabled in shift selection PARK.
    Push button phone display on the center LCD during bluetooth.
    Upgraded front seat option (race sides with lumbar adjust).

No Plug, No Sale

Jul 21st, 2011 (8:30 am)

yoseppi: Thanks for officially answering the sunroof question for 2012. At least ASC seems to make a descent aftermarket option though.

Has anyone done this? I would like to have a sunroof.

Joe OBrien

Joe OBrien

Jul 21st, 2011 (10:11 am)

Best pics I could find.

kdawg: Has anyone done this?I would like to have a sunroof.