Jun 20

GM places seven of its people in Automotive News’ Electrifying 100

General Motors was recognized again last week for its contribution to the growing field of sustainable transportation by having seven of its employees join an elite list of 100 advanced-tech vehicle industry movers and shakers.

This group was honored by Automotive News as the top-100 most influential people in all related fields from battery makers, to automobile companies, to those involved with charging infrastructure, utilities, etc. Basically leaders from any private or public field were eligible to be chosen, as long as they were pushing the advanced-tech frontier forward.

The list of names includes President Barack Obama, other government officials from around the world, heads of corporations from around the world, visionaries such as Chelsea Sexton, brilliant engineers, entrepreneurs, and more.

2011 Chevrolet Volt. The first of the Voltec line.

For General Motors to fill out seven percent with its people is a testimony to GM’s commitment to sustainable transportation most pointedly represented by the Volt. The award signifies that GM’s people are having a profound effect on the advanced-tech automotive industry. In order of their naming to Automotive News Electrifying 100’s list, GM’s people were:

• Britta Gross, Director of global energy systems and infrastructure commercialization
• Chris Borroni-Bird, Director of advanced technology vehicle concepts
• Doug Parks, Global vehicle line executive & chief engineer, global electric vehicles
• Jon Lauckner, President, General Motors Ventures
• Mattias Bork, Global chief engineer, fuel cell propulsion systems
• Micky Bly, Executive director of global electrical systems, hybrids, EVs and batteries
• Tony Posawatz, Vehicle line director for Chevrolet Volt

Ripples in the pond

As Posawatz wrote in a recent Voltage blog, the Volt has been an industry trendsetter. After the concept was introduced in 2007, other automakers followed GM’s lead announcing six plug-in hybrid or electric vehicles. In 2008, another 19 vehicles were introduced. In 2009, five more followed, and in 2010 there were 14 retail electric vehicle launches from both niche and major manufacturers, including the Volt.

“Electric vehicles are the future of a sustainable automotive industry and the cornerstone technology that will take automobiles out of the environmental debate,” Posawatz said. “Over the past few years, the State of Michigan has been working to make the state a cornerstone of the electric vehicle industry and GM has played a critical role in this initiative.”

As a result of the Volt, and the Voltec platform that will spin off new models in years to come, thus far GM has invested $800 million in Michigan.

Its suppliers likewise are investing many millions.

Jon Lauckner pointed out the shift to EVs is creating new automotove industry sectors.
In addition to points Posawatz made, Lauckner noted that in the last few years, besides bringing the Volt to market, GM has established the largest OEM battery lab in the United States and hired 1,000 new engineers and researchers.

Why they were picked (In the words of Automotive News)

The market for the Chevrolet Volt and other plug-in vehicles depends on the development of public infrastructure. At GM, that job falls to Gross, 51, who has worked with regulators, utilities and auto industry peers to develop common standards that allow for convenient charging options.

Britta Gross

Borroni-Bird, 46, directs GM’s EN-V concept, a battery-powered vehicle, based on the two-wheeled Segway scooter, with a top speed of 25 mph. The program is GM’s bet on a solution for future cities too densely populated to handle today’s cars and trucks. Unveiled in 2010, the EN-V, which stands for Electric Networked Vehicle, can drive itself and communicate wirelessly with other EN-Vs to avoid crashes.

Chris Borroni-Bird

Parks, 49, is responsible for the delivery and execution of the Chevrolet Volt and other future electrified vehicles for GM. Central to his challenge was readying GM’s plug-in hybrid propulsion system for the Volt’s December 2010 production launch. Now Parks must push forward the additional plug-ins that GM CEO Dan Akerson has said he wants.

Doug Parks

Lauckner, 53, is considered one of the fathers of the Volt; an impromptu drawing of his made GM design czar Bob Lutz a believer in the technology. Now Lauckner is GM’s venture capitalist, searching the world for technology investments. Electrification is a target area for his initial $100 million fund. Early investments include two battery developers, Sakti3 Inc. and Envia Systems. Lauckner isn’t a seasoned venture capitalist; he studied engineering and management in college and then rose through GM’s ranks. His previous gig was head of global product planning.

Jon Lauckner

Bork, 52, is responsible for designing, developing and validating all of GM’s fuel cell propulsion systems, which have produced prototypes of the Chevrolet Silverado and Equinox. GM has invested more than $1 billion in development of hydrogen vehicles.

Mattias Bork

Bly, 44, oversees GM’s work in all things related to electrification, including drivetrains, batteries and even connectivity inside the vehicle. He was director of global hybrid integration and controls when development of the Volt plug-in hybrid began. That process — the Volt development — took just 29 months from the ground up, which Bly called a record at GM for introducing new models.

Micky Bly

Posawatz, 51, is working with a team on reducing costs for the next-generation Chevrolet Volt and on transferring its plug-in hybrid technology to other vehicles. He was tapped as the Volt’s vehicle line director in March 2006, overseeing the project from the concept car shown at the 2007 Detroit auto show through its launch late last year.

Tony Posawatz

Automotive News, Voltage, Voltage

This entry was posted on Monday, June 20th, 2011 at 5:55 am and is filed under General. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

Jun 20th, 2011 (6:16 am)

Andrew Farah – Volt Program Manager & key to its development
    Frank Weber – A brilliant contributor to the Volt/Ampera Program
    Bob Lutz – GM Vice Chairman (retired) & strongest Volt promoter

/Anyone else agree the additional 3 listed above should be honored as well?

Jun 20th, 2011 (6:55 am)

nasaman:

/Anyone else agree the additional 3 listed above should be honored as well?

How about Dr. Lyle Dennis, the creator of GM-Volt.com?

Dan Petit

Dan Petit

Jun 20th, 2011 (7:47 am)

Far more GM professionals ought to have been recognized at the same time that the distinction between what plug ins need an infrastructure and the fact that Voltec does not at all need any public charging infrastructure.

Indeed, if GM expands Voltec toward a sixty mile electric range, even their suggestion of that advancement will overshadow most others instantly, for far more consumers to plan for a future “done deal”.

Yesterday, there was a link on the front page of sub topics about Leaf’s owners contending with needed adaptations to have their lives adapt around the limited range.

This is no small problem. Many if not most of these people may find that anxiety becomes irritation, and, they decreasingly find that they are able to adapt adequately compared to their daily responsibilities of both work and home, even if they do have a primary high distance vehicle.

GM got it right, and it will be a good thing for more of GM people, both past and present, to be recognized also via other publications, keeping in mind the hours they put in for this cause.

barry252

barry252

Jun 20th, 2011 (8:33 am)

I vote for the 1st 100 Volt buyers. Quite a leap of faith to make such an investment without a drive train proven record, lack of test drives and support infrastructure. Blog sites such as Dr. Dennis’ here, help prospective buyers get their questions answered and rumors quelled.

I took that leap of faith one year ago when I plopped down my deposit. I’ve been driving my Volt for 6 months now, Lifetime MPG: 150! GM can consider me “Completely Satisfied”

Thanks and congrats to the folks at GM for their forward thinking. Seeing the ages of the honorees tells me that GM is not as stodgie as its reputation.

Now, develop Gen2 and Gen3 and stay ahead of the pack!!

Volt 63

Jun 20th, 2011 (8:38 am)

Raymondjram: nasaman:

/Anyone else agree the additional 3 listed above should be honored as well?

How about Dr. Lyle Dennis, the creator of GM-Volt.com?

A superb suggestion, along with the 3 that I list …and I couldn’t agree more, Raymond!

Jun 20th, 2011 (8:44 am)

nasaman: Congratulations to all GM honorees, some of whom I’ve met personally. I fully agree with each of the selections, including President Barack Obama. However, I’d like to seriously propose 3 other “writeins”:

Andrew Farah – Volt Program Manager & key to its development Frank Weber – A brilliant contributor to the Volt/Ampera Program Bob Lutz – GM Vice Chairman (retired) & strongest Volt promoter

/Anyone else agree the additional 3 listed above should be honored as well?

Absolutely. All three contributed with courage and decisively.

Recognizing it would be controversial, I would add Wagoner to the list, the gm chair when the Volt project started. It was a big decision.

Jun 20th, 2011 (8:54 am)

I’ll also throw in Denise Gray, and if the list is of “movers & shakers”, I guess I’d have to throw in Elon Musk too (unless he’s already on the list). Where is the complete list?

Jun 20th, 2011 (10:02 am)

kdawg: Where is the complete list?

Jun 20th, 2011 (10:39 am)

nasaman: kdawg: Where is the complete list?http://www.autonews.com/section/electric100

Thanks, I see Elon is on the list.

Jun 20th, 2011 (11:38 am)

Raymondjram: How about Dr. Lyle Dennis, the creator of GM-Volt.com?

The Doc has my vote!

Jun 20th, 2011 (11:47 am)

Congratulations to all. Nobody more deserving.

Lyle

Lyle

Jun 20th, 2011 (11:56 am)

Raymondjram,

Thanks kindly for the mention.

I guess my tireless four year effort wasnt enough to make it to the AN top 100 – but that’s OK – the cars are on the roads now and that’s all that matters. For my Volt 5800 miles and 30 gallons of gas so far.

T 1

T 1

Jun 20th, 2011 (11:57 am)

What about the Volt Dancers and The Llama? Had they toured together, they’d be on the list for sure. And the heads of OPEC. Without their concerted efforts to inflate the price of oil, the electrification movement wouldn’t have the motivation it does now.

pjkPA

pjkPA

Jun 20th, 2011 (11:58 am)

Raymondjram: How about Dr. Lyle Dennis, the creator of GM-Volt.com?

Take out Obama and put in Lyle would be the proper adjustment.

John W (Tampa)

John W (Tampa)

Jun 20th, 2011 (12:09 pm)

I’m doing my best to help the Volt.. Yesterday I kind of helped blow up the story on NBC removing under God from the pledge of allegiance at the start of the U.S. Open. I saw it live and was bothered so I immediately recorded the TV with my Iphone put it on You Tube and tweeted the crap out of it to conservative bloggers and some celebs and such.. It blew up on twitter and my Video was linked on Huffington Post and Yahoo and many other big big blogs.. 220,000 views and counting 1600 comments on my you tube page.

I tried to subtly use it for helping the Volt.. Under the video description about 3 paragraphs down I proclaim how I think the Volt is an amazing car and how I don’t work for GM or know anyone who does. It’s still getting tons of hits, hopefully a few hundred or few thousand will read my little comment. Here’s the link to the video and below the link to the yahoo article. My video is linked on probably 100 sites, I tried to get a little Volt action in there!

Jun 20th, 2011 (12:15 pm)

If the list could add someone who has passed on, I would add Engineer Victor Wouk, the man who started the modern hybrid movement in 1974. He bought a Prius before he died, so he did enjoy the fruit of his work. Search for his name and read more.

Jun 20th, 2011 (12:17 pm)

John W (Tampa),

Thanks John for your video and comments. I was linked to it when the story hit the news media.

Thanks to GM for the Volt, as the vehicle continues to perform perfectly.

Jun 20th, 2011 (12:26 pm)

John W (Tampa),

I congratulate you for what you did, even if it is off topic here.

Although the attempt to remove “under God” remains, I wish this will remind everyone that the Declaration of Independence was written with a strong reference to the three “rights” that God gave us, yet there are some who don’t believe that, and are trying to use those same rights to make us forget about God. It would be easier to forget about Christmas, and eliminate all the commercial income that season generates.

This issue will continue for a long, long time until we give in or we get the non-believers out!!

John W (Tampa)

John W (Tampa)

Jun 20th, 2011 (12:41 pm)

Hey Jeff, I’m striking while the iron is hot.. Just under my vid on youtube I gave you and the site here a shout out.. I was afraid if I did it earlier sites might not link, but tomorrow this may be old news so I threw your name up there and the sites.. Let me know if you want me to remove it..

Jun 20th, 2011 (12:47 pm)

John W (Tampa),

I’m glad you’re spreading info on the Volt, but regarding the “Under God”; the Pledge was just fine for the 62 years it was used before the Knights of Columbus had those words added in 1954. Not only does it bother me due to separation of Church & State, but if anyone can lobby to get something changed, what would stop corporations from getting involved? Do you recall the famous April fool’s joke by Taco Bell, when they announced they bought the Liberty Bell and renamed it the Taco Liberty Bell. The nation went nuts.

Jun 20th, 2011 (12:55 pm)

Raymondjram: I learned the “Pledge” in 1957 and it had “under God” in it, so it must stay that way.

John W (Tampa)

John W (Tampa)

Jun 20th, 2011 (12:59 pm)

Lyle definitely should of been on that list of the top 100.. He introduced me to the Volt.. I think it’s a bit too expensive for me now, but I own an electric bike and I love it!

Jun 20th, 2011 (1:50 pm)

John W (Tampa): Ahahah kdawg, you sound like all the guys on every comment board the video or article is posted on.. I vote we keep that whole discussion off this site! Under God isn’t going anywhere in our lifetimes.. Face it.

Honestly, I personally couldn’t care less about symbolic oaths, anthems, holidays, etc. These are things that have meaning to some, and mean nothing to others. Actions speak louder than words. That’s why its hats off to these 101 people (list + Lyle) who stepped forward and made a difference with their actions. To me, they will make more of an impact helping this country, than any symbolic gesture.

Jun 20th, 2011 (2:10 pm)

kdawg: That’s why its hats off to these 101 people (list + Lyle)

In Lutz’ new book “Car Guys vs. Bean Counters”, Lyle is mentioned with glowing endorsement.

(loc 2289/3549 in Kindle copy. Ch 9.)

Jun 20th, 2011 (3:20 pm)

kdawg: I’m glad you’re spreading info on the Volt, but regarding the “Under God”; the Pledge was just fine for the 62 years it was used before the Knights of Columbus had those words added in 1954. Not only does it bother me due to separation of Church & State, but if anyone can lobby to get something changed, what would stop corporations from getting involved?

I’m with you. +1

Jun 20th, 2011 (3:22 pm)

kdawg: So what about the people that learned the “Pledge” before 1954? It’s OK to change it on them?

That would be me, and it irritates me every time I hear it to this day. A cheap political stunt IMHO. +1 again.

Jun 20th, 2011 (3:27 pm)

John W (Tampa): I vote we keep that whole discussion off this site!

I agree wholeheartedly with that. But wait a second, who started it??? Hint – I don’t think it was kdawg. All credit to him for answering back IMHO.

Jun 20th, 2011 (3:28 pm)

Loboc: “The good doctor’s efforts on behalf of Volt were so massive and effective that an official GM site could not…”

True that! +1 There’s nothing like independence to lend credibility.

Jeff Cobb

Jeff Cobb

Jun 20th, 2011 (3:33 pm)

John W (Tampa): Hey Jeff, I’m striking while the iron is hot..Just under my vid on youtube I gave you and the site here a shout out..I was afraid if I did it earlier sites might not link, but tomorrow this may be old news so I threw your name up there and the sites..Let me know if you want me to remove it..

Hi John W,

I appreciate the shout out. If it helps drive traffic here, I am fine with it.

Great job getting a video to such prominence so quickly.

Jeff

Jun 20th, 2011 (3:35 pm)

I thought I’d spread some Voltness this weekend too. I wore the free T-shirt I got at a Volt test drive in DC. While in a couple bars/restaurants I did get a few compliments on it, which tells me people are starting to learn.

I’m still waiting for GM to update their website so I can build my 2012 Volt. I’d like to get my ducks in a row before going through this process with the dealer.

John W (Tampa)

John W (Tampa)

Jun 20th, 2011 (3:53 pm)

Jeff Cobb,

I just added http://www to the GM-volt.com so now it’s a real clickable link, hopefully some people will make it over here.

Jeff Cobb

Jeff Cobb

Jun 20th, 2011 (4:57 pm)

John W (Tampa),

Awesome. Thanks for the help!

EVO

EVO

Jun 20th, 2011 (5:22 pm)

They forgot electric two wheelers and big machines entirely, which as usual carry the lion’s share of the world’s load completely unsung. The only startling thing is how long it’s taking personal transportation to include electric drive in every application. It’s kind of a no brainer, especially if you like or want low end torque and quiet, smooth operation.

Dan Petit

Dan Petit

Jun 20th, 2011 (7:21 pm)

In reading the top story over in Science Daily today, it may be a good idea to consider that the suggested 60 mile electric range could provide a good additional energy reserve if needed for climate control in the Midwest. They cite a story about oceanic and land-based systems at their peak ability to absorb carbon, and peak carbon saturation as of 2009 as apparently a benchmark. Also the possibility (though I believe it has been happening for the last five years already) of a nine tenths of a degree temperature rise per year, (which would be really significant), if there is a comparison that is valid to what some scientists are suggesting.
    It might be a good idea to calibrate the capacities of the heat exchangers with this in mind.

Jun 21st, 2011 (12:49 am)

<Tony Posawatz: Jeff Cobb, Ripples in the pond

I would like to see an article summarizing the plug in vehicles Mr. Posawatz referred to and their status at this time

Sean

Sean

Jun 21st, 2011 (12:49 am)

How about Gen 2 and gen 3 Volts can use Ethanol when the gas tank kicks in than we won’t have to use pure gasoline anymore but again I still think it’s best to reduce that gas tank and have more electric range plus I hope they use the alternative cheaper battery that we saw a couple weeks ago so more people can afford electric cars and last but not least there should be a way to rapidly charge a battery without discharging the battery by not reducing the range now that sure would be a true winner there who agrees with me?

Jun 21st, 2011 (1:06 am)

T 1: What about the Volt Dancers and The Llama?Had they toured together, they’d be on the list for sure.And the heads of OPEC.Without their concerted efforts to inflate the price of oil, the electrification movement wouldn’t have the motivation it does now.

Actually the heads of OPEC are trying to lower the cost of a barrel of oil. But their greedy free-rider (the economic term) buddies refuse to cooperate. Look it up chew on them facts, and ask yourself why they would do that.

And if you’re friends appear to be wearing sheeps clothing when they have the reputation of wolves to every one else, it’s probably too late to do any thing that can protect you anyway.

Dan Petit

Dan Petit

Jun 21st, 2011 (6:13 am)

Several owners report 120 volt charging cords heating up.
    If you haven’t had the old duplex wall outlet replaced with a new 20 amp GFCI duplex outlet, you might continue to have issues because when an old outlet heats up at the load spade pin, the cord is also going to get hot.

What you also have to do is to measure the temperature of the outlet with a laser thermometer, to see if it is indeed hotter than the charge cord. That heat will greatly reduce the continuity of the cord plug, even if you believe that it plugs in with good holding force. That holding force comes from the other spade and ground pin, not the load spade. (The same issues happen with inspection machines that take about the same amount of amperage for an entire workday, around 8 amps.)

This is why GM prefers the hard-wired in setup, because when the electrician hard wires in the supply connections, the torque force of the screws are maybe about twenty five times that of just a plug. (“Clean, bright, shiny and tight” is the phrase I use to teach techs about the connections required at a car battery, for instance, because the car battery is a digital device to all processors.) The same physics apply to just getting raw wattage into the traction battery charging system.

Have a great day, everyone.