Apr 06

Chevrolet Volt: Selling as planned, and a bright new star for the new GM

Now into the second quarter of 2011, General Motors announced last month it sold 608 Chevrolet Volts in March and had delivered about half of the demos intended for 595 participating Volt launch dealers.

Several stories have spun it positively, saying 608 more than doubles 321 sold in January plus 281 in February. But reports also mention Chevrolet’s year-over-year sales increased 11 percent, thanks in part to a 54-percent spike in new model sales numbering in the tens of thousands.

So what is the true picture for the Volt? Is it doing well? Just alright? Is there cause for concern?

According to GM spokesman Rob Peterson, any doubtful conjecture would be misinformed.

Since its launch last year, the Volt has received lots of attention. Here students and faculty at the Detroit International Academy celebrate $10,000 given from the $225,000 sale of Volt number 1.

“We’re right on target,” Peterson said, “Our sales target for 2011 is we’re going to build 10,000 units, and our expectation is we will sell every one of those 10,000 units.”

First off, only seven states are initially selling the Volt. This will increase to all states by year’s end. An ostensibly slow start has no one at GM caught by surprise, even if reporters and others may wonder.

“Many other people will look at the raw numbers and try and either extrapolate that we’re going to come short for 10,000 units, or they’re just going to take the raw numbers and say it’s not a success,” Peterson said, “And I don’t buy that, I think it’s a short-sighted analysis. We’re 100-percent confident that we’re going to get there.”

In fact, Chevrolet will sell more than 10,000 Volts for 2011. GM will actually build 15,000 Volts at its Detroit-Hamtramck assembly plant this year. And while we’re on the topic, next year it won’t build 45,000, it will build 60,000.

This is not an announcement of new production increases, however. The extra production is for European and other foreign customers who next year and the year following will take up the extra units comprised of Volts, Vauxhall Amperas and Opel Amperas.

Matt Stehouwer is pictured with his Volt in March in Lansing, Mich. He said he was getting 62-miles-per-gallon after 1,500 miles driven, including a trip to New York, where he bought the car.

How did GM decide on these numbers? It carefully calculated the initial roll out based on a few factors, Peterson said.

“You’ve got a couple different things. You are going to have to manage your supply chain and you have to manage your customer experience. And the two of them go and in hand,” he said. “They all lead to having a high-quality launch. Our internal calculus came up with this target of 10,000 units [plus 5,000] and deemed it the appropriate level at which we can build them at the quality and manage the customer experience.”

First things first, is a deliberate process of training service personnel, sales, and monitoring initial customer feedback, Peterson said.

“It’s a very gradual, measured approach,” Peterson said, “it’s the way all vehicles get launched.”

Also, going forward through 2011, don’t expect to see 12 months neatly divided into the number of units projected, he added, or even a consistent progression. Peterson already predicted April’s sales numbers may look lower.

“There are months in which we have more production not going to retail and April happens to be one of those months,” Peterson said. “We will be billing out the remaining demonstrator vehicles for the dealers. And so we’ll be earmarking a large portion of our production to hit dealer demonstrators rather than going to retail. So you might see a retail sales dip in the month of April.”

So you read it here first. The Volt already was the brunt of several April Fool’s jokes. If April’s sales are low, don’t let an after-the-fact April fools lark concern you.

Vanessa Branch poses with the Volt on the green carpet of Global Green USA’s 2011 Pre-Oscar Party in Hollywood.

If sales this month are lower, it will have “nothing to do with lack of demand and everything to do with lack of supply,” Peterson said. “If anything right now we’re supply constraining.”

GM’s emphasis now is on getting more people in dealer demonstrator drives, he said. As mentioned yesterday by GM’s legal VP Mike Robinson, Peterson confirmed the Volt has become a public relations tool par excellence.

“So many people are intrigued by the Volt and they want to drive it. We’re confident that as soon as they get in the car, and experience the car, they’ll recognize the beauty of the car, Peterson said, “Many people who are buying Volts today have never been in a Chevrolet dealership before, or don’t even own a Chevrolet or don’t own a GM product. So we’re drawing new people in to dealerships with this product.”

Papers around the country are featuring these kinds of human interest stories – from senators to everyday citizens drawn to the new electric- and gasoline-powered curiosity by Chevrolet.

“We’ve heard countless stories from dealers” said Peterson, mentioning one of a dealer who brought a Volt back to Atlanta. Once parked in the showroom, it was “immediately seen with flocks of people coming into the dealership to see the Chevrolet Volt and possibly get a test drive. So those dealer demos play a very important marketing role for the entire Chevrolet dealership network.”

James Brazell, stands by his new Volt. He took delivery in February, but the retired oil company executive deserves mention for having placed his deposit on the oil-beating technology in 2008.

After its deliberate and careful first year, GM does plan to ramp up Volt production. With 45,000 Volt sales planned for 2012, the U.S. is to get the lion’s share out of 60,000 Volts and Amperas.

Although Europe has shown itself most ready to embrace electric mobility, we were not able to ascertain why more Volts and Amperas are not projected to be delivered there.

Nor did Peterson confirm any plans to build the car in Europe – or China – at this time. Other reports have said the former is probable, and Chinese production could be possible.

This entry was posted on Wednesday, April 6th, 2011 at 5:55 am and is filed under Financial, General, Production. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

Apr 6th, 2011 (7:00 am)

I find it surprising that sales may be lower when demos were sent out last month also and sales rose. Will dealers get an even higher percentage this month to drive traffic to stores? Did the earthquake and tsunami lead to further supply constraints for the just in time supply system?

More reports of 15,000 units, but with 5000 destined outside the US this time. That should end the unsubstantiated reports of higher production numbers and later retractions by most of the news sources and outlets.

Shock Me

Shock Me

Apr 6th, 2011 (7:12 am)

Nice. Can’t wait to drive over the nearest dealer and have a look since I’ve missed the several times the Volt has been shown in my area.

Dedicating my Volt pile for a possible forthcoming Buick model in 2014 or 2015. Hard not to pull the trigger in the mean time though. Both the e-assist 2012 LaCrosse and the 2012 Cruze are very tempting, although for different reasons.

WVhybrid

WVhybrid

Apr 6th, 2011 (8:04 am)

Nice analysis, Jeff. Although I have my Volt now it is good to understand where other folks stand, and why I won’t be seeing many other Volts in southern West Virginia for quite a while.

Apr 6th, 2011 (8:25 am)

I guess it is time to contact my local dealer again to see where things stand!!!!

NPNS

Have Outlet – Ready For A Blue EREV In Ohio!!

:-)

BobS

BobS

Apr 6th, 2011 (9:08 am)

I think a lot of the current sales in those 7 initial market states are to people from other states who could not wait. I am in Atlanta and I ended up ordering mine from NY a few weeks ago because I could not stand waiting any longer. The local dealer still does not know when they can start to place orders.

Tim Hart

Tim Hart

Apr 6th, 2011 (9:43 am)

Waiting to get the car you’ve wanted for most of your adult life is very hard but hopefully good for the soul! It’s hard to imagine the Volt won’t continue to improve, become less expensive, and be hugely successful. When a demo shows up locally, the wait will become exponentially more difficult! But we have to wait till the price moderates. Jeff, keep the news coming and thank you for taking over so capably for the great Lyle Dennis.

Apr 6th, 2011 (10:10 am)

Thanks! This week I’ve been worried with only moderate feedback in this forum. Every day I try to find the most newsworthy topics. Sorry if some have been not enough to comment on.

Apr 6th, 2011 (10:12 am)

From the article:

Thank goodness. No going back to the last few decades. Thank you for concentrating on making
    a good product. This is extremely important if you want to regain your good name. Never again should you lose sight of this.

Apr 6th, 2011 (10:15 am)

Great news on the Volt sales. GM is on target keeping their promises and solving problems. When the 2011 production run is over, it will be interesting to find out what their biggest surprise was. In other words, what occurred that they never expected? Awards, dealer markups, charge cords, acceptance, and average lifetime MPG are just a few interesting topic ideas when it comes time to review the results.

Apr 6th, 2011 (10:28 am)

Another interesting story, Jeff. I am certainly glad the Volt is only being produced in America at this time. I would love for it to stay that way and get to see hundreds of thousands produced each and every year. More jobs for Americans. We need every job we can get.

Apr 6th, 2011 (10:38 am)

Jeff Cobb:

Don’t worry about it, Jeff. You are doing a great job and we appreciate every story you post. Some days we just don’t respond to certain articles. It is not your fault that we are kind of “jaded” by now with Volt knowledge. That makes it tougher for you to find subjects that will arouse our senses enough to not only read the article but comment on it. There is more activity on the forums and other sites to draw our attention also. Those of us who are lucky enough to be owning a Volt (not me) have other things to do like just driving and enjoying the Volt. And I am sure much time is spent by those owners demoing the Volt.

Your just keep on doing what you have been doing, Jeff. Thanks!

Apr 6th, 2011 (10:48 am)

One question some us are possibly pondering is what will be the difference between the 2011 Volt and th 2012 version. I would not expect any exterior changes, but what about the interior, colors, features and possibly most importantly, software updates and added software features. This would be a good subject to report on if anyone has this information or has access to someone in GM that could provide the information. It may be several more months before it is available for public discussion.

One other thing. For those parts of the country not receiving Volts for sale until the last quarter of the year, will they receive 2011 or 2012 models? Depending on the changes GM might make based on the current owner’s experience, we could see some improvements and additional features offered in the 2012 model.

Tall Pete

Tall Pete

Apr 6th, 2011 (10:53 am)

From the article : “But for the time being, the Volt is made in the U.S.A., and being exported only.”

And it should remain the case. Hopefully GM will not cave in and build the Volt in China. They will copy it in no time at all. Build it somewhere else in Europe where intellectual property means something.

MichaelH

MichaelH

Apr 6th, 2011 (10:56 am)

N Riley,

I think this has been pretty clearly stated somewhere (here, the forum, or the GM site) that MY2011 Volts will be produced until some time in June 2011. After that they will be 2012s. So pretty much “those parts of the country not receiving Volts for sale until the last quarter of the year” will receive 2012 models.

That’s what I assumed when I ordered mine from Texas, that I wouldn’t see one in New Mexico until the fourth quarter of 2011 or first quarter of 2012, and that it would be a MY2012. I figured if I was going to be an early adopter I had to get a MY2011. ;-)

MichaelH
    Northern New Mexico

Merlin

Merlin

Apr 6th, 2011 (11:25 am)

Timely topic, Jeff. I was just wondering about monthly sales and projections yesterday. I was tempted to write you an email to ask you to do an article on it. Good job reading my mind!

JP

JP

Apr 6th, 2011 (11:28 am)

It would be interesting to see what dealerships in what states got those 595 demo Volts?

gmtx2652

gmtx2652

Apr 6th, 2011 (11:41 am)

A technicality, but doesn’t “Made in the USA” require that 75% of parts content be made in the USA (and/or Canada). I’m sure the North American parts content of the Volt will be increasing when new plants/equipment come on line, and assembly jobs are important. Glad to see GM’s and key suppliers investments in the USA and GM’s new products.

Apr 6th, 2011 (11:41 am)

MichaelH:
    N Riley,

I think this has been pretty clearly stated somewhere (here, the forum, or the GM site) that MY2011 Volts will be produced until some time in June 2011.After that they will be 2012s.So pretty much “those parts of the country not receiving Volts for sale until the last quarter of the year” will receive 2012 models.

That’s what I assumed when I ordered mine from Texas, that I wouldn’t see one in New Mexico until the fourth quarter of 2011 or first quarter of 2012, and that it would be a MY2012.I figured if I was going to be an early adopter I had to get a MY2011.

MichaelH
    Northern New Mexico

Thanks! And good luck with your Volt. Being an early adopter is a good thing especially if you can get one very early. After a while as more Volts are on the road, it is less of a pressure to get one. I guess I have about given up on being an early 2011 model year adopter. I just have not made that “jump” to travel hundreds of miles to pick up a Volt, sight unseen. Although it is certainly tempting to do so. Dallas is about an 8 hour trip for me. The other closest location is around the D.C. area (about 12 to 14 hours, I think). I am amazed at the number of people who have traveled from Florida to New York to pick up a Volt. My good wishes goes out to them. I wish them all the luck in the world with their Volts as I do for anyone who has made a purchase whether locally or at a more distant dealership.

Apr 6th, 2011 (11:45 am)

gmtx2652:
    A technicality, but doesn’t “Made in the USA” require that 75% of parts content be made in the USA (and/or Canada).I’m sure the North American parts content of the Volt will be increasing when new plants/equipment come on line, and assembly jobs are important.Glad to see GM’s and key suppliers investments in the USA and GM’s new products.

Apr 6th, 2011 (11:47 am)

Tim Hart: Jeff, keep the news coming and thank you for taking over so capably for the great Lyle Dennis.

My sentiments exactly. +1

Apr 6th, 2011 (11:54 am)

gmtx2652: I’m sure the North American parts content of the Volt will be increasing when new plants/equipment come on line, and assembly jobs are important.

I was amazed to see that my engine was sourced from Austria! I had thought that they had given up on the 3 cyl 1.0 turbo because they didn’t want to import them from Austria. Strange?? Hopefully that will end soon as domestic 1.4 production ramps up.

Anyway, I agree with you. +1

CaptJackSparrow

CaptJackSparrow

Apr 6th, 2011 (12:13 pm)

I think all 15,000 will sell. No doubt.
    But not until they open the roll out to ALL states.

/JMHO

Apr 6th, 2011 (12:14 pm)

From the lead topic: “Once parked in the showroom, it was ‘immediately seen with flocks of people coming into the dealership to see the Chevrolet Volt and possibly get a test drive’. So those dealer demos play a very important marketing role for the entire Chevrolet dealership network.”

I’ve test driven a Volt twice, under very different conditions: Once on hot, dry pavement at the Walt Disney World speedway; and once on freezing-cold, wet, slick pavement at Pier 92 in NYC. From these two test drives I’ve begun explaining the Volt to friends or total strangers in the following succinct way: “It’s quieter on the road than a Rolls Royce, it handles as well as a BMW and it’s as quick ‘off the line’ as a Corvette. And amazingly, it’s total fuel cost (gas and electric) is about 1/4th that of a conventional car.”

/IOW, if people drive a Volt, they’ll buy a Volt. So I believe those dealer demo Volts will inevitably result in a HUGE surge in orders. And public interest should then spread like wildfire to friends, neighbors & the ‘social media’ from word-of-mouth of people like me who’ve test driven a Volt!

Schmeltz

Schmeltz

Apr 6th, 2011 (12:20 pm)

Jeff:
    Thanks for this good article and explanation as to the roll-out of these cars. It was disconcerting to hear the low sales numbers coming out, but is easy to understand per the explanations he gave. I feel a little better now! :)

Apr 6th, 2011 (12:24 pm)

gmtx2652,

I’m still checking that one, but the car is manufactured no where else. It is generically true, even if the FTC might quibble on a legal definition.

Sounds better than “Made in USA of U.S. and imported parts.”

Apr 6th, 2011 (12:26 pm)

Schmeltz,

You’re welcome. Glad I was able to get hold of Rob for this.

Jeff

Apr 6th, 2011 (12:27 pm)

Noel Park: #6

My sentiments exactly.+1

Thanks to all. :)

ziv

ziv

Apr 6th, 2011 (12:56 pm)

I have been keeping track of the highest VIN I can find on Chevy.com to see approximately how many cars GM has shipped/built, including demos, test cars and fleet cars and the highest VIN this week is #2617, and that is a bit lower than the rate of increase over the last month would indicate. Which is exactly what the guy Jeff interviewed predicted. Lets see how this word file copies, hopefully it will be legible…

Date- Highest VIN- Marginal increase
    1/1 - 536* – (Not using VIN)
    2/10 - 1276 - 740 in 41 days
    2/21 - 1238 - [38] in 11 days (I guess some got sent back… Grin)
    2/28 - 1320 - 82 in 7
    3/8 - 1600 - 280 in 8
    3/15 - 1920 - 320 in 7
    3/22 - 2202 - 282 in 7
    3/29 - 2476 - 274 in 7
    4/3 - 2617 - 141 in 7

So they were building and delivering around 300 a week until this week which dropped to around 140, right in line with what Peterson called for…

Apr 6th, 2011 (1:13 pm)

ziv: I have been keeping track of the highest VIN I can find on Chevy.com

Advanced work! +1

T 1

T 1

Apr 6th, 2011 (1:44 pm)

Awesome.

The very definition of halo effect:

“So we’re drawing new people in to dealerships with this product.

Peterson confirmed the Volt has become a public relations tool par excellence.”

The falling dollar helps, as does the current low volume:

Schmeltz

Schmeltz

Apr 6th, 2011 (2:26 pm)

Jeff:
    BTW, I think the girl in the picture with the Volt at the Pre-Oscars was Vanessa Branch, not Jessica Branch. Not to be confused with singer Michelle Branch either. :)

Apr 6th, 2011 (2:31 pm)

Schmeltz: Jeff:

Hmmm… In any case, any/all of the ‘Branches’ have sure got some nice ‘limbs’! ;)

Apr 6th, 2011 (2:57 pm)

“‘We’ve heard countless stories from dealers’ said Peterson, mentioning one of a dealer who brought a Volt back to Atlanta.”

C’mon, you knew this link was coming … ;-)

Apr 6th, 2011 (3:24 pm)

Schmeltz,

Oh, if so, the source has it wrong too. The jpg title had Jessica’s name in it.

I’ll change it. Thanks.

Kmg

Kmg

Apr 6th, 2011 (3:27 pm)

The stunning figure is actually Vanessa Branch, the Orbit gum girl….

EVO

EVO

Apr 6th, 2011 (3:37 pm)

Sales is a weird, weird world.

I have a female Cougar friend who is looking at replacing a 15 year old loaded (sun roof, electric windows) low price stick shift compact coupe with a new vehicle – criterea, must be upscale, 30k budget, prefers right sized vehicle. Experience – owned upscale sedans and performance cars in youth.

Results:

Top preferences to date:
    VW Sportwagen TDI, impressed by interior appointments, perky performance, moonroof
    Lexus 250h, impressed by smoothness, interior appointments, size, moonroof
    Hyundai Sonata Hybrid, maybe, impressed by size and styling for price

Most important upscale features:
    Styling, interior appointments
    Upscale performance or smoothness
    Moonroof
    Satellite radio
    Good fuel economy, efficient powertrain and use of space

Doesn’t care about:
    Power seats.

Refuses to look at, dismissed out of hand:
    Lincoln MKZ
    Ford Fusion Hybrid
    Toyota Camry Hybrid

Looked at and disliked:
    Honda Civic Hybrid – too raw, low end interior.
    VW Golf TDI – dislikes exterior styling.
    Lexus CT200h – too small, young and manly looking.
    Nissan Altima Hybrid – too much of a 80′s style boy muscle car, poor seating position.

Honda CRZ – not impressed by lack of rear seats, small size, what else is available at small increase in price (relative value).

Leaf – not a good fit for driver use.
    Volt – not available yet, much too expensive, dislikes domestic makers due to personal history with past ones.

I’ve learned a lot tagging along. Very different preferences and selection process than mine.

EVO

EVO

Apr 6th, 2011 (3:44 pm)

Almost forgot, on Cougar:

Prius – too mainstream and not an upscale brand due to Toyota badge, not impressed by performance but is considering blinged out version. Plug in not available and would have to be within budget.

Honda Insight – none availabe to look at, but probably too low end and too small, Honda Civic Hybrid made bad impression for rest of potential models.

Truman

Truman

Apr 6th, 2011 (4:05 pm)

I thought GE was committed to buying 10,000 Volts in the next few years.

Are they politely waiting on the sidelines until consumers get their hands on the first few months of deliveries? Will they start buying up 100′s of Volts each month this summer? Anybody know?

As long as Volt can make it to Generation II, this car will become a huge hit. Economies of scale are kicking in, and GM has caused a worldwide race to perfect li-ion for automotive use.

Schmeltz

Schmeltz

Apr 6th, 2011 (4:08 pm)

nasaman: Hmmm… In any case, any/all of the ‘Branches’ have sure got some nice ‘limbs’!

LOL Nasaman! Yeah, she’s the girl in the Orbit gum commercials. Beautiful and great taste in cars! Who could ask for anything more!?

CaptJackSparrow

CaptJackSparrow

Apr 6th, 2011 (5:10 pm)

Schmeltz: LOL Nasaman!Yeah, she’s the girl in the Orbit gum commercials.Beautiful and great taste in cars!Who could ask for anything more!?

lol, She can give me a charge any day.
    Name not required!!!

/wha? wha?

John

John

Apr 6th, 2011 (5:26 pm)

Good article.

Apr 6th, 2011 (5:38 pm)

N Riley:

========================================

Isn’t the MY2012 Volt supposed to have the new super duper voice controlled Radio system?

As I recall, that was a thread here a few weeks ago…

Here is another link:

I think it will be a great improvement!!!

:-)

Apr 6th, 2011 (6:18 pm)

Time for a 2 min break and a little nostalgia, thanks to Kevin Rooker’s post on the Chevy Volt Owner’s FB page & the 2011 Super Bowl…

Notice how prominently the Volt is featured; hey, we sure let GM know how we hated the “Volt Dancers” last year and I think you’ll agree they got the message BIG TIME, right?!?

PS: Click ‘next’ after watching this if you’d like to revisit Dinah Shore doing the original in 1953…

Apr 6th, 2011 (6:39 pm)

Any commercial needs to be followed up by some great news, so here you go…
    VoltEdison2.jpg
    “Last night, in New York City, the Chevrolet Volt was awarded the Gold Medal at the 2011 Edison Awards. The award celebrates the Volt’s engineering that resulted in the world’s first electric vehicle with extended range capability. Voting is based on new products launched in the past year’s impact on society, marketplace innovation, marketplace success and market structure innovation. The awards symbolize the persistence and excellence personified by Thomas Edison whose innovations and new product developments earned him 1,093 U.S. patents.”

/Full article: http://www.chevroletvoltage.com/index.php/Volt/the-volt-takes-home-the-gold.html

Apr 6th, 2011 (6:47 pm)

Jeff- Please unblock my comment #44 hung up in moderation (and delete this one). Thanks!

MichaelH

MichaelH

Apr 6th, 2011 (6:55 pm)

nasaman,
    For those that don’t do Facebook, here are the actual Youtube links:

Glee faux ad

Making of the faux ad

Dinah Shore – 1952

Apr 6th, 2011 (7:05 pm)

Thanks for these links, Michael! I especially enjoyed the 2nd one on making the ad!

MichaelH

MichaelH

Apr 6th, 2011 (7:17 pm)

nasaman,
    I sent these to my dealer where I actually ordered my Volt right after the SuperBowl. I sent them to two guys, one older and one younger. I told them that the younger guy could explain Glee to the older guy and that the older guy could explain Dinah to the younger guy. :-)

When you see it in the “making” clip, those “aerial artists” are even more amazing.

Apr 6th, 2011 (7:21 pm)

From Post:

I hope they take measures to make sure the drives are in Sport Mode, or better yet create a special super-sport mode for test drives. Some people don’t like flooring the accelerator, especially on a car that is not theirs. Nothing sells better than a firm push on the lower back. Especially when it’s unexpected.

MichaelH

MichaelH

Apr 6th, 2011 (7:30 pm)

News Item:

Chevrolet Volt Wins Gold Medal in 2011 Edison Awards – April 06, 2011

DETROIT –The Chevrolet Volt continued to build its resume of honors, winning the 2011 Edison Awards Gold Medal in the Personal Transportation Segment. The Edison Awards honor the innovation in the spirit of America’s greatest inventor and marketer Thomas Alva Edison.

Source: myvolt.com

LauraM

LauraM

Apr 6th, 2011 (8:55 pm)

Jeff Cobb:

I was busy at work today. But I just wanted to say that I think you’re doing a great job. Don’t worry about the response rate. It ebbs and flows.

Apr 6th, 2011 (9:14 pm)

Jeff- Please unblock my comment #44 hung up in moderation (and delete this one & #45). Thanks!

Apr 6th, 2011 (9:24 pm)

nasaman:

Nasaman, I think Jeff as left the building. ;)

gmtx 2652

gmtx 2652

Apr 6th, 2011 (10:48 pm)

#19 N. Riley. Agree, having American’s employed is a good thing (although it wouldn’t hurt to lay a few off in Washington, D.C….)

#21 Noel Park. Agree. I think the Austrian engines are a temporary fix until Flint engine ramps up. 1.4 litre flex-fuel or regular-unleaded turbo would be fine for me (1.3 litre doing fine in the HCH I).

#25 Jeff Cobb. True, good point. Interesting to read various articles on the percentage of North American content in vehicles and where they are assembled though. Curious if USA content counts towards “Made in Canada”?

ClarksonCote

ClarksonCote

Apr 6th, 2011 (10:57 pm)

Jeff Cobb:

Your stories are great Jeff!

I’m rarely on here these days, but that’s because I’m always out driving my Volt! Four months into owning is and I still can’t get over how awesome it is!

join thE REVolution

Apr 7th, 2011 (12:31 am)

ClarksonCote,

Thank you! I’m still anticipating getting in a Volt. Waiting for GM’s press fleet.

Is that a Yamaha in your picture? Color’s Yamaha looking, but not sure the model.

Apr 7th, 2011 (12:31 am)

nasaman,

Done.

Apr 7th, 2011 (5:32 am)

Jeff Cobb: nasaman,

Done.

Thanks, Jeff! The number of comments nearly doubled today –keep up the great work!!!

I suggest everyone take a look at comments #43 & #44 above, which I think you’ll find well worthwhile!

Schmeltz

Schmeltz

Apr 7th, 2011 (8:47 am)

N Riley: You may be correct, but the one thing that is of utmost importance is that every Volt coming off the assembly line is produced with American labor. That is the important part, in my opinion. Union or not, it is good to see Americans gainfully employed.

Amen brother!

Apr 7th, 2011 (11:42 am)

LauraM,

Thanks Laura. I am trying as hard as possible. Lyle left a great legacy, and big shoes to fill. Ramping up to get “plugged in,” as it were is still a work in process.

redvolt

redvolt

Apr 18th, 2011 (9:08 pm)

WVhybrid,

Soon, by the end of the week, there will be two red volts in WV.

John Grant

John Grant

May 5th, 2011 (10:54 am)

I know you are all early adopters and excited to get the car. But I hate GM on principal. Many people lost money on the stock. And to add insult to injury the volt is 40k for an electric motor. I will wait until Hyundai makes one. The concept is not new. And as much as I hate GM I hate Opec more, so the next generation will hopefully have a biofuel converter or something other than gas.