Nov 30

The Chevrolet Volt Officially Launches Today

[ad#post_ad]After three years ten months and 18 days since GM-Volt.com first began, the dawn of a new era is finally upon us.  Today, November 30th 2010, GM launches retail production of the 2011 Chevrolet Volt, and the company makes good on a promise from long ago. So to do I complete my promise of January 12, 2007 to you the reader to have followed the car minute by minute to production, and beyond.

To commemorate this most critical and exciting of all milestones, GM is holding an official launch ceremony at the Detroit-Hamtramck assembly plant where the cars are being built.  The event will be led by current CEO Dan Akerson, and will be attended by the Volt development team, media, and some “special guests”.

In addition to announcing the start of retail production, some new news is expected to be released.

The pre-show begins at 9:30 AM and the presentation starts at 10:00 AM Eastern time.  You can watch the event in real-time in the live video stream below at the end of this post.

It is known that at least 200 consumer cars have already been built, and with the arrival of the EPA label last week, these cars can now be delivered to dealerships in NY, NJ, CT, TX, CA, DC and MI for customers to take home.  The dream now becomes reality.

For the past 20 months we have had a very special clock counting down to to this day on the front page of GM-Volt that  has been provided by site sponsor NetLook. With gratitude I offer the following comments from NetLook’s President Chuck Davis:

Hi. I’m Chuck Davis, the President of NetLook, Inc.; the company that provided the Volt Countdown Clock on this site’s home page. I have asked Lyle to allow me to share with you why NetLook is a fan and sponsor of Lyle’s GM-Volt.com:
Reason #1 – Energy Security: Wide adoption of Electric Cars will provide a big step towards Energy Security for America and other countries.
Reason #2 – Cleaner Air: Wide adoption of Electric Cars will reduce air pollution. This is true even when coal fired plants are generating the electricity and will become more so as countries further transition to cleaner energies such as nuclear, wind, & solar.
Reason #3 – Chevrolet Volt: The first generation Chevy Volts will allow Electric Car early adopters that require extended range to purchase an Electric Car today and drive a majority of the miles gas free. Future improved Voltec iterations will further contribute towards making Electric Cars common place. The unstoppable determination of the GM Voltec Team has been an inspiration to us at NetLook.
Reason #4 – GM-Volt.com: Lyle’s incredible resolve to promote the benefits of Electric Cars (and specifically the Chevrolet Volt) has affirmed “The Power of One”. Lyle’s example motivated NetLook to step up and help make a positive difference. Accordingly, NetLook plans to continue directing a portion of its marketing budget towards the promotion of Electric Cars and will be adding three Volts to NetLook’s vehicle fleet. Over time, NetLook plans to transition our entire vehicle fleet to Electric Cars.

The Chevrolet Volt launch event will be broadcast below.  Enjoy, and see you on the roads!

[ad#postbottom]

This entry was posted on Tuesday, November 30th, 2010 at 7:14 am and is filed under Launch, Production. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

ziv

ziv

Nov 30th, 2010 (7:24 am)

I want to see Volts in the wild! This is a great day!
    How about a series of ads a la the Miller Lite commercials of the 80′s, except this time instead of Less Filling vs. Tastes Great the GM-Volt crowd can argue whether the greatest benefit of the Volt will be Energy Independence vs. Cleaner Air vs. Coolest Tech…
    Did I miss one?

And I am still laughing about the way Lyle phrased this:
    _Current CEO Dan Ackerson._
    Lyle, you make it sound like his team is 0-13 and he is dreading a phone call from the boss.
    LOL

JohnK

JohnK

Nov 30th, 2010 (7:27 am)

Sigh. I live so close to the festivities, but the closest that I can get is through this website. One more reasons to thank you, Lyle. :)

JohnK

JohnK

Nov 30th, 2010 (7:36 am)

Note: for those that can’t wait, a local radio station, WJR has continuous coverage (Tony P. was just interviewed).
    You can go to http://www.wjr.com and click on ‘listen live’, another page will come up and then one more click on listen live – this will let you listen to the broadcast over the internet. If you are in range of the radio station (50,000 watts) it is 760 AM.

FME III

FME III

Nov 30th, 2010 (7:42 am)

Oh, happy day!

Nov 30th, 2010 (7:47 am)

Thanks GM, Bob Lutz, and the Voltec team for your effort to get the job done. And for the transparency and and public access to QC and QA testing during these three years of progress.

And thanks to NetLook Inc for your interest in an automotive world powered by smooth electric drive.

And thanks to Dr. Lyle Dennis for your viscous determination and heart of a distance runner. Just a regular guy who looks forward to driving without gas.

=D-Volt

Nov 30th, 2010 (7:49 am)

I am going to watch, just for the “special guests” and the “new news”!!!!

Lyle, are you going to be on stage today??????

:-)

Richard Romshe

Richard Romshe

Nov 30th, 2010 (7:50 am)

I am patiently waiting in Oklahoma

CMull

CMull

Nov 30th, 2010 (7:52 am)

Unbelievable that this day is finally here. I have been following the website for almost 3 years now and look forward each day to my Volt fix! Thanks Lyle! I plan to get my first GM car in a Volt by the end of 2011, if all plans hold true! I could never have been so educated about a vehicle if it weren’t for Lyle and GM-Volt!

Thanks!

koz

koz

Nov 30th, 2010 (7:53 am)

Woohoo!

LJGMVWOTR!

Nov 30th, 2010 (7:55 am)

Thanks to Lyle for the courage and confidence for starting GM-VOLT where the GM Volt team, future Volt owners and EV supporters could gather here to add their comments to unite us with the common goal of the production of the Volt.

Thank you GM for making this day possible, and the best is yet to come!

IQ130

IQ130

Nov 30th, 2010 (8:01 am)

Congratulations to GM, especially to the Volt development team!

Nov 30th, 2010 (8:05 am)

Lyle’s message:”It is known that at least 200 consumer cars have already been built, and with the arrival of the EPA label last week, these cars can now be delivered to dealerships in NY, NJ, CT, TX, CA, and MI for customers to take home. ”

This is the part I will enjoy mostly for the forum members who have placed their orders, and will receive their cars next month. Althought I cannot drive my own Volt yet, I am happy for those who will.

Thank you again, Lyle, and to General Motors for the successful end of a long journey (which I joined in July 2010), and congratulations to the future Volt owners who will help GM and America become less dependant to foreign oil, and suffer less pollution in our air.

Nov 30th, 2010 (8:14 am)

Im curious who will be the first person to receive their Volt. Will it be a celeb, an exec, or just an average person?

Schmeltz

Schmeltz

Nov 30th, 2010 (8:19 am)

Chevrolet Volt…We’re living the dream!

Nov 30th, 2010 (8:20 am)

I have to attend a staff meeting now at 9:30 AM (AST) and I know it will be long, so I canot see or hear the launch ceremony. I shall read the comments here in the afternoon, and watch the reply at home in the evening.I hope it will be historical.

BillR

BillR

Nov 30th, 2010 (8:24 am)

Vaporware!!

Li-Ion batteries won’t work in automotive applications.

It’s just a PR move by GM.

It will never get into production.

No way they can ever meet the November 2010 production date.

It’s too expensive, no one will buy it.
    ———————————-

Congratulatons GM. There were many naysayers and skeptics along the way, but you proved them wrong, and are leading the way towards Bob Lutz’s prediction:

“The electrification of the automobile is inevitable.”

Nov 30th, 2010 (8:29 am)

Dittos on the education gained. I don’t see how I could possibly have learned so much about the Volt, if not for gm volt and the way it is formatted. Thanks Lyle.

John A

John A

Nov 30th, 2010 (8:33 am)

Thanks as usual Lyle for keeping us all so well informed. I’m looking forward to watching the video feed and to see what transpires today.

Congratulations to Lyle, all fans of the Volt, and special congratulations to the Volt team at GM for getting to this day. I hope and expect this to be just the beginning of a huge success story.

Nov 30th, 2010 (8:40 am)

My most sincere commendations to the GM Volt Team, in particular to Tony Posawatz, Andrew Farah, Frank Weber and Bob Lutz, as well as to you, Lyle, without whom I believe this “first small step by the new General Motors” might never have resulted in “a giant leap by the world’s automotive industry”!

Nov 30th, 2010 (8:43 am)

Congratulations to all involved!!

Hard to believe I’ve been following Volt news (obsessively!) for almost four years. That would have been nigh-impossible without this site! As always… THANK YOU LYLE! Very few can say they’ve changed the world the way you have!!

Nevermind the impact of fixin’ a few ailin’ brains! … you know, in his *spare* time… :D

IES

IES

Nov 30th, 2010 (8:45 am)

Well done guys.. amazing.. you can all be proud. What a fantastic day!

Baltimore17

Baltimore17

Nov 30th, 2010 (8:47 am)

“…these cars can now be delivered to dealerships in NY, NJ, CT, TX, CA, and MI for customers to take home. ”

Don’t forget DC and its suburbs in Maryland and Virginia. :-)

BLDude

BLDude

Nov 30th, 2010 (9:00 am)

A day of thanks today. Thank you GM, thank you Lyle and thank you NetLook, Inc. Also thanks go to all of the people who come to gm-volt.com every day to post their wisdom and, yes, skepticism. I’ve sure learned a lot!

Guido

Guido

Nov 30th, 2010 (9:06 am)

Guido Says:
    May 5th, 2009 at 2:14 pm
    statik Says:
    May 5th, 2009 at 11:15 am
    #46 Guido says:
    (in response to Statik)
    Do we have a deal ? I do believe you to be a gentleman, and a man of your word.
    ======================
    However, your apology is not needed if they don’t hit it.

TODAY SEEMS TO BE THE RIGHT TIME – YOUR PROMISSORY NOTE HAS COME DUE !

Nov 30th, 2010 (9:16 am)

Happy days are here again!
    The skies above are clear again!
    So let’s sing a song of cheer again!
    Happy days are here again!

Nov 30th, 2010 (9:18 am)

Today we get back a piece of our independence!
    Thank you GM.
    Thank you Lyle.
    Big thanks to all, who like me, will buy a Volt.
    My dream of being in a traffic jam without breathing car exhaust gets one step closer to reality.

NPNS!

Nov 30th, 2010 (9:28 am)

Guido,

I bet someone a beer on this too, but don’t recall who.

Rooster

Rooster

Nov 30th, 2010 (9:32 am)

What coincidence, today is my birthday too!

James

James

Nov 30th, 2010 (9:36 am)

HALLELULIAH!

HALLELULIAH,

HALLELULIAH,

HALLELULIAH,

HALLELULIAH!

James * and AMEN! Netlook! – even though you’re preachin’ to the choir! :)

muv66

muv66

Nov 30th, 2010 (9:38 am)

Now THIS is an American Revolution. This is truly a great day; I can’t believe I had to wait until I was 44 to witness mass-produced electric cars, but I’ll still have plenty of time to enjoy it. I’d like to thank the Academy, GM and Lyle. Oh, and one more thing: How about a schedule so I know when I can get my very own Volt here in sunny Columbus Ohio? (A scarlet and gray one, of course). Cheers!

James

James

Nov 30th, 2010 (9:48 am)

James: HALLELULIAH!HALLELULIAH, HALLELULIAH,HALLELULIAH,HALLELULIAH! James * and AMEN! Netlook! – even though you’re preachin’ to the choir!   (Quote)  (Reply)

HALLELUJAH!,

HALLELUJAH,

HALLELUJAH,

HALLELUJAH,

HALLELUJAH!

James

* SORRY, I’m HOOKED ON PHONICS , LOL

and the edit function wasn’t workin’ for me…

At any rate – This is the day – This is the day that the Lord has made….I will rejoice in it…

Congrats go out too, to all the gm-volt.com posters who’ve hung in there for years with all the ups and downs. It’s all been worth it for this groundbreaking day!

tom w

tom w

Nov 30th, 2010 (9:51 am)

mr. davis lists his reasons for supporting the volt, primarily energy security and clean air.

Lyle’s driving chart shows that with just one car, one person is reducing his use of oil by about 700 gallons a year, which currently is about $2000 a year that now is staying in our economy and not going to fund our enemies.

This simple point makes sense whether you are democrat, republican, independant, believe or don’t believe in global warming etc.

It should be the one point everyone understands about this car but few people every mention it.

Lyle’s volt not only creates American jobs by the car itself but he keeps $2000 A YEAR in our economy instead of giving it to OPEC.

In 10 years the Lyle’s Volt could keep $30-40,000 from leaving our economy to buy opec gas if gas prices average $5 gallon over those years. Even if gas NEVER goes up in price Lyle’s volt will keep $20000 in our economy the next 10 years not even including the purchase of the vehicle.

bookdabook

bookdabook

Nov 30th, 2010 (9:54 am)

A Volt Car One Haiku

One rolls off the line
    One is driven to a home
    See happy owner

flmark

flmark

Nov 30th, 2010 (9:56 am)

Great idea for a NEW counter: The number of Volts that have rolled off the assembly line. And it appears the counter can already start in the hundreds.

Mike-o-Matic

Nov 30th, 2010 (10:04 am)

tom w: I don’t understand why everyone isn’t focused on the simplest and most important reason which is simply reducing imported oil.

This bears repeating! If you agree that GM should worry less about marketing-fluff slogans like ‘more car than electric’ … and instead, do more to raise awareness of what the Volt can do for OIL USE REDUCTION and NATIONAL SECURITY… please vote +1 for Tom’s post and make that sucker go bright green!

doggydogworld

doggydogworld

Nov 30th, 2010 (10:08 am)

Congrats to everyone on the Volt project.

Except the marketing folk. CEO Akerson was on CNBC this morning repeating the unnecessary lie that the ICE “only recharges the battery, there is never any mechanical drag on the gasoline engine”. Marketing should have got their message straight long before launch. The Volt runs on electricity only for 25-50 miles, no matter how fast you go or how hard you accelerate. After that it runs on gasoline so you can drive cross country just like any other car. That’s the only message that matters.

No one cares about how gasoline moves the car once you hit extended range mode. It’s bad enough to lie about something that’s relevant, but it’s complete insanity to lie about something that doesn’t matter.

Mike-o-Matic

Nov 30th, 2010 (10:09 am)

CEO Dan Akerson just drove the Volt onstage… I did not foresee that…

And of course, NOBODY “fore-heard” it!!!!

It gave me chills!!

Mike-o-Matic

Nov 30th, 2010 (10:14 am)

“RETAIL JOB ONE”…. I know who *I’m* rooting for, to receive it!

statik

statik

Nov 30th, 2010 (10:15 am)

Guido: Uhhh – STATIK – Don’t you have something you wanted to say ??? Seems like this is as good a time as any ! I’m sure you remember : Guido Says:May 5th, 2009 at 2:14 pmstatik Says:May 5th, 2009 at 11:15 am#46 Guido says:(in response to Statik)LOL – OK, Mister “glass is half empty ” ! Let’s see you put your money where your mouth is.If GM begins producing saleable Volts by Novemeber 30, 2010, will you post a public apology to GM and Bob Lutz for your endless whining and poor-mouthing of GM over the last 18 months ?On the other hand, if GM fails to do so, I will agree to post a sincere retraction of any doubts I ever had of your immense wisdom and foresight. I will also cede to you the title of Galactic Overlord, and heir to the throne of the Universal Overseer.Do we have a deal ? I do believe you to be a gentleman, and a man of your word.======================If GM delivers even 1 Volt off the production assembly line at anytime in 2010. ie) VIN #0001 going to any customer I will offer my sincere apology for my, ‘endless whining and poor-mouthing’ without hesitation. Heck I want to buy it, so it is a apology with a great perk for me…although I don’t have a million-odd dollars lying around to bid on it at Barrett-Jackson (ala the $385K paid for the Camaro)However, your apology is not needed if they don’t hit it.TODAY SEEMS TO BE THE RIGHT TIME – YOUR PROMISSORY NOTE HAS COME DUE !  (Quote)  (Reply)

I guess I should comment on this by now. I am a man of my word, lol.

James

James

Nov 30th, 2010 (10:19 am)

December’s Popular Science magazine lists the Chevy Volt almost as an afterthought in it’s 2010 BEST INNOVATIONS issue.

The TOP AUTOMOTIVE INNOVATION for 2010, according to PopSci, is the Porsche 918 Spyder plug in hybrid – a car that could cost $600,000 if it is ever built at all. So far it’s lapped tracks only in computer simulations and is extant only in a prototype form. Secondly, PopSci includes a large photo of the Ferrari 458, a $223,000 ICE exoticar. The Volt gets a tiny picture and a blurb. Ford’s Fiesta got the same sized blurb.

So please, on this day of celebration of a new age of auto motivation, and less dependence upon foreign…and domestic oil, for cleaner air and quieter streets…. Write a short email to PopSci’s editor letting him know the significance of Volt – and questioning why they don’t view a revolutionary EV-hybrid that’s obtainable by the masses and may well see mass production – as innovative and noteworthy as a supercar that is vapor and may be purchased by a few Arab sheiks and billionaires.

Please note the irony that in his Editorial, PopSci’s top dawg says picking the winners has often come down to which invention will be more impactful and likely to be implemented. He states that even recently, some great inventions didn’t make the cut because of their cost or inability for mass adoption! Go figure – an unproven, vaporware supercar concept wins when Volt gets the econobox treatment!

Here’s the link: letters@popsci.com

Here’s the address:

Popular Science
    Letters
    2 Park Ave., 9th Floor
    New York, NY 10016

Thanks -

James

PUMP OUT THE VOLTS! ( in all 50 states ),

James

Mike-o-Matic

Nov 30th, 2010 (10:20 am)

10:18am Eastern Time… Governor Granholm mentions “ENERGY INDEPENDENCE”… the first person I’ve heard say it all morning!

THANK YOU JENNIFER GRANHOLM!! Both for that, and also for your role in helping making Volt come to serial production!

Nov 30th, 2010 (10:33 am)

Well Lyle, what’s the ‘next big thing’? Looks like this one is stamped and shipped!

Good job on keeping this site up. And great job GM for keeping on track through thick and thin.

Looking forward to all the reports from all the regulars and all their Volts until I can get one for my garage.

Mike-o-Matic

Nov 30th, 2010 (10:37 am)

Less than 10 seconds after it was mentioned by Mark Reuss, I was at: http://www.bidonthevolt.com

A website whose existence I do not believe was previously publicised anywhere… and the current bid already at $52,500!!!

Mike-o-Matic

Nov 30th, 2010 (10:37 am)

MAXIMUM BOB!!!

crew

crew

Nov 30th, 2010 (10:37 am)

I have been following the Volt from day 1. Even as the precursor, EV-1.
    When the mountains needed to be climbed, many have faltered.
    When the technology needed to be created, many have wilted under the challenge.
    When production needed to be planned, many have dreams have been crushed.

The EV will be on the road today and congratulations to the successful mountain climbers, the successful engineers, and the fortuitous production planners.

Their dreams are coming true with rolled up sleeves and miles of satisfaction.

To all of the individuals that will be taking delivery of the Chevrolet Volt, generation one:

It’s been a blazed trail to get here, enjoy the road ahead of you.

Guido

Guido

Nov 30th, 2010 (10:47 am)

statik: I guess I should comment on this by now. I am a man of my word, lol.When GM delivers the first Volt to any customer, as they look to do very shorty, you get my apology. It is not a big deal, I can be wrong and I have no problem owning mistakes. Back in May of 2009 when GM was entering into bankruptcy, I thought it would get pushed back to 2011. Much to the PTFoA credit, they kept the project well funded. I am happy they did. I look forward to the delivery of my own Volt.–I will say, mentioning this, and copying & pasting this, dozens of times-and making snide comments all along the way over the last year and a half before the event is probably in bad form…as is cutting off the rest of my quote when you do, that I thinks speaks on how ‘gentlemen’ handle things:“However, your apology is not needed if they don’t hit it. I claim no satisfaction in GM missing its goals, and I won’t be rubbing anyone’s face in it..or bringing up their conduct towards me or others. I understand people are very passionate about this subject and my posts (and some other’s as well) can be taken as a threat to what they hold close.”  (Quote)  (Reply)

————
    Statik,
    1) This is the second time I’ve posted this, not the 12th time.
    2) The spirit of your post was retained, and consistent with the spirit of your posting over the last couple years.
    3) You faulting me for making “snide” comments seems to be a bit ironic, especially given
    your history on this site, as well as your Nissan Leaf site.
    4) I hear salt, pepper and even melted butter dramatically improve the taste of crow.

Patrick

Patrick

Nov 30th, 2010 (10:54 am)

(click to show comment)

Brent

Brent

Nov 30th, 2010 (10:56 am)

muv66,

Yeah, muv66, I’m waiting for mine in Columbus, too… we’re so far down the list, I wonder if they will be released in Europe before we get any here… I guess we’re just not cool enough…

Mike-o-Matic

Nov 30th, 2010 (10:59 am)

Mike-o-Matic: “RETAIL JOB ONE”…. I know who *I’m* rooting for, to receive it!

Not that he really -needs- it for the next ten weeks or so… :D

Nov 30th, 2010 (11:03 am)

Fantastic! The final CEO comment, during the Q&A, looking at ways to double or triple production!

Go VOLT, go GM.

Drake

Drake

Nov 30th, 2010 (11:04 am)

VAPORWA…….!….
    Now what’ll the naysayers have to say?? *grin*

Glad to see that production has officially begun :)

Tom

Tom

Nov 30th, 2010 (11:04 am)

Great now let us buy them in the heartland!!!!!!!!!
    Tom

statik

statik

Nov 30th, 2010 (11:05 am)

Tim Hart

Tim Hart

Nov 30th, 2010 (11:05 am)

What a pleasure it is to read all the heartfelt comments today! It is truly a great day for all of us and indeed for the good old USA. Thank you Lyle and GM for one of the best feel-good stories in a very long time amidst a sea of very bad stories that always dominate the landscape. How great it will be to see Volts cruising around the roadways of America!

Steve W.

Steve W.

Nov 30th, 2010 (11:05 am)

I watched and enjoyed the entire live web stream this morning. Thanks so much for making it available here. There was not a single glitch !
    And on a higher note…..I contacted a VOLT advisor earlier this morning and was told that MY car began production yesterday !

Johann

Johann

Nov 30th, 2010 (11:06 am)

PopSci magazine is a joke of a rag. I read them when I was in grade school since that’s the target audience.

Tall Pete

Tall Pete

Nov 30th, 2010 (11:08 am)

I was in a lab with my students and every now and then I was able to have a glimpse at the streaming video of the official launch. I had no sound, just the image of the conference but I know that I was witnessing an historical event. The launch of a new era.

When Bob Lutz appeared on my screen, even silent, it made my day ;-)

Thanks Lyle for providing us the feed.

ziv

ziv

Nov 30th, 2010 (11:09 am)

Was there any firm commitment to upping production by a specific amount?
    I missed the press conference.
    Nasaman, you obviously weren’t replying to me because we posted at the very same time, but your words are welcome indeed!

Nov 30th, 2010 (11:09 am)

koz

koz

Nov 30th, 2010 (11:11 am)

Mike-o-Matic: Posted this before they announced the charity auction. BTW, nice gesture GM! Very classy. On the other hand, while it won’t be Lutzie, Lyle, Lauckner, et. al., who will be the thrilled recipient of Retail Job #1, at least we can be pretty damn sure that with 200 of them completed, LYLE’S VOLT is probably mere DAYS from being available for delivery!! Not that he really -needs- it for the next ten weeks or so…   (Quote)  (Reply)

Nov 30th, 2010 (11:12 am)

No Pink Tie On Bob Lutz?????

What could it mean?????

You have to give him credit, he can really rally the troops!!!!

Great show, glad I was able to watch it all.

It was good to hear that they are at least thinking about tripling the volumes!!! Now just open up the rest of the country for sales!!!!

OT: Last night my wife was looking at MORE magazine, and she saw a story about the Volt. She looked at me and said, “Isn’t that the car we are going to get?” Now I know she is on board with it, so come on GM, make it available in Ohio before she changes her mind!!!

:-)

NPNS

Have Outlet – Ready For EREV In Ohio

Nov 30th, 2010 (11:15 am)

tom w: I don’t understand why everyone isn’t focused on the simplest and most important reason which is simply the econmic benefits of reducing imported oil.

First, congratulations to GM on this milestone. Great job!

With respect to your suggestion that EVs hold great economic benefits, these benefits go well beyond simply reducing the balance of payments by paying local producers rather than foreign producers. (You could do this with domestically produced oil, if there was enough of this, which of course there isn’t.) The big economic benefits are twofold. One is that there is a dramatic decrease in costs. If you’re spending $50 on electricity rather than spending $250/month on gas you’re freeing demand which will make its way to other products and services, raising the standard of living. This is particularly true because the actual cost of delivering that electricity is extremely low, far less than the $50 you might pay, because the transmission and distribution costs are sunk and the variable cost of power will be close to zero, assuming off peak charging.

The second benefit is that it eliminates the wild swings in price which creates severe economic recessions. To some extent its lunacy to tie your economy to the price of a commodity because most commodity prices swing wildly. Always have. Always will. And oil is no exception. By tying our economy to the price of oil we’ve put ourselves on a roller coaster. Prices drop and we have a boom. Prices spike and we have a bust. And every time we go through this cycle we come out short of where we’d be if we had a more steady increase in economic growth. By tying transportation costs to electrical costs, which are incredibly stable, we can avoid these boom and bust cycles and have higher economic growth.

SteveF

SteveF

Nov 30th, 2010 (11:16 am)

This is great day! Watched the live feed and was great to be part of the real delivery of the Volt.

John

John

Nov 30th, 2010 (11:17 am)

GM Volt – 100 years in the making :-)

I sure wish battery-cars would have stayed in existence after their introduction around 100 years ago. Cheap and pleantiful US-based oil drilling and the energy found in a gallon of gas versus a set of heavy batteries have helped put off this day. Thanks to Lithium, we now have a new direction in high-performance battery technology. I’ve used LithiumPolymer (LiPO) in RC cars now for a couple years and enjoy them over NiMH – and 1:1 scale cars definitely will benefit as well.

Glad to see the Volt out the door. I may be purchasing vin # 25000 or so if I can arrange financing in 2012 and pull the trigger on it or the second model MPV that comes out (which I think I would prefer due to cabin size).

APC

APC

Nov 30th, 2010 (11:17 am)

On my birthday! Fantastic! Great job GM for bringing this to market. You have jump-started our transition off foreign oil.

Mike-o-Matic

Nov 30th, 2010 (11:18 am)

nasaman: At the wrapup of the Volt’s Launch Day press conference, Dan Ackerson himself answered the question, “does GM have any plans to increase Volt production? IN ONE WORD HE SAID: “YES!” He then elaborated on that, equivocating somewhat but not much, and ended by saying that they’ve talked about “doubling or tripling” it.Hooray! —the top man at GM says they have a plan to “double or triple” Volt production!

NM, not to water down the excitement or anything, but if I recall correctly, he said they were STUDYING how they would do that … which is not to say they WILL double or triple production, but are working diligently to be prepared if it becomes warranted to do so.

I hope I’m just misunderstanding you, but it sounded like you inferred from his statements that they WILL be doubling or tripling. Maybe it’s just me.

EDIT: Edited twice… attempting to be as clear as possible.

LRGVProVolt

LRGVProVolt

Nov 30th, 2010 (11:19 am)

This is a great day for GM and everyone involved in delivering the Volt to the American public and the World. America is back in the game, full-time!

Happy trails to you ’til we meet again.

JohnK

JohnK

Nov 30th, 2010 (11:21 am)

It was good to see Maximum Bob on stage.

Nov 30th, 2010 (11:22 am)

APC: On my birthday! Fantastic!

Happy Birthday to you. Happy birthday to you. Happy Birthday dear APC. Happy Birthday to you. And many more!

Nov 30th, 2010 (11:24 am)

Mike-o-Matic: NM, not to water down the excitement or anything, but if I recall correctly, he said they were STUDYING how they would do that … which is to say, they WILL double or triple if it becomes warranted to do so.

Thanks for that clarification, Mike. Guess my enthusiasm went a little overboard! You’re right, and I should have explained that having a plan to double or triple production and IMPLEMENTING the plan are very different things. But at least we know they’re planning for the possibility.

Mike-o-Matic

Nov 30th, 2010 (11:25 am)

koz: That’s what I was thinking. Who gets to drive his Volt while the CAB Volts are still in play?

Probably a very, VERY happy and proud Mrs. Dennis :D

T 1

T 1

Nov 30th, 2010 (11:25 am)

The great day has finally arrived!

Mike-o-Matic

Nov 30th, 2010 (11:28 am)

nasaman,

Agreed, it’s crucial! Imagine if they find they have a runaway hit on their hands, beyond even OUR wildest hopes here at gm-volt.com… and they’d failed to plan for huge scale-ups in production. That would be nothing short of tragic.

I pray all their suppliers are doing the same (and GM is monitoring them to make sure they are).

Keith

Keith

Nov 30th, 2010 (11:28 am)

I want to express my sincerest THANK YOU to you too Lyle.

Nov 30th, 2010 (11:33 am)

Note to Lyle… If I heard it right, Dan Ackerson said he & his wife have had a Volt for ~5 weeks and driven it ~500 miles. Yesterday in your introductory article you said, “In these past 19 days I have driven the car nearly 1300 miles, and thus the following review is based on the longest duration experience ever published.” I believe that you’ve very likely “outdriven” all the other CAB members so far, as well as the CEO (who’s now had his Volt TWICE as long as you have!)

/Have you ALWAYS been an overachiever, Lyle? ;) ;) ;)

coffeetime

coffeetime

Nov 30th, 2010 (11:35 am)

“A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.”

With the Volt, GM is taking that first step. With any luck, there will be a “Forrest Gump”-like following of customers. Congratulations, GM, and many thanks, Lyle!

Nov 30th, 2010 (11:43 am)

tom w: I don’t understand why everyone isn’t focused on the simplest and most important reason which is simply the economic benefits of reducing imported oil.

I would say there are 2 groups of motivation:
    • Energy Independence
    • Environment

Energy Independence encompasses concerns about security, peak oil, economic issues, etc.

Environmental concerns include air quality, global warming, oil spills, etc.

Because of the way these two groups overlap, I think more people are motivated by Energy Independence. The vast majority of the Environmental group are also concerned with Energy Independence, but there is a large percentage of the Energy Independence group who aren’t as concerned about the environment.

Bottom line: Going green probably motivates around 40% of the population, while Energy Independence motivates roughly 80%. The sooner politicians realize this, the better.

Dave4664

Dave4664

Nov 30th, 2010 (11:48 am)

Did anyone record the event? I hope it finds it’s way to YouTube or something as I was not able to watch it live. Truthfully however, I don’t need the video to understand the ramifications of this wonderful day. As a former doubter….who thought GM was incapable of an accomplishment of this magnitude, I take all of my early “negative words” back. I am now an enthusiastic supporter of GM and the Volt. I commend GM and the entire Volt team on a job well done! Now…..PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE….. never go back to the old GM’s way of thinking. Stay on the “cutting edge” technologically. Do not ever again sacrifice quality and dependability. I have no doubt that the world will pay a premium for your products….. if they know that they are purchasing something EXCEPTIONAL….like the Volt.

Nov 30th, 2010 (11:51 am)

Nov 30th, 2010 (11:52 am)

Mike-o-Matic: Imagine if they find they have a runaway hit on their hands, beyond even OUR wildest hopes here at gm-volt.com… and they’d failed to plan for huge scale-ups in production. That would be nothing short of tragic.

That’s actually a good problem to have. It would mean other car makers would finally wake up and start building EREVs as well.

Once we have other EREVs competing with the Volt, things will heat up fast, and sales will soar. So competition would help everyone, including GM.

Harrier

Harrier

Nov 30th, 2010 (11:53 am)

Oh happy day!

I am glad to have walked this path with all of you, making a road for others to follow. And they will follow.

Nasaman is correct in his enthusiasm… GM will make these cars by the thousands. It is as clear to me today as it was when I first read about the Volt three years ago. This is the first step but it is also the most important because now we are on our way.

See you all on the road!

Harrier

barry252

barry252

Nov 30th, 2010 (11:55 am)

Congratulations to GM on a job well done! I’m really looking forward to the delivery of my Silver Ice VIN # 63!

Thanks to you, Lyle for keeping us all so informed. Quite inspiring!

Thanks to all you posters for sharing your knowledge and experiences. I have never been so well informed on a project in my life!

Thanks to you trolls and naysayers out there. You provided the checks and balances to prevent the hype from getting out of control and all the various truths could come to light.

Chevrolet UAW, thank you for your efforts. Keep the focus and minimize muda!

GM Marketing, cut the fluff, push the pro’s of the Voltec drive and expand it into other platforms. License it overseas and reap the benefits. I hope the Super Bowl commercials are as worthy as the Volt itself.

NetLook: Change the coutdown clock to number of volts made and count up. It’ll be fun to watch.

pjkPA

pjkPA

Nov 30th, 2010 (11:55 am)

Great day… as with most people I’m at work and can only view the site for my 30 min lunch.
    Missed the broadcast… someone here at work said that he ordered a fully loaded VOLT and they told him it would be delivered in 45 days… that was a couple weeks ago. I may get my first ride right here at work. I’ll be calling my local TV stations to do coverage on the VOLT.

Nov 30th, 2010 (11:59 am)

T 1: The great day has finally arrived! And the good news just keeps coming, “NetLook plans to continue directing a portion of its marketing budget towards the promotion of Electric Cars and will be adding three Volts to NetLook’s vehicle fleet. Over time, NetLook plans to transition our entire vehicle fleet to Electric Cars.”What countdown should there be now? To v2? Barrels of imported oil? A countUP of # of Volts sold? Dissolution of the Euro?  (Quote)  (Reply)

I suggest a countup of delivered Volts! Let every new Volt owner come and post his/her VIN here and start counting up the Volts on the road until there is at least the first 10,000. Then let the Volt owners contine with the Owner Forums and share the rest of the ownership stories, especially if anyone find a problem that others should know about.

I didn’t see the live launch ceremony, but I will watch it tonight and watch the news about it in TV.

Good show, GM!!

Streetlight

Streetlight

Nov 30th, 2010 (12:00 pm)

The first production VOLT will be kept by GM-the second production VOLT being auctioned off mid-Dec for a public school charity. GM also announced it was adding 1000 battery & EV tech jobs.

Congrats to GM Leadership and the entire VOLT team.

Nov 30th, 2010 (12:03 pm)

Dave G: I would say there are 2 groups of motivation:
    • Energy Independence
    • Environment

JeremyK

JeremyK

Nov 30th, 2010 (12:08 pm)

GM Hiring to Push Electric Effort Beyond Volt

JeremyK

JeremyK

Nov 30th, 2010 (12:09 pm)

JeremyK:
    GM Hiring to Push Electric Effort Beyond Volt
    General Motors Co said on Tuesday it would hire 1,000 engineers and researchers in Michigan over the next two years to develop more electric cars and hybrids as it launched its battery-powered Chevrolet Volt…..(more)1,000 engineers is a lot of well-paying jobs for an area that is very much in need of them.

T 1

T 1

Nov 30th, 2010 (12:13 pm)

nasaman: GM revealed some VERY big news at the Volt Launch event today! —That they’ll will add 1,000 electric vehicle engineering and development jobs in Michigan. It was also announced that “Volt #2, the first Volt available for retail sale will be auctioned online to benefit math and sciences education in Detroit”. Great publicity that tons of media outlets should pick up!/In my mind, the 1,000 new electric vehicle engineering/development job announcement finally puts to rest the fear that GM viewed the Volt as primarily a “halo” or merely as a means to get people into showrooms!  (Quote)  (Reply)

Some other good quotes from the Detroit News article today:

“Beginning today, the new hires will work to expand GM’s vehicle electrification expertise to lead in the development of hybrids to electric vehicles with extended-range capability like the Volt.” Sounds like they’ll be dedicated to further EREV development, but I’m not so sure because the wording was not precise.

“GM is determined to be a leader in this field by having this expertise in-house.” Confirmation of what GM has been saying.

“There are studies under way to see what we could do if we had to double production or triple production” Not sure what this means exactly, but I like it anyway. A LOT.

“Akerson admitted the first-generation Volt is “close to cost” but said the timeline for second and third generations of the vehicle includes taking cost out and increasing volume.” Further confirmation.

“Akerson said he wouldn’t bet against breakout battery technology that allows a car to go 300 or 400 miles on electricity alone in the next 15 years.” So it looks like hybrid and EREV over pure EV for awhile for GM.

Mitch

Mitch

Nov 30th, 2010 (12:32 pm)

current bid 60,000.00 I wonder how high it will get…wish I wonthe lotto, I’d be all over that thing…

George McDermand

George McDermand

Nov 30th, 2010 (12:34 pm)

flmark,

Second Vote on the production counter idea! As soon as it can be done!

Tagamet

Tagamet

Nov 30th, 2010 (12:35 pm)

I actually replied to the *next* thread first, but one word says it all:
    HUZZAH!!

Be well and believe,
    Tagamet
    /work start time was pushed back to 2 pm today, so I actually got to post on this special day!

Let’s Just Get The VOLTS ‘ Wheels On The Road!!

Nov 30th, 2010 (12:37 pm)

Mike-o-Matic: please vote +1 for Tom’s post and make that sucker go bright green!

Done! +1

MichaelH

MichaelH

Nov 30th, 2010 (12:39 pm)

I just checked to see if Alexandra Paul had any more answers for her ask Alexandra series. They first put out two answers, but now are up to 12. (Facebook)

The good news is that my question got answered in number 4. :-) The bad news is that Ohio and New Mexico dealers will not see new Volts until 2012. :-( Those two states were covered specifically in the question and answer.
    Michael

Nov 30th, 2010 (12:40 pm)

statik: I will say, mentioning this, and copying & pasting this, dozens of times-and making snide comments all along the way over the last year and a half before the event is probably in bad form…as is cutting off the rest of my quote when you do, that I thinks speaks on how ‘gentlemen’ handle things:

Not to worry pal, you get plenty of respect here. All the best.

muv66

muv66

Nov 30th, 2010 (12:42 pm)

Brent: muv66,

Brent,
    Jack Maxton Chevy will hold your place in line for a $500 deposit, but they know less than we do. I was hoping for some clue about the roll out to the rest of the country but looks like that may not happen. As far as I’m concerned, the Volt isn’t real until I can get one. I hope GM will ramp up production so that everyone who wants one can get one in a timely manner.

Nov 30th, 2010 (12:43 pm)

Dave G: I would say there are 2 groups of motivation:
    • Energy Independence
    • Environment

Don’t forget about the geek factor. That’s probably my top reason to get a Volt. It’s the most technologically advanced car out there. I love the idea of zipping around on electricity. (and of course I love all the other benefits that come with that).

EDIT: Just read Loboc’s post at 86

Nov 30th, 2010 (12:45 pm)

VIN number 122 is in transit to our dealership! WooHoo!
    (can’t get a solid confirmation when it will arrive, but it will be soon…)

Nov 30th, 2010 (12:45 pm)

Dave G: Right now, the Volt has no competition. No other major car maker has even announced a production EREV.

What ever happened to Fisker? I never hear about them anymore.

Nov 30th, 2010 (12:51 pm)

CorvetteGuy: VIN number 122 is in transit to our dealership! WooHoo!
    (can’t get a solid confirmation when it will arrive, but it will be soon…)

Make sure you scotchgard the seats to keep the druel off.

Matthew_B

Matthew_B

Nov 30th, 2010 (1:05 pm)

CorvetteGuy: VIN number 122 is in transit to our dealership! WooHoo!
    (can’t get a solid confirmation when it will arrive, but it will be soon…)

Is this yours or a customer’s?

Nov 30th, 2010 (1:11 pm)

Mitch: http://www.bidonthevolt.com

The first production Ford Model T was built in 1908 in Detroit, Michigan. The Model T had a 2.9 liter four-cylinder engine that produced 20 horsepower (HP) and had a top speed of 45 mph. Its purchase price was $825.00. Over ten thousand were sold in its first year, establishing a new record. Four years later the price dropped to $575.00 and sales soared. By 1914, Ford could claim a 48% share of the automobile market.

I wonder what the first Model T would go for in auction today.
    I would think the first Volt will have similar long term historic value.
    Whoever ends up with the winning bid for the first Volt being auctioned is one lucky individual.
    I hope it a collector who has enough money to buy a second one to drive around.

You hear me “Jay”?

NPNS!

RDOCA

RDOCA

Nov 30th, 2010 (1:14 pm)

Loboc: • Regular car customers – TechnoGeeks and/or Car fanatics. Electric drive will bring over a substantial number of these customers. And lots of these folks don’t give a ratzarse about environment or energy concerns.Just look at the comments here and on other blogs. There is a very diverse group interested in Volt that includes all of the above and more.  (Quote)  (Reply)

LoBoc
    I second your comment –Car guys have valid other reasons also.

John

John

Nov 30th, 2010 (1:27 pm)

kdawg:
    What ever happened to Fisker?I never hear about them anymore.

There is Fisker activity in Delaware at a re-tooled plant to build Fiskers – I think it’s one of the old GM Pontiac plants. Google that up – Fisker Delaware. A story on Edmunds from earlier in 2010 said it was ahead of schedule.

Jean-Charles Jacquemin

Jean-Charles Jacquemin

Nov 30th, 2010 (1:48 pm)

Noel Park:
    #39Not to worry pal, you get plenty of respect here.All the best.

/My opinion too, Noel,. great day above all sorry not to have time to express all my feelings.

Best regards,

JC NPNS

GM Volt Fan

GM Volt Fan

Nov 30th, 2010 (1:56 pm)

I just saw a news report on CNBC. This is without a doubt a HUGE day in the history of the automobile industry. The first Chevy Volt rolls off the assembly line. AWESOME. The vision of just a few years ago has now become REAL.

Bob Lutz and the whole Volt development team have done something very big for the world. They were the key people in this new evolution of the automobile. They should all be very proud. They should feel lucky to have been a part of a big project like this that will be remembered for decades to come. Well done!

Thank you GM for never giving up on the Volt and persevering through all the turmoil of the last few years and bringing the Volt to the world.

Nov 30th, 2010 (2:12 pm)

CorvetteGuy: VIN number 122 is in transit to our dealership! WooHoo!

That’s great news. Look’s like Guido has gotten the last technicality out of the way. Since they just had the ceremony, are you saying that GM had some cars ready for shipment before the ceremony?

Dmitrii

Dmitrii

Nov 30th, 2010 (2:13 pm)

Great work GM!

I never thought that GM will not fall behind the schedule.
    And I won free cup of tea – I and my friend had a debate about will the Volt be ever produced :)

Nov 30th, 2010 (2:17 pm)

Noel Park: Not to worry pal, you get plenty of respect here. All the best.

As an example, his analysis of the potential market for the Volt in February (I think) was one of the better daily articles.

Nov 30th, 2010 (2:21 pm)

Loboc: Regular car customers – TechnoGeeks and/or Car fanatics. Electric drive will bring over a substantial number of these customers. And lots of these folks don’t give a ratzarse about environment or energy concerns.

I disagree on this. I think all these reasons go into a mind blender where they all get mushed up together. IOW people who may be primarily the tech do care about the environment or their neighbor’s health. But the bottom line is that since any of these reasons are good ones they all reinforce one another.

sparks

sparks

Nov 30th, 2010 (2:35 pm)

Okay, quit the feuding you guys. In my opinion you both brought a lot of welcome “seasoning” and fun to this forum, and I for one am glad you both chose to contribute. It’s been a blast and it’s turning out to be everything we all hoped for, and more (with all the immediate awards and recognition). Hurrah!

Guido:
    ————
    Statik,
    1)This is the second time I’ve posted this,not the 12th time.
    2)The spirit of your post was retained, and consistent with the spirit of your posting over the last couple years.
    3)You faulting me for making “snide” comments seems to be a bit ironic, especially given
    your history on this site, as well as your Nissan Leaf site.
    4)I hear salt, pepper and even melted butter dramatically improve the taste of crow.

MarkMyMind

MarkMyMind

Nov 30th, 2010 (2:55 pm)

Firstly, congratulations on the Volt being officially launched today as well as having been voted green car of the year.

With that success in mind, GM can build on this accolade by being the car company whose mission is its message.

The domain engineofchange.com will crystallize and succinctly convey the essence of GM as being a radically changed company that “gets it” on many levels including the adoption and development of green technology.

The Volt encapsulates this success by being, for want of a better expression GM’s “green flagship”. Picture a Volt with the simple caption Engine of Change, and you will see that this expression summarizes all that the Volt represents for itself, and as the green flagship product of the new GM.

JoseL

JoseL

Nov 30th, 2010 (6:54 pm)

Amazing! I am blown away how cars have evolved. I couldn’t believe it’s only the first generation. Looks so advanced. I’m sure lots of dealerships are going to have lots of people wanting to test drive the Volt. We all know how first generation costs much just like the first CD player. In the coming years, the batteries are going to become smaller and last longer. Hopefully, maybe in 50 years, gas stations will start disappearing like the phone booths and so will our dependency in foreign oil. Wish I could live that long to see it.

scottf200

scottf200

Nov 30th, 2010 (7:34 pm)

Dave G:
    I would say there are 2 groups of motivation:
    • Energy Independence
    • Environment
    Environmental concerns include air quality, global warming, oil spills, etc.

“There appear to be three (3) leading reasons people are interested in buying a Chevy Volt, in order of importance:”

Chevy Volt: Reasons For Use and Cost Of Operation

P.S. Not really sure how you get to this page via site menus but I found it via google not that long ago.

AndyChuck

AndyChuck

Nov 30th, 2010 (10:52 pm)

As someone who has followed the development of the Volt from almost day one, I want to congratulate GM’s management, get-er-done engineers, and all those that had a hand in bringing the Volt to production. Thank you also to Lyle for your daily work. I’ve gone through all three website redesigns and am amazed at your commitment to so great a cause.

The Volt stands as a symbol to the ingenuity and tenacity of America.

brewster

brewster

Dec 1st, 2010 (12:15 am)

Congratulations to all those involved with the VOLT concept and now the reality!!
    Wonderful Webcast viewed live from ‘Down under’. Great to hear Oz will be a VOLT market 2012.

I’m hanging out to get one of these beauties – I imagine Gen2 at that time. Hopefully not too expensive for me.

I have an electricity Off-peak rate of $0.086AU to plug into (Our standard grid is 240V)

Coal makes up 75% of source for Electricity and we only produce half of the oil we consume.
    Premium petrol here is approx equiv $5.30US/gallon

Guido

Guido

Dec 1st, 2010 (7:07 am)

statik: I thought it was classy of GM to bring out Bob Lutz. That was the highlight for me.  (Quote)  (Reply)

The true height of hypocrisy ! You say this after all the insults and degrading comments you’ve made about Bob Lutz over the last 2 1/2 years ???

Dec 1st, 2010 (7:16 am)

Guido: statik: I thought it was classy of GM to bring out Bob Lutz. That was the highlight for me. (Quote) (Reply)

Guido

Guido

Dec 1st, 2010 (10:14 am)

nasaman: Guido, if you read everything Statik has posted here for the last several years (including about Bob Lutz), you’d realize Statik possesses a delightfully dark sense of humor with a strong sarcastic streak.I assure you Lutz himself is not offended by Statik —in fact, Lutz has a similar sense of humor!.  (Quote)  (Reply)

Nasaman, I’ve enjoyed most of your posts here. Perhaps many of Statik’s more mean-spirited posts predate your involvement on this site. Do you know Bob Lutz ? I think he’d be more likley to punch Statik in the nose ( I’m speaking metaphorically, of course ) than buy him a beer. Don’t be fooled by Statik’s sudden U-turn … he’s a revisionist.