Sep 28

GM Giving 15 Chevrolet Volts to Consumer Advisory Board. Guess Who’s a Member?

[ad#post_ad]After three years and nine months of constant blogging, my dream has finally come true. GM has announced they will be giving me a Chevrolet Volt to live with for three months. I will take possession at the end of October, prior to the official consumer launch.

I will be joining 14 other people from the Volt launch markets to participate in what is being called a Consumer Advisory Board. All of us are considered electric vehicle enthusiasts and advocates, some with strong voices and followings, and some even celebrities in their own rights. Many have also been previous participants in GM’s hydrogen fuel cell Equinox Project Driveway program or former EV-1 drivers.

We will be driving late-stage manufacturer validation build Chevrolet Volts as part of a captured test fleet. There is still time for our feedback to be used to help tweak the cars and to make sure the consumer purchasing and driving process goes smoothly.

In particular, GM will be using us to trial the 240-v home charging installation process.

“We are eager to learn as much as we can from potential customers about their experience with the Volt,” said Tony DiSalle, Chevrolet Volt marketing director. “We want to know their thoughts, impressions, and perceptions. This special group of electric vehicle experts gives us the opportunity to learn even more as we near market launch.”

All of us have of course volunteered to participate in this exclusive program and are thrilled to be a part of it. We are all residents either of New York, California or Washington DC and were chosen by by GM based on “location, knowledge of advanced automotive technology, and interest and awareness of electric vehicles.”

The full list of Advisory Board members are as follows:

Robert Becker – Electric vehicle enthusiast
Peter Corsell – Chief Executive Officer of GridPoint
Lyle Dennis – Electric vehicle enthusiast
Tom Kuhn – President, Edison Electric Institute
Andy Lipkis – President and Founder, TreePeople
Bill Nye – Celebrity scientist and electric vehicle enthusiast
Eric Rotbard – Electric vehicle enthusiast
Chelsea Sexton – Electric vehicle enthusiast
Colin Summers – Electric vehicle enthusiast
Mark Swain – Electric vehicle enthusiast
Kris Trexler – Electric vehicle enthusiast
Bryan Voltaggio – Celebrity chef and owner of Volt restaurant
Jim Woolsey – Former Director of Central Intelligence and Renewable Energy and Energy Security Investor
Brian Wynne – President, Electric Drive Transportation Association
Mike Maria – Electric vehicle enthusiast

We will be given training, cars, and a charger at no cost and in return for providing regular feedback including a weekly OnStar diagnostic call. We will also have local GM liaisons who will work directly with us to ensure every goes perfectly.

Our feedback will be used not only to improve the cars, buying, and ownership experience but will be useful to local utility companies to develop codes and standards for electric vehicle owners.

Our effort is considered a consumer extension of the current employee test fleet program underway.

Thank you GM for this wonderful gift. I wish you all could get one with me, but though that’s not in my control, you can be certain I will be posting all of my experiences right here for you to live them with me, and together we will continue to shape this car and this program, and begin to get our country off of oil.
[ad#postbottom]

This entry was posted on Tuesday, September 28th, 2010 at 3:00 pm and is filed under Volt Nation. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

BHallam

BHallam

Sep 28th, 2010 (3:07 pm)

Fantastic and congratulations. You earned it!

Sep 28th, 2010 (3:11 pm)

It’s great news for you — highest congratulations — but also great news for us, your readers.
    Now we are going to learn some interesting things, no doubt most good, but still with truthfulness a part of what’s reported. I’m delighted!

Jabroni

Jabroni

Sep 28th, 2010 (3:15 pm)

Maybe we will see Bill Nye driving his Volt around on the “Living with Ed” show…..Ed, of course, drives a Toyota RAV4EV….I think Bill also had a BMW miniE …

Sandy

Sandy

Sep 28th, 2010 (3:18 pm)

Congrats Lyle!!!!
    Lyle must be having a big smyle on his face now….you really deserve it. Please be honest in all your opinions about the performance and experience with the vehicle.
    Great Volt….Great website!!!!!!

Marcus R. (WL #5275)

Marcus R. (WL #5275)

Sep 28th, 2010 (3:32 pm)

Outstanding! Where do we line up for rides? :D

Jaisor

Jaisor

Sep 28th, 2010 (3:38 pm)

I’ve been quietly following your blog for about 2 years now and I have to say I am really happy you will get to spend time testing the production version. Your blogs have always been to the point, objective and informational. I am excited to read about your experiences with your Volt! Congrats!

BHallam

BHallam

Sep 28th, 2010 (3:38 pm)

Lyle, is there any chance that others on the Advisory Board are known to us here on GM-Volt by other names? I was hoping that perhaps nasaman, tagamet, corvetteguy, jackson, rashiid amul, to name a few, or some of the other long time voices on your website might also get the same chance as you.

Can’t wait to hear your feedback!

Anthony

Anthony

Sep 28th, 2010 (3:39 pm)

Congratulations Lyle, all your hard work the past three years has paid off.

Didn’t you already order a Volt though? Is it not set to arrive until after you have to give up your demo model?

Tom M

Tom M

Sep 28th, 2010 (3:39 pm)

Fantastic Lyle! If anyone deserves it, you do! You have done more to help promote the Volt than any person or entity.

Now I need to convince you to stop by my restaurant in Montclair so I can get an early test drive!

Chris C.

Chris C.

Sep 28th, 2010 (3:41 pm)

Hooray!

WopOnTour

WopOnTour

Sep 28th, 2010 (3:41 pm)

Great stuff Lyle!
    ENJOY!!
    Sincerely
    WopOnTour

Nick D

Nick D

Sep 28th, 2010 (3:45 pm)

This is amazing – and truly deserved. I have been following this site since 2007 and it blows my mind that we have not seen a day without a post.

Cant wait to hear more feedback on the car and hopefully put all the CS MPG talk to rest!

Sep 28th, 2010 (3:45 pm)

Well deserved! Bravo!

I want to see many hi-res photos and videos. I’m still telling you, a Volt Magazine should be your next move before someone beats you to it! ;)

LeoK

LeoK

Sep 28th, 2010 (3:51 pm)

Lyle – CONGRATULATIONS! I can only imagine how many smiles will be elicited during THREE MONTHS of VOLT driving before most others get a chance! Be sure to take a road trip to Connecticut! :-)

barry252

barry252

Sep 28th, 2010 (3:52 pm)

WAY COOL, Lyle!! Congratulations! As this blog initiator, I’m sure you’ve had quite an impact on GM’s design path since the concept was introduced. I really look forward to your reports.
    I only ask one question…..Would you please find out how big the gas tank is? It’ll be fun watching your and the others comment on CS mode. I’m sure your daily commute will have a completely different feel free of range worries.

Great Job and Thank You!

Mike-o-Matic

Mike-o-Matic

Sep 28th, 2010 (3:53 pm)

Congratulations Lyle!! Never has anything been more deserved.

I still think they should “forget” to take it back after the 3-month period is up! Or at least until they can replace that validation build with your production model!

By the way, that’s some nifty company you have there…
    EVChels, Bill Nye, and a former CIA director to name a few.

unni

unni

Sep 28th, 2010 (3:56 pm)

Congrats !!!

don’t we have Tom Hanks in CAB ?

Cab Driver

Cab Driver

Sep 28th, 2010 (4:14 pm)

And here I was thinking that your trip to Detriot yesterday for the Car of the Year semifinalist press conference was an iffy use of your time.

Boy, was I wrong!

Congrats both for you and your readers! You have really put in the work to deserve this reward.

Sep 28th, 2010 (4:16 pm)

That is really nice VIP treatment, and I wholeheartedly approve.

Fishmahn

Fishmahn

Sep 28th, 2010 (4:27 pm)

Congratulations, Lyle! Good to see your work here is getting some recognition.

As for me – like many others, I’m not a launch market (IL), so I’ll have to wait.

Mike.

ferrarimanf355

ferrarimanf355

Sep 28th, 2010 (4:31 pm)

Bill Nye also has a Nissan Leaf on order, I think. It’ll be interesting to hear him compare the two.

Pat

Pat

Sep 28th, 2010 (4:33 pm)

Super Go Volt Go GM …make quality cars & buy American products ..A new begining for GM & I hope a prosperous one …

James

James

Sep 28th, 2010 (4:36 pm)

Great news! Congrats to Lyle, as you rightly deserve more than this – and it will be very fun, of course, to hear your rave reviews of Volt’s performance. Will the CS mileage be a “don’t-ask-don’t tell” subject?

It’s puzzling why GM waited so long for this program. Of course, leading up to the late November, December release date, it will supercharge the anticipation level for sure.

GM chose avid EV enthusiasts all and Volt fans, so don’t expect much objectivity – just a lot of raving, praising and gushing – and tons of drooling by us EV enthusiasts living vicariously through these fortunate people.

It’s not realistic to expect critique and real-world evaluation from a bunch of reknowned EV enthusiasts. My favorite evaluation so far, albeit an early pre-production version, was the Automobile Magazine writer’s test drive at the Warren proving grounds this winter. It can be found online with a bit of searching. When true objective testers with an eye to what the common Joe buyer’s expectation and experience reveals – that’s when GM will truly get unfettered feedback.

Until then, let’s all rejoice – and again – Yay! For some three months of insights and vicarious living through the eyes and hands of our like-minded friends! Note- Bill Nye has thrown out a tiny critique or two of his first Volt impressions, so perhaps all will not be raves and flowing praise.

RECHARGE!

James

Fluke

Fluke

Sep 28th, 2010 (4:38 pm)

Lyle,
    Congrats. Hopefully Chevrolet will allow you to freely post on what you learn about the car while you have it prior to when its available to the general public (i.e. no strict non-disclosure agreement prior to official availability).

Velma Dinkley

Velma Dinkley

Sep 28th, 2010 (4:41 pm)

(click to show comment)

Dan W

Dan W

Sep 28th, 2010 (4:47 pm)

Fantastic news Lyle! You certainly deserve it, no doubt! I’m sure they will benefit greatly from your involvement and feedback. I can’t wait to hear about your experiences living with the car day in and day out.

Sep 28th, 2010 (4:52 pm)

Lyle:

Good For You Bud!!!!

I really am happy for you, and I can’t wait to read about your experiences!!!!

As others have said, I hope you get to tell us what is really going on, and not have to keep it to yourself until some date in the future set by the powers that be…..

Have fun with it!!!!!

:-)

Shameless plug:

GM, if you need another tester in a part of the country that is not in the initial release area, I gladly volunteer my services. Youngstown, Ohio has all types of road and weather conditions, and would be a terrific place for putting this car through it’s paces! Plus it would be great to show off the Volt to all the people that work at the Lordstown Plant that is producing the Chevy Cruze…… Just something to keep in mind ;-)

carcus3

carcus3

Sep 28th, 2010 (4:58 pm)

Congratulations Lyle.

Looking forward to more of your in depth and honest reporting!

/remember, if you cross your fingers while signing an NDA — it doesn’t count.

koz

koz

Sep 28th, 2010 (4:58 pm)

Muhammad

Muhammad

Sep 28th, 2010 (5:11 pm)

koz: Fantastic Lyle. You must have a big EV grin on now. I hope GM leaves you free to write it as you see it./RU friggin kidding, Bryan Voltaggio – Celebrity chef and owner of Volt restaurant is part of the program. On my way to the courthouse to come out Volt “Quadenta” Voltonamous.

LOL!

Congrats Lyle! We are all looking forward to the intimate reports.

LauraM

LauraM

Sep 28th, 2010 (5:14 pm)

Congratulations! Can’t wait to read your impressions.

By the way, if you ever drive your Volt into Manhattan, I’d love to know how the traffic affects the EV range…

Bob G

Bob G

Sep 28th, 2010 (5:15 pm)

Congratulations Lyle! I too am not in the launch market for the Volt. I could have ordered a Leaf here in Seattle, but I am holding out for a Volt.

Until then, I will commute in my imaginary Volt vicariously through your blog posts every day.

Sep 28th, 2010 (5:16 pm)

Congratulations Lyle. Wonderful opportunity. Keep us posted.

The scope of the advisory board is really interesting — great mix of folks in there. Hope you get a chance to meet all of them. At the very least seems like a good chance for some guest columns!

Bob G

Bob G

Sep 28th, 2010 (5:16 pm)

Sep 28th, 2010 (5:23 pm)

Wonderful news Lyle!
    Has GM stipulated any condition? Like you can’t drive the car to a Toyota plant? :)
    ????

NPNS!

Yoseppi

Yoseppi

Sep 28th, 2010 (5:29 pm)

Congats Lyle, after all this time, you deserve it. i eagerly look forward to reading your daily blogs once you take posession of an actual car. It’ll keep those of us who are not in initial launch markets happy till we can get one.

Lyle

Lyle

Sep 28th, 2010 (5:36 pm)

Thank you everyone!!

JohnK

JohnK

Sep 28th, 2010 (5:40 pm)

Lyle, please tell us that they have not sworn you to secrecy on CS mode MPG.

JohnK

JohnK

Sep 28th, 2010 (5:42 pm)

Now I bummed. I really would have liked to meet you and shake your hand while being just two blocks away from where I work! (I assume that you were at the RenCen at least part of the time).

JohnK

JohnK

Sep 28th, 2010 (5:44 pm)

From the looks of that picture, I’ll bet it was taken today. Probably at the Milford proving ground.

Danny Thai

Danny Thai

Sep 28th, 2010 (5:45 pm)

Congrats Lyle. Glad to see that GM lent you one of the most ground-breaking vehicles whose existence probably would not be without you.

Looking forward to your reports!

JohnK

JohnK

Sep 28th, 2010 (5:47 pm)

Bob G: Does anyone know where I can get one of those spiffy Volt T-shirts that Lyle is wearing?

Yes, I’ve already asked. In fact, it ought to be an option that we can order with the car, with autographs of some of the people on the line that built it plus some of the engineers and people we have read about here. Could come with a reasonable charge that is donated to charity.

koz

koz

Sep 28th, 2010 (5:48 pm)

Lyle: Thank you everyone!!I’m at the airport coming back from Detroit. To be clear there is no non disclosure, and I can and will talk about everything I see.And yes, I would love to take the car and meet up with folks …we’ll figure it out soon.  (Quote)

Fantabulous! Cannot wait to read your reports.

IQ130

IQ130

Sep 28th, 2010 (5:52 pm)

I am especially interested in the performance in CS mode. The ultimate goal for the Volt would be that in CS mode it drives as well as in EV mode under all circumstances. I wonder how close the Volt gets to this goal. For instance can you avoid the buffer from getting empty in CS mode.

Sep 28th, 2010 (5:56 pm)

Lyle: Thank you everyone!!I’m at the airport coming back from Detroit.To be clear there is no non disclosure, and I can and will talk about everything I see.And yes, I would love to take the car and meet up with folks …we’ll figure it out soon.

Congrats Lyle.

Dave

Dave

Sep 28th, 2010 (6:09 pm)

GM….thank you!

I could not possibly be more pleased. Dr. Lyle has kept all of us informed and entertained with Volt information since the beginning of the program. I am looking forward to future! It’s a new age!

CMull

CMull

Sep 28th, 2010 (6:10 pm)

Great Job Lyle! I can’t wait to read the blog. Will you be posting here as well?

joe

joe

Sep 28th, 2010 (6:10 pm)

I’m really excited for you, Lyle. Congratulation!! I’m glad GM is doing this!!

Sep 28th, 2010 (6:20 pm)

I’m sure the first thing Lyle will do for all of us is specific testing to determine the CS Mode MPG. Even if it is not official, inquiring minds still want to know. I would like to know if you find any benefit from the “Time-Shift” function of the Standard Audio System. (Probably the only feature of the Volt that has NEVER been discussed or demonstrated on this site.) It works like a television DVR, where you can be listening to “live radio” and press ‘Pause’ and the built in hard disk drive will begin to record, so that when you ‘Un-pause’ you don’t miss a thing… When I first read about it, I figure that might be a function that “Rush Limbaugh fans” or other commuters who regularly listen to talk radio would like. If you have an incoming cellphone call, you can pause your show until the call is over, then pick up where you left off… Let us know if that comes in handy for you.

EVNow

EVNow

Sep 28th, 2010 (6:24 pm)

Velma Dinkley: Lyle, sounds like government graft. I know my comment will not be popular but i call it as i see it. I enjoy your blog, read it three times a week. Thanks!  (Quote)

It is quite common for auto manufacturers to give the car to journalists/bloggers for extended periods. For eg. Mitsubishi has given an iMiEV to “evnut”.

mklcolvin

mklcolvin

Sep 28th, 2010 (6:26 pm)

Woohoo! Way to go, Lyle! I am SO jealous, but it couldn’t happen to a better guy. I’ve been getting depressed at all the stumbles that GM marketing/public relations has been making over the past year. This is a good sign that someone is actually thinking about rolling this out in a positive fashion there. I’m not in one of the initial rollout states (but I can reach one in about 15 minutes from my house. ;-) I’m really thinking about paying the 41K, but it’s hard to pull the trigger yet. I promised my wife that I’d wait a year to see if they’re any glitches, but don’t want to miss the boat, as in the EV1… I’m really looking forward to reports from both you and Chelsea. Keep us posted!

Slave to OPEC

Slave to OPEC

Sep 28th, 2010 (6:29 pm)

Awesome !

mikeinatl.

mikeinatl.

Sep 28th, 2010 (6:35 pm)

You all know what this means, of course.

Now there is an excellent chance we will find out how big the gas tank is.

greenWin

greenWin

Sep 28th, 2010 (6:35 pm)

Well DESERVED! And now Lyle – you are our eyes and ears. Please, lots of video if it’s not too much trouble.

Also – it would be very interesting to hear comments from passengers who take their first EV ride with you.

CONGRATULATIONS! I know a lot of people here are very happy for you!

bookdabook

bookdabook

Sep 28th, 2010 (6:38 pm)

This release to fans
    Provides free advertising
    The modern blog-way

Note to self
    Create website for
    Next big thing

Still
    Nothing comes
    Free

Work

Sep 28th, 2010 (6:41 pm)

Lyle: I just posted a suggestion to another of the lucky Volt recipients, Chelsea Sexton: “Chelsea you asked , ‘What fun things shall be done with it???’ Hmmm… If ever there was a ‘Chick’ –nay, a ‘HUNK’– car, a new Volt with you driving has to be IT! What you do with it on PCH, Santa Monica and/or Ventura Blvd is up to you, girl! HAVE FUN!!!

So Lyle, my little parable above to Chelsea might be helpful to you as well. Imagine a handsome young neurologist cruising around Times Square, down Broadway, and/or Avenue of the Americas. Uhhh, well, you can take it from there. :) :) :)

/ PS: I know a very good New York divorce attorney

Sep 28th, 2010 (6:41 pm)

Lyle: …there is no non disclosure,

Very good news. Many things can be said about how we got here. The important thing is we have arrived. Looking forward to hearing from the Advisory Board (VAB).

=D-Volt

Volt45

Volt45

Sep 28th, 2010 (6:45 pm)

This blog is a classic case of Carpe Diem …
    You saw the Volt coming and you seized the day!

Very few saw the crises headed our way and the Volt easily couldve been mired in the quick sands of crisis, corporate or national politics.
    Thanks for your vision and diligence, Lyle !

Sep 28th, 2010 (6:48 pm)

Excellent! We need to come up with some ‘tests’ for ya to perform.

I’m thinking (Given the interest. I don’t really care one way or the other.) that CS mode mpg @ 60mph and other speeds would be high on the list!

One I want to know is:
    1. Suck the tank dry
    2. Fill it up and tell us how much!

Above all.. Have a great time!

bookdabook

bookdabook

Sep 28th, 2010 (7:06 pm)

Loboc: One I want to know is:
    1. Suck the tank dry
    2. Fill it up and tell us how much!

Pull a Kramer. Fill it with volts and gas and then run it until it stalls out. We can’t wait for that result.

ClarksonCote

ClarksonCote

Sep 28th, 2010 (7:09 pm)

join thE REVolution

MikeD.

MikeD.

Sep 28th, 2010 (7:18 pm)

ClarksonCote:
    Meeting up would be great Lyle… I’ll happily drive some distance from Syracuse, just say the word!join thE REVolution

Same here, I wanted to meet up with Tom at his restaurant when we took delivery, haha. The tri-state area is hoppin!

rhellie

rhellie

Sep 28th, 2010 (7:18 pm)

Well deserved indeed! Congratulations Lyle and thank you for all the hours you’ve spent keeping the information flowing. I am sure there will be many more intereting narratives from you as you get to know your Volt.

America1st

America1st

Sep 28th, 2010 (7:22 pm)

This is when all your cousins come out of the wood works. Right cousin? Well done Lyle, and couldn’t happen to a better advocate for this car, this company, this country. Good for you, good for the Volt, good for GM, and definitely, this car is good for America.

CHEVY VOLT: American-made, American-Fueled.

America1st

America1st

Sep 28th, 2010 (7:23 pm)

I actually wish Lyle would run for public office. He actually still believes in something good for this country.

harrier1970

harrier1970

Sep 28th, 2010 (7:39 pm)

Lyle,

Outstanding! This is long overdue and could not have happened to a better person. Can’t wait to hear some of your future reports on how the car is performing!

Harrier1970

JEC

JEC

Sep 28th, 2010 (7:46 pm)

This is great news!

So we will soon have a real world answer to all things Volt.

1) gas tank size (size matters, at least to Nasaman…)
    2) The holy grail! CS mpg!
    3) How does it REALLY accelerate up a steep incline in CS mode?
    4) So much more…

Colin Summers

Colin Summers

Sep 28th, 2010 (7:47 pm)

Hello Lyle,

It was great to meet you in Detroit and I look forward to comparing notes since we’ll be driving the same car in very different conditions. I put a link to your blog on my blogroll at http://voltaday.com Do you have somewhere you could do the same?

Thanks,
    –Colin Summers

doubledown

doubledown

Sep 28th, 2010 (7:48 pm)

I saw similar article, with the same photo, on MotorTrend site. Unless I overlooked it, they name 14 of the 15 and guesss who they left out? WTF!

Richard

Richard

Sep 28th, 2010 (7:57 pm)

Grats…Now we need to trade one or two of them batteries in for UltraCap. If and when that tech ever gets developed far enough.

Hodginator

Hodginator

Sep 28th, 2010 (8:02 pm)

Maybe they can just give you the one you ordered early and you can keep it!

Barry252

Barry252

Sep 28th, 2010 (8:05 pm)

JEC: A big Volt meeting, where everyone can drool over Lyle’s new ride. How cool would that be?  (Quote)

I live near Baltimore. I’d visit NJ/NY in a flash to meet up with you guys!!

me here

me here

Sep 28th, 2010 (8:09 pm)

Test drives saturday’s at Lyle’s place?

Sep 28th, 2010 (8:09 pm)

250 volts

250 volts

Sep 28th, 2010 (8:10 pm)

Congrats Lyle ;) ……………………… but I knew you were a shoe in and my money is on you getting one for good. Perhaps at the end of this trial. :)

Sep 28th, 2010 (8:22 pm)

Rashiid Amul: And I will meet you somewhere. Since I am now unemployed, I have so spare time on my hands.

Very sorry to hear this Rashiid. That completely sucks. Our thoughts are with you. Hopefully this won’t be for long, assuming that this isn’t by choice of course.

This has been a very tough couple of years. Very hard. You have a lot of company unfortunately.

carcus3

carcus3

Sep 28th, 2010 (8:32 pm)

me here: Test drives saturday’s at Lyle’s place?

I’ll bring beer and traffic cones. (We’ll give those cupholders a ‘real’ stress test.)

/don’t worry Lyle,….. CaptJack will chaperone the activities

BigBird

BigBird

Sep 28th, 2010 (8:33 pm)

Am I too late to the party when I say “the volt is a fake, GM will never build it!”

Oh wait, what, Lyle got one?! No can’t be, b/c GM is in bed with big oil.

Hahaha where are the trolls now ‘eh?

Congratulations Lyle!!!!! You really deserve it :)

Vinayababu

Vinayababu

Sep 28th, 2010 (9:11 pm)

Congratulations Lyle , for this enviable but well earned position and wish you a happy long drive too

Sep 28th, 2010 (9:12 pm)

me here: Test drives saturday’s at Lyle’s place?

At $5.00 per test ride, he could make a tidy little profit in 3 months!

pjkPA

pjkPA

Sep 28th, 2010 (9:15 pm)

Congratulations… this is a very good jesture by GM. It will be nice to read the reports.
    I remember talking to Chelsea Sexton about renting the EV1 at LAX in 2000… I know she sure will have some interesting comparisons to the EV1. I remember the efforless power and how easy the EV1 coasted. The slightest downgrade increased speed much more than any other car I’ve driven.
    Have fun!

Vinayababu

Vinayababu

Sep 28th, 2010 (9:31 pm)

(click to show comment)

BLIND GUY

BLIND GUY

Sep 28th, 2010 (9:39 pm)

You deserve this opportunity and a free Volt at the end of the 3 months. May your constructive criticism help to evolve the Volt that the average American can afford and drive with full confidence and pride for American workmanship.

stuey81_in_australia

stuey81_in_australia

Sep 28th, 2010 (9:41 pm)

one month and counting……..should be around same time as my 2nd son will be born

great and exciting times!

stuey

SteveF

SteveF

Sep 28th, 2010 (9:45 pm)

Just saw the news. This is really great. I am so glad that Lyle will be getting the first Volts. I cannot wait to hear all the detail of his experience. Even though I currently cannot afford a Volt I can live the experience through Lyle.

BobS

BobS

Sep 28th, 2010 (9:45 pm)

Those 3 months are going to fly by.

ed

ed

Sep 28th, 2010 (9:52 pm)

I’m green with envy Lyle, but no one deserves it more than you. I will continue to hope that you will report to this site on your experiences and I also hope that others that purchase the Volt will give their feedback as well.

It would be nice if you could keep the group apprised of the situation regarding the second gen Volt if possible and other voltaic models. But for now GM has some Volts to sell. I’ve got a very good feeling about the Volt and predict it will soon become Americas car.

good one corvette, lol

BillR

BillR

Sep 28th, 2010 (10:01 pm)

Congratulations Lyle!

You have been elected Chairman of the Board. Advance to Boardwalk and reward each player with a test drive. If you pass Go, collect all the data that you can.

Looking forward to your reports.

EricLG

EricLG

Sep 28th, 2010 (10:03 pm)

(click to show comment)

Sep 28th, 2010 (10:09 pm)

EricLG: Similar thought, I’m wondering what NDA Lyle has to sign.

Sometimes you guys are so funny. He’s already said there isn’t one. But hey, if you want to bet …

Shaft

Shaft

Sep 28th, 2010 (10:29 pm)

Way to go Lyle! Awesome!

Maybe you’d like to take a trip to Toronto in January to check out CS mode on long trips and serious cold and snow, as well as a great city.

Oh yah … and lots of free electricity at my place :)

Ric Barline

Ric Barline

Sep 28th, 2010 (10:33 pm)

Lyle, do you realize what you have here? You could give rides at $5 each all day every day! Call it your “buy a Volt fund” … :~)

Enjoy brother! They couldn’t have picked a better person for this!!!

Mike-o-Matic

Mike-o-Matic

Sep 28th, 2010 (10:37 pm)

BigBird: Hahaha where are the trolls now ‘eh?

Yikes! I really wish you hadn’t asked.

It’s like saying “Beetlejuice” out loud three times.

beetlejuice.jpg

LazP

LazP

Sep 28th, 2010 (11:21 pm)

I just would like to add my congratulations Lyle.
    By the way my own interest was initiated by the former CIA director James Wolsey, one of the lucky recipient along with Lyle one of the Volts. His article in the Wall Street Journal (Jan 2007). “Gentlemen, Start your plug-ins.”
    Google it.

Ron

Ron

Sep 28th, 2010 (11:39 pm)

I echo the sentiments of many previous posts: VERY glad to hear this good news! I won’t see one at my dealer for probably 2 more years so if you happen to test CS mode by driving to Omaha, I would be honored to have you use my charging station and guest room.

omnimoeish

omnimoeish

Sep 28th, 2010 (11:58 pm)

Say hi to Bill Nye if you see him. I love that guy. I am a 26 year old General Science major and I still watch his show. I have every episode, all 100.

Russ

Russ

Sep 29th, 2010 (12:20 am)

Lyle, will there be any restrictions on your communicating with us about Volt performance? In particular, I am interested in your gas mode (charge sustaining?) MPG. Maybe, we can finally get a real world number. I am completely turned off by GM’s reluctance to divulge this performance parameter and absolutely refuse to consider buying a volt untill I know it. Many of us, myself included, would be operating the Volt primarily as a series hybrid, which it is in fact is.

Sep 29th, 2010 (12:50 am)

Mike-o-Matic: It’s like saying “Beetlejuice” out loud three times.

Very funny. +1

evchels

evchels

Sep 29th, 2010 (12:59 am)

As for the gas tank, another CAB member found that out today. He intends to post it shortly, so I won’t spoil his surprise. ;o)

IES

IES

Sep 29th, 2010 (3:14 am)

Well done Lyle.. looking forward to hearing about the CS mileage too. Although.. over here in the UK they are still talking about WHERE they are going to build our equiv. of this car! I may have to move to the US to get mine next year. (I own three condos down in Florida) ..Watch out for a sudden surge of ‘Limey’ visa applications!

Sep 29th, 2010 (3:56 am)

evchels, #99: I’ll reinforce what Lyle said about there being no gag order or restrictions on what we say about our experience in public. And you can bet that some of us will take full advantage of that, and will be posting our real world range, mpg, etc.

Thanks for this, Chelsea! And I’ll also add here something you said on FaceBook that caused me to laugh out loud: “….no non-disclosure or restrictions about what we say about our experience. And we are indeed all regular people- I have watched both Jim Woolsey and Bill Nye giggle like little boys when driving this car. Fun is fun, no matter who you are.” :) :) :)

Sep 29th, 2010 (4:08 am)

Chelsea’s mention above of the gas tank reminds me of the 26 written questions I gave to 3-4 key GM people at our Volt test drive in NYC this March, most of which came back void of answers. In retrospect I’ll probably again feel guilty of “premature exasperation”, but I’m gonna drag that list out anyhow to check off any answers as they may be provided by the CAB crew. (HeHe, I’ll get my urges satisfied yet!)

Sep 29th, 2010 (4:54 am)

evchels: As for the gas tank,… He intends to post it shortly,…

With CAB doing the field testing and reporting. This takes “official” off any numbers that come forward. A good way for GM to sidestep the “I thought you promised” and “not what you advertised” issues that may occur before official EPA ratings are released.

I expect the CAB to drive the Volt a bit more aggressively than normal. Just like Lyle did on his Tesla demo. The group should choose 1 or 2 drivers to feather foot the Volt for a good idea of maximum potential.

=D-Volt

Fluke

Fluke

Sep 29th, 2010 (5:29 am)

Check this out. I believe this is the tank size scoop from another CAB member (Colin Summers).

Jimza Skeptic

Jimza Skeptic

Sep 29th, 2010 (5:49 am)

So if Lyle gets the VOLT in late October for 3 months, does that mean the commercial deliveries won’t start until late January or Early February?

EricLG

EricLG

Sep 29th, 2010 (6:04 am)

(click to show comment)

Sep 29th, 2010 (6:09 am)

Fluke: Check this out.I believe this is the tank size scoop from another CAB member (Colin Summers).http://voltaday.com/2010/09/29/fuel-on-board/#more-122

Well that’s pretty definitive!

“The gas tank on the Volt is 9.3 gallons..”

I wonder if these not-really-totally-production cars have the on-computer owner’s manual?

mello

mello

Sep 29th, 2010 (6:25 am)

Congrats….So are you now going to Disney World

Sep 29th, 2010 (6:38 am)

Lyle,

Another question:

A ‘Board’ suggests organization.

How is the CAB organized?

Do you meet periodically and compare notes?
    Are you doing a combined blog?
    Any thoughts about creating an open q/a or faq?
    Do you have formal meetings with GM personnel?

Or, are you just a loose collection of independent (no collaborative effort) individuals with individual GM handlers (er.. advisers)?

Sep 29th, 2010 (6:46 am)

Loboc: “The gas tank on the Volt is 9.3 gallons..”

=D-Volt

JohnK

JohnK

Sep 29th, 2010 (6:58 am)

mello: JohnK

EVERYWHERE is Disney World if you are driving a Volt. :)

Schmeltz

Schmeltz

Sep 29th, 2010 (7:09 am)

Just wanted to say congratuulations to Lyle–they couldn’t have given this to a nicer person! I look forward to reading all of your impressions of the car. Don’t hold back!

Again, congrats!

garrytman

garrytman

Sep 29th, 2010 (7:11 am)

Rashiid Amul:
    Congrats Lyle.
    And I will meet you somewhere.Since I am now unemployed, I have so spare time on my hands.

Rashid, Yesterday I was looking for building codes in CT for EVSE installations and ran across this job posting on the GE website. It’s for a Web Application Architect for a EVSE project located in Plainville. A bonus is they are currently installing 4 Wattstations in their employee parking lot. Link to posting

LeoK

LeoK

Sep 29th, 2010 (7:12 am)

CorvetteGuy: At $5.00 per test ride, he could make a tidy little profit in 3 months!  (Quote)

A subtle little way for Lyle to pay for his own VOLT! :-)

Kevin R

Kevin R

Sep 29th, 2010 (7:33 am)

Congratulations Lyle. I’ve placed my order and have been told to expect delivery in March or April. Can’t wait to see what you have to say about your daily experiences with the Volt, good or bad.

PeteA.

PeteA.

Sep 29th, 2010 (7:40 am)

Congrats to you Lyle!

Slightly off topic here, but I checked out the link to Colin Summer’s blog (fellow CAB member with Lyle). See Post #68. His recent post notes that the Volts gas tank is 9.3 gallons, but he doesn’t site a source on this. Is this already common knowledge? Does anyone know if it is accurate? Lyle, was this information released to you CAB members in Detroit? Just curious. If accurate, the CS MPG, assuming a CS range of 300 miles would be around 32.25 MPG.

Mike D.

Mike D.

Sep 29th, 2010 (7:53 am)

PeteA.: Congrats to you Lyle!Slightly off topic here, but I checked out the link to Colin Summer’s blog (fellow CAB member with Lyle). See Post #68.His recent post notes that the Volts gas tank is 9.3 gallons, but he doesn’t site a source on this.Is this already common knowledge?Does anyone know if it is accurate? Lyle, was this information released to you CAB members in Detroit?Just curious.If accurate, the CS MPG, assuming a CS range of 300 miles would be around 32.25 MPG.

While that number is ok, and not bad by any means, it is still a bit irrelevant, as MPG will change depending on the trip you take. It will only be 32.25mpg when you run off the gas engine completely, which you shouldn’t be doing with the Volt. CorvetteGuy’s chart is a great example of this. The MPG is infinite if you are taking a 40 mile or less trip. It is in the hundreds if it is a 60 mile trip, etc. If you are going to be running the car on the generator all the time, you probably just shouldn’t buy one, as it is a waste.

JDan

JDan

Sep 29th, 2010 (8:03 am)

Congratulations, and well deserved. I look forward to all the pictures, stories, arts and charts. Maybe you could give us a better (real world) idea on how the iPhone/Droid app works? This is very exciting. Maybe GM-Volt could have its own app? ;) Also, it will be fun reading about how other people you encounter react to the Volt. Fun, Fun, Fun :D

joe

joe

Sep 29th, 2010 (8:20 am)

To really have the bragging rights of leapfrogging the Prius’s technology, GM has to equal or surpass the Prius MPG in the ICE mode. If not, they will be a public backlash that GM will regret. Most people want a car that can be used for long trips that gets great gas mileage, and if it can drive on battery on short trips, they will pay extra for a car like the Volt. But, if the Volt get’s only in the 30′s in the ICE mode, it will be a tough sell. That’s reality!! All this hype will die down if the Volt only get’s in the 30′s in ICE mode and that’s why I predict the Volt will surprise many in a positive way. I hope so!!

EVdevotee

EVdevotee

Sep 29th, 2010 (8:21 am)

Godspeed, Lyle in all your Volt traveling! Always enjoy ur insightful posts.

Jim Mbongo

Jim Mbongo

Sep 29th, 2010 (8:25 am)

Congratulations, and well deserved Lyle!
    Please keep us informed!

Tom M

Tom M

Sep 29th, 2010 (8:27 am)

No post today? Well it makes sense. Lyle is probably passed out somewhere after partying all night when he found out he would be getting a volt in a few weeks. ;)

He’s earned it.

Sep 29th, 2010 (8:38 am)

joe: To really have the bragging rights of leapfrogging the Prius’s technology, GM has to equal or surpass the Prius MPG in the ICE mode. If not, they will be a public backlash that GM will regret. Most people want a car that can be used for long trips that gets great gas mileage, and if it can drive on battery on short trips, they will pay extra for a car like the Volt. But, if the Volt get’s only in the 30’s in the ICE mode, it will be a tough sell. That’s reality!! All this hype will die down if the Volt only get’s in the 30’s in ICE mode and that’s why I predict the Volt will surprise many in a positive way. I hope so!!

No they don’t. All Volt has to do is post higher mpg numbers on the EPA sticker.

The ‘combined’ number will be double Prius in my swag. In fact, Lutz stated publically that the combined will be in the ‘three digit’ range.

I’d venture to guess that 90% of the driving public has no idea how to calculate their mpg average. Even people that post here say incorrect stuff about using gallons instead of tanks of gas to calculate their mpg. (And people that say their Prius gets 120mpg average are damn liars!)

DonO

DonO

Sep 29th, 2010 (8:39 am)

Lyle, will you also be given access to the myvolt Chevrolet website??

Rob

Rob

Sep 29th, 2010 (8:42 am)

Lyle, to call you an electric vehicle “enthusiast” is the understatement of the year – I think GM should give you a Volt outright, no strings attached!!

xiaowei1

xiaowei1

Sep 29th, 2010 (8:44 am)

Just to add to the long list, Congratulations.

having made yourself the de facto ambassador to the Volt for so many years, GM would not have thought too hard on choosing you to have early access to the car we all wanted to be driving 3 years and nine months ago when you started this blog.

MetrologyFirst

MetrologyFirst

Sep 29th, 2010 (8:44 am)

Congratulations Lyle!

Well deserved. Your tireless efforts here have not gone unnoticed.

I think your reports on the Volt are going to put many issues to rest because I think people respect your opinion and approach.

I also think the car will perform better than many here expect.

EricLG

EricLG

Sep 29th, 2010 (8:47 am)

(click to show comment)

Anthroprogenic Man

Anthroprogenic Man

Sep 29th, 2010 (8:52 am)

(click to show comment)

JeremyK

JeremyK

Sep 29th, 2010 (8:54 am)

Vinayababu: Caution,I am afraid , Lyle will haveconfidentiality conditions attached to this contract and so he may not be free to divulge any of his negative observations here.

Doubtful…
    The Volt will be launching within weeks of Lyle receiving the car….so the information will be out there at some point in Nov. anyway.

banerian

banerian

Sep 29th, 2010 (9:07 am)

Come to Atlanta Lyle – lunch at the best bbq place in the world is on me! Or a steak dinner – you can call it. Please please please!!!

Sep 29th, 2010 (9:08 am)

EricLG: the drive cycle required to get that result

If you do that pulse-and-glide crap on a public road (especially in Texas), you will get run over or shot!

Mike D.

Mike D.

Sep 29th, 2010 (9:26 am)

Check out ChevroletVoltage for info on a 12 city test drive tour starting the 2nd week in October!

Seems to be a problem with signing up for the NYC event November 5th – 7th though, it is not on the drop down for the sign up page…I’ll wait and see what happens.

LRGVProVolt

LRGVProVolt

Sep 29th, 2010 (9:52 am)

EricLG: you said 120 mpg is impossible,

You didn’t read what he said; He said “people”. One person hypermileing does not mean that others would want to drive the way that one individual drives. So no big thing, one person getting so high mileage.

The Volt will far exceed 120mpg on average for many people!

<b?<a?Happy trails to you 'til we meet again.

Sonoma Richard

Sonoma Richard

Sep 29th, 2010 (9:53 am)

Well done, and well deserved. This group should help considerably in the evolution of the Volt.

EricLG

EricLG

Sep 29th, 2010 (10:00 am)

Loboc:

Depends how it is done. I mostly glide to red lights and am pretty sure no one is the wiser except my mpg display. However, no one said that 120 mpg is likely — or even possible — in typical city driving. I only said that 120 mpg has been achieved, meaning round-trip driving.

Do you grasp the difference yet ? It is the same as GM saying that AER can be 50 miles. Either both numbers are “lies,” or neither.

EricLG

EricLG

Sep 29th, 2010 (10:05 am)

LRGVProVolt:
    The Volt will far exceed 120mpg on average for many people!<b?<a?Happy trails to you ’til we meet again.

Sigh.

I do not know, or care, what you or any other “people” will do. All I said was that Prius has maxed out at 120 mpg, and Loboc was sure it was impossible. A hypermiler will no doubt astound some day with Volt AER, say 50 miles. I have little doubt the event will be cheered by all 200 Volt fans, even though they see 30 for the most part, and a couple of drivers will honestly report 45 mile AER routinely.

Mike D.

Mike D.

Sep 29th, 2010 (10:16 am)

From Colin’s blog about the gas tank size:

“One of the cars I drove at the Milford Proving grounds was an executive’s own car. She had already been commuting in it for a couple weeks. On the display (I love to play with the displays) it said: “Lifetime mileage: 93.1mpg” I think that’s what people are going to be seeing. And I hope to do a lot better than that.”

Very encouraging after a few weeks of what I can assume is real world driving.

neutron

neutron

Sep 29th, 2010 (10:17 am)

joe:
    To really have the bragging rights of leapfrogging the Prius’s technology, GM has to equal or surpass the Prius MPG in the ICE mode. If not, they will be a public backlash that GM will regret. Most people want a car that can be used for long trips that gets great gas mileage, and if it can drive on battery on short trips, they will pay extra for a car like the Volt.But, if the Volt get’s only in the 30’s in the ICE mode, it will be a tough sell. That’s reality!! All this hype will die down if the Volt only get’s in the 30’s in ICE mode and that’s why I predict the Volt will surprise many in a positive way. I hope so!!

Plus one to Joe. I think he has it correct. The VOLT is a breakthrough car. In this country distances are large and the only electric car that makes real sense is the VOLT. The Prius showed electric motors in cars have a place. They used ICE first with electric assist. The VOLT has reversed that and is a great change. GM can be the big leader and innovator with a 40 mile battery and a big MPG number in ICE (CS mode). With a low number the VOLT’s advantage is diminished.

neutron

neutron

Sep 29th, 2010 (10:26 am)

Congrats to LYLE for being part of this elite group! The trust Lyle has built up with great reporting on this site has paid off.
    I am looking forward to getting answers to many of the questions GM seems to have been ducking or vague in answering.

We know you will enjoy this car and will love share to your experiences with with us.
    And we look forward to being your “virtual passengers” on every trip you take. ;+}

evchels

evchels

Sep 29th, 2010 (10:44 am)

Nasaman- I’ve missed any posting of your 26 questions, but would love to see them. And, I’m sure several of us would be happy to see what others we can answer if people want to contribute them. We’re still sorting how we’ll distribute info on our experiences- because there’s no specific requirement on GM’s part in terms of public interaction for us (they don’t require that we promote or talk about the car, etc.) there’s no “official” place for us to do so. Obviously much of it will happen here, but some of us have our own blogs, facebook, twitter, etc., and GM will allow us to post things to Voltage and their other channels. No doubt each of us will do it differently- but a centralized list of questions somewhere that everyone can chime in on would be a great idea.

Dave K- you’re right that our numbers won’t be official, and I think that’s one of their benefits; ours will be utterly “real world” experiences. But there will also be a bunch of GM employees driving these cars, and no doubt they’ll do some reporting on that, as well as whatever official numbers there are. Any of them are just individual data points, but together they ought to provide a useful picture.

As to right feet ;o)… yes, some of us are more natively aggressive drivers, but we also know how to drive efficiently (I used to hold some of the longest range records in the EV1 program; of course, the joke was that I held the shortest ones too!) And some of us are natively very conservative drivers- Jim W always tells me of insanely high mpg numbers he gets in his PHEV Prius. And obviously all of our numbers will be tinted with our individual terrain, traffic and weather conditions, etc. Personally, I intend to do all sorts of driving to see what I can learn, and suspect others will do the same. And there’s already talk of the competitive streak that exists in the group, so I’ve no doubt that we’ll cover all the various bases between us. But to the last point, if there’s something you want us to try out, let’s add it to the list.

CAB organization- so far, the only structured forms of feedback and communication are at least weekly feedback through OnStar of all of our driving data (collected automatically) and anything we volunteer in terms of feedback, concerns and observations. We can also report anything at any time on top of the weekly requirement. There will also be conference calls with the GM team, and we’ve been encouraged to submit any feedback directly to those employees on an informal basis. Seems to be a balance of keeping a really open door for letting us chime in without making the official requirements too onerous. There is no official way that we are required to communicate with the public or each other, but this is obviously a community-oriented technology, and we’re proving to be a social group even in the 48 hours we’ve been together. Many of us already knew (or knew of) most of the others, and we’ve been chatting about if and how we want to disseminate information, both privately amongst ourselves and publicly. You guys will obviously hear about anything that we decide, and we’re open to suggestions. We don’t actually get cars for a month so we have a little bit of time, but we also know these three months will pass really quickly, and want to make the most of it.

Re Colin and the gas tank- the size was never said in any presentations to us, but our test driving at Milford was done with several of the Volt engineers, so I assume he learned it directly from one of them.

srschrier

srschrier

Sep 29th, 2010 (10:56 am)

Tremendous and fun news Dr.Dennis! Looking forward to your commentaries after your Volt arrives in New York.

James

James

Sep 29th, 2010 (11:04 am)

evchels: “…But to the last point, if there’s something you want us to try out, let’s add it to the list.CAB organization- so far, the only structured forms of feedback and communication are at least weekly feedback through OnStar of all of our driving data (collected automatically) and anything we volunteer in terms of feedback, …”

Chels -

:) RECHARGE!

James

evchels

evchels

Sep 29th, 2010 (11:08 am)

James:
    Chels -I’d love to see the engineer’s eyes pop and jaws drop when they catch your OnStar datastream after a Volt tear at a local track!RECHARGE!James

Well, considering that several of them have accompanied me on one test drive or another, I highly doubt they’d be surprised to see that data stream! But I think you might just have added a new activity to my list of things to do with this car- track time! ;o)

Chaim

Chaim

Sep 29th, 2010 (11:47 am)

Congratulations, Lyle. You deserve this honor.

And, yes, I’m jealous. But I’ll get over it when I get my Volt.

kent beuchert

kent beuchert

Sep 29th, 2010 (12:11 pm)

The utility companies are in something akin to those in battle who must make decisions with
    little intelligence of what lies ahead. Charging stations for low input rates, such as the Volt (and any other battery packs) is not the same technology required for gas-station length charging,
    due (hopefully) in the not too distant future. I hope, (for once in this stupid country) that at least they can establish standards that will allow forward compatibility with the very different future battery charging requirements. It’s all a matter of how many amps are behind those 240 volt
    plugs. And the builtin capacity of those plugs and receptacles. After installing a new sink in which I learned that neither the drain hole’s position, nor depth, or the faucet hookups are standardized, I revisited my disgust with the apparent inability of our government to perform those tasks that they have a duty to perform. They’re too busy disregarding public opinion and lining the pockets of those who will, in return, send them back into office. Representative governments are undemocratic and simply don’t work. Period.

Larry McFall

Larry McFall

Sep 29th, 2010 (12:33 pm)

I am sure the Advisory Board will conduct some very important information and take the task serious of obtaining consumer information. I will be looking forward to the members thoughts on the experience.

What is the critera that the Board has established for this practical application?

Let us get the Volt on the street soon. Good Luck!

MuddyRoverRob

MuddyRoverRob

Sep 29th, 2010 (12:40 pm)

Dave K.: 9.3 is a good number. This meets the needs of Volt owners who tend to drive long haul. A smaller tank would have raised criticism. Many of us will drive for one month on one gallon. Good to have extended range capability. One month of driving equals about 1000 miles. This means that for many the Volt will clock 1000 mpg. Another good number. =D-Volt  (Quote)

Right on the money. the CS mileage doesn’t matter if you are running on batteries.

/Awesome and well deserved Lyle!

Tall Pete

Tall Pete

Sep 29th, 2010 (1:20 pm)

I just want to point out that it’s been a long time since a GM car created so much buzz around it. If ever.

I also believe that it’s the first time GM decides to have a Consumer Advisory Board for a new car about to launch – or at least it’s the first time I hear such a thing. Great move, GM. If you need the same in Canada, please consider me. (lol)

Congratulations to Lyle, of course. As usual, good work is rewarded with more work to do :-)

BobW

BobW

Sep 29th, 2010 (2:45 pm)

I suppose we’ll have to wait for the tear-down video until someone actually buys one…

Sep 29th, 2010 (3:05 pm)

Happy for you, Lyle.

Sep 29th, 2010 (4:05 pm)

To borrow a phrase from Ted in Fort Meyers,

I’m so happy I could bust.

Red HHR

Red HHR

Sep 29th, 2010 (7:00 pm)

Good News!!!
    I love it when a plan comes together…

Cheers

/let me(us) know how the heater(heat exchanger) works

crew

crew

Sep 29th, 2010 (8:11 pm)

Whatever you guys do, please don’t show us your dance video!!!!!
    (although it would be hilarious funny)

Sep 29th, 2010 (9:02 pm)

EricLG: It is the same as GM saying that AER can be 50 miles. Either both numbers are “lies,” or neither.

GM= designer and manufacturer
    troll = not

See the difference?

Matt

Matt

Sep 29th, 2010 (10:46 pm)

Congrats man! ya post lots of pictures and info about it. Id like to get one myself in the next 2-3 years

Vinayababu

Vinayababu

Sep 30th, 2010 (5:51 am)

82.vinayababu
    Caution, I am afraid , Lyle will have confidentiality conditions attached to this contract and so he may not be free to divulge any of his negative observations here.

130.JeremyK
    Doubtful…

My good lord ! they have given-12 for a simple observation of fact in my post . Many guys here are emotionally so attached to Volt that they don’t want to see any thing negative here.

It is now a general practice for manufactures of new concept cars to give pr-production cars for consumer testing before sales. CAB of GM is nothing more than this.
    GM would like to know what these gentlemen found that GM Engineers have not come across and if there is any certainly they want to correct it if possible before the car reaches the buyers.So it is only natural that GM would like not to publicize any such problem that may come out during the CAB trial to prevent any bad news affecting the sales of Volt.

Here the most important part GM would like to know will be about the software that drives the car which can be fine tuned at any time just before the Car is going out of the assembly plant.We know that Volt is going to be an extremely complicated fly by wire system for any car going for production.

see a an article for more on CAB

StevePA

StevePA

Sep 30th, 2010 (6:18 am)

Lyle – a (somewhat belated for this thread) “congrats!” to you on this initial reward for all the hard work you (and your family) have put in on the Volt awareness campaign over the years.

Truly a visionary – but one willing to do the hard work needed to help others become confident enough to make that vision a reality.

Huzzah!

GM Volt Fan

GM Volt Fan

Sep 30th, 2010 (8:29 am)

That’s awesome Lyle. In just a few weeks, the Volt is all yours to drive any way you want, anywhere you want … without a GM employee having to ride along with you.

Lyle has definitely earned it because of this Volt blog. I try to at least read the news posts on here once a day. I’ve been coming here since about the 2nd year Lyle got it going. I think this blog has made a significant contribution to educating people about the Volt and EVs in general. Lyle is kind of a de facto member of the “Volt development team” … as a director of internet marketing or something.

I’m looking forward to reading about all of Lyle’s driving impressions in the next month or so. Maybe he can do a video report like “Motor Trend” or “Car and Driver” magazine would do.

Justin Dutoit

Justin Dutoit

Oct 1st, 2010 (1:26 am)

Hey. Good on you Lyle, thanks for your work over the last 4ish years, even though launch is 6 weeks off.
    You’ve done something good for an important new car and new type of car. Cheers.

J.

stuey81_in_australia

stuey81_in_australia

Oct 1st, 2010 (10:24 am)

8 +136

stuey81_in_australia Says

Sep 5th, 2010 (7:23 am) .Me Here: Shame Shame on GM, Lyle should have got a free one! Optioned up for nothing, a loaner until the black console was available, his choice of #, SOMETHING! (Quote)
    i agree, c`mon gm, Lyle has put in thousands of hours work promoting you and your volt from conception to birth, everyone who has ever read this blog +1 this post as we both know GM reads it very closely and lets get Lyle his free volt he deserves

i think GM read this and reacted!

well done GM, great choice on giving lyle a volt and thanks everyone for voting
    possibly the most voted on post ever!

thanks again lyle, keep it going post launch and beyond!

stuey

Dan Petit

Dan Petit

Oct 2nd, 2010 (11:44 am)

How about a *daily* call to OnStar personnel with ideas?

Congrats, Lyle. We would not have had so much enjoyment of the
    journey without your work.

Dan.