May 11

Report: Chevy Volt May Soon be Powered by Google

[ad#post_ad]The Chevrolet Volt will come with GM’s latest 9th generation OnStar system already installed when it launches later this year.

OnStar allows drivers to connect directly to a Michigan-based command center for live interaction.  Directions and information can be downloaded into the car, and diagnostic reports can be uploaded to the center.

The new generation will have smartphone interfacing functionality, letting users control their car and receive signals from it via their smartphones.

As we have seen, the Volt will make extensive use of this through mobile phone apps that show real-time state-of-charge, time remaining to full charge, and fuel economy among other things.  Whether the car is plugged in can be shown and drivers can choose to receive an alert if they have forgotten to plug in.  The owner will also be able to remotely turn charging on or off, and for the killer app, remotely turn on  the cabin HVAC to condition the car from grid energy while its still plugged in.

But it gets better than that!

Reports are now indicating that GM is in negotiations with Internet search giant Google to form an OnStar partnership for Google-powered cars.

In the deal, which could be announced this summer, GM cars including the Volt could be deployed with the Android operating system, that Google has developed for smart phones.

The technology would allow the cars to seamlessly pair with a myriad of smartphones and other electronic devices as well as to pull and push data  from Google’s massive server farms.

Google maps, real-time data, voice and search services would then become part of the vehicular experience, along with access to online entertainment.  Undoubtedly, Google will also gladly store all of your trip information for you including drive routes, destinations, time courses, traffic patterns, fuel efficiency and who knows what else.  According to Motor Trend, Google data and the Android operating system would simply replace OnStar by making it obsolete.

The technology could expand functions beyond the vehicle too.

“We’re aggressively working right now to see how we can extend the OnStar business even beyond automotive,” said Chris Preuss, GM’s vice president of OnStar.

Of course all of this data could lead to driver distraction, a concern GM is serious about preventing.

Source (CNN) and (MotorTrend)
[ad#postbottom]

This entry was posted on Tuesday, May 11th, 2010 at 6:14 am and is filed under Features, OnStar. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

May 11th, 2010 (6:17 am)

I love technology.
    This is very sweet. But Google will be storing information about my travels? That sounds too much like Big Brother to me. Still cool though.

ECO_Turbo

ECO_Turbo

May 11th, 2010 (6:24 am)

Since most Google stuff is advertiser supported, maybe the service will be free of charge. 8-)

May 11th, 2010 (6:27 am)

Questions:
    1) Do I have to buy an OnStar subscription with the Volt?
    2) If so, what happens if I don’t pay it?

Tibor

Tibor

May 11th, 2010 (6:27 am)

I hope we are going to be able to add Android apps to the car!
    I would love to have an app that allows me to send small messages to other Volt owners I meet while driving. Like a twitter to “@that car in front of me” :)

JohnK

JohnK

May 11th, 2010 (6:28 am)

I really don’t like the sound of this. I’ve come to trust OnStar. I do NOT trust Google that much. They are the new Microsoft in my mind, actually worse. Microsoft does not spy on me. Only thing worse would be “powered by Facebook”.
    Sorry for sounding so negative.

Jay

Jay

May 11th, 2010 (6:28 am)

Google in my car? I love my Droid but are we talking about a *required* monthly Internet subscription fee here? If so, I’m out.

JohnK

JohnK

May 11th, 2010 (6:34 am)

Dave G: Do I have to pay a monthly fee for OnStar?

John W

John W

May 11th, 2010 (6:40 am)

The Chevy Volt will be the best car ever created. And after this BP mess it can’t come a day too soon.

Eco-Turbo

Eco-Turbo

May 11th, 2010 (6:49 am)

Maybe GM should sell the whole Volt division to G00Gle, They might find a way to produce more G-Cars now!

voltaholic

voltaholic

May 11th, 2010 (6:55 am)

Google maps is a fav. Google street view would also be very useful..combined with the nav screen makes a killer “find your way across america” system. Locate all the gas stations so that you could drive past them and smile the voltsmile.

May 11th, 2010 (6:57 am)

Be well and believe,

Let’s Just Get The VOLTS ‘ Wheels On The Road!!****NPNS

joe

joe

May 11th, 2010 (6:58 am)

I thought GM missed the boat when Ford got Microsoft, but Google is even a better choice!

tom w

tom w

May 11th, 2010 (7:03 am)

BillR

BillR

May 11th, 2010 (7:16 am)

If you drive 40 miles and deplete the battery, Google will search for the engine and start it up.

If that fails, you can use the Android that comes with the application to push the car to a service station.

Of course, AutoPilot is sure to follow.

250px-Airplane_screenshot_Haggerty_Nielsen.jpg

Daniel Bigham

Daniel Bigham

May 11th, 2010 (7:17 am)

Ohhh man. Did I mention two of my passions are the Volt and voice-enabled computer interfaces? Put them together with some Google magic and I think I might faint.

Brian

Brian

May 11th, 2010 (7:19 am)

So how much extra per month is this going to cost me. Just give me a good reliable Volt to drive. Am I going to have to have ONSTAR to drive and use the car. Is my every move going to be tracked recorded and hacked? Search the web while I drive. Hmmm!! I don’t know about the rest of you but I just drive my cars and listen to the radio. Seldom do I even talk on the phone. I just don’t trust those who gather data on me to have my best interesting at heart. I can easily see a future where all this data gathered in my behalf could come back to haunt me. Think about it, drive time, where you drive, when you drive, when you charge, how much you charge. Lets see who could use this info and for what?? Hmmmmmm!!

firehawk

firehawk

May 11th, 2010 (7:20 am)

(click to show comment)

Rooster

Rooster

May 11th, 2010 (7:23 am)

Dave G: Questions:1) Do I have to buy an OnStar subscription with the Volt?2) If so, what happens if I don’t pay it?  (Quote)

Cheers!

crew

crew

May 11th, 2010 (7:24 am)

Something tells me that the GM engineers have been jumping up and down with the Volt to finally have a car that can show off their talents.

The steps to the Volt have been there for us to see for a while but it took Lutz to poke the board in the eyes to say “What the hell have you been looking at? We can do this!” (build a relevant car, that is).

No small feat for inside this company.

EV1, mild hybrid pickups and cars, two mode hybrid, high hp/liter motors, years of experience powering 50 kw generators, a wonderful dedicated OnStar system, Saturn and NUMMI labor contracts and quality control, and so forth. Recently, they’ve been using the Peter Principle and either finding talent or getting rid of dead weight. The idiots in marketing (230 mpg? how can you rate a car for gas consumption but only if you DON’T use gas) are on their way out.

I have to give credit to the engineering department for stepping up into the limelight. It took a lot of secret development of the Volt components to enable a successful campaign for transparency. Not too many people want to put their heads on the block in the middle of town. It looks like the old timers within GM are learning something and might not be too quick to off their heads.

Google represents a dramatic step in transforming OnStar. Once OnStar people accepted bluetooth (it really must have hurt to pay bluetooth and effectively give up the Verizon phone business) the door was open to share the network and create additional revenue streams. There is the opportunity to create a price-point and network availability that people don’t NEED to be sold on.

There is a sleeping giant here.

Can we clone Bob Lutz? We need more piss and vinegar at GM.

May 11th, 2010 (7:31 am)

From the article: “Of course all of this data could lead to driver distraction, a concern GM is serious about preventing.”
    ————————
    Even if GM doesn’t display the data on their LCD screen, users will stilll use their GPS navigation stystems, or Smart phones, so what’s the difference. Just put it on the screen.

(i’m noticing a theme, android.. transformers…;-) )

statik

statik

May 11th, 2010 (7:37 am)

JohnK: The way it has worked so far is that it is an annual subscription fee of about $300, with the first year for free. At the time of purchase of our last car we had the option of adding two additional years for a discount. There are some reduced levels that are cheaper – that give you only emergency assistance, and one that gives you x minutes of phone service through the car.  (Quote)

Tagamet: On Star comes free for the first year and has a monthly fee after that. I almost bought an Android phone just last week (lost my other cell), but *it* has a MANDATORY $30/month fee for internet access. If both are required, it starts to add up!I’m as concerned about even hands-free driving being distracting. The insurance studies back that up. Personally, I won’t use a phone when driving, if I can avoid it. JMO.Be well and believe,TagametLet’s Just Get The VOLTS ‘ Wheels On The Road!!****NPNS  (Quote)

Rooster: I just purchased a Buick Enclave that has On-Star. The first year of service is free, then I have to pay for the service — just like XM radio, with XM you get 3 months free service including traffic alert, then I have to pay. Bottom-line, I will because both services are worth the expense in my opinion (about $12/month each, or you can purchase a year for a discounted price).With On-Star, there are different levels of service available. (I believe 3 different plans, each with a different price). For example, On-Star also offers a cell phone plan where you can buy minutes in blocks that are good for a year. Interesting factoid that I didn’t know — with On-Star there is a cell phone built into the vehicle, and GM has service agreements with a myriad of providers nationwide so you get much better coverage. Conversely, I can also pair my Sprint Cell phone with the vehicle’s Blue Tooth and choose which phone (my cell phone, or the one built into the vehicle) that I want to make a call on.The On-Star turn by turn feature is cool. I just press my blue On-Star button, speak with a real person and tell them where I want to go. (Address, or Business Name if I don’t know the address), and they will upload the driving directions into the vehicle’s GPS. I can also go to MapQuest and map out my route and upload the directions to the GPS via On-Star. With the Volt I would think you will be able to do this and more. For example, when uploading driving directions I would predict the Volt will be smart enough to know whether or not it needs to use Mountain Mode.Cheers!  (Quote)

Just as fyi,

(Safe and sound is still a year)

Gordon Green

Gordon Green

May 11th, 2010 (7:39 am)

Monthly fees drive me nuts!

Perhaps an OnStar account is needed to make it more likely that the car stays charged at the proper level (protecting the battery, a warranty issue). Or perhaps its needed for better diagnostics to assure vehicle reliability.

if so, then GM should build a base level, life of vehicle, OnStar account into the base price.

No monthly fees, please!

EclecticDan

EclecticDan

May 11th, 2010 (7:47 am)

BillR:Of course, AutoPilot is sure to follow.

Isn’t that Otto Pilot?

To everyone worried about paying for Google services… relax. The reason for such an incredibly quick adoption of the Android OS is that nearly every aspect of of it is free for both developers and users. Android is already showing up in house management systems (air conditioners, microwaves, etc.). It isn’t going anywhere. BUT, being both a young and open OS, the true issue is going to be stability. How many times has your Droid locked up?

Google may attempt to generate revenue via ads from it’s web advertising engine, but given Google’s track-record, it shouldn’t be too invasive.

If there is any charge associated with this, it will be for Internet access. However, it wouldn’t be difficult for GM to negotiate a Kindle-esque cellphone data plan as long as we’re just talking to the Volt-appliance. If people start downloading HD movies into the backseat, there’s going to be a bill.

May 11th, 2010 (7:48 am)

The current OnStar is a superb system IMO…

I get a very helpful “Diagnostics Report” via email every month that reports details on everything from the operational status of my car’s 11 airbags to its tires pressure readings. I save each in an OnStar file that’s easily searched to look for any trends in oil lifetimes or other maintenance-related parameters.

And OnStar’s navigation system is the best available IMO. I own several GPS systems, including one that also has a sonar depth finder on split screen in my boat. None are as safe or as easy to use as my car’s OnStar “Turn-by-Turn Navigation” —the OnStar system is voice controlled and talks you through any route it sets up for you: YOU NEVER NEED TO LOOK AT THE SCREEN!

/In any case, I’m pleased GM is upgrading OnStar to involve Google/Android/Smartphone features. I wouldn’t want a Volt without a full-featured version of OnStar!

May 11th, 2010 (7:54 am)

I was just hoping for an HD Radio, but this might be better.

NPNS!

firehawk

firehawk

May 11th, 2010 (8:02 am)

nasaman: As much as I like OnStar, I’d dare to hope that it can eventually transition onto using satellites (leased transponder capacity from XM or Sirius satellites?) rather than, or in addition to, cell phone towers. And GM needs to find ways to compete with Ford’s new, much cheaper Sync system.

I agree on many things you said. On Star is simply amazing. I live in an area that have VERY limited cell phone reception. I couldn’t even consider a cell phone at my home, but I can sit in the car and make a phone call. GM should shout ON Star from the rooftops–you are never alone; just push a button for an advisor and if you do have an emergency like an accident your car will automatically do it for you.
    The sync system is cool mostly because it is free, but to compare it to On Star is not even close. The sync system is ONLY as good as your cell phone. So if you cell phone reception is poor, the Sync system cannot help it in any way.

Hawk

Rooster

Rooster

May 11th, 2010 (8:04 am)

statik: Just as fyi,GM has ‘decontented’ a good bulk of their lineup for 2011, one of those unfeatures is they changed the one year of Onstar Directions and Connections plan to six months. Homelink is also toast. (Safe and sound is still a year)  (Quote)

Good thing I purchase a 2010 then…I guess they figure 6 months is long enough to get you hooked. If they are nixing homelink, then that must mean they have their own system to open garage doors, vice using the Johnson Control solution

muv66

muv66

May 11th, 2010 (8:09 am)

Does anyone know if navigation will come standard on the Volt? Since I’m cheap, I will not buy an OnStar subscription but would like the basic satellite navi without paying on arm and a leg for it. Also, for I hope the Volt’s Android operating system will work with my iPhone; is there an app for that?!?

May 11th, 2010 (8:10 am)

zim wolfe

zim wolfe

May 11th, 2010 (8:14 am)

firehawk: “Why are politically motivated ads on this website? Lyle, I do not believe this is the place for that type of campain politics. I am specifically refering to the Rand Paul window. Let’s keep this site open for discussions but free from politically motivated ads.”

If you use firefox just load flashblock. Its a great tool all the ads show up with an “F” icon and if you want to view the animated crap running across your screen just click on the F. Else enjoy the bliss of not seeing so much moving junk on the screen.

I love it.

Lyle

Lyle

May 11th, 2010 (8:29 am)

firehawk: Why are politically motivated ads on this website?Lyle, I do not believe this is the place for that type of campain politics.I am specifically refering to the Rand Paul window. Let’s keep this site open for discussions but free from politically motivated ads.Hawk

Ads are not chosen by me, but algorithmically placed by guess who?….Google

BLDude

BLDude

May 11th, 2010 (8:40 am)

The ads you see are unique to your internet use experience. For example: on this site right now, I am seeing no political ads. I’m getting Chevy Equinox ads from my local Chevy dealer, from the Hilton Hotels chain, Teleflora and American Airlines’ “Black Atlas” travel website. Each of us are targeted by advertisers based upon our internet browsing habits.

I’d say due to the high quality of Fortune 500 companies advertising on GM-Volt.com that Lyle has a huge number of visitors with above average demographics and household incomes. Hopefully Lyle is seeing some real $$$ from this website. That’s what keeps him writing everyday for us!

Welcome to the 21st century and Google ads!

Neil

Neil

May 11th, 2010 (8:45 am)

I don’t need google ads showing up in a center console.

Michael

Michael

May 11th, 2010 (8:46 am)

Tagamet: I’m as concerned about even hands-free driving being distracting. The insurance studies back that up. Personally, I won’t use a phone when driving, if I can avoid it. JMO.

zim wolfe: Else enjoy the bliss of not seeing so much moving junk on the screen.

Lyle:
    Ads are not chosen by me, but algorithmically placed by guess who?….Google

Of course all of this data could lead to driver distraction, a concern GM is serious about preventing. “We’re not going to violate that safety and security tenet that’s a core of our brand,” said Preuss.

heyIMmike

heyIMmike

May 11th, 2010 (8:47 am)

firehawk

firehawk

May 11th, 2010 (8:53 am)

Lyle: Ads are not chosen by me, but algorithmically placed by guess who?….Google  (Quote)

Lyle, thank you for the direct response. To the best of my knowledge I had never seen a political ad on this website until today. I must admit though; I was rather shocked, and I did not like it. Not about politics at all, just about this being an inappropriate venue for them to appear. Thanks again though for the clarification.

Hawk

Tim Hart

Tim Hart

May 11th, 2010 (8:54 am)

Tom W, you and I are on the same wavelength! I could care less about all the electronic distractions. It will only detract from the joy of driving the Volt and make driving more dangerous. But realistically it is attractive to the kids (anyone under 50) so GM is smart to offer all that stuff. I just hope it doesn’t increase the cost of owning and operating the vehicle.

Ken

Ken

May 11th, 2010 (9:06 am)

I wonder if I will be able to tether my Moto Droid and use that for connectivity….

Matthew B

Matthew B

May 11th, 2010 (9:10 am)

firehawk: I am specifically refering to the Rand Paul window. Let’s keep this site open for discussions but free from politically motivated ads.

On edit: I see this has been asked and answered.

Alex_md

Alex_md

May 11th, 2010 (9:37 am)

The communication technology finally has to find it’s way into cars. Volt would be a perfect opportunity to try some of these far fetched ideas due to the projected demographics of its buyers. Having a constant data stream too and from the car could enable so many cool features, I don’t even know where to start! Maps, navigation etc is just a beginning, think collision avoidance, smart routing based on traffic situation, theft protection. I don’t understand why a 50k piece of equipment must be less technologically advanced then my 500k phone.

Alex_md

Alex_md

May 11th, 2010 (9:39 am)

Lyle, why don’t you do a poll so we can see what kind of smart phones gm-volters use if any?

ClarksonCote

ClarksonCote

May 11th, 2010 (9:43 am)

I thought Google had all those algorithms nailed down… And yet on my current page load they’re advertising FORD! Hehe ;)

join thE REVolution

May 11th, 2010 (9:49 am)

Starcast

Starcast

May 11th, 2010 (9:50 am)

Tibor: I hope we are going to be able to add Android apps to the car!I would love to have an app that allows me to send small messages to other Volt owners I meet while driving. Like a twitter to “@that car in front of me” Others less fortunate (not having a Volt) might download the app to their Android phones instead…  (Quote)

This is why this is a BAD idea. Please don’t text when driving!!!!!!! Please

r weaver

r weaver

May 11th, 2010 (9:58 am)

Rashiid Amul: I love technology.
    This is very sweet.But Google will be storing information about my travels?That sounds too much like Big Brother to me.Still cool though.

I like Google. BUT as noted in the quote when an outside source, such as Google, is storing data about you as a real time activity i.e. your travels.. that is disturbing.

Maybe companies like Garmin and Tom Tom will still have a place in our VOLTs.

Starcast

Starcast

May 11th, 2010 (9:58 am)

You got to love Rand Paul anyway!!!!!! He sure would shake things up. I don’t like adds for cars that run away on their own but I can’t stop them. Ads are ads cars, politics, dumb products, it’s all the same.

Guido

Guido

May 11th, 2010 (10:15 am)

Google is far too active politically for me to allow them into my car! At least Microsoft has enough sense to keep a far lower profile on their politics….

Tall Pete

Tall Pete

May 11th, 2010 (10:17 am)

Google has reached a point where their motto “don’t be evil” can now be questioned. One thing is for sure, I don’t want that Big Brother in my car. They are the new Microsoft – taking a tad too much place.

I want my Volt as simple as possible.

CaptJackSparrow

May 11th, 2010 (10:20 am)

ARRRRRgghhh……

Too much stuff!

Too much stuff!

Too much stuff!

Too much stuff!

KISS!!!!

GM is really living up to it’s name in this chart.

Unni

Unni

May 11th, 2010 (10:20 am)

Does this mean volt comes with the HUD ? (nex-gen onstar was promised on next gen-hud )

I hear news that Sony’s next gen televesion is also going to have android on it.

The danger side of Android is It does not have enough IP protection to protect a vendor using the OS ( ex: HTC pays money to Microsoft for the IP protection on every Android device they sell ). Its good if GM has IP protection on the stuff they do ,Android can be a platform. Else its going to be again pay money to Microsoft and use android (It can be said like “When wGM partners with google , GM have enough opportunities to gain IP rights and protect the ip rights on what GM do” )

If Google itself needed as partner ,another option is chrome OS than android ( it also has apps ).

I had a post on this long back :

Starcast

Starcast

May 11th, 2010 (10:21 am)

tom w: I just want to drive without using Oil. I want to plug it in my garage. I do not care about any of this other stuff. I am 50 years old and set in my ways. I have the cheapest cell phone and it works fine for me, I remember to plug it in on my own.I will be generating my own electricity as I plan to get a net meter and a wind turbine in 2011 as well. So I won’t even care about night time rates. I just want a plug in electric car.I would like exactly zero bells and zero whistles (unless you consider CD player and air conditioning bells and whistles).  (Quote)

Clearly a lot of us agree with you on this. +1 very good post.

May 11th, 2010 (10:23 am)

Tibor, post #4: I hope we are going to be able to add Android apps to the car!

Starcast, post #44:
    This is why this is a BAD idea. Please don’t text when driving!!!!!!! Please

As I said in my previous post #24, OnStar’s nav system is superior to all of the several GPS systems I have. My newest of several systems is a Garmin, which has excellent mapping, graphics & audio. But my OnStar’s Directions & Connections is much less distracting because the route is set up for you by simply speaking hands free to an OnStar operator. For example, “OnStar, please route me to the nearest Cracker Barrel”. The route is then set up without you even glancing at the screen (although it’s also displayed) and you’re guided by voice alone, turn-by-turn, to the destination. It’s addictive, but it’s also safe and effective! :)

I’m sure OnStar gen 9 will allow texting or graphic-intensive information to be displayed on the front screen ONLY when the car is in Park. Of course, if they also offer a DVD player or down-loadable streaming video, it could be displayed when the Volt is underway on optional rear-mounted screens (as well as on the front screen with the car in Park).

May 11th, 2010 (10:24 am)

I don’t really have a problem with any of this. Even as far as information is stored and used as long as it is known up front and the use of these new “features” are strictly optional. Other than that, I say go for it GM, just give your customers a way to opt out.

May 11th, 2010 (10:32 am)

tom w: I would like exactly zero bells and zero whistles (unless you consider CD player and air conditioning bells and whistles).

Amen. +1

May 11th, 2010 (10:35 am)

Unni: I have a feeling they may be looking IBM as a partner because IBM makes new chips and also can get a fine tuned android for the chips ( ex: cell processes based ones ) and give ip protection on stuff they sell also.
    I had a post on this long back :http://yankandpaste.blogspot.com/2010/01/ford-sync-kia-uvois-it-only-micorsoft.html

Thanks for the link. Enjoyed it very much.

Unni

Unni

May 11th, 2010 (10:35 am)

Starcast:
    This is why this is a BAD idea. Please don’t text when driving!!!!!!! Please

I herd even tweets are also possible by just talking:-)

On Android : Android is full open source which GM has a opportunity to create its on app store and unlink google ( motorola unlinked google from android phones in china and to know how NA is back in technology China has already a car which runs Android (SAIC roewe 350 ),SAIC is GM partner in China.

Matthew_B

Matthew_B

May 11th, 2010 (10:39 am)

Ditto on wanting to drive and not use oil.

My reason against OnStar is not with the complexity, but the ongoing cost. It seems like every big company out there is focused on the annuity streams of income. The reason is simple: it is VERY profitable. Sorry GM, I recognize it for the ripoff it is. Yes, it is a useful service. But it shouldn’t cost anywhere near what you charge. Price it closer to a reasonable cost and I’m game.

May 11th, 2010 (10:45 am)

CaptJackSparrow: ARRRRRgghhh……Too much stuff!Too much stuff!Too much stuff!Too much stuff!KISS!!!!GM is really living up to it’s name in this chart.
    http://www.hybridcenter.org/hybrid-scorecard/Can they just get the dang car out and quit addin sh|t to it. I swear, it seems their addin sh|t every month just before rollout.

Amen to that too. +1

tom w

tom w

May 11th, 2010 (10:49 am)

So the Volt is becoming the platform to experiment integrating new upscale features including partnerships with media companies.

Meanwhile the very future of the automobile is on the verge of a change that will transform the economy of the world (from oil based to electron based).

Their focus should be on ways to make more of these cars and make them cheaper and more accessible to the masses.

This seems to be what Nissan is doing as GM dithers with peripheral items. I keep hoping that maybe GM is dithering because they know a battery break through is only a couple years away and they are lining up their ducks to start running at that time.

Zachary Taylor (Jackson)

May 11th, 2010 (10:57 am)

The discussion of how Google is placing ads on this website is pertinent.

Here’s what we’re likely to get from Google in a car: high fees for any service blocking ads. Most won’t be willing to pay, so you’ll get the ad-driven version. As you drive, the algorithms developed for the Google/OnStar collaboration will flash ads for everything you’re driving by, or for businesses on the next exit if you’re on the freeway. Perhaps in rural Georgia you’ll see:

“Pecans, 1000 feet!”

“Pecans, 500 feet!”

“Pecans, 200 feet!”

“Pecans, 100 feet!”

“PECANS!”

“You missed it! Turn around for Pecans!”

{irony}I can hardly wait.{/irony}

Dan Petit

Dan Petit

May 11th, 2010 (10:58 am)

The OnStar systems monitoring is an important function of Volt.
    But I’m sure GM will offer Volt without any Google participation.
    There is enough privacy invasion, cost, interference, pop up ads, systems viruses,
    and on and on ad infinitum and ad nauseum already contaminating our lives through Google to have it mandatory inside of a Volt. Google will destroy the driving experience.
    If you want all that stuff, as long as you drive safely, I don’t mind, go for it all if you like.
    But if there is going to be **anything** from the internet that is required to be purchased
    in a Volt deal, well, it will have to be entirely removed before I get one.
    Google has too much power and influence in our lives already. It is a monopoly of a certain kind regarding our lives, and, enough of it is enough. Not in my Volt please!!!
    Once you drive the Volt, most of that stuff becomes passe’.

CaptJackSparrow

May 11th, 2010 (11:02 am)

carcus2, WHAT SAY YOU!!!

The Grump

The Grump

May 11th, 2010 (11:03 am)

Noooooooooooooooooo !

I have a Google-powered Moto Droid cell phone, and I hate it more every passing day. The map function especially – it doesn’t sort, say, gas stations by distance from your location. It uses no logic that I can determine – the found gas station locations jump all over the immediate map, and the last result could very well be the closest to you ! Big Google fail !

Any GPS unit could do much better. Then there are the privacy concerns already mentioned by previous posters here. GM is about to make a huge mistake. I only hope that Google is an option that I can refuse to purchase.

May 11th, 2010 (11:04 am)

r weaver:
    I like Google.BUT as noted in the quote when an outside source, such as Google, is storing data about you as a real time activity i.e. your travels.. that is disturbing.
    Google is good at protecting data your information but it could be compromised by theft, government subpoena or stealth, and possibly sniffing. Plus if you get in a dispute with ON Star or Google they have your data —not a good bargaining position for you —.If that feature can be shut off or kept local that would be a plus. ( If one uses credit cards on a trip the same type of travel data is collected anyway so privacy is essentially gone.)Maybe companies like Garmin and Tom Tom will still have a place in our VOLTs.

Yup. But now they can trace a person by their cell phone location. Credit cards are handy, cell phone handier. GM puts Black Boxes in all their cars. Can the Black Boxes communicate to the Mother Ship while I am driving?

mikeinatl.

mikeinatl.

May 11th, 2010 (11:05 am)

Reports on the recent Time Square bombing attempt said that there are over 5,000 survelliance cameras in that area. 5,000!

While very few of us ever even visit Times Square, almost anywhere you live or travel to nowadays you are being photographed many times each day.

Thanks to technology and Web 2.0, personal privacy is fast becoming extinct.

To that we will now add “Smart” cars that track our every move.

There will be governmental uses for this that many of us will not foresee. One that comes to mind is that, since our roads are paid for in large part by taxes on gasoline useage, when cars become electrified and use MUCH less gas, there will be a need to change that taxation method to a mileage-based tax.

So your “Smart” car may well be taxing you as you drive along.
    (Maybe one day, even in real time, taking money straight from your bank account or credit card, much like my Cruise Card toll card here in my home town.)

Expect other governmental “innovations” with this newfound power to see where everyone is going all the time. Perhaps restricting use of your car going into traffic jams or other areas where someone in authority thinks you just shouldn’t go that day. (Parade? Festival? Dignitary traveling through? Local or national emergency? Shut em down!)

We are frogs in a frying pan and the intrusive heat is increasing ever so slightly with each passing year. We don’t jump out. We just accept it and keep hopping along. (Til we croak.)

If he could see where we have arrived to this point, George Orwell would blush.
    If he could see where we are headed, he might write a whole new book.

Sometimes I pine for my grandfather’s old ’56 Chevy pick up truck.
    Kinda miss him, too.

Zachary Taylor (Jackson)

May 11th, 2010 (11:10 am)

On the surface, it sounds like the Google/Android/OnStar initiative will give owners options beyond OnStar. I’m glad someone at GM realizes how quickly something like OnStar could be made obsolete.

However, I’ve learned never to be an optimist when Ads can be placed, and Google is the king of unwanted Ad-placement.

There’s really only one thing I’m interested in when it comes to wireless connectivity and the Volt:

What will be charged per month?

Is there any flexibility regarding what or whether something is carried?

(Maybe redundant) Will OnStar or other fee-based connectivity be required on the Volt? Is there any way out of having to pay by the month?

The new option for the Volt which will most impress me is greater than lukewarm interest at GM in producing it in a form and in numbers that most people can actually buy.

Dan Petit

Dan Petit

May 11th, 2010 (11:15 am)

TagametLet’s Just Get The VOLTS ‘Wheels On The Road!!****
    NPNS
    Dan replies:

I hope you refused to buy that phone!.

If Google is inflicted upon us inside of our Volts, it will destroy the peaceful enjoyment of Volt.
    (Google is that arrogant and audacious to not give a damn about anything but themselves and their own monopolistic growth). Google would cheapen the Volt beyond all other things. Google is the deal breaker if it is required in the purchase, because you want control of your peaceful Volt environment. Google will destroy that in no time.
    I hope that GM realizes that most of the people who mostly can afford a Volt will not tolerate the invasion of their vehicle with everything Google can possibly conduit into the only remaining peaceful environment that they are paying lots of money for.
    Google inside of a car is itself a huge mistake that ought not be underestimated. **HUGE MISTAKE!!!!**

/….back to work.)

Zachary Taylor (Jackson)

May 11th, 2010 (11:17 am)

mikeinatl.: Sometimes I pine for my grandfather’s old ‘56 Chevy pick up truck.
    Kinda miss him, too.

Mine had a ’57.

Otherwise, I agree with everything you said.

CaptJackSparrow

May 11th, 2010 (11:17 am)

Zachary Taylor (Jackson): Is it really necessary? Couldn’t you just dock your smartphone and use connectivity you already pay for? I frankly don’t see much push toward simpler solutions, lately.

I think we all have lived without any Onsh|t or google crap in our cars for quite some time. Why do we need it now?

Sure Onsh|t will give GM some “enhanced” info on the car but isn’t that what the ODBII is for? If it doesn’t give them what they need then why have the damn thing then, take that sh|t off. I don’t need Onsh|t, if you want data from my car you can get it when I bring it in for services.

/this is startin to bug me……..

Tagamet

May 11th, 2010 (11:23 am)

Zachary Taylor (Jackson): …Perhaps in rural Georgia you’ll see:“Pecans, 1000 feet!”“Pecans, 500 feet!”“Pecans, 200 feet!”“Pecans, 100 feet!”“PECANS!”“You missed it!Turn around for Pecans!”{irony}I can hardly wait.{/irony}

Be well and believe,

Let’s Just Get The VOLTS ‘ Wheels On The Road!!****NPNS

May 11th, 2010 (11:25 am)

Eco_Turbo: I imagine somebody somewhere might pay to know who is listening to Ru$h while they’re driving around.

Which Rush :)

CaptJackSparrow

May 11th, 2010 (11:28 am)

Here’s what my dash will look like…… :-P

b9f2024acc.jpg

Now that’s what i’m takinbout!!!

CaptJackSparrow

May 11th, 2010 (11:30 am)

Tagamet: a little more anxious and insistent the closer you get to the pecans

You and nuts maaan…..
    Yesterday you were takinbout your “crystal balls” and today Pecan’s.

May 11th, 2010 (11:32 am)

heyIMmike: I am certainly a fan of Google, but I think that this is going just a bit far. If OnStar wants to work with Google, thats fine, but keep it out of the car.

I’d love a Google search engine & full browser in my car. Throw in voice recognition and/or a USB/wireless keyboard and I’m all set. Having access to the internet while travelling would be great. You could find/book hotels in advance, listen to your Pandora station, watch video streams of your security camera’s at home, endless possibilites.

Tagamet

May 11th, 2010 (11:38 am)

Dan Petit: Tagamet: On Star comes free for the first year and has a monthly fee after that. I almost bought an Android phone just last week (lost my other cell), but *it* has a MANDATORY $30/month fee for internet access. If both are required, it starts to add up!
    TagametLet’s Just Get The VOLTS ‘Wheels On The Road!!****
    NPNS
    Dan replies:

I hope you refused to buy that phone!.

You Bet’cha!

Be well and believe,

Let’s Just Get The VOLTS ‘ Wheels On The Road!!****NPNS

Michael

Michael

May 11th, 2010 (11:39 am)

Dan Petit: Once you drive the Volt, most of that stuff becomes passe’.

Dan, see my post at the end of yesterday’s thread, about comment #199. Thanks.

May 11th, 2010 (11:41 am)

Unni: Android is full open source which GM has a opportunity to create its on app store and unlink google

I see this as a good thing. Convergence of cell, Internet, satellite with OnStar will make a superior product. Apps will be more available and work better.

GM is not dumb. They have to compete with Sync and other products. Making OnStar more open will make their cost lower. Ability to talk to utilities and your smart phone will be easier to implement.

Faster. Cheaper. Better.

May 11th, 2010 (11:42 am)

Unni: Starcast:
    This is why this is a BAD idea. Please don’t text when driving!!!!!!! Please Ford also used the opportunity of endorsing a ban on driving while texting to promote its own in-car Sync technology—powered by Microsoft, of course—that enables users to have text messages read to them, as well as operate their cell phones using voice commands. Although the Sync system does arguably create as much distraction for a driver as using a phone, the hands-free nature of the technology at least keeps their hands on the wheel.
    I herd even tweets are also possible by just talking:-)

I imagine Google would implement their Google Voice technology to keep driver’s hands free.

Rob

Rob

May 11th, 2010 (11:51 am)

Can I get Apple instead??? If not, I will have to wait for another car manufacturer….

Tagamet

May 11th, 2010 (11:52 am)

Loboc:… Faster. Cheaper. Better.

And Unnecessary.

Be well and believe,

Let’s Just Get The VOLTS ‘ Wheels On The Road!!****NPNS

Bruce Embry

Bruce Embry

May 11th, 2010 (11:53 am)

Gee,
    I thought the Volt was to save money buy not buying the GAS. Now I guess you guys will just give the GAS savings to Google and OnStar.

As for for, I won’t pay for the useless services. I use paper maps!

May 11th, 2010 (11:55 am)

I am amused by the “big brother watching” and “Google ad” angst.

Big brother has better ways of watching you, and he probably already is now anyway. What do you have to hide?

Google doesnt force its ads on people’s web pages. Webmasters put them on there so they can make money. Google just provides the service. Don’t complain to Google that THEY have too many ads popping up.

Give me all the bells & whistles! Its fricken 2010 already, and my car doesnt even have a decent computer in it yet. I thought 2010 was going to be so much cooler, but maybe it was just that movie I saw years ago giving me false hope.

CaptJackSparrow

May 11th, 2010 (12:00 pm)

kdawg: I thought 2010 was going to be so much cooler, but maybe it was just that movie I saw years ago giving me false hope.

Sh|t, I thought we were gonna have flying cars….WTF?
    Where’s my flyin car? Where be me flyin car!!!

Zachary Taylor (Jackson)

May 11th, 2010 (12:01 pm)

Loboc: Making OnStar more open will make their cost lower.

… but will it make our cost lower?!!!

This is the only metric that counts.

CaptJackSparrow

May 11th, 2010 (12:03 pm)

Bruce Embry: As for for, I won’t pay for the useless services. I use paper maps!

And their free from your insurance agent. At least from AAA. :-P

Troll boi has a point,….. to a certain extent. Everyone has a cell phone and most likely you’ll have GPS on it. My Droid does and it works just like a dang Garmin or TomTom. Talks and everything but not dirty. Checks for traffic and plays mp3z!

Zachary Taylor (Jackson)

May 11th, 2010 (12:06 pm)

CaptJackSparrow:
    Sh|t, I thought we were gonna have flying cars….WTF?
    Where’s my flyin car? Where be me flyin car!!!

Can you imagine the FAA regulating millions of flying cars?

(I know you were kidding, but … okay; try this):

No! We were supposed to commute by Jet Pack!

Kurt

Kurt

May 11th, 2010 (12:07 pm)

These better be “options” or I’m getting even more ticked off beyond wanting this car anymore. Originally placed into the “Chevy” brand, this car was supposed to have the sleek new drivetrain technology without too many other bells and whistles. Why? TO KEEP THE COST DOWN! Not to mention, this stuff has Big Brother written all over it, and I am NOT comfortable with that. I have not been impressed by what I’ve heard of the screen displays and center console. Nothing was wrong with that stuff, but they tried to fix it anyways…

koz

koz

May 11th, 2010 (12:07 pm)

Michael: IMHO we really shouldn’t have Google ads on cars display screens. Ads can help pay for stuff on the internet, but keep it out of cars. As Chris Preuss said:  (Quote)

Can you say free onstar? Restaurant suggestions, geographically relevent advertising, etc. Of course you should be able to choose none or pay for premium add free service.

Tagamet

May 11th, 2010 (12:08 pm)

CaptJackSparrow:
    Sh|t, I thought we were gonna have flying cars….WTF?
    Where’s my flyin car? Where be me flyin car!!!

Be well and believe,

Let’s Just Get The VOLTS ‘ Wheels On The Road!!****NPNS

CaptJackSparrow

May 11th, 2010 (12:10 pm)

Zachary Taylor (Jackson): … but will it make our cost lower?!!!

This is the only metric that counts.

Here’s the question of the day…..

JohnK

JohnK

May 11th, 2010 (12:15 pm)

Tagamet: I wonder if it’ll be done with nice southern Belle drawl, that get’s a little more anxious and insistent the closer you get to the pecans (lol). Next best thing to being married.

Reminds me of this: “One day, a man came home and was greeted by his wife dressed in a very Sexy nightie.
    ‘Tie me up,’ she purred, ‘and you can do anything you want.’
    So he tied her up and went golfing. “

CaptJackSparrow

May 11th, 2010 (12:18 pm)

Tagamet: Just check your crystal, er, spheres. (g). Or, of course, you could just “Google it”.

The next closest is the Mohler air car stuff up here in Davis CA.
    :-)

Tagamet

May 11th, 2010 (12:19 pm)

CaptJackSparrow:
    Here’s the question of the day…..How much does all the Onsh|t hardware cost as well as to install. Sure it’s slapped in there at the plant but how much is the hardware? If you can ommit it from the car how much less will it make the Volt. As far as i’m concerned, even if GM charge $25 for the hardware I still don’t want it. If someone were to walk into a GM dealer and ask to put Onsh|t on their Aveo, how much would it cost?/yeah yeah, I know, it’s cheaper when it’s from the factory. But if GM get’s a big cut in cost for bulk purchase shouldn’t it also get the same cut in cost for a walk-in customer?

CJS,
    I believe that OnStar is “standard” equipment, and in a sense it’s not even an option to NOT have it – at least for the first year.
    (ducks and covers).

Be well and believe,

Let’s Just Get The VOLTS ‘ Wheels On The Road!!****NPNS

Zachary Taylor (Jackson)

May 11th, 2010 (12:21 pm)

CaptJackSparrow: Everyone has a cell phone and most likely you’ll have GPS on it. My Droid does and it works just like a dang Garmin or TomTom. Talks and everything but not dirty. Checks for traffic and plays mp3z!

I’m not the first to think that we should just dock our smart phones inside a car for the kind of functionality that GM wants to build into the Volt, it was predicted in a recent magazine article concerning the future of electric vehicles. I happen to think it makes a lot of sense. Cell Phone generations turn over much faster than automobiles; anything built into a car will almost be obsolete by definition by the time it hits a showroom. The challenge should be developing the interface which would allow a docked phone (with appropriate app) to perform these kinds of “tasks” over the succession of phones a car owner is likely to have.

Tagamet

May 11th, 2010 (12:21 pm)

JohnK:
    ‘Tie me up,’ she purred, ‘and you can do anything you want.’
    So he tied her up and went golfing. “

Rats, I don’t golf. (lol).
    Be well and believe,

Let’s Just Get The VOLTS ‘ Wheels On The Road!!****NPNS

May 11th, 2010 (12:24 pm)

Zachary Taylor (Jackson): To be useful, any flying car would have to hover. We are just now dealing with how to get cars to roll on electricity. Getting them to hover and fly will be, shall we say, much more challenging? Or were we going to run them all on Jet A?
    (I know you were kidding, but … okay; try this):
    No! We were supposed to commute by Jet Pack!

I’d settle for Futurama air-tubes.

May 11th, 2010 (12:25 pm)

OK, I have read all the posts….

I have to say that I am with kdawg @ #82 on this one.

I remember when I first started selling personal computers back in 1980. People would come in and say “Why would I want one of those in my house?”

People thought that cell phones would be too intrusive.

Why replace your records with CD’s? And what the heck is an MP3 player???

If you really want privacy, you have to go off grid – work and live for with cash only. Anything else, and you are being tracked. No cell phone. No internet. No satellite TV. And drive a car produced before 1980.

Sorry but I am not the Jeremiah Johnson type!

Me? I want all those toys to play with!!! But if they really start to annoy me, there is always an OFF switch!!! :-) My cell phone goes off as soon as I get home from work…………

Money is a completely separate issue. There should be a way to opt out, if you do not want these extra option items.

May 11th, 2010 (12:29 pm)

CaptJackSparrow: Here’s the question of the day…..

From an assembly standpoint, it may cost more to NOT have Onstar in your car. Now you have a special order that isn’t standard (even though it has less stuff).

Zachary Taylor (Jackson)

May 11th, 2010 (12:31 pm)

D@mn!

I wasn’t even thinking about the ads having SOUND

… have you ever heard of the Fireside Theater?

John W

John W

May 11th, 2010 (12:33 pm)

While we’re telling jokes.

What’s the moon do when it needs a haircut?

Eclipse it!

Zachary Taylor (Jackson)

May 11th, 2010 (12:35 pm)

kdawg:
    From an assembly standpoint, it may cost more to NOT have Onstar in your car.Now you have a special order that isn’t standard (even though it has less stuff).

There is an old, old story about the older gentleman who went into a dealership wanting to know what it would cost him to get a car without a radio. The canny salesman played along, and wound up charging the hapless customer more money to have a car with the stock radio removed by the service department.

nuclearboy

nuclearboy

May 11th, 2010 (12:38 pm)

firehawk: Why are politically motivated ads on this website? Lyle, I do not believe this is the place for that type of campain politics.

Lyle,

We see adds from all sorts of stuff all day long and many of us I am sure realize that adds are a fact of life and a means of paying the bills and keeping the actual knowledge sources (your site) running.

Don’t worry about censoring adds. Sell to the highest bidder and keep the site running. We are all big enough to read or not read what we want.

Zachary Taylor (Jackson)

May 11th, 2010 (12:40 pm)

John W: While we’re telling jokes.

Time to put an end to this.

“Did you hear about the cannibal who passed his friend in the woods?”

No need to thank me …

John W

John W

May 11th, 2010 (12:40 pm)

I think that GM is putting in these options because of the initial cost of the car. Let’s say around 40k. They want it to be very competitive with other cars in that price class. If it’s more techy than a small BMW you may get some of those customers who are into tech. I think it’s a good move. And these government rebates aren’t gonna be around forever. They may renew them but they will probably run out.

John W

John W

May 11th, 2010 (12:45 pm)

Oh and the ads are put in by google with high tech marketing schemes that are used by storing cookies on your computer and based on the sites your visiting. If you’re into politics and you’ve visited political websites you may get a political ad on this webpage. Lyle has nothing to do with most of what you see here. Also if you have spyware on your computer you may get who knows what.

CaptJackSparrow

May 11th, 2010 (12:45 pm)

Zachary Taylor (Jackson): No! We were supposed to commute by Jet Pack!

AHAHAHAHAAAA!!!

That’s even better!

/hmmmm, but what if it’s raining?…..ouch.

Hoang

Hoang

May 11th, 2010 (1:00 pm)

Hahahaha, I’ve got to love technology.

Here are future police citations:

1) Texting while driving: $50 fine
    2) Talking on the phone while driving: $75 fine
    3) Googling while driving: $100 fine
    4) Ebaying while driving: $150 fine
    5) Fixing makup and video skyping while driving: $200 fine
    6) Inappropriate and weird behavior while driving: $500 fine
    ….

Thanks to Google, all those citations are possible because what are you doing in the in-car Google while driving are monitored by the nearby police cars…You have the right to remain silence but Google.

May 11th, 2010 (1:04 pm)

Lots of peeps having issues with adds. It’s easy to get rid of them ON YOUR PC, either by another app or if you’re an IT guy you’ll know how to do it without another app……wink wink.

On your Volt however it’s not the same. You won’t have that ability, well at least they have not indicated you would. But then again they haven’t indicated there would be ads either.

Here’s what’s gonna happen and I see it iPhones and Droid wares. Users will install some app that WILL put banners or ad crap along with it.

May 11th, 2010 (1:04 pm)

Zachary Taylor (Jackson):
    D@mn!I wasn’t even thinking about the ads having SOUND…… have you ever heard of the Fireside Theater?

LOL, Absolutely!

Be well and believe,

Let’s Just Get The VOLTS ‘ Wheels On The Road!!****NPNS

jonboinAR

jonboinAR

May 11th, 2010 (1:04 pm)

Zachary Taylor (Jackson): Can you imagine the FAA regulating millions of flying cars?There have been any number of mechanical/engineering proposals for flying cars; the problem is mainly one of painting the white line on the sky, so to speak. Some kind of virtual reality display system would be the way to go, but the computational/communications backbone to generate such a system of sky paths would have to be paid for by somebody … probably the government (not).To be useful, any flying car would have to hover. We are just now dealing with how to get cars to roll on electricity. Getting them to hover and fly will be, shall we say, much more challenging? Or were we going to run them all on Jet A?(I know you were kidding, but … okay; try this):No! We were supposed to commute by Jet Pack!  (Quote)

The main problem, I think, is gravity sucks, a lot.

May 11th, 2010 (1:12 pm)

John W: While we’re telling jokes.

What’s the moon do when it needs a haircut?

Eclipse it!

I’ve seen some moons driving by before!
    I think they were twins.
    :-P

May 11th, 2010 (1:18 pm)

Zachary Taylor (Jackson): What I want to know is — which make was the dealership selling? I have an idea …

lol….
    We did something like that before back when I worked on the mfgring floor. A customer wanted us to not paint the products. We charged them extra because of the cost of changing the process to omiit the step. Sounds fuked up but hey, they paid for it. Their initials were AT&T.

Still think it’s crap to put sh|t a customer doesn’t want on a product. That’s one of the reasons I hate these damn “Trim” levels. I have to buy sh|t I don’t care for just to get one thing.

/I think they wanted to paint their own crap on them……AT&T that is.

DaveP

DaveP

May 11th, 2010 (1:51 pm)

I, for one, welcome our new alien Google overlords! :)

Still, something bugs me about having to pay a monthly fee to access my car. Sure, I can understand paying for the mobile network connection (which I don’t want to do since I’m already paying for one 3G mobile network connection already), but I still feel I ought to be able to simply hook the car to the internet by whatever means I choose and connect to it for free, without some corporate server in the middle.
    Whether that be my 3G wireless or simply my wifi while it is parked in the garage, that should be up to me.

Matthew_B

Matthew_B

May 11th, 2010 (2:05 pm)

kdawg: Give me all the bells & whistles! Its fricken 2010 already, and my car doesnt even have a decent computer in it yet.

Car computers also don’t crash. (hmmm maybe Toyota’s do?)

Add a bunch of wizbang complexity and that will change. Not in a good direction IMNSHO.

Matthew_B

Matthew_B

May 11th, 2010 (2:10 pm)

Maybe if they had this gal do the turn by turn?

May 11th, 2010 (2:31 pm)

Matthew_B:
    Maybe if they had this gal do the turn by turn?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkIpAYGh9lk

“Tarn leyuft an thee’n keep straite ’til ya hit the pot hole …

May 11th, 2010 (2:39 pm)

CaptJackSparrow:
    I’ve seen some moons driving by before!
    I think they were twins.

A moon flew by me one time…moon.jpg

May 11th, 2010 (2:44 pm)

Eco_Turbo:
    A moon flew by me one time…

az6mhd.jpg

May 11th, 2010 (2:46 pm)

Eco_Turbo: A moon flew by me one time…

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
    ONTFLMAO

/that was great maaan….

May 11th, 2010 (2:53 pm)

May 11th, 2010 (3:10 pm)

Zachary Taylor (Jackson):
    This thread has now
    ***OFFICIALLY*** degenerated ….

Be well and believe,

Let’s Just Get The VOLTS ‘ Wheels On The Road!!****NPNS

carcus2

carcus2

May 11th, 2010 (3:20 pm)

CaptJackSparrow: OK, if your going to put ads or get online sh|t I want to stream Playboy and VIVID movies.carcus2, WHAT SAY YOU!!!

I hope it gets HBO. Sookie Stackhouse gets my blood to boiling.

May 11th, 2010 (3:22 pm)

I see where this is going…

Picture this: OnStar knows where you are at so that Google can have on-screen pop-up ads for the Burger King or Shell Station just ahead… Now, if these advertisers “pre-pay” GM, then I can see the possibility of “ad money” being used to pay for the rebates you get at the time of purchase.

All the buyer would have to do is ‘sign up’ for the ads program in OnStar to get the credit toward the purchase price. The question is: Can you live with 60 months of pop-up ads if the car sold for say $2000 less?

May 11th, 2010 (3:25 pm)

Tagamet:
    I was about to certify that a while ago, but there was a big cat (21lbs) resting on my chest. Cat is now gone, but his drool and fur remain…Be well and believe,
    TagametLet’s Just Get The VOLTS ‘Wheels On The Road!!****NPNS

Good news: There’s another thread up.

Bad news: It’s a Hydrogen thread.

car cd player

car cd player

May 11th, 2010 (3:41 pm)

thanks for the info, I will recommend this blog to others

Dan Petit

Dan Petit

May 11th, 2010 (3:51 pm)

Michael:
    Dan, see my post at the end of yesterday’s thread, about comment #199.Thanks.

That will work.
    Is LRGProVolt going? Haven’t seen his post lately when I’m here.
    Anyone else coming to Austin next weekend?

Yoseppi

Yoseppi

May 11th, 2010 (4:50 pm)

Android integration would simply put the Chevy Volt over the top. With free upgrades, we’ll always have the latest tech based gps/nav/infotainment system ever. The car won’t be outdated tech wise so fast.

You’ll undoubetdly get to integrate it free with your Android phone, and other phones. But the massive integration with your android phone would be amazing. Make and receive calls seamlessly, use internet based services through your phone free of charge. There will of course be a pay option for emergency based sevices, but other options it would give will be dizzying. It’ll make Ford’s SYNC look like tinkertoys.

May 11th, 2010 (5:24 pm)

Zachary Taylor (Jackson): Good news: There’s another thread up.

Bad news: It’s a Hydrogen thread.

LOL. +1

May 11th, 2010 (5:29 pm)

Well, Tom W said it all at #13, IMHO. I really dislike the layering on of all of these gee-whiz functions that I don’t need, and will never use. I find it irritating, and it ratchets up my sales resistance.

KISS

Simplicate and add lightness.

What ain’t there don’t give you no trouble.

Timaaayyy!!!

Timaaayyy!!!

May 11th, 2010 (5:31 pm)

DonC: It’s expensive to maintain your own system, especially when more and more people are dropping off your system and relying on their smartphones instead. Companies like Garmin (not to mention XM) are really suffering — who needs an expensive GPS system when you have a cellphone — and I suspect GM is looking at the writing on the wall about Onstar.So great idea to partner. Lots of potentially cool applications are down the road.  (Quote)

Yes–open source.

Here’s one brainstorm idea (probably well covered already by the engineers here): integrate the Volt into your house’s energy mgmt system, e.g., when your house’s power goes out, use your Volt to power it–either thru the battery or by turning on the ICE. No need to buy a Honda generator anymore.

May 11th, 2010 (7:11 pm)

Matthew_B: Car computers also don’t crash. (hmmm maybe Toyota’s do?)

I’d take the bad w/the good.

AJAX Engineer

AJAX Engineer

May 12th, 2010 (11:58 am)

Rashiid Amul: I love technology.

Yes, indeed Google will be gather vital statistics on all Volt owner habits. This will allow future Volt enhancements to be made that will greatly increase the driver and passenger’s Google Experience.
    Google will be able to anticipate all your needs as you traverse the roadways, no matter what your needs Google will be able to rapidly present a list of suitable products to make you very very happy during your trips.

THIS IS ALL GOOD. NO DOWNSIDE WHATSOEVER ! GOOGLE JUST ROCKS !!

Geek

Geek

May 12th, 2010 (1:05 pm)

Just wow :D

Shock Me

Shock Me

May 12th, 2010 (1:26 pm)

I’d prefer mine with Apple’s iPhone OS. The last thing I need is some hacker jacking into my car and driving it away. If it were iPhone OS the car would just say “Screw that! You don’t want to go there. Shall I take you to the nearest Starbucks to think it over?”

No really, I’d like Apple instead of Android.