Dec 16

How has the Chevy Volt Dance Affected Volt Marketing?

vdancers

[ad#post_ad]On Monday I posted a video called the Chevy Volt Dance on YouTube and wrote about it here. It was a clip of four dancers dancing to the Chevy Volt theme song called “Chevy Volt and Me” that was performed every hour at the LA Auto Show.

I thought the thing was kind of silly really and made me laugh. What I didn’t know at the time, and which is one of the more fascinating things about the Internet, is that the video would “go viral.”

As of this morning the clip has been viewed over 100,000 times, and has received 717 YouTube comments. It was yesterday’s most popular video in the auto section and has been covered by Autoblog, Jalopnik, Engadget, and CrunchGear and even made it to the front page of Fox News. It has also been covered on countless smaller sites.

This must be a good thing right?

Maybe not. The coverage has been uniformly negative, and often venomous.

Fox put the words “your tax $$ at work” as the caption, for example. The users comments on YouTube have been extreme as well, and for a very popular video to have an average rating of one star shows it is being enjoyed for its badness.

Here are some typical comments from YouTube:

…Chevy: Why would you do this? I have only driven Chevy trucks for my entire driving life. Not anymore. I’m buying a Kia. P.S. Fire the marketing department.

…I have never written, typed or said this in my entire life. I didn’t realize I was saving it for just this occasion…OMG!

…If you think we are impressed, we are. Impressed with the ignorance to stage such a juvenile presentation and the arrogance to do it with our bailout money. Can’t blame this waste on the unions!

…I was 90% sure I’d never buy a chevy volt, now I’m 100% sure.

Now to be fair, GM claims they never intended this to be a widespread commercial about the Volt.

“The Volt song and dance was meant to entertain and educate families about Volt.” said Volt spokesperson Dave Darovitz. “It takes a complex idea in Volt and boils it down in an understandable and fun way targeted at kids and families who attend the show.”

“It was intended to draw people into the stand and create excitement,” he added.

Newly minted chief of GM marketing and sales Susan Docherty claimed “I have not yet seen the Chevrolet Volt song and dance but it sounds like I need to spend some time tonight on the web viewing this.”  By now I’m sure she did.  I wonder what she thought.

Part of the video’s failure is the fact that it was taken out of context.  In fact, the person who filmed it and sent it to me wrote back “we didn’t think the video would get some of the negative reaction it’s been getting.”  She added “It’s a pity people can’t see the whole thing in context, I mean, it was an auto show, not an evening at the Met.”

Anyway, it does seem like GM might be going about Volt marketing in a less than ideal way.  It is a shame to see such a high-tech, groundbreaking and important product trivialized and turned into a laughing stock, but then again maybe all publicity is good publicity.

I’ll close with the excellent Volt commercial GM aired at the 2008 Olympics.  Lets stick to this kind of stuff from now on GM, what do you say?

This entry was posted on Wednesday, December 16th, 2009 at 7:35 am and is filed under Marketing. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

Herm

Herm

Dec 16th, 2009 (7:39 am)

no effect.. one year away from actual sales there can be no effect, but any publicity is good in getting peoples attention.

Mabel, look at that, GM is bringing out an electric car with unlimited range in 2010.. maybe we should delay getting the Corolla and sticking it to the arabs.

Brad

Brad

Dec 16th, 2009 (7:46 am)

The sad thing is they probably didn’t spend much money on the song or dance.

Now I’m thinking maybe they should have.

jabroni

jabroni

Dec 16th, 2009 (7:48 am)

Do a search on YouTube for the EV1 commercials and you will be horrified. GM marketed the EV1 as a failure, and they succeeded. Looks like they are trying to sabotage the Volt as well.

Come on GM, do it right, for once. Shout from the rooftops how this automobile will be the “must have” in every driveway.

Chris

Chris

Dec 16th, 2009 (7:50 am)

Only the price of oil is gonna have an effect… And in Europe where I live, gas is very expensive (around 8$ a gallon) and all the plugs are 230V 16 amps… Compelling no ?

Chris

nuclearboy

nuclearboy

Dec 16th, 2009 (7:58 am)

This will be long forgotten by Nov 2011 (I hope).

I assume the commercials for Volt will be better. Some Metrosexual looking guy (Not Howie) who can speak intellegently will explain the Volts advantages in a clear way and the rest will be history.

One thing to consider, however, is how much marketing will really be needed for the Volt in the first 2 years since they will be hard to get.

Perhaps the Volt will just make cameo appearances at the end of adds for the whole Chevy lineup (the true halo effect). This will prove GM is seriously considering efficiency.

Look at our lineup. Equinox at 32, Malibu at 33, Cruze at 40, Spark at 42 and did we mention the Volt at 230 mpg.

Steve

Steve

Dec 16th, 2009 (7:59 am)

My take is that there is a large group of folks out there who are angry at GM either because of their own experiences with GM cars, or because of the bailout, or some other thing.

It must be very difficult to do “marketing on egsshells” but it seems like that is exactly what GM needs to do. Avoid any missteps until the Volt and the Cruze can be released, so that their plan to win people over with a cutting edge green technology can work.

The best marketing would be $4 gas signs all over the country.

FLAtRich

FLAtRich

Dec 16th, 2009 (8:02 am)

Dec 16th, 2009 (8:02 am)

The Volt priced under $40,000 combined with dependability are all the advertising GM needs. Positive word of mouth will keep the Volt on back order for the first 3 or 4 years of production.

I saw the dancers perform the Volt show live. What came to mind is that it made the Volt stand out from the 100′s of others cars on display. I give GM points for combining youth culture with Hollywood glitter in the presentation.

=D~

Danny Thai

Danny Thai

Dec 16th, 2009 (8:03 am)

I went around to many sites on the net showing the video, and comments were pretty much negative.

I don’t really understand this negativity. I see that this is not a super well done production (it is for an auto show after-all) and the song is a little childish (and a bit corny). I felt like the song conveyed the Volt’s message well. I pictured a Volt in a corn field, with a family singing the Volt song together on the back of an old Chevy pickup truck.

If you listen to the words, and not let your first thoughts overwhelm your senses, you might see what I mean. It evokes an ambiance of peacefulness and a positive outlook on the future. C’mon you guys, were really expecting a game-changing dance?

Give GM a break, they didn’t mean for the dance and song to be seen in this light. I agree with you Lyle, they should stick to good ol normal media promotions. It sucks that we probably won’t be getting a lot more creative experiences because of this experience. The Chief of Marketing is probably horrified with the reaction. But that’s how people work. I hate to say it, but most Americans want the regular commercials and stuff. They don’t want this “corny” and “badly choreographed” song and dance.

BillR

BillR

Dec 16th, 2009 (8:05 am)

jabroni:
    Do a search on YouTube for the EV1 commercials and you will behorrified. GM marketed the EV1 as a failure, and they succeeded. Lookslike they are trying to sabotage the Volt as well.Come on GM, do it right, for once. Shout from the rooftops how thisautomobile will be the “must have” in every driveway.

Actually, I think this is a neat commercial for the EV1. Too bad it never aired.

xed

xed

Dec 16th, 2009 (8:06 am)

GM just needs to release a statement like “At GM we spend a lot of time focused on making the best automobiles for today and the best automobiles of tomorrow. We don’t spend much time on dance choreography and I think it shows in this instance.”

They just need to poke fun at themselves and spin it as “we’re too busy making great cars to have a good dance so of course it stinks… Have fun watching the video and we’ll keep making great cars”.

or something to that effect…

pKIO3

pKIO3

Dec 16th, 2009 (8:18 am)

There sure is a lot of anti-GM feelings out there. ( I’ve been purhcasing GM and Ford all my life with no complaints.) You hear all sorts of negative comments about everything GM is doing regarding the Volt. Most recently the song and dance. Have you tried Googling for a Prius Song? They have one that was being performed at their display at LA and no one comments on how lame it is. It may be that neither are my taste in music, but 3 “do-woppers” singing in front of a Prius appears just as lame as the Volt song and dance that everyone is so critical of. I blame it on the advertising companies in the US.

Herm

Herm

Dec 16th, 2009 (8:30 am)

FLAtRich: We bailed the car companies out because we had to, not because we think they’re building the right kind of cars. Call me when they start marketing a car that uses no gasoline and I won’t care how badly they dance.

BillR

BillR

Dec 16th, 2009 (8:31 am)

Actually, it’s not the dance that is so bad, it’s the music.

Here’s a hint to the folks in the Marketing Dept. If these guys can get it right, so can you.

Dec 16th, 2009 (8:36 am)

The subject dance was done simply to attract attention to the Volt at the LA Auto Show. In that regard it was a success.

I once came to know the top advisor to Kemmons Wilson, the founder of Holiday Inns of America. He said their studies had all shown that the garrish, hideous sign ALL Holiday Inns used during the early rapid growth of the new chain (which like the Volt was a major change —in this case, replacing “mom & pop” motels rather than gasoline as a fuel for cars). And Holiday Inn became convinced their ugly signs contributed significantly to their explosive growth in the 50′s – 70′s …..largely because they were so ugly!

Public exposure is a strange “animal”. Publicity, even negative publicity, is often much more effective than advertising —e.g., one of the NBA’s most beloved players suffered from extensive negative publicity because (as he admitted) his lifestyle caused him to acquire HIV. More recently, another highly-regarded Lakers player, Kobe Bryant, accused of sexual assault (or rape) in a highly-publicized case, has emerged even more popular than before. If GM continues to support & encourage publicity for the Volt, such as here at gm-volt.com —even when the blogs turn negative, as they often do— it will clearly raise the public awareness of the Volt’s breakthru design and its important advantages to an average car buyer.

1230_googie.jpg

Exp_EngTech

Exp_EngTech

Dec 16th, 2009 (8:37 am)

Yo !

Volt needs a Rap.

Somebody call Flavor Flav.

mikeinatl.

mikeinatl.

Dec 16th, 2009 (8:38 am)

Imagine Lexus doing this.

Dec 16th, 2009 (8:40 am)

The best marketing for the Volt will be itself and its owners, once its on the road. Water-cooler conversations will lead to new sales.

FME III

FME III

Dec 16th, 2009 (8:42 am)

I have yet to bring myself to listen to the Volt song, let alone watch the Volt dance. Reading that it was a case of auto-show excess makes me feel better than thinking they were going to use it in an actual advertising campaign.

So it’s getting creamed on You Tube? No surprise. People are always more motivated to comment on something that they dislike.

Regardless, remember the adage: “There’s no such thing as bad publicity.” Thousands of more people are going to be aware of the Volt because of this.

joe

joe

Dec 16th, 2009 (8:52 am)

With today’s electronics, anyone can make a cheap video of a local event. Before the event at the introduction, GM should have mention this, but failed to do so——so it became a national event and it was reflected as being poor.

Dec 16th, 2009 (8:53 am)

Seems like a lot of “hub-bub” about something so insignificant. Some dancers at a show… ok… next.

The reason for all the negative comments is because most ppl like to pretend to be critics. And the person they choose to emulate most is Simon from American Idol.

I expect to see some great ads from GM come November. There are a lot of options w/the Volt. They could go for the jugular like they did w/Honda’s lawnmower.. “its self propelled”.

Dec 16th, 2009 (8:59 am)

Anyway, it does seem like GM might be going about Volt marketing in a less than ideal way. It is a shame to see such a cool and important product trivialized and tuned into a laughing stock,…

I agree.

At the same time I am amazed that a playful video carrying no deep message has taken on such a life of its own.

joe

joe

Dec 16th, 2009 (9:03 am)

joe: With today’s electronics,anyone can make a cheap video of a local event.Before the event at the introduction, GM should have mention this, butfailed to do so——so it became a national event and it was reflected as being poor.

I failed to say “a local event” rather than a cheap local event.

Dec 16th, 2009 (9:05 am)

19 FME III: I have yet to bring myself to listen to the Volt song,

It is a good song wrapped around a serious message presented in a upbeat way. I like it. You want to hear it as you see Lyle’s montage, a thoughtful selection with many symbolic moments. Together with the the montage the song is powerful because it brings back to mind so many memorable moments in Volt history, including a number of people who made favorable decisions at critical junctures.

BobS

BobS

Dec 16th, 2009 (9:08 am)

I don’t get it. This was video taped at a car show. It’s not a “commercial” intended to be televised. I’m sure those dancers in LA needed the work.

CDAVIS

CDAVIS

Dec 16th, 2009 (9:20 am)

______________________________________________________
    Help! I’m starting to like the Volt Dance Video…can’t get it out of my mind.

Anyone else out there doing a 180 on this one?
    ______________________________________________________

Sebastian

Sebastian

Dec 16th, 2009 (9:23 am)

This is pretty cheesy, I’ll have to admit. It’s not the best presentation of the product. Chevy spends lots of money for savvy PR people who already know every inch of a car show is videotaped and photographed. It shouldn’t be a surprise. Maybe an unintended consequence.

That being said, YouTube commenters are generally on the side that needs troll medication. That they hate it isn’t a representation of the potential car buying population. It’s a measure of the slightly nut-job segment.

Harry

Harry

Dec 16th, 2009 (9:34 am)

First off, don’t flame me, I love the Volt, have annoyed my friends rattling off stats of it, have it as my desktop on my work PC and laptop, and check GMVolt.com every day. However, I also disagreed with the bailouts and thought GM and Chrysler should have gone for bankruptcy right away instead of sucking more money from the feds.

In this day and age of marketing, ANYTHING you put out can and will be viewed. And this song and dance combo is pretty bottom of the barrel. The dancing looks like stock moves not suited to the Juno-esque Volt song. And the song itself is not going to get the most play, due to it’s sing-song nature. They really need to think out how they are perceived by the public. They can either do well with the Volt launch, or go the way of the EV1. I am hoping they do well.

Harry

Dec 16th, 2009 (9:36 am)

If this is something most car makers do at a car show, then a powerful social force seems responsible for exploding it out of context. That powerful social force would seem to be a great pent-up disgust with GM over the bailout, SUVs, EV-1, ad nauseum.

This underscores the point that the Volt has to be bang on and perfect to counteract popular perception; but also shows how the advertising has to be right, too. There is such a thing as bad advertising; no one should underestimate the power of a bad commercial to harm the intended beneficiary:

Srsly, I’m relieved to hear that a silly car show jingle doesn’t appear to be related to GM’s overall marketing scheme; a technical tour de force like the Volt deserves so much more than the same old song and dance.

ArkansasVolt

ArkansasVolt

Dec 16th, 2009 (9:37 am)

CDAVIS: Anyone else out there doing a 180 on this one?

I am with you on that. When I first saw it, I was disgusted; however, now, I find it quite nice to view.

Dec 16th, 2009 (9:43 am)

I couldn’t watch the entire thing. sorry. It’s really bad.

That said, ‘bad’ is the new good. Any traffic (especially free Internet traffic 100,000 views? yikes!) is a good thing imho.

There are very few people I talk to IRL that have even heard of the Volt much less know anything about the technology. And these are technical people I’m talking about!

Dec 16th, 2009 (9:44 am)

Attn Marketing Dept:

I’ve seen some impressive digital video effects in YouTube where singers like Elvis or Nat King Cole are brought back to life and inserted into the commercial.

Now I’m not suggesting that you stick with the “jingle” type commercial, but if you do, how about Dinah Shore singing “See the USA in your Chevrolet”…

If that doesn’t float your boat, my favorite is still Steppenwolf and “Magic Carpet Ride”…!

maharguitar

maharguitar

Dec 16th, 2009 (9:51 am)

Different things appeal to different people. A cheesy dance at an auto show is pretty much par for the course. However, I wonder why nobody ever commented on the current Prius commercial. They have hundreds of people dress up like land scape. They show the Prius and the song in the background is: “Dumb Dumb – Dumb Dumb”. I wonder what is dumb. The Prius or the commercial.

Dec 16th, 2009 (9:54 am)

The dance was so, I dunno, auto-show. Yes it was taken out of context, but it was so completely lame that it’s an embarrassment (if you aren’t self-aware enough to understand this, more on this later). Of course what’s ironic and amusing is that Fox — the home of Beck, O’Reilly, and Hannity — all of whom are equally embarrassing (Stewart and Colbert would be lost without these guys) — would point this out. I can envision a very funny montage of Beck crying and O’Reilly ranting mixed in with this video and Fox’s criticism of it. That would be funny.

As an aside, trade show attendance is way down across most industries and I suspect auto shows are not an exception. There are so many alternative ways to gather information that auto shows are no longer terribly useful. GM should rethink its traditional trade-show approach and, if they decide to go, do so with a more mature mindset. IOW leave this stuff for Vegas.

But back to the video: What’s a shame here is that GM didn’t try to be kitschy and do this piece itself. Had they filmed this dance and then released it — with somewhat better quality — it would have been brilliant. Instead what we get are slick overproduced set pieces that are released on Voltage. These are informative and well done but they’re so polished that they scream “Ad” and, as a consequence, are not very effective because they lack authenticity. Basically GM still seems both self-absorbed — it doesn’t understand when something is so truly bad as to be funny — and stuck in the 60s as far as marketing communications is concerned.

So while nasaman is right about the benefits of “ugly”, the problem here is that GM had no intention of doing ugly. What happened is some random person shot some video of something GM seemingly didn’t want published. (There is a big difference in doing something bad and knowing you’ve done something bad). At this point the best thing for GM to do is to EMBRACE the video and start laughing along with everyone. If they have some better video of this dance, by all means post it. Whatever it does, GM should not run from the video at this point. It has a hit here and it should run with it.

Dr.Science #11 on the list

Dr.Science #11 on the list

Dec 16th, 2009 (9:55 am)

TACKY!! Very unprofessional.

Kent

Kent

Dec 16th, 2009 (9:59 am)

I still want a VOLT….

Starcast

Starcast

Dec 16th, 2009 (10:04 am)

No big deal. If you have ever been to an auto show there is lots of this kind of crap.

evnow

evnow

Dec 16th, 2009 (10:22 am)

If Fox thinks it is bad – it must be good ?

Not really. But – that gives us an idea of what kind of people will not like it. Hypocrites who didn’t like bailing out GM in the first place. They wanted GM to fail – 100s of thousands of jobs lost and then blame it on Obama.

GM has now become a political football. Just like climate change.

Vlad the Impaler

Vlad the Impaler

Dec 16th, 2009 (10:27 am)

It was just for the Auto Show. They would never show that on TV as an ad for the Volt.

LeoK

LeoK

Dec 16th, 2009 (10:38 am)

Cheesy.

The only word that comes to mind when viewed without benefit of any other context. Here on this site, we know the song was written to help educate young school children. Used in a video shown to grammar school kids the song is perfectly suited. Add some dancers and take it to an auto show… more shock than substance, but it likely attracted some attention.

BUT, taken completely out of context and played online as a music video…. results are not good.

The unfortunate part of all this attention is that FIRST IMPRESSIONS do mean something. And for thousands of consumers who already don’t like GM, this has become their first impression of the Chevy VOLT.

In hindsight, which is always 20/20, this is all unfortunate. But I agree with xed @ 11 above – GM is smart enough to turn all this negative attention into a positive!

Dec 16th, 2009 (10:41 am)

maharguitar: Different things appeal to different people.A cheesy dance at an auto show is pretty much par for the course.However, I wonder why nobody ever commented on the current Prius commercial.They have hundreds of people dress up like land scape. They show the Prius and the song in the background is:“Dumb Dumb – Dumb Dumb”. I wonder what is dumb.The Prius or the commercial.

The point of a commercial is:

Do you remember the product? (Yes, it’s Prius.)

I kind of like it in a CGI Tele-Tubbie sort of way.
    2007-3-27-teletubbies.jpeg

George in Berkeley

George in Berkeley

Dec 16th, 2009 (10:49 am)

OK, I’ll say it. I LOVED the dance and song. Auto shows are supposed to be a little trashy. Ever glanced at the auto-parts calendar hanging on your mechanic’s wall? I thought this dance was a tongue-in-cheek retro throwback and I loved it. Encore!

stuart22

stuart22

Dec 16th, 2009 (10:51 am)

The problem I see is that GM isn’t hip in the minds of most everybody out there, so any kind of message that says you ARE hip will lack credibility and therefore is destined to fall flat on its face.

At this point in time, GM’s got to be more contrite with their marketing messages. Just stay with the facts, ma’am. Be very economical, subliminal with the emotional messages – in other words, tout your assets, then shut up. NEVER give any hint of smugness.

If and when there becomes a positive shift in credibility among the masses, THEN allow a little pride and bragadoccio into the message.

Dec 16th, 2009 (10:52 am)

Okay. Here’s my second choice:

“Vehicle” — The Ides of March

with such great lines like:

“I’m your vehicle babe. I’ll take you anywhere you want to go…”

“…You know I want’cha! Need’ya! I got’ta have’ya!”

Well, you get the point.
    A high-energy rock classic trumps Sesame Street every time.

;)

Dec 16th, 2009 (10:56 am)

The important thing is the video did nothing to convince me
    not to buy a Volt.

Dec 16th, 2009 (11:06 am)

Vlad the Impaler: So let’s drop it and talk about how the Volt is superior to the Prius in every way except initial cost.

OK (suspiciously sarcastic) thread hijacker… I’ll take the bait.

What is the initial cost? We have only seen swag (scientific-wild-ass-guess) ‘estimates’.

When 2011 Prius plug-in and 2011 Volt hit the showrooms (and 2011 plug-in Focus and 2011 Leaf), we will know the pricing. Until I can walk in and negotiate a deal, it’s just speculation.

I doubt there’s gonna be very much difference between them because ‘It’s a Chevy’! If GM is anything, they are competitive on pricing.

May the best car win!

stuart22

stuart22

Dec 16th, 2009 (11:10 am)

I just saw the video — Lyle, if you had anything to do with putting that on Youtube, shame on you.

Had I attended the car show and saw that dance live, I’d have been fine with it. It works, given the context of the auto show.

But…….the Youtube video was a disaster due to its poor visual quality and poor sound quality. The graphics at the beginning which suggested that GM was somehow involved with its production turned out to be a dirty trick played on GM. My feeling is that whoever was responsible for this horrible thing ought to be shot.

Is there any way of getting that video deleted?

statik

statik

Dec 16th, 2009 (11:23 am)

I totally have the entire routine choreographed…I do it often, but only in public where it can be truly appreciated. It is clearly the ‘Thriller’ of 2009.

volt-dance.jpg
    GM-Volt.com…increasing the US unemployment numbers by about, um…4 I’d say. Not expecting to see this come to the NAIAS next month.

Sidenote: In context, (at a auto show), I actually thought the tune itself was catchy.

As for the song & dance?
    /glorious train wreck

Larry

Larry

Dec 16th, 2009 (11:25 am)

I liked it; positive message with some real information. The dancers might not make the top 10 on “So you think you can dance”, but I give GM points for hiring young people to promote their product.

I guarantee that 99.99% of everybody who criticize the dancing would themselves not be able to do nearly as well. Negative comments seem to reveal more about the commenter than the subject. IMHO

Dec 16th, 2009 (11:26 am)

stuart22: Is there any way of getting that video deleted?

Take a look at nissan.com if you don’t believe. So funny.

Gary

Gary

Dec 16th, 2009 (11:29 am)

Ugh. If you if you search YouTube for “kaizenettes”, you will see some pretty cheezy performances for Toyota. Some examples:

stuart22

stuart22

Dec 16th, 2009 (11:33 am)

This has nothing to do with free speech – there’s no ‘point of view’ to it. Delete it for bad taste. And for the lead credits that suggest GM made it, approved it, or whatever… because if they didn’t, then its akin to being libelous.

I’m sorry I’m being so harsh, but it was a big mistake that bombed badly. I’m just very disappointed, because I really want GM to rise again, and anything like this that threatens derailment hurts.

Loboc:
    The Internet is a free-for-all and that’s a good thing. It’s the ultimate free speech arena.Deliberately suppressing a point-of-view will surely backfire in the wild-wild-west that is the Internet. Besides, you can’t do it. Any suppressed (or attempt to suppress) content immediately arrives from someone’s hdd back into the fray.Take a look at nissan.com if you don’t believe. So funny.

Bill

Bill

Dec 16th, 2009 (11:33 am)

This is a non-issue. Lets move on.

LauraM

LauraM

Dec 16th, 2009 (11:40 am)

I have to admit that I haven’t been able to bring myself to watch the video. And since I’m at work right now, I can’t watch it. But if it does a decent job of explaining how the Volt works, that’s far more important, IMHO, than what people think of GM’s marketing,

I don’t believe there is no such thing as bad publicity. The bankruptcies were bad publicity. No one wants to buy a car from an automaker that might not exist in six months. And, I doubt Toyota’s numerous recent safety issues are going to help their bottom line.

But no one’s going to base their decision on whether or not to buy the Volt on how badly choreographed their dance was. So, this probably falls more into the so bad it’s good category.

Frank B

Frank B

Dec 16th, 2009 (11:53 am)

You can’t judge anything by what Cluster Fox News says. No matter what the administration does or what policies it’s pursues Fix News will slander, misrepresent and/or outright lie about it or it’s effects. So in time this will fade away and hopefully when the Volt is on the market and proves itself that’s what the news will be and they will proudly say, “Your Tax $$$ at Work”, with exception of course of Cluster Fox News.

Gary

Gary

Dec 16th, 2009 (11:56 am)

Nissan went into bankruptcy as well before they were taken over by Renault:

Maybe GM should have put the Volt dancers on a white background, employed children, and it would have been better in Fox news’ eyes.

Joe

Joe

Dec 16th, 2009 (11:56 am)

mikeinatl.: Imagine Lexus doing this.  (Quote)

LRGVProVolt

LRGVProVolt

Dec 16th, 2009 (12:02 pm)

CDAVIS: ______________________________________________________
    Help! I’m starting to like the Volt Dance Video…can’t get it out of my mind.Strange thing happening…after my big time initial dislike of the Volt dance video…then reading the widespread negative comments bout the video…I’m now starting to like the dance video (taking it into context)…I’m perplexed by my change of heart…it did take the Volt viral on YouTube…some sort of genius GM marketing scheme?…was Lyle an clever accomplice of this marketing trick?Two Thumbs Up for the Volt Video Dance…let’s lighten up and give those dance performers a pat on the back for helping get the Volt visibility in a fun way.Anyone else out there doing a 180 on this one?
    ______________________________________________________

I didn’t take a 180; I liked it from the start! And I like what you now say about the Volt song and dance.

So far the comments given to this point give a wide view of why they got such a negative response. The Holiday Inn comment by Nasaman was a good example of how peoples impressions can change. What Holiday Inn patrons saw were “mom & pop” hotels, a symbol of good accommodations for travelers. The ugly signs caught their attention and sparked thought about what Holiday Inn represented. As they experienced what Holiday Inns service meant, the chain became more popular. The same effect will happen with the Volt: the Volt song and dance will get peoples attention, perhaps negative as indicated on YouTube.com but ultimately people will see that the Chevy Volt is All that It Is And Can Be, a Supercar.

Happy trails to you ’til we meet again.

MuddyRoverRob

MuddyRoverRob

Dec 16th, 2009 (12:07 pm)

Joe: A car company with any kind of class wouldn’t need all the hoopla to try to attract customers using cheap parlor tricks.  (Quote)

I submit that no one at Lexus could possibly be awake long enough to come up with anything funny at all!

The song and dance thing was an autoshow noisemaker, a non-issue… this is my one and only comment on the subject.

LRGVProVolt

LRGVProVolt

Dec 16th, 2009 (12:09 pm)

My take on the YouTube showing:

Did they watch the video – Yes

Do they now know what a Chevy Volt is – Yes

Will they remember the video next time they see or hear about the Volt – Yes

Will GM’s future Volt ads be important – Yes

What more can you expect from an inexpensive song and inexpensive dance routine at an auto show? But it has and will get the attention of anyone seeing it. All Good for the Volt.

Happy trails to you ’til we meet again.

Bruce

Bruce

Dec 16th, 2009 (12:17 pm)

They could have Tiger Woods driving around with 3 of his mistresses, and it wouldn’t change the fact that Volt only needs gas when you go to Florida to visit Disney World, for 80% of Americans.

canehdian

canehdian

Dec 16th, 2009 (12:25 pm)

I don’t know what’s better:
    The volt dance or fox’s slogan in their banner.
    Fox News: Fair and Balanced.
    I laughed, hard.

Dec 16th, 2009 (12:35 pm)

statik: It is clearly the ‘Thriller’ of 2009.

I must say, it would have been better if Michael Jackson had done the choreography… or as he would have said it: “HEE heee!”

Roger

Roger

Dec 16th, 2009 (12:36 pm)

a lot of bad publicity associated with the bailout. but i read in the news the other day that gm intends to repay all its tax payer bailout, so i think they can make as many songs and dances as they like. http://apnews.excite.com/article/20091215/D9CJQHT81.html

dagwood55

dagwood55

Dec 16th, 2009 (12:46 pm)

GM did commission the jingle, so they have only themselves to blame for that but the dance looks like a couple of GM’s office workers spontaneously decided to choreograph a little dance to go along with it.

It’s GM’s real misfortune that Fox News saw an opportunity to take an oblique swipe at the new Administration through GM.

CDAVIS

CDAVIS

Dec 16th, 2009 (12:46 pm)

______________________________________________________
    #47 Statik Said:
    “I totally have the entire routine choreographed…I do it often, but only in public where it can be truly appreciated…”
    ———————-

lol!
    I dare you to post a YouTube link of that…
    ______________________________________________________

dagwood55

dagwood55

Dec 16th, 2009 (12:47 pm)

Of course, it’s also GM’s own fault that they’re continually drawing attention to a product that hasn’t gone into production, yet. No good can come of that.

LRGVProVolt

LRGVProVolt

Dec 16th, 2009 (12:47 pm)

Vlad the Impaler: It was just for the Auto Show.They would never show that on TV as an ad for the Volt.So let’s drop it and talk about how the Volt is superior to the Prius in every way except initial cost.

Ditto!

Happy trails to you ’til we meet again.

Augustine

Augustine

Dec 16th, 2009 (12:56 pm)

To see the video in context, visit Sunpluggers.com and click on “Video Highlights from the LA Auto Show.” It was, as Lyle Dennis suggests, a campy, lighthearted attention-getter, much like the performance of the hybrid Prius singers also shown in the Sunpluggers video.

A look at some of the websites venomously attacking the video shows that many have a strong right-wing political orientation, including some of the car sites.

Those kids had the courage to go up and perform in front of large audiences, which psychologists have agreed is one of the most difficult things a person can do. Most of the commenters on the anti-Volt websites would never have the guts to do that; they prefer to cloak their venom in the anonymity of the Internet.

Dec 16th, 2009 (1:02 pm)

Prediction:

This thread ain’t gettin any where near 300 comments.

Buddy P

Buddy P

Dec 16th, 2009 (1:15 pm)

Unfortunatly all the other news broadcasts are worse. I did not agree with what Fox posted up, which was just the photo with “tax dollars at work” written on it. The article was fine. Besides they pulled it off within a short time.

Fox’s website is a far cry from their broadcasting station.

Frank B: You can’t judge anything by what Cluster Fox News says.No matter what the administration does or what policies it’s pursues Fix News will slander, misrepresent and/or outright lie about it or it’s effects.So in time this will fade away and hopefully when the Volt is on the market and proves itself that’s what the news will be and they will proudly say, “Your Tax $$$ at Work”, with exception of course of Cluster Fox News.

Buddy P

Buddy P

Dec 16th, 2009 (1:18 pm)

you have GOT to be kidding me, your going to play the race card?

Grow up.

Grouch

Grouch

Dec 16th, 2009 (1:20 pm)

As for the dance, that’s just what happens at tradeshows. If you’ve represented your employer at a big one, you understand. If not, you probably think it’s a crazy ostentatious waste. But hiring those dancers and flying them to the host city probably cost less than the background graphics in the booth, so whatever.

As for the updated commercial in this post, 30mpg in an Aveo is anti-impressive. Small cars have been supposed to get 30mpg for the entire time I’ve been driving (since the mid 1990s), so saying “we meet the historical minimum requirements for competence” just doesn’t make me want to take an Aveo for a test-drive. Also, we’ve rented them when we travel and, while the car was basically competent, it really was a penalty box without any compensations. Examples of a compensations would be 50ish mpgs, a stack of electronic gadgets built into the dashboard, extraordinarily good use of interior space, or a price that’s so low that I don’t have to finance it. Overall, both advertising the Aveo at all, and talking about 30mpg like it’s good mileage, give me a negative impression.

The Tahoe (hybrid or otherwise) just does not match the way I live — so I took mild offense to the part of the commercial claiming that it “matched the way [I] live”. It would require a lot of extra work to maneuver a vehicle that big into parking spots that I use at either end of my commute, so it’s not feasible as a daily driver — not to mention $50k and 20mpg I keep a “big” vehicle around, but it gets 5mpg more than the hybrid tahoe, only cost me $6500, and it sits for a 2-3 weeks at a time until I need to haul a heavy object. Putting a $50k SUV into my household’s “heavy hauler” slot is not compatible with my lifestyle — it’d cost me 90 times what my heavy-hauling beater cost me (not counting operating expenses), and I’d feel bad about ripping up a $50k interior with a sheet of plywood, rough lumber, sand, or compost.

So I had a fairly negative reaction to the commercial, even though I liked the time-lapse video at the beginning.

Maybe this commercial was intended to preach to the choir, rather than gain new customers?

The Howie Mandel commercials that compared GM’s offerings to well-regarded vehicles from competing manufacturers were much better. I could have done without the lawn-mower joke, though.

dagwood55

dagwood55

Dec 16th, 2009 (1:31 pm)

LRGVProVolt: Ditto! As far as the cost issue, the media stated that Prius’s price initially would be about $48,000. Someone posted that a fully equipped Prius would be up around $32,000 The Volt projected at $40,000 with the $7,500 IRS rebate thrown in comes down to $33,500 and that’s not considering any state rebate!Happy trails to you ’til we meet again.  (Quote)

The media’s not to blame for the $48K price… GM execs have named a wide range or prices and $48K was one of the prices mentioned by Wagoner at one time.

No good comes of over-hyping products not yet for sale.

Tall Pete

Tall Pete

Dec 16th, 2009 (1:38 pm)

dagwood55: it’s also GM’s own fault that they’re continually drawing attention to a product that hasn’t gone into production, yet. No good can come of that.

I don’t agree with you on that one. Just because awareness of the Volt is high for followers of this site doesn’t mean it’s high in society in general.

If you want to be able to ramp up the production fast, you need to build awareness and excitement long before the production begins so that demand will exceed supply continuously as more Volts become available.

Drawing attention on the Volt now is a must so that people change their perception of GM products. There is much to do on that front

LauraM

LauraM

Dec 16th, 2009 (1:39 pm)

dagwood55: I feel real pangs of sorrow for GM’s employees, all the time. Sometimes, I can even feel a bit of pity for GM’s management. This is one of those rare instances.

I feel very sorry for anyone working at GM. Management and otherwise. The top management probably still makes a very nice salary, although I believe Whiteacre and the rest of the board of directors are still on the $1 a year. But money isn’t everything. They’ve got an extremely difficult job. And every guy on the street probably thinks he can do it better than they can. And there are politicians and members of the media, and even the public, who are dying to criticize them given the slightest opportunity.

By the way, I hope they’re saving a substantial portion of that high salary since job security seems to be non-existant. And having GM on your resume probably won’t help with future job applications…

Dec 16th, 2009 (1:57 pm)

stuart22: This has nothing to do with free speech – there’s no ‘point of view’ to it. Delete it for bad taste.

Lighten up Stuart,

Communist, socialist, American or whatever: ya just doesn’t has ta press ‘play’ :) There’s way worse content out there.

JeremyK

JeremyK

Dec 16th, 2009 (2:06 pm)

If anyone ever reads the “Buzz” comments sections on Yahoo news, you’ll find nothing but nasty comments (nasty toward the current administration) from a small but very vocal and organized group of what I would call “right wing nut jobs”. Just my opinion. I suspect all this talk about using bailout money, etc is from these types and should therefore be ignored.

ccwfong

ccwfong

Dec 16th, 2009 (2:10 pm)

GM needs to fire all of its marketing execs. They have no clue.

Starcast

Starcast

Dec 16th, 2009 (2:28 pm)

evnow: If GM has now become a political football. Just like climate change.  (Quote)

dagwood55

dagwood55

Dec 16th, 2009 (2:29 pm)

LauraM writes, “I feel very sorry for anyone working at GM. Management and otherwise.”

That is because you are a good and kind person.

I, on the other hand, am a …

By the way, executive compensation aside, it’s my understanding that GM’s wages for engineers and other professionals is below average. Too bad… if they’re going to survive and thrive, they’re going to need top talent.

Tall Pete says GM’s not overhyping the Volt to its detriment.

I disagree. The whole program started with Bob Lutz doing the design on a napkin, taking a SWAG at the price and shooting his mouth off.

It has been overhyped from the get-go.

The overhyping and even TV advertising of the original concept led to as much bad reaction as positive (we have finally reached the point where we can get through an entire thread without a few people whining that the original looked sooo much cooler).

The 230mpg claim is a fiasco. Can you put five gallons of gas in it and drive from Minneapolis to Chicago and back? No.

Aside from most GM-Volt regulars, nobody understands the powertrain (and even some here certainly don’t, in fact we can’t be sure any of us do).

In their zeal to claim a piece of the Volt pie, too many of GM’s suits have talked about the vehicle without actually knowing what it will do.

The length of time between press rides and press rides in CS mode was confusing, to say the least, and led to concerns over what GM might be hiding (turns out it’s merely not quite as seamless as you might like… so what?).

GM really needs to take a chapter out of Toyota’s playbook… just give engineering goals and cost targets, let them do the work and then roll the car onto the stage when it’s ready to go. The ’05 Prius was shown publicly for the first time only when it was fully developed, in January or February of ’04, when they were nailing the production line into place and it was for sale in April or May of that same year. Toyota didn’t handcuff engineering to some executive’s premature announcementulation, they just let people do the best work they could and then sold the product at a decent price.

Further, Tall Pete, you say, “if you want to ramp up production fast…” as a reason for GM’s overhyping of the car, which might be a reason or sorts except GM doesn’t intend to ramp up production fast. Just 10K in the first full year is not much production. Especially when you consider that gas-electric drivetrains are not new. The Volt is a new twist on that but it’s not going to be different enough in the public perception for GM to get away with treating it as radically different.

The Volt still has a fuel filler port. Ergo, for John Q. Public, it’s “just like the Prius.” Maybe John Q. Public is wrong about this but that’s his privilege; it’s still GM’s responsibility to sell the car to people who are wrong.

stuart22

stuart22

Dec 16th, 2009 (2:35 pm)

Loboc:
    Lighten up Stuart,Communist, socialist, American or whatever: ya just doesn’t has ta press ‘play’ There’s way worse content out there.

Funny – I’ve never been called a Communist before…. you are showing your age, old man. The Red Scare is long over.

Too bad the 100,000+ people who saw the video and overwhelmingly gave it failing marks weren’t able to hear you tell them your ‘ya just doesn’t has ta press ‘play” nugget of ‘wisdom.’

Oh yeah — it’ll certainly comfort GM to know that these people didn’t have to press ‘PLAY’, won’t it…..

BlackSun

BlackSun

Dec 16th, 2009 (3:18 pm)

The problem is the cutesy song in the first place. Whoever approved that should be fired. And the dancers look really amateur.

Marketing involves two things: Presenting information and understanding the zeitgeist. They could have spent a few bucks on focus groups and figured out this would be a disaster.

It vibes like a pitch aimed at mid-twenties women. Not at all the target demo. They needed something for thirty something to middle aged early-adopters who have the cash to buy a Volt. This would skew mostly male. Every male is going to gag on that song and dance number.

Having said all that, Fox News is just salivating for any way to trash anything to do with the government. So take any comments from the tea-bag crowd with a grain of salt.

In the end, the Volt will do fine. It will sell on its merits. But they need a new ad agency. After the ridiculous MPG campaign and now this? Do they really want to risk the entire future of Volt marketing with these morons they have on their payroll?

joe

joe

Dec 16th, 2009 (3:23 pm)

Joe Says:

***********************************************************************
    joe says:

Let’s not confuse ( joe ) with “Joe” . I’ve had this problem before, but it’s been a long time.
    I’ve been here since this site started so I wish “Joe” with the capitol letter would change name.

CaptJackSparrow

CaptJackSparrow

Dec 16th, 2009 (3:55 pm)

After afew beers the video’s hilarious!!!!

I like the blond in the front. :-P

Dec 16th, 2009 (4:06 pm)

BlackSun: It vibes like a pitch aimed at mid-twenties women. Not at all the target demo. They needed something for thirty something to middle aged early-adopters

The influence of 20-something females on 30-something (or older) males should not be discounted so easily :)

BlackSun

BlackSun

Dec 16th, 2009 (4:39 pm)

Good point! Still think they could have done much better.

ProfessorGordon

ProfessorGordon

Dec 16th, 2009 (4:42 pm)

No worries. Granted, GM has some public perception and bad feelings to overcome but the new focus on energy efficiency and high quality in time will IMO erode these negatives and the Volt shows uncharacteristic vision. I really do like the 2008 Olympic ad and I think this kind will strike a chord with a lot of Americans. The Volt is the symbol of so much we want, freedom from slavery to imported oil, clean, fun, and quality plus (for Americans) pride in the fact that it’s home-grown and innovative. Once the Volt is widely available and the price comes down and gas prices go up, I believe its own merits will sell it, even to some of those who are currently “100%” sure they won’t buy one ;-)

Dec 16th, 2009 (4:54 pm)

ProfessorGordon: No worries.Granted, GM has some public perception and bad feelings to overcome but the new focus on energy efficiency and high quality in time will IMO erode these negatives and the Volt shows uncharacteristic vision.I really do like the 2008 Olympic ad and I think this kind will strike a chord with a lot of Americans.The Volt is the symbol of so much we want, freedom from slavery to imported oil, clean, fun, and quality plus (for Americans) pride in the fact that it’s home-grown and innovative.Once the Volt is widely available and the price comes down and gas prices go up, I believe its own merits will sell it, even to some of those who are currently “100%” sure they won’t buy one

I was scanning the comments given in this thread and although I didn’t read every one, I was really impressed with the level of negativity going on today. Maybe I just missed the positive ones. Then I got to your comment and really just wanted to say: “Thanks.”
    Be well,

Let’s Just Get The Volts’ Wheels On The Road!!**********NPNS

Dec 16th, 2009 (5:03 pm)

Jackson: Prediction:This thread ain’t gettin any where near 300 comments.

I sure hope you’re correct!
    Be well,

Let’s Just Get The Volts’ Wheels On The Road!!**********NPNS

Dec 16th, 2009 (5:08 pm)

stuart22: I’ve never been called a Communist before…. you are showing your age, old man. The Red Scare is long over.

I defend your rights, Stu, to post your opinion. Doesn’t mean I agree with it :)

Probably need to rethink this one, Stu. The territory changes, but, the threat does not. Unless 9-11 is a completely forgotten memory?

Some of my buddies were killed in ‘Nam. And some of my buddies’ kids are being killed on foreign turf still today. So, yeah, I got some experience in this area.

Everyone has the right of free speech. Period.

You can stick your fingers in your ears and yell ‘la la la la’ all day long, but, stuff you don’t like will still be posted/printed/videoed/presented.

The 100k people with the opposing view also have the right to say it’s crap.

imho, this video won’t negatively impact Volt sales by a single car. “Margie, I really don’t want a Volt because of that stupid video they had a couple years ago on youtube”. Ain’t gonna happen.

Dec 16th, 2009 (5:09 pm)

Augustine: Some sites, such as the one that calls itself Fox “News,” are using the video to tap latent racial animosities, especially the idea that some racially mixed urban kids from L.A. might be getting some tax dollars that should rightfully go to the wealthy.

Er, wow. I’m stunned. :-(
    Be well,

Let’s Just Get The Volts’ Wheels On The Road!!**********NPNS

Lee

Lee

Dec 16th, 2009 (5:37 pm)

To feel that strongly about a dance, either way, is silly. People have to much time in their hands.

smells foul

smells foul

Dec 16th, 2009 (5:40 pm)

GM ARE YOU TRYING TO KILL THE VOLT WITH THIS PR CRAP . SOMEONE SHOULD BE FIRED FOR THIS RIGHT NOW !!! NO ONE WILL WANT TO BUY A CHEVY VOLT AFTER THIS PR STINKY MESS!!!

me here

me here

Dec 16th, 2009 (6:51 pm)

the dance was bad, but the song is worse …

David Wilson

David Wilson

Dec 16th, 2009 (7:30 pm)

Anyone who says they will buy a different make of car or will not buy the volt over a song is either a liar or an idiot, and no offence to americans but thats the sort of silly thing that really could only eventuate from an american. In the rest of the western world and especially here in australia we judge things on there merit, you don’t have to like the song and if people say they won’t buy a volt then good on them, because that leaves more for the sensible people who will be buying them to save the environment…

David Wilson

David Wilson

Dec 16th, 2009 (7:43 pm)

O.K that was a bit unfair because we have our fair share of people in Australia that would say the same thing we call them retards over here, I just cannot believe someone would say a stupid thing like i am not buying a chevy truck because of the volt song, it worrys me that i have to share the world with such a retard

98. [...] &#71M-Vo&#108&#116.&#99om, [...]

evnow

evnow

Dec 16th, 2009 (8:59 pm)

Starcast Like climategate? Did I miss something? Are there Emails by GM about how to cook the numbers so the volt looks like it gets 1,000,000 MPG? ;>)

If you had spent even a little bit time to understand the facts you would have known climate change is much more than deniergate.

Dec 16th, 2009 (9:07 pm)

evnow: deniergate

I don’t know this term, can you help me out?
    TIA,
    Be well,

Let’s Just Get The Volts’ Wheels On The Road!!**********NPNS

LauraM

LauraM

Dec 16th, 2009 (10:46 pm)

Herm: The Dreamliner flew yesterday.. finally!, hopefully we wont have to bail out Boeing, another company too big to fail.

We’ve been subsidizing Boeing with inflated defense contracts for decades. And, in return, they’ve gone out of their way to outsource every possible task they can think of to every country they want orders from. And, in the process, transferred American taxpayer funded technology overseas.

Tagamet

Dec 16th, 2009 (10:50 pm)

LauraM: So, please, explain to me again why I’m supposed to be happy about the dreamliner?

It uses 20% less fuel?
    Be well,

Let’s Just Get The Volts’ Wheels On The Road!!**********NPNS

LauraM

LauraM

Dec 16th, 2009 (11:14 pm)

Tagamet: It uses 20% less fuel?

I know. It is a major accomplishment. It will reduce fuel use (which is obviously very important), and is better for the environment. And it might result in cheaper air flights, which is great for me personally.

And Boeing is still an American company. One of the few that’s still a net exporter.

It just bothers me that the US taxpayer has been basically supporting this company for years, and this is how they thank us. Meanwhile Airbus still does the bulk of their work in Britain, France, Germany and Spain. And, given the dollar, all of those countries (except maybe Spain) have higher wage rates than the US.

BB

BB

Dec 16th, 2009 (11:14 pm)

Everyone is taking this too seriously. I personally think the video is amusing! And to anyone who complains about the quality, what do you expect? It’s ridiculous to demand that every person who films something interesting somewhere they go one day just for fun to have a top notch video camera.

Have a little respect for the dancers, as well. The truth is, they’re not /bad/ dancers, but people like to pretend they’re critics and say “no, no, they were terrible.”

105. [...] GM-Volt.com, [...]

Tagamet

Dec 16th, 2009 (11:35 pm)

LauraM:
    I know.It is a major accomplishment.It will reduce fuel use (which is obviously very important), and is better for the environment.And it might result in cheaper air flights, which is great for me personally.And Boeing is still an American company.One of the few that’s still a net exporter.It just bothers me that the US taxpayer has been basically supporting this company for years, and this is how they thank us.Meanwhile Airbus still does the bulk of their work in Britain, France, Germany and Spain.And, given the dollar, all of those countries (except maybe Spain) have higher wage rates than the US.http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSLC34354120091012Meanwhile, if they hadn’t gone outsourcing crazy, the Dreamliner might have flown two years ago.http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/dnflash/content/jan2009/db20090116_971202.htm

Be well,

Let’s Just Get The Volts’ Wheels On The Road!!**********NPNS

LauraM

LauraM

Dec 17th, 2009 (12:23 am)

Tagamet: Thanks for the links and I agree about the egregious outsourcing. I just don’t know how we should deal with it. Maybe it’s just something that *shouldn’t* be dealt with (by the government). I have such mixed feelings – it’s a hot-button issue that probably shouldn’t be dealt with emotionally (otherwise I’d just smack ‘em).

Yes, I do think the government should get involved. Other countries routinely use subsidies to get our companies to do their producing in their countries. And if our government doesn’t fight back, we’ll lose what’s left of our deteriorating manufacturing base.

And in this case, if I were President (or had any other political power), I would call the CEO Jim McNerney, and tell him that if they value their extremely profitable defense contracts, they might want to reconsider transferring sensitive technology (like the wing) to other countries.

This isn’t Apple or Hewlett Packard, or even IBM. This is Boeing, a major defense contractor. A company that got 52% of its revenue last year from defense contracts. They made a profit on their defense division, and a loss in their commericial aviation business. They need the US government’s good will. And they shouldn’t be allowed to outsource with impunity. (IBM also has defense contracts, but it’s not nearly as critical to their bottom line.)

On the other hand, we’ve awarded defense contracts to European manufacturers in the past few years. So why shouldn’t Boeing outsource?

108. [...] GM-Volt.com, Green Car [...]

109. [...] GM-Volt.com, Green Car [...]

George

George

Dec 18th, 2009 (8:03 pm)

Here’s my opinion and I know I’m going to be hated for it.

I find the dance corny and silly, as well, but it was not meant to be spread outside the context of the auto show.

You, the creator of the YouTube channel, named it “GMVolt” and used the official Volt logo (for which you might get very well sued if this goes horribly wrong).

You created a domain name using the official name of the product – “gm-volt.com” for which you can get sued as well if they can prove your activity is counterproductive to their marketing strategy (just check Microsoft’s history in this matter). You posted that link in the description of that video, making it appear like an official GM advertising release.

People don’t hate the song necessarily. They hate the alleged marketing move, because most of them believe it’s part of GM’s media marketing campaign trying to attract attention on the Internet, when, in fact, it was a single-moment-single-location event. People believe GM’s advertising strategy went wrong with that video, when, in fact, it does not belong to them in the first place.

What you should have done, in my opinion, is post clear information that the video does not belong to GM, and your YouTube channel and your website have nothing in common with GM’s official website or any other sort of public releases.

Now the issue has been amplified by the fact that important automotive websites have posted this as part of GM’s marketing strategy, which is definitely not true.

Dave99

Dave99

Dec 19th, 2009 (1:00 am)

wow, a friend just posted this one on facebook …

… as bad as the Volt dance was, it could have been worse

eightjack

eightjack

Dec 21st, 2009 (1:32 am)

The problem with the Promotional dance/song is that the song is a breathy, emo style hipster ditty a la’ Kimya Dawson, while the dancing is full-on, heavy-beat hip-hop.

In other words, the dancers are bumping and thumping hard, as though riding a heavy beat. But what we actually hear is the thready voices of little girls twittering practically acapella. It’s as though somebody took the old Andy Griffith theme song, whistling and all, and choreographed break-dancing to it. This is a fundamental disconnect which combines the worst aspects of amatuerishness, incompetence and cultural tone-deafness.

Good move GM, way to once again present yourselves as completely clue-less ancient white-guy dinosaurs.