Dec 05

Chevy Volt Song

Brent Dewar Introduces 2011 Chevrolet Volt at 2009 Los Angeles

[ad#post_ad]In a continued effort to educate the public about the value and significance of the Chevrolet Volt, GM commissioned the development of an official Chevy Volt song.

It is a cheerful, upbeat and catchy tune that debuted on the first consumer day of the LA Auto Show this week.

Maria Roher is GM’s director of global Volt marketing, a newly formed position critical for bringing the Volt from the test track to the driveways and roads of America and the world.

She explains to us the significance of this new song:

As you know this week was not only packed with meetings with press and social media folks like yourself, in addition,  we also attended a middle school, Harvard-Westlake to engage in a conversation about Electricity and how Electricity of today will power the next cars of tomorrow.

Now, why did we do that?

Chevrolet and I feel very strongly that educating our future leaders, kids, on the future of the electrification of the auto category works hand in hand. We are not only looking to sell our Volts come start of production but we are also looking to educate our youth on something that is rather new and sophisticated and quite eco minded.

Our goal is to craft that education in a manner that is family friendly ( as it should be because we are America’s original mass /heart brand), entertaining and simple to understand for a rather sophisticated product.

A Volt song helps us to achieve those objectives.  ’Chevy Volt and Me’ explains what Volt is all about as a better EV in simple friendly terms.

We debuted it live at the LA auto show for anyone who wants to hear and see it come to life. It is running once per hour.

Stay tuned as we move through next year, we will intro more fun educational ways to get engaged with Volt and all of its attributes.

With all due respect to GM I felt somewhat compelled to use the song as a soundtrack to a video montage of the history of GM-Volt.com and of course the three years of Volt developments weve been following so closely.

Enjoy it below:

This entry was posted on Saturday, December 5th, 2009 at 10:34 am and is filed under Marketing. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

Dec 5th, 2009 (10:37 am)

JMO
    LOVED the Voltnation pics!

Anthony

Anthony

Dec 5th, 2009 (10:46 am)

Why does the song remind me of the Juno soundtrack?

Dec 5th, 2009 (10:48 am)

Anthony: Why does the song remind me of the Juno soundtrack?

It’s pregnant with information?

CMull

CMull

Dec 5th, 2009 (10:50 am)

Great montage Lyle…love it!

Rooster

Rooster

Dec 5th, 2009 (10:52 am)

The song reminded me of Snow White with all that whistling. Hi-ho, Hi-ho, it’s to work in a Volt I go, Hi-ho, Hi-ho, Hi-ho, Hi-ho, Hi-ho,…….

Evil Conservative

Evil Conservative

Dec 5th, 2009 (10:56 am)

Seeing the montage makes me wish the concept was the car they were building. I know, I know drag.

Dec 5th, 2009 (11:01 am)

I think the montage is probably Lyle’s best work yet.

Herm

Herm

Dec 5th, 2009 (11:08 am)

Evil Conservative: Seeing the montage makes me wish the concept was the car they were building.I know, I know drag.

Its funny how I felt exactly the opposite.. the concept was a singularly crude and ugly car yet the final design is decent looking.. not that looks matter that much. The Converj looks very nice also.

Upbeat song is nice.. great work Lyle.

Frank D

Frank D

Dec 5th, 2009 (11:14 am)

Great video Lyle…the song is great too!

Dec 5th, 2009 (11:15 am)

The video montage is awesome.

The song is a catchy jingle and a good backdrop.

Some nostalgia there too, as one sees the pictures of the concept and the ‘historical’ people who were so crucial at the time.

Kdawg

Kdawg

Dec 5th, 2009 (11:16 am)

How long before a remix comes out? :)

Or a song by Ford/Toyota/etc.?

Nice montage Lyle.

Dec 5th, 2009 (11:17 am)

Yes, the production car is functional, but the concept was beautiful.

The P.E.

The P.E.

Dec 5th, 2009 (11:18 am)

Very well done Lyle.
    The song has some “hippie” tones in it, but the message will always be valid.

Dan

Dan

Dec 5th, 2009 (11:20 am)

Nice montage, terrible song.

Concept car looks crude vs. real Volt.

Dec 5th, 2009 (11:21 am)

8 Herm: .. not that looks matter that much

With greatest respect, you are mistaken. In automotive looks matter tremendously.

You recall the saying “styling sells cars.”

Dec 5th, 2009 (11:22 am)

RB:
    Yes, the production car is functional, but the concept was beautiful.

Dec 5th, 2009 (11:25 am)

The P.E.: Very well done Lyle.
    The song has some “hippie” tones in it, but the message will always bevalid.

The (past) hippe demographic may well be the ones who can afford the new Volt’s.

Dec 5th, 2009 (11:48 am)

The still photo of the Volt gives a good idea of what the car looks like in person.

In a related but slightly different vein, I wonder how many events you’d find if you plugged “GM management shakeup” into Google. Would the number be higher or lower than coaching changes at Notre Dame or the Cleveland Browns? Until GM finds a way to stop the carousel and to introduce model changes more quickly this isn’t going to change. The impact a CEO can make is limited. Rather than trying to find a savior GM needs to streamline their processes.

Guy Incognito

Guy Incognito

Dec 5th, 2009 (11:51 am)

♫ ♪ ♫ Don’t be a dolt see the USA in your Chevy Volt ♪ ♫ ♪

Dec 5th, 2009 (11:51 am)

Tagamet: I like the Concept, she likes the Production model.

Anthony

Anthony

Dec 5th, 2009 (11:56 am)

Tagamet:
    It’s pregnant with information?

The girl who is singing it sounds a lot like the girl form the Juno soundtrack (Kimya Dawson) but I’m sure its just a sound-a-like.

Dec 5th, 2009 (12:04 pm)

In the words of the late, great, Jim Healy:

“Comment……………………………….. no comment.”

BiodieselJeep

BiodieselJeep

Dec 5th, 2009 (12:05 pm)

Kinda reminds me of Garfunkel and Oates:

I soooo love these gals. “Pregnant women are Smug” is so…right.

coffeetime

coffeetime

Dec 5th, 2009 (12:16 pm)

Anthony: Why does the song remind me of the Juno soundtrack?

You beat me to it! That was what I was going to ask.

Dec 5th, 2009 (12:19 pm)

DonC:

Dec 5th, 2009 (12:23 pm)

Anthony:

OIC. I hadn’t heard her soundtrack, so I went with the pun (g).

Van

Van

Dec 5th, 2009 (12:23 pm)

Not exactly “see the USA in a Chevrolet” but it tried to provide a complex message.

Anthony O'Neil

Anthony O'Neil

Dec 5th, 2009 (12:23 pm)

On the Chevy Volt Song Video, I saw Bob Lutz with a model of the Volt Car.

I would like to purchase the Volt Model.

Where can I purchase the model and how much do you want for the model.

Tony O’Neil
    256-658-4655 cell

CDAVIS

CDAVIS

Dec 5th, 2009 (12:33 pm)

______________________________________________________
    Chevy Volt Song = Two Thumbs Up!

I honestly was very hesitant to hit the play button because I thought I’d hear a typical corny car marketing jingle that I would hate…I was pleasantly surprised to hear an upbeat song that cleverly expressed the spirit/purpose of the Volt…I don’t know how the song could be improved on for it’s intended purpose…Maria Roher gets +1.

Lyle’s Montage…what can I say…it put a smile on my face and made my day…you’re the Man Lyle!
    ______________________________________________________

Dec 5th, 2009 (12:35 pm)

I didn’t like the melody. It’s sounds childish to me. They should use the melody of an established tune and add their own words. Sort of what I did with the Speed Racer Volt song below.

Here it comes,
    Here comes GM’s Volt
    It’s electric for real.
    It’s electric and it’s gonna be burning allot less fuel.

It has a plug so you can charge it if you want.
    It won’t need any gas, and that I’m sure you’ll flaunt.
    And when the distance gets greater
    And you, think there’s no juice left.

You bet the ICE will turn on
    It will see you through.
    Go GM Volt, Go GM Volt, Go GM Volt GO!!!

NPNS!

Dec 5th, 2009 (12:38 pm)

Great video! All that’s missing is me handing Lyle the keys to one in front of the dealership!

The tune is kinda catchy. Lonnnnngggggg…. but catchy.
    I’m sure it will do well on TV when they cut it down to 30 seconds.

Dec 5th, 2009 (12:43 pm)

DonC: I’m thinking you haven’t seen the Volt in person. If not then I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised. Your wife on the other hand may think it too “sporty” but then again she’s already voted, right?

I’ve seen the Volt in person. I was stunned. It is GOOD. It was indoors, so it might have seemed bigger than it would look out in the parking lot, but it looked bigger than I expected. The inside was just as big as all outdoors (except for feeling confined by the center hump of the battery). I give the GM designers an A+. I suppose the prototype has a kind of sexieness, but it does not appeal to me. The real thing is almost as if you took a conventional utilitarian car and transformed it into something much sportier. Not all the way to a sports car, but most of the way.
    And yes, Lyle, looks like you have yet ANOTHER career (in videography). Good show!

Rooster

Rooster

Dec 5th, 2009 (12:45 pm)

Dec 5th, 2009 (12:56 pm)

Rooster: Anyone else having problems accessing the forums pages?My browser keeps locking up every time I try.

My feed has been fine.
    HTH

Dec 5th, 2009 (12:57 pm)

Tagamet: I know if it’s in PA, it’s within my driving range (lol). Heck NYC is in my driving range too (g).

Tag, come to the Detroit auto show. You can stay at my house if it makes the difference. Of course Lyle has priority, but I doubt that would happen (you never know). The Detroit show is the middle of January.

Prompter Bob

Prompter Bob

Dec 5th, 2009 (1:03 pm)

What a hokey song! Just terrible.

Dec 5th, 2009 (1:04 pm)

Tony said “I would like to purchase the Volt Model.

Where can I purchase the model and how much do you want for the model.”
    Me too! email:johnkriegel@comcast.net

Dec 5th, 2009 (1:14 pm)

JohnK:
    Tag, come to the Detroit auto show.You can stay at my house if it makes the difference.Of course Lyle has priority, but I doubt that would happen (you never know).The Detroit show is the middle of January.

Thanks, JohnK! It’d be like a mini-Voltnation II. Unfortunately funds are so tight that I got a part-time job to help ends meet. Any extra $ is going into the Volt Fund. Hopefully a real live Volt will appear within a “drive there and back the same day” spot (like NYC), but thanks again for the offer! (Volt folks are just plain nice).

Dec 5th, 2009 (1:16 pm)

Tagamet: You’re right about not having seen the new Volt in person. I DID have the pleasure of seeing the concept in person (though my wife hasn’t seen either in person). I look forward to seeing one soon, though I have no idea where or when that will be. I know if it’s in PA, it’s within my driving range (lol). Heck NYC is in my driving range too (g).Be well,TagametLet’s Just Get The Volts’ Wheels On The Road!!**********NPNS   (Quote)

Tag just saw the Volt IVER all dressed up at the LA auto show. Looks much better in person. I can’t recall if I saw the concept or not because at the time I kept thinking, GM will never build this.

On that note big thanks go to Lyle, Lutz, Posawitcz, Wagonner, Weber, Grey, for leading; for inspiring – Alan Coconi, Martin Eberhard, J B Straubel, Elon Musk, Mark Tarpanning, Ian Wright and all the others who pushed prodded, and risked to get moving toward a new transportation age. Can’t say thanks enough.

Dec 5th, 2009 (1:20 pm)

jeffhre:

Very well put. I’m sure a lot of us here echo your remarks.

Dec 5th, 2009 (1:25 pm)

Rooster: Anyone else having problems accessing the forums pages? My browser keeps locking up every time I try.  (Quote)

JEC

JEC

Dec 5th, 2009 (1:32 pm)

“cheaper than my phone”

Huh, not sure why they are equating plugging in the Volt cheaper than your phone. I am sure they do not mean electricity wise, but I do not get the connection (no pun intended).

Catchy little tune.

loboc

loboc

Dec 5th, 2009 (1:33 pm)

JohnK: Tony said “I would like to purchase the Volt Model.Where can I purchase the model and how much do you want for the model.”
    Me too! email:johnkriegel@comcast.net

Dec 5th, 2009 (1:35 pm)

As many of you outside of Caleeeeforia, I can’t wait to hear what other areas of the country will receive Volts and when. And GM DID say in a few weeks. It just dawned on me, what better venue than the Detroit auto show! I must confess to being a little miffed by California stealing the limelight, but it probably is a good trial baloon. I do hope that GM will pull out all of the stops when the Volt comes to the Detroit show. The Detroit show is set to have TWO separate EV areas, and I am fairly sure that the Volt will have a prominent place on the main display area. One of the EV areas is to have an indoor quarter mile landscaped (with trees) track for driving EV’s. Don’t know if the Volt will participate in that, but wouldn’t it be great!

loboc

loboc

Dec 5th, 2009 (1:37 pm)

Good montage. Song, not so much.

Sounds like “South Park does marketing”. This site still makes me laugh every day though (in a good way).

Thanks Lyle!

Dec 5th, 2009 (1:39 pm)

JohnK: My browser tends to lock up after I submit a reply. Task Mgr shows IE looping. I cancel out, then check back and my reply has been posted. Not sure what it is. But this site has some pretty sophisticated features. Maybe the browser has trouble dealing with some of it.

Me too.

DaV8or

DaV8or

Dec 5th, 2009 (1:41 pm)

Prompter Bob: What a hokey song! Just terrible.

Agreed! GM seems to think the demographic for this car is children. It goes along with the childish video they put out awhile ago trying to educate people why the Volt is better than a regular EV. Cheesy.

Fun montage Lyle! Oh, how I miss the aggression and style of the original concept!

Larry

Larry

Dec 5th, 2009 (1:42 pm)

Tagamet: My wife and I differ on our views of the two versions of the Volt. I like the Concept, she likes the Production model. Since “all tie votes go to the female”, we’re lucky it worked out this way.

Silly Tag, there’s no such thing as a ‘tie’… she’ll be right every time! :)

loboc

loboc

Dec 5th, 2009 (1:45 pm)

Noel Park:
    #41Me too.

Only happens in IE8 for me (on both Xp and Win7). I use FireFox 3.5.5 mostly and no issues there on either OS.

loboc

loboc

Dec 5th, 2009 (1:46 pm)

Evil Conservative

Evil Conservative

Dec 5th, 2009 (1:48 pm)

loboc: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370196022141&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en  (Quote)

7500 of these models made. That is more then the total production of the actual Volt for year 1. Ebay has a few listed for less then $50 …. sadly the only way I will be able to afford the Volt …. until the price comes down that is.

CDAVIS

CDAVIS

Dec 5th, 2009 (2:02 pm)

#41 JohnK Said:

______________________________________________________
    I’m having the same problem…
    ______________________________________________________

Dec 5th, 2009 (2:55 pm)

I’m also using Firefox and no lockups.

User Name

User Name

Dec 5th, 2009 (3:32 pm)

Guy Incognito: “♫ ♪ ♫ Don’t be a dolt see the USA in your Chevy Volt♪ ♫ ♪”

Good one :)

mikeinatl.

mikeinatl.

Dec 5th, 2009 (4:07 pm)

There is no way to please everyone with a song. We cannot even agree on how to sing our National Anthem. I do not envy the person who had to tell the Volt story in a song.

I agree that it is reminisent of the Juno soundtrack. I was not expecting that approach, but hey, why not? Its upbeat, edgy and in tune with the IPod generation.
    (At least it wasn’t hip-hop.)

Remember, the most effective advertising jingles are not always the best music in the world. But they hook you into playing that song in your head for the rest of the day. This new song has a very good hook.

Ok, maybe not as good as…

“See The USA In Your Chevrolet…”

but they had a different story to tell.

GO VOLT!

hayley

hayley

Dec 5th, 2009 (4:11 pm)

Rooster

Rooster

Dec 5th, 2009 (4:27 pm)

CDAVIS: #41 JohnK Said:“My browser tends to lock up after I submit a reply. Task Mgr shows IE looping. I cancel out, then check back and my reply has been posted. Not sure what it is. But this site has some pretty sophisticated features. Maybe the browser has trouble dealing with some of it.”______________________________________________________I’m having the same problem…______________________________________________________  (Quote)

I’m running IE 8, have all the updates.

I’m unable to get past the first page in the forums, my browser gets stuck in an endless loop…have to CTL-ATL-DEL and end the browser program. Sounds like there is an issue with IE 8…what a suprise!

Rooster

Rooster

Dec 5th, 2009 (4:30 pm)

Confirmation that my browser (IE 8) also locks up after posting a message on this page as well.

ProfessorGordon

ProfessorGordon

Dec 5th, 2009 (4:43 pm)

Albuquerque, NM
    Queens, NY
    Pasadena, CA

Dec 5th, 2009 (5:06 pm)

Noel Park:
    #41Me too.

For whatever reason, gm-volt does not work with the latest version of IE. It seems to do fine with other browers such as Chrome.

Dec 5th, 2009 (5:09 pm)

ProfessorGordon: I wonder, in this song, did GM unintentionally just announce 2 more areas where they initially plan to release the Volt?Albuquerque, NM
    Queens, NY
    Pasadena, CA

Dec 5th, 2009 (5:13 pm)

18 DonC: In the WSJ today Chevy dealers are complaining that GM is spending too much on the Volt and not enough on Malibus they can sell today. I don’t think they get that GM is spending 10X dollars more on advertising on the Malibu than they are on PR for the Volt. It’s just that PR works great with fewer dollars but you need something newsworthy — and the Malibu (Lacrosse etc.) is just another car.

Thanks for the good reference to today’s WSJ article.

In the article, the dealers and new management seem to be aligned in their goal of pushing present cars out faster instead of talking about upcoming products. They seem to be singling out Volt as an example of what should be avoided.

I guess that means there will be no more verses added to the Volt jingle, at least for now :)

Emphasizing present products is a good strategy for today, if they have the products today that can be sold in higher volume at higher prices, as they say they intend to do.

In our area Chevy is handicapped by their present dealer lineup, which now is dominated by places that are lowly regarded. Other gm brands have no dealers near here. Focusing on today means gm will need to do something about that.

BillR

BillR

Dec 5th, 2009 (5:30 pm)

hayley:
    What the heck? This is embarrassing. I hope nobody else I know hearsthis or I’ll be ashamed to buy the car associated with this in thefuture. A song with a message? What were they thinking? This reminds meof Barney & Friends.

Lyle,

I truly like your montage, great work.

However, I have to agree with the comment above regarding the song. I was expecting to see Pee Wee Herman alongside the Volt to go along with the music.

Dec 5th, 2009 (5:45 pm)

Possibly an interim song. I’d bet that by a year from now there will be something entirely new and original to that future time, it seems to me. Dron’t forget that in marketing, an entire year is “eons”, and, what is catching today, is future “passe’”.

In any case, this is the very best photo of Volt I’ve ever seen.

The sleekness of a Porche in the form of an EREV sedan.

It can’t possibly get better than this for the American family car.

Stunning.

Khadgars

Khadgars

Dec 5th, 2009 (5:55 pm)

Prompter Bob: What a hokey song! Just terrible.  (Quote)

I liked it actually, not sure what you were expecting, Metallica?

Dec 5th, 2009 (5:59 pm)

56 hayley: What the heck? This is embarrassing. I hope nobody else I know hears this or I’ll be ashamed to buy the car associated with this in the future. A song with a message? What were they thinking? This reminds me of Barney & Friends.

With greatest respect, haley, you are mistaken. Your dour comment is what everyone said to Walt Disney — no one wants to see some dumb mouse :)

Dec 5th, 2009 (6:01 pm)

Tagamet: I think that they just needed a word to rhyme with “cleaner” so they used “Pasadener”.
    Tagamet

With a slight Bostonian accent they rhyme perfectly :)

Dec 5th, 2009 (6:05 pm)

42 JEC: “cheaper than my phone”Huh, not sure why they are equating plugging in the Volt cheaper than your phone.I am sure they do not mean electricity wise, but I do not get the connection (no pun intended).Catchy little tune.

The bill for an iPhone in this area is about $70/mo. I doubt that electricity for a Volt would cost that much. So the song is right, at least some of the time, and it gets you to thinking.

ccombs

ccombs

Dec 5th, 2009 (6:08 pm)

Dec 5th, 2009 (6:08 pm)

DonC: Nice montage Lyle. Not wild about the idea of a song but that’s probably just me.
    In the WSJ today Chevy dealers are complaining that GM is spending too much on the Volt and not enough on Malibus they can sell today. I don’t think they get that GM is spending 10X dollars more on advertising on the Malibu than they are on PR for the Volt. It’s just that PR works great with fewer dollars but you need something newsworthy — and the Malibu (Lacrosse etc.) is just another car.Also from the WSJ, new President Reuss has apparently clashed with other executives because he believes that GM needs to improve product quality, deviating from the GM party line that quality is not the issue, only the perception of quality.

DonC,
    That sure is the practical viewpoint.
    Streamlining processes is always the top most priority at least every several years for established types of businesses, and, at least every 4 years for pioneering types of businesses.

While basic processes always are routinely attended to, there are always inefficiencies that tend to slide into place if they are allowed. With well established technologies, that is not always as easy to accomplish. But for emerging technologies and types of businesses, it is really a lot easier to accomplish, since you are so far ahead of (nearly no) competition.

With Volt, the technology is so stunning, that it tends to sideline other marketing efforts all up and down the chain of command.
    This is just going to happen. What retail level needs are entirely new (and outrageous, it seems to me), marketing approaches to capture market.

The Volt needs no marketing at all. It needs nothing but to be at the Chevy Store for 12 hours after delivery. No, on second thought, once the delivery manifest indicates that a Volt is on the way, then, from that perspective, the car is already sold for the next 3 years, I’d bet.

Dec 5th, 2009 (6:10 pm)

RB:
    With a slight Bostonian accent they rhyme perfectly

Yep, and they rhymed the same way with “idee-er”.

Dec 5th, 2009 (6:10 pm)

Prompter Bob: What a hokey song! Just terrible.

With greatest respect, people have different tastes in songs, as in cars. I like the song because of its upbeat tempo, upbeat attitude, and clever lyrics. The song has to appeal to potential customers — people with the money to buy — and I think it targets them well.

After all, the Pious already has cornered the market with the un-smiling people :)

ccombs

ccombs

Dec 5th, 2009 (6:11 pm)

Now I like the Volt’s looks, but you may be getting a bit carried away here.

I heard love is blind :)

Dan Petit: The sleekness of a Porche in the form of an EREV . It can’t possibly get better than this for the American family car.Stunning.

Dec 5th, 2009 (6:20 pm)

69 ccombs: This was intended for kids, clearly. I doubt GM will be making too many ads for the Volt that are directed towards kids but it is nice to educate them.I don’t think people who don’t like the song should get so worked up about it being associated with the Volt. It’s not going to be airing during MNF and turning away manly man Volt customers.

Please be careful here, as there are a some things to think seriously about in relation to attractiveness the younger set. One is that younger children are at times immensely influential, and fathers especially will choose the car that they daughters like, including grade-school daughters.

Another is that those manly men like to be well regarded by the children. Have you seen the recent ad with the pro football quarterback singing “itsy bitsy spider” to his daughter over the phone just before the game? Manly males like to be seen as strong and ferocious but playful, too.

Dec 5th, 2009 (6:38 pm)

A musical romp through history,
    now GM build a VOLT for me!

Dec 5th, 2009 (6:46 pm)

Tagamet: Yep, and they rhymed the same way with “idee-er”.
    Tagamet

I had to play the song twice more to check the rhyme with “idee-er” and verify that you were right (as always). Enjoyed it both times :)

And you (or maybe statik) on an earlier thread pointed out that it is impossible to forget catchy songs, once they are stuck in your head. I think that discussion started with the “small small world” song at Disney World. This one may turn out to be the same.

Dec 5th, 2009 (7:00 pm)

ccombs: Now I like the Volt’s looks, but you may be getting a bit carried away here.I heard love is blind

You sure have me pegged! Haa! (Just go in from an early-evening party).

Hint: (Besides mispelling “don’t” as “dron’t” above, lol).
    If you are going to be in for the night, then have a shot of Skyy and about 4 ouces of one-percent-fat eggnogg. (Cheers!!).
    Wait about 20 minutes, then review picture above.

Your thinking slows down to see my perceptions, and, if you look at a side profile of all the Porche’s, you might agree with me on this one.

(Where the heck is CJS on this? (Use instructions above.) It looks like a Porche, CJS, doesn’t it? LOL. An American Family EREV Porche!! What better styling could you ever want for a sedan?)

ccombs

ccombs

Dec 5th, 2009 (7:03 pm)

Hmmm. Interesting point. I had never heard children played a large role in their parents’ car buying decisions.

RB: ul here, as there are a some things to think seriously about in relation to attractiveness the younger set. One is that younger children are at times immensely influential, and fathers especially will choose the car that they daughters like,

carcus1

carcus1

Dec 5th, 2009 (7:04 pm)

I hope GM didn’t spend a lot of money on that song. It’s not the 1960′s anymore. I think today’s internet savvy car shoppers are more interested in the technical details (and less in advertising gimmicks) than they used to be.

“. . . .75 percent of new-vehicle buyers use the Internet to research vehicle information.”

Most new-car buyers look online first, says J.D. Power & Assoc.

Dec 5th, 2009 (7:11 pm)

RB: fathers especially will choose the car that they daughters like

It will be a Cruze.

Khadgars: I liked it actually, not sure what you were expecting, Metallica?

The song is good. Could have rocked it up a little. Something like Slade “RunRunaway”?

=D~

BillR

BillR

Dec 5th, 2009 (7:19 pm)

I think you shouldn’t try to get people to learn entirely by the song. It’s best to get their interest, and then have them satisfy their curiousity by looking deeper for the answer.

I’m sure this is too controversial for GM, but here is my rendition, sung to U2′s “New Year’s Day”.

Today we live, in the petroleum age,
    And oil is the reason, for the wars we wage,
    I’m thankful, an answer is on the way,
    Everything changes, on Independence Day.

Yes, we will begin again,
    Yes, we will begin again.

Time to unite, we must be free,
    So run your car, on electricity,
    We must save the planet, stop this climate change,
    So get the Volt, with its extended range.

Oh, maybe the time is right,
    Plugin now, charge overnight.

Yes, we will begin again,
    Yes, we will begin again.

Its just so simple, just charge and go,
    Drives like the car, you already know,
    So you can charge at night and drive all day,
    Everything changes, on Independence Day.

Dec 5th, 2009 (7:23 pm)

I would’a preferred Steppenwolf: “Magic Carpet Ride”.

Dec 5th, 2009 (7:28 pm)

I’ve been having the same issue. Very frustrating.

Dec 5th, 2009 (7:33 pm)

CorvetteGuy: I would’a preferred Steppenwolf: “Magic Carpet Ride”.

Now that’s an idea I really like! It has this mystical suspense in the tenor that is really captivating. That is one really great idea!! Far better than my “Plug it in” lyrics.
    Could you suggest some lyrics for it?

carcus1

carcus1

Dec 5th, 2009 (7:38 pm)

By the way, (in case anybody doesn’t have this figured out by now) all the Volt advertising (at this point) is about company image, brand association, halo effect, and possibly federal dollars — it’s not about selling the Volt.

Fahrvergnugen Fanboy

Fahrvergnugen Fanboy

Dec 5th, 2009 (7:44 pm)

Guy Incognito: ♫ ♪ ♫ Don’t be a dolt see the USA in your Chevy Volt♪ ♫ ♪

That’s a bit like my creation:

(to the tune of “Iron Man” by Black Sabbath)

Buy a Chevy Volt
    If you don’t want to be a dolt!
    Buy a Chevy Volt
    It goes faster than a lightning bolt!

But after the scandalous result of the color-naming contest, where my “Re-Volting Greenish” was inexplicably not chosen, I am not giving any more free geniosity to GM marketing until they apologize!

Dec 5th, 2009 (7:47 pm)

Dave G:
    I’ve been having the same issue.Very frustrating.

Fahrvergnugen Fanboy

Fahrvergnugen Fanboy

Dec 5th, 2009 (7:52 pm)

Dave K.: RB: fathers especially will choose the car that they daughters like

It will be a Cruze.

Or a pink Mustang…

Dec 5th, 2009 (7:54 pm)

RB:
    I had to play the song twice more to check the rhyme with “idee-er” and verify that you were right (as always).Enjoyed it both times
    And you (or maybe statik) on an earlier thread pointed out that it isimpossible to forget catchy songs, once they are stuck in your head.I think that discussion started with the “small small world” song at Disney World.This one may turn out to be the same.

RB,
    I think it was statik talking about the small, small world song. Not to worry though, people often confuse me for statik (NOT! lol)!

Dec 5th, 2009 (8:02 pm)

Hey Tag,

(I hope that as we talk about great ideas, that this discussion doesn’t preclude/prevent-somehow, GM from using these ideas. Corvetteguy’s idea is extremely good about “Magic Carpet Ride”. )

Dec 5th, 2009 (8:18 pm)

Dan Petit: Hey Tag, Don’t you think that Corvetteguy’s idea about “Magic Carpet Ride” would be incredible?
    (I hope that as we talk about great ideas, that this discussion doesn’t preclude/prevent-somehow, GM from using these ideas.Corvetteguy’s idea is extremely good about “Magic Carpet Ride”. )

Yeah, I can still remember ALL the words of MCR (though not what I had for breakfast). There’s a lot to say about multi-sensory presentation yielding solid (sometimes immutable) learning. Of course back in the 60′s MCR was generally served during er, altered states of consciousness (read the good old days).
    I know some of the GM people lurk here from time to time, so I think the discussions and great ideas are getting to where they should. I *don’t* think that discussions here blunt anything creative going on at GM, but that’s JMO.
    Happy post-party!

LeoK

LeoK

Dec 5th, 2009 (8:18 pm)

I nominate Lyle for next year’s MTV Music Video Awards!!!

Great job putting the song to images!

Dec 5th, 2009 (8:34 pm)

92 LeoK: Anyone notice the geographic references… Albequreque (New Mexico), Queens (New York) or Pasadena (California)! I think its the secret code:-)

Look above at 59, Professor Gordon.

Dec 5th, 2009 (8:55 pm)

Tagamet:
    Yeah, I can still remember ALL the words of MCR (though not what I had for breakfast). There’s a lot to say about multi-sensory presentation yielding solid (sometimes immutable) learning. Of course back in the 60’s MCR was generally served during er, altered states of consciousness (read the good old days).

Tag,
    I see your points. Although the 60′s were 45 years ago, well before most people can recollect those times, it seems to me that anything can be repurposed for the better even though MCR might have been actually tied to a dysfunctional genre’. I grew up during those times, yet often wondered why I somehow seemed not to “belong to those times”. (And somehow was perfectly comfortable in not “belonging to those times”.) Perhaps that is why I never associated MCR as with what you described as its usage. I just always knew it as a catchy tenor.
    . (Learn something new every day.)

Dec 5th, 2009 (9:04 pm)

Dan Petit:
    Tag,I see your points.Although the 60’s were 45 years ago, well before most people can recollect those times,it seems to me that anything can be repurposed for the better even though MCR might have been actually tied to a dysfunctional genre’. I grew up during those times, yet often wondered why I somehow seemed not to “belong to those times”. (And somehow was perfectly comfortable in not “belonging to those times”.)Perhaps that is why I never associated MCR as with what you described as its usage. I just always knew it as a catchy tenor.
    . (Learn something new every day.)

Being a long-haired hippy freak was all *about* “not belonging”. I was even pulled out of a line boarding an airplane because I apparently “fit the profile” of what back then were “skyjackers”. It’s funny, but we used to say “we’re all unique – just like everyone else”!
    And now, back to the Volt!

Dec 5th, 2009 (9:07 pm)

Cab Driver

Cab Driver

Dec 5th, 2009 (9:16 pm)

Speaking as one who was standing there when the song debuted yesterday in LA, you folks don’t know how lucky you are that Lyle accompanied the song with his montage, rather than the dance routine at the show. Think Village People’s YMCA except with EV. The break dancer spinning on his head in a V left me speechless (or something).

JeffB

JeffB

Dec 5th, 2009 (9:21 pm)

I suddenly have a craving for cheese. I wonder if Bob Lutz likes cheese.

Dec 5th, 2009 (9:27 pm)

Village People?
    IMHO,
    No, no, no. There isn’t any instrumental depth there. No emotional suspense there as is in MCR. No long-running compelling following of each chord that gets into your deep senses to bring you emotionally along on a rhythmic channelling. Listen again to MCR if you will (at an above normal volume). It is timeless in depth.

RVD

RVD

Dec 5th, 2009 (9:33 pm)

oh well, veridian joule now has its lullaby.
    more marketing nonsense and money waste from GM

Dec 5th, 2009 (9:37 pm)

Dan Petit: I still think Corvetteguy’s idea of Magic Carpet Ride would work well as a Volt theme. Dramatically.

Dan, I’m agreeing with you. I think it’s a great idea. Much of the boomer demographic would already be familiar with the music and then only the “new” lyrics need to become internalized by prospective buyers.
    A bit of a moot point, because I also agree that every Volt will be sold when (or before) they make it to the dealers *paperwork*, for probably the first 2 years.

Dec 5th, 2009 (9:42 pm)

Many businesses have “round tables”, where dedicated patrons share ideas and impressions of new concepts of all kinds.
    This precious site is likely one of them on an “open” basis, where management might be somehow assisted informally with ideas and reactions from deeply dedicated Volt enthusiasts.

Dec 5th, 2009 (9:44 pm)

Every person shown throughout the video montage is within a picture of a relationship with the Volt or a relationship with other people, except for one person, who has neither.

Dec 5th, 2009 (9:44 pm)

Cab Driver: …In an entirely unconnected aside, Maria Roher mentioned to me that of the 80 IVers there are only 60 remaining because Chevy has used 20 of them in crash tests! For those who still think the Volt is a “science project” consider the cost of this crash testing.

Oh the humanity!

Dec 5th, 2009 (9:50 pm)

Dan Petit: So much is happening so fast at GM. DonC, are you saying that GM already has a new president. A Mr. Reuss? Or did I misread your post?

My point was that the dealers were just not getting it when complaining that GM is spending all its efforts promoting the Volt at the expense of current products. GM is advertising current products very heavily. It’s just that the Volt is generating a lot of press, and this press is far more noticeable than the huge amount of advertising GM is doing for its current lineup. What would you rather have, a one column inch review by David Pogue in the NY Times or a full page ad in the NY Times? My guess is that the Pogue article, though perhaps 1/10th the size, will outpull the ad somewhere between 100:1 to 1000:1. In our information age, advertising is no match for press and PR.

As far as needing to speed up its processes, market share is proportionate to the speed at which you can introduce new models. Since consumers always want new and improved models, the path to increasing your market share is to introduce new models faster than your competitors’. Ford has figured this out, and I’m thinking Whitacre has as well, which is why he’s pushing for GM to move faster.

Dec 5th, 2009 (9:58 pm)

DonC:
    Mark Reuss was named president of North American Operations. I think his father held the same title (and some people say GM is insular!). Are you thinking the about the CEO position? Whitacre is acting CEO and of course Chairman of the Board, which is a little strange since he has previously said holding those positions concurrently was a bad idea.As for your notion that Volts will sell themselves, that was something assumed by my point. GM will sell the 7K Volts. It hardly needs advertising for that. But if GM wants the Volt to produce buzz and drive traffic to showrooms then the PR needs to continue. Advertising the Volt, on the other hand, is a waste of money.

DonC,
    Those were exactly the details (re: Mr. Whitacre), I had been wondering.
    (I’d bet we’re all exactly on the same page with everything else you mentioned).

Your direct insights carry us all very far here, it seems to me.

Thanks!!

Rob

Rob

Dec 5th, 2009 (10:35 pm)

The earliest jingle I remember:

“Pon-ti-ac for Nine-teen Sixty-four!”

Then there was:

“Chevy Chevette – it’ll drive you happy!”

And (for the ill-fated X-cars):

“It’s the first Chevy of the Eighties: this could be the car you have in mind!”

Joni

Joni

Dec 5th, 2009 (10:40 pm)

Anthony: Why does the song remind me of the Juno soundtrack?

Is it me, or does that sound like Suzanne Vega (Luka, Tom’s Diner)?

DaveP

DaveP

Dec 5th, 2009 (11:31 pm)

BillR:
    Lyle,I truly like your montage, great work.However, I have to agree with the comment above regarding the song.I was expecting to see Pee Wee Herman alongside the Volt to go along with the music.

Awww, Pee Wee Herman would have had really cool music. Mark Mothersbaugh did the theme for Pee Wee’s Playhouse.
    (Mark Mothersbaugh is the founder/singer/songwriter for Devo)

I like the montage. I’m not that crazy about the song. I would have liked something more “cool”, more modern. Maybe something more techno/electronic I think would have been way cooler for an electric vehicle. :) Actually, something from Mark Mothersbaugh or Danny Elfman (Oingo Boingo) would have been WAY cool. Ooo, or maybe They Might Be Giants.

Dec 6th, 2009 (12:07 am)

HELP ME!!!

I can’t get that tune out of my head!!!

:-)

Dec 6th, 2009 (12:12 am)

Dan Petit: It happened to me also. It seems to me that there is greater sensitivity to static electricity. I’m now taking greater care in my keyboard movements to go more slowly, and, I’ve made some insulating pads made of five inch by seven inch squares of that perforated rubber shelf liner and tool drawer liner. Two layers are far better than one layer of that material. Be sure to not let any part of your hand or arm to come into uninsulated contact with the metal computer frame. Just type carefully while resting your hands on the cushioned rubber perforated material. It’s also far far more comfortable as well. (Enjoy!)  (Quote)

=================

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Kind of a complicated solution, don’t you think, Dan????

I was having this problem also with IE8.

Here is a bit of an easier fix:

Click on the “compatability view” button. It is on the top bar of the window, to the left of the “refresh” and “stop” buttons…

Whatever issue is causing this on Lyle’s site, this seems to fix it!

Hope this helps!

Dec 6th, 2009 (12:26 am)

I thought Reuss was an interesting guy when I read an article about what he had to say a few weeks ago. He comes from engineering rather than sales or finance, so he has a different take on things than most of the GM executives. He’s also willing to admit that GM still has a quality issue rather than pander to the Lutz school of thought that GM quality is perfectly fine and it’s only the perception of the quality which is a problem. While most would acknowledge the quality gap is narrowing, and in fact GM puts out some very high quality vehicles, most would also agree that GM’s portfolio is not as reliable as, say, Toyota’s.

Here is a short summary of his position, which is quite interesting:

Taken as a whole, Reuss’ remarks reveal an engineering culture in shambles that has repeatedly been reorganized and downsized for decades as the company lost customers to competitors. He acknowledge the human costs and reactions and vowed to change the culture.

Reuss said the company has all the procedures in place to improve GM’s reliability, but the culture needs to change so engineers are not afraid to identify and then actually solve problems. He says he has to stabilize engineering and product development.

Reuss said the Achilles heel of GM is reliability and that has been a problem during his entire career there.

An engineering culture in shambles? Reliability as an Achilles heel? Too much downsizing in engineering? My take is that GM has placed too much emphasis on accounting and too little on engineering, and that GM has put great pressure on the engineers to tell everyone what they want to hear, which is that things are hunky dory, even if they aren’t. As I’ve said before in a different context, admitting problems to yourself and others are always key steps in any six step recovery program. Hopefully the Volt won’t be hurried to market in order to meet some self imposed deadline.

Sal MBA

Sal MBA

Dec 6th, 2009 (12:57 am)

Mike

Mike

Dec 6th, 2009 (1:07 am)

did anyone hear about the climategate deal if its really true. Talk about the biggest scam of our lifetime. If science could really sell out like that, someone needs to go to jail! If it is true or not the volt is a very good idea will sell very well and I wish GM the best.

Dec 6th, 2009 (1:24 am)

Guys, this website is SO entertaining and stimulating. I can imagine a commertial that starts with this song and then breaks into MCR. It would be great.
    Also. nice day with no trolls.
    Also, I am away from home and pleased to be able to keep in touch with a Kindle! Not too bad.

Michael

Michael

Dec 6th, 2009 (9:13 am)

Sal MBA: I was wondering what “50,000 wait list” where they referring to, since they said no way in hell will they use our list???

Sal, the only “they” involvement in this clip is the song. Lyle put the montage together, so the “50,000 want list” is our want list. He just put the “subtitle” in with the pictures.

Nice job Lyle. I don’t know where you find the time/ I barely find time to read this daily. Cheers. :-)

Dec 6th, 2009 (9:37 am)

Jim I:
    =================HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!Kind of a complicated solution, don’t you think, Dan????I was having this problem also with IE8.Here is a bit of an easier fix:Click on the “compatability view” button.It is on the top bar of the window, to the left of the “refresh” and “stop” buttons…Whatever issue is causing this on Lyle’s site, this seems to fix it!Hope this helps!

That might indeed have worked for you. However, static charges have always been a problem with this metal framed laptop of mine. The original fix (with these VERY comfortable pads I made in thirty seconds), when I did do that, also prevented a progression on to carpal-tunnel. There have been four updates where, just before each new one came out, the sensitivity to static became far more pronounced. I just learned to be just a little more careful in my keyboard movements, which has worked exceptionally-well for those two years that I’ve been using these very comfortable rubber pads. Very well worth those thirty seconds to cut them out!!

For all the money spent on software, twenty cents worth of that tool box drawer-tray rubber matting doubled over might be worth your time to try out. Seriously. It’s really very comfortable most of all, which is the bigger picture anyway for all the time you are on your keyboard.

EclecticDan

EclecticDan

Dec 6th, 2009 (10:08 am)

Uggh. GM’s plan is to start programming kids? Why not put a few lines in about how cool smoking is. Hook’em when they’re young! If you claim to be educating, you can’t say that “EV” stands for “Electric Volt.” This is propaganda and it’s disgusting.

hayley

hayley

Dec 7th, 2009 (1:43 am)

RB:
    With greatest respect, haley, you are mistaken.Your dour commentis what everyone said to Walt Disney— no one wants to see some dumb mouse Yes, the Volt song is playful, but it is full of useful clear messages — a car that is simple to plug in, easy to drive, and cheaper than your phone.

I’m not sure if I understood this correctly but if I did, I hope you’re not saying that GM is marketing to the same audience (age group) as Walt Disney?

Jean-Charles Jacquemin

Jean-Charles Jacquemin

Dec 7th, 2009 (6:06 am)

Tagamet: Giving “voice” to the Volt’s pluses is wise in that it’s yet another sensory input to hook into people’s memory.
    JMO
    LOVED the Voltnation pics!
    TagametLet’s Just Get The Volts’ Wheels On The Road!!**********NPNS

Thanks Tag,
    me too, great memories thanks also Lyle,

Regards,

JC NPNS

Jean-Charles Jacquemin

Jean-Charles Jacquemin

Dec 7th, 2009 (6:08 am)

Tagamet:
    Oh the humanity!
    TagametLet’s Just Get The Volts’ Wheels On The Road!!**********NPNS

True Tag,
    JC NPNS

Chuck

Chuck

Dec 7th, 2009 (11:01 am)

This is truly, truly embarrassing in every sense of the word. Terrible.

Dec 7th, 2009 (5:32 pm)

jeffhre: jeffhre

Mr. Posawatz and all others I mispelled, I apologize for the errors.

Anthony M. O'Neil

Anthony M. O'Neil

Dec 9th, 2009 (2:09 pm)

JohnK,

I appreciate you finding a Volt model on ebay.

I see that it is a concept design and not the production design.
    I think I will purchase it anyway. If anyone knows of a production design model volt car, please let me know.

Tony O’Neil

Chaim

Chaim

Dec 10th, 2009 (1:12 pm)

The music is excellent, but the lyrics are sophomoric and really take away from the delightful melody. Get rid of the words and the music will make for an excellent soundtrack for all of the Volt commercials.

126. [...] in the General Motors marketing department, or its advertising agency, came up with a catchy song for the Chevrolet Volt. No, they had to come with a dance for the Chevrolet [...]

Chris A

Chris A

Dec 15th, 2009 (1:03 pm)

I am glad this is where my hard earned tax dollars have gone. To a shi**y car company now called Government Motors who blows through my money faster than I could. No wonder they are a failed company, look at their marketing. Anyone with a semi successful business could market far better than GM & Chevy. It is UNAMERICAN to buy AMERICAN Cars now. If you want to support good behavior, rule of law, and personal responsibility you should not buy cars made by GM or Chevy and everyother company that took our tax dollars.

steve v

steve v

Dec 15th, 2009 (2:35 pm)

This is horrible. If you want a 10x better way to market the car, take some advice from Ford’s Fiesta Movement. You should have the people of YouTube write a song about the car, and have the best one win.

129. [...] a theme song for the car called "Chevy Volt and Me" first turned up last week on gm-volt.com, an independent blog dedicated to the development of the [...]

Bret

Bret

Dec 15th, 2009 (8:33 pm)

What a waste of my tax dollars! No wonder GM is broke. Start studying other car companies on how to market a car. Better yet I just got laid off from marketing job (no government bail out for my old job) and I can tell you that I can come up with something better then that crap storm. So GM hire me so I can save my own tax $$$$$$.
    one last comment:
    “Who Killed the Electric Car?”
    look it up on Netflix

The Chevy Volt Dance - PriusChat Forums

The Chevy Volt Dance - PriusChat Forums

Dec 15th, 2009 (8:59 pm)

[...] [...]

Reaulyn Deaughkutt

Reaulyn Deaughkutt

Dec 15th, 2009 (10:10 pm)

Watch The ‘Chevy Volt Dance.’ If You Dare. « Coolbeans

Watch The ‘Chevy Volt Dance.’ If You Dare. « Coolbeans

Dec 15th, 2009 (11:15 pm)

Presenting the Chevy Volt Dancers « Joe The Flow

Presenting the Chevy Volt Dancers « Joe The Flow

Dec 16th, 2009 (9:39 am)

[...] a theme song for the car called “Chevy Volt and Me” first turned up last week on gm-volt.com, an independent blog dedicated to the development of the [...]

Bernward

Bernward

Dec 17th, 2009 (2:57 am)

Good Luck, Ed.

cool

cool

Dec 17th, 2009 (3:34 am)

The song is totally gay!

(meaning it is very cool and clever)

Volt-Hymne erreicht im Netz Kultstatus – Living LOHAS

Volt-Hymne erreicht im Netz Kultstatus – Living LOHAS

Dec 17th, 2009 (4:32 am)

[...] Maria Roher, bei GM für Marketing-Fragen zuständig, kommentierte die neue Hymne in einem Blogeintrag folgendermaßen: [...]

glimpflicht

glimpflicht

Dec 17th, 2009 (4:50 am)

This is just humiliating.

Malatesta

Malatesta

Dec 17th, 2009 (5:18 am)

OMG! First thought: That’s a joke. Then I had to realize: That’s serious! OMG!OMG!OMG! Seems as if GM wants to kill the car with a really bad song and some grannies performing table dance without a table.
    Visited the car fair in Zurich, drove a SAM there, an E-Smart and a Cinquecento E-Car. And all of them had the better PR-concept than GM – without ANY tax dollar. The GM-guys there just told me that there will NOT be any E-car from their company for the next 20 years. Guess I know why the said this – the commercial they would have to show is just way too humilating.

140. [...] in the General Motors marketing department, or its advertising agency, came up with a catchy song for the Chevrolet Volt. No, they had to come with a dance for the Chevrolet [...]

Chevy Volt: The Song | Car Guys

Chevy Volt: The Song | Car Guys

Feb 23rd, 2010 (5:12 pm)

[...] [Source: GM-Volt.com] [...]

Bill

Bill

Apr 7th, 2010 (8:56 pm)

You’re a complete deuche. GM provides millions of jobs to hardworking Americans. If you don’t like that, then move to Canada and be euthanized when you break your leg.

Reaulyn Deaughkutt: So this is how Government Motors uses our tax dollars, for a bunch of dumb disco dancers to hype up their latest POS. Not that i really give a rat’s rosy red rectum, since GM is dead to me, now and forever; just give me back the taxed (at the point of a gun) money your stupid company spent on this rancid self promotion.