May 12

Chevy Volt Jingle

Yes I know Bob Lutz sold all his GM stock and GM is considering moving out of its Detroit headquarters, and faces highly probable bankruptcy in less than three weeks, but how about some music?

Singer/Songwriter Sarah Spiegel (shown above) wrote me to hear a Chevy Volt jingle she produced. Sarah was a national spokesperson for General Motors last summer and is currently recording a CD and writing jingles.

She says some GM execs have heard this.

You can hear it by playing the audio file at the bottom of the post.

Lyrics:
Once I had a guzzler,
I could not afford,
It cost me more every day.

Once I had a guzzler,
Now it’s gone,
Chevy Volt’s here to stay.

Don’t you remember?
It was “filler up”?
So much we couldn’t‘ pay?

Don’t you remember
Where all your money went?
E flex came and saved the day.

Chevy Volt! Chevy Volt, leaves me money for play.
Chevy Volt! Chevy Volt, Chevy Volt’s here to stay.

Performed by Sarah Spiegel
Lyrics by Sarah Spiegel
Music by Eddie Hedges
(c) GOOT MUSIC ASCAP

And if there are any other singer/songwriters out there why not give it a shot too? Maybe we can hold a contest for the best Chevy Volt jingle.

PRESS PLAY BUTTON BELOW:

This entry was posted on Tuesday, May 12th, 2009 at 5:38 am and is filed under Advertising. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

jdsv

jdsv

May 12th, 2009 (5:47 am)

Now THIS is post! Endless thanks to Sarah Spiegel for keeping you in the loop, Lyle! I thought I was going to hear a bit more Queen from that first rhythm (my, why would I think that?), but it was still a fun listen!

No better time for music than right now! Anybody else anxious to see how this tune might be put into a commercial? They’d be hard pressed to make the Volt look anything but badass with this behind it!

LGTVWOTR – NPNS!! =D~~

FME III

FME III

May 12th, 2009 (6:00 am)

Off topic, but more pertinent than the jingle (which leave me flat):

It’s axiomatic that when peeople start taking cheap shots, they’re insecure.

May 12th, 2009 (6:01 am)

This is actually a good thing to be thinking about right now. We want to sell this thing to the masses, and that means jingles, celebrities, and commercials with pretty pictures.

As for this specific music, it seems a bit long for a jingle, and seems to concentrate mostly on saving money on gas, which may not be a big sell given the cost of the Volt. For the masses, I think the biggest selling points will be:
    a) not having to go to the gas station all the time.
    b) flipping the bird to the oil companies.
    c) it’s a cool new way of getting around.

There are also issues of climate change, national security, and peak oil, but those are all somewhat negative, so that won’t sell well in a commercial format.

May 12th, 2009 (6:05 am)

Interesting “Rock” feel to it.
    I have never heard of her before, but she is a very nice looking lady.
    I like the alto type singing voice also.

May 12th, 2009 (6:07 am)

#2 FME III Says: Check out Elon Musk dissin’ the Volt over on Autoblocg Green. Called the ICE range extender a “lawnmower engine.”
    ————————————————————————————–
    Thanks for the link.

When people start taking cheap shots, then you know you’re doing something right.

My respect for Elon Musk has taken a nosedive.

Dave B

Dave B

May 12th, 2009 (6:08 am)

Lyle,

I know some guys with talent in jingle-writing. Why not have a little contest, or at least leave the offer open. It’s a decent jingle, but I think better is out there. GM needs some help. Who knows, may lead to something.

Dave

May 12th, 2009 (6:09 am)

#2 FME III

I have heard stuff like this from him before. This is such a stupid thing for him to get into. His car is over $100K and isn’t even in competition with a $40K Volt. I don’t quiet understand why Musk even bothers.

FME III

FME III

May 12th, 2009 (6:12 am)

# 5 Dave G says:

————————————————————————————–
    Thanks for the link.

——–

Sorry, Dave G. Too early in the morning! Hoc est:

May 12th, 2009 (6:15 am)

#7 Rashiid Amul Says: I have heard stuff like this from him before. This is such a stupid thing for him to get into. His car is over $100K and isn’t even in competition with a $40K Volt.
    ————————————————————————————–
    First, the Tesla Model-S is $50K after tax credits.

Second, the Volt is under $30K after tax credits.

jdsv

jdsv

May 12th, 2009 (6:16 am)

I’d be pleasantly surprised and gain a bit of respect for GM if they air this song. In it, all their other cars are called guzzlers (they refused to push that with the EV1), it still _can_ use gas (chink in armor for naysayers out there), and the repeated line ‘here to stay’ means we can’t really hear this ’til the Volt’s in production.

And yet… GM would be undoubtedly better off airing this song – proving more how they’ve changed and taking a baby step out of their safe little ‘advertise to anybody-but-nobody’ box. Seriously, it seems as though only Cadillac is allowed to have good commercials. I want to see a rolling bank of concert lights and a pair of Volts climbing a 110% grade pyramid ramp on stage. Or, well, GM doesn’t show duplicate models.. how about the Cadillac prototype? That’s the ticket in! Take note, GM!

NPNS!! =D~~

May 12th, 2009 (6:17 am)

Lead article on CNN.com:
    Gas prices surge, but don’t fear $4 mark

jdsv

jdsv

May 12th, 2009 (6:19 am)

Dave, do you pay $10,000 in taxes, though? I sure as hell don’t.. these credits don’t help much.

NPNS!! =D~~

May 12th, 2009 (6:25 am)

Dave G # 9 says,

First, the Tesla Model-S is $50K after tax credits.

Second, the Volt is under $30K after tax credits.

———-
    First, where is the Tesla Model-S?

Second, there is no official cost for the Volt.

At the moment, Musk is competing vaporware against vaporware. Since I can’t buy either one at the moment his comments are pointless.

Dave99

Dave99

May 12th, 2009 (6:34 am)

nicely produced and sounded well-done, but I it feels like there is something missing and perhaps the release timing isn’t quite right because the Volt isn’t here YET… of course it is good timing if you are trying to sell it to GM and want to expose them to it via non-traditional means in enough time for them to use it.

so if gas prices spike again right before the Volt launches (or somehow a gas tax is implemented), this song is a winner. if not, then I hope there is an alternate version that focuses less on the financial aspect and draws more on the intangibles that will compel the early-adopters to take action.

I’m sure it would be on the long side for a commercial, but that is solved by releasing the full-length commercial at launch and then splice the song shorter for subsequent commercials.

May 12th, 2009 (6:38 am)

hi Lyle,

I don’t know if you recall. I sent a jingle to you about 8 months ago. It was performed by a female pop trio.

Would like to hear more jingle samples from all who wish to submit. So far I’ll stick with the original.

If you don’t have the original jingle, I can resend it.

=D~

Brian

Brian

May 12th, 2009 (6:40 am)

What a pleasant unexpected sight to see when I opened up my GM Volt web site. Nice jingle too.

May 12th, 2009 (6:48 am)

#12 jdsv said:

NPNS!! =D~~
    ===============

GM-fan

GM-fan

May 12th, 2009 (6:52 am)

“I know Bob Lutz sold all his GM stock”

I feel betrayed about this. Did anyone have the same feeling?

MarkinWI

MarkinWI

May 12th, 2009 (6:59 am)

GM-fan @#18 – No. The handwriting has been on the wall. If you’re holding GM stock, you’re playing the lottery, except the lottery has to have at least one winner.

Sorry Sarah. Nice jingle. Wonderful smile.

May 12th, 2009 (6:59 am)

Memorable jingle, and the singer has a really nice voice. This is one of our best posts ever.

Exp_EngTech

Exp_EngTech

May 12th, 2009 (7:03 am)

How about “Sounds of Silence” (Simon and Garfunkel) in the first wave of VOLT commercials ? An instrumental version.

May 12th, 2009 (7:03 am)

#18 GM-fan said
    “I know Bob Lutz sold all his GM stock”
    I feel betrayed about this. Did anyone have the same feeling?

————————————–

My reaction was more the reverse. I admired Mr Lutz for holding on to his stock to virtually the end of the company, when he could have given up and sold it for 10 times more just a year ago. He has taken a huge hit personally for remaining loyal during tough times.

Anyone who is not a pure speculator should be selling out now, as most likely we are only a few days away from bankruptcy, after which the stock will be essentially worthless.

Schmeltz

Schmeltz

May 12th, 2009 (7:05 am)

Thanks to Sarah for sharing that jingle—it’s catchy and I liked it.

May 12th, 2009 (7:07 am)

#12 jdsv said:

==================

I don’t understand that logic either. When you get the credit check, take it to the bank and appy it against the principal of your loan. Or put it in an account, and draw it out monthly to reduce your monthly payment.

The jingle? Sounds kind of country coyboy to me, and the early adopters have already been described as eco-greenies and super-geeks.

Want the super-geek commercial? Have Mr. Spock sitting in a Volt in the shuttle bay of the USS Enterprise. Get out of the car and just say: “Chevy Volt – The Future Of Transportation, But Available Now….”

Obviously at vehicle launch time!

May 12th, 2009 (7:11 am)

#18 GM-fan says:

“I know Bob Lutz sold all his GM stock”

I feel betrayed about this. Did anyone have the same feeling?
    =================

Not really, all their stock is practically worthless and anyone who is still holding stock now is border-line retarded. There is no more secrets here…so it is fair ball.

All of the executive had actually been prevented to trade under a insider trading restriction, which had a moratorium yesterday (and probably today as well)–you could look at this as another precursor to bankruptcy I suppose.

They actually have had less opportunity to clear out before bankruptcy.

Shock Me

Shock Me

May 12th, 2009 (7:15 am)

Now have her sing it to the tune of “Brother, can you spare a dime?”

Preferably stretched out on the hood of a Volt instead of a piano.

I sure hope they can get the Volt on the road it looks like fun. Even if I don’t have a place to plug it in. Yet.

May 12th, 2009 (7:23 am)

As for the topic jingle. I’m thinking it is a little corny.

How about just 10 second spots (cheaper) that have a split screen, one half the Volt in a field (even though that makes no sense) with children playing….the other half oil fields on fire, lol.

Or how about just 10 second eco-smug commercials…like Volt drivers smirking at guys as they pass gass stations.

Sidenote: I can’t imagine many posters here are too musically inclined…especially not for writing car jingles. I’d wager the ‘average’ poster is a 45-55 professional male.

Although I know you want to Dave G…c’mon, show us those skills.

Mitch

Mitch

May 12th, 2009 (7:31 am)

#27 Statik

“How about just 10 second spots (cheaper) that have a split screen, one half the Volt in a field with children playing….the other half oil fields on fire, lol”

How about a volt and a tesla driving along, the Tesla stops dead, (camera pan to Charge indicator 0%) and the Volts ICE starts at that moment and the Volt just keeps going while the Tesla guy is standing inthe middle of no where (saskatchewan?) with a plug in his hand looking around aimlessly..

May 12th, 2009 (7:36 am)

In keeping with the theme of jingles…amateur submissions for ‘promotion of glorious institutions’ (or just a weak excuse to post something I think is well done), I present:

Hastily Made Cleveland Tourism Video:

/we’re not Detroit

If you enjoyed that, there is another one:

Van

Van

May 12th, 2009 (7:42 am)

Once I depended on foreign oil,
    which nobody could afford.
    It cost more on 9 /11 day,
    more than we could pay.

Don’t you remember?
    It was “filler up”?
    So much we couldn’t‘ pay?

Don’t you remember
    Where all your money went?
    And the real cost , more and more,
    in sweat and blood and war?

Chevy Volt! Chevy Volt, leaves our money here to stay.
    Chevy Volt! Chevy Volt, Chevy Volt’s here to stay.

CDAVIS

CDAVIS

May 12th, 2009 (7:50 am)

______________________________________________________
    Two Thumbs Up
    for Sarah Spiegel and her Volt Jingle!

Here is mine for the contest:

Chevy Volt for a better way.
    Plug-in for just pennies a day.
    Volt Electric
    Volt Green
    Volt Fun
    Chevy Volt for a better way.
    ______________________________________________________
    Electric Cars + Nuclear Energy = American Energy Independence!
    ______________________________________________________

CDAVIS

CDAVIS

May 12th, 2009 (8:02 am)

______________________________________________________
    #31 CDAVIS…version 2:

Volt Chevy for a better day.
    Plug-in miles just pennies a day.
    Volt Electric
    Volt Green
    Volt Fun
    Volt Chevy for a better day.
    ______________________________________________________

Adrian

Adrian

May 12th, 2009 (8:05 am)

It is silly for a company having a hard time making money to stay in a town that charges a (at least) 5% city income tax. It would be funny to see GM move to Tennessee. I am not saying that they would or wouldn’t (I have no clue what the plans are), it just would be funny to move down by Saturn HQ.

#31, add drill move so to provide 100% of our own oil and you got it. Through in a solar tower (not solar panels) or 5 in the SW and clean coal and there is energy independence. I would still rather have fuel cell powering devices for the house but I will have to wait for the tech to be ready…

Kevin R

Kevin R

May 12th, 2009 (8:08 am)

Like the jingle and I like the fact that you’re after submissions. GM needs all the help it can get and even if someone is willing to record a jingle for them for free, the publicity for the artist would be phenomenal. Post all of them Lyle.

On another note…I have hundreds of shares of GM stock I bought last summer when it appeared that the Volt was going to be a hit so I invested a lot of my hard earned money in a company I believe in and it’s new Volt program. I stand to lose thousands of dollars.

bettylouspence

bettylouspence

May 12th, 2009 (8:11 am)

“I’m not sure why GM would pull HQ out of Detroit. There is no cheaper real estate in North America right now. Moving isn’t free. New HQs are for companies that make money. I can just see it now, “New GM executive suites cost $22 million.”

The argument is not that GM should purchase NEW real estate but conslidate, specifically, that corporate headquarters should relocate to the Tech Center in Warren, MI, which offers tax incentives and does not have a city income tax. GM already has extensive facilities at this location so nothing new will need to be built – and the company will save money be avoiding city of Detroit income taxes.

Jim in PA

Jim in PA

May 12th, 2009 (8:13 am)

Let’s talk about GM’s HQ move. GM is moving their headquarters, but I don’t recall anyone saying that GM was moving out of Michigan, just out of their current HQ. Yes, Detroit has cheap real estate, but their current location in Detroit is pricey relative to that market, and quite frankly is probably oversized for the new smaller GM. And given their verbal intentions over the past year (Volt battery factory to be built in Michigan, 4-cylinder engine plant in Flint MI once the added capacity is needed over their Eurpean engine facility, etc.), it seems like GM is dedicated to their MI roots. Also, don’t underestimate the attractiveness of having so many auto engineers in MI as a talent pool.

My opinion? Move the HQ out to the Milford proving grounds. R&D and new technology/car development is key to their future success. In that vein, it would be smart to consolidate the engineers, testers, and managers all in one location. The Warren Tech Center is also an option.

Oh, and if GM leaves the US, then they just turned a life-long GM buyer into a Ford man. Don’t even think about, Fritz…

Mitch

Mitch

May 12th, 2009 (8:17 am)

Fahrvergnugen Fanboy

Fahrvergnugen Fanboy

May 12th, 2009 (8:23 am)

What a beautiful young lady. Reminds me of my daughter.

What a drag it is getting old…

Things are different today
    I hear every driver say
    They just can’t believe they pay
    So much for gas

Well if you weren’t such a dolt
    You would buy a Chevy Volt
    No more running for the gas station
    Impover-ish-ing this nation

It’ll help you on your way
    Get you through your busy day

May 12th, 2009 (8:33 am)

#21 Exp_EngTech

Excellent Choice!
    __________________________

A “Jingle” is 3 or 4 lines, tops.
    A really good jingle would be 1 or 2 lines:

“See the USA in your Chevrolet”!

What she has here is a background “song”. Nothing wrong with that, but it’s too much.

Robert

Robert

May 12th, 2009 (8:38 am)

The construction of the first part of the lyrics reminded me of ‘Brother Can You Spare A Dime’ from the 1930′s:

Once I built a railroad
    Made it run,
    Made it race against time,

Once I built a railroad
    Now it’s done,
    Buddy can you spare a dime.

ElectRich

ElectRich

May 12th, 2009 (8:44 am)

I was looking for a new car a couple of weeks ago and liked the Chevy Cobalt, Was all set to buy except for the price. The sales person was eager to sell but couldn’t match the deal I had for a Ford Focus. The only real difference between the two was OnStar but it wasn’t worth $2000 to me. Sorry GM. I think if I were GM or a dealership I would want to sell inventory. The GM lot was full of cars but no customers. The showroom was empty except for me and one other couple. Chrysler had the same mentality. Ford didn’t! The salesman met my price by shaving off more than the advertised discounts. They had 0% 72 month financing to boot. Looked at cars for 20 minutes before a salesman came around and there were many people there. I would rather buy a GM product than Ford but with the economy as it is I have to cut corners. I really like the Volt but it looks like I won’t be able to afford it. Maybe by gen 2 the price will come down and economy will improve. About 2011 I’ll need another car. Hope GM makes a pick-up or SUV with a Volt like drive train. Reducing the Models and Brands would help. GM could raise billions with one huge clearance sale! Michigan needs to wise up and eliminate corporate tax. Draw in businesses with no tax burden. GM would stay and the state would find it’s revenues going up from the increased employment.

Adam

Adam

May 12th, 2009 (8:46 am)

#2, seriously dude.. The volt engine is small,, sure it’s bigger than a lawn mower engine, what would you rather him say? The volt has this gas guzzleing 4 cylinder engine, that gets the fuel economy of some big V8? Or use a term that it has as much power as a weed-whacker?

I probably won’t buy a 1st gen volt, a 40k or close to it price tag is almost more than my house, and I simply can’t afford a new car.

Steve

Steve

May 12th, 2009 (8:58 am)

Wow! That “jingle” is terrible.

Ray

Ray

May 12th, 2009 (9:01 am)

ElectRich # 41… Here in Central Alberta Canada…. lots of Ford deals right now… 0 down 0 % Financing.. 0 $ Due at delivery etc.. nothing like that at the GM Dealers….Unfortunately the Ford Motor company does not offer any of the “specials” on the 2010 Fusion Hybrid..or the 2010 Ford Escape Hybrid.. I tried to deal on the 2010 Fusion Hybrid but they are only offering “bank rates” on the financing… 8.99 % over 5 years or 7.99 % over 6 years…
    I had a specific monthly payment in mind… got a decent trade in price for my 07 MAXX… $4 000 Deposit in hand but walked away because they would not move on the interest rate.. 0% or even as low as 2.99 % would have done the deal.. Strange that you can get 0% financing on the regular 09 Fusion but nothing on the 2010 Fusion Hybrid.. Gouge while you can I guess.

May 12th, 2009 (9:06 am)

I’d prefer Steppenwolf “Magic Carpet Ride”.

May 12th, 2009 (9:11 am)

#6 Dave B says “Why not have a little contest”

This is (something of) a great idea and meshes well with the next big thing in marketing, which is the viral “dream job” promotion just finished by Queensland Australia. That promotion was based on the offer of winning this nice cushy job at a six figure salary if you blogged about why you wanted it. The brilliant bit was the winner was picked in part based on how many people followed their blog. It was a smashing success, and Queensland got a ton of publicity for very little money, comparatively speaking.

GM should give away one of the first Volts based on the same criteria. A jingle may be too restrictive because, as statik mentioned, it requires a skill set that many don’t possess. It would also work well because the demographic would be younger, which is something I imagine GM wants.

zipdrive

zipdrive

May 12th, 2009 (9:13 am)

Thees ees terrible, thees idea.

Leave the promo to professionals.

May 12th, 2009 (9:14 am)

From the song, the jingle is the two lines

“Chevy Volt! Chevy Volt, leaves me money for play.
    Chevy Volt! Chevy Volt, Chevy Volt’s here to stay.”

About 10 seconds long, memorable, different, excellent
    Maybe it can be in the memory of the audio system of every car, so we can play it in the parking garage for our parking neighbors. :)

Herm

Herm

May 12th, 2009 (9:22 am)

that should belt out everytime you put the key in the ignition.. or whatever you do to turn the thing on :)

I’m in love..

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    From the song, the jingle is the two lines
    “Chevy Volt! Chevy Volt, leaves me money for play.
    Chevy Volt! Chevy Volt, Chevy Volt’s here to stay.”

KUD

KUD

May 12th, 2009 (9:24 am)

Now that made my morning !!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I just need to download it.

BillR

BillR

May 12th, 2009 (9:36 am)

I like using the refrain from Def Leppard’s song “Hysteria”, with only a few changes to the lyrics.

It’s electrical,
    Hysteria
    Oh, can you feel it (Oh can you feel it)
    Do you believe it (Do you believe it)
    It’s such a magical mysteria
    When you get that feelin’ (When you get that feelin’)
    Better start believin (Better start believin’)
    Cause it’s a miracle
    Say you will, ooh babe
    Hysteria when you’re near

mikeinatl.

mikeinatl.

May 12th, 2009 (9:54 am)

She is much hotter than her song.

And the song is pretty hot.

hayley

hayley

May 12th, 2009 (9:57 am)

LOLLLLL.

Chris C

Chris C

May 12th, 2009 (9:59 am)

Yes, off topic but in the news…

To Static an all those who watch the economy at large what do you think the effect of the recently updated $1,800,000,000,000 US deficits will be?

Devalue the peso, I mean $ ?
    Oil becomes more expensive?
    Imported steel / cars become more expensive?
    Domestic products gain the advantage?
    The US decends into irrelevence?

What does history teach happens when the value of a currency drops by 20 – 40%? I’m not old enough to remember :)

Chris

May 12th, 2009 (10:02 am)

Not so much jingles as tag lines/pitches:

“Electric or gas? Volt; the choice is yours”

“What if someone took the best of two worlds to make one great car? They did.”

“The next best thing to a gas pump in your garage”

“Something new under the sun” (show somebody plugging a Volt into a ‘solar garage’)

“Volt: a new way to move”

Jingle:

Some variation of “Rub it in, Rub it in” substituting “Plug it in, plug it in” (too bad someone already did this with plug-in air freshener) ;-) .

May 12th, 2009 (10:13 am)

“Chevy Volt: Come tame the lightning”

“Chevy Volt: More than just a car

“Fun for you, responsible too”

Tagamet

May 12th, 2009 (10:19 am)

Lyle,
    Are we looking for something catchy to sell cars, or something for comic relief (badly needed at this point for GM). What’s our motivation??? I can’t work like this! /storms out (jk!)
    Be well,
    Tag
    PS I saw the first Prius 3 commercial last night and it was great.
    LJGTVWOTR!!********NPNS

Exp_EngTech

Exp_EngTech

May 12th, 2009 (10:20 am)

Devo…

“When a problem comes along
    You must whip it”

The Volt charging cord would be the bullwhip in the commercial.

JohnT

JohnT

May 12th, 2009 (10:20 am)

GM shares tumble to lowest level since depression

Jim in PA

Jim in PA

May 12th, 2009 (10:28 am)

OK, I wasn’t going to comment on the jingle because I wanted to be nice and my opinions are critical. But here it goes:

1.) She is indeed a lovely lady, but don’t let that sway your opinion for a song where nobody will see her.

2.) This “jingle” is a wopping 1:08 minutes long. First, assume the longest standard commercial will be 30 seconds. Second, the longest POSSIBLE commercial would be a 1 minute specialty slot. Why on earth would someone propose a custom-written jingle that works for neither? That’s sloppy forethought.

3.) It isn’t that catchy, and it’s got that whole kinda slow hard commercial rock, yet kinda commercial country feel that absolutely will not sway the target buyers; young or cutting edge buyers in Blue states. Have you ever noticed how many young professionals (who see themselves as “hip”) drive Volkswagons? There is nothing special at all about Volkswagons; they just so happen to target these folks with their ads, and it works. This type of song belongs in an ad for a pickup truck.

4.) GM is better just remixing a hip existing commercial song for their ad. And just use it as background for a voice-over or text scroll, rather than let the lyrics carry the message.

OK, I’ll stop now.

Jim in PA

Jim in PA

May 12th, 2009 (10:31 am)

#58 Exp_EngTech – Why do I imagine a Swiffer commercial when I try to see this?

k-dawg

May 12th, 2009 (10:46 am)

Regarding moving the Headquarters, here’s a funny shirt that kind of explains it.

Exp_EngTech

Exp_EngTech

May 12th, 2009 (10:46 am)

Jim in PA:

You’re right.
    They wasted the song on the wrong product a few years ago.

k-dawg

May 12th, 2009 (10:49 am)

Ford stock is tanking too today. house of cards….

Wonder how many suppliers are going to go CH11 this summer?

CaptJackSparrow

May 12th, 2009 (10:49 am)

To the Tune of “Queen – We Will Rock You”

Buddy you’re a boy make a big noise
    Playin in the street gonna be a big man some day
    You got OIL on yo face
    You big disgrace
    Kickin your can all over the place

We won’t we won’t PUMP GAS
    We won’t we won’t PUMP GAS

Buddy you’re a young man hard man
    Shoutin in the street gonna CLAEN UP the world some day
    You got OIL on yo face
    You big disgrace
    Wavin your GREASE all over the place

We won’t we won’t PUMP GAS
    We won’t we won’t PUMP GAS

Buddy you’re an old man poor man
    Pleadin with your eyes gonna BUY you a VOLT some day

You got OIL on your face
    You big disgrace
    Somebody better put O-PEC back in their place

We won’t we won’t PUMP GAS
    We won’t we won’t PUMP GAS

————————————————–
    Also, keep Howie Long out of the commercials. Send him back to Radio Shack!!

Tagamet

May 12th, 2009 (10:51 am)

Instead of a jingle, how about a slogan:

Reduce
    Reuse
    Recycle
    Re-VOLT

or

(Cavalry bugle) then CHARGE! (quiet voice) Chevy Volt.
    Be well,
    Tag

noel park

noel park

May 12th, 2009 (10:53 am)

Spare me.

Almost time to cue “Dandy” Don Meredith -”Turn Out The Lights, The Party’s Over.” aka TOTLTPO

#19 MarkinWI:

Didn’t they try to sell the RenCen already? Maybe the Detroit real estate market’s not too hot?

You’re right though, moving is expensive. Even if they only went to Milford or Warren, it would have to cost several million dollars by the time they got all of their stuff over there, systems wired up, etc.

Who cares about the Detroit income tax if you are losing billions? They ought to have a pretty good carryover, LOL. Maybe Fritz, huh? I guess he’s still making $2 – $3 million a year.

May 12th, 2009 (11:00 am)

#57 Tagamet – Clearly comic relief. :-)

Speaking of commercials, I haven’t seen one for the new Prius. My personal favorite for a recent commercial is one for the new Honda Fury. Has a gazillion frames starting with a missile and morphing into, among other things, a guy cartoon on a motorcycle. It doesn’t seem to be on Youtube, which is a shame. C’mon Honda Marketing get on the stick! it’s visually one of the best commercials I’ve seen in many years.

JohnT

JohnT

May 12th, 2009 (11:00 am)

GM should move where ever its cheapest to operate. If they are really serious about becoming viable they should do what is best for their bottom line. The could probably operate much more cheaply in the southwest somwhere like Nevada (no income taxes, huge business incentives). American jobs are American jobs, who cares what state they come from?

The Grump

The Grump

May 12th, 2009 (11:06 am)

Tomorrow, tomorrow,
    Buy a Volt, tomorrow
    It’s only two years awayyyyyyyy.
    ——————————————-
    Thank you, thank you very much.

(Ladies and gentlemen, the Grump has left the building)

May 12th, 2009 (11:10 am)

Lyle, this is such a great post.

So many creative people here. I am laughing (in a good way) to all your jingles. I think you should all be hired by GM to promote the Volt. Unfortunately, you will have to do for free as they can’t afford to pay you. :(

noel park

noel park

May 12th, 2009 (11:11 am)

#62 k-dawg:

LOL

#65 CaptJack:

A for the day so far.

Man oh man, these are the desperate hours.

Bob

Bob

May 12th, 2009 (11:14 am)

I loked at the lyrics, and hear the tune to “Brother, Can You Spare a Dime?”

Once there was a car biz, ridin’ high.
    Envied all over the world.
    Once there was a car biz, now it’s gone.
    Brother, that was quite a whirl.

statik

May 12th, 2009 (11:15 am)

#54 Chris C said:

Yes, off topic but in the news…

Devalue the peso, I mean $ ?
    Oil becomes more expensive?
    Imported steel / cars become more expensive?
    Domestic products gain the advantage?
    The US decends into irrelevence?

Chris
    =====================
    That is pretty far off topic, but you mentioned my directly, so I make a quick statement without getting into it.

A annual deficit this large does indeed affect the dollar adversely, however its worth (or buying power) is relative to the financial status of the countries it trades with.

(disclaimer: a ton of other stuff goes into value a currency besides this)

Mighty Mouse

Mighty Mouse

May 12th, 2009 (11:17 am)

I think Musk is a genius. At least he started doing something. GM is just a lame follower. Elon leads by example. If anyone thinks this stuff is so easy try spending YOUR money on leading-edge technologies that are super expensive. He is just trying to better things. Get of his back you Volt clowns.

Tagamet

May 12th, 2009 (11:23 am)

Yes-ter-dayyyy
    GM Bankruptcy seemed far away,
    Now we need the Volt to save the day
    Oy! Yes-ter-day came sud-den-ly….

Tag

LauraM

May 12th, 2009 (11:32 am)

Based on the article I read, the mayor of Warren is trying to get GM to consolidate its headquarters with its technical center in Warren. My guess is that GM is willing to discuss their offer, and may try to get some concessions from Detriot in exchange for staying.

I really don’t see this going anywhere. GM is in no shape to think about moving right now. Not only is moving expensive, it would mean a loss of focus. And GM really can’t afford that right now.

LauraM

May 12th, 2009 (11:39 am)

#64 k-dawg

statik

May 12th, 2009 (11:53 am)

#78 LauraM said:

“#64 k-dawg, Ford stock is down because they are trying to raise cash through an equity offering.”
    ==========================
    Which is genius I think, because their stock is just as worthless as GM’s in the long run. It is like a free 1.5-2 billion dollars.

Mulally has been doing a ridiculously good job (imo) since took over in late ’06. I mean no one can save Ford from its eventual demise, but he has brought value to the name by holding out so long.

He also did a excellent job dumping Jag and Land Rover when people still paid actually money for bad automakers. Divested himself from Mazda, working on ditching Volvo now too. And most importantly borrowed 23+ billion as soon as he got the job against the assets…which it turns out if he didn’t, today they would probably be worth about a tenth.

PLJ

PLJ

May 12th, 2009 (11:55 am)

Mighty Mouse @75 says “Get of his back you Volt clowns.”
    ————————————

Mr. Mouse, the Tesla is a fine car for what it is, but it is not in the same league as the Chevy Volt.

The Tesla is an electric vehicle, and as such it has range anxiety built right into it. This may not be a problem for the few rich folks who buy one for $110,000 so they can tool around on weekends and have some local fun. It IS a problem for other people who need a REAL car for the REAL duties they need to do in REAL life.

The Chevy Volt is an Extended Range Electric vehicle, and as such it is a normal, everyday vehicle for the average American. It can be driven anywhere, anytime, without any concern about the batteries running out of juice. Just plug it in whenever you get home and your next day’s first 40 miles are all-electric and petroleum-free. This handles almost 80% of the driving we do in America.

I like the Tesla. I saw my first one the other day. It is totally cool for what it is – an expensive toy.

The Chevy Volt on the other hand is a watershed vehicle. One that will usher in a new era of motoring for millions of people.

And, just as important, it will help wean us off foreign oil.

May 12th, 2009 (11:55 am)

From the song, the jingle is the two lines
    “Chevy Volt! Chevy Volt, leaves me money for play.
    Chevy Volt! Chevy Volt, Chevy Volt’s here to stay.”

or more sunshine in the mood

“Chevy Volt! Chevy Volt, leaves me money for play.
    Chevy Volt! Chevy Volt, let’s be happy today.”

or a little edgier

“Chevy Volt! Chevy Volt, leaves me money for play.
    Chevy Volt! Chevy Volt, just get out of my way.”

or “instructional”

“Chevy Volt! Chevy Volt, put the gas pump away.
    Chevy Volt! Chevy Volt, be electric today.”

I like this jingle. Lots of possible variations on the same theme.

/note just 10 seconds for the jingle part, as sung

Jp

Jp

May 12th, 2009 (11:57 am)

Sorry, but that isn’t a “jingle” .. It’s too long, & dreary.
    It’s like a bad sounding, 70′s Southern Rock wannabe song.

PLJ

PLJ

May 12th, 2009 (12:04 pm)

In addition to my above comment @80, the Tesla Model S is cheaper, but it still has no range extender, and so cannot be considered to be a rival of the Chevy Volt.

statik

May 12th, 2009 (12:06 pm)

I am embarrassed for many of you…won’t be telling anyone to check out the site today.

(j/k…but not really. What does it mean when you squint as you read the comments? No, I’m j/k…at least I’m pretty sure anyway)

CaptJackSparrow

May 12th, 2009 (12:12 pm)

Here’s the one statik secretly picked. 80′s big hair band!!!!

Twisted Sister – “We’re not gonna take it”
    He even has the link: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-94688372859167974

Ironically, in view of our dependency of oil, the lyrics are 100% dead on? Hmmm…..

Oh We’re Not Gonna Take It

we’re Free/yeah
    we’ll Fight/yeah
    you’ll See/yeah

we’re Not Gonna Take It
    no, We Ain’t Gonna Take It
    we’re Not Gonna Take It Anymore

we’re Not Gonna Take It, No!
    no, We Ain’t Gonna Take It
    we’re Not Gonna Take It Anymore

just You Try And Make Us
    we’re Not Gonna Take It
    come On
    no, We Ain’t Gonna Take It
    you’re All Worthless And Weak

LauraM

May 12th, 2009 (12:27 pm)

I wasn’t going to say anything about the jingle because I didn’t want to be critical. And, honestly, jingle writing is definately not my forte. But since GM reads this site, and they could use feedback…

First of all, I really don’t see the point of focusing on saving money on gas when it’s a $40,000 car. This is not why people are going to buy this car. Maybe four or five years down the road, with gen3. But not now.

Second, in advertising, you should focus on the positive. GM should not run ads bashing “gas guzzlers” or the ICE engine. They should discuss the advantages of the Volt not the disadvantages of traditional cars. It’s about phrasing. (Save money on gas, not I couldn’t afford my old car.)

And this is GM, not Tesla. Not only is GM going to try to sell ICE cars at the same time as the Volt (which makes beyond counterproductive to bash the majority of their product line-up), but it’s entire history is based on the ICE engine. They should use their history, not run from it.

If I were going to write an advertisement for GM–I would focus on GM’s history of technical innovation–starting with the electric starter, continuing with the hybrid bus technology, and then ending with the all new Volt that frees us from gasoline.

Or, I would go back to the EV1, point out that it wasn’t ready, but “you wanted it,” so GM found a way to make it happen. And this time, it’s ready for the masses.

I would also run ads focusing on the electric performance. Maybe a BMW, or a Lamborgini against the Volt in front of a race track–and the Volt jumps ahead (at least in the first half second). This isn’t something I care about, but a lot of people do.

But the most important thing is that people understand exactly what the Volt is. So, the majority of advertising time should be spent explaining the EREV concept. At least, IMHO.

statik

May 12th, 2009 (12:28 pm)

Since we seem to be invoking Tesla…and Elon Musk himself for some reason, I have to wade in a little bit.

I just can’t rag on this guy. I think he just woke up one morning and said, “I want to go to space”…and did it. Then the next day said, “I want to build electric cars”…and did it.

He is basically NASA for a couple years. Well, at least in the business of getting crap into space and to the ISS. The shuttles are retired in another year…and he is contracted to do all the trips thereafter to the ISS (worth between 1.6 and 3 billion), at least until the Constellation program is ready (who knows when that will actually be).

C’mon, he has a launch crew on a island…how awesome is that? (and leases out Complex 40 on Cape Canaveral (where they did the Titan program) for the NASA jobs)

k-dawg

May 12th, 2009 (12:29 pm)

Today’s thread has dated a lot of people.

(no i’m not talking about Sarah Spiegel)

zipdrive

zipdrive

May 12th, 2009 (12:31 pm)

HELP! JANE! STOP THIS CRAZY THING!

Please, can we bump up the IQ level on tomorrows blogs?

k-dawg

May 12th, 2009 (12:31 pm)

86 LauraM

they need to 86 any thought of bringing up the EV1. Why open old wounds?

May 12th, 2009 (12:37 pm)

Tagamet, you took mine!

Yesterday
    Seemed like gasoline was here to stay
    Now we have to find another way
    to get around like yesterday.

Suddenly
    Cars are gonna use ‘lectricity
    Will the juice run out? I guess we’ll see
    That doesn’t sound too good to me

Now there’s
    Something new, I can’t wait to take a whirl
    In a Chevy Volt
    It’s the best part of both worlds!

/not quitting day job

May 12th, 2009 (12:50 pm)

zipdrive (#89):

“Please, can we bump up the IQ level on tomorrows blogs?”

We can’t dwell on GM’s “one foot in the grave and one on a banana peel” reality every single day.

We might as well laugh today, since we may have to cry tomorrow.

JohnT

JohnT

May 12th, 2009 (12:54 pm)

There is no denying Musk is a genius. He set out to do exactly what he wanted, prove that electric vehicles could be cool and not look like EV1s or a Prius. He shattered the image of the golf cart performance electric vehicle and made them sexy. Now every care maker in the world is working on one.

Cars were too easy for Musk, he’s already thinking about building supersonic electric powered airplanes. (no joke)

LauraM

May 12th, 2009 (12:55 pm)

#79 Statik

I agree about Mulally. Ford is lucky to have him. And I think they know that. And so does the media. I haven’t read one article critical of him. (Other than the private plane to a bailout hearing.) He’s one of a few CEO’s who have made a visible difference.

So, do you think Obama will demand that he resign when its Ford’s turn?

May 12th, 2009 (1:00 pm)

#90 k-dawg

Because everyone else will bring it up. GM might as well. And I think it’s past time that they give their side of the story. And with the Volt in production, why not face them head-on?

Besides, since everyone says the EV1 is a great car–why wouldn’t they buy the Volt. It’s made by the same people?

May 12th, 2009 (1:16 pm)

#90, #95

The Volt is essentially “EV2″ with a jazzier name, a notion that “GM Killed the Electric Car” followers hate to acknowledge.

While I like the idea of meeting the inevitable EV1 criticism head on, it would have to be done very carefully.

The GMKTEC people are easily startled, but they’ll soon be back; and in greater numbers. One doesn’t travel the Michael Moore wasteland lightly.

Robert Parks

Robert Parks

May 12th, 2009 (1:24 pm)

Lyle

I have followed the Volt and your web since it began. Bob Lutz dumping his shares at this time will forever keep me from purchasing a Volt. What a shallow and selfish individual along with the other GM Execs. If it were a matter of financial necessity I could understand, but I will not support such a group of cowards.

Robert

May 12th, 2009 (1:34 pm)

Oops, before someone corrects me: it was Chris Paine, not Michael Moore who wrote and directed “Who Killed the Electric Car.”

I don’t know how I could have made such a mistake.

…well, OK; Cap’n Jack and I went to H ( . Y . ) ters (he’s too snoggered at the moment to confirm this).

Guy Incognito

Guy Incognito

May 12th, 2009 (1:38 pm)

Six GM Executives are Dumping Stock; Sending Stock Value to 76 Year Low.

The six executives are:
    * Bob Lutz, Vice Chairman
    * Thomas Stephens, Vice Chairman
    * Ralph Szygenda, CIO
    * Troy Clarke, President
    * Gary Cowger, Group Vice-President
    * Carl-Peter Forster, GM Europe

_-=

bettylouspence

bettylouspence

May 12th, 2009 (1:41 pm)

If we’re talking advertising then Chevy should turn to its roots and emphasize the independence (from foreign oil) that the Volt offers. It’s what sold trucks… you know what I’m talking about CE: all these folks on this site are talking RDB, but I’m sure you’re working on the QofL. Independence, peace of mind, individuality, “hip” (which seems to appease a certain CCO).

ccombs

ccombs

May 12th, 2009 (1:46 pm)

Musk is at it again…why is he criticizing a vehicle not even close in price or capability to any of his own (including the model s- the volt will be on a cheaper gen II by the time that comes out). What does that get him? It is just counterproductive, if his goal is to really see the electrification of the auto.

Jim in PA

Jim in PA

May 12th, 2009 (1:47 pm)

#97 Robert – I am no Lutz fanboy by any means, but I fail to see what he did wrong. He held on until the bitter end, and waited until AFTER GM ackowledged that they might declare bankruptcy before dumping his worthless stock. The guy operated pretty much on the up-and-up given the circumstances. Oh, and seeing as how Lutz no longer has stock and no longer can profit from GM’s sales, how on earth does refusing to buy a Volt punish him? If you want to really punish him, buy a Volt, help GM’s stock bounce back, and make him wish he hadn’t dumped it.

MarkinWI

MarkinWI

May 12th, 2009 (1:50 pm)

Chris C @ #54 – What Statik says is true – there are alot of things that go into currency value, and – everything is relative, including the fact that the value of the dollar is relative to the value of other currencies. There are several possible outcomes for a country that has a drop in the value of its currency.

If we go through a relative drop that is an adjustment then U.S. exports should become cheaper, and imports should become more expensive. So your $15,000 KIA becomes a $20,000 KIA. In theory this should mean that more domestic and foreign consumers will look at U.S. products, assuming that quality is considered to be relatively good. All of which is one reason why I’ve been strongly in favor of keeping GM afloat – if we give away our manufacturing base now, we won’t be able to reap the benefit of the currency value adjustments later.

If the drop is completely catastrophic then the U.S. will go through a severe economic event. This is the kind of ground that is fertile for radical political changes (think Hitler in post-WWI Germany). Money will become worthless. There is also precedent for a coalition of nations extracting the debt owed to them by armed force (e.g. invasion of Mexico and other western powers during the 1800s) in the form of hard assets. But I would stress that the amount of U.S. debt and deficits at this point is nowhere near great enough to suggest that a collapse is likely, and I haven’t seen any informed commentary to the contrary.

May 12th, 2009 (1:51 pm)

Jackson,
    I totally agree about the laugh while you have the chance comment.
    (Your “Yesterday” was far better than mine too),
    Be well,
    Tag

MarkinWI

MarkinWI

May 12th, 2009 (1:56 pm)

Re: me @ #103 “relative drop” should read, “relatively small drop…” and example in last paragraph should read “Invasion of Mexico BY US and other western powers…”

Re: Noel Park @ #67 – I don’t have any real info about the proposed move. Some of the posters have pointed out some good reasons for looking at the move. I just think the timing is really poor, and, you’re right, I don’t think that GM needs to worry about that 5% city tax for a while.

May 12th, 2009 (2:24 pm)

Why even bother selling your GM stock? If you bought it 10 years or so ago, it’s already lost about 99% of its value. Why waste the time to sell it now to salvage that last percentage? Better to hold on to it as a souvenir of GM’s legacy.

May 12th, 2009 (2:26 pm)

Sung to “Everybody Is A Star” ~ Sly Stone

Everybody wants this car
    Drive through the rain, and through the dust all day

Everybody wants this car
    Ooh, come out on a cloudy day

Own a car that makes you proud
    When the traffic tries to slow you down

Turtle Wax so it will shine tonight
    You don’t need gas to hole shot from the light

Ba pa-pa-pa ba pa-pa ba ba ba pa-pa ba pa-pa ba pa-pa ba ba ba,
    ba-pa ba-pa ba ba, ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh

=D~

Zach

Zach

May 12th, 2009 (2:34 pm)

Sarah is a HOTTIE! I would take her over a Volt any day ;) lmao…

Gary

Gary

May 12th, 2009 (2:46 pm)

87 Statik:

It looks like Elon is having some difficulty with his space program:

During times of economic growth, I can understand his dabbling in electric cars and space exploration. However, investment money is not flowing freely at this time. He should concentrate on doing less things better, instead of more things worse.

May 12th, 2009 (2:55 pm)

With all of Elon’s money and effort, he should concentrate on battery cell technology. I’d like to see another American company on this forefront.
    (that is, if he isn’t already)

coffeetime

coffeetime

May 12th, 2009 (2:55 pm)

Ahem!

How ’bout a little play on Blue Oyster Cult’s “(Don’t Fear) the Reaper”:

Chevy Volt is the future
    Just like the wind, the sun and the rain … we can be like they are
    Come on, baby … don’t fear the future
    You can go real far … don’t fear the future
    You’ll be able to drive … don’t fear the future
    Baby, I’m your car …

When the lyrics “wind, sun and the rain” are playing, the commercial could show windmills, solar panels and hydroelectric dams all producing clean electric energy.

112. [...] be hearing this particular jingle on the air any time soon, but you’re free to have a listen for yourself at this link (scroll to the [...]

May 12th, 2009 (3:03 pm)

Lyle, nice tune coming from a beautiful lady – Sarah Spiegel. The tune does not do her beauty justice. But, thanks, Sarah. Good job.

Lido

Lido

May 12th, 2009 (3:10 pm)

GM is doomed.
    When even Lutz dumps his GM investment, that shows that doom is on the horizon.

At least Musk cannot be fired. (like Lutz was at least).

Elon is a true visonary. Let him lead and everyone else just get out of his way !!!

May 12th, 2009 (3:14 pm)

#97 Robert Parks says
    ————————-

With greatest respect, I disagree with you. Bob Lutz has seen the writing on the wall clearly for the last several years, yet he has kept the faith and held on until now. That has been greatly to his personal disadvantage. At this point GM has pursued every path to avoid bankruptcy, yet it still seems likely. It is sensible for every investor to let their GM stock go now for its small residual value. Anyone still holding it should be a speculator willing to take a huge risk and likely lose it all.

ToolShop

ToolShop

May 12th, 2009 (3:16 pm)

If I had a few hundred thousand shares of GM right now, I would sell it as well. You would not be very smart not to sell it.

May 12th, 2009 (3:44 pm)

#110 k-dawg

(that is, if he isn’t already)
    _______________________________
    I believe his original plan was to get a PhD in energy physics at Stanford studying super cap technology. But his plan was detoured, and being Elon he instead wound up making hundreds of millions during the internet boom.

118. [...] that we’ll be hearing this particular jingle on the air any time soon, but you’re free to have a listen for yourself at this link (scroll to the bottom).[Source: GM-Volt.com]Continue reading Electric Entertainment: Sarah Spiegel [...]

119. [...] jingle on &#116he air any &#116i&#109e soon, bu&#116 you’re &#102ree &#116o ha&#118e a lis&#116&#101n f&#111r &#121&#111urs&#101lf a&#116 &#116his link (scroll to t&#104e [...]

May 12th, 2009 (4:27 pm)

GM: First-gen Volts won’t communicate with grid, future versions will

One ofthe reasons why I want a Gen1 but no fukin Onstar.

May 12th, 2009 (5:14 pm)

Price of gas getting you down?

Don’t revolt,
    Buy a VOLT

122. [...] we’ll be hearing this particular jingle on the air any time soon.In any case, you’re free to have a listen at this link (scroll to the bottom) and judge for yourself.[Source: GM-Volt.com | Image: [...]

123. [...] we’ll be hearing this particular jingle on the air any time soon.In any case, you’re free to have a listen at this link (scroll to the bottom) and judge for yourself.[Source: GM-Volt.com | Image: [...]

124. [...] we’ll be hearing this particular jingle on the air any time soon.In any case, you’re free to have a listen at this link (scroll to the bottom) and judge for yourself.[Source: GM-Volt.com | Image: [...]

125. [...] we’ll be hearing this particular jingle on the air any time soon.In any case, you’re free to have a listen at this link (scroll to the bottom) and judge for yourself.[Source: GM-Volt.com | Image: [...]

May 12th, 2009 (6:02 pm)

CaptnJack@120 re OnStar

I thought that OnStar was a regular, built in feature for the first year on Chevy’s. After that it’s a monthly fee.
    Might be wrong.
    Be well,
    Tag

May 12th, 2009 (6:11 pm)

@Tagamet 126

My gripe about Onstar is it’s something I don’t want, don’t wat to pay service on and don’t want to have to “Remember” to cancel the service after one year. The link below is one other issue I have with the upgrades. What happens if they go 16bit digital signal and “depricate” the 8bit signal because the satelite was upgraded? Smae sh|t. But they’ll be the first ones to say it woun’t happen.

This product is hundreds if you want to buy it and put in in your existing car. If I can not buy the car without it, I’m not buying the car. I hate when they “Pool” sh|t like this in a product.

Van

Van

May 12th, 2009 (6:12 pm)

Off Topic:

This innovation appears to provide a possible improvement for the 2d Gen Volt. It would reduce the time to accelerate and improve miles per kWh.

Rodney M

Rodney M

May 12th, 2009 (6:12 pm)

I’m sorry to say this, but that jingle is terrible. Sarah has a nice voice and great looks, but this jingle is just a rehash of all the crappy jingles that GM used in the 80′s. If I heard this jingle on air, it would make me think the car is a joke. I want the Volt (and GM) to succeed. There’s a new generation of buyers that won’t be fooled by “catchy” jingles. The best thing about it was the Queen rip-off rhythm at the beginning.

IMHO

Red HHR

Red HHR

May 12th, 2009 (6:31 pm)

Free From Gasoline…
    Sheryl Crow’s song “Gasoline” that is…
    Yeah I would through the word “from” between the words free & gasoline… Just use the refrain.
    Nice song, neat, current and over the edge.

Ben

Ben

May 12th, 2009 (6:32 pm)

say what you will about Tesla but they already sold over 400 Roadsters and just surpassed 1000 Reservations for the Model S Electric Car

why doesn’t GM take $10,000 or so deposits to reserve the Volt, I wonder how many of you would put your money where your mouth is?

Dan Petit

Dan Petit

May 12th, 2009 (6:32 pm)

Here’s my jingle for all voltec vehicles. It is sung to the tune of an old and really cute country and western tune that was popular around 1972. The song is about a couple on the beach and applying suntan lotion and relaxing in the sun. The name of it is “Rub it in, rub it in”, and, these lyrics go with the notes and pace of that song.

“Plug it in, plug it in, plug it in, plug it in,
    “Take her out for a spin, with that gas-savin’ grin,
    “Plug it in, plug it in,

“Plug it in, plug it in, plug it in plug it in,
    “It’s so quiet within, you new life will begin,
    “Plug it in, plug it in,

“Plug it in, plug it in, plug it in plug it in,
    “It ain’t made ‘a no tin, GM parts are within,
    “Plug it in, plug it in,

“Plug it in, plug it in, plug it in, plug it in,
    The war on carbon we’ll win, petro-war is a sin,
    “Plug it in, plug it in,

“Plug it in, plug it in, plug it in, plug it in,
    Let the healin’ begin, from this bad scene we’re in,
    “Pug it in, plug it in.

“Plug it in, plug it in, plug it in, plug it in,
    This is where we begin, let the healin’ begin,
    Plug it in, plug it in.

The song had longer lyrics, but, this might be a good start for others to expand it.
    Dan Petit Austin TX

May 12th, 2009 (6:35 pm)

CaptnJack@127 re OnStar

I hear you and understand. It’s not a deal maker OR breaker for me. I can really take it or leave it. When things like the electric company deciding when it can charge your car (with your permission via agreement/contract) that’s where I’ll likely draw the line. Smart meters are fine, especially when I get something on the house to generate some electrons.
    Be well,
    Tag

May 12th, 2009 (6:39 pm)

@Tagamet 133

If I do buy it, the first thing that happens is I’ll find that box and disconnect it. Then I’ll post it on the web with instructions on how to do it.

Timaaayyy!!!

Timaaayyy!!!

May 12th, 2009 (6:49 pm)

We crushed the electric auto
    But this time we didn’t dawdle
    We’re steal’n your bailout cash
    And burn’n it in a flash

Of the Chevy Volt
    You’ll get a jolt
    Of personal financial pain

With the Chevy Volt
    You’ll get that jolt
    By refueling in the rain

Red HHR

Red HHR

May 12th, 2009 (6:57 pm)

I remember an old billboard that stood for a decade or more. It was a Chevy ad. It had a picture of a small blue convertible, a big Chevy bow-tie, and the words.

Jet Smoother for 66…

jdsv

jdsv

May 12th, 2009 (7:16 pm)

@17 statik (and others)
    ‘You get it back even if you pay $0…all you have to do is file your taxes. My understanding is it is a credit/rebate that is paid out to you..and income tax is that vehicle for the gov’t to do it.’

The way I read Sec. 30D, the tax credit isn’t to exceed my amount owed on regular taxes at source, with some carryover allowance. Isn’t that how (at least some) other hybrid credits have been as well?

I thought a rebate (refund?) was different from a credit? Could somebody who _knows_ please put this issue to rest for me?

NPNS!! =D~~

Herm

Herm

May 12th, 2009 (7:28 pm)

that article is pretty nasty.. by all accounts Elon has done a great thing with SpaceX, and from day one he was intending to eventually go to mars with his rockets.

I think he has done well with his electric car also, and he did motivate GM.. and GM has apparently motivated every other manufacturer on the planet.

……………………..

#109 Gary Says:

It looks like Elon is having some difficulty with his space program

jdsv

jdsv

May 12th, 2009 (7:42 pm)

Okay, I’ve been reading it more, and maybe this is friendlier than I first thought. I’ll ask a better question, and sort of answer it.

Do these sorts of credits apply after everything’s said and done (after refunds), with the ‘regular taxes’ stipulation only serving to limit the credit in the case that taxes (paid or unpaid) are less than $7,500?

An example that will hopefully answer many questions:
    A person has $6,400 withheld, then ends up owing $5,800. This person also bought a Volt for that tax year. Will the person receive $6,400, and not $600?

NPNS!! =D~~

jefro

jefro

May 12th, 2009 (7:51 pm)

I like pretty girls.

I like them more if they can sing or play music.

I like them more as I get Older.

Kind of stinks I lost all that money in GM stock.

I still like pretty girls.

Keith

Keith

May 12th, 2009 (7:56 pm)

The New Mean Green Machine

The Volt , by GM

Coming in Dec 2011

or , and

A Vote for Volt is a vote for Freedom .

( we all know what the freedom is all about )

or , and

GM kicks gas . ( Sounds like GM kicks ass ) with the Volt

CDAVIS

CDAVIS

May 12th, 2009 (8:00 pm)

______________________________________________________
    I enjoyed today’s blog thread and even posted my own #31 Volt Jingle.

Are we the violin players on the sinking Titanic or the cheering section for a soon-to-be Comeback Kid?
    ______________________________________________________
    Electric Cars + Nuclear Power = Amercian Energy Independence!
    ______________________________________________________

CDAVIS

CDAVIS

May 12th, 2009 (8:07 pm)

______________________________________________________
    #143 Keith Said:
    “…GM kicks gas . ( Sounds like GM kicks ass )…”

I like it.
    GM KICKS GAS!
    ______________________________________________________

May 12th, 2009 (8:18 pm)

131 Ben says:

__________________________________

Selling 400 Teslas and taking 1000 deposits from David Letterman and his friends in Hollywood and Beverly Hills is not the same as 28,000+ hard-working middle-class Americans saving up their cash to buy a vehicle that is reasonably affordable and has the potential to reduce their monthly cashflow by eliminating their gasoline credit card bill.

Of course Tesla is doing well right now. People who can afford one of those isn’t worried about losing their job in the next round of lay-offs.

Your comparison lacks any notion of reality, and I believe GM will start taking deposits after they are done with more pressing matters.

Monroe

Monroe

May 12th, 2009 (8:50 pm)

I think the jingle is off-base. The car is not about saving money because you can get a cheap car that will save you much more money than you save on gas over time with the Volt. The Volt is about environmentalism, energy independence, and the awesomeness of electric motor propulsion.

Robert Parks

Robert Parks

May 12th, 2009 (8:58 pm)

Monroe

Monroe

May 12th, 2009 (9:03 pm)

#146: Tesla will not do the Voltec drivetrain because of their ideological commitment. The public will be missing out without the Volt. If GM dies hopefully the Volt project will be bought by someone else.

Kurt

Kurt

May 12th, 2009 (9:17 pm)

#132 Dan Petit has the right idea. His lyrics make much more sense than hers, and maybe somebody will recognize it. I wonder if Glade Plug-Ins would let us use their jingle??
    I’m a music teacher, so I think I have a pretty good ear for things…she’s pretty, but the song sucks. It’s not catchy, which it would have to be in this case. The opening I thought was Queen, and then I was even more disappointed.
    Lyle, your turn again to get this jingle idea going…hold a competition!! All you have to do is set a cash prize plus agree to run it on the first however many commercials to see how it runs, a percentage after that, and you will have much more talented and creative songwriters making something that will get stuck in everyone’s head!

Robert Parks

Robert Parks

May 12th, 2009 (9:20 pm)

GM and the Volt are dead, Long live Tesla at least they are not run by the six cowards that dumped their GM stock today including Mr Volt Bob Lutz.

May 12th, 2009 (9:28 pm)

#144 CorvetteGuy

Actually, Tesla’s current target demographic has also taken quite a hit lately. A lot of the formerly rich aren’t so rich anymore. And luxury car sales, in particular, are down. Tesla’s a small company, so it doesn’t need to produce in volume to make money. And they offer a unique product. So I’m hoping they’ll be OK. But there’s no guarantee of that.

May 12th, 2009 (10:08 pm)

#150 LauraM

With a little luck (and another 50 billion, give or take 20 bucks) GM will come out as a smaller car company that does not need to sell as big a volume to make money too.

Yoda

Yoda

May 12th, 2009 (11:02 pm)

When competitors start offering similar car for $20K’s… in big trouble GM will be. Wait and see.

May be the force be with you all.

rob

rob

May 12th, 2009 (11:24 pm)

That jingle is AWEFUL! Her singing is really bad. I love the promotion of the volt, but wow that was horrifying.

BillR

BillR

May 13th, 2009 (5:13 am)

#146 Robert Parks,

“If the six execs that gave up on GM today including Lutz why would anyone expect the Volt or GM to survive. I have been excited about the Volt but will look to another manufacturer like Tesla to get the job done. Goodbye to Lyle , the Volt and GM.”

Goodbye. Have fun posting on the Tesla site. See you on the road in 2010!

Johnny Rickshaw

Johnny Rickshaw

May 13th, 2009 (10:09 am)

OMG, Lutz dumps GM !

Maximum Bob’s actions speak louder than words.

GM you are done.

Yeah, i know the feds will save your carcass, but you will never ever be the GM of the 50′s and 60′s. Those days are over and you are over. It’s time to move my purchases to another maker.

noel park

noel park

May 13th, 2009 (10:18 am)

#140 jefro:

LOL, literally. Thanks.

The Chevy Volt Jingle – The Blogs at HowStuffWorks

The Chevy Volt Jingle – The Blogs at HowStuffWorks

May 13th, 2009 (12:15 pm)

[...] if you’re interested, here it is: the Chevy Volt jingle from singer and songwriter Sarah Spiegel. (You’ll need to scroll to the bottom of the post [...]

Dan Petit

Dan Petit

May 13th, 2009 (5:52 pm)

#148 Kurt.
    Thank you for your comment. I believe SC Johnson Wax family may currently have the rights to “Plug it in,….
    They are a very nice environmentally-friendly company who has an information ad here in Austin on PBS which lets us know that they have subscribed to Wind Energy to power one of their factories, a methane generation unit (over an old landfill) to power another of their factories, and a waste wood-fueled electric generation unit to power still another of their factories in the Far East.
    If anyone can get in contact with them, and ask if the rights might be shared for Voltec advertising with “Plug it in,…., if GM might be interested, (only we can ask SC Johnson, I think), then, as a very highly environmentally wise firm, they might just allow that as yet another very generous contribution by SC Johnson to the preservation of the environment.
    Kurt, could you do that (for GM) (I’m a real klutz when it comes to the internet since all my efforts literally go to my job) ?
    Dan Petit Austin, TX

May 13th, 2009 (6:55 pm)

Last one….
    Short an Sweet and sung by all people of race, color, creed and lifestyles (OK PR injection), US geographic location and must have kids….

This Volt is your Volt, this Volt is my Volt
    From California, to the New York Island
    From the redwood forest, to the gulf stream waters
    This Volt was made for you and me……

[Cue waving US Flag fade in across the screeen....]

Kurt

Kurt

May 13th, 2009 (9:42 pm)

hmm…I don’t know that calling somebody for rights on their song is in my job responsibility as consumer either, but I hope GM and Lyle are listening and can delegate the follow-up. Of course, if they asked me, I would. I do have the ability – I do it with instrumental arrangements… I might even enter that competition, if it ever happens.

I want a g8 what now?

I want a g8 what now?

May 13th, 2009 (9:48 pm)

Forget the jingle. She is HOT…

Michael Fazekas

Michael Fazekas

May 19th, 2009 (8:25 pm)

Sarah is a beautiful woman with a great voice and i bet she was guided in what they wanted for a jingle. I think it can be improved if you think of the potential buyer in a certain way. My friend bought a Prius 3 years ago and wanted it for a year prior. He considers himself an intellectual and was not just concerned with fuel, but the technology was fascinating to him. I sat in the car and it had a hard seat and was cramped. I think if you sell intelligence, fuel efficiency and technology, you will hit right at the heart of this specialized consumer and draw others in. Mike

Larry McFall

Larry McFall

May 29th, 2009 (5:53 pm)

Mighty good song! and Sarah is mighty pretty to boot. She represents the Chevy Volt like it should be represented. A good team!