Apr 20

Chevy Volt Exact Launch Date Will be Mid-November 2010, Tens of Thousands in 2011

[ad#post_ad]As we draw closer and closer to the Chevy Volt launch day, we might wonder if GM has an exact target date within November 2010 for the launch.

Greg Ceisel is the Volt Program Manger. I asked him whether GM will begin to ship Volts to dealers closer to November 1st or November 3Oth. “The exact date in November is about the middle of the month,” he said. “There is a target date. In this program, every hour is scheduled.”

For 2011, he says “Well be ramping up production as rapidly as we can to meet demand.” He notes that “the market demand will be one factor, and we intend to ramp up production to meet it. The Detroit-Hamtramck plant is a high volume plant so we are not talking thousands, we’re talking tens of thousands.”

When asked if GM could deliver 100,000 Volts in 2011 he said “I don’t know if we’d make that in 2011, but we’d certainly do our best to make (customers) happy.”
[ad#postbottom]

This entry was posted on Monday, April 20th, 2009 at 5:32 am and is filed under Launch, Production. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

Brian

Brian

Apr 20th, 2009 (5:35 am)

just in time for Christmas. Start making your list.

GeorgeB

GeorgeB

Apr 20th, 2009 (5:55 am)

Also means we will only have a few months to wait to get our tax credit money back from Uncle Sam!

charlie h

charlie h

Apr 20th, 2009 (6:04 am)

I can’t help but notice that Ceisel didn’t offer any actual numbers.

BillR

BillR

Apr 20th, 2009 (6:16 am)

Looks like Greg Ceisel forgot to consult Statik before making this announcement. No way the Volt will be ready for November 2010!

Malamute Wolf

Malamute Wolf

Apr 20th, 2009 (6:18 am)

I wonder if I will actually be able to get one here in Ohio.

FME III

FME III

Apr 20th, 2009 (6:21 am)

My heart wants to believe everything Ceisel said, but my head says, “Take it all with a grain of salt.” There’s that little matter of a pending bankruptcy that constitutes a huge X factor in the future of this program.

Do I believe the public will someday be able to buy a Volt? Yes.

Will it be mid-November 2010? We can only hope.

nuclearboy

nuclearboy

Apr 20th, 2009 (6:39 am)

From a big picture point of view, one wonders how this is possible. November 2010 was a tough date to meet way back when (before they essentially went on Govt. Life support). Now they are still going to meet it. We were told 2 years ago that testing and other issues had little room for error if we were going to make the date. This was the moon shot. What has been cut back? Is this car going to be 100% ready for prime time. I am a big GM supporter and have owned two new GM’s that were first year models. Both had recalls and these were developed over a longer period of time and really had little in “new” technology. It is safe to say that the probability of technical issues and recalls will be higher than usual for the first year Volt.

I want one anyway.. Just commenting on what I see as an issue.

Arch

Arch

Apr 20th, 2009 (6:42 am)

Nice talk by GM. We will have to see what is left after the bankruptcy goes down. JMHO

Take Care
    Arch

Apr 20th, 2009 (6:43 am)

Nice try on those dates Lyle…good on you.
    —–
    Q:Closer to the first or last of the month?
    A:“The exact date in November is about the middle of the month,” he said.-Greg Ciesel
    —so…thats the EXACT date huh? Whats your +/- 15? lol.

Q: How many release in 2010?
    A:“How many will be sold will depend on the shipping time to the dealerships and the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays,” said Ceisel. “Those things will limit the number from a logistics standpoint, but I expect there will be a lot of interest for every vehicle that we can get to a dealer in 2010.”
    —How could we know how long it takes to ship a car from Michigan to a dealer? And our engineers are working 24/7 on trying to determine when the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays are…and how long they go on for. So dont even want to guess.

Q: Production for 2011?
    A: “For 2011, we’ll be ramping up production as rapidly as we can to meet demand. Tthe market demand will be one factor, and we intend to ramp up production to meet it. ”
    —oh, so you will be ramping in 2011 to meet demand…good to know

In summary:
    “There is a target date. In this program, every hour is scheduled.”
    –and they are all secrets, but I will use my GM ninja PR skills on you to talk but not say anything…because a lowbie like me can’t make big announcements

Bearclaw

Bearclaw

Apr 20th, 2009 (6:44 am)

Pointless speculation at this time. When do we get that mule test drive review Lyle?

BillR

BillR

Apr 20th, 2009 (6:49 am)

A production rate of 100 K units per year equates to a Volt coming off the assembly line every 5 minutes.

I’m not familiar with the Detroit-Hamtramck plant, but the Corvette plant in Bowling Green, KY makes about 35,000 Corvettes annually, working essentially just one shift.

Apr 20th, 2009 (6:50 am)

I just hope they don’t rush it. Making it as close to perfect as possible is more important than rushing it out the door, IMO.

Apr 20th, 2009 (6:50 am)

————————————————-

Great way to phrase the question, Lyle.
    And his answer is classic GM. ““The exact date in November is about the middle of the month,”

So toward the end of November, will the check be in the mail? No, but the car will be on the truck, out there and soon to drive in to the lot from somewhere out there in highway-space.(smile twice here) At the least I’m glad to hear that Mr Greg Ceisel is the Volt program manager (didn’t that use to be somebody else?) and that he’s still thinking about dates.

Gsned57

Gsned57

Apr 20th, 2009 (6:53 am)

#7 Nuclearboy, One thing the Volt has going for it that your other GM products didn’t is the best engineers at GM are working on it. As opposed to other programs where you have a mixed bag of engineers. I had a buddy of mine who worked for GM about 6 years couldn’t get into the volt program. I’m not saying he’s the smartest kid ever, but 3.8GPA Chemical Engineer and an MS in Manufacturing both from top engineering schools.

The volt may be so high tech that they are actually going to test the crap out of it. My guess is that if there is a recall on the volt it will be on chassis parts that they use on other vehicles and didn’t think twice about bolting them onto the volt. Plus, software issues will be upgraded via onstar (I think we heard that).

Maybe too optomistic but they have a lot to prove and I’m banking that they’re going to step up to the challenge

Gsned57

Gsned57

Apr 20th, 2009 (6:56 am)

In summary:
    “There is a target date. In this program, every hour is scheduled.”

Statik, you called him a “lowbie” he’s probably reading this and is going to divert all the Canadian volts down to Pennsylvania. Good job pissing off the PM.

Apr 20th, 2009 (6:58 am)

———————————————————-

Now I’m a little surprised that the “shipping time to dealerships” hasn’t been worked out in the 100 years of GM experience, but I’m really shocked about the uncertainty in the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays. One day a dealership somewhere is going to open the doors, and somebody is going to say “Hey, the guy next door says today is Thanksgiving” (smile again)

I think this one is the funniest posts we’ve had in a long time. I’ll be Mr Ceisel was laughing when he wrote it, thinking about how creative he was. It really is pretty good.

Apr 20th, 2009 (7:02 am)

———————————————————————-

Is there any way they can get this many batteries?

Apr 20th, 2009 (7:04 am)

Malamute Wolf #5: I am in Ohio too, and I sure hope so!!!

Statik #9: Did you have a fight with Mickey Mouse or something?? It is a little early for you to be so cranky…….

RB is a little touchy too!

Lighten up guys. So it is a slow news day.

I would just like to hear that GM has scrapped the limited release area plans. Then, at least we all have a shot at a Gen-1 Volt!

Go GM – Go GM Volt Team!!!

NPNS

Apr 20th, 2009 (7:12 am)

#16 Gsned 57 said:

—–

Even though Lyle calls him “the Volt Project Manager,” that title is seemingly bestowed on everyone working there…he is really the powertrain guy. I haven’t even heard his name before like a month ago.

It costs nothing to have a fancy title…so everyone’s got one.

/maybe we get our Volt’s with no powertrains, lol

Apr 20th, 2009 (7:12 am)

Lyle said Another question is exactly how many Volts GM intends to release in the 2010 calendar year.
    Ceisel responded I expect there will be a lot of interest for every vehicle that we can get to a dealer in 2010.”
    ——————————-

Ordinary people cannot mis-match Q&A that way. Takes PR training. :)

But I think the answer means “not very many.”

charlie h

charlie h

Apr 20th, 2009 (7:14 am)

#14, Gsned57: “#7 Nuclearboy, One thing the Volt has going for it that your other GM products didn’t is the best engineers at GM are working on it. As opposed to other programs where you have a mixed bag of engineers.”

Is that a warning not to buy some other GM car in the interim? Because they all got the second-class talent?

#14, Gsnet57: “I had a buddy of mine who worked for GM about 6 years couldn’t get into the volt program. I’m not saying he’s the smartest kid ever, but 3.8GPA Chemical Engineer and an MS in Manufacturing both from top engineering schools.”

Or… maybe they weren’t picked by actual talent but by political connections and it was considered a real career booster to get into Lutz program, an express ride to the top.

Gsned57, you are insufficiently pessimistic. Remember, we pessimists are happier because we are so rarely disappointed!

Apr 20th, 2009 (7:19 am)

Bank Of America posts a profit: 04/20/09

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) — Bank of America managed to avoid a loss in the first quarter, surpassing analysts’ expectations and providing further evidence the banking sector might be improving.

The Charlotte, N.C.-based company says it earned $2.81 billion after paying preferred dividends, or 44 cents per share. Analysts expected profit of 4 cents per share.

This is good news for the folks who feel their TARP tax money has been flushed down the toilet. And good news for GM. Word is that GM is making record sales in China as well.

Time to order some Volt T batteries.

=D~

BillR

BillR

Apr 20th, 2009 (7:22 am)

#16 RB

“Mr Ceisel was laughing when he wrote it and how creative he was.”

Actually, I think Greg has been very straight forward in his responses. In this interview, he notes that the Volt’s aero drag Cd is not as good as the EV1, but close.

Also, in one of the recent test drives, he notes that (paraphrased) “We are learning that we can meet the performance targets that we have been talking about.”

I believe this was in the CNN test drive video.

Apr 20th, 2009 (7:23 am)

#18 Jim I said:

RB is a little touchy too!

Lighten up guys. So it is a slow news day.
    ============================

Yeah Mickey was trying to feed me some line about it beng the happiest place on earth…so I had to give him very specific examples of just where ‘more happy’ places where, and how he could he deny the fact there was 2 children crying in his vacinity and one very disgruntled employee struggling to get a tram working in very hot weather.

He had no answer….total ownage. It was glorius.

Today’s itinerary: Epcot.
    I plan on critizing and critiquing each of the pavillions for accuracy and realism, as well as thier vision of the future….its going to be great.

Kevin R

Kevin R

Apr 20th, 2009 (7:26 am)

It’s coming, on time and that’s all that matters. That being said, I want one in 2010.

Apr 20th, 2009 (7:29 am)

#9 statik Says: In summary:
    “There is a target date. In this program, every hour is scheduled.”

————————————————————————————–
    Right. Good summary.

Apr 20th, 2009 (7:30 am)

Statik, make sure to do the GM exhibit while in Epcot. I did it back in September and thought it was fun.

Murray

Murray

Apr 20th, 2009 (7:32 am)

Hey all long time… no post…
    (work stuff – home stuff – ya’know typical life dramas…one of which has completely depleted my Volt fund…which is unfortunate)

Anyhow…the wife and I finally saw the Volt live and in person as we attended the NY auto show on Saturday.

Wifey didnt like the front grill and really couldnt understand the big black plastic trim under the windows…to quote her “who in their right mind thought that would look good!?”
    I tried to explain to her how the designers tried to keep the ‘look’ of the original concept as best they could…which, I assume, is why that black plastic trim is there…. I further explained how I was someone who lost a lot of passion for a Volt based on the design changes BUT that it really is about the electrifictaion of the car !!!
    It didnt change her mind, she said she was sorry for me, knowing how long I’ve been talking about the Volt…she was sorry because no matter what I said … she thought the Volt just didnt look good enough for someone like me, she knows that I’m pretty shallow and she just couldnt picture me ever giving up my 325i to get one.

I didnt really argue her point — then we went over to drool over the Converj, which we both loved of course….

Overall, it was really cool to see so many people crowded around both the Volt and the Converj…and to see the other electric concepts that were there…

BillR

BillR

Apr 20th, 2009 (7:33 am)

Statik,

Apr 20th, 2009 (7:35 am)

#22 Dave K said:

Bank Of America posts a profit: 04/20/09

Time to order some Volt T batteries.

=D~
    ==============================

You might want to mention that although they ‘made 2.8 billion’ They also recorded a $13.4 billion loan-loss provision in the first quarter, and the bank set aside $6.4 billion as additional reserves to cover future losses.

Additionally, the cost of insuring Bof A’s debt with defaut swaps jumped this morning after the bank reported a increase in troubled loans. 5 year credit default swaps on the bank rose by 10 basis points to 240 basis points.

And futures? (below fair value)
    Dow – 147
    Nasday -30
    S&P – 18

Bank of America pre market: down 8%
    ——
    #28 Murray:
    No offense, but I might be in love with your wife.

Apr 20th, 2009 (7:38 am)

#17 RB Says: #11 BillR says “So with 3 full shifts and given time to ramp up, I can see no reason why GM can’t make 100K Volts per year.”
    ———————————————————————-
    Is there any way they can get this many batteries?

======================================================
    Yes, LG Chem has spare production capacity for their other Li/Ion cells, and most of this can be used to make the Volt chemistry. Each battery pack uses around 300 cells, so 100,000 packs would require 30 million cells. Obviously, there would be a lag time from when GM places the order for 30 million cells to when LG ships them, but this could probably be done in less than a year.

PLJ

PLJ

Apr 20th, 2009 (7:45 am)

“There is a target date. In this program, every hour is scheduled.”
    ———————————————————————————-

I believe him.

GM isn’t fooling around anymore. They have had an awakening, and they realize that this is a watershed event, not only for GM but for the entire automobile industry.

They are determined to get this right from the start and be the undisputed leader in EREV technology.

Jeff

Jeff

Apr 20th, 2009 (7:46 am)

#14 Gsned57
    “The volt may be so high tech…”

I hope that the Volt has ONLY the amount of “high tech” required. Several folks here have compared the Volt development to the Apollo program…I hope “in the amount of effort” only.

If not, dealers may find it difficult to find the rocket scientists to service this new vehicle. And/or, the owner may need even deeper pockets for non-warranty parts.

While mass producing an EV/hydrid (at a price that is not totally insane) will be a great achievement, I’ll be impressed if the 2nd hand and 3rd hand vehicle owners praise it. A competitor is already enjoying the benefits of having a successful, reliable hybrid in the field for 10+ years.

Apr 20th, 2009 (7:56 am)

I have to agree with statik’s first post (crowd gasps)- The GM mouth noise was all smoke and mirrors.
    Actually. he was just continuing GM’s sage efforts to not disclose the real release date, because to do so would provide tactical info to its competition *cough*Toyota*cough* . Obviously, they are still on a pace for the Independence Day 2010 debut date.
    (ok,ok I’m terminally optimistic).
    I can just see statik at Disney going from exhibit to exhibit with his kids and his clipboard, to hand the evaluation sheet (copy) to the management on his way out (lol). Seriously, statik that’s a place great memories are made. Enjoy it! (too).
    Be well,
    Tag
    LJGTVWOTR!!********NPNS********Independence (from oil) Day 2010!

NZDavid

NZDavid

Apr 20th, 2009 (8:18 am)

I read Ford’s results are out on Friday, so that should be something interesting to talk about.

While I’m at it. Lyle, ask GM what the Volt does on the Japan city test cycle? Then we can have fun comparing it to the iMiEV.

I couldn’t even bring myself to comment on the last post!

oh yeah.
    <LJGTVWOTR
    NO plug, NO sale.

Apr 20th, 2009 (8:18 am)

static #30,

I didn’t say I was buying B of A. Just mentioned that the numbers look better than expected. Which is good news for everyone.

BTW: I’m still in American energy, lithium batteries, and nibbling on golf stocks. Fore?

=D~

Apr 20th, 2009 (8:22 am)

#31 Dave G –> On batteries can be available for 100K Volts.
    ——————–

Thank you.

NZDavid

NZDavid

Apr 20th, 2009 (8:27 am)

I’m in love. I want one of these as my generator! I am even prepared to wait until gen 2 to get it GM.

Actually, the whole article is worth a read. How do you say E-REV buses and trucks.

mGen. This 60kW microturbine generator is intelligently used to charge the energy storage system when low state-of-charge conditions arise. The flex-fuel microturbine weighs less than 500 lbs. vs. diesel engines which can weigh more than 3,000 lbs. The microturbine can use diesel, liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) or compressed natural gas (CNG). The microturbine has only one moving part and only requires service about every 8,000 hours of operation.

What do you think Dan?
    /PS getting my battery checked next week. Thanks for the tip.

Apr 20th, 2009 (8:38 am)

#30 statik says to Dave K at #22 about BofA’s reporting better than expected profits:
    ———————————————————

All true. Also, loan-loss provisions are simply judgments. Might even say smoke and mirrors for banks, as the recent change in accounting rules allows banks to put down more-or-less whatever the bank wants to. Most businesses under these circumstances will report optimistic numbers, and BofA under Lewis has made very optimistic projections (had fully checked out Merrill, for example).

That is, they are reporting about $20 billion in loan-loss provision. Increasing that by $5 billion would turn the “profit” into a big “loss”. (Many outside analysts would say that a considerably larger loan reserve would be a better estimate….)

Apr 20th, 2009 (8:43 am)

The countdown is on!

In 19 months I’m sure the technology will be tuned to perfection. Now, let’s talk about what will SELL the car…

“Fit and Finish”, boys. “Fit and Finish”.

StevenU

StevenU

Apr 20th, 2009 (8:46 am)

#29 While at Epcot, don’t forget to take the GM test drive, and check out the display room at the end of the ride to see what news you can find out about the Volt.

I hope they have more information than when I was there Dec07. I asked about it and all they said was “Volt???”. They had comment cards and I mentioned this lack of knowledge.

k-dawg

k-dawg

Apr 20th, 2009 (9:01 am)

Anyone watch 60minutes last night? They talked about….. yes…. “Cold Fusion”

NZDavid

NZDavid

Apr 20th, 2009 (9:04 am)

It would seem the Europeans are pretty serious about recharging!

BERLIN (AFP) – Leading automotive and energy companies have reached agreement on a common “plug” to recharge electric cars, a spokeswoman for German energy company RWE said Sunday.

The three-point, 400-volt plug, which will allow electric cars to be recharged anywhere in a matter of minutes, is set to be unveiled Monday at the world’s biggest industrial technology fair in Hanover, northern Germany.

Tim

Tim

Apr 20th, 2009 (9:04 am)

“Well be ramping up production as rapidly as we can to meet demand.”

Demand for the Volt to become “mainstream” requires 3 primary factors:

1) Price of gasoline. $4.00+/gal. req’d for any EV to makes sense for the AVERAGE buyer.
    Gas price = Hyperinflation – dying economy/decreasing demand.

2) Easy access to credit. No credit? No new car.

3) Employment. Not enough pay or no job? No new car.

Obama’s tax credits are useless if buyers can’t get credit and/or don’t have good enough jobs to make the car payments and to need the tax credits.

Of course, this year’s “stimulus” will be offset by the next year’s dramatic tax increases because taxes are an economic depressant and “stimulus jobs” are temporary in that they only last as long as the politics and projects.

The only thing REALLY being stimulated here is the size/ cost of gov’t and the giant corporations/banks they are redistributing OUR money to and their combined ever-increasing intrusion into our daily lives. Progressive/Corporate Fascism.

I hope GM’s (and our) crystal ball is not as rose-colored as it used to be.

AHH, the best laid plans…

(we’ll see)

ThombDbhomb

ThombDbhomb

Apr 20th, 2009 (9:21 am)

If November 2010 can’t possibly happen, why does GM keep saying November 2010? If the evidence suggests that November 2010 can’t possibly happen, shouldn’t the press present GM with the evidence and ask for comment?

Evil Conservative

Evil Conservative

Apr 20th, 2009 (9:27 am)

Hey Static,

Looking for a good place to eat at Epcot? Check out the Coral Reef Restaurant. Good stuff and a good view of the Aquarium. Maybe you can run some numbers on how many fish are in there and how much they eat or something. :-)

Heading there in September myself. Free meal plan from 8/16/09 – 10/03/09 if anyone is interested.

wirenutjd

wirenutjd

Apr 20th, 2009 (9:28 am)

It’s on my list and I checked it twice.

Edwin Mang

Edwin Mang

Apr 20th, 2009 (9:50 am)

100MPG H3 Humm I think I need more money .
    Saw that at raser geothermal .com

God Bless

Electric Vehicle Owner

Electric Vehicle Owner

Apr 20th, 2009 (9:55 am)

Tim 45 said:
    “Price of gasoline. $4.00+/gal. req’d for any EV to makes sense for the AVERAGE buyer.
    Gas price = Hyperinflation – dying economy/decreasing demand. ”

1. Fuel price volatility is even more effective than high fuel price at attention getting, which the media has yet to take advantage of. If you look at only fuel economics, we had no reason to shift from horses to automobiles in the first place. There’s also improved and cheaper national security, lower health care costs, improve vehicle performance at commuting speeds, and convenience of refueling occuring automatically at home while you sleep, just for starters.

2. One thing consumers crave is performance. Show them how electric drive stacks up against gas in 0-30 mph perfromance (the critical portion of commuting performance with off the line starts from red light and stop signs). Nothing in the gas world can touch electric drive off the line. Once they feel that, they’ll be addicted to it. Every time I use a pure gasser (my real world 62 mpg vehicle), I’m appalled at it’s horrible perfromance characteristics off the line, at the bottom and top of each gear and at each shift.

Apr 20th, 2009 (9:57 am)

I think this is very encouraging. We have had a lot of talk that even if GM proceeded on schedule it would only produce 10K cars during the first year of production. Fairly read, this refutes that thesis.

Having said that, betting against a release date is always fairly safe. The fact is that most projects miss their ship dates. To my mind there is way too much harping about GM. Apple never announces a ship date until right before the product is ready (with the exception of the iPhone which missed the ship date by six months even after Apple had moved the date a couple of times). If it — and any other company — did what GM is doing here, 90% of all projects would never hit their ship date. Rather than applauding GM’s effort and transparency, what we see here is a lot of sniping, all to no good effect unless the intent is to never have a company lay out its plans in such detail.

Statik, you’ve actually disappointed me. Calling the guy a “lowbie” is unnecessarily insulting and very much unlike you (it’s not exactly like we are all CEOs of Fortune 50 companies). Plus it’s not accurate. Greg Ceisel is hardly working on the loading dock, and I have always been quite impressed with his interview on GreenMonk (thanks BillR for the cite). It was one of the more informative and in-depth interviews I have heard. If posters here actually listened to it they’d have a better understanding of the economics of E-REVs versus BEVs.

Tag, what can I say. “GM mouth noise”? Et tu?

#30 statik – What you say about BoA. However, I doubt the market is down because of BoA. I don’t really know but my guess is that the down day in more attributable to the Obama Administration’s idea of converting preferred to common in order as a way of avoiding going back to Congress to get more money. Not that the plan is bad — it’s quite ingenious — but what it tells us is that the people who are in a position to know believe the banks are still very sick.

Apr 20th, 2009 (10:04 am)

#50 Electric Vehicle Owner says “One thing consumers crave is performance.”

Presumably this is why there are a million Prius’ on the road. Performance. Performance. Performance.

Edwin Mang

Edwin Mang

Apr 20th, 2009 (10:08 am)

Thank God for wants it makes things go . Needs I have covered but I still have wants that make me work .

Guido

Guido

Apr 20th, 2009 (10:12 am)

Statik @#9 wrote:

In summary:
    “There is a target date. In this program, every hour is scheduled.”
    ———–

You never cease to amaze me …. don’t know if you can make chicken salad out of chicken shit, but you’ve proven time and time again that you can do the opposite ! Are you and “CharlieH” bunkmates ?

JP

JP

Apr 20th, 2009 (10:13 am)

If that is the launch date it looks like Mitsubishi, Nissan, obviously Teslsa, possibly Totota, Hyundai, and BYD would all beat the Volt to market. They really should think about moving the launch sooner if they want to make more of an impact than just another EV hitting the market.

ccombs

ccombs

Apr 20th, 2009 (10:14 am)

#50 I agree. Internal combustion has been optimized to death, but is still clearly inferior to electric. And the gap will only grow. Now if we can just get cheap batteries…

Tagamet

Apr 20th, 2009 (10:15 am)

DonC@51 said in small part:
    …Tag, what can I say. “GM mouth noise”? Et tu?…

LOL, that was just part of MY smoke to set up the “I agree with statik” part.
    You know I’m a GM cheerleader (emphasis on leader)
    Be well,
    Tag

LJGTVWOTR!!********NPNS********Independence (from oil) Day, 2010

Steve

Steve

Apr 20th, 2009 (10:20 am)

#30, #51
    The market is down simply because people are taking profits after the best month long rally in the last 40 years. I had the best month of investing in my lifetime! For example I bought BAC at 3.50 and sold at 10.40 for nice 197% return on my money.

Apr 20th, 2009 (10:28 am)

#56 ccombs Says: Internal combustion has been optimized to death, but is still clearly inferior to electric.
    ————————————————————————————–
    Generally, yes. Given that the compression stroke on one piston works directly against the power stroke of another piston, these types of engines are inherently inefficient. In addition, ICEs require more maintenance.

However, there is still one major advantage of the ICE – it’s liquid hydrocarbon fuel source has the highest energy density, bar far. Like 10-100 times better than batteries. So this is still the best solution for long distance and heavy duty transportation.

noel park

noel park

Apr 20th, 2009 (10:35 am)

Bring it on! I’ve got the money put away. What’s the problem?

k-dawg

k-dawg

Apr 20th, 2009 (10:46 am)

#52 DonC Says:
    April 20th, 2009 at 10:04 am
    #50 Electric Vehicle Owner says “One thing consumers crave is performance.”

==============

Apr 20th, 2009 (10:53 am)

#50 Electric Vehicle Owner Says: 1. Fuel price volatility is even more effective than high fuel price at attention getting, which the media has yet to take advantage of. If you look at only fuel economics, we had no reason to shift from horses to automobiles in the first place.
    ————————————————————————————–
    Fuel price volatility is bad for plug-ins, for 2 reasons:

1. It makes investors VERY reluctant. In order to make plug-ins go mainstream, we will need outside investors to buy into the concept.

2) Volatile fuel prices make consumers less apt to buy a new car of any type.

This is why I support the idea of a minimum oil price. Perhaps around $65/barrel would work. With a set minimum fuel price, it’s much easier for companies and consumers to justify investing in fuel saving measures.

Some have said that oil companies would simply raise their prices to the minimum, but this is not right. Oil is a world commodity. They can’t sell oil to the U.S. for one price and sell it to someone else for less.

They could try to cut output in order to raise world prices, but that rarely works either. It only takes one country to flood the market, but it takes all of them all working together to really cut supply. So while oil exporters can lower prices anytime they want, it’s much harder for them to raise prices. It only takes one country to cash in on higher oil prices by increasing output.

This is why peak oil is such a huge problem. Many oil exporters are over-estimating their reserves so that they can justify exporting more now. When the oil runs out, it’s going to be very traumatic for our economy. All the more reason to set a minimum oil price now..

Apr 20th, 2009 (10:57 am)

If I understand this correctly, it means they will start production around the middle of November 2010 and then deliveries to dealers will follow during the last half of November and the month of December. That is not the same as having a supply in dealer showrooms mid-November. What we don’t yet know is just how many per day they will be able to produce during their initial production run. But still, any Volts in a dealer showroom is better than nothing.

Apr 20th, 2009 (11:04 am)

#61 k-dawg Says: What is the 0-30mph on a Prius? They seem to limp off the line to me. Maybe it’s just the drivers trying to conserve their energy.
    ————————————————————————————–
    The Prius has a 50kW electric motor:

The Volt has a 120kW electric motor.

Big difference.

Also note that the Prius still uses a permanent magnet electric motor, while the Volt uses an induction electric motor. Induction electric motors are smaller, lighter, cheaper, and more efficient than permanent magnet motors of the same power output. The induction motor has much more complicated embedded software algorithms, which increases engineering costs, but not production costs.

Tim

Tim

Apr 20th, 2009 (11:05 am)

Electric Vehicle Owner (#50) said:

“If you look at only fuel economics, we had no reason to shift from horses to automobiles in the first place.”

Rebuttal: HORSE CR@P… everywhere! People thought that cars stank less and were more sanitary than animal poop. Plus gasoline (then a waste product from kerosene manufacturing for home lighting) was cheaper than horse feed and vet bills.

“One thing consumers crave is performance.”

Rebuttal: If that’s the case, what happened to the big blocks and why was the Prius successful and why have hybrid sales now slowed even more than standard cars? (hint: whisper…. gas is too cheap to make more expensive hybrids, E-REVs and limited-range EVs cost effective.)

The stars must realign for the Volt or any EV to be widely accepted. Credit must start flowing again, steady and well paying jobs must be created by supply/demand economics and gas prices need to increase while availability decreases.

I also want my Volt, but it has to make sense economically and not just environmentally or politically.

The most powerful vote we have is with our wallets and it will take a LOT of wallets to make the Volt “main stream”.

Apr 20th, 2009 (11:12 am)

#50 Electric Vehicle Owner Says: 2. One thing consumers crave is performance. Show them how electric drive stacks up against gas in 0-30 mph perfromance (the critical portion of commuting performance with off the line starts from red light and stop signs). Nothing in the gas world can touch electric drive off the line. Once they feel that, they’ll be addicted to it.
    ————————————————————————————–

Here’s a rather humorous video of a small 31 horsepower electric motorcycle racing a Mustang on the drag strip:
    (click on the video labeled “The Drag Strip”)

charlie h

charlie h

Apr 20th, 2009 (11:13 am)

#61, K-Dawg asks, “What is the 0-30mph on a Prius?”

The 0-30 time is quick enough to sell a million of them.

George K

George K

Apr 20th, 2009 (11:17 am)

“The exact date in November is about the middle of the month,”

Well, I, for one, am surprised they are calling about the middle of the month. Usually when a company projects a release month it means 11:59 PM. of the last day.

On the other hand, 15 extra days, times 40,000 @10,000/year is almost 17 mil. extra revenue.

On the other hand, it appears that the rumors of the Volt being behind schedule are “greatly exaggerated”.

=D~~~~

Timaaayyy!!!

Timaaayyy!!!

Apr 20th, 2009 (11:18 am)

Repost from the previous thread:

Off-Topic news:

“GM said Sunday it plans to start selling the plug-in electric hybrid Chevy Volt in China in 2011 after launching the vehicle in the U.S. in late 2010.”

Taking the battle to the source–oh baby!

George K

George K

Apr 20th, 2009 (11:28 am)

#66 charlie h, fyi

This was from Motor Trend re the 2004 Prius. The 2010 will be a little quicker.

Acceleration, sec
    0-30 mph 3.1
    0-40 mph 4.9
    0-50 mph 7.1
    0-60 mph 9.8
    0-70 mph 13.3
    0-80 mph 16.9
    1/4 mile, sec @ mph 17.04 @ 80.83

=D~~~~

Apr 20th, 2009 (11:34 am)

#57 Tag says “You know I’m a GM cheerleader (emphasis on leader)”

#61 k-dawg asks “What is the 0-30mph on a Prius?”

I don’t know but I do know you never want to be behind one. Except that as more people buy them I am seeing some younger drivers actually getting them up to speed in a normal amount of time.

#63 Dave G – The split drive system means the Prius is always in top gear, and it’s hard to accelerate from a standing stop when you’re in top gear.

16falcon

16falcon

Apr 20th, 2009 (11:37 am)

#61 k-dawg Says:
    ======================================================
    With my Ford Escape Hybrid a lead foot off the line just kills the MPG. If I can limp off the line on battery power, which takes a veryyyy light foot, I can maximize the efficiency of the Hybrid technology. Even if the ICE kicks on as I get through the intersection, to get the vehicle moving under battery power really helps maxamize the MPG. I try not to be too gentle if there are people behind me as it torques them off (pun intended). I suspect the Prius owners are doing the same thing. I’m pretty sure the Hybrids do not have anywhere near the torque that the Volt or a pure BEV will have; the pure electric drive should have better times in the 0-30mph run. The 2009 Escape has a 0-60 time of about 9.3 seconds, I couldn’t find a 0-30 time. I think a lead foot in the Volt will probably reduce your chances of getting the 40 mile AER so depending on how long your daily commute may determine how you drive your Volt. 40 mile commute: Hybrid style slow off the line. 20 mile commute: full throttle!

As a side note, my other car is a Mercedes SLK32 AMG with a 0-60 time of 4.8 secs. It’s a blast to drive with a lead foot which I don’t so all the time but it is hard to resist. So my driving styles can be polar opposites depending on which vehicle I’m driving. It will be hard to get rid of the sports car when the Volt (or PHEV or BEV) becomes available, but it will be worth it to really minimize my oil use and carbon footprint (I buy 100% renewable electricity so the Volt will produce no carbon for the first 40 miles).

Tagamet

Apr 20th, 2009 (11:59 am)

DonC re hospitality -

One of the drawbacks of trying to keep things a little light here is that the humor is missed and taken as serious. If you “look to the history” I don’t see myself as particularly rude to our guests but then again, perceptions are pretty slippery sometimes… so maybe I am.
    If so, I apologize.
    Be well,
    Tag

LJGTVWOTR!!********NPNS********Independence (from oil) Day, 2010

CaptJackSparrow

CaptJackSparrow

Apr 20th, 2009 (12:34 pm)

Hey, If I recall, wasn’t the 2010 release only to Fleet/
    unicipalities of some crazy sh|t like that?

Anyway, here’s some news on the PHEV Prius:

12Miles AER. Good enough for grocery runs. My commute is 10miles one way. This might work. Maybe.

I have a question to that john10010022something like that. He’s knowlledgable on Prius. We recently rented one when our car was in the shop and I noticed something weird. You know how in an ICE car you feel the “Creep”? Well, when the Prius was idle with the ICE off, I felt the creep. Now to me, in order for this “Creep” feeling to exist, the car would have to be applying power to the DC motors. John, is this done for driver familiarity so driver still think it’s a normal car? I ask because when at a stop, I (IMHO) think it’s a waste of energy to incurr this. One would think that at a stop no power is applied to the motors to save energy. But that’s just me.

CaptJackSparrow

CaptJackSparrow

Apr 20th, 2009 (12:36 pm)

Hey, If I recall, wasn’t the 2010 release only to Fleet/
    unicipalities of some crazy sh|t like that?

Anyway, here’s some news on the PHEV Prius:
    Google it: green “2010 Prius PHEV to feature 12-mile-plus EV range”

12Miles AER. Good enough for grocery runs. My commute is 10miles one way. This might work , Maybe, but what’s the max mph in electric. .

Tex-Arl

Tex-Arl

Apr 20th, 2009 (12:42 pm)

If they start shipping Nov 15, they will
    have started producing around Sept 15.

Depending on what else is assigned to Hamtramik will determine volume.

If nothing else is there they can produce 60 JPH after a 60-90 day learning curve along with availability of parts.

It will take about five days to ship to all except the left coast.

Apr 20th, 2009 (12:46 pm)

#70 DonC said “Actually, it’s probably me, but asking someone to give an interview and then gratuitously insulting them strikes me as being extremely rude. To some extent Greg Ceisel is an invited guest. Commenting on what he says is one thing. Just denigrating his position is another.”
    —————————————————

16falcon

16falcon

Apr 20th, 2009 (12:51 pm)

#73 CaptJackSparrow Says:

======================================================

My Ford Escape Hybrid does the same thing…I’ve been told it’s in the software to make it familiar for drivers and to ensure they keep their foot on the brake when stopped to prevent rolling if on a slight incline.

George K

George K

Apr 20th, 2009 (1:08 pm)

#73 CaptJackSparrow / 16falcon

In addition, years ago, some drivers in San Francisco were complaining that the car would actually roll backwards at some of the (steep hill) stop signs.

This was, I believe, corrected with the software.

=D~~~~

Apr 20th, 2009 (1:11 pm)

#72 Tag – Yes, the problem of the internets. We don’t have access to all those social cues that lubricate things. Honestly I thought your tongue was in your cheek but I wasn’t sure. I was however fairly sure he wouldn’t know that given he may not follow your posts as CLOSELY as I do! LOL. But no big deal, I just don’t want the posts to make people gun shy about having Lyle interview them. That wouldn’t help anyone.

#75 RB says “On the other hand, maybe Mr Ceisel has a sense of humor and is enjoying the whole thing.”

I dunno. I very much hope you are right. I’m sure he has a thick skin, otherwise he wouldn’t be where he is. Out of curiosity, were you on the receiving end, what part of being called a “lowbie” would you find amusing?

Malamute Wolf

Malamute Wolf

Apr 20th, 2009 (1:13 pm)

#18 Jim I said: I am in Ohio too, and I sure hope so!!!

Awesome! Yeah I sure hope too! but if not, you can bet your cookies that im going to drive to DC or where they will be releasing the volts and taking one home. hehe

also would love to see the voltec system in the new 2010 Buick Lacrosse

Apr 20th, 2009 (1:16 pm)

Thanks, RB. I think DonC has a sense of humor too. He’s just on the cautious side of “snipeism”. Personally, I’m kinda of an anti-snipe too. As they say “Humor is tough“.(g).
    I think that we all agree that this is one of the most CIVIL boards that exist today. If I’m to err, I’d try to err on the civil side too.
    Be well,
    Tag

LJGTVWOTR!!********NPNS********Independence (from oil) Day, 2010

Willy Wanker

Willy Wanker

Apr 20th, 2009 (1:19 pm)

Only “select” dealers will have the Volt in inventory. Not every state will sell the Volt. Get your head out of your #@SSes. Nobody visiting this website will be driving a Volt in 2010. Nobody.

Bloody Hell man, the UK is much more suited for a Volt than you silly american trailer trash. Gidday Mates.

BillR

BillR

Apr 20th, 2009 (1:27 pm)

It looks like GM may have already sold its first 300 Volts in Florida.

noel park

noel park

Apr 20th, 2009 (1:33 pm)

If the price of gas is down when the Volt finally appears (highly doubtful, IMHO) the early adopters will carry it until the next oil spike. I have said before that, when you have the other guy down, do not let him back up. So, if I can buy a Volt at $2/gallon, and do my tiny bit to keep it there, so much the better.

The price of gas has gyrated wildy since the introduction of the Prius but, as pointed out above, they have sold over a million of them. I have lost count of how many times GM sales people have lamented to me over these last years that they do not have something like the Prius to sell.

Someone also said recently that the Obama administration needs the Volt to have any chance of making its goal of 1 million PHEVs by 2015. Right. I believe that they will keep the Volt alive by whatever means necessary as a matter of national economic urgency. Even if it means that they have to jettison every other product in the GM portfolio. Who knows, maybe it will become GM-Volt Corporation!

Apr 20th, 2009 (1:39 pm)

BillR re 300 Fla Volts:
    The article doesn’t say the plugins are Volts. CA is using Priiiii, er Priuses.
    Be well,
    Tag

LJGTVWOTR!!********NPNS********Independence (from oil) Day, 2010

Apr 20th, 2009 (1:45 pm)

noel@83 said in small part:
    “…Who knows, maybe it will become GM-Volt Corporation!…”

OR Volt-USA (given the Govt’s stock).
    Be well,
    Tag

LJGTVWOTR!!********NPNS********Independence (from oil) Day, 2010

Apr 20th, 2009 (1:46 pm)

#84 Tag

Is the plural of Prius “Priuses” or “Priusi”?

Where I am the utility is converting all meters to time of day. I’m not sure if they can be web monitored, probably not out of the gate, but this could probably be added later.

Sam Y

Sam Y

Apr 20th, 2009 (1:50 pm)

#80 Willy Wanker,

Watch your language, please. While I enjoy reading from new posters I’ve never met, yours takes the prize today for being mindless & rude. FYI, I’m a Canadian, not American, and I’m still offended. Plus, read over your post; are you purposely trying to stir something here? I do not expect to get a Volt in 2010, but people in this website who live in NYC or California will get a Volt in 2010, no doubt.

So, whether you agree or disagree with a particular issue, if you cannot contribute constructively, I suggest you keep quiet and say nothing.

Apr 20th, 2009 (1:52 pm)

DonC@86 said:

#84 Tag

Is the plural of Prius “Priuses” or “Priusi”?

**************************************************************************************
    It depends on whether the Prius is fem or masc (I think).
    Fem pl in Latin would be ae and masc ii.
    Lyle would be the Latin wiz here.
    Be well,
    Tag

ArkansasVolt

ArkansasVolt

Apr 20th, 2009 (1:54 pm)

#80 Willy Wanker…

Sounds like you and Guido should be friends.

Apr 20th, 2009 (1:54 pm)

Sam Y and Arkansas re troll post

We try not to feed the trolls. They feed on attention.
    Thanks,
    Tag aka The Hall Monitor (g)

CaptJackSparrow

CaptJackSparrow

Apr 20th, 2009 (2:02 pm)

Trailer trash….?

Hey, I resemble that remark.

CaptJackSparrow

CaptJackSparrow

Apr 20th, 2009 (2:03 pm)

Does anyone else remember that 2010 was not a public release and it was for fleet? Or is it just me?

Apr 20th, 2009 (2:07 pm)

#53 Guido

Lighten up, man. You are getting a little too personal with that stuff. Statik does not deserve talk like that, nor does anyone else. Sometimes saying something off the top of your head is the wrong thing to do. I assume you did not mean it to sound as bad as it did.

David K (CT)

David K (CT)

Apr 20th, 2009 (2:14 pm)

I think we’re ready for Lyle’s test drive review! ;)

Apr 20th, 2009 (2:36 pm)

Statik:

I have heard from a well informed source that can not be named because he is not authorized to comment in this area.

BUT:

He told me that at Disney World, there is an underground series of rooms where they take people who are not being happy at the “Happiest Place On Earth”.

Until you admit that WDW is the best, they will put bugs in the room to scare you, or pour water on your head, or play rap music really loud. And if that doesn’t work, Snow White and her gang of seven dwarfs come into the room and beat you to a pulp. Then you are programmed to sing Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah over and over for the rest of your life!

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!

Apr 20th, 2009 (2:39 pm)

#89 ArkansasVolt says:

“#80 Willy Wanker…

Sounds like you and Guido should be friends.”
    ————————-

Sounds like they both know how chicken shit tastes.

Apr 20th, 2009 (2:41 pm)

#95 Jim I

Cute, real cute. You are right about Tag, too. But, who is the Ying and who is the Yang? Or does it matter?

Apr 20th, 2009 (2:46 pm)

Jim I@93 said in part:
    “…Tag: Don’t ever agree with Statik again! You almost caused a black hole to appear and destroy all we see and know. We depend on you to keep the balance in the universe – Ying and Yang and all that…. Once you go over to the dark side, we are all doomed!”

Sheesh! Talk about pressure lol. I shall henceforth be extremely careful! I guess there ARE things you just cannot kid about! I actually do enjoy being the counter-balance to such an esteemed poster as statik (that part I’m not kidding about) It is admittedly tougher being the light side of the Force though (he’s got all those darn facts to work with).
    Be well,
    Tag
    LJGTVWOTR!!********NPNS********Independence (from oil) Day, 2010

Apr 20th, 2009 (2:49 pm)

Don C #86:

I pulled this interesting tidbit from priusonline.com concerning this very important topic about the plural of Prius:

4th declension neuter adjective. Depending on who you ask, the Latin plural is either “prius” and you change the noun which is being modified to a plural, or the Latin plural is “priores”. (Root of “prius” is “prior”)

Toyota seems to indicate that “Prius” is both singular and plural, like “deer” or “sheep”

Some English speakers tend to like “Priuses” or “Prii”

Or, you could treat like an adjective, and say that you saw “two Prius cars.”

End Of Quote

I am glad we got that cleared up……..

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And no I was not cheating on my favorite blog site. I did a Google for “Plural Of Prius”

Obviously it is a slow day at work for me today!!!

Apr 20th, 2009 (2:49 pm)

#78 DonC said to me, after I said Mr Ceisel might have a sense of humor:
    —————————————————

As I work in a big corporation but far from the senior executive offices (in distance and in rank) somebody calling me a lowbie would be simply telling it like it is. But if somebody said it, I would understand it to be an insider joke, hinting that if a lowbie said whatever it was it might actually be true ( in the ordinary sense of the word), rather than part of some carefully edited grandiose statement from on high. That is, we like our leaders but don’t always take them too seriously, word for word. So, yes, I would find it both clever and amusing.

I’m not trying to read that response into Mr Ceisel’s situation, only recognizing that a sense of humor is undoubtedly valuable to him and others at GM at this particular moment.

charlie h

charlie h

Apr 20th, 2009 (2:52 pm)

#70, DonC, “Thank God! Actually, it’s probably me, but asking someone to give an interview and then gratuitously insulting them strikes me as being extremely rude. To some extent Greg Ceisel is an invited guest. Commenting on what he says is one thing. Just denigrating his position is another.”

Ceisel is a highly paid exec for GM, which is a bankrupt company. He’s got a high level of responsibility for important decisions and is either part of the solution or part of the problem. He’s also part salesperson, part marketer and probably a few other things. If he’s not interested in honest feedback and/or can’t take the heat, he should stay in his office and send some flak from Corporate Communications out to talk in his stead.

Further, Ceisel took questions without actually answering them. How many? When? He’ll mention a month, in a general way, but he offered no numbers at all. Perhaps he should have sent a flak.

Apr 20th, 2009 (2:55 pm)

Yes. More than ready for Lyle’s test drive review!
    Was it FUN to drive?
    How will he rate the Performance?
    What kind of car would he compare it to?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Apr 20th, 2009 (2:56 pm)

N. Reilly

I’ve wondered that too about the Yin and Yang. 50-50 shot at being right….
    Be well,
    Tag
    LJGTVWOTR!!********NPNS********Independence (from oil) Day, 2010

noel park

noel park

Apr 20th, 2009 (2:57 pm)

#85 Tagamet:

“Volt-USA” works for me too. LJGTVWOTR!!

#87 Sam Y, #89 ArkansasVolt, #90 Tagamet:

I dunno, I thought Willy was kinda cute. Plus, it bulks up the number of comments, which is always good.

#93 N Riley:

Ditto. statik would appear to have pretty broad shoulders. I doubt if Guido bothers him much, LOL.

noel park

noel park

Apr 20th, 2009 (3:03 pm)

BTW, the new “Magazine Formerly Known As Autoweek” (“AW”) just arrived. There are two intersting Volt related columns, a very nice driving impression of an early production Cruze, and several other electric car related items. Is there a trend here?

I think that most of this stuff is up at autoweek.com.

Apr 20th, 2009 (3:07 pm)

#104 Noel Park

“Ditto. statik would appear to have pretty broad shoulders. I doubt if Guido bothers him much,”
    ————————–

I don’t “see” Statik as having broad shoulders, but I suspect you are correct about it not bothering him any. I think it bothered me more than it would or did Statik. He may not have very broad shoulders, but things seem to “roll off” him pretty good. I would like to meet Statik and the rest of you “guys” some day. Be nice to sit and talk and put faces and personalities to these comments. Probably would get a few “shocks” from that meeting. LOL.

Bill Marsh

Bill Marsh

Apr 20th, 2009 (3:19 pm)

So how are they going to sell the first ones, lottery?

Apr 20th, 2009 (3:30 pm)

#107 Bill Marsh

You just asked the 64 million dollar question. No one knows, at least outside of a few people at GM. Probably to very select dealers in very select cities.

Apr 20th, 2009 (3:38 pm)

N Riley #97 & Tag #103:

I am a programmer, and we love challanges!

After now reading enough about Yinyang (I apologize for my previous error of using Ying instead of Yin :) ) to almost put me to sleep, here is one deifinition that I think is most applicable.

———-
    According to the earliest comprehensive dictionary of Chinese characters (ca. 100 CE), Xu Shen’s Shuowen jiezi (Explaining Single-component Graphs and Analyzing Compound Characters), yin refers to “a closed door, darkness and the south bank of a river and the north side of a mountain.” Yang refers to “height, brightness and the south side of a mountain.”
    ———-

Now since it is a well accepted rule on this site that Statik represents the dark side, then he is by definition, Yin. So by the process of elimination, that makes Tag, Yang.

Problem solved!

CorvetteGuy #102: Agreed!

Note to GM corporate lurkers: Freedom For Lyle!!! Release Lyle from his non disclusure agreement!! We are bored as h e l l , and we need some real news!!! And how about an updated picture of the countdown clock on the prototype vehicle build status!

Len

Len

Apr 20th, 2009 (3:38 pm)

Here is a interesting article that mentions that GM wants to increase it’s investment in a Chinese joint venture (which it already owns 34% of) by buying out 16% owned by the city of Liuzhou. They would like to complete the transaction before the end of the year. My only question is with whose money? I would hope not the US taxpayers.

The article also mentions that the Chinese have a 1% tax on fuel sippers that have a 1.6 liter engine or less, and up to 40% tax on gas guzzlers. That seems like an approach to get off foreign oil.

J Man

J Man

Apr 20th, 2009 (4:40 pm)

hopefully we will all have jobs to buy one by then.

Apr 20th, 2009 (5:10 pm)

Thanks Jim I
    YANG says:(g)

“Yin (literally the ‘shady place’ or ‘north slope’) is the dark area occluded by the mountain’s bulk, while yang (literally the ‘sunny place’ or ‘south slope’) is the brightly lit portion. As the sun moves across the sky, yin and yang gradually trade places with each other, revealing what was obscured and obscuring what was revealed. Yin is usually characterized as slow, soft, insubstantial, diffuse, cold, wet, and tranquil. It is generally associated with the feminine, birth and generation, and with the night. Yang, by contrast, is characterized as hard, fast, solid, dry, focused, hot, and aggressive. It is associated with masculinity and daytime”

from the Internet, so worth what it cost…..
    WooHoo I’m hot and masculine (heehee)
    Be well
    Yang

chevonly

chevonly

Apr 20th, 2009 (5:19 pm)

Your best bet is to get a Volt in 2010 as by 2011 the U.S. government will be in default and any money you have will be worthless, so at least you will be able to drive it for 6 to 8 months before they declare marshall law.

Dan Petit

Dan Petit

Apr 20th, 2009 (5:21 pm)

#81 Willy Wanker in the UK.

Already someone is fighting for a Volt from the other side of the pond!
    That’s a new thing that has never happened before for this site as far as I know.
    Perhaps there might be some sort of orderly system put in place so that there will not be a lot of folks who would go about indignantly “kicking and screaming” for a Volt, to be able to know when they would be able to realistically get one for themselves.
    I wonder if there will be a need to secretly deliver the Volt to the new owner so that there will not be fights in the showrooms.
    Perhaps Willy has set up an indication that consumer demand will indeed be fierce. (And that other OEM’s need not worry that E-REVs that they would build would not also have a fierce demand as well).
    You might be surprised how well most folks on this site (and visiting this site) will be able to afford a Voltec vehicle, as I am sure most are positioning their finances already in anticipation of 2011.
    (I already have someone who wants to buy my (then) paid off current vehicle which will cover a third of the cost of a Volt if I am able to somehow know when one might become available for me.)
    We must wait and be patient, because the quality must go in before the Chevrolet Volt name goes on. The next 18 months are going to go pretty quick.
    Dan Petit Austin TX.

16falcon

16falcon

Apr 20th, 2009 (5:22 pm)

#84 Tagamet says:
    BillR re 300 Fla Volts:
    The article doesn’t say the plugins are Volts. CA is using Priiiii, er Priuses.
    =====================================================
    They could be Ford’s Plug-In Escape Hybrid too. Ford built 20 copies (I think) last year for research and development in conjunction with Southern California Edison, the electric company. From everything I’ve read, they seem to be performing very well.

Arthur

Arthur

Apr 20th, 2009 (5:35 pm)

This is a bit worrying. The head of GM in Asia Pacific thinks electric cars are overhyped.

Apr 20th, 2009 (5:38 pm)

#70 DonC Says: The split drive system means the Prius is always in top gear, and it’s hard to accelerate from a standing stop when you’re in top gear.
    ————————————————————————————–
    When you drive slowly or stop for a while, the ICE in the Prius turns off, so it’s often just the electric motor that gets you from 0 to 30. This was my experience on the test drive anyway.

With an electric motor, there shouldn’t be any gearing issues. Electric motors have high torque at 0 RPM.

Chia Bush

Chia Bush

Apr 20th, 2009 (5:53 pm)

#116 Arthur

My take is that the GM guy was talking about BYD.

john1701a

john1701a

Apr 20th, 2009 (6:05 pm)

The Prius has a 50kW electric motor.
    ___________________________

Prius had that, but not anymore.

60kW is now what’s coming off the production line.

Apr 20th, 2009 (6:11 pm)

#73 CaptJackSparrow Says: We recently rented [a Prius] when our car was in the shop and I noticed something weird. You know how in an ICE car you feel the “Creep”? Well, when the Prius was idle with the ICE off, I felt the creep. Now to me, in order for this “Creep” feeling to exist, the car would have to be applying power to the DC motors… I (IMHO) think it’s a waste of energy to incurr this.
    ————————————————————————————–
    This is an interesting point. GM has said they want the Volt to behave like a normal car, so this would apply to EREVs as well.

I have no idea how the software works, but it seems you could control this efficiently by using the brake pedal pressure to control “creep” power to the electric motor. In other words, firm pressure on the brake pedal would shut power to the electric motor completely, but light pressure on the brake may apply small amounts of power to the electric motor and let off on the actual braking at the wheels to provide the familiar creep, and to keep the car from rolling backward on uphill stops.

john1701a

john1701a

Apr 20th, 2009 (6:12 pm)

_____________________________

Yup, that does indeed happen. In fact, you can see the energy flow it on the Multi-Display. It’s there to mimic traditional automatic transmission behavior… which comes in rather handy on hills.

William Wanker

William Wanker

Apr 20th, 2009 (6:16 pm)

You Amerikans are so funny. Don’t get your panties in a bunch.
    Your Volt is nice car but is a better fit in the UK than the USA.

Apr 20th, 2009 (6:16 pm)

#119 john1701a Says: 60kW is now what’s coming off the production line. Makes you wonder how often outdated information like that will be posted with the 2010 now the current model.
    ————————————————————————————–
    The toyota site is still showing 50kW:
    Electric Motor Power output
    67 hp @ 1200-1540 rpm (50 kW @ 1200-1540 rpm)

Apr 20th, 2009 (6:18 pm)

#122 William Wanker Says: You Amerikans are so funny. Don’t get your panties in a bunch. Your Volt is nice car but is a better fit in the UK than the USA. The U.S. has no infrastructure in place to support the Volt. Also the Volt numbers are so small i cannot begin to get randy for it.
    ————————————————————————————–
    Have another beer!

john1701a

john1701a

Apr 20th, 2009 (6:19 pm)

As for the topic at hand, I wish GM the same as Ford. I want them to be victims of their own success… creating such a popular new technology that they are forced to scale back traditional production due to overwhelming demand.

However, I believe the current approach by those enthusiasts who shun the FULL hybrids as counter-productive to that success.

Apr 20th, 2009 (6:19 pm)

GM, unshackle Lyle’s lips! We want to hear his review of the mule. I expect Lyle to be given monthly test drives for future Volt system reviews all the way to November of 2010. Many of us here have over $20,000 of your money waiting to be spent. Give us a product to buy.

BTW: Was able to buy another 900 shares of lithium battery stock today on a 4% pull back. Will acquire 1000 more shares on Tuesday with an additional 2% dip. I don’t see the batteries retreating more than this. Also looking at some very attractive heavy construction stock which will reap some of the injected 44 billion Obama dollars.

=D~

Eliezer

Eliezer

Apr 20th, 2009 (6:21 pm)

Great news… and that stellar Volt photo has got me drooling again…

john1701a

john1701a

Apr 20th, 2009 (6:21 pm)

The toyota site is still showing 50kW.
    ____________________________

Like I said, outdated information.

john1701a

john1701a

Apr 20th, 2009 (6:32 pm)

____________________

Oops. Missed that second comment…

You are correct. No power is applied. The creep is only activated if the brake isn’t depressed all the way. But it’s not like a “riding the clutch” situation (since there is nothing to engage). The system knows whether or not it’s in motion and responds acccordingly… basically applying only enough power to prevent rollback until you lift your foot beyond a certain threshold.

noel park

noel park

Apr 20th, 2009 (6:39 pm)

#106 N Riley:

Well how about thick skinned then? As Horace Rumpole so famously said, “During my long years at the bar, I have had to develop the hide of a rhinocerous.” I think that it’s also required to be a blogger for any length of time.

Maybe we’ll all meet someday at another “Volt Nation”. I’m sure that there would be some surprises, LOL.

#124 Dave G:

Always good advice. I believe I will.

Apr 20th, 2009 (6:48 pm)

#129 john1701a Says: The creep is only activated if the brake isn’t depressed all the way. But it’s not like a “riding the clutch” situation (since there is nothing to engage). The system knows whether or not it’s in motion and responds accordingly… basically applying only enough power to prevent rollback until you lift your foot beyond a certain threshold.
    ————————————————————————————–
    That’s what I suspected. Thanks for the confirmation!

Apr 20th, 2009 (6:53 pm)

As FYI,

Did not make it to Epcot today, lol. Wife decided that it might rain (which it did…for about a minute and a half, lol). Epcot gets moved to thurs and MAgic Kindom tomorrow, hehe.

I still ended up hitting up Universal/Islands of Adventure in the afternoon….so not a total loss. Although my ears were on fire from the site here, geesh.

As for Guido, I already said my piece to him before about saying things in a way to not offend other people on the board when he ‘disagrees’ with me…didn’t work so much. Not much I can do about it…I try to just ignore them (or at least not respond and inflame them further)

Apr 20th, 2009 (7:07 pm)

#36 Dave K said :
    April 20th, 2009 at 8:18 am

———————————–
    # 50 DonC said:
    April 20th, 2009 at 9:57 am

“statik – What you say about BoA. However, I doubt the market is down because of BoA. I don’t really know but my guess is that the down day in more attributable to the Obama Administration’s idea of converting preferred to common in order as a way of avoiding going back to Congress to get more money. Not that the plan is bad — it’s quite ingenious — but what it tells us is that the people who are in a position to know believe the banks are still very sick.”
    ———————

I don’t know, a mix of both I think. BoA certainly was a pretty big drag.

I’m pretty sure todays BoA was not good news….generally share prices don’t drop 24% in one day on good news, hehe.

#50 Donc: re: Ceisel being a ‘lowbie’
    —I meant he is a lowbie in the world of getting to make big announcements like release dates and production capacity. Wasn’t trying to be offensive to him….I just meant he is no CEO, and in relation to the CEO….everyone is a ‘lowbie’ sort to speak…so even if he knows, he ain’t telling.

/apologies to Mr.Ceisel if he is reading and took offense

LauraM

LauraM

Apr 20th, 2009 (7:25 pm)

#110 Len

My guess is that GM is using profits from its Chinese division. If they brought the money back here, they’d have to pay taxes on it. Personally, I’m not too happy about it considering they’re on taxpayer support, but it’s probably a good move investment-wise. But I’m shocked that the Chinese Government is allowing it.

#116 Arthur

I agree with Chia Bush. He’s putting down BYD in favor of the Volt.. He mentions battery life, range, and recharging. Three reasons to pick the Volt instead of a BEV.

guido

guido

Apr 20th, 2009 (8:09 pm)

#104 Noel Park

————————–

———–
    It shocks me that anyone would defend Statik’s incessant whining and carping, other than perhaps Charlie H ( who clearly is a Toyota shill – probably sells them ). I don’t mind honest, constructive criticism, but I strongly dislike those who constantly try and tear things down. That being said, you are as welcomed to your opinions as I am to mine. I’ve worked in the auto industry for almost 30 years now ( as a supplier ), and I’m proud as hell of the work this industry has done – especially with the UAW strapped around it’s ankle like a ball-and-shackle. Yep, mistakes have been made, but the US Auto industry has stood it’s ground and fought the good fight – and the Volt is strong testimony to that fact.

So easy to tear things down, and Statik takes many, many cheap shots. Then he whines like a …… when he gets called out on them. Better than Charlie H, I suppose, who throws out bizzarre remarks and runs and hides. Defend them if you wish – it is your perogative – but why ?

Apr 20th, 2009 (8:13 pm)

#133 statik,

“…share prices don’t drop 24% in one day on good news…”

Typical bear view point. The U.S.A. will see a 30% rise from the S&P low of 667 no problem. We have a very good Commander In Chief who is addressing problems one by one. This was the main disappointment with GWB. He just didn’t get anything done except whip the FED into lowering interest rates to 1/4 %. So the Market wouldn’t cave on his watch. And increase the fine American boots on the ground in his oil war. Partner Oily Dick (pellet spray) Halliburton sure helped We The People as well.

When GWB was asked if the $4 a gallon gasoline price was hurting the American people. He replied, “I didn’t realize it was that high”. When GWB was asked about his close affiliation to oil companies and specifically West Texas oil. He replied, “You can’t get close enough to them”.

To conclude, once we start touching S&P 1000 the burnt and timid money managers will buy in to this “fools rally”. China is picking up steam. Battery manufacturing and cleaner air are the major concerns there. Watch ABAT and EEE. Both will double from the current price. Invest and reap. I have another clear double. Not mentioning this one until it’s acquired.

=D~

terryk

terryk

Apr 20th, 2009 (8:57 pm)

My guess is a couple hundred tops in Nov.

Lev

Lev

Apr 20th, 2009 (9:30 pm)

Post 9 and 20 had me in stitches. Nice to know you guys have a sense of humor so early in the morning.

statik

Apr 20th, 2009 (10:52 pm)

#133 statik said “…share prices don’t drop 24% in one day on good news…”

#127 Dave K said:”Typical bear view point. The U.S.A. will see a 30% rise from the S&P low of 667 no problem.
    —————————————-

Yes, I agree with you. Most bears probably see a -24% one day drop as a sign the news was bad…probably most bulls do too.

As for the “US seeing a 30% rise from 667″…it was there yesturday, thats only 867, not sure why you had a conclusion with 1,000 on the S&P, thats a 50% rise from 667. I’m guessing that is maybe what you were meaning to say? Maybe doing the math in reverse?

I do agree the US will see 1,000 in the S&P…just probably not as soon as you. (=

Anywhoo, have a good night. Disney in the AM…hopefully it doesn’t rain like it seems to be everywhere else in NA today, lol.

/come to the dark side Tag

Lurtz

Lurtz

Apr 20th, 2009 (11:23 pm)

…not one mention of the news about Chrysler turning down a $750 million federal loan, and instead borrowing under more onerous terms from private lenders?

What, I thought Uncle Timmy Geithner was just giving money away?

[insert your kooky Ron Paulian / Ayn Randian nonsensical and utterly un-selfaware responses about the infallibility of capitalism here]

Apr 20th, 2009 (11:49 pm)

140 statik,

You’re mixing apples and oranges.

I said beating expectations was a good sign. Not, a 24% drop being a good sign. B of A could have come out with numbers that were short of expectation.

I mentioned a 30% rise in the S & P. I am talking a future number of 867. Which, I believe, is to be followed by an S & P 1000.

If you are betting on a Market decline then good luck to you. I see upside ahead. Watch the two stocks listed in post 137.

=D~

Arthur

Arthur

Apr 21st, 2009 (2:07 am)

Further to my comment at #117 the newspaper article was either lazy or deliberately misleading journalism. The journalist did not make clear what the GM guy was actually saying about a pure EV – not electric cars in general. The fact that the Chinese are vigorously pursuing renewable energy was also not mentioned in the throwaway at the end about their fossil fuel power stations.

We have so many articles like this, opinion dressed up as fact under a misleading headline, in the UK press these days. EVs are a highly political topic and therefore we can expect a lot of this rubbish often financed by the bad guys (Big Oil). Only in the blogosphere can such shoddy journalism be challenged. The trouble is a lot of people still have their opinions formed by the main stream media and it means we all have to work harder to dispel the myths.

Maybe somebody should come out with an international star rating scheme for newspapers to guide us on what to buy and read. A bit like bonds. Maybe factors such as objectivity, truthfulness, accuracy, investigative zeal could be the basis of it as rated by the public.

dental lab vibrator

dental lab vibrator

Apr 21st, 2009 (3:10 am)

Just happened upon your site today. Very interesting, I learned some interesting things. Vance

Apr 21st, 2009 (6:40 am)

#142 Dave K said:

=D~
    =======================

Gotcha.

No, I’m not betting any declines. I’m still same old same old. 100% cash/gov’t securities/munis etc. Because I missed all ‘this’ I really don’t feel the need to gamble right now…I’ll take the 4-5% on the sidelines and be happy, lol.

I’m not going to look to sneak in at the bottom. Before I get back in with any ‘gusto’ (the odd time I play a option or a small position to ‘amuse’ myself (I always keep 95%+ out though)…boring doing nothing for so long) I need to see housing prices stabilize and unemployment tick the other way. I realize I will miss the first 25% or so of the rally when it comes…but I took none of the hit going down and I don’t need to chase it.

That being said I’ll probably still try to play declines time to time…maybe even a pop or two.

Side note: to N RIley, noel, RB, tag, etc. Even if GM won’t hook us up with a Volt Nation2, we should have a get together…maybe at one of next year’s autoshows, they seem to be the place to do such things. I agree it would be nice to put faces to some ‘like minded people’

/Tag has really been playing up his stunning good looks of late. (=

charlie h

charlie h

Apr 21st, 2009 (9:43 am)

#136, Guido, “It shocks me that anyone would defend Statik’s incessant whining and carping, other than perhaps Charlie H ( who clearly is a Toyota shill – probably sells them ).”

Sometimes, reality is sooo unpopular here. Statik’s crime is that he so often brings numbers to a hype fight.

Chia Bush

Chia Bush

Apr 21st, 2009 (10:11 am)

#116 and #135

Ellaboration:

“General Motors Asia Pacific president Nick Reilly, however, expressed reservations about the current level of technology being offered by BYD and other Chinese car makers, such as Chery.

“I think we ought to be very serious about considering Chinese companies as potential competitors in battery and electric vehicles,” Reilly told a news briefing.

“But from what we?ve seen so far the technology is not that advanced in terms of things like battery life, range and recharging.”

However, he said the technology could spread quickly, especially if backed by the right government incentives.

“China may be the country that leads the switch to electric vehicles because there is a significant need in Chinese cities for small electric vehicles… you could see growth quite fast, maybe faster than other places in the world,” he told reporters.”

Apr 21st, 2009 (11:29 am)

#145 Statik

“/Tag has really been playing up his stunning good looks of late. (=”
    ————————

I don’t know about Tag’s looks, but I know that when it comes to looks all I have is looks. Good, bad or ugly, it is just looks.

See ya’ll at some auto show or a Volt Nation event. It would be interesting if not down right funny.

Apr 21st, 2009 (5:12 pm)

Skip the VOLT for now. I want that craftsman design house!

Jim in AR

Jim in AR

Apr 28th, 2009 (11:30 am)

“I asked him whether GM will begin to ship Volts to dealers closer to November 1st or November 3Oth.” Ha! Ha! Ha!

151. [...] Terry Rhadigan, a Chevrolet spokesman, said the Volt is “absolutely on target and that will not change. It is as high a priority as we have in this company. We will meet the deadlines we have set out.” G.M. has said that the launch date will be in November of next year. [...]

Paul Solger

Paul Solger

Aug 28th, 2009 (11:17 pm)

Funny how the EV 1 was pulled of the road in California (500 or 5000) leased to people shortly after George W stole the 2000 election, What the film “Who Killed the Electric Car?” and now right after he’s gone !
    Rather sickening really… At the time there were about 25 thousand back orders for the EV 1, all the test versions were smashed and dumped in landfills… Let’s hope Exxon Mobil doesn’t buy the patten for the volt’s system witch they did with the EV 1 !!! Putting 40 years of
    hard work by the couple that developed it out of reach to anyone… When will The people of this country wake up to the fact that we are no free but living under a Totalitarian government !!! Just like every other since the first hunter gathers started living in one place… I’m to tiered to explain at length… C Ya

MIKE MITT

MIKE MITT

Apr 8th, 2010 (8:16 am)

Had an opportunity to look at the Volt at the NY Auto Show yesterday. Looks nice, couldn’t get within ten feet to get a closer look or actually sit in it. I’m really excited and plan to buy something electric, turn in the current Honda. Nissan has an electric car also. I was referred from one person to the next, after 3 talking heads I couldn’t get someone to give the complete spin on the car. GM must get it together, we now own you. One of the world’s biggest venues and still bla, bla, bla.

Super CANUCK

Super CANUCK

Apr 9th, 2010 (12:59 pm)

Hey BillR Canadians want a Volt as well! So I hope that 50.000 of that first year”s production are coming north.