Mar 25

GM’s Response to the GM-Volt.com First Chevy Volt to be Built Post and Comments

On this intriguing day, GM spokesperson Rob Peterson decided to write his own response to my last post about the first Volt Integration vehicle being built June. He both wanted to clarify it a little and respond to some of your comments. He also wanted to share with us the actual countdown clock on the wall of Volt lead engineer Andrew Farah, showing the number of days until the first genuine Chevy Volt build begins (shown above).

Feel free to tell him what you think.

———————————–

The following is from Rob Peterson, Manager of Electric Vehicle Communications at GM:

Hello,

I just wanted to make a quick correction to Lyle’s story – builds of the first Volt integration vehicles will BEGIN on June 1 and be completed soon afterward. Importantly, the change shouldn’t impact Andrew Farah’s goal to be driving vehicles on July 4th. Speaking of Andrew, I’ve included a photo of his countdown clock hanging in his office below (Note: Start of Build-GA, indicates the time Andrew expects the General Assembly area of our pre-production operations to begin building the vehicles). No question, it’s an exciting time for the team as the journey that began on January 8, 2007 is starting to come together. There is still lots of work to do, but we’ve made tremendous progress to date.

I don’t often get a chance to engage in the dialogue, so I’ll also answer a few questions from posters as well:

#11 Solo:

You’re absolutely correct; some of these cars will be crashed much like we’ve done with the engineering development mules already. This is standard for any vehicle program and a significant differentiator between a production program and a fleet or demo program.

#23 RamZ

Doubling up on DonC’s response, building a car for the masses is a complex process that involves meeting government regulations and consumer expectations as well as tremendous talent and even a little good fortune to pull it all off. Building a car at the same time the technology is being developed, like the Volt, only adds to the complexity. We’ve tried to be transparent about the development of the vehicle so the public understands the challenges, but also to highlight the effort and skills of all the people who are working on the development of the Volt.

#24 Statik

Glad to read you’re pleased with this progress, but I hope you’re not going soft on us. Your comments keep the dialogue “real.” There is one common thread amongst all heros…they all need a villain. This isn’t to say you’re a villain, but candid feedback keeps the dialogue relevant. (I suspect I’ll catch some flak for even hinting that the Volt could be a “hero,” but that doesn’t change my feeling that this is an important vehicle for GM and the industry.)

This entry was posted on Wednesday, March 25th, 2009 at 1:49 pm and is filed under Feedback to GM, Production. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

Mar 25th, 2009 (1:55 pm)

What’s that humming noise? Oh, it’s a Volt driving by.

Jim Rowland

Jim Rowland

Mar 25th, 2009 (2:03 pm)

July 4th, let the party start with lots of Volts!!!!
    This is great…a production date. Thanks Lyle and Rob.
    Go Volt!!

Mar 25th, 2009 (2:07 pm)

Statik the villain… Hmmm… all sorts of thoughts come to mind…

Mar 25th, 2009 (2:08 pm)

Where’s TALL PALL when we need him?

Seriously: You guys really do read this blog …

Mike-o-Matic

Mike-o-Matic

Mar 25th, 2009 (2:12 pm)

No, no, it’s true, Statik *is* the villain.

… I kid, I kid!! ;-)

In fact, I find myself taking the “Statik-like” position in discussions at work, more often than not. Blind faith ain’t such a great thing either, so a devils’ advocate is healthy a lot of the time.

Mar 25th, 2009 (2:14 pm)

Rob, Thank you for taking the time to climb out on that limb. Entrepreneurial, deadline meeting and now taking big risks in the public eye, Buick has the highest quality ratings. If that’s the new GM I like it. And now for the bad news stay tuned…

Dave B

Dave B

Mar 25th, 2009 (2:14 pm)

Congrats to the Volt team. It gives many Americans hope that we have finally got a shot at a true EV…and independence to oil to boot. How long has that countdown clock been hanging on the wall…?

Kent

Kent

Mar 25th, 2009 (2:15 pm)

Great to see that GM is monitoring this site. Now I only hope that GM will use “OUR” waiting list!!

MarkinWI

MarkinWI

Mar 25th, 2009 (2:22 pm)

Wow! I was not expecting a direct post. Next step: direct post with direct info. Come back again soon Rob!

Gary

Gary

Mar 25th, 2009 (2:22 pm)

Maybe someone can set up a public webcam pointing at the countdown clock? :-)

FME III

FME III

Mar 25th, 2009 (2:25 pm)

I notice that no mention was made of our repeated request that Lyle get a drive….

How about reponding to THAT?

Johnny

Johnny

Mar 25th, 2009 (2:25 pm)

#8 Kent

A company could never use a “waiting list” compiled from a thrid party blog unaffiliated with their company. The legal considerations alone make this impossible. I think everyone realizes that list is for entertainment purposes only.

David K (CT)

David K (CT)

Mar 25th, 2009 (2:26 pm)

Whoo Hoo!

I’ll take mine in BLUE!

Jason M. Hendler

Jason M. Hendler

Mar 25th, 2009 (2:27 pm)

Lyle,

It’s fantastic to hear from Rob Peterson, and I am so glad that this forum is giving such great encouragement to the Volt Team. They deserve all the accolades they get for one of the most important development programs to happen this century (others being the Virgin Galactic spacecraft, Nanosolars thin film panels, etc.).

I truly hope the team is enjoying their time on this program, and hope the skills they learn are applied to future programs at GM or whereever they end up going in their careers. The world needs people who understand iterative development programs with multi-thread development efforts.

Rob is right that every forum needs a devil’s advocate sounding alarms – it keeps us all on our toes.

Tagamet

Tagamet

Mar 25th, 2009 (2:33 pm)

If you can, Lyle, can you put a countdown clock echoing that oner right on the site? I know they are available, I just don’t know if your site is set up to have one.
    And thanks again to Mr. Peterson for the encouragement.
    Be well,
    Tag
    PS In the Yin Yang symbol, which one is black?
    LJGTVWOTR!!**********NPNS**********Independence Day ride for Lyle!

Schmeltz

Schmeltz

Mar 25th, 2009 (2:35 pm)

Wow…I I guess they really DO read our posts. That’s kind of scary considering the barrage of insults that fly around here from time to time. Hope the folks at GM are thick skinned.

GM: kudos for the good work done so far! keep it up!

Tex-Arl

Tex-Arl

Mar 25th, 2009 (2:38 pm)

Being an old retired Supt of Industrial Eng. with GM, I assume the prototype General Assembly is still in Warren. At one time it was in Flint next to Chev.

The body shop in the assembly plant is probably already under construction. Some of what is learned while building the Prototype units will be incorporated.

Probably about Jan. will start some Pre-production units in the assembly plant where they run a couple of gaps (Spaces) , a unit with a couple more gaps until 100 + have been built. Quite a few body in white units will also be built.

I would suspect around July 1, production units on a long learning curve will start.

I hope Lyle gets one of the first units because he has performed a very unselfish valuable service for GM and the USA.

Tagamet

Tagamet

Mar 25th, 2009 (2:40 pm)

Hmmmmm, 7/4/2009 Voltnation II?
    Tag

Dwayne

Dwayne

Mar 25th, 2009 (2:44 pm)

I think we should have 4 of July celebration in Detroit. Theme: GM Volt – as American as Apple Pie!!!

Zach

Zach

Mar 25th, 2009 (2:46 pm)

July 4th? lol. I like it!

4th of July: United Stated (American) Independence Day
    Chevy: An American Revolution

David K (CT)

David K (CT)

Mar 25th, 2009 (2:48 pm)

#20 Zach

That’s “An American E-REVolution.”

KUD

KUD

Mar 25th, 2009 (2:49 pm)

July 4th Independence Day — First salvo to get us of Foreign OIL .

=D~~

TALLPALL

TALLPALL

Mar 25th, 2009 (2:52 pm)

Yes this is great. I am excited.

I am still here. I love reading all of your posts. I am still sulking about the sell out of my countdown. Boo-Hoo

demetrius

demetrius

Mar 25th, 2009 (2:55 pm)

The Volt is for real. There is no turning back.

This dialogue with the Volt team and this blog is unprecedented in the history of automobile development and I am truly getting addicted to this site.

The news has been slow coming since the GM troubles but now it looks like things are speeding up.

Good luck GM.

The volt will be my first GM product.

mikeinatl.

mikeinatl.

Mar 25th, 2009 (2:56 pm)

#21 David.

Like it a lot.

Looks like the headline for a major ad campaign.

Mar 25th, 2009 (2:58 pm)

Now that we know that GM really reads the entries on this site, we need to convince them that the first 10K units should go to the people here that would be perfect as first adopters. Forget the movie stars and the politicians – Sell them to Real American Revolution Chevy Buyers!!!!

Go GM! – Go GM Volt Team!!!

Congratulations on what you have accomplished!

We can’t wait to be driving the finished product.

:-)

john1701a

john1701a

Mar 25th, 2009 (3:00 pm)

On this intriguing day
    _________________________

The day the embargo was lifted on the 2010 Prius, when those who got test-drive opportunities could finally publish their experiences.

Data sharing begins today for the 2010 Prius. When the countdown clock for Volt reaches zero, we expect the same.

All the hype about Volt must finally be supported with actual data. Not delivering means no merit will be earned. The clock is ticking.

SMTD

Mike-o-Matic

Mike-o-Matic

Mar 25th, 2009 (3:01 pm)

@21 David K,

>> That’s “An American E-REVolution.”

That’s inspired! And a natural extension to their current campaigns! Ties it all together very nicely.

If they don’t steal that slogan from ya, they’re nuts!

Hard to believe the excitement could get any more elevated amongst this crowd, but to me, it seems it’s definitely doing that!
    GO GM, GO VOLT!!

Guy Incognito

Guy Incognito

Mar 25th, 2009 (3:08 pm)

29.
    Guy Incognito Says:
    March 25th, 2009 at 3:08 pm

Advertise
    Advertise
    Advertise

You can’t go wrong with advertising
    Worse that could happen with advertising is you’ll sell out of product

=D~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

JSTEW

JSTEW

Mar 25th, 2009 (3:09 pm)

Tim H posted the following in the section on the announcement of the June deadline. I would like to take exception to his claim that nothing has changed in the field of or application of solar photovoltaics since 1970.

He says: “The reality is nothing has changed since 1970. If the problem could not be solved in 40 years, there is room for some skepticism about whether it is solvable.

Falsely optimistic claims for solar are bad for America’s future, because the deflect attention from a proven and cost effective solution, nuclear power.”

I agree that nuclear is proven, but as long as NIMBY rules, cost effective may be a tougher sell.

As a counter weight to his assertion I recommend that the following references be consulted. They tell quite a different story. On top of that I’ll ask you uns to consider which element is easier to recover, handle, and fabricate: silicon or uranium? And Tim, please don’t take me to task over the huge difference in energy density, I’m well and truly aware of that. Both methods, and others, are needed along with the proposed “smart grid.” If we are to be freed from a significant proportion of our dependance on reduced carbon sources.

This book by John Perlin is especially relevant and a fun, informative read:

Then there are grass roots efforts like this one near where I live in PA:

Even though it’s only Wikipedia this is a good summary of where we are in the first decade of the 21st century.

Finally take a look at what British Petroleum is up to:

Remember that NPNS does not stipulate where the terminal male plug must go. It has been clear from the very beginnings of the posts on this blog that there are a whole lot of us who have big garage roofs crying out to bring us the next 40 miles in our Chevrolet Volt just utilizing that great fusion reactor in the sky.

old man

old man

Mar 25th, 2009 (3:10 pm)

I was sure GM was reading this site from some of the earlier post.

I am equally certain that nearly, if not all of the other automobile manufactures read this site daily. Some hopeing for a set back to occur and others to spur on their on developement team.

I look forward to GM’s continued partisipation here and their success at building MY/OUR VOLTS.

benson

benson

Mar 25th, 2009 (3:15 pm)

Lyle,

I”m thinking a picture of “Snidely Whiplash” from the Dudley Do-right cartoons might be apropos next to the Statik paragraph :)

Thanks for the getting the word out. I understand it’s a labor of love, but thanks for the efforts just the same.

k-dawg

k-dawg

Mar 25th, 2009 (3:17 pm)

I’d like to hear more about who’s sourcing the individual components of the Volt Ver 1.0. I know that we know some of them, but there’s a lot of components. GM needs to put up more detailed info on a website, i’m talking a lot more information than hovering over a picture and having the word “Battery Pack” light up.

I’d also like more details about the information screens and what data is available, and is it configurable. Why not even have a website of a demo screen just running all the time with a full dashboard, so that everyone can “play with the buttons”. You could get free feedback even before building the integration vehicle.

Just some thoughts in case any GM spokespeople are reading.

Mar 25th, 2009 (3:17 pm)

As I said for the previous thread
    Great to have a specific projected date.
    GM moved the goal posts, but not too much, and it clarification of what is projected for when is very helpful. Thank you.

Can we get a follow-up on June 2 and on July 5? It’s good of Mr Peterson to tell us that the change shouldn’t impact Andrew Farah’s goal to be driving vehicles on July 4th, and it will be even better to hear (on July 5) that it didn’t affect it.

David K (CT)

David K (CT)

Mar 25th, 2009 (3:19 pm)

#28 Mike-o-Matic

I really like the E-REVolution thing as well, but I certainly can’t take credit for it.

I’m pretty sure it’s been around for quite some time.

noel park

noel park

Mar 25th, 2009 (3:19 pm)

Very encouraging. Thank you Mr. Peterson.

I think that a lot of what might be seen as negative or insulting comments here are more like venting of extreme frustration that, even as this engineering tour de force goes forward, the parent company is fighting for its life. Some days it is just very difficult to see a good outcome.

Even so, clearly the best thing for our country would be for our auto industry to survive and prosper, and for the Volt to become the runaway best seller that we know it can be. God send that it shall be true.

Mar 25th, 2009 (3:22 pm)

#26 Jim says Even GM knows that statik is the villain………….. I would assume his chances of getting a Volt are pretty slim – HAHAHAHA!!!!
    ———————————-

On the other hand they might put Volt #2 on a truck and send it up to him. He talks a lot :) and word of mouth is incredibly valuable. And, however pointed his criticisms, he is a true supporter with money.

Paul L

Paul L

Mar 25th, 2009 (3:24 pm)

Let’s have a big party at GM headquarters next year then we can all drive home in Volts.

demetrius

demetrius

Mar 25th, 2009 (3:32 pm)

So GM insiders read and follow this site-well let me put this as clearly as possible:

Countdown clock for when Lyle gets his first volt test drive.

Just a thought…

Mar 25th, 2009 (3:35 pm)

Congratulations Lyle. Your site is making history!

This is an intriguing day. You have to *love* the clock. But if I had one of those things hanging in my office I’d have ulcers. That clock is not for the faint of heart. But it does make things seem more real.

Statik, I think he’s calling you a villain even though he’s not! Ba ha ha ha ha. Actually I think he’s saying that a doubting Thomas can play an appropriate and constructive role. That’s true just so long as the doubting Thomas doesn’t snag “my” Volt. :-)

PhotoZel

PhotoZel

Mar 25th, 2009 (3:38 pm)

I can’t wait!

Independence Day (from foreign oil) !!!!!!!

Join the E-REVolution!

NPNS!

GLV

GLV

Mar 25th, 2009 (3:39 pm)

It’s truly inspiring that we are starting to get direct feedback to this blog from GM people responsible for the Volt program. I urge Mr. Peterson to spread the word within the Volt ranks and encourage others like him to participate directly in the open forum we call GM-Volt.com.

I have read many suggestions here in these posts that I personally have thought were great ideas and should be considered directly by GM. The exchange of ideas could be a blessing for both groups.

Let’s Just Get The Volt’s Wheels On The Road…

Mar 25th, 2009 (3:45 pm)

Tex-Arl 17 “I would think they would build 80 to 100 of these units. They will all be completely VOLT. Some will go to the assembly plant for teardown and rebuild. Some will be crashed. All will be crushed eventually.”
    _______________________

I think one would fit nicely in GM’s “Heritage Collection,” ( http://images.businessweek.com/ss/09/01/0108_gm_auction/index.htm ) there should be some space in there.

“General Motors is cleaning out the attic to sell some stuff at the auction house to raise some much needed cash.

Around 250 vehicles from GM’s “Heritage Collection,” will be auctioned by Barrett-Jackson, with the first lots going on Jan. 13 in Scottsdale, Ariz., and the second hitting the block in April in West Palm Beach, Fla.”

I think one would also fit nicely somewhere in the Smithsonian transportation collection. ( http://americanhistory.si.edu/collections/subject_detail.cfm?key=32&colkey=31 )

Unni

Unni

Mar 25th, 2009 (3:45 pm)

Great !! so finally volt is happening .

Off topic :

Looks Volt is hitting another issue :
    =========
    The issue in many European countries is that most people do not have access to an external outlet. Without an external outlet to recharge the battery, the vehicle will be forced to use the gas engine to recharge the battery and run the electric motor. Without the benefit of the all-electric 64 kilometers, the emissions levels will increase.
    =========
    So they don’t need a big battery, they need only a battery which can get charge from regeneration and buffer. A low end offering with 10 mile battery and plug-in (if needed ). Yes, It sounds Cruze Erev may happen as a requirement. – 10 mile battery , $17K and a 150+mpg ( sorry 96 already hit by Prius, not next target need to be 150 ).

Mar 25th, 2009 (3:51 pm)

When this clock winds down it will put the Netlook clock on Lyles home page 63 days closer to the Volt release! Woo Hoo!

LJGTVWOTR

Big Brother

Big Brother

Mar 25th, 2009 (3:51 pm)

Big Brother is watching.
    Better watch what you says, else the Volt may not show up in your region. (hint)

ThombDbhomb

ThombDbhomb

Mar 25th, 2009 (3:52 pm)

Mr. Peterson, I hope you don’t get in trouble for reading blogs at work.

ThombDbhomb

ThombDbhomb

Mar 25th, 2009 (3:55 pm)

watching your behaviors and taking note

Mar 25th, 2009 (3:56 pm)

Statik where is the reverse love? GM hasn’t let us peek at the critical path, but none of the problems so far seemed to impact what would be assumed as plots on the critical path for 10,000 or so Volts by 12/31/2010

Mar 25th, 2009 (3:57 pm)

Rob Peterson,

Thank you for taking the time to read comments on this web-site and going even further by responding to some of them. We all appreciate the work GM is doing even as we wish it come to fruition tomorrow.

Let me say you have no better spokesman for the Chevy Volt than Dr. Lyle Dennis. We all owe him a large measure of gratitude for providing this medium for us to read about the Volt developments and to voice our views and concerns at the same time. Sometimes we get off track, but sooner or later we get back on the subject of the Volt. It is near and dear to the hearts of the vast majority of people who visit this site daily. We do have some naysayers, but the majority of us are pulling for GM to be successful not only with the Volt program, but with all its business interests. But, we do expect GM to put their noses to the grind stone and pull themselves out of the mess they have allowed the company to sink into.

And put in a good word for Lyle to get a ride soon in a Volt.

Mar 25th, 2009 (3:59 pm)

Big Brother #46

LMAO – Have you noticed the tone of my posts lately. Careful planning leads to desired results. And I live in Southern California.

ccombs

ccombs

Mar 25th, 2009 (4:18 pm)

Wohoo! The Volt is coming, the Volt is coming! Where have the vaporware trolls run off to? Anyhew:

#29 I wholeheartedly agree! GM needs to drill into the heads of the public three things:
    1) this car is a complete revolution in technology, with all sorts of benefits that make it unlike any other car on the road
    2) This car can be driven just like a normal car- no fancy finagling required. All you need is a plug and an extension cord. How could anything be more simple?
    3) This is a car that everyone can agree on, Hollywood eco-nuts and guns ‘n religion-clinging red-state Americans alike.

I seriously think GM should do a series of ads like that I suggested a few threads back, showcasing how the Volt is something all Americans and people ’round the world can agree on. Who cares whether you buy it to stop global warming/help naked mole rats or to stick it to countries that don’t like the West- who cares if you want it for car-buff reasons like great acceleration or if you want to drive it like a granny to save power- we can all agree that we need an EREVolution! GM advertisers should make the Volt into a symbol of unity- they need to combine the rugged worker-dudes from the truck ads with the wind farms, solar panels, and eco-chic young folks from the econo-car commercials. It would be hilarious if they did ads that showed all sorts of people that normally despise eachother coming together over the Volt, getting progressively more ridiculous (ending with, say, Nelson and Napoleon hugging and driving off in an Ampera on the British version).

I was never a fan of GM (Always more of a Ford guy) before I heard about the Volt. From the moment I heard about its technology, I knew it would be revolutionary. As a cynical engineer, I never had much hope for the mass-adoption of EVs in the near future, until the Volt came around. Primarily, this is because it doesn’t require a major sacrifice or change of lifestyle to operate. This is a tech *real people* can use in *real life*, without range anxiety or the need to make any compromises*. This car will pave the way for an electrified future!

*Of course people should make lifestyle changes in the future (I am betraying my Californianess here), but eco-nuts yelling at them is only counterproductive. People need to *want* to make changes, which they will once people realize how good electric cars really are. EREV is a great transition, because it doesn’t ask people to take a scary leap, or punish them for their ecological sins with a crappy, ugly bare-bones car.

hkuebitz

hkuebitz

Mar 25th, 2009 (4:19 pm)

I just read about Nissan’s All Electric car coming out in 2010. I am hoping that GM will match them with a similar car that will be as stylish as the VOLT… There is a need and there fore a market for an all electric commuter car.

The Pollyanna (George) in Berkeley

The Pollyanna (George) in Berkeley

Mar 25th, 2009 (4:24 pm)

Lyle — what a GREAT EXCHANGE on this website. Rob is definitely right — people with a critical eye voice the questions out loud that the folks at GM are thinking about but perhaps fearful about articulating.

I also think a coming out party for the pre-production Volt this summer is a WONDERFUL idea. It’s be great to me some of you, for you (Lyle) to get your test drive, and would be TERRIFIC PR for GM.

We’re pulling for you, Rob. Go GM GO!

Mar 25th, 2009 (4:25 pm)

Rob Peterson said:

#24 Statik

==============

Oh no! I’ve been labelled! (=

Does this mean I will not be receiving a low number Volt, or my own ‘IV’ test mule? I’d like you to know that I am available to sign the hood of the first ‘IV’ mule because Bob ilikely won’t be around with his chicken scratches anymore…I have a pithy comment all ready to go.

I know you guys probably wicked love me. You need a guy like me calling out all your boss’ crazy off the cuff comments, and vocaling questioning their deadlines…that are apparently are not limited by the strains of time or money.

I can almost here the office printer running copies of my comments off late at night…then you and Bob Boniface giggling like school girls as you slip it under Lutz and Wags doors.

Actually, since there is really good odds you are surveying the responses on this thread, I would like to say, seriously…for the record:

I do realize you guys are working very hard, under a very severe and stressful environment (both the project and the company’s “situation”) and that you are expected to say all the right things (even if that is not what you are thinking internally). I’m sure my own employess have had to take some undeserved ‘flak’ on my account from time to time.

Side note: There are 10 crisp ‘Hamiltons’ with your name on them if you get me Bob Lutz’s pink tie (preferably signed) before he goes away next tuesday– (I don’t believe for a second you are going to see him kicking around the office all that much in his new role as ‘Vice Chairman and Senior Advisor’…what the heck is that title anyway?)

You can always send it inter-office mail to the front desk at the Canadian HQ (I’m about 5 mins away) or to the RenCenter front desk…I’m going to catch the Tigers home opening series on the 10th, 11th and 12th, so I’ll be around. Too bad Wagoner ebayed off your luxury suite there, I would mind brown-nosing you for some comps…I need my own restroom and internet connection while I watch the game after all (who doesn’t?). Have you ever got the use of that? The suites are actually pretty nice…Comerica has some quite good garlic-crusted beef tenderloin on the catering menu actually.

/have a good one

Mar 25th, 2009 (4:27 pm)

PS) I’d like to add my vote to give Lyle a early test drive

…sure Matt Lauer is a sexy devil, but he doesn’t have a clue about electric cars, and Phil LeBeau optimism drives me crazy

CDAVIS

CDAVIS

Mar 25th, 2009 (4:28 pm)

______________________________________________________
    Rob Pererson Said:
    “Hello,
    It’s great to see all the enthusiasm for the Volt program. I can attest the Volt development team draws tremendous motivation from the comments and feedback you provide.”

——
    Hello Rob,
    This JFK quote fits well the VOLTEC Development Team:
    “We choose to go to the moon, not because it is easy, but because it is hard”.

The VOLTEC Development team has a lot of VOLTEC fans cheering you guys on.

I hope that in 63days, 14hrs, 7min, and 47secs you will be brining us very good news regarding the start of production for the first Volt Integration Vehicles.
    ______________________________________________________
    Electric Cars + Nuclear Energy = American Energy Independence!
    ______________________________________________________

Mar 25th, 2009 (4:31 pm)

#55 Statik (me)

…I like to impress people with my fantastic spelling and grammar

/spell checker is for the weak

Scott

Scott

Mar 25th, 2009 (4:31 pm)

Glad to hear that things are going well. Thanks Lyle for the great work on this post and to GM for taking the time to participate within this forum. Looking forward to seeing the Volt on the road whether I’m the one driving it or not! Admittedly I would rather be the one driving it however :-)

Scott

Mar 25th, 2009 (4:50 pm)

Now let us do a little calendar work. The countdown clock shows the interval until construction of the 1st integrated Volt will begin. The clock shows 63 days.

We do not know exactly when the photo was taken. Suppose it was taken yesterday, March 24. Then the days until construction begins are, according to the clock

7 days in March, leaving 63-7=56
    30 days in April, leaving 56-30 = 26.
    26 days in May, leaving 26-26 = 0

That is, the clock shows that construction begins on May 26, not June 1. That is a difference of basically a week. A week is a lot for a construction job where “several” are to be driveable by July 4.

Is the clock wrong (I doubt it), or is Mr Peterson’s post wrong, or did I do the calculation wrong?

stas peterson

stas peterson

Mar 25th, 2009 (4:51 pm)

As far as I can see. the Electric car bargain is this. It will cost more in initial outlay to buy an EV of whatever architecture. But the operating cost of fuel wil constantly work to reduce that capital cost difference with cheaper electricity.

Thsi bargain is only possible by the technological advances of the past 35-40 years. In 1970 there simply was no alternative. or substitute that even remotely could substitute for Oil. All we coulddo was conserveby a downsizing, thsu minimizing use.
    Today the technological answer is there and availble witjh some qualification. Th etecnology alternaitve worsk but the cost is not quite closed to equality on a financial basis. OTOH, there is the technology alternative available Now that was not available before.

Unfortunately, the purported proponents of the EV are in practice its worst enemies.

The “bargain” worked when the cost of a gallon of gasoline was much more expensive than an “gallon” of electricity equivalent.

Today the comparison is 75 cents compared to $2.00 gasoline. But last year the comparison was 75 cents versus $4.00 per gallon equivalent.

The Cap & Trade tax officially proposed today in the Clueless One’s budget is the death knell for the electric car for another couple of decades, if this passes.

Was it only yesterday that the Clueless One made a campaign speech that he wants 1 million PHEVs by 2015. How??

charlie h

charlie h

Mar 25th, 2009 (4:55 pm)

#22, KUD: “July 4th Independence Day — First salvo to get us of Foreign OIL .”

Why wait until then? Start walking, biking, riding the bus or car-pooling today.

ROBERT M. SPERRY

ROBERT M. SPERRY

Mar 25th, 2009 (4:56 pm)

Rob Peterson – Thanks for your comments and info. We really appreciate anything we can get “from the horses mouth”. (I can hear people saying “Get a gas guzzler!’” like they used to say “Get a horse!”

Lyle – Once again, we really appreciate all you have done to get us the latest word on the Volt.

Now, when can Lyle get to drive one and when can I get to own one?

Mar 25th, 2009 (4:59 pm)

Another question of detail is this— The clock photo has the label
    Integration Vehicle/Start of Build – GA
    ——————————————————–
    What does “GA” mean here? Must be important, to have made it on to the clock.

GerryD

GerryD

Mar 25th, 2009 (5:05 pm)

To the GM-Volt team — WE ALSO NEED A 5 PASSENGER VERSION!

Mar 25th, 2009 (5:07 pm)

Thank you Rob, for showing us the clock that indicates GM’s commitment to accomplish production milestones on time.

We appreciate the quality of the GM vehicles we drive now and look forward to the day when the VOLT appears in dealer showrooms across America and the world.

eightzero

eightzero

Mar 25th, 2009 (5:12 pm)

Mar 25th, 2009 (5:16 pm)

RB# 64
    Another question of detail is this— The clock photo has the label
    Integration Vehicle/Start of Build – GA
    ——————————————————–
    What does “GA” mean here? Must be important, to have made it on to the clock.

=======================
    Good question. When I first read it, I thought it meant:
    General Availability. I shook my head and then thought Georgia.

I give up as I think both are wrong.

bruce g

bruce g

Mar 25th, 2009 (5:17 pm)

My goodness, the oracle speaks!
    Welcome aboard Rob, and I hope you speak often
    Having a GM spokesman on board brings a refreshing view point , dare I say sanity?
    Keep up the good work.

ThombDbhomb

ThombDbhomb

Mar 25th, 2009 (5:20 pm)

#56 statik

Dammit! “Bob Lutz” commented on Lyle’s March 22, 2009 post about an electric Buick Electra. He didn’t get much play. But, I asked him for the pink tie; it’s documented. I got dibs!

Apparently, people are more willing to respond to “Rob Peterson” than “Bob Lutz.”

BTW, the real statik would question if “Rob Peterson” was THE Rob Peterson.

ThombDbhomb

ThombDbhomb

Mar 25th, 2009 (5:28 pm)

#56 statik

(Me again) So is this a preview of what will happen when the Volt comes out – a bidding war?

GerryD

GerryD

Mar 25th, 2009 (5:41 pm)

GA – General Assembly????

Bill

Bill

Mar 25th, 2009 (5:49 pm)

#64 &68

Three main areas of automotive production build :

Body
    Paint
    GA = General Assembly (installation of trim, seats, engine, battery, etc..)

Bill

Mar 25th, 2009 (5:52 pm)

#71 ThombDbhomb said:

#56 statik

===========================

You can’t out bid me…I’ll just cash in all the valuable street cred and good vibes that I have build up with GM over the past two years.

/hrm, maybe thats not such a good idea

Good thing I’ve already made up a couple of very optimistic alter-identities here on the board just in case. I won’t give the names away directly…but they rhyme with Bagament and BaveG (=

George K

George K

Mar 25th, 2009 (5:55 pm)

Yes, it’s really great to see a company the size of GM listening to the people on Lyle’s site!

Be it oh so humble, there’s nothing like public feedback to a giant corporation, to keep things in perspective.

GM is fortunate to have this forum out there, and we are fortunate that GM (and the E-Rev program) is run by people who listen to our input.

=D~~~~

Van

Van

Mar 25th, 2009 (6:10 pm)

Off Topic

ThombDbhomb

ThombDbhomb

Mar 25th, 2009 (6:16 pm)

1) Off Topic
    2) Nobody answer this:

Do I get “cap and trade” credits if I buy a Volt?

/sits back, waits for bhomb to go off

old man

old man

Mar 25th, 2009 (6:25 pm)

#77 ThombDbhomb

Tick Tick tick

Not funny I know but its the best I could do.

giddy

giddy

Mar 25th, 2009 (6:25 pm)

Note:

GA means God Almighty.

Adrian

Adrian

Mar 25th, 2009 (6:27 pm)

#30, thumbs up

Lyle deserves a test drive at the very minimum.

we will never be free of oil. We will be free of not having any other choice but oil. Give me hydrogen fuel cells with the Volt. :)

Shawn Marshall

Shawn Marshall

Mar 25th, 2009 (6:32 pm)

.This is amazing !! The strong(no spell checker), cynical Statik sounds as giddy as a school girl – even wants to get down with GM.

GM may give him a special edition Volt named the Statik Electrac with a custom lightening bolt paint job.

Thanks to GM for this revolutionary car.
    Thanks to Lyle for keeping the site going.

Statik was foolin’ everybody – he was using reverse psychology to make GM sell him a car. He’s still Nutz for Lutz though.

If Mr. Peterson is talking to us, what does that say about the confidence level at GM ? Because, after all, we could criticize a mole on Marilyn’s cheek without ever seeing it.

Biodieseljeep

Biodieseljeep

Mar 25th, 2009 (6:39 pm)

GM guys:

Sorry, no time for haiku reading for you today. Now get back to work saving America…

…from itself.

Joe Gordon

Joe Gordon

Mar 25th, 2009 (6:44 pm)

To say I’m a GM guy is an understatement. My father worked for Dayton Engineering Labratory before it was DELCO. He used to give Kettering his pay envelope (cash). My first new car was a ’67 Olds Cutlass convert, with the Hurst option. I still own it, and it still looks brand new after 43 years and 126,000 miles. It is now worth about 5 times what I paid for it.
    I can’t wait to get the volt in my garage, and It will set the standard for the next 50 years.

Mike-o-Matic

Mike-o-Matic

Mar 25th, 2009 (6:57 pm)

@ RB #64 and Rashiid Amul #68,

“GA” in this context means “General Assembly.”

@ Statik’s #55,

Good gawd, he’s gotten drunk with the power!!

Mar 25th, 2009 (7:39 pm)

4th of July… (sniff) – - – Apple Pie… (sniff) – - – Chevy VOLT… (sniff)
    I’m so proud to be an American… (sniff) – - – I think I’m gonna cry… (sniff, sniff)

ccombs

ccombs

Mar 25th, 2009 (7:47 pm)

Wow, I just realized GM has their own “Manager of Electric Vehicle Communications”. Daaaang.

If anyone doesn’t think they’re serious, you should now.

Mar 25th, 2009 (7:50 pm)

#76 Van Says: Driving a 2010 Prius at less than 30 MPH, a group of more than 20 independent evaluators each got about 70 MPG over a thirty something mile course. Maybe next July we can read a similar story about the Volt.
    ————————————————————————————–
    Except the Volt will do thirty something miles at 70 MPH with no gas at all (infinite MPG).

vincent

vincent

Mar 25th, 2009 (7:50 pm)

Go GM.
    We want to show the world what America is made of!

Please do not forget the Converj!!!

Mar 25th, 2009 (7:53 pm)

#67 eightzero Says: Rob: Put a Volt on sale in a Chevy dealership for $30k or less, and I will buy one.
    ————————————————————————————–
    Th latest from GM is the Volt will be priced in the mid-30s, but there is a $7500 tax credit, which brings the effective price down to less than $30K.

Mar 25th, 2009 (8:02 pm)

#73 Bill and #84 Mike-o-Matic Thanks for identifyng GA=General Assembly

Mar 25th, 2009 (8:05 pm)

#61 stas peterson Says: But the Obama(para)sites are proposing a $1.2 billion a year Cap & Trade tax that will raise the price of electricity by ten times over. How can an electric car succeed when it costs more to buy and the price comparison of fuels is then $4.00 gasoline and $7.50 per “gallon” of electricity equivalent.
    ————————————————————————————–
    I’m a strong supporter of Obama, but I disagree with him on Cap & Trade. We need to do this eventually, but now is not the right time.

I don’t think Cap & trade will raise the price of electricity by ten times over, but it will raise the price. We need to do everything possible to reduce our dependence on oil. Implementing a minimum gas price floor tax like Wagoner is advocating is a much better idea.

omnimoeish

omnimoeish

Mar 25th, 2009 (8:06 pm)

That is pretty exciting to know that someone at GM is reading these posts. Not all of our posts are worthy of public attention, but it is good that GM is paying attention to customers.

We’re all cheering for you guys!

I wish it was this easy to contact the President. As far as the cap and trade tax, does Obama not realize that nobody likes using fossil fuels? Until programs like the Volt can mature big time, there is simply no alternative to fossil fuels. All a cap and trade tax will do is force more big companies into bankruptcy requiring more bail outs.

Bob G

Bob G

Mar 25th, 2009 (8:12 pm)

Couldn’t you stick the drivetrain in a new Camaro body and scrap that ugly looking mess of a car? PU!
    Who cares about June? Camaros are being built right now and though they may not be electric, they are fast and cool looking, like the Volt was before you guys uglied it up! >:-(

Bob G

Bob G

Mar 25th, 2009 (8:14 pm)

I almost forgot!
    What a bunch of suck asses you all have become, as soon as you learned someone from GM was watching! You’re all Two faced!
    You deserve to drive something ugly!

Mar 25th, 2009 (8:16 pm)

On the dates, something is seriously strange here. Wouldn’t the chief engineer know when assembly starts? And 63 days is a week before the end of May.

Now if first assembly takes a week, then the first prototype Volt may be finished about June 1. Compare this to Lyle’s statement in the preceding post, which is —>

Andrew Farah, the Volt’s lead engineer actually has a countdown clock in his office revealing that 63 days from today, assembly of the first true Volt will start. All the parts will be lined up at the low volume assembly facility and will begin to come together that day. Andrew notes the first one will take longer to produce, but for all intents and purposes will come to life on June 1st.

The statement seems to be consistent with the clock and consistent with what the lead engineer would know. Additionally, Lyle is good on detail, so it’s likely that he quoted Farah accurately.

So why then does Rob Peterson, Manager of Electric Vehicle Communications at GM: rush out an unprecedented statement to us contradicting — or at least laying fog over —- the lead engineer? And why is that statement given to us by Lyle with the strange explanation of On this intriguing day, GM spokesperson Rob Peterson decided to write his own response to my last post about the first Volt Integration vehicle being built June This is not normal.

No doubt there is a logical explanation, but at this time it escapes me.

Radu Seserman

Radu Seserman

Mar 25th, 2009 (8:18 pm)

Years ago I decided to never buy GM cars because of the problems I had with them. Volt changed my mind. I have a sticker on my car: “My next car will be GM – Volt”. I will make good on sticker’s promise.

Doof

Doof

Mar 25th, 2009 (8:23 pm)

#94 Bob, I don’t think they turned two faced. Just knew the jig was up.
    Doof

Go-Volt

Go-Volt

Mar 25th, 2009 (8:29 pm)

Too Bad…the Volt really is coming together. You guys who can afford the Volt will be shocked when OBama takes your new car and re-distributes to whomever he feels. The boyz in Da Hood will have em jacked up, fuzzy dice, regenerative spinners and dont forget the back seat plasma screen. Spreadn’ Da Wealth…

Irock

Irock

Mar 25th, 2009 (8:37 pm)

Can’t wait for my VOLT … GO GM … I hope GM honors Lyle’s wait list. (thanks for setting it up Lyle)

Regarding clean electricity generation; wind energy is economical, ready and waiting. In Alberta we have 11,000 MW of wind generation capacity in the queue, waiting for transmission, and coincidentally, a place to store the excess electricity. Millions of GM-Volt batteries would provide that storage capacity.

Check out the government website for yourself.

Alberta Electric System Operator (AESO) Queue:

We have much more wind resources available for development pending transmission, storage, and market. When millions of GM-Volts hit the road and the green energy demand increases, we’re ready to supply that clean electricity…

frankyB

frankyB

Mar 25th, 2009 (8:38 pm)

OMG Statik… They are trying to soft you down ;)

Seriously, keep on the good work and the good spirit. We are all beind you.

Mike-o-Matic

Mike-o-Matic

Mar 25th, 2009 (8:56 pm)

@94 Bob G,

>> What a bunch of suck asses you all have become
    While I likely cannot adequately express my thorough gratification that you consider “all” of us to be “suck asses,” please permit me to at least compliment your copious eloquence. You must be a real hoot at parties.

>> You deserve to drive something ugly!
    So, is your wife available tomorrow night, or what?

Dennis Danielson

Dennis Danielson

Mar 25th, 2009 (9:08 pm)

I think chev should have a lotto draw for some of the volts to the regular consumer to be able to buy from the first cars released rather than have them all go to fleet owners

BobS

BobS

Mar 25th, 2009 (9:26 pm)

I think every Volt sold should come with a pink tie in the glove compartment.

Rob Peterson – The cheapest advertising is word-of-mouth. If GM makes an effort to make early Volts available for sale to the faithful participants, and Volt fanatics, on this forum GM will get tons of free advertising via these same evangelists.

Glen

Glen

Mar 25th, 2009 (9:28 pm)

Rob,
    I just want you to know that I’m keeping my 8 year old “Lexus RX300″ until I can buy a Volt to replace it. The Volt will be my first GM car since I owned an Corvair back in the 1970s’. So I have a lot of respect for your engineering team and will be a GM owner once again. BTW I bought a 1000 shares of GM stock, so I cannot wait until it recovers it’s well earned value.

Mar 25th, 2009 (9:29 pm)

Yo Statik

I think I have GM’s solution for you. I was reading in the WSJ about a new technology that used car dealers are using — some electronics that let the dealer shut down the car is you miss your payment.

Seems useful in that it allows people with sketchy credit to get a loan, and I can see GM putting it to good use with you. GM sells you a Volt with this device in it. Now to make it interesting, they give Bob Lutz the control. When you comments get too cheeky, BAM, you car gets shut down. Won’t take but a few times and you’ll be as obedient as a dog with one of those pet collars on!

You do realize that you are probably the reason for the post. He just didn’t want you complaining on one minute after midnight on June 2 that GM had “once again” missed its deadline.

//just funnin with you

Mark Dubose

Mark Dubose

Mar 25th, 2009 (9:49 pm)

Just read on health.msn.com how tailpipe toxins tops the list of mammary carcinogens. So now instead of GM advertising how the suburban can save the soccer moms life in a wreck, they can advertise how the Volt can save her from breast cancer. And, unlike the add about the sububan, this one would be true!

unni

unni

Mar 25th, 2009 (10:12 pm)

back to engines : Dave G topic :-)

Wondering anybody herd on the below

They claim ”

Significantly improved engine efficiency, reaching 50%
    Reduced size and weight by 50%
    Reduced parts count by 85%, which leads to: lower cost of production and greater reliability
    Reduced NOx emissions by 70%
    Reduced CO2 emissions by 50%
    Low friction design leading to long life
    Decreased maintenance requirements: no oil or spark plug changes required, ever
    Less noise, due to low pressure exhaust and absence of poppet valves ”

and its based on High Efficiency Hybrid Cycle (HEHC) thermodynamic cycle

If the claims are true and volt use it then volt can go for a very high extended range as volt needs the engine to run only in optimal rpm.

statik

Mar 25th, 2009 (10:42 pm)

#105 DonC said:

Yo Statik

//just funnin with you
    ================================

You think I’m still posting here the minute after I get my Volt? Best way for GM to get me to go away is to sell me a Volt…which has basically been my plan all along. (just kidding)
    —–
    Side note: This is a crazy thread, I mean the mood is all over the place…I was just keeping it light because clearly he just wanted to come here and clarify the last post (as the ‘internets’ now know to come here first to get Volt news)

The title of the old thread did read, “First genuine Chevy Volt integration vehicle to be completed by june 1 2009,” which was not really congruent/accurate with what Farrah said about assembly starting on June first. I mean if you took the time to read it (which most of us did), you understood what was going on…but you still had to have the patience to do it, and get past the title.

Here is my post from the last one, I was thinking it needed to be sussed out and presented a little more clearly as well (I think Rob Peterson was thinking the same thing by commenting directly):

#24 Statik said:
    As I understand it from this post:
    June 1st, 2009: start of mock line to produce production intent Volts
    July 4th, 2009: more than 1 production intent Volts built
    End of August: fleet of 80 completed (roughly 10 per week once first is out)

Side, side note: Where are all these crazy ‘one-off’ people with over the top comments coming from lately? Clearly, I have no problems with disagreeing about something or someone (heeh)…but it would be nice to have them presented in a manner that encourages discussion/debate.

/but maybe that is the price Lyle’s site has to pay for such wide exposure

unni

unni

Mar 25th, 2009 (10:45 pm)

Lurtz

Lurtz

Mar 25th, 2009 (10:56 pm)

GO VOLT TEAM! You’re an American joule.

statik

Mar 25th, 2009 (11:03 pm)

#91 DaveG said:

========================

Forgive me if this is dated (or inaccurate with news of the day)…I didn’t get a chance to watch any CNBC/news/tv for the last day or so…and the ‘company line’ seems to change daily:

I’m not sure cap & trade is going to get into this budget…feels like it is going to get the drop and delay.

As I recall, cap and trade was going to fund the “Make Life Suck Less” tax credit to low income people (ok it was Making Work Pay)…but the last salvo of stimulus has funded that for the next couple years.

I was thinking maybe they are going to try and propose it as a standalone when the political and economic will is stronger?

Maybe you (or someone) could bring me up to speed on any recent developments (if any)? I would be interested know what is happening on it.

hayley

hayley

Mar 25th, 2009 (11:07 pm)

Has everybody seen this?

@21 Dave K
    American E-Revolution – Love it!

James

James

Mar 26th, 2009 (12:51 am)

GM if you really do read this site. Can I have a discount on my next car equal to the tax money I have already given your company to save you from bankruptcy? I think thats fair.

Jim From Colorado

Jim From Colorado

Mar 26th, 2009 (1:20 am)

Rob Petterson, this is an outright bribe. If you give Lyle a chance to drive one of the mules in the next two weeks I will personally buy you a burger and a microbrew the next time you visit Fort Collins. The same offer is also extended to Lutz with the added stipulation he also has to give me a ride in his jet.

Tom Harwick

Tom Harwick

Mar 26th, 2009 (3:20 am)

=================================================
    Innumeracy strikes again. Unlike illiteracy, which is rare among Americans, most USA residents (unlike the typical poster on this site) are innumerate.

Using no research, just 5th grade arithmetic, you can show the statement above to be incorrect by orders of magnitude.

If a $1.2 billion tax increases electricity cost by 10x, then current electricity usage must be $133 million. Since there about 300 million Americans, the typical annual electric cost for a family of 4 would be $1.77 per year. That would include their home electric bull plus the cost of electricity in the goods and services they use.

Are you smarter than a fifth grader?

Arthur

Arthur

Mar 26th, 2009 (3:34 am)

On the day that Tesla unveil the Model S and the sure knowledge that Americans will see real deal Volts parading on Independence Day, this indeed is the stuff of what America is about – hope, innovation, enterprise, liberation and togetherness as a nation.

What is really great is that this program is that it also serves as a great example to young people about the excitement, challenge, relevance and reward of following an engineering career. Oh and do not forget the excellent job prospects developing the products for the new green economy.

God Bless the Engineers

Go Volt, go GM, go Michigan, go USA
    NPNS

Bruce

Bruce

Mar 26th, 2009 (4:30 am)

I hope GM remembers that the car that put Ford on the map was a Model T, not a Lincoln. Just give us a car that will move from point A to point B with user selectable speed or economy.

Keith

Keith

Mar 26th, 2009 (4:58 am)

I applaud the introduction of this technology that is to be used in the Volt and others .
    In the future it will be looked upon as important as the Industrial Revolution that brought modern manufacturing technologies and inventions to Europe and the rest of the then civilized world .
    We are living in and seeing history being made as it happens no doubt about it .
    One of the most important aspect of sales is not only the owners feeling of satisfaction and pride of ownership in the product but also the created desire of others to want to have the sane thing .
    The Volt will in most cases blend in with all the other Chevy cars on the road and won’t be an inspiration to others who would otherwise desire to buy one .
    I emotionally and intellectually support this car and its development 100% but I would like to see a car that would stand apart from the common looking crowd .
    Leave the basic body design as is , change to the Converge front fenders , hood , and grill in assembly . Make it a foot longer and put a Converge tail end on it for a price of around $60,000 .
    (5 passenger)
    Same interior appointments and functions as the Volt only only made for the Cadillac and don’t publish any numbers regarding how many would be manufactured .
    Wouldn’t it be nice to have a waiting list of customers for this car .
    No moon roof and the only options would be cloth or leather seating , color and wheel design at the same price .
    People like to be seen and noticed when they are successful and are thought to be doing the right thing .

Ken

Ken

Mar 26th, 2009 (5:14 am)

I have registered with the GM-Volt waiting list ( I am under 2,500)

I want to purchase a Volt but given the screwed up Financial system and the high $40K price, I doubt I will be able to purchase one.

This should be of EXTREME concern with GM–

(I hope GM decision makers are reading this)

Maynard Keenan

Maynard Keenan

Mar 26th, 2009 (5:24 am)

Kids, kids! Don’t go crazy! I understand that it’s exciting to get a response from (high level) GM.

But for me, it just looks like that they are playing with you. Is it mere chance, that Mr. Peterson had a bootlicking response down pat, just a few days before another portentous deadline? And it worked – you are all excited, following him like sheep…

Some criticism is still appropriate:
    - The Volt will NOT start a revolution. It’s too expensive. If it was below 20.000 $, maybe it could start something big. The Tata Nano is more like a revolution (although not interesting for all of us).
    - It still takes 2 more years, before anyone of you has his Volt. Be realistic. If they start building the final version in November 2010, you will be able to buy it in March 2011. The Volt will have competitors by then.

I still like the Volt (or the Ampera as I’m from Germany), but it won’t be the saviour for GM, America or the world…

5 days left for GM… statik: keep us informed :-)

Mar 26th, 2009 (5:37 am)

Mike-o-Matic #84.

General Assembly. Makes total sense.

Thanks.

Mar 26th, 2009 (6:38 am)

#96 Radu Seserman Says: Years ago I decided to never buy GM cars because of the problems I had with them. Volt changed my mind. I have a sticker on my car: “My next car will be GM – Volt”.
    ————————————————————————————–
    I’m the same way. I never would have considered a GM car if it weren’t for the Volt. Let’s hope they get it right…

Mar 26th, 2009 (6:43 am)

#96 and #122

Count me in that as well. Never again, but here I am excited about buying one. I truly hope they get it right. That is why I think a limited roll out make sense.

rarmstrong

rarmstrong

Mar 26th, 2009 (6:45 am)

Well said Rob. Thank you for the information. I think we are all anxious to see GM come back with a “hero”. It has been quite some time since GM was seen at the front of the pack, and I, for one, can’t wait to see it happen. Score one for the home team!

Mar 26th, 2009 (7:13 am)

We finally get some decent news out of GM concerning the Volt, and some of you still want to punch them in the eye for it…..

And this “it has to be under $20K” line, I just don’t get it. In Sunday’s paper they had a story about the new Ford Taurus. Listed pricing – $26K – $38K+. The base price for a 2009 Hundai Sonata with an automatic transmission is $19.9K!

Yet some of you seem to think that right out of the starting gate the Volt, with a new implemetation of technology, and a brand new power source should priced like a K-Mart blue light special….. But then you demand GM to prosper and be profitable. So what magic potion makes that happen??? And I don’t buy the Model-T comparison. The goal of that vehicle was to be high volume and low cost, nothing else. There wasn’t any real new technology there. The goal of the Volt Gen-1 is to prove that an E-REV type vehicle will work and can be produced and sold in real volume. GM has already stated that the Gen-2 priority will be to refine the design and to reduce cost. Why is that so complicated to some of you????

Sorry for the rant.

Mar 26th, 2009 (7:23 am)

#120 Maynard Keenan

Well…of interest now, is not only the ‘decision’ on GM solvency….sounds like we have some waffling on the deadline (I expect to see some dollar bills dangled in front of them, but tied to benchmarks (and a stern talking to)…which is a good way to delay and also put a little more pressure on the players at the same time).

Up first we have the ‘sale’ of HUMMER. In GM’s last ‘we are serious, we are going to make tough decisions’ manifesto, they were very specific that the HUMMER situation would be settled by March 31st (tuesday)…whether that be sold or folded.

GM would probably prefer to let this deadline slip, but they need to keep as much credibility as they can.

As a recap, they start shopping HUMMER quietly early in 2008, then not so quietly by mid year by practically running televised ads on it.

Naturally, we had lots of misdirection from Wagoner saying they had lots of interested buyers, and they penciled in a billion dollars for the brand (part of the ‘we are raising 15 billion…if only in our minds’ plan at the annual meeting).

People had Indian, Saudi, Russian and even Chinese company’s interested in the brand (no domestics…which was a big red flag). As time went on, without news or confimation on hard suitors, the estimated pricetag went down to maybe half a billion.

Then credibility and value really started to take a hit as GM tried to quietly buy out dealers (either in a effort to avoid the Oldsmobile-like fiasco that Wags is so famous for…or to attempt to make the brand more palatable to foreign interests).

Now here we are in early 2009, GM has spent or lost probably 500 million to a billion dollars on HUMMER, and best guess is the brand is worth 150-200 million…but then again, might be worth only a $1, once you consider what condition any buyer that is left out there might want to receive HUMMER in.

GM would probably prefer to just starve dealers to death, while waiting to solve the problem by making it go away with more gov’t money down the road…but now are faced with finally biting the bullet and taking the hit on their self-imposed deadline, or continuing to lose a disproportional amount of money to the actual cost of closing the brand…but maybe doing it with someone else’s money.

/not a easy choice

SteveK

SteveK

Mar 26th, 2009 (7:33 am)

That clock speaks volumes. It is really the answer to those who think everyone at GM is lazy and stupid. That article in The Atlantic about the Volt a year or so ago, featured Andrew Farah prominently. If I recall, he worked on the EV1 and at first did not want to work on the Volt project, until they convinced him it was ‘real’ this time. The writer checked in with Farah a couple of times and just from a few of his comments you could get a feeling for the tremendous pressure on this guy. Putting up that clock is a real testament to his will.

NZDavid

NZDavid

Mar 26th, 2009 (7:43 am)

FME 111 @ 11 Says:

How about reponding to THAT?

Yep, I noticed that as well.
    Looking forward to Lyles drive on July 4th.

<LJGTVWOTR
    NO plug, NO sale.

Shawn Marshall

Shawn Marshall

Mar 26th, 2009 (8:32 am)

Has Lyle ever said he’s never had a ride?

ronr64

ronr64

Mar 26th, 2009 (8:33 am)

#119 Ken wrote “***If GM could develop a Layaway Plan (like Henry Ford designed when selling the Model T) then I could make payments towards the down payment IMMEDIATELY. This way I would know that I could (hopefully) meet my dream of owning a Volt and assuring GM of a committed Volt buyer.”

Are you kidding? Open a savings account and set up a direct deposit from your checking to the savings account. What do you need from GM or any other retailer for this? Now if you meant that there are millions, perhaps even a majority – including yourself, of Americans with a financial backbone of jello that can only save with such a ploy then I guess you have a point.

But seriously this irks the crap out of me. We’ve become a people who look outward towards government or “someone” to do or provide that which we should be looking inward and doing and providing ourselves.

I can’t go to college without grants or subsidized loans. I can’t buy a house without down payment assistance and subsidized interest rates. I can’t buy a car without a layaway plan. I can’t retire without social security being enough to live on comfortably. (never mind it was supposed to be SUPPLEMENTAL)

All right, I’ve cooled off and feel better. Sorry for the off-topic rant. Back to Volt.

ronr64

ronr64

Mar 26th, 2009 (8:40 am)

GM has another problem with the Volt that doesn’t get much discussion. My wifes Deville has 104,000 on it and I would like to replace it but I’m not sure I want to until the Volt comes out. Now if I could buy one in Nov 10 that wouldn’t be too long to wait but realistically I doubt I would see one here in Minnesota until 2012 so meanwhile do I buy a new car or really wait longer than I want? That is a lost sale for GM when they need it the most. Now if they really wanted to generate sales today they could come up with some sort of trade in program. Maybe it wouldn’t even need to involve $$ as much as access. What I mean by that is how about if you buy a qualifying new GM car it gets you a place in line to buy a Volt when they come out. Heck if they said buy a Hybrid Tahoe and put a down payment on a Volt at the same time then you are #XXX to buy a Volt I would be at my local Chevy dealer this morning. Or perhaps rather than a number it could be a generalized date. Such as Jan 2011, Feb 2011 and so on.

Shawn Marshall

Shawn Marshall

Mar 26th, 2009 (8:53 am)

Shawn Marshall

Shawn Marshall

Mar 26th, 2009 (9:01 am)

ronr64
    My wife would like to get a Malibu now but we are holding out for a Volt too.
    If GM would give me a buy back contract for the Malibu towards a Volt in the year 2011, I’d buy now; worst case, I’d keep the Malibu for 15-20 years.

Also would like GM to consider selling all Volts in 2010 & 2011 in Virginia due to our moderate but varied weather and give preference to existing GM owners on Lyle’s waiting list who also have GM credit card points to use.
    Don’t you think that’s a fine idea?

Jerome

Jerome

Mar 26th, 2009 (10:03 am)

Expanding on #131′s thought regarding buy now – trade in deal for a Volt later…..I assume GM has lots of cars coming off lease that they also need to sell. It might make sense to sell certified pre-owned vehicles now with a guaranteed trade-in for Volt in 3 years when they will be produced in higher volume. Selling new cars of course is better since they have to be built but GM (like all auto mfgrs) must have an issue with leased cars too.

Van

Van

Mar 26th, 2009 (11:37 am)

Is the Volt supposed to be able to drive at 70 MPH for over 30 miles using no gas? Nope! Lets assume at 70 MPH the energy draw is 21 KW. That works out to 26 miles before you start burning gas and enter the charge sustaining mode of operation.

Alternately lets assume after we pass the customer depletion point, we drive at less than 30 miles per hour, using 8 KW of energy. GM claims the vehicle will get about 50 MPG (EPA city where average speed is about 23 MPH)

The Volt wins hands down on short trips, within its AER, but afterword, it will burn almost as much or more gas than the 2010 Prius.

Or so it seems to me.

lektriktadpole

lektriktadpole

Mar 26th, 2009 (11:55 am)

We need to correct a level of under recognition on this site. Lyle doesn’t deserve a Volt test ride. Lyle deserves a Volt, plain and simple.

Lets all get behind this!!!!!

Jean-Charles Jacquemin

Jean-Charles Jacquemin

Mar 26th, 2009 (12:53 pm)

lektriktadpole #136

I’m with you, Lyle deserves a Volt.

And more generally, the recognition of the gm-volt.com site by GM is a great achievment, thanks to – I think – to the quality of Lyle’s posts and the quality of most of the comments.

It is two years that I’m addicted to this site, I wonder what this site will look like in two years, … it is quite interesting to go back and read the first posts and comments … and to observe the progress.

And thanks Lyle again to have made this happen.

Regards,

JC NPNS

Curious Luke

Curious Luke

Mar 26th, 2009 (2:42 pm)

Yay! To the Volt team, keep up the good work!

kubel

kubel

Mar 26th, 2009 (4:55 pm)

It’s great to see the Volt team interacting with future Volt owners (or at least those of us who will drool over them in showrooms) like this. I realize you are all very busy, but we all appreciate what little time you have available to listen to the feedback from the community.

bintoo

bintoo

Mar 26th, 2009 (7:18 pm)

Statik – are you at CREC?, I’m at CHQ4E it’d be nice to have a conversation with a fellow volt FAN, if you get a chance look for me on casual Fridays wearing my VOLT T shirt. Great comments, keep em comming. x4730

Mar 26th, 2009 (7:58 pm)

“my feeling that this is an important vehicle for GM and the industry”

This is being modest.

The Volt is an important vehicle for the World!

NPNS!

Mar 26th, 2009 (9:56 pm)

#140 bintoo said:

=====================

Were you at CREC and survived the ‘purge’? Did you work on the theta-Equinox/Torrent before all the non research/delivery stuff got shuttered?

I don’t actually work for GM. (well, I have done some contract work but nothing like engineering a car…just promo stuff)…I just know too many people there, lol.

cc

cc

Mar 26th, 2009 (11:39 pm)

they need to make a technological & social statement that people dont know about yet……what they say knock there socks off.

it will be seen to be berlieved
    volt allready sounds dated watch out. bbbzzzzzzzz

Ken Grubb

Ken Grubb

Mar 27th, 2009 (8:32 am)

This just in from the NBC News desk.

For the 2011 Season of “Heroes”, the good guys will drive Chevy Volts.

The bad guys? Hummers.

Jon

Jon

Mar 27th, 2009 (11:58 am)

Can I have one of the ones you are going to crash up when you’ve finished with it then? I don’t mind a few dents.

Ken Grubb

Ken Grubb

Mar 27th, 2009 (4:00 pm)

I’ve got the Volt campaign kickoff music.

Bonnie Tyler’s “I Need A Hero”

I need a hero
    I’m holding out for a hero ’till the end of the night
    He’s gotta be strong
    And he’s gotta be fast
    And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight

Tomtom

Tomtom

Mar 27th, 2009 (4:04 pm)

I think it is sad that after all these years, GM is going to turn out an electric vehicle that costs like $40,000 before govt incentives. The target price should have been under $20,000. And this type of vehicle is really needed too.

First genuine Chevy Volt hits production on June 1st | activiiv

First genuine Chevy Volt hits production on June 1st | activiiv

Mar 27th, 2009 (4:33 pm)

[...] so don’t go looking for your favorite Gatsby cap just yet.Read – Announcement (with glaring mistake)Read – Corrections from GM exec Rob PetersonFiled under: TransportationFirst genuine Chevy Volt hits [...]

First genuine Chevy Volt hits production on June 1st

First genuine Chevy Volt hits production on June 1st

Mar 27th, 2009 (4:47 pm)

JohanS

JohanS

Mar 27th, 2009 (5:22 pm)

Why do the buttons look like crap in the Volt’s interior ? It looks massively busy, and very cheap! Seriously, couldn’t they spend money on designing the buttons and dials .. or go touchscreen and OLED buttons for many of them? I at least hope there’s one or two USB interfaces.

They would recover the cost of it by selling 1 or 2% more cars.

Whistleteeth

Whistleteeth

Mar 27th, 2009 (6:06 pm)

I have a question. If building a new car is so hard while also developing a new drivetrain technology, why are they only developing one kind if car? Why not have multiple platforms? A high, middle, and low end vehicle? I don’t know about everyone else but my ass doesn’t require leather.

152. [...] – Announcement (with glaring mistake)Read – Corrections from GM exec Rob [...]

2010 Chevy Volt: In Person [Pics] : Gas 2.0

2010 Chevy Volt: In Person [Pics] : Gas 2.0

Mar 27th, 2009 (9:35 pm)

[...] The latest buzz is that GM will begin building the 2010 Volt by June 1, with 10 a week being built until a fleet of 80 has been manufactured. The price is still to be determined, but the word is somewhere around $40,000. [...]

154. [...] – Announcement (with glaring mistake)Read – Corrections from GM exec Rob [...]

155. [...] by July 4th, 2009. Rob Peterson, GM’s Manager of Electric Vehicle Communications, replied to a post of the blog stating “builds of the first Volt integration vehicles will BEGIN on June 1 and [...]

willdryden

willdryden

Apr 2nd, 2009 (5:51 am)

#52 – ccombs

Put the E-REV in a 4 wheel drive pickup and you have a deal. Otherwise, I have a road for you.

#61 – stas peterson

Comparing cost of electricity and cost of gas for a given range is dubious. Everybody does not pay the same for electricity and it depends a lot on CD for the electric car and MPG for the gas car.

#86 – ccombs

I remember when they said the same thing about the EV-1. We all know what happened there.

#92 – omnimoeish

Obama’s advisers watch just as close as GM does this site.

#107 – unni

They have been working on it for 3 years. May be on track, but I heard they were having trouble getting the output up to spec.

I hope I’m wrong, but I won’t believe it until there is a Volt at my local dealer for sale.

Dingoes

Dingoes

Apr 6th, 2009 (1:48 pm)

About damned time! The last car I bought was a Japanese hybrid and I’ve been holding off buying anything else till I can buy electric. And American! Woohoo!

Oh, and guys, please give us a selection of colors that aren’t just gray and taupe. Thxmuch.

Бaбyшкa

Бaбyшкa

Aug 21st, 2009 (5:53 pm)

За статью спасибо вам огромное, все по делу, достаточно много кто это использует

inunellocon

inunellocon

Sep 2nd, 2009 (1:14 pm)

Not Found
    404 Not Found
    Apache/2.2.3 (Debian) mod_python/3.2.10 Python/2.4.4 PHP/5.2.0-8+etch15 mod_ssl/2.2.3 OpenSSL/0.9.8c Server at allhomedecor.org Port 80

The requested URL /forxru1/zadanie.txt was not found on this server.