Jan 11

Cadillac Converj Extended-Range Electric Vehicle

2009 Cadillac Converj Concept Computer Generated Image

Today GM unveiled its newest extended-range electric vehicle. This time the E-Flex technology, which has been given a new name called Voltec, has been married to a luxury coupe.

The car is beautifully styled, sleek, and clearly aerodynamic. It has been designed this time from square one to have the appropriate aerodynamics to allow it the same 40 mile-range as the Chevy Volt.

The vehicle will use a gasoline-range extender and lithium ion batteries.

The press release:

CONVERJ: THE “CADILLAC” OF ELECTRIC VEHICLES
Luxury coupe concept continues GM’s leadership in the electrification of the automobile

DETROIT – General Motors unveiled a further glimpse at the potential of electric propulsion today, this time in the form of luxury transportation, with the Cadillac Converj Concept. The Cadillac Converj was developed as a well-appointed grand touring coupe with a bold design and a host of interactive technology.

The four-passenger Converj concept is intended to show how GM’s revolutionary electric propulsion technology – called Voltec – can power a luxury coupe with a typically Cadillac “no compromises” design. The technology enables up to 40 miles of gas- and emissions-free electric driving with extended-range capability of hundreds of miles.

Bob Lutz, GM’s vice chairman of Global Product Development, said the Converj concept has production substance. “It’s a logical extension of our plan to reinvent the automobile,” he said. “It clearly shows what a Cadillac electric vehicle could look like, and clearly indicates that global luxury customers can have a car that has both strong design and electric propulsion with a total range of hundreds of anxiety-free miles.”

Cadillac’s extended-range electric vehicle (E-REV) concept has a new body style that is an evolution of the brand’s traditional Art and Science design theme. An aggressive, forward-leaning arc profile is the foundation for the sporting stance. And more than a Cadillac in form, Converj is also intended to be a Cadillac in substance, with the premium materials, technology and driving dynamics that are hallmarks of the brand.

2009 Cadillac Converj Concept Computer Generated Image

CADILLAC CONVERJ CONCEPT 2009 Cadillac Converj Concept Computer Generated Image 2009 Cadillac Converj Concept Computer Generated Image

This entry was posted on Sunday, January 11th, 2009 at 11:01 am and is filed under Converj, E-REV. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

Spin

Spin

Jan 11th, 2009 (11:04 am)

Sweet!! I might wait for this if it will be a production vehicle. How about a waiting list for this? I guess I am #1 on that list.

User Name

User Name

Jan 11th, 2009 (11:06 am)

More vaporware from Detroit.

Kyle S.

Kyle S.

Jan 11th, 2009 (11:10 am)

THAT is definitely going to sell.

Tagamet

Tagamet

Jan 11th, 2009 (11:11 am)

“LJGT V WOTR!!

Tag

Guy Incognito

Guy Incognito

Jan 11th, 2009 (11:16 am)

Here at gm-volt.com we’re all buzzing about this.
    At least according to The Wall Street Journal we are.

Kudos to Bob & Rick for once again with the dangling carrot.
    Actually, I just drove this concept car yesterday…then I woke up.

Eclectic Dan

Eclectic Dan

Jan 11th, 2009 (11:17 am)

Nice to see that GM has made this design aerodynamic from the start. …and no none will say this looks too much like a prius.

kent beuchert

kent beuchert

Jan 11th, 2009 (11:21 am)

It takes more than just plain ignorance to claim that the Caddy EFlex is vaporware – it takes real, honest-to-God stupidity and true
    lack of common sense. Hallmarks of our brainless, incompetent younger generation.

Lurtz

Lurtz

Jan 11th, 2009 (11:27 am)

Earl

Earl

Jan 11th, 2009 (11:27 am)

GM needs to put this in their production plans ASAP, it would be a huge hit.

James E.

James E.

Jan 11th, 2009 (11:28 am)

Beautiful car they need to price it starting in the mid 40’s and price & the Volt in the low 30’s.

NPNS

Dave B

Dave B

Jan 11th, 2009 (11:37 am)

I’m with Tag, production of the Volt first, then we’ll talk about other more expensive vehicles with voltech.

scott

scott

Jan 11th, 2009 (11:39 am)

WOW!!!! That is a beautiful car. It even puts the concept Volt to shame. Put me down as #2 on the wait list. I am impressed. This is proof that aerodynamic shapes do not have to be ugly or look just like a Prius. I want one! I want one! I want one!

jeff j

jeff j

Jan 11th, 2009 (11:41 am)

Watch out world GM is coming back , This car is out of this world COOL . Great Job Design Team Two thumbs UP !!!!

Firefly

Firefly

Jan 11th, 2009 (11:43 am)

Oh my GOD! A CTS and a Gallardo had a son and he ran off with a Volt and this is the love child of that union. If ever I wanted an E-REV coupe, this is it!

And people used to say that a Cadillac was an old person’s car…

frankyB

frankyB

Jan 11th, 2009 (11:43 am)

Beautiful, both inside and out… If they price it under 80K they will pull the rug under Tesla and Fisker. That’s if they decide to produce it.

gsned57

gsned57

Jan 11th, 2009 (11:44 am)

It may be aerodynamic, but the windows all look 6 inches high. Looks to me like another bait and switch concept design. Personally I like the look of the new volt and don’t really care what it looks like as long as it has the plug and the range. But I know a lot of you guys care a little more than me

statik

statik

Jan 11th, 2009 (11:44 am)

jeff j

jeff j

Jan 11th, 2009 (11:47 am)

OPEC your time is running OUT tick tick tick ,,,

Jan 11th, 2009 (11:50 am)

I am happy the Voltec is going into more cars.

Jan 11th, 2009 (11:55 am)

So to ask when it’s available is the wrong question…

canehdian

canehdian

Jan 11th, 2009 (11:57 am)

Looks pretty awesome.
    Too bad it’s a cadillac, and thus will be like 80k and shall remain in my dreams. :p

Jan 11th, 2009 (11:57 am)

#19 Rashiid Amul says: “I am happy the Voltec is going into more cars.
    But high end cars with Voltec will only make the people with money feel good about themselves. It won’t really make that much of a dent in our addiction to oil. However, I think over time, Voltec can be in all cars and cheaper because the richer people in our society helped pay for the R&D.”
    ————————————————————————————–
    Yes, well said.

hs

hs

Jan 11th, 2009 (12:00 pm)

Why is everyone saying this is vaporware? This car seems to maybe make more sense than the Volt, considering the high premium for the Voltec system. If you are in the market for a Cadillac then you can probably afford it… not so with everyone in the market for a Chevy looking at a Volt.

Jan 11th, 2009 (12:01 pm)

#18 jeff j Says: “OPEC your time is running OUT tick tick tick ,,,”
    ————————————————————————————–
    In the late 90′s, Opec killed the electric car with cheap gas prices.

What makes you think this time will be different?

We need to set a minimum price on oil!

Tim

Tim

Jan 11th, 2009 (12:05 pm)

If GM keeps this up…

THEY WILL LIVE!

chevonly

chevonly

Jan 11th, 2009 (12:16 pm)

If you are looking at this vehicle and your pulse rate doesn’t go up you have no business visiting this site, this vehicle is a work of art, to bad Rick and Bob were not around GM 10 or 15 years ago, GM would be in much better shape than it is today, this is not vaporware if the country survives this car will survive, I can see Matt or Phil driving one of these bad boys in the future now that they have gotten a taste of the performance an electric vehicle can provide.

wrigley

wrigley

Jan 11th, 2009 (12:20 pm)

40′s for this car…keep dreaming.

it should compete with the best lexus can offer.

60-70 at least.

statik

statik

Jan 11th, 2009 (12:22 pm)

Side note:
    Chrysler just unveiled a 5th, unannounced EV (how many do these guys have?). You can see it debuting live…right now, if you reading this fresh.

The 200C, a electric sedan concept.

(Click the external player jump if it doesn’t start in your window)

Spin

Spin

Jan 11th, 2009 (12:25 pm)

I can’t believe that there are only 2 of us on the waiting list with all these favorable comments, Come on guys, sign up!!!

Tagamet

Tagamet

Jan 11th, 2009 (12:34 pm)

@Statik
    The Chrysler line looks good – as long as we keep the perspective that they are all CONCEPT cars. No release dates (that I heard) and nothing Close to a price range.
    Still, they looked good.
    Be well,
    Tag
    LJGTVWOTR!! NPNS

KUD

KUD

Jan 11th, 2009 (12:34 pm)

If the build it and price is reachable, they just lost a VOLT Customer :)

Tagamet

Tagamet

Jan 11th, 2009 (12:37 pm)

@KUD

“It” = which one?
    Tag

statik

statik

Jan 11th, 2009 (12:40 pm)

#30 Tag said:

@Statik
    Still, they looked good.
    Be well,
    Tag
    LJGTVWOTR!! NPNS
    =============================
    Glad someone caught it. I really had mixed feelings about throwing that comment into this lead thread, when it was so young…but a live feed on a unannounced EV seemed too ‘newsworthy’/interesting to our community to not post.

You are right, the 200C is very concept, it has a lot of features which I would call optimistically futuristic. It certainly will not be produced ‘as is’. I guess we through that in with the other 4…with 1 of them being produced next year (I’m still thinking Caravan myself).

/back to the Cadillac conversation, lol….I really like the rear configuration alot better than your standard hybrid. Digg the rear signal lights.

Tagamet

Tagamet

Jan 11th, 2009 (12:43 pm)

@Statik33
    That 200C is almost TOO “connected”. I’d be affraid of using the keyboard and having Nancy Pelosi pop up waggling a finger that I’m driving too fast….
    Be well,
    Tag

Tagamet

Tagamet

Jan 11th, 2009 (12:46 pm)

Well, I have to go shovel two vehicles out of our new snow banks.
    BBL
    Tag

John Lee

John Lee

Jan 11th, 2009 (12:46 pm)

Blah / Blah / Blah…

Leave it to GM… they will make a good looking concept car, looks like a Accord and charge us $60,000 for it…

Just like the volt!!!

Jan 11th, 2009 (12:49 pm)

Pretty is as pretty does but the Caddy is one very cool design. Not nearly as functional as the Volt but I’d rather have one for what I do. The design of the Converge makes the original Volt concept look dated and dowdy.

The problem with all the other announced concepts from Chrysler, Ford, Toyota is that EVs are simply (still) not ready for prime time. They’re easy enough to make but the added benefits of an extended range far outweigh the extra costs. Serial hybrids are definitely the right answer for the next 15 years. Right now GM has the only platform that can put significant numbers of EVs on the road in the next five to ten years.

RLM

RLM

Jan 11th, 2009 (12:54 pm)

I presuume those extremely small side “mirrors” are really video cameras but i don’t see where the displays are in the interior view.
    Anyway, if the price is reachable, sign me up for that Caddy coupe.

mike

mike

Jan 11th, 2009 (1:00 pm)

If the government would stop losing money and start lending real money people would prob. get somewhere and be able to buy cars like this.

visit my site watch the video

John

John

Jan 11th, 2009 (1:03 pm)

If they had this at a dealership today, I’d buy it.

Luke

Luke

Jan 11th, 2009 (1:04 pm)

The aerodynamics on this look pretty good at-a-glance. I bet none of you folks noticed the laminar-flow lines with kamm-back and a surprisingly “prius like” shape. :-) It’s just that the team at GM did a really nice job with the artistic aspects of the designs, so it looks like a luxury sport coupe. And it looks like a Cadillac, too. Someone should buy that team a beer. :-)

Still, they give us caviar on a cracker, and I want spinach on a plate. I’d like to hear if anyone is looking at an e-flex compact pickup! I sold my Jetta TDI because my lifestyle involves less driving, the girlfriend is still attached to her 100k-mile Prius, and I still have my beat-up old Ford Ranger with 179k miles on it. So, the next vehicle in the household fleet that is up for replacement is the Ranger.

jbfalaska

jbfalaska

Jan 11th, 2009 (1:06 pm)

GM took 8 years to launch the Saturn division (which may now go defunct). The GM-Volt was launched ahead of all competition, yet it looks as though GM may be last to launch the electrics. I’ve never owned anything but GM (Buicks since I was 21, for the exceptional quality throughout).

I went out and bought two Lincoln MKX (Ford products) vehicles after hearing news the Volt engine plant was halted. The Lincoln MKX is built in Canada with the engine and transmission made in the USA. A salute to our posters here.

I’m losing faith in GM. Both Ford and GM are union shops wih overpaid CEOs, yet Ford and almost every other company always seems always quicker to respond. Now, this car???? 10 years from now perhaps IF GM survives. With the launch of the new Buick Lacrosse 2010, I’ll probably be back in Buick again unless the E-machines start rolling soon.

Stew

Stew

Jan 11th, 2009 (1:08 pm)

#22 Dave G

#19 Rashiid Amul says: “I am happy the Voltec is going into more cars.
    ————————————————————————————–
    Yes, well said.

——————————————————————————–

Agreed, well said

Stew

Jan 11th, 2009 (1:09 pm)

#8 Lurtz said “I really like the Volt’s design, but compared to this the Volt does look pretty vanilla.
    I also like that they both look like they’re designed by the same company. You don’t usually get that from GM cars.”
    ———————————————————————–

It’s just a concept car. Once burned, twice shy.

Tony Bries

Tony Bries

Jan 11th, 2009 (1:14 pm)

I hope you will put a big internal combustion engine in it.

ted

ted

Jan 11th, 2009 (1:15 pm)

Proves that the Volt doesn’t need to look like a turd!

And I agree with others that this is vaporware.

Laurie Bries

Laurie Bries

Jan 11th, 2009 (1:16 pm)

Hope it is going to come in “Pearl”. Love that color!

Andy

Andy

Jan 11th, 2009 (1:19 pm)

Meh. Still only 40 miles of pure electric drive. Need more to compete with the likes of BYD.

Steve

Steve

Jan 11th, 2009 (1:29 pm)

Great, but the Volt isn’t in production yet. Hard to get excited about step four when they’re still not finished with step one.

Complaining about 40 miles electric range, one must remember with the engine the range is virtually unlimited. With pure electric 100 miles range, after 100 miles you’re done for the day. Have to recharge batteries.

TomHandy

TomHandy

Jan 11th, 2009 (1:32 pm)

For the people complaining about people calling this vaporware, it probably would help to know that the meaning of “vaporware” has changed over the years. Initially vaporware more specifically referred to a product that didn’t exist in any way, shape or form, but that a company released info on – most commonly to get people to wait for said product rather than buying a competing product already out on the market. The “vapor” aspect though was that usually the product didn’t exist beyond things like product mockups/vague details/etc. In the 80′s Microsoft was the prototypical example of this, releasing details about upcoming versions of MS-DOS/etc. that weren’t really in the works at the time, but was enough to get people to re-consider buying competing products like DR-DOS. Usually MS eventually did come out with something to match the “vaporware” though.

Since then, vaporware has come to be a bit more broad as a term. A product can actually exist, but people will refer to it as vaporware anyway if it isn’t actually available for purchase on the market. So now it is not so crazy to refer to something like the Volt as “vaporware”, since although it clearly exists (and isn’t just a set of mockups/etc.), it isn’t something that someone can buy – but it has some of the same benefits of vaporware, in the sense that people might hold off buying another vehicle because they are waiting for the Volt.

I’d be more than happy to see vaporware go back to being a fairly specific term for when a company releases details of a product they haven’t really done any work on yet, with the express purpose of getting people to avoid buying a competing product.

Jan 11th, 2009 (1:33 pm)

“Cadillac Converj Extended-Range Electric Vehicle”

= “Kadillak Konverj Xtnd-Ranj Elekrk VehicL” (c) 2009

Isn’t that clever? Please send check. :)

D Lo

D Lo

Jan 11th, 2009 (1:34 pm)

If Voltec–I like the new name–requires a high price point to recoup the development costs then having a premium brand to command a higher sale point inherently makes sense. I’ve been a huge fan of the Volt since inception, but, the price was advertised at less than $30k. That is pretty pricey for a Chevy–let alone a Chevy car. Tack on 25% and you are talking Cadillac. And now, thats what GM is talking. This is perfect and even more practical than the Volt. I hope they speed this to production–it has the potential to defray the costs of lower-end mass-market models. GM is on a roll, IMO.

In fact, it wouldn’t surprise me to see a Caddy voltec command TRIPLE the market share as the Volt voltec because of the price dynamic (i.e. Volt may represent 5% of all new family car sales while CONVERJ represents 15% of luxury car sales during similar period)

Jan 11th, 2009 (1:36 pm)

#50 TomHandy said “Personally I don’t think it’s quite fair to refer to a concept car like this new Cadillac as “vaporware”, since it is a bit different – No-one is under any illusions about what a concept car is, and I don’t think it has quite the same impact as a promised production product that just isn’t available for sale yet.”
    ==============================================

Thank you for the thoughtful post. Having read it, I agree.

CDAVIS

CDAVIS

Jan 11th, 2009 (1:37 pm)

_____________________________________________________
    Bob Lutz above says:

…”could look like”?

How about a “will look like”?
    Fisker will beat GM/Cadillac to the “will” with the 2010 available Fisker Karma http://www.fiskerautomotive.com . Fisker will be using a GM ICE for the range extender therefore GM is somewhat participating in a 2010 EREV luxury car launch.

I have become a big fan of the GM Volt Program (except for the taxpayer bailout/loan part). I very much desire to see GM succeed with both the GM Chevy Volt and the Volt EREV technology being extended to other GM lines such as the above “concept” Cadillac Converj. I give GM credit for all it has accomplished thus far with the Volt Program. The Volt Program has also given much needed inspiration to other automakers. But I’m concerned about GM’s ability to compete with smaller upstarts that are demonstrating their ability to develop quicker than GM. GM needs to keep in mind that small CA technology related upstarts have a deep history of growing large and becoming serious competitors. A Tesla Motors producing 150 EVs in 2008, 800 EVs in 2009 (projected), may prove to be capable of producing 10,000 EVs in 2011, 20,000 EVs in 2012, etc…

EVs will be evaluated by consumers more along the lines of an electric appliance (like a computer) and therefore the market will not support the slower “concept”/”could look like” long development life cycles that the traditional larger automakers are more familiar with.

______________________________________________________
    Electric Cars + Nuclear Power = American Energy Independence!
    ______________________________________________________

Bobbie

Bobbie

Jan 11th, 2009 (1:42 pm)

It looks great (NOW) – but so did the VOLT before the watered down version-at this point with GM I’m in a watch and wait mode-with all changes to the mainstream boring styling, I may end up putting my saved VOLT money on the Camaro!

Gas Electric Volt

Gas Electric Volt

Jan 11th, 2009 (1:47 pm)

Isn’t this the one that should cost $40 grand ?

Lurtz

Lurtz

Jan 11th, 2009 (2:02 pm)

#44 RB: “It’s just a concept car. Once burned, twice shy.”

Except the concept Cadillac actually resembles existing Cadillac design cues (tall squared-off taillights with the “torn corner”, exaggerated ground line, low roof), yet has a family resemblance to the production Volt.

KUD

KUD

Jan 11th, 2009 (2:02 pm)

#32 Tagamet

It = the Caddy, I love Coupes, prefer a Convertible, but a coupe would do

jkh2000

jkh2000

Jan 11th, 2009 (2:06 pm)

Another GM screw up. Don’t bother focusing on the Volt and smaller more efficient cars when you can use bailout money for the Hog Vehicle. Has anyone got a spare pair of rear view mirrors to send to Ricky Wagonner to help him pull his head out of his ass? I believe that America is ready to dump the Hog Vehicle for something that does good things for the environment and our dependance on foreign oil. True these Hogs get better mileage, but at what cost? Boycott GM and see where they get. I was all against the bailout to start with because of poor management.

Too Late to Save DET

Too Late to Save DET

Jan 11th, 2009 (2:08 pm)

My Mini lease expires in October 2009, so afer three years of waiting, I’ll not be able to wait for a Volt. It is really sorry how slow things change in the Motor City mindset .Sorry, by 2010 GM will be a shell of itself and unable to finance this overdue car.

OzoneLevel

OzoneLevel

Jan 11th, 2009 (2:08 pm)

OK, sign me up for one…

keith

keith

Jan 11th, 2009 (2:10 pm)

It looks fantastic. If they can get it produced, I would definitely buy one. This would be a great upscale choice to the Volt.

DaV8or

DaV8or

Jan 11th, 2009 (2:15 pm)

This is much closer to the car I really want. I like the back and mid section, but not so much the front. I’ve never been a fan of the “art and science” design language they’ve been using over at Cadillac. Obviously it’s popular, just not my thing. Also this car suffers much the same as the current Volt concept in that for aerodynamic reasons, the nose has a bulbous, rounded front. Not very appealing IMO. Guys like me will have to wait until batteries get better or we can build our own. The wind tunnel does mean things to cars.

Casey

Casey

Jan 11th, 2009 (2:43 pm)

With all this competition between the auto makers of EVs, by the time they do finally come out (chry. says 2013) (GM Volt 2011)(who knows about Ford) they should have most of the bugs worked out because they are doing it them selves, by not letting us purchase any of them to give them real world situations things could take a long time to work right.

The Cad. is really nice (and expensive) but Tesla is already here.
    If GM would just get the Volt out to the public, the rest could come too.

These things are just for the rich, and there’s more non-rich people in the world than rich people, so if you want to sell a lot of cars to get us off oil dependency you gotta make a lot of cars that lesser rich people can afford, of just a few rich people will be running around in, not the masses. and nobody but Tiger Woods wants to run around in a Golf Cart

Its going to be a long time before a nice family car (EV) comes out for the average Joe, so in the meantime just keep your old car and don’t buy new gas cars make em make EVs

NO PLUG NO SALE, LJGTVWOTR, DBNGCMEMEV, (my house)=D~~~(my volt #33,772

Joe

Joe

Jan 11th, 2009 (2:43 pm)

It’s a stunning looking car. The sooner it comes out, the better.

Alex S

Alex S

Jan 11th, 2009 (3:10 pm)

Oh my GOD!!!!
    This car is looking better than any car on earth! Luxury and sport in the same car.
    AWESOME!!!

Jan 11th, 2009 (3:16 pm)

#57 Lurtz said “The concept Volt just looked like Syd Mead went on a peyote bender. Transparent panels on the door? The wheelbase of a pickup? Nearly-meter-diameter wheels? Dude. The concept Volt looked like the Homer Simpson travesty.”
    —————————————————————-

Perhaps for you that was the case, but not for me. It also must not have been true for millions of others, or the pictures of the concept Volt would not have been shown on so many GM videos. I think GM found that people liked the concept and remembered it.

To me the appearance of the production Volt is fine but not distinctive. In any event, the standing of the production Volt is not made greater by hurling insults at the many people who liked the appearance of the Volt concept.

Maybe the Cadillak Converj is really the car created by Boniface et al to be the production Volt, before GM found that the Volt was going to be too expensive to be a high-volume Chevy-branded car and commanded that the Volt be a Cruze sibling. If instead the production Volt had looked like the Converj, many of us would have said “yes evolution but still a memorable car”.

As it is, perhaps a few Volts will be produced and forgotten. Then GM will transition “Voltec” (a really awkward wordlet) into the Convergj as their main E-REV offering, until they can find a way to build E-REV more cheaply.

koz

koz

Jan 11th, 2009 (3:37 pm)

Very nice! I know it wouldn’t look as good but I would prefer it in 4-door. I think we can take Lutz at his word here that the Converj has “production substance.” At least on the surface, this looks a lot more producable than the Volt concept. Plus the powertrain specs are basically the same as the production Volt. This is a little dissappointing but certainly easier to produce than using the Volt’s design tweaked with a higher power traction motor (a more sellable option for this Caddy IMO). Of course conventional rear view and side mirrors will need to replace the cameras along with some other tweaks in order for this to become production intent. I could also do without all of the neon blue backlighting in the interior. Given the added cost of an EREV and many other curent events and the way this concept is presented, I would be very surprised if it was not put into production (as long as GM is in business in 3 years). Please offer it in coupe and 4 door.

Jan 11th, 2009 (3:45 pm)

Wow, this new GM Converj concept vehicle looks pretty cool. From the side, it looks a bit like a Ferrari. This is just a concept car though. I bet cars like this Converj will be VERY popular with the higher income crowd like in California. I can visualize a LOT of Hollywood folks getting cars like the Converj.

However … like the Volt concept, it will probably end up looking a good bit different once it becomes a production car for the showrooms. Don’t get me wrong, I think this is fairly nice looking concept car but I think it would be great if GM went with exterior designs that look a bit like this Mazda6 concept car. I think this Mazda6 concept car looks AWESOME. Stunning. Cool. A gotta have it if I can afford it kind of car.

I particularly like the front end: http://www.carbodydesign.com/gallery/2008/07/21-mazda6-design/8/

I think GM needs to get more creative with some of their FRONT END designs. Especially with the headlight and grill designs. I think the front end design is critical. People don’t admit it, but they get often buy more for the looks of the car more than the technology under the hood. That’s the reality. You want the Cadillac line of cars to look a little bit similar but not TOO MUCH. They don’t all need to have the vertical headlight designs like with the CTS and other Cadillacs.

I like the smaller, more subdued grills like on the 2009 Camry or the 2009 Mazda6. I like the front end of the Aston Martin V12 Vantage RS Concept. Maybe even NO grille at all like on the Ferrari F430.

Folks, there are some absolutely AMAZING automobiles coming out in the next few years. Stunning new electrification technologies and exterior/interior designs. I want GM to design THE best looking exteriors and interiors in the auto industry in the next 10-20 years.

Jan 11th, 2009 (3:52 pm)

As in the above post, here’s some pictures of exterior designs I like, since I can’t seem to put more than 2 links in each post at a time:

Aston Martin V12 Vantage RS Concept:

Ferrari F430:

mike d

mike d

Jan 11th, 2009 (4:01 pm)

EXCELLENT!! LOOKS REAL GOOD!

Dale

Dale

Jan 11th, 2009 (4:12 pm)

I would buy one – just let me put in 2 sets of golf clubs

Looks like the CTS coupe – slightly smaller version – get into production ASAP

Voltec should also go into the new SRX

Scott Mc

Scott Mc

Jan 11th, 2009 (4:12 pm)

Let’s hope GM wants to stay in business bad enough they will actually bring a car this nice looking into production, instead of more of the same old same old looks and instead of the bait a switch they pulled with the looks of the Volt (concept was cool looking, then the production was released and it is so blaaaa looking I have decided not to purchase one based on looks alone. Call me vain, but I am vain with disposable income).

I would not mind buying one of these (never thought I’d WANT TO own a Cadillac) but …
    I will O N L Y want to buy one if they keep it looking like this.

If GM pulls another stunt on this car like they did with the looks of the Volt ..,
    I will be V E R Y disappointed.

If GM wants to stay in business they need to put not only innovation into production under the hood but also innovative looks into production as well.

Looks aren’t everything … but they sure help … let’s hope GM is looking to stay in business.

Jan 11th, 2009 (4:15 pm)

Here’s some other angles of the new Converj.

I think GM is definitely on the right track with this car … and it will have Volt technology. :) I’m kind of picky though. I want GM to have some huge bestselling cars in the next 10 years. They need all the cool looking, award winning cars they can get. The competition is going to be fierce. GM needs to really work hard on their exteriors and interiors … hire the best designers they can get their hands on. Give them big bonuses or something if they design really good ones that go on to be bestsellers and get good reviews.

Frank B

Frank B

Jan 11th, 2009 (4:21 pm)

Don’t let GM fool you again. This is just another switch and bait with a great great concept car and a yawner production model. But it sounds like the majority of comments here are falling for lie Again!

Felix P

Felix P

Jan 11th, 2009 (4:21 pm)

Very nice design, now let’s see the production version without the character like you’ve done with the Volt. Lurtz’s reference that the Volt looked like it was designed by Syd Mead is ridiculous. Show me the Volt in Bladerunner or any of his work. The Volt was not THAT much of an imaginative stretch. More evidence GM management is not willing to take risks.

BTW, what’s Cadillac about this design? The size, features, and proportions look more like a Toyota Celica or Mitsubishi Eclipse sports coupe. The low seating, swept back windshield, and small cabin don’t translate to luxury, IMO. Why try to change the Cadillac image when you have so many other models more appropriate for this drivetrain? You may as well produce an electric Hummer. If you want to satisfy your wealthier customers then build an electric Corvette cheaper than the Tesla roadster.

MarkyMark

MarkyMark

Jan 11th, 2009 (4:25 pm)

I would sell my house and live in a trailer to buy this car,I said the same thing about the original Volt.Guess what GM???????NPNS.If its 2011 and no Volt,then I’m naming you guys GMEESTOR,put that in your little pipe and smoke it.GM stop talking the talk and walk the walk……this is your life and the lifestyle of the American people.We are tired of buying oil from people that want to kill us……….

Dave K.  =D~

Dave K. =D~

Jan 11th, 2009 (4:38 pm)

You have to give GM credit for not simply hunkering down in a very tough environment. With GM’s plan to steadily introduce “winners” and to phase out “losers” they still have a chance to grow and to possibly thrive.

Offering economy with the low end Spark. Middle grade Cruze. Upper grade Volt. And high end Caddy and Buick is a formidable lineup.

Add the throw back Camaro, the affordable sport Sky, The affordable and comfortable family Malibu and the economy minded family plug-in Vue.

Good going GM. And my personal thanks for having the guts to make a true daily driver electric car. The Chevy Volt.

=D~

Floridagirl

Floridagirl

Jan 11th, 2009 (4:44 pm)

This is what is called “Saving Grace”, GM.

Move forward with this, if at all possible — and soon. Keep the look just the way it is, with the Cadillac reputation, it’s money in bank.

We’ve put our names on several waiting lists for the volt, but THIS is what we will buy.

My grandmother always bought a Caddy, and with a car like this, I’ll be following in her footsteps!

We want to keep our money in the United States! Give us a good reason to do so!

Bryce

Bryce

Jan 11th, 2009 (4:49 pm)

The Standard of the World returns!

vincent

vincent

Jan 11th, 2009 (4:50 pm)

Another fantastic and beautiful execution.
    Just don’t kill it when it’s produced. That is a winner my friends. Do not change ANYTHING!
    Anyone listening. Wagner turn up your hearing aid or get a new one pal.
    Prove your worth for once.

Lurtz

Lurtz

Jan 11th, 2009 (4:59 pm)

#67 RB

I totally agree.

Paragraph #3 especially (the “too expensive” to produce bit).

Duane

Duane

Jan 11th, 2009 (5:03 pm)

Everyone, don’t get your hopes up . . . this looks amazing right now, but so did the Volt when that concept car was introduced . . . now it looks nothing like the concept car and I doubt this Cad will either. It’s a shame because I really liked the Volt concept car, now that I’ve seen it, it’s pretty hard to swallow that price tag for that car. :-(

Jan 11th, 2009 (5:14 pm)

My very first impression …. except for the headlight (and tail light) design, I think this car looks pretty darn good. I saw it on the video again from Lyle’s earlier post.

Bottom line, I think this car will probably be popular. This car will definitely be noticed when you see it on the road. The usual Cadillac luxury and prestige plus the latest and greatest high tech electric car technology on the planet. You’ll definitely feel like you are driving a car from the movie “Back to the Future” and all that. :)

Start on the 21:00/29:09 minute to see the Converj.

Jake

Jake

Jan 11th, 2009 (5:21 pm)

This car looks HOT!

I have another idea as well. I want the Cadillac CTS Sport Wagon — as a Voltec Chevy! Like #41 Luke, I want utility rather than luxury. A slightly more versatile/rugged version of the CTS Sport Wagon could be a great vehicle for me. Cadillacs are nice, but I don’t need or want one. So, I’m all for the Converj concept, but I hope the next Voltec concept in the pipeline is more mainstream.

Jan 11th, 2009 (5:28 pm)

#81 Lurtz ==> Thanks!

ol hobbler

ol hobbler

Jan 11th, 2009 (5:29 pm)

Another egg has been laid by GM if this ever materializes. Why not design an electric Hummer and Escalade. I know this is another show car that will never see the light of day. It is so out of step with the times that it’s laughable. GM cannot stay in business producing such eye candy. Make decent small cars, electric and gas and i dont mean importing more Daewoos.

Jan 11th, 2009 (5:37 pm)

Tag #4:

The Volt is scheduled for production. I am sure that the design freeze point has already been reached for the exterior and interior. The software people are probably still working like mad to get all the integration features finished up, and I would asume that the battery people are still testing continuously to make sure there are no big surprises.

But the Volt is hardly the end of the line for design of E-REV type vehicles. So why not start the design teams now on the next generation of vehicles? If they use the Volt’s E-REV platform, it should take quite a bit less time to get the next vehicle on the road, don’t you think?

Start of rant:

To everyone else complaining that the Volt is taking so long: GM said late 2010, when it was announced. They are still saying 2010. So what is the problem? The fact that YOU want it NOW, does not change the fact that it takes quite a bit of time to design, test and build a new car, especially one with all this new technology…

And saying Tesla is beating GM is kind of funny. Lets not forget that they are building a BEV, which is quite a bit easier than an E-REV design, with all the added complexities it brings to the design table. And still they have only produced a handfull of vehicles that cost over $100K! If GM did that, you would all be screaming bloody murder!!!!

As far as not announcing a price for any of the new E-REV or BEV cars, can you blame them? They screwed up bad with the Volt, and do not want to repeat that mistake……….

End of rant – Sorry….

IMHO the Caddy is a fantastic looking car. And you could put me on the list for that one. But so is the Dodge Circuit concept. It looks like a cross between the Stealth (which I owned) and the Viper. But it is a BEV, so that kind of kills it for me. Plus, my absolute highest price point for any car is around $50K, so I doubt that either of those would ever be available to me as a new car. That does not mean that I think they should not be built. It is just a simple statement that I could not afford it.

Does anyone know if any of these vehicles will be shown at the Cleveland auto show???

Jan 11th, 2009 (5:43 pm)

I just found some more pics and I just had to post them. Please GM, hire the exterior designer at Aston Martin who designed the Aston Martin V12 Vantage RS Concept! The designer did a beautiful job with this car. IMHO … this is the coolest looking car in the world these days. It has just the right “look” for the front end. Hell, the whole car too. James Bond would LOVE this new Aston. :)

Jan 11th, 2009 (6:03 pm)

GM should try to get the top speed of this new Converj up to 120 mph instead of 100 mph for the Volt. 0-60 mph in 7 seconds for the Converj would be great. This is 2 door sports sedan kind of car you know. If anyone at GM can get more performance out of the Converj it’s Bob Lutz. They don’t call him “Maximum Bob” for no good reason. :)

Schmeltz

Schmeltz

Jan 11th, 2009 (6:27 pm)

Stunning! Now here’s a car that I think few will argue doesn’t justify the premium. Excellent job GM! Bring it!

Jan 11th, 2009 (6:57 pm)

Can anyone confirm if those are solar cells on the roof?

Alan

Alan

Jan 11th, 2009 (7:38 pm)

It’s about time US auto manufacturers come up with nice designs, I will stop buying imports and buy a US made cars in 2010. However the quality must be up to par with the Japanese auto makers. Our cars have to, and must be as bullet proff as the foreign automakers. If not, consumer confidence will fade faster than a sushi hand roll.

Max

Max

Jan 11th, 2009 (7:50 pm)

Blah, Blah, Blah! I have heard all of this inflated we support GM crud before..”Look-Out GM is Back.” Are you kidding me, GM is not back, they are BROKE. They are broke because of crud like this concept. This is yet another sleek and sexy concept that will end-up nothing more than an overpriced Mitsubishi Eclipse (Remember the Citation). This is the same BULL!%@$ they did when they released the VOLY concept. WHen all was said and done, they ended up with an overpriced Prius that could only manage 30 miles on a charge. What happended to sleek and sexy Volt everyone loved, GM advertised, but could not deliver. SO go ahead and put the blinder back on, and ask to be put on the waiting list (blah, blah, blah), but don’t be surprised when GM begins back peddling. If they build it, ti will neverlive up to the hype, and will cost you 70k+ in the end. Wake-up GM and invest in a bit of reality and humility.

Adrian

Adrian

Jan 11th, 2009 (8:17 pm)

Just what a Caddy should look like… though the new Enterprise interior is weird at first glance. I guess someone really liked the latest trailer…

tim-the-dreamer

tim-the-dreamer

Jan 11th, 2009 (8:19 pm)

Awsome. If you want to say this is the 21st century then look here.
    The concept volt said power and atitude.
    The production model is more stremlined, pretty, practical, and has an internal layout that strangely reminds me of anime movies that depict futuristic vehicles in a spacefaring society.
    This cadi externally says cadi but the interior is really telling me to strap in and hit the warp drive baby. Does that sound weird to anyone besides me? Or does it mean that somewhere in the back of my empty skull there’s an engine starting to rev?

Jack  Schranz

Jack Schranz

Jan 11th, 2009 (8:36 pm)

They must price it right

Steve

Steve

Jan 11th, 2009 (8:40 pm)

I hope that GM makes it …. (both meanings)
    Time for folks to get Solar Panels on their Roofs.
    I have 9920 watts of Panels …. and now drive a Plug In Prius (license plate “Plug In”)
    But I have a license plate which says “Volt” on my old Geo just to
    be ready.
    We need these cars now ….

HyperMiler

HyperMiler

Jan 11th, 2009 (8:51 pm)

JEC

JEC

Jan 11th, 2009 (8:53 pm)

C O N C E P T.

jscott1000

jscott1000

Jan 11th, 2009 (9:03 pm)

I hate to admit but this car is vaporware…

The pictures of the interior are computer generated. The final vehicle, (if it were built) would look no more like this than the concept Volt looks like the final vehicle.

For decades, designers have been making sleek concepts that have no basis in reality, (sleek chop tops, ridiculously small side mirrors, extremely large wheels, etc). When will you folks stop being fooled by concepts?

Chris

Chris

Jan 11th, 2009 (9:06 pm)

I’d be willing to purchase this if they can keep the price reasonable.

xed

xed

Jan 11th, 2009 (9:07 pm)

Sorry to be a downer but there should be a law that says “you can’t do a concept launch of a vehicle that is based on another vehicle that isn’t even for sale yet.”

With that being said I’m glad that GM is very “into” the whole EREV thing and they can paper launch a million concept cars with fancy rims but it won’t matter squat until I can walk into a dealership and buy a Volt. I know this is nothing but marketing but I think these dollars could have been better spent on the Volt.

Julie

Julie

Jan 11th, 2009 (9:08 pm)

If the Pontiac brand survives the government-mandated restructuring of GM, perhaps they will come out with a Voltec-powered car with the styling and handling of a Pontiac.

Or I can get a jump on my 50′s and buy the new Caddie before I actually turn 50. Either way, I’m starting to see choices, and choices is good.

Brad Horton

Brad Horton

Jan 11th, 2009 (9:11 pm)

Awesome car. But uh, the current projected price of the VOLT is to be in the range of current Cadillacs. Is this thing going to cost as much as an escalade, and be smaller than a CTS?

Red HHR

Red HHR

Jan 11th, 2009 (9:20 pm)

Whoa-thud…

Pardon me, I think I just fainted,,, Please pass the smelling salts.

Let me come too… Breath in, now exhale. Breath in, exhale.

Now count to ten. 1, 2, 3,… Begin to think.

Wow…

Nice car for the plant manager. That thing is going to be hot!

Now GM should sell a few thousand Volts to us GM-Volt fans at a price that we can afford, then GM could check that they not blow up under normal usage. Yes I would be willing to pay a reasonable price to be a first generation beta tester. GM then can sell the Caddy version for what the market will bear. It would be a financially viable way for GM to pay back the BIG loan. Then in 5-10years there will be enough “Volt-Tech” that we all could afford one. The only way to buy a Volt in the next couple years will be to know somebody, If you want to just buy a Electric car it will have to be the Caddy…

The Volt is just a test bed for the Caddy!

Red HHR (With my buddy Lyle)

Jim B

Jim B

Jan 11th, 2009 (9:33 pm)

My question is this – will GM bastardize the final product on the Cadillac Converj like they did on the Volt? I was excited to put my name on a waiting list and couldn’t wait to get my hands on a Volt, and then it was introduced as what looked like an electric Malibu. NO WONDER EVERYONE IS GOING FOREIGN!!

Shane

Shane

Jan 11th, 2009 (9:40 pm)

I love it… EXCEPT… The GM bureaucrats will destroy this awesome concept, just as they did for the Volt. Nothing great ever comes out of a committee.

John

John

Jan 11th, 2009 (9:48 pm)

Let’s hope they don’t Volt it and turn it into something tame and uninspired. This is the future car I would love to have, if they actually build it.

Redeye

Redeye

Jan 11th, 2009 (10:01 pm)

Nice car !
    Now GM can sell these beauties to the people with big $ and priced to make a good profit. Profit they need to survive.
    Then sell us poor people a few million Volts at a price we can afford.

Go GM make it work !

ARod

ARod

Jan 11th, 2009 (10:09 pm)

I hope the production version of this Cadillac does not turn into another Prius.

GM Volt Fan

Jan 11th, 2009 (10:18 pm)

In addition to the news that LG Chem got the contract to make the battery cells for the Volt, at least GM is going to manufacture the battery PACKS. GM is going to build their own battery pack manufacturing facility in Michigan somewhere.

“With the announcement, to be made during press preview days for the North American International Auto Show by Rick Wagoner, the company’s chairman and chief executive, G.M. becomes the first major automaker with a commitment to producing the advanced battery packs in the United States.

G.M. is also is expected to announce the opening of a new advanced-battery test facility at its global electric-vehicle engineering center in Warren, Mich.”

I particularly liked reading this:

“Assembling the Volt packs could be a stepping stone toward G.M.’s production of lithium battery CELLS in the United States, a move that would have even greater strategic impact for the domestic auto industry’s future, Mr. Smith said. G.M. now has two companies under contract to develop and test prototype lithium cells for the Volt: Massachusetts-based A123 Systems, which manufactures its cells in China, and Compact Power, Inc., which is owned by LG Chem.

“With pack assembly in Michigan as the first step for G.M., hopefully we’ll start to see a lot more activity on the CELL manufacturing side as well,” Mr. Smith said.

I’m hoping that GM’s new advanced-battery test facility in Warren is going to hire the best and the brightest in the scientific/engineering world to get some “super ultra mega batteries” (or supercapacitors) into everyone’s cars in the next 10 years. 100% electric, good performance, quick charging cars with 300+ miles or range. No “range extender” needed at all. No liquid/gaseous fuels needed. That would be awesome to say the least. I hope GM stays in REGULAR contact with the top researchers in academia like at MIT and Stanford. Stanford’s Li Cui is working on nanowire batteries and now MIT is working on “nanotube superbatteries”.

IT’S ALL GOOD. The more scientists and engineers involved the better. They are the pioneers in a REVOLUTION in transportation. Electrified cars are here to stay folks … and they’re going to evolve and get better and better every couple of years probably. I can’t wait til they get here. :)

Sure

Sure

Jan 11th, 2009 (10:34 pm)

The concept looks nice. But until it’s for sale on GM’s lot’s I will not buy an american made car. The oil companies hold a stock in our car manufactors… so this and anything else is a pipe dream unless we push legislation to pass a law to require that we finally make these cars.

Barry

Barry

Jan 11th, 2009 (10:57 pm)

This car is NICE! Its not very far from the current production CTS/LR so it should be very do-able. My guess is this will start at 65K or higher.

BillR

BillR

Jan 11th, 2009 (11:07 pm)

This car is absolutely gorgeous!

But there is something else here that I see that is important. The Volt is a small car based on the Delta II platform, the same platform as the Cruze.

However, check out the specs for the Opel Insignia.

It is based on the Epsilon II platform, a larger car platform, but still with FWD. Note the wheelbase of 107.8″, width of 73″, and overall length of 190″.

Now let’s look at the Cadillac Converj specs.

Note here again that the wheelbase is 108″, while width is 74″ and overall length is 182″. See the similarities with the Opel?

Therefore, not only does the Cadillac Converj use Voltec technology, it is designed on a larger and more upscale platform. Note that I believe that the new Buick LaCrosse is also on the Epsilon II platform. So besides the Converj, we may also see a Malibu or LaCrosse with Voltec technology in the future.

This is all good news!

Alex

Alex

Jan 12th, 2009 (12:00 am)

WOW !! GM should definately put this cadillac into production. This way, they get themselves out of bankruptsy and they change there reputation from being greedy and in bed with the oil companies in killing this planet, to innovative, creative and doin’ something to make this planet a better place. Everybody wins. I’ll actually say “good for you GM” when you actually release these cars, that is, if you’re not blowing smoke up America’s ass. I really hope you do the right thing GM.

KentT

KentT

Jan 12th, 2009 (12:16 am)

Lyle, could you put something in this article that tells us whether we are looking at an actual physical show car or is it totally computer generated?

The image of Lutz standing next to it makes me think it physically exists but is it?

darrylnvi

darrylnvi

Jan 12th, 2009 (12:31 am)

Sign me up! I was waiting for the Volt but will immediately upgrade to the Converj if for no other reason than to help get to the point where we can tell OPEC to “eat their oil”!

Bob G

Bob G

Jan 12th, 2009 (12:51 am)

I’ll hold off on my opinion, until after I see what the final product looks like.
    Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me!
    When they get done with it, it’ll probably look like the Volt, with Caddy badging.
    86 the fake grille! It’s stupid! Get a clue!

Scott T

Scott T

Jan 12th, 2009 (2:16 am)

I was looking forward to buying a Volt, given the styling of the auto show concept. Now the Volt looks more like an electric Malibu! I can only imagine what the Cadillac will look like once it finally comes out.

Whaley

Whaley

Jan 12th, 2009 (5:48 am)

So far this is an appealling ride, I hope the production vehical still looks this good, after all yoiu see what they did to the Volt.

Barney

Barney

Jan 12th, 2009 (6:49 am)

Beautiful car, stupid name.

marc

marc

Jan 12th, 2009 (6:55 am)

Any one here remember the Cimeran.(sp) the cavalier inspired caddy.

do you really think that GM planned this car to and EV from the start…no, they are putting out a small vehicle to compete with the smaller 1 series BMW, C series Mercedes…and the small luxo asian cars. to make it easier for folks to jump from the chevys, pontiacs buicks (Ie smaller price gap) into the luxury car

All GM has done and say it will have a “EV powertrain”

And still not even a decent hybrid on the market from any of the big three…….

Sigh…Hope springs eternal…but being realistic…

Brad

Brad

Jan 12th, 2009 (7:09 am)

“Just remember – this is a conceprt car. At this point, it’s only purpose is to gauge market reaction. If market reaction to the Cadillac Converj isn’t strong, then GM won’t go forward with a production version of this car.”

Or, just like the volt… they will change the production version so much it is unrecognizable from that awsome car you gaze at on the screen. After the volt, I stopped getting excited about concept cars… they NEVER look like that. This one will end up looking blah (kinda like the volt) when all things are said and done.

Rodney

Rodney

Jan 12th, 2009 (7:14 am)

The Cadillac concept car is very nice, sleek, and with beautiful lines.Problem is: this design will be drasticly modified and will not look anything like the mock up. That’s to bad. You fall in love with the concept car and you get a final design that looks nothing like the production model. Look at the original “Volt” concept and compare that with the production model….What a let down….

pt109

pt109

Jan 12th, 2009 (7:47 am)

Ok people please take off the rose colored glasses and start looking at what GM is doing. The original concept for the volt looked quite a bit like this and I bet you dollars to doughnuts that what happened is some greedy @#$ said, “We can get huge dollars for a car that looks that cool. Lets NOT make that mass consumer model lets move that design to the caddy division and demand huge bucks.” So dems that gotz money getz the cool looking cars while the masses get the shaft again.

dave

dave

Jan 12th, 2009 (8:09 am)

the volt once looked like this also, dose the erev’s future hold the same ending?

128. [...] Source. [...]

Skeptical

Skeptical

Jan 12th, 2009 (8:41 am)

I am truly excited that the car companies are finally doing something about energy conservation. It is thirty years late, but the demand has been built up from last year’s gas prices and who knows what OPEC will decide this coming year. Consumer fear has created this car(s) because GM can now make a great profit from it. I see your blogs indicating that you would be willing to paying twice as much as a gas burning car. Why? Does it cost twice as much to build or is this just the latest and greatest toy for the public? Also, does anyone know what kind of upkeep goes along with these types of cars? If you have to replace the battery, would it be more cost effective to buy a new car? Maybe not if the car was priced at 80k; however, we are still in a throw-away society.

Yes, I am a little ticked about the bail-out and have my personnel opinions on what GM should have done to correct it vice panhandling from the government. None of us can change the past and I hope that GM does not create a Volt car that looses its pricing conduit.

Shawn Marshall

Shawn Marshall

Jan 12th, 2009 (8:43 am)

A beautiful concept! Ya gotta get started somewhere & Caddy does have the market to price it out appropriately and get the developments paid for and then move the innovations down the food chain to the second generation EREVs in the rest of the line up. Just the way things used to work before GM got the Volt cart in front of the horse.

As regards the minimum price on oil – we need a tariff on FOREIGN oil only to set a base price and encourage domestic production of both oil and alternative fuels; proceeds to go directly to American manufacturers of cars and batteries so that the government can’t waste it.

Marty Moorehead

Marty Moorehead

Jan 12th, 2009 (8:52 am)

another promise broken like the volt. bring out a car that looks cool and then say ” we want to keep price under 30k”,,,then produce a jelly bean and hipe up the costs… i am for the first time in my adult life writing off Detroit ( my Detroit auto mfg ) this is why you are in trouble..make only what you want..then try to ram it down our throats…fair well big three..and buy the way …when will you pay back us american citizrens? no checks cash only

Jan 12th, 2009 (9:08 am)

#129 Skeptical Says: “Does it cost twice as much to build or is this just the latest and greatest toy for the public? Also, does anyone know what kind of upkeep goes along with these types of cars? If you have to replace the battery, would it be more cost effective to buy a new car?”
    ————————————————————————————–
    Yes, new technology tends to be more expensive when it is introduced. As mass production kicks in, it gets cheaper to build, and hence cheaper to buy. But there are early adopters willing to pay more for the latest technology.

Upkeep on EREVs should be less than a regular gas engine car. Since the gas engine runs much less, perhaps only 20% of your mileage, oil changes would be less frequent. There’s also no rubber belt on the gas engine to worry about. The air conditioning, power steering, and water pumps are electric, and the generator (a.k.a. alternator) is connected directly to the gas engine drive shaft.

The battery has a 10-year, 150,000 mile warranty, so replacing the battery is generally not a consumer expense. Bob Lutz said initially that 2 batteries were built into the price over every Volt, but then later he said that battery testing for wear was much better than they expected, so most cars should go for 10 years with 1 battery.

Steve W

Steve W

Jan 12th, 2009 (9:22 am)

If the Volts price is going to be $40,000 plus options, plus added dealer markup…the Caddie will be $60,000-$70,000 or better plus, plus.

Sure glad to see so many here have the means and willingness to pay that kind of cash for wheels. Indicates that all this talk about a recession is just a conspiracy. Or maybe the recession will be so far gone by 2011 we’ll all be rich enough to fork over half a mortgage for driving excitement.

I’m buoyed with renewed hope.

Skeptical

Skeptical

Jan 12th, 2009 (9:43 am)

#133: well said Steve.

I just want to throw one more thought out there for you. Even with the bailout money that GM is receiving, they are indicating that they are not sure if they can make it. They are praying that someone will buy their SAAB division. Are you willing to invest 30k – 80k on a car that the company may or may not be around to back up……. I wish I could be as optimistic as Steve is buoyed. I do wish hope floats and the volt does not sink.

Adam

Adam

Jan 12th, 2009 (10:34 am)

haha, well you can bet that converj won’t look anything like that by the time their finished destroying this concept. Don’t get to enthusiastic about this folks, or they’ll do what they did to the Volt– make it butt-ass ugly so no one wants one.

k-dawg

k-dawg

Jan 12th, 2009 (10:40 am)

101 jscott1000 Says:

I hate to admit but this car is vaporware…

——————-
    For non-CGI photos go here. Or I can take some pics for you this Saturday when i’m at the show.

Also, its already been noted that this car has been designed w/the lessons learned from the Volt aerodynamics.

Buy hey.. keep on trolling.

Ken Grubb

Ken Grubb

Jan 12th, 2009 (11:02 am)

Well, I really do want to see everything evolve to HEVs, PHEVs, E-REVs and EVs. I had just hoped the early offerings would be targeted at the masses.

Daniel Rice

Daniel Rice

Jan 12th, 2009 (11:09 am)

I hope the final product looks like the concept and doesn’t go through dumbing down like the Volt has.

I don’t suppose this will release in Nov, 2010 along side the Volt?

Seconding:
    ______________________________________________________
    Electric Cars + Nuclear Power = American Energy Independence!
    ______________________________________________________

Jan 12th, 2009 (11:27 am)

Now wealthy customers can make a decision to spend money on a $40,000 Volt or up grade to the new Cadillac Converj. That is a good decision to make. GM will probably sell all of them they can make. They just won’t make as many. This is a good expansion of Voltec technology, but not the way I would like to see it go. I would still like it to be in a broader range of consumer vehicles to enable more modest customers to be able to afford one.

Jan 12th, 2009 (11:29 am)

It seems GM has designed a vehicle that already meets the wind tunnel test requirements to get that 40 mpc. That means the production model should look pretty much like the concept. Too bad they didn’t do the same for the Volt. But, again, GM never though the Volt would be the hit it was and is.

RealityCheque

RealityCheque

Jan 12th, 2009 (11:29 am)

Huh? What’s that? “The fast track to electrification of transport is with established mass manufacturers?”

NO! Don’t say that! It can’t be true! I thought it should be done by low cost third world buggy builders.

“But high end cars with Voltec will only make the people with money feel good about themselves.”

And us poor slobs feel like… well, I’ll say it: Losers!

PriceCheck

PriceCheck

Jan 12th, 2009 (12:29 pm)

You guys do realize this thing is going to cost a mint and a half right? I’ll stick with my Volt, If I can even afford that by the time it comes out.

David Owen

David Owen

Jan 12th, 2009 (12:57 pm)

Great Looking Car, if it is around $50k sign me up. This is one cool looking looking electric car.

noel park

noel park

Jan 12th, 2009 (1:12 pm)

#4 Tagamet:

Amen.

10-88

NHRABill

NHRABill

Jan 12th, 2009 (1:21 pm)

Very nice i knew they were holding out….

I wonder how many billion they sunk into trying to advance the world to the next generation of transportation

Way to go GM

Yvonne Gunn

Yvonne Gunn

Jan 12th, 2009 (1:31 pm)

LOVE IT, WOULD LOVE TO BUY IT IF THE LOOKS WOULDN’T CHANGE LIKE THE CHEV VOLT DID…
    I HOPE CONCEPT TURNS INTO REALITY.

KEEP THE GREAT IDEAS AND DESIGNS COMING GM.

I’M WAITING FOR ONE TO STICK SO I CAN BUY…

Gary

Gary

Jan 12th, 2009 (1:42 pm)

Nice design but I don’t expect it for under 50. Out of the price range for most of us. Current Cadilac offerings basically start at 40. Add in a battery pack and such and and you’re easily over 50. And that assumes this doesn’t compare agains the other coupe (XLR) that is closer to 80 starting price.

David Ranger

David Ranger

Jan 12th, 2009 (1:46 pm)

Again I’m disappointed in GM. This would not beat the Tesla even if it did exist. Not at 40 miles on a charge. A company like GM should produce more than just sketches. At this point GM should have a card at least twice as good as a Tesla for half the money. I for one believe the oil companies are driving GM and not their President. It’s too bad for GM that my next fleet change will be going to Toyota.

I is cool but I can’t drive a picture.

Jan 12th, 2009 (1:51 pm)

This new Cadillac is a great looking car, but I wonder what doodoo head though up the name. Stupid! I guess it is just a made up name. I wonder how much testing GM did with the name to focus groups? None, probably.

gregmhtd

gregmhtd

Jan 12th, 2009 (2:20 pm)

New Caddy looks great, as did the volt concept did. I hope GM leaves the design close to concept and not give me a big let down as they did with the volt production final.

Gene Knighton

Gene Knighton

Jan 12th, 2009 (2:47 pm)

Lets not get too excited. Remember what happen when the Chevy Volt was introduced? As a concept car it looked amazing. Then the production model revealed itself and it looked like every other car on the highway

Jerome

Jerome

Jan 12th, 2009 (2:47 pm)

Love this car. Price it right (on the Caddy scale) and I’m in. As a one car family, I can sell this car to my wife much more readily than the Volt.

FJH

FJH

Jan 12th, 2009 (3:40 pm)

Man that car is hot hot hot. About *&^% time GM wake the hell up! Take me off the Volt waiting list for this beaut. I’m not joking. Wasn’t that thrilled to be driving a Chevy anyhow unless its a ‘Vette or a Silverado. Okay call me a snub or whatever, but it is what it is (i.e.,35-40k) for a Chevy volt?!

I’m serious place me on the Caddy wait list. I only wish it were all wheel drive. Might hang on to my A6 Audi at this rate. Oh regarding the other comment about its looks changing, well this incorporated the aerodynamics from the start. Appears GM has learned its lesson, and won’t disappoint again from it concept car to the production again

truthguy

truthguy

Jan 12th, 2009 (4:26 pm)

I don’t know how this car is going to turn out but the pictures are stunning. If this doesn’t make your definition of cool then I don’t know what would.

Altazi

Altazi

Jan 12th, 2009 (4:37 pm)

Four seats and two doors? Who wants to hunch down and crawl into the back over a folded front-row seat? If you have two rows of seating, please put doors in for each row. Besides, those doors look too long to open fully in today’s narrow parking spots. Style over substance doesn’t fly with me.

Engineer

Engineer

Jan 12th, 2009 (5:52 pm)

I would definitely buy this over the VOLT; just because I love 2 doors and I love my Cadillac. So its a match made in heaven.

I also think this being a Cadillac I could justify the price.

Rob Case

Rob Case

Jan 12th, 2009 (6:31 pm)

Both the Volt and this are really great cars. They are also very late. I have signed up for a volt some time ago, but was floored at the jaw dropping price tag! “Joe America” won’t be able to afford these cars. The Volt has to be about $28,000.00, end of story. You can’t expect him to plunk down more than he makes in a year. GM needs to take heed! Build it for less, or someone else will.
    Rob Case
    Accord, New York

Steve W

Steve W

Jan 12th, 2009 (6:34 pm)

There’s a lesson to be learned from recent history. I’m referring to the current Tahoe Hybrid. Anyone else familiar with how they are selling the truck? Fully loaded is the only way you can get a Tahoe Hybrid. Price? Well north of $54K plus added dealer markup that is currently averaging $4-$5K. That’s a $15K premium over a base Tahoe. Lutz says it costs approx $3000 more to hybrid-ize a vehicle. Wanna guess why the Tahoe Hybrid is only available loaded? It sure as hell has nothing to do with the greening of the planet.

Don’t be surprised that, if and when produced, the Converj will leave showrooms at close to $80K…but it will be LOADED.

The key to GM’s future is to build the car of the future for the masses then work up to the rich and famous market. To do otherwise opens the door for the Toyota, Honda, and Hyundai’s of the world to beat their ass to the punch ALL OVER AGAIN!

Not trying to sound pessimistic but we do have the reality of an economy that has reduced everyone’s wealth and there’s nothing on the horizon to indicate that it will change before they start trying to sell $40,000++ Volts. Before the economy tanked the $40K market itself was pretty limited FOR THE AVERAGE JOE. At best it would be a huge stretch to think that John Q Average would reach that far to save the gasoline and/or planet that is the Volt’s primary draw. Frankly most Joe’s might even hesitate to jump in on brand new, untested technology. Throw in an unstable economy …hmmm…Volt doesn’t have much of a prayer…at least for a few years…after the economy returns to prosperity and stability. This statement is not true for those of you who are certain of their upper middle incomes and currently drive a relatively new $30K – $35K vehicle with another in the garage. But that does not describe the masses who will be key to GM’s future.

GM should be targeting $25K not $40K with their first plug-in

Zach

Zach

Jan 12th, 2009 (6:45 pm)

That looks AMAZING! I would totally buy one, given the assumption I made 60,000 a year and had been for several years. Unfortunately, I don’t, and haven’t, lol.

Russ T

Russ T

Jan 12th, 2009 (7:57 pm)

Congratulations on the Bait and Switch you got us interested in the Volt at an attractive price and then changed the styling to Prius-Like. Now you show the a Cadillac version of what looks a lot like your Auto Show Volt… I am sure this will carry the extra $20K price tag for the Cadillac name. Great use of our tax dollars…your off to great start rebuilding the public trust.

John Steele

John Steele

Jan 12th, 2009 (9:38 pm)

The masses need to be equipped, not the coprolites that can afford $8.00/gallon gas. I’m talking about the great hard working, economic burden bearing, not so silent majority. This is as out of touch and worthless as those DA execs that scrapped the EV-1!!!!!!!!

LB

LB

Jan 12th, 2009 (9:39 pm)

That looks exciting! If the Volt is out of my price range, how much more is the Caddy? Hope they don’t try to put some ugly on it like they did to the Volt. How much is the Chrysler 200?

Terry

Terry

Jan 12th, 2009 (10:44 pm)

Hope this isn’t another hyped up proto-type. The volt had some very defined style to it when it first came out also, then it got plain jane down. I want a car that looks just as stylish as the proto-type

eightjack

eightjack

Jan 13th, 2009 (12:27 am)

Exactly. The cadillac division has a better recent track record than GM as a whole as far as retaining distinctive exterior design from concept models, but even so, the American auto-makers seem to have developed a mania over the last thirty years for dulling down anything unusual. I suppose they recall the Pacer, or even the Edsel, and think that they’ve “know” that unusual = limited market. This is not exactly correct, however. Unusual appearance can equate to limited appeal, but at the other end of the spectrum, it can equate to crazy, broad appeal (and it’s about the only thing that can). So it’s risky.
    But at this stage of the game, GM HAS TO GAMBLE ON A HUGE HIT. A limited success will still end in the demise of the most of the American auto industry. It’s as though GM’s down by 14 with three minutes left in the fourth quarter, and they are still running the draw play up the middle (and congratulating themselves on being so careful). Somebody in there is really not getting it with the Volt, let’s hope there’s a clearer thinker in charge of the Cadillac effort.

Ron G

Ron G

Jan 13th, 2009 (12:55 am)

FINALLY, an automaker gets that I’m ready for a green car with fantastic mileage but I want it to be luxurious with all the current technology. This is what will get me out of my BMW.

Don Scott

Don Scott

Jan 13th, 2009 (10:06 am)

Just build the damn thing as it shows! I will buy it tomorrow! Quit dithering GM and quit changing your designs before they get to market

167. [...] Cadillac just announced their own Volt competitor. Cadillac Converj Extended-Range Electric Vehicle | GM-VOLT : Chevy Volt Electric Car Site [...]

168. [...] Cadillac Converj Extended-Range Electric Vehicle [...]

169. [...] Cadillac Converj Extended-Range Electric Vehicle [...]

davea0511

davea0511

Jan 14th, 2009 (4:08 pm)

Big deal … they’re just going to mommify it like they did to the Production Volt model. If you can count on anything, it’s the marketing department making stupid design decisions.

Bud

Bud

Jan 14th, 2009 (5:19 pm)

Wow, wonderful Idea, Beautiful inside and out , but for the working class this is out of reach , No company has took on the responsibility of producing an affordable vehicle of this caliber!

Jun

Jun

Jan 15th, 2009 (8:10 pm)

Awesome! I like the idea and please place me on the waiting list.

Rick

Rick

Jan 25th, 2009 (9:41 am)

Looks great! Can’t wait to buy one! If only 10% of the cars on the US Roads were electric it would reduce American dependance on the Arab’s oil by 1/2 a Billion barrels of oil every day! ( 2000 oil tankers a year! ) All we need now is a solar panel on our garage roof to re-charge them for free. Think about it, if you currently drive 2000 miles a month and are now getting 30 miles per gallon, the first $200.00 of your new “electric car” car payment is what you spend in gasoline anyway, so even if they’re $15,000.00 more than a gasoline car you save that back in 6 years in gas ! it’s all possible now.

jody

jody

Mar 1st, 2009 (2:08 pm)

Blah Blah Blah ditto!!

Give us a beautiful, innovative concept… and sell us an ugly duckling like the volt. typical modern american car manufacturer’s inability to lead. it’s easier to copy the bmw, lexus, toyo, and hondas in the world.

And they wonder where their customers went!

joe sanderson

joe sanderson

Jun 23rd, 2009 (12:18 am)

probably the same as the volt,,,,same motor,,same elec . system,,,and probably built on the same or similar, frame,,,,same parameters for run/charging times as volt,,,,more than likely,,,just the same care with a different emblem and package on it…..look at the specs on the motor and electric system,,,,that tells all……….same old game……..