Aug 28

Chevy Volt Interior Picture Leak

Motive Magazine seems to have gotten hold of a picture of the Chevy Volt’s interior. It was posted today.

It looks different than the most recent clay mock-up Volt chief designer Bob Boniface showed ABC news.

When I was in the design lab I had seen multiple variants of the interior, and it wasn’t clear which was the one they chose to go to production with. Certainly this image shows a sleek and futuristic appearance with a vivid touch screen.

I cannot confirm the accuracy or origin of these images, but take note of the display stand upon which it sits. It is possible these displays are being prepared for GM’s upcoming Centennial event and some insider took the shot.

Here is the clip from the ABC news video:

Source (Car Lounge Forum ) Thanks to Chris N for the tip.

This entry was posted on Thursday, August 28th, 2008 at 3:44 pm and is filed under Images, Interior. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

JB

JB

Aug 28th, 2008 (3:47 pm)

Looks interesting…very..IPOD like?

Michael D

Michael D

Aug 28th, 2008 (3:51 pm)

Looks great! Sign me up ( Oh, I already am!)

FME III

FME III

Aug 28th, 2008 (3:52 pm)

I just hope the interior controls are easier to use than the control knob on the BMW 7 series that was uniformly panned.

I’d like to hear some educated guesses on the purpose of the lock/unlock switch on the right side of the center stack.

Aspherical

Aspherical

Aug 28th, 2008 (3:54 pm)

Giant iPod. Kinda reminds me of “Eva” in WALL*E.

I’m curious about a few buttons:
    Is the power button in the middle the ignition?
    What that “green leaf” button do? (bottom left of power button)

CalgaryVolt

CalgaryVolt

Aug 28th, 2008 (3:58 pm)

I’d say that the lock/unlock button is for the doors.

It’s nice to see buttons for seat heaters for us cold weather folks.

Aug 28th, 2008 (4:02 pm)

I like it better than the clay model.

Aspherical #4. I hope the ignition is voice activated.

terryk

terryk

Aug 28th, 2008 (4:06 pm)

uDrive!

ThomC

ThomC

Aug 28th, 2008 (4:11 pm)

There’s a serious ergonomic issue with the controls, specifically the buttons… Almost all of the buttons are flush, which looks nice, but there need to be some nibbies (technical term there ;-) ) for tactile feedback… like the raised nibs on the “F” and “J” keys on the home keys of your keyboard.

The nibs should be stragegically placed so that you can find other keys based on the tactile focus points.

And the buttons themselves should have bevels around them so that you can tell where each button is.

Bottom line, after a week of ownership you should be able to find every button/control on the center stack in the dark without having to take your eyes off of the road. This is not a major technical challenge, just good ergonomic design.

Aspherical

Aspherical

Aug 28th, 2008 (4:12 pm)

Haha, just realized the term “ignition” doesn’t make sense anymore. Will it simply be the “power button” now?

Aug 28th, 2008 (4:17 pm)

The clay model is nice and simple. The magazine shot looks more complex – and it’s not clay. Must be the magazine model! (The module does look “stuck on” so it could change easily with some other variant).

CalgaryVolt

CalgaryVolt

Aug 28th, 2008 (4:21 pm)

Does anyone know how well these sort of “touch-sensitive” buttons work with gloves on? The buttons and flat panel design look nice but it might be a little useless if the buttons don’t work if you are wearing gloves in the winter.

Are these sort of buttons typically pressure sensitive or heat sensitive?

Campy

Campy

Aug 28th, 2008 (4:23 pm)

“iPod-like”?

were they modeling it after the first iPod?

and by the way – who the hell wrote the copy for that board, “surprising intuitiveness”??

Ted in Fort Myers

Ted in Fort Myers

Aug 28th, 2008 (4:25 pm)

Looks simple and easy to operate. I wouldn’t have expected anything less.
    Take Care,
    TED

noel park

noel park

Aug 28th, 2008 (4:30 pm)

KISS.

Someone mentioned elsewhere here today the tendency in our “modern” world to add gee whiz features seemingly just because we can. Or for bragging rights, I guess. We just got a new microwave. It has about 20 mysterious buttons on the front, in addition to the basic keyboard. I (and my wife as well, I would guess) will never use about 95% of them. Dial up the time, push start, end of story. It really makes me tired.

Dear Volt Team:

Please try to resist this compulsion as much as possible.

Aug 28th, 2008 (4:38 pm)

Personally, I would rather it had almost no buttons, and be voice activated for everything!!!

Maybe in Gen-2????

ROBERT M. SPERRY

ROBERT M. SPERRY

Aug 28th, 2008 (4:44 pm)

September 16 can’t get h ere soon enough. I’m so fired up over the Volt I would buy one today, if anyone would take my order.

Jeff

Jeff

Aug 28th, 2008 (4:45 pm)

IT HAS A RECORD BUTTON!!!! That means digital audio recorder for live radio just like the CTS! That is a badass feature. Very exciting.

Ya, pat me on the back, I noticed.

andy

andy

Aug 28th, 2008 (4:51 pm)

I hope they improve on the plastics, it looks very ordinary to say the least. Voice control wouldn’t be practical in a car due to ambient noise levels.
    A touch screen – no need for more switches than abdolutely necessary, two monitors/cameras instead of mirrors would be nice (and improve aerodynamics ) Very small centre console would give a sense of space. I hope they make it a desirable environment to be in, not more of the same “cocoon” we have been getting for the last 20yrs. I also hope it is more space efficient than what GM have been able to do in the past.

cybereye

cybereye

Aug 28th, 2008 (4:53 pm)

I would says it a fake or the control is not the volt. why would you needed all that push button, if your going to use a touch screen. I don’t recall that an ipod have all that push button. So far on the control, I could not find an USB port yet. The screen display seem to be smaller then the clay display model. So I just have to wait til Lyle confirm. I would not complain if it is the volt control system. I just point out that layout style don’t seem to be volt theme.

Aug 28th, 2008 (4:55 pm)

Which ever way the Volt interior goes it will certainly be futuristic. Let’s hope for the best, in all cases. Go GM, Go Volt.

ThomC

ThomC

Aug 28th, 2008 (4:59 pm)

re: Voice Activated – How many times have you wanted to communicate to someone that they needed to manipulate some control and you just failed open (e.g. “Just push the red thingie”… if there’s more than one red control, they’re screwed). And with this you’re talking to a machine… Nope

re: Touch screen – see previous requirement to be able to use the controls WITHOUT YOUR EYES LEAVING THE ROAD. This is not a computer (although each car will have more computing power than was available on the planet when we went to the moon) nor is it a microwave oven or any other appliance… its a car and it’s imperative that you be able to use the center console without looking at it.

This isn’t limited to the Volt… this is any vehicle.

Dash Riprock

Dash Riprock

Aug 28th, 2008 (5:07 pm)

Is that a slot loading DVD drive in the middle between those two big round buttons ???

scott

scott

Aug 28th, 2008 (5:10 pm)

That thing is awful. I can just imagine all the dust, crumbs, and foreign junk that are going to collect in that recessed area where the swivel screen sits. And what’s with the white? Who wants anything white on the interior? Interiors are always black, brown, and grey. The white will look horrible. The buttons are going to show dirt like crazy. And what’s with all the buttons? It’s so 80′s! Haven’t we moved past that? Where’s the intuitive touch screen? I hope this is just a concept. I don’t know if I could live with that. YUCK, YUCK, YUCK! It’s DISGUSTING!!!!

cybereye

cybereye

Aug 28th, 2008 (5:12 pm)

Dash Riprock @ 22
    I bet it a CD player.

Morgan

Morgan

Aug 28th, 2008 (5:14 pm)

11 CalgaryVolt:

Pressure sensitive. The company I now work for has developed several applications of this nature and they are all touch sensitive except for the biometrics which scan pulse and heat.

Captain Kirk

Captain Kirk

Aug 28th, 2008 (5:16 pm)

Beam me up Scotty ! I wanna see if those icons are LED backlit for night rolling during black op missions.

Biometrics

Biometrics

Aug 28th, 2008 (5:27 pm)

Looks like a DNA cup holder at the very bottom. You will have to submit a DNA sample to start this high tech secure machine. I would like to see some eye scanning feature that controls most of the dashboard functions, similar to the Apache helicopter interface. Where’s the HUD ?

Aug 28th, 2008 (5:30 pm)

Jim I, #15 says,

Oh ya, baby. I love it.

JuneauBrass

JuneauBrass

Aug 28th, 2008 (5:32 pm)

“Leak” …..gotta love those marketing types!! Whatever it takes to keep the interest level piqued until GM can start delivering product!!!!!
    BP

Aug 28th, 2008 (5:42 pm)

Andy #18 says,

Voice control wouldn’t be practical in a car due to ambient noise levels.

——–
    Please reconsider your statement. We have built-in Bluetooth in our car.
    We never have to touch the phone. In fact, many times the phone is locked in the trunk. We simply talk to the Bluetooth while driving in the city or on the highway. It works flawlessly. We don’t drive a Caddy. We drive a cheap Hyundai Elantra. Ambient noise won’t be a problem. Of course, I have never tried it while listening to AC/DC.

Time Bomb

Time Bomb

Aug 28th, 2008 (5:46 pm)

why all the electricity sucking guages on the dash? just go with analog (mechanically driven)… seems like it would deplete the battery that much faster by having all these peripherals.

JAGUIAR

JAGUIAR

Aug 28th, 2008 (5:49 pm)

‘Looks cool, but I just want the car to drive without gasoline–I can’t take much more of this–just release the darned thing already. I think GM should strike while the iron is hot and competition is low. Give us an electric car for the masses–simple, clean, efficient, and AFFORDABLE!…and NOW!

BonnieJean

BonnieJean

Aug 28th, 2008 (6:02 pm)

I agree with Time Bomb. The “buttons” should be analog/mechanical. Computer based controls will be expensive to repair when something goes wrong. Go ahead, call me old fashioned.

Joe

Joe

Aug 28th, 2008 (6:10 pm)

I don’t care for it. White is not a good color for an interior of a car. Finding the right button while driving will be tough with the flush panel. Hope this picture is not accurate!

DUVAL JAY

DUVAL JAY

Aug 28th, 2008 (6:11 pm)

I am SOOOO stoked. I can not wait. Bring it on GM. I am only # 34,363 in line to get one :-( Crank up production and get us VOLTED

Jonathan

Jonathan

Aug 28th, 2008 (6:22 pm)

Tom C makes a good point about the tactile buttons, AND I would like an option for a heads up display. If we’re gonna go “trekki”, then lets lead the way.

Arch

Arch

Aug 28th, 2008 (6:28 pm)

Some interesting pictures at the bottom of the page.

Take Care
    Arch

Jonathan

Jonathan

Aug 28th, 2008 (6:30 pm)

Also, the interior materials, knobs, and switches should be totally rugged, able to withstand lots of usage. No flimsy crap.
    Choose interior colors and designs that inspire the world. Lead the way GM!

VancouverJon

VancouverJon

Aug 28th, 2008 (6:40 pm)

Arch #37:

Great link. Have we ever seen so much of the rear end of the production volt before? There are some good pictures there and it shows that the front and rear aren’t really “that” much different than the prototype. Thanks.

chris

chris

Aug 28th, 2008 (6:43 pm)

just digging this car, looks like American know how, Chevy inventiveness and lots of big $$$ investment is hard at work…

Go GM!

Sentinel

Sentinel

Aug 28th, 2008 (6:44 pm)

Nice desing!!! I really think the tilting nav/energy touch screen is a great improvement over the nav screen in my 08 Camry Hybrid!!! But…. WHITE??? We don’t all have to drink the ipod kool-aid totally do we???? Please tell me that center con comes in a choice of colors, that would meake it very cool!!!

Sparcus

Sparcus

Aug 28th, 2008 (6:46 pm)

To me it looks more like a moc-up, and not the real thing. I would prefer less buttons, like my Prius II.

Aug 28th, 2008 (6:47 pm)

My vote:

No voice command. Ford’s adoption of the “powered by Microsoft” voice command will be a contributing factor to it’s demise. In my experience, voice command is something that works occasionally, and is mainly frustrating. Better program it to reset the system whenever it picks up a swear word.

I second those saying that all controls should be designed with an eye to not using your eye to find them — good basic tactile, ergonomic design.

Speaking of buttons and iPods, I have a request which could / should be adopted across the entire GM line; ICE, Volt, BEV, whatever. This is, on the key fob, a “hold” switch, similar to that slide switch on an iPod, to disable the buttons except when you actually want to press them. Yes, this is a rant. I am SICK and TIRED of my trunk opening everytime I put my keyring in my pants, or my “Panic Button” getting triggered in the garage when I take the keys out, at night. This would’nt take anything like the tech we’re discussing, but would remove a great source of frustration (speaking of frustration).

Once the major stuff is set, don’t underestimate the power of tiny annoyances to add up to customer disapproval.

And speaking of eyes, cyber eye, PLEASE change your icon-picture-thingy.

PLEASE.

noel park

noel park

Aug 28th, 2008 (6:49 pm)

#11 CalgaryVolt:

I thought that you didn’t need gloves in a Volt. Isn’t it supposed to warm up inside while still plugged in to save the AER and avoid starting the engine? (LOL?)

All I can say is that I hope the control “buttons” aren’t like the touch screen ones on bank ATMs After they get a little dirty, or whatever the problem is, sometimes you have to poke them 3 or 4 times to make anything happen. Just the thing to break your concentration while driving. Cell phone ain’t in it.

#32 JAGUIAR:

That’s what I used to hope for too, but I have sort of given up. 2012 and “trekki” is what it looks like to me, alas.

#33 BonnieJean & #34 Joe:

Amen.

#37 Arch:

Arch is baaaack! All right. Check out frame #8. Mass counts? Who knew?

Aug 28th, 2008 (6:50 pm)

Aug 28th, 2008 (6:51 pm)

Aug 28th, 2008 (6:51 pm)

Consumer Reports compares current hybrids:

Arch

Arch

Aug 28th, 2008 (7:06 pm)

Mooser

Mooser

Aug 28th, 2008 (7:14 pm)

Oh man, those colors are ugly. I think the technical term is the color of baby poo.

I agree with the post about good ergonomic design being a tactile feel for the buttons so we can use them without taking our eyes off the road.

Keep up the good work.

Talks

Talks

Aug 28th, 2008 (7:21 pm)

GM picked VOLT battery maker. But we dont know who it is..

Serpent

Serpent

Aug 28th, 2008 (7:33 pm)

Come on.. this isn’t good.. guys.. :( as a person that designs interfaces this makes me cringe.. it is almost fantastic but needs a lot of refinement

Aug 28th, 2008 (7:36 pm)

Jackson #43 says,

—————
    That goes ditto for me. I lock, unlock, relock, unlock over and over.
    I am sick of it too.

Aug 28th, 2008 (7:57 pm)

New pics in next thread. Don’t hold your breath. Not pretty at all.

John C. Briggs

John C. Briggs

Aug 28th, 2008 (8:07 pm)

Well, this is for operating all the non-essential car functions. I hope they do well with the basic car functions, like forward and reverse and turning the car on.
    I love my Prius II, but I am amazed that after 10 years, Toyota hasn’t managed to make the controls more closely matched to a traditional car.
    First, the Prius has an POWER button, which is really strange and unfamiliar. But at least it is big and you figure out that you need to push it. But what you don’t know is that you have to have your foot on the brake while pressing the POWER button, or the car only comes 1/2 ON and you cannot drive. Very confusing.
    Then there is the shifter. To make the car move forward, move the shift lever from Park to Drive. Normal right… However, when you let go of the lever, it jumps back to Park. The same thing happens in reverse. So if you are in Park, Drive, Reverse, or Neutral, the lever is positioned in Park. So bad.
    If you do get the car into reverse, the car beeps. This beeping only occurs inside the car not outside the car. Fortunately, there is a trick where you can shut this off.
    I repeat, I love my Prius II, but the controls… sigh.
    On the bright side, the Prius touchscreen is very well arranged.

Ron Brigman

Ron Brigman

Aug 28th, 2008 (8:25 pm)

Whatever they do with the dash and controls is fine with me.
    I just hope they deliver on time and that it is not a watered down version of what is needed.

This is supposed to be a solution car. Not just more junk on the road. We need to hold GM and all auto makers to higher standards.

Gary

Gary

Aug 28th, 2008 (8:26 pm)

54 John C:

I had no idea that the “user interface” of the Prius sucked so bad.

Gary

Gary

Aug 28th, 2008 (8:37 pm)

I can see why the white center console is polarizing. I assume that it will come in a choice of colours (that’s the Canadian spelling) like any car interior today.

I can see the reason for making white as a choice. White portrays an image of everything that is good and right for the world and represents the start of a new beginning. That will appeal to a certain audience.

Black, on the other hand, would look more sophisticated (or badass) and would appeal to those who want a cool-looking car and save money on gas. That’s me.

The Anti-Oil Jihadi

The Anti-Oil Jihadi

Aug 28th, 2008 (8:55 pm)

I dont like the way the white contrasts with the black dashboard, I think they should consider some grey or a different white.

Other than that, I think the new interior and exterior is excellent.

May allah bless us with victory in our war with oil.

spike

spike

Aug 28th, 2008 (9:15 pm)

Serpent, as one who designs interfaces perhaps you could add a bit of specificty to your criticism. One item I note is that there is no place to rest your hand when operating the control knob. That makes it almost unusable while driving. I seriously doubt this is beyond the prototype stage of design.

George K

George K

Aug 28th, 2008 (9:22 pm)

A few rambles:

I think it looks very cool, which I am expecting from the most advanced production car on the planet. I also lean towards the hi-tech look, and will be disappointed if it isn’t hi-tech looking.

The comments, plus and minus are certainly great feed back to the design team.

Having a standard gear-shift (wrong term and not shown in pic) as opposed to Prius joy stick which is mounted on the console, will make it easier for first time drivers of the Volt.

#8 ThomC comments and others re flush buttons makes sense.. I was thinking that the actual buttons simply weren’t installed yet. I certainly would rather feel my way to the buttons, than have to take my eyes off the road to look there.

Overall, I’m more excited then ever to get inside!

Alberta

Alberta

Aug 28th, 2008 (9:46 pm)

I want to see what the seats, etc. look like, not just part of the dashboard. Chevy had better give me options so I can have leather seats, etc.

Torsten

Torsten

Aug 28th, 2008 (9:49 pm)

Looks nice, sell this car for under $25.000 and we have a deal … sell it for more and I’ll stay with Toyota ;-)

Louie Diamond

Louie Diamond

Aug 28th, 2008 (10:39 pm)

Dash looks a little different on the concept car

cybereye

cybereye

Aug 28th, 2008 (11:09 pm)

Jackson @ 43

how about this icon-picture-thingy? Better.. LOL

Arch @ 37

Great link. The car sure look great, but the color needed to be change. I’m sure GM pick the color to make it harder to see a finer detail from the pictures. I love the look of see thru sun roof or moon roof on the whole top of the car.

Mike Kehoe

Mike Kehoe

Aug 28th, 2008 (11:10 pm)

I think this vehicle is landing at the perfect time. With so many great changes needed in this country and so many car manufacturers leaving this country because of the competition out side the US I think we can look for a better road ahead with the Volt leading the way. There are a great many companies that are now making your vehicle into a pure green vehicle but I really want to see Chevy make a hit. I had a 1968 convertible Camaro and always thought about getting the new one. But the Volt swayed me and I’m proud to be on the list!!!

Rob Case

Rob Case

Aug 28th, 2008 (11:16 pm)

I’m all set! … Run it! I’m # 13,841 (give or take a few) My wife wants one as well! Lets all send OPEC back to the sand pits to suck on their oil! GOD! I CAN’T WAIT!!! Hurry up, you’ll see, … you won’t be able to build enough of them! GM will have every plant open, running 3 shifts, 24/7, 365, and still won’t be able to build enough! GO GM, GO!!!

Maggie

Maggie

Aug 28th, 2008 (11:16 pm)

How handsome is that! I’m excited that we will have an American made “green” vehicle. How long will it take to get to my number — 17,000 — anyone know how fast they can build these things once they get started?

Matt R

Matt R

Aug 28th, 2008 (11:33 pm)

Too many buttons…

Steve Jobs would have a fit.

John HB

John HB

Aug 28th, 2008 (11:43 pm)

Well, the interior of the (upcoming) Volt looks OK; maybe it’s the EXterior that we should focus on .. incl. the battery pack, etc. Charles Rose had a nice focus, on his PBS show .. about the STRIDES being-made, to bring the Volt into a true, production status.

Scott Gartner

Scott Gartner

Aug 28th, 2008 (11:50 pm)

Boy, I really do hope it has heads-up display.

And wi-fi connectivity would also be fantastic, so that when I pull into the garage I can talk to the car directly and find out what the charge status is, upload music, change song lists, get statistics on use, etc. Note that I’m not necessarily talking about the car getting on the Internet (though why can’t the GPS get traffic off the Internet using the same Wi-Fi or my cell phone).

wbroms

wbroms

Aug 29th, 2008 (12:13 am)

The day I can buy one, I’m trading in my 2008 BMW for American GM Volt and tell those Germans and Japanese to suck it!!!

GXT

GXT

Aug 29th, 2008 (12:29 am)

Apple called. They want some royalties.

It looks nice, especially that screen. However it would be a complete disaster to try to use while driving given the lack of definition between controls. It is also going to be a pain to keep clean.

Seat heaters… that has to be hard on the electric range.

machz

machz

Aug 29th, 2008 (1:18 am)

I would like no windshield on night driving a radar or device and a head screen
    (lights come on and windshield clears on failing of system or user turns on)
    Basic screen showing the road the ditch etc with out BLAREing lights from high beamers everywhere. Its really is a crappy system right now, this clear
    up the path.
    Don’t they already have it now? on some car.

You think it could be made a lot faster with all the tool&die, machine shops
    being very slow in the US and Canada
    give me a call maybe i can help

Bob

Bob

Aug 29th, 2008 (1:23 am)

This is, in fact, the interior of the mockup that was shown to the focus groups in California a few months ago. The big space at the bottom isn’t, as I had thought as well, a cup holder. It’s a shift lever. A SHIFT LEVER! In an electric car! When I asked why an electric car needed a shift lever, I was told that this was to “invoke the feel of the great muscle cars of the past.” The concept is cool, certainly. And we need cars that can run substantial distances without burning gasoline. But when asked to sum up the styling of the car in one word, I said, “rental.”

kubel

kubel

Aug 29th, 2008 (1:26 am)

What an ugly interior. I prefer the interior of my 8 year old Ford Focus over this. I spy a push button start, though.

Please GM. Ditch the CD player. Gimme SDHC support.

Delaunay

Delaunay

Aug 29th, 2008 (1:29 am)

Hummm…
    The Ipod style version is a billion times better than the one showed on ABC!!!!!

Ken

Ken

Aug 29th, 2008 (1:39 am)

I am impressed with the controls but he are a few thoughts and requests:

1) the plastic looks a little “cheap” possibly due to the shiny surface and the beige color–if the color was darker and more of a matte finish, I think this would look better.
    2) can the controls (symbols) be illuminated from the back (like a cell phone) when the headlights or dashboard lights are turned on? (this way one can easily select a function in a dark environment)
    3) the touchscreen (hopefully) should the able to function as a monitor display when backing up (showing any child or obsticle when the car is in reverse). Also during bright sunlight, the screen needs to be more shaded (possibly with a hood), so the sunlight does not washout the display.

Richard Hagen

Richard Hagen

Aug 29th, 2008 (4:20 am)

My perception is that operating that keypad while driving would be difficult and unintuitive. I will have to use whatever is put into the vehicle, but I would like something that I can operate without having to shift my concentration from my primary task of driving. It looks cool, but not overly functional to me at this point, but this is just an early mock up according to some of the comments and as such, the production version may well be completely different.

Howard Buckalew

Howard Buckalew

Aug 29th, 2008 (5:01 am)

well, I am riding around on a scooter, and a 2500hd. I played with my garmin all summer, so i can imagine this for my volt.
    thanks, I hope to show my volt to my students who did a writing exercise on what the volt would mean to them. That was last spring. I hope to bring them out of class when they are seniors. now that would be a hoot.
    Howard # 464

Robert Rockwell

Robert Rockwell

Aug 29th, 2008 (5:09 am)

It has to be one of the ugliest dashes in automotive history!

mdlorey

mdlorey

Aug 29th, 2008 (5:21 am)

HIDEOUS

Michael J

Michael J

Aug 29th, 2008 (5:26 am)

Cost.
    We gotta be wary of cost. If the Volt is really going to be green it’s gonna have to appeal to millions of drivers. Several of my friends have said “Prius won’t pay for itself (in gas savings) over conventional small car costs.” Hence, they wouldn’t be interested in buying one. Therefore, if Chevy is going to really make a dent in globing warming, it’s gonna have to overcome cost issues, not interior color issues.

hermant

hermant

Aug 29th, 2008 (6:06 am)

White. Gosh, I wonder how long they spend on that decision. White. That’s what they came up with. White. Yah, that was worth those high designer salaries. White. Bet that won’t show any dirt.

Touch sensor switches. What genius, really cost conscious. Now my car can be as fussy as my microwave and my Ipod and my phone. Need the wipers; there’s the heater fan. Need the heater fan, there goes the trunk release. Touch sensor switches. What a brilliant choice.

What is it about white and cheap that I like? Oh, that’s right, nothing. Hey but, at least I paid over forty grand for the honor of owning one… white… cheap… yeah!

Derrick

Derrick

Aug 29th, 2008 (6:48 am)

Dont like that ipod look in my car, that glossy white plastic looks cheap… if this is the final version then count me out! The ipod look is great for the ipod but something about it just doesnt work here, for one thing I feel that its beginning to feel a bit dated and by the time this comes out it definately will be. One other thing is the ipod look is “trendy” by that I mean its a flash in the pan, here one day and gone the next and its on the way out right now, I’m tired of it. The opposite of “trendy” is “timeless” give it that look with a modern crispness and you’ve got a winner, the new CTS dash is a good start in that direction. Even a direct transplant of that dash would be better than this ipod look, its unimaginative, its boring, and its borrowing from something else… DEFINATELY loose the ipod look!

Auxman

Auxman

Aug 29th, 2008 (6:55 am)

Very busy dashboard. It looks more gray to me, perhaps when you close the touchscreen it sweeps out the crumbs and dirt like a toaster…. Made in America… Nice. But made out of what? Plastic? I wonder how many barrels of oil will be required to build one of these cars? I am not a expert on manufacturing but would assume that this car requires more oil to build than a Chevy Tahoe! Even still, the fact that it will not need much oil to run is impressive. I just hope we have enough oil to manufacture all these green products in 2020…

TEM

TEM

Aug 29th, 2008 (6:58 am)

One reason folks tend to lean towards the imports is the quality of the interiors. Aesthetic oriented. Lexus is preferable over Toyota because of the quality details, not alot of difference in performance. Volt has the hope of competing on the exterior as well as surpassing in technology. My sincere hope is that the interiors are given the thought and quality they deserve. Chevrolet is typically cheap looking plastic, chrome plated plastic, ugly cheap plastic. The interior doesn’t have to be leather but that’s nice. Real wood other than glossy plastic stamped woo is nice, but not required. For some reason, the plastic in the imports just has a softer look and feel about it. Beauty is in the details. I hope the Volt can put those imports to shame. No need to get spiffy with all the knobs and gizmos. Just class will be just fine. Surely we can get it right this time.

Roberta

Roberta

Aug 29th, 2008 (7:37 am)

Looks great for me but am wondering how complicated it will be for “older” drivers technically challenged will be able figure out how to start the car let alone drive it.

GLV

GLV

Aug 29th, 2008 (7:45 am)

One thing to keep in mind with these photos… The Volt is still in the design phase and we aren’t even sure whether or not this will be the final iteration. One possible reason for the color would be to facilitate the design and testing process. White gives you a better contrast when setting up the layout, so it’s easier to determine best approach and style.

One thing is for sure…no one, outside of the few people working at GM on the Volt, will know exactly what the production version will look like until it rolls off the assembly line. I’m patient enough to hold my judgment till then.

That’s where my patience ends however as I would love to purchase one of these today! :)

Löwenherz

Löwenherz

Aug 29th, 2008 (8:05 am)

looks nice and modern but many people prefer a lower price to buy this car instead of eye-candy, beside this touchscreens costs energy too.

greetings from germany where the gallon gasoline now is at 8,5 US Dollar !

Kevmark58

Kevmark58

Aug 29th, 2008 (8:09 am)

I don’t like the white mockup with the tilting LCD panel…looks cheap to me…very Walmart like.

I like the clay mockup better. I would rather have all the controls on the screen rather than all these icons laid out on white plastic…it just doesn’t look or feel futuristic or intuitive to me either. Just my feelings….

Ralph

Ralph

Aug 29th, 2008 (8:28 am)

Please tell me that all Volts won’t be 4 doors cars! I DON’T want to drive a “granny’s cronies” car.

Narg

Narg

Aug 29th, 2008 (8:35 am)

One word: YUCK!

Why can’t they stick to normal stuff on these things? It’d be cheaper and also much easier to work with after purchase. Oh well…

Hubert Samm

Hubert Samm

Aug 29th, 2008 (8:39 am)

If they take some of the nice features from the Prius, such as “keyless” ignition, I can see where it will be a popular car. I know that if it were available now, I would have purchased one instead of the Prius that I just leased. Now, this may not exactly be the correct place for this comment, but here goes… I received an email from GM, kind of a survey. One thing they has was “What price would you be willing to pay for the Volt?” … hummmmmm can you say “They’re looking to make a killing on this car?” Not that I’m cheap,I don’t begrudge them making a profit, but they need to price the car so that it is competitive with the rest of the industry.

Univert

Univert

Aug 29th, 2008 (8:39 am)

Le principal, c’est d’avoir une voiture écologique qui ne pollue pas et accessible à tous. Le reste, c’est superficiel.
    Merci

Jim

Jim

Aug 29th, 2008 (8:45 am)

Can’t wait to tell OPEC and Chavez to kiss the negative terminal on my battery pack.

Joe Wright

Joe Wright

Aug 29th, 2008 (8:46 am)

C’est mieux de le garder simple.
    It’s better to keep simple.

Bob

Bob

Aug 29th, 2008 (8:58 am)

#77 Ken says:
    “4) In regards to the touch controls, I agree that a voice control option could be engineered in place of actually pushing buttons (after all, Microsoft’s Voice Commander or Google-411 are both used in cell phones with minimal issues) –what if you are a Veteran from the Iraq war (without hands/arms) or a person that is wearing heavy gloves? Any voice activated system would be a GREAT selling feature that would highly impress any customer and would show the level of detail GM engineers have employed in the Volt design. (The Volt could be the first auto to comply with the Americans With Disabilities Act).
    5) Last, I hope there can be a WiFi option available so my son can play on-line video games with his computer when traveling with me 1-3 hours in the car (of course the WiFi would allow other functions as well).”
    ———————————————————————-
    4. Ahh yes, let’s make the car operable by those without arms. No offense to those folks (thank you for the service!) but how would someone without arms drive? My point is that a car will not comply with the Americans With Disabilities Act. Usually such sensors are pressure senitive and could be used by those with gloves. Though I do think it will have some voice activated features.

5. You cannot have a travelling wifi. I suggest that your son gets games that can be played offline.
    ~Bob

Steve

Steve

Aug 29th, 2008 (9:18 am)

I’m concerned with how much attention looking at touch screen controls and finding the right button will take away from watching the road. Most major controls in cars I’ve driven I can identify by location and feel.

Felipe

Felipe

Aug 29th, 2008 (9:21 am)

Does any one have a guess on how much the car would be?

CBK

CBK

Aug 29th, 2008 (9:22 am)

Maybe the “leaked” photo was “leaked” just so they could see the
    responses? Personally, I’m not to happy with what I see. As for color,
    I’m sure it will be available in other color schemes just as are the current
    vehicle lineups.

Re: voice activation. Works just fine in my 2006 Corvette (as long as
    the windows are closed).

Heads up display should be a requirement. Have it in my Corvette. The
    best toy ever. Takes getting use to though… you find yourself looking at
    the dash first then “dang” it’s there on the windshield!

CDAVIS

CDAVIS

Aug 29th, 2008 (9:23 am)

_____________________________________________________
    My first impression was that I did not like the above interior VOLT center console photo.

The more I studied it the more I have grown to like and appreciate the design philosophy behind it. There is very good design in the layout; the right combination of “hard” button selections at the correct locations. I like the idea of centralizing everything rather that having to go on a hunt for where certain buttons are. I would also think that this design is very good from a cost manufacturing standpoint (grouping many small components as a single insert module component).

I would welcome the following refinements on the center electrical console:

1. Color: For some reason the iPod White does not work here; I agree with other posters that it comes off as looking cheap. Stainless steel (w black graphics) or iPod Black (w white graphics) as a common center console color would look much richer.

2. Display: The LCD screen has a dated look because of the very wide bezel. A near zero bezel would greatly improve the looks.

Other than my two above superficial cosmetic suggestions, I like the center console. I can tell it has been very well thought out.
    ______________________________________________________

Dan

Dan

Aug 29th, 2008 (9:29 am)

Seriously hope they don’t plan on having it look like an iPod! I agree with #81 HIDEOUS. At least make it match the dash.

Gordon

Gordon

Aug 29th, 2008 (9:42 am)

I don’t care about luxury or extras. I want a plain commuter car which gets high fuel efficiency. My Honda Insight is getting 60mpg–that’s what I’m talking about.

Eric

Eric

Aug 29th, 2008 (9:50 am)

I think it is amazing. Outside the box thinking is exactly what the doctor ordered. I think the Prius is the ugliest car on the road, but Toyota doesn’t have a problem selling them. Finally, my Detroit brethren have it right. Keep pushing…

Murray

Murray

Aug 29th, 2008 (10:02 am)

I hope there is a Satelle Radio button…

Hubert Samm

Hubert Samm

Aug 29th, 2008 (10:21 am)

Someone mentioned Microsoft voice recognition…. if this car has anything “Microsoft” on it, I’m out of the running for the purchase of it… can you say BSOD while driving 60 mph down the road? ;-D

Mike D

Mike D

Aug 29th, 2008 (10:30 am)

Seriously?! It looks quite cheap.. White plastic?!? I was expecting something a little more sophisticated, considering this is a cutting edge vehicle. It looks like something you would find in a child’s play chest.

Aug 29th, 2008 (10:34 am)

What about the obvious? Dashboards are generally dark colors because they shouldn’t distract you when it gets dark outside.

I’m liking this less and less. Save the shiny white surfaces for pocket devices…

greeny4afs

greeny4afs

Aug 29th, 2008 (10:35 am)

I’ve decided I don’t want a Volt (at least as I’m familiar with it).
    I want an “Extreme Hybrid”.
    See http://www.afstrinity.com/
    It looks like its a far better arrangement of components, cheaper and more efficient.
    Where’s the list to sign up for that?
    Regards to all

Kyle Miller

Kyle Miller

Aug 29th, 2008 (10:51 am)

I agree with comment #23. “Yuck”. The curved white glossy plastic reminds me of futuristic 60′s/70′s genre sci-fi tv shows. Can anyone say “Buck Rogers”? The white sticks out like a sore thumb. I also agree with comment #19. It doesn’t match the overall style of the volt that we’ve seen thus far. The volt has an agressive, chiseled front end and angular windows and doors (very sexy new camero style). So how does the curvy white plastic play into this? NONE. UGLY, UGLY!!

Voice commands? Come on. I’m a big trekkie too, but this isn’t the 24th century yet. Get off the Enterprise and come back to earth for a while. Anyone ever use automated service help? “computer: Tell me what you want to do”… “human: What is my bill?”… “computer: Did you say you want to delete your account?”…”human: How much do i owe?”…”computer: I heard change your existing address.” Voice commands are in the stone ages and unreliable.

Everyone repeat with me… “Keep it simple stupid!” KISS. Now digital read-outs like the mph, temperature are cool. A nice bright blue on black background. Think honda civics dash cluster.

Dan Gieski

Dan Gieski

Aug 29th, 2008 (10:58 am)

Where can I buy one? will it run on the freeway? extreme cold of Minnesota winters?? hmm? Dan

John Meschede

John Meschede

Aug 29th, 2008 (11:30 am)

White for the dashboard control station is not user friendly. It will show dirt and smudges immediately, obscuring the icons. How a bout a deep blue backlit transparent plastic (or a selection of colors per the interior color choice).I think the steering wheel needs some work. Too plain.Check out some racing cars for examples and put controls on the wheel. The closer to production, the more naysaying goes on. Well, any press is good press, so long as you get your name in the paper:) I like the Aveo steering wheel with brushed aluminum accents.

Leo Karl

Leo Karl

Aug 29th, 2008 (11:39 am)

I believe this is a realistic example of what the VOLT center stack might look like – I expect it will be clean, simple and easy to use. I do not expect GM will ‘over gatetize’ this car. They are on a mission to bring the VOLT to market as quickly as possible at the best value possible.

The photo shown does have a white finish, but my guess is that this example is likely tied to the exterior color of the vehicle. There have been several vehicles produced lately that pull the exterior color into the interior (look at a Chevy SSR). So, if the exterior were, say, Silver or Black or Dark Gray, you would have a matching color center stack. This may just be a design execution and they are likely still playing around with combinations – so it is also still likely that the final design could be simplified to something like a carbon fiber or brushed aluminum finish. I would not get caught up in the color – the most important thing is the layout and execution of the buttons.

The ‘touch screen’ looks to be both the radio and vehicle electrical graphics. The display would likely switch based on which display is selected on the buttons. The display also appears to be designed so that it can be folded closed when the vehicle is parked for security or also at night to cut down on glare.

Just my thoughts…

mark

mark

Aug 29th, 2008 (11:42 am)

first impressions is it does not look slick and slim, the LCD interface should be a couple of centimetres biggger see Porcsche Cayanne, they got it about right or the brand new Saab concept interior is the look and feel.

In this case less is more think Bauhus or somthing like that

Tom

Tom

Aug 29th, 2008 (12:12 pm)

Unfortunately, it looks just as cheesy as all other GM interiors….

I hope the Japanese companies make electric only vehicles too, as I’d much rather spend my $$ on something with better build quality.

#DA

#DA

Aug 29th, 2008 (12:34 pm)

Volt Team:

If you have a digital audio recorder, can you make it programable so the volt will record my fav radio shows during the day, so i can play em back during my drive home. Also, a 30 sec skip forward button would be sweet for skipping the commercials… Tivo like kids!!!

#DA

Craig

Craig

Aug 29th, 2008 (1:15 pm)

I can only hope this isn’t the real thing. Its nothing like what we’ve been told or shown. It’s not “very cool,” “futuristic,” “IPOD like” or “high-tech.” At first glance…is that a CD player’s components taking up about a quarter of the shown center stack? Does anyone even use CDs anymore? This looks adequate for average, but not for our “game changing” Volt.

Chris Jackson

Chris Jackson

Aug 29th, 2008 (1:21 pm)

This control panel looks very advanced compared to what we are used to. I am surprised to see so many negative comments. Didn’t we ask GM to build us a high tech car? control sensitive surfaces are nothing new and are here to stay. The control surface will be easy to clean and won’t collect dust. I would buy it.

Jason The Saj

Jason The Saj

Aug 29th, 2008 (1:25 pm)

Don’t like the white…. can I get that in a deep red or a darker blue/gray.

Also think I’d prefer a big sharper look.

noel park

noel park

Aug 29th, 2008 (1:26 pm)

#94 Univert & #96 Joe Wright:

Amen.

Bryan

Bryan

Aug 29th, 2008 (1:29 pm)

This looks like a show model to illustrate concepts. Otherwise it is ugly and not very practical. Dust and dirt will collect easily in the screen well and it won’t be easy to clean. The touch sensitive plastic may be back lit, but in either full daylight or darkness the driver will have to look at the tiny icons to find what they want and there are too many of them for easy visual scanning. The color is all wrong and why have a touch screen in addition to the rest of the buttons? People want less visual clutter not more. The ABC video showing the model is a much cleaner, better design.

mark

mark

Aug 29th, 2008 (2:26 pm)

Ok I’m Sure the Guys at GM know what do.
    they’ll be installing a Mac and Win compatble hardware powered by 2×2 3GHz.

Mark

Jason

Jason

Aug 29th, 2008 (4:39 pm)

gm booring again :-(

Chevy Volt Interior Photo Leaked | The Solar Link

Chevy Volt Interior Photo Leaked | The Solar Link

Aug 29th, 2008 (5:07 pm)

[...] And, a link to the whole article: http://gm-volt.com/2008/08/28/chevy-volt-interior-picture-leak/ [...]

The Grump

The Grump

Aug 29th, 2008 (5:16 pm)

Those who know me here know that I have been “grumping” about the steady decline of the Volt, from magnificient concept to what we have today. This is just another sad chapter in the Volt’s story to me.

Voice commands? Try issuing voice commands to a Garmin Nuvi 850 GPS unit, and then we’ll talk. I got so sick of repeating myself, I stopped using voice commands altogether. It WOULD be pretty cool, if voice commands actually worked.

White is all right for marking passing zones (which we need more of, BTW), but white is not good for car interiors. Life is messy, and white will show you how messy life can be. Me ? I humbly suggest a dark blue interior, with a screaming yellow paint job. Try to ignore that !

Touch screens would only work well if you limited the buttons per screen to four, showing one big button for each corner of the screen. The bigger the button, the easier it is to press the right button. Unfortunately, this would probably create a need for many sub-menus, just to get to the function you want.

(I just hope Bob remembers to remove the prototype button which triggers the irreversible self-destruct sequence). “Battery core explosion in 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1″. Now, a Volt self-destruct for car thieves, hmmmmmm.

Yeah, I’m the older driver you guys talk about when this high tech stuff comes up. I had to call Pioneer just to figure out how to set the clock in my new Pioneer stereo. I just want a car to do what I want it to do, without the annoyance of reading an instruction manual. Keep it simple. However, a Prius-like “Start” button in place of an ignition key – that I could live with.

dennis

dennis

Aug 29th, 2008 (5:18 pm)

The dash from the ABC video looks A LOT better than the possible leaked pictures.

andy

andy

Aug 29th, 2008 (5:42 pm)

Stop giving the iPOD a bad name. The iPOD is a whole of item experience. Saying the VOLT interior has an iPOD look misses the point. The interior looks american cheesy ( going by the photos). What is it that people cant see it?

wbroms

wbroms

Aug 29th, 2008 (6:08 pm)

They should have one large center touch screen. Not a novel idea but a great show of technology over the foreign cars!!!! How hard could that be. ALso a usb input so I can just carry around flash drive for music!

Andrew

Andrew

Aug 29th, 2008 (6:19 pm)

I just hope they don’t stick with tan and white for the interior. Dark, dark colours are best.

George

George

Aug 29th, 2008 (6:37 pm)

I hope it comes in dark colors and it has some lines to it. I don’t want mine to look like a melting ice cream bar.

Ryan P

Ryan P

Aug 29th, 2008 (9:31 pm)

Oh, Puh-leeze No.
    No. No. No. No! If Motive Magazine’s photo is at all accurate, it will be a huge mistake!
    Let me lay it out for you: for a moment just disregard the CD slot and the 2 round chrome rimmed buttons (which are highly visible), and the paired rectangular toggles to the right and left (which you can find because the gap sort of outlines them), and the orange thingy. What’s left? There are 28, count them, twenty-eight little bitty icons no larger than my little fingernail scattered over its face.

If you’re marketing this car to twenty-somethings who all have 20-20 eyesight that would be ok, but not one of them will be able to pay for it. No, the stated MSRP tells me that your target market will be to people north of forty. I’m in my fifties. Now, I’ve had laser surgery but I still wear reading glasses, but NOT WHILE DRIVING!

I can hear GM say “Oh, but you’ll get the hang of it soon!”
    Well, here’s how it works at 62 MPH: I want to fast rewind the CD to another song. Let’s see, there’s the slot. Count two rows down. Or was it three? Yeah, three! Let me see, was that command the third or fourth icon from the left? brake lights? brake lights! CRASH!

The reason my Chrysler Concorde’s CD has TEXTURE is so I can glance at it, place a finger, look back at the road, and find the button by feel.

tBay

tBay

Aug 29th, 2008 (10:18 pm)

GM, the interior of the Volt should be like no other car. it should be clean, and clutter-less, but with enough bells and whistles to assure the driver that they are driving a technological wonder like no other car before it. taking a little inspiration from one of the world’s most innovative companies (apple) is very smart in my opinion. apple is king when it comes to easy to use user interfaces, sleek and sophisticated design, and superb functionality. should the Volt have these qualities in it’s interior, it’ll support the motive to create a successful, car for the future.

IMO, if this car is to become a success, it must be unique among all other cars (regardless of propulsion). Utilizing a multitude of colored LED lighting for the interior would definitely create an ambient, futuristic setting. Utilizing touch screens and touch buttons (though with some sort of tactile feedback) will make the controls stand out from other car interiors. Utilizing interesting materials such as the white plastic is definitely a step forward in distinguishing the Volt’s interior from other cars’ (although it needs some help to bring the sophistication up a few notches).

I think they should use the clay model design. Just add some basic necessities and some of things i mentioned, and it’s a perfect interior for this car.
    Overall, I’m pretty impressed though. : )

Stew

Stew

Aug 29th, 2008 (11:15 pm)

#125 The GrumpI

“had to call Pioneer just to figure out how to set the clock in my new Pioneer stereo. I just want a car to do what I want it to do, without the annoyance of reading an instruction manual. Keep it simple”

——————————–

That is too funny. I am in my 30′s and also had to call Pioneer tech support to find out how to get the clock to display on my AVIC-N1.

I do not like the look of that control panel, way to difficult to operate by feel while driving. And DO NOT integrate the stereo into the whole control panel, this makes it impossible to upgrade/replace.

thebuffdriver

thebuffdriver

Aug 30th, 2008 (8:29 am)

This all looks great, but if the price tag remains near the ‘presumed/leaked’ $40K mark, that’s W-A-Y too expensive when compared to current market hybrids. With the exception of our current hybrid, we’ve always purchased GM vehicles and we’re excited about the Chevy Volt…….but not at entry-level Mecerdes-Benz prices.

Also, given the amount of time that ‘heads-up’ displays have been available in aircraft, it would seem this technology could easily and economically be incorporated into this design. But…I’m a pilot and not an automotive engineer.

VOLT-eLectrified

VOLT-eLectrified

Aug 30th, 2008 (9:04 am)

I love it! Recommend using knobs/constant push control type button only where the control needs to vary the output such as radio/fan/wipers controls found very close on the steering column. I am not crazy about the flat surface with words printed on it. Kinda childish or cheep concept. I would suggest using a touch screen with programmable options such as buttons with dropdown window with selections and programable short cut keys. Generation Y understands this format and would eaisly be understood by anyone who uses computers/navigations sytems. The old guys are still gadget guys and would learn quickly. Ladies, the guys can show you where to find the remote. Come on, put it in your right hand an start a call, open a back window or sunroof, crank the stero! The stero has to be awsome, we are in the ulitmate “gadget”! How about sensors that detect cars in the other lane and the screen can show with a RED/YELLOW indicator for distance from the VOLT in primary directions. I love it, wish I could help design it.
    I only hope I can afford it! GM-Lets give the world American Enginuity the Germans would envy!!!!

VOLT-eLectrified

VOLT-eLectrified

Aug 30th, 2008 (9:15 am)

tBay, I like your thought process.
    Not to mention if the screen is sized and positioned efficiently, even my grandmother should be able to change the icons size on the touch screen so she can see driving with out her reading glasses.

Aug 30th, 2008 (9:57 am)

thebuffdriver #134:

You can’t have it both ways! You want the latest of high tech devices – heads up displays, but you want it priced like a Kia Rio!

You have to decide what it is that you want.

If you want a $25K car, expect AER of about 15 miles, no extras, and a very cheapo interior.

If you want all the gadgets, and a very high quality luxury interior, then you are going to have to pay for it.

There is no free lunch. It really is that simple.

As I have been saying for almost 18 months, this first version of the E-REV is not going to please everyone. But since they are only going to make 10,000 of them the first year, I am sure they will sell every single one of them………… And I would like to be one of those first 10K pool of buyers!

Steve-O

Steve-O

Aug 30th, 2008 (1:59 pm)

This interior looks hideous, why can’t they copy the look of the previous generation Honda Accord coupe or current Civic? There is nothing Apple-like about this, no elegance, no simplicity. If they are going for Apple-inspired they need to call Jon Ive (VP of Industrial Design, Apple) to show them because this is a really failed attempt.

Scott Mc

Scott Mc

Aug 30th, 2008 (2:03 pm)

Wow … people get a grip … If Chevy is going to make the suggested production release date, comments about controls and instrumentation at this point are likely mute points, I say let GM get it done, get it out, and then we will see what’s up.

I too plan to be one of the first buyers of a Volt. But we all need to understand GM is cutting new ground here. So, something’s are bound to need to change in layout and presentation from what we’d expect and with the differences of an electric vehicle vs. what is on the roads today, existing styles of switches and instrumentation are not feasible for the Volt. Just think of a Heater, there is no hot water coming out of an engine to heat the interior, so the hole slide bar to control the temperature of the interior is not likely. Now apply that to every other control in the car. They need more efficient electronics and running wires all over behind the dash so the light control can be there, and the heater control can be here, and seperate space and brackets for steroes (like other cars have), are simply not options. This car is going to different, this car has to be different in order to be on the cutting edge it is going to be on. Reality check folks.

Many of the comments I’ve read here are strictly bells and whistles stuff folks, I want to see the car (in my garage), then I’ll pass on an informed review. Heck, we could ask GM to keep redesigning it indefinitely; meanwhile I am paying more and more everyday at the pump.

Comments about voice activation, seat heaters, grandma’s needing to resize icons, aftermarket stereo upgrades, and rearview cameras. The Volt is not going to be a typical car, it is not a Prius with a GM badge on it. Remember GM is struggling to make the batteries work long enough for an average commute and little longer. I don’t think this car is intended for obnoxious huge sub-woofers or (no offense) grandma’s with bifocals, blue hair and gloves resizing icons on the fly.

Get a grip here folks, lets focus on GM releasing possibly the biggest technology change in vehicles since the Model T, it’s price point and styling’s are aimed at upper middle class, probably reasonably educated, in their late 20′s to 40′s. Most of us in that age group have outgrown loud aftermarket stereos and have mental faculties enough to grow comfortable with where the heater and light switches as well as how they work without driving off the road.

Will the first production of the Volt be everything to everyone, probably not. Do I have confidence in an American Made Dream Car becoming a reality, yes … and I hope the rest of the country starts looking for the positive instead of trying to knit-pick the little things.

Personally, I am supportive of GM with their efforts to get the Volt into production. I am ready to camp out at my local GM dealer with check book and credit score in hand. My next posting on a Volt will probably be after I have it parked in my garage (after my first road trip).

I’m a pretty straight forward kind of guy and tend to call a spade a spade, if you object to my opinion, think about it, and then I am open to honest feedback.

Jake

Jake

Aug 30th, 2008 (2:33 pm)

Wow, that shiny white plastic looks like crap. Am I the only one who doesn’t want the inside of my car (Volt or not) to look like an iPod?

That said, I’m reserving final judgment until we see official production photos of the actual interior. Or is this photo official?

gary hendricks

gary hendricks

Aug 30th, 2008 (2:58 pm)

Comment…Selling Price!

In order for the Volt to really be a major change it needs to have it’s price held down.

I’ve been seeing more and more fancy bells and whistles since the concept first came out. Also the planned price has gone up and up. Started at about $ 25, 000 then 30, then 35 now the talk is of the first year (early) production Volts costing about 40,000.00

Perhaps make two versions…one a basic runner…no bells and whistles…no fancy but really unneeded screens etc.

So if someone wants all that they can buy it….but for most commuters all we need is the Volt to take us back and forth to town, work etc without using gasoline for a 40 mile or less round trip.

If it’s to be for the people the selling cost must be controlled.

Thanks,
    Gary H.

VOLT-eLectrified

VOLT-eLectrified

Aug 30th, 2008 (3:23 pm)

The idea of a touch screen is all the information interface is upgrade or programmable to suite many different people. The idea of an awsome radio is the looks and quality so that people are not as quick to replace the traditional cheezy cheap looking radio ,idea. The appeal factor. The concept of an ALL electric ( Saudi’s eat your oil) cars is the reason anyone is even paying attention to this site or GM inparticular. Maybe some of the ideas from this blog will reach the designers and they invision someones idea or develope from the idea that sets the car apart for the rest. I think everyone is somewhat excited about a new out of the box design and at the sametime have this comfort level of what would feel as normal to them. This is the GMs LS, LT traditional concept. If you want basic, here you go. If you want flashy, here you go and oh by the way that is an adder… Like you say Scott Mc, GM is battling against a limited amount of energy reserve and battery draining bells and whistles.
    The VOLT concept was not meant to meet EVERYONES needs, no one car can do that. However I think from a sinking compay’s stand point ( I am a GM fan) they must do something different or they can only expect the same results. I have watched their stock drop drasticly low, wondering if I should put my money where my mouth is. Invest in an American car mfg? That is an out of the normal concept all in its own. I pray our industrial capacity does not continue its current direction. I am in the North Carolina Piedmont. We have lost every mfg industry that made NC grow to what it is today. The VOLT is an idea of a new American first to put us back on the map. A hope for the working hard class Americans.No matter if they are Black, White, Red or Blue.
    Come on VOLT, dont let us down…

Gsry Strand

Gsry Strand

Aug 30th, 2008 (8:24 pm)

OK, but not great.
    I hope it comes with a heads-up-display.
    It should be touch screen all the way, zero buttons, after all
    this is the 21st century.

Neil Chapman

Neil Chapman

Aug 30th, 2008 (11:54 pm)

Cool place for the door lock button. One switch for both driver and front passenger. Saves weight and is convenient.

The Volvo C30 has a center console that is color coordinated with door panels, seats, etc. It allows you to “customize” your look. Perhaps white will not be the only option. I believe Volvo options are white, silver and wood.

I would prefer a larger screen as well. Something that floats…eg very little or even no trim around the screen. There’s a lot of material on this dash.

Ken

Ken

Aug 31st, 2008 (5:24 am)

After reading the responces (and) looking at the photos again, I think the design is OK… IF :
    1) the white color is darker and matte finished,
    2) fewer buttons are available (there are too many),
    3) the digital screen could be more incorporated into the center console with a hood for shading it in the bright sun.

It seems to me that the chief designer of Apple, (or Steve Jobs for that matter), would welcome the opportunity to design a simple interface for the touch screen, after all Steve Jobs started Apple in his Garage–a fitting tribute in re-designing the new AMERICAN car. This is one time a software engineer (preferably Apple) needs to work with GM since the interface can be updated without actually moving switches. Apple seems to have adequately employed the “KISS”, (Keep It Simple Stupid) successfully. I remember when Apple (like GM) was “on the ropes”, but with products like the iMac, iPod, iPhone, Apple rose from certain failure–I think GM needs a little assistance (from another true inovator, Steve Jobs) for GM to regain their historic legacy. After all, two heads are better than one. I am sure the cost can be kept down if the software was so well designed that other GM brands could use it.

Don

Don

Aug 31st, 2008 (8:04 am)

This is just a picture to inspire those working on the car. I doubt that is what the center stack looks like. Photographs like that one are posted all over Design Staff.

Also High gloss white would leave a reflection on the windsheild.

Stew

Stew

Sep 1st, 2008 (1:42 am)

#142 – I did mention the radio when mentioning not wanting everything integrated into a single part. I guess what I was really thinking was not having a one piece console like that.

If the power door lock button fails you have to replace an extremely expensive unit instead of one little switch. Now count how many switches, radio unit, touchscreen, etc are in that one piece.

I dunno, maybe I should stop thinking that things may need to be replaced at some point.

Cheers!

boB

boB

Sep 1st, 2008 (5:27 pm)

I’m skeptical. It’s too uniform and doesn’t need all those buttons if it’s touchscreen. Also, the print is too small for most drivers. I think it’s just something someone threw together. The touchscreen should be able to handle most things and a button on the wheel to give voice commands if desired like I do my bluetooth is preferable.

Ken

Ken

Sep 1st, 2008 (5:49 pm)

I want to agree completely with boB, (Comment 148) regarding having a touchscreen being able to handle most things and a button on the wheel to give voice commands if desired!

–GM engineers, are you listening or reading this comment (or is it too late)?–

You know the Volt should be a Paradigm shift in the way we drive and relate with our autos, it should not be surprising that the interior communications of the Volt needs to be equally revolutionary.

The Volt (if designed correctly) could be new “Model T” of the 21st Century, i.e. a vehicle of the masses that is affordable, durable and greatly admired.

Jim L

Jim L

Sep 1st, 2008 (6:41 pm)

It is amazing to me how much discussion has been generated over the controls for the stereo and ventilation system. As long as the Volt gets 40 miles on a charge and does not cost too much I’ll figure out how to turn on the radio. As a previous post mentioned, the Prius is about the ugliest car on the road but Toyota sells a lot of them because they work reliably and are fairly affordable. That said, the mock up in the photos looks better than the miserable touch screen in the Prius I rented last fall. I almost tail-ended the car ahead of me trying to turn on the A/C in the Prius.

VOLT-eLectrified

VOLT-eLectrified

Sep 1st, 2008 (8:34 pm)

Please note the discussion is on “interior picture leak”. The focus is on the center console where in most cars, the controls for the stereo and ventilation systems are found. The practicality of the mileage has been predetermined as meeting expectations of 40 miles to the charge…That idea is on another post. But the major concern of getting 40miles with a single plug in charge is THE IDEA!
    I hope I can speak for the masses of Generation X and Y who was brought up through the crappy cars produced by the big three.
    Well we are big boys and girls now and would like to own an American car and live the same dreams as that guy who drove the 69 camaro of the old school generation. We accept the idea that grandma and grandpa have spent the years in their Pony cars and Camaros, we would like a little input to the looks of the NEW out of the box design with a NEW perspective. I am looking at the Acadia now. I can get one with over $20,000 difference from the base model to the model I am really interested in. That kind of swing in cash is your basic all the way to the one which is sort of tailored for the purchaser. I assume the purpose of this site is to communicate the different perspectives of the masses so GM can come out with a punt return for a touchdown. They are spending a Billion a month and just cut their profits with huge employee discount. I would imagine GM would like some insight of more people who educate themselves (assuming self educating people would most likely have the credit to purchase a new vehicle) just like this post. What is so great about this post is everyone can criticize or everyone can praise and it is a good form of communication.
    I read another post where the picture leak was a hoax to get insight or to push the designers to a new approach. I do not think 85% of the people commenting on this post would take the time to comment if they did not care. GO-VOLT.

Angie

Angie

Sep 1st, 2008 (9:41 pm)

Well, I’m pretty sure GM is the one that leaked this photo so they can get responses from the people on the waiting list, sneeky but probably a good plan. So GM, if you want my honest opinion, it is hidious! It looks cheap and generic and nothing like I expected. I was very excited when I heard about this car but I can honestly say, you have just bursted my bubble. That being said, if this is what it’s going to looks like, I think I’ll just say “thanks, but no thanks”.

Tom

Tom

Sep 2nd, 2008 (7:46 am)

Is it my imagination or is that the airbag compartment I see behind the tilt screen? Wouldn’t be a good thing if the airbag blew the screen into the passengers!

I also think it is way too busy – at least the CD controls should go

VoltLust

VoltLust

Sep 2nd, 2008 (8:17 am)

Bring it!

Rob

Rob

Sep 2nd, 2008 (9:31 am)

GM/Ford have along history of not paying to put in quality finish interiors at the level of the Japanese/European auto makers. Please start with this new vehicle!!!!!!!

Cheryl

Cheryl

Sep 2nd, 2008 (12:26 pm)

I am so excited about the prospect of owning one of these vehicles! Please hurry to make them available!!

John M.

John M.

Sep 3rd, 2008 (12:48 am)

Not as futuristic or upscale as I would have expected for such a ground breaking vehicle.
    I think a brushed stainless or a high gloss black look for the center control panel would be more in line with the rest of the Volt’s overall appearance. The touch screen should have most of the controls and not have so many buttons to push and visually clutter the clean lines of a vehicle of this caliper.
    I am pleased with both my BMW 7 series idrive and my Cadillac XLR’s touch screen. Both technologies are very different, but work quite well. I’m sure combining European and US technologies could create a unique “smart”, user friendly system.
    I’m sure there are many changes ahead for this before final production. I just hope they take many of us, the consumers thoughts into consideration, instead of only the designers, who sometimes put design elements ahead of function.
    I’m keeping the faith that a excellent finsihed product will be produced!
    Looking forward to more updates!

Prosser

Prosser

Sep 4th, 2008 (8:44 am)

Did anyone else notice that there is a picture of what I assume is the volt interior on the GM homepage. check out gm.com

sukapenis

sukapenis

Sep 4th, 2008 (10:20 am)

Many things to know about others before you

Martin

Martin

Sep 6th, 2008 (5:16 pm)

Very cheap and plastique design. They need to get their European designers involved.

tim gibson

tim gibson

Sep 15th, 2008 (8:06 pm)

take me off the list. I can see why the big three are in trouble. looks like they found the lost steering wheels from the chevette. If I wanted a prius I would buy one. They have again gone from a realy cool concept car to the pile of dung that is forced on us.

Pat McCarthy

Pat McCarthy

Sep 17th, 2008 (11:06 am)

The WHITE Plastic has got to go!!!!!!!!!!!! PLEEEEEZE!

JKH

JKH

Sep 29th, 2008 (1:02 am)

Does anyone know who is actually manufacturing the electric motor in the E-flex system?

Raven Collins