Aug 11

Video: GM Airs Chevy Volt Ad During the Olympics

One of the major missions of this site has been to spread the word about the Chevy Volt.  The idea is the more people that know about it, the more people will see it as a great solution.

Also the more people we can demonstrate to GM as wanting the car, the more likely they will be to build it in necessary volumes.

Early on the Volt was just a concept.  In June of this year, GM’s board of directors approved production.

A new television ad featuring the Volt has begun airing during the Olympics.  The ad is being shown regularly from 8/8 through 8/24, and is shown below.

Per GM the ad "combines Chevy’s key Fuel Solutions stories into a memorable 60-second commercial that demonstrates Chevy offers answers to America’s transportation energy needs. The upcoming Chevy Volt range-extended electric vehicle makes a brief appearance."

Considering 60% of all US households watch the Olympics it confirms how serious GM is about this car.

[flash http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ITuKHpWKlQ]

This entry was posted on Monday, August 11th, 2008 at 5:56 am and is filed under Advertising, Video. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

Aug 11th, 2008 (6:07 am)

The more that know about this, the better.

Aug 11th, 2008 (6:11 am)

I swear I saw an AMC car in that video.

I especially liked the ending, just like the beginning. No station on that plot of land.

Aug 11th, 2008 (6:13 am)

I had seen this ad already watching the events. This news just keeps getting better and better. Now GM BUILD MY VOLT.
    Take Care,
    TED

Aug 11th, 2008 (6:16 am)

I created a gravitar. how do I get it here?

Alexander

Alexander

Aug 11th, 2008 (6:22 am)

Wow, that’s a great ad, I mean, a very high quality ad!

Gsned57

Gsned57

Aug 11th, 2008 (6:22 am)

Was that the new hybrid Escalade that they slowed the video down for before cutting away to the volt? Cool video, but I thought they weren’t showing the concept volt anymore. I guess they just aren’t showing the concept car at shows or to reporters.

Cire

Cire

Aug 11th, 2008 (6:25 am)

I didnt see the comercial yet but i only watched the olympics for 1-2 hours so far. I assume thats still the concept right? Sort of unfortunite they cant show the production volt on their advertisements, alot of people will be confused.

NZDavid

NZDavid

Aug 11th, 2008 (6:31 am)

From Green Car Congress, it seems that lots of households have the infrastructure needed to support a Volt.

About one-third of US new vehicle buying households in the US have both the required infrastructure for recharging and the interest to purchase a vehicle with plug-in capabilities during the nascent phase of the market, according to a new consumer study by researchers John Axsen and Ken Kurani at the Institute of Transportation Studies at the University of California, Davis.

Aug 11th, 2008 (6:47 am)

#4 Ted says,
    I created a gravitar. how do I get it here?

———–
    Ted.
    1) You have to use the exact same email address on gravatar as you do here.
    2) Be patient. It doesn’t seem to work immediately. Perhaps 1 hour max.

I hope this helps.

Spin

Spin

Aug 11th, 2008 (6:51 am)

Story about the compressed air car….

Aug 11th, 2008 (7:08 am)

I think it is great that GM is starting to ramp up advertising to build demand.

My only problem with this is that without production volume, “the masses”, as we call them here, are not going to be happy. We are in an age of instant gratification. The members here at gm-volt.com know it will be at least 28 more months before the first Volt hits the showrooms. And that for model year 2011, there will only be 10,000 units produced, so our chances of owning one are slim. And yes, I know that it all has to do with battery pack manufacturing and availability.

But try explaining that to my daughter, who wants it now! And look at how many of our members here are saying “Get Me My Volt!”

I just think that GM is wildly under estimating the potential number of people that are ready for this type of vehicle. If they do not have the cars available, this demand will look to other manufacturers. So in essence, GM is paying for advertising that will benefit their competitors!

I know they are trying to get their “green” rating up, but until they have a vehicle or vehicles available, this advertising may be premature….

Aug 11th, 2008 (7:12 am)

I hope that the buzz they get going with the ads can be followed up with production.
    Take Care,
    TED

Aug 11th, 2008 (7:18 am)

Jim I #11 says,

———–
    I 100% agree that it seems this way. But I can’t imagine how or why they have it wrong (if they do). But people will flock elsewhere to buy a car if GM isn’t producing it. From a software standpoint, I understand the need to ramp up slowly. But the problem here is, if GM isn’t producing it, they are not selling it. If they are not selling it, they are not making money. If they are not making money, they go broke.

I truly hope they are successful. They already have an uphill battle with 66% (or was it 60%) of the US population not interested in buying an American car.

Jim Jones

Jim Jones

Aug 11th, 2008 (7:30 am)

Dude that is one cool looking car! Id drive it!

JT

Aug 11th, 2008 (7:31 am)

#13 Rashid notes “But the problem here is, if GM isn’t producing it, they are not selling it. If they are not selling it, they are not making money”

Quite right. But any other company would go ahead and sell them in advance, so that the customers would be locked in. That’s true in airlines, vacation theme parks, other brands of automotive (Tesla and Smart for example). Of course there would be various escape clauses, just in case.)

Having a sale of places in line (with real deposits) would allow the urge to act (in the customer’s mind) to be followed up by a real commitment and place in line Other companies have figured this out. Why not GM?

Aug 11th, 2008 (7:35 am)

Yes that would be a great Idea. I have said on this site I would be willing to put down a $5000.00 deposit.
    Take Care,
    TED

Jeff

Jeff

Aug 11th, 2008 (7:35 am)

Launch Targeted 2010

Hmmm…GM could choose a better phrase to instill more confidence like…

Available 2010

“Launch” and “target” can be misleading words. I believe that I understand “target”, but does “launch” mean launch of sales or production? We will see.

Aug 11th, 2008 (7:36 am)

#14 JT notes the cool look of the car in the ad.

Yes it does look cool. We all like it. Unfortunately it is not the car that will be for sale, just the concept car. The real car will be closer to a plain jane little sedan, but we are hoping that at least it will be above average.

Murray

Murray

Aug 11th, 2008 (7:39 am)

It was cool to see this commercial and somewhat bittersweet having the knowledge, thanks to being a memeber here, that the concept design shown will NOT be the car GM puts out in 2011… my wife said “Well, it does look pretty cool…” and I had to tell her that it will not end up looking like that car in the ad.

Yeah, I’m still struggling with letting go of that concept design… I’ve got more than enough time to get over it though.

Oh and I think I saw a flash of the Saturn/Opel Flexstreme towards the end of this commercial.

Aug 11th, 2008 (7:40 am)

It is an impressive TV minute, creative, well executed and fun to watch.

Thank you Lyle for the post and link.

Aug 11th, 2008 (7:41 am)

The front is a little more tapered and rounded than the concept. It is still one good looking car.
    Take Care,
    TED

benson

benson

Aug 11th, 2008 (7:48 am)

Did anyone watch any of the other YouTube videos linked with the Volt ad. The alt nrg guy is pretty torqued about GM, and says the Volt will never happen.

That’s an awful lot of promotion money GM is spending (that it may not have to spend) to promote a car that won’t ever happen.

Jim in PA

Jim in PA

Aug 11th, 2008 (8:04 am)

Does anyone know the status of the Saturn “Flextreme” concept and how its drivetrain differs from the Volt? A CNN.com January 2008 auto show articles indicate it will be a 1.3L turbo-diesel, which I know was a concept for the Volt before they settled in the current engine. But here is the strange part, the Saturn website currently lists the Flextreme concept as having an electric range of 34 miles; notable different from the 40 miles the Volt touts. Furthermore, the Saturn website says the car was developed in conjunction with Opel, but maybe that was just suspension and body. So what gives with the 40 (Volt) vs 34 mile (Saturn) ranges?

Tagamet

Tagamet

Aug 11th, 2008 (8:17 am)

Nice ad.
    Jim I – I don’t think that GM is underestimating demand. I think that they can only ramp up so fast.
    Be well,
    Tag
    PS TEEENSY issue – was that a Venezuelan logo on the one gas station?

Jim in PA

Jim in PA

Aug 11th, 2008 (8:33 am)

One thing I noticed is that the Saturn Flextreme charges in 3 hrs, which probably means two things. 1.) Smaller battery pack (hence the 34 mile range) and 2.) a 220V charger. I have to say, this 220V charger is an excellent idea. There is nothing magical about 120V when every house I have ever seen has 220 power for clothes dryer, electric stoves, central air conditioners, etc. If you can cut your charge time in half with the 220V, then why not have the 220V? That feature alone would cause me to choose the saturn over the chevy, even at the reduced electric range. PS – The diesel aspect is a great boon to fuel efficiency.

Tagamet

Tagamet

Aug 11th, 2008 (8:37 am)

Jim in Pa@25
    At Voltnation they said that the Volt will have a “smart plug” such that it’ll “know” if it’s 120 or 220. I agree that 220 is common in today’s houses – we got one for a hot tub, so that’ll be available to plug in the Volt.
    Be well,
    Tag

Firefly

Firefly

Aug 11th, 2008 (8:39 am)

Jim in PA:

To my knowledge, the Flextreme (beautiful as it is) is still in the developmental stage. Probably because the Volt will encompass the launch of the E-Flex technology. I do not think that GM is underestimating anything at this point. Remember Bob Lutz’ ABC news video? This has not been done before. So I think it’s safe to say that GM is trying to rebuild their reputation. Remember, it’s not necessarily the car they are gambling on, it’s E-Flex. They’re being extra careful not to rush it out so that it works as WE, the buying public expect (and at possibly $40k, it better…) If E-Flex/Volt is as successful as they hope, there is nothing to make me beileve that E-Flex/Flextreme will not be next in the pipeline for Opel/Vauxhall as in the past GM has hinted about releasing it in Europe first (hence the diesel). But you know what happens to Opel Merivas and Vauxhall Astras-they end up being Saturns. So you can use your imagination there. Plus as an added benefit, if E-Flex does what it’s supposed to or better, you may be loking at the revival of many of GM’s other vehicles as not they can emulate the technology across the board.

My opinion/advice to you? Be patient and hope for the Volt’s success. Then bother the crap out of your Saturn dealer…I would.

Aug 11th, 2008 (8:41 am)

Having worked in the broadcast industry for 20 years my advice to GM is, “don’t spend all your advertising dollars on one venue like the Olympics”. Spread those ad $ across different groups and networks and don’t over advertise. A great product will sell itself.

Aug 11th, 2008 (8:43 am)

#25 Jim in PA observes that “Saturn Flextreme charges in 3 hrs”

Perhaps 220V charging is related to the Saturn’s heritage as an Opel and the European standard voltage of 220V.

Dave B

Dave B

Aug 11th, 2008 (8:51 am)

Lyle,

If you want to promote the Volt, perhaps penning a letter of understanding or intent to cooperate with Boone Pickens isn’t a bad idea:

For those that don’t know, he’s an oil Tycoon that is trying to ween us off of foreign fuels. He is promoting wind and solar power (among other things) as well as natural gas cars. IMO he has a slight disconnect with the renewable fuels to natural gas cars as the vehicles do not run on electricity–the Volt is perfect. He’s massing an army and frankly our objectives go hand-in-hand. He’d probably be happen to hear from you in particular. Perhaps even give you a link on his site and vice versa.

Thoughts anyone?

Campy

Campy

Aug 11th, 2008 (8:58 am)

The Volt commercial is cool, I’m happy they did that. But they also had a ton of commercials for their current fleet of vehicles.

Why, given the current financial situation, would GM spend so much money on advertising???

Nobody is buying cars now! Save the money and drop the price on some of your cars that are baking on lots right now. Pass the savings to the American consumer when they need it.

ThomC

ThomC

Aug 11th, 2008 (9:07 am)

That is a GREAT commercial! The only one that’s better (that comes to mind) is Mac’s “1984″ commercial. Significant points about the add:

1) Visually, it moves very quickly and catches the eye.
    2) Aurally, it’s smooth and comforting
    2) Background message (at least the one I get) “There’s been a lot of change, not necessarily for the better. GM has been a part of that change. GM sees a need to change for the better and GM has a solution(s) that will take us in that better direction.

Very powerful statement made in a very non-threatening way.

Aug 11th, 2008 (9:24 am)

#32 ThomC Summarizes the ad.

Excellent summary, and the message is the one I received too.

Clearlyh GM is trying to change its stodgy image. Ads like this will work if there are changes in the vehicles that are consistent.

GM Volt Fan

GM Volt Fan

Aug 11th, 2008 (9:28 am)

I think somebody in GM’s marketing department hit it out of the park with that TV commercial. It’s good. It gives people a sense of where we have come in the auto industry so far and where we are going in the future. The Chevy Volt will be the big “coming attraction” … like a new movie that is in production. It gets people looking forward to the day the Volt shows up at their local Chevy dealership.

GM ought to keep the ad agency that made this commercial. I want GM to get the best advertising people they can get for the Volt when it comes out in 2010. Marketing is going to be important. People will have plenty of questions about the new E-flex technology. The salesmen at the dealerships ought to be required to take a class on Volt technology and read about it, watch videos, etc. They’ll probably need some nice slides or videos at the dealership and some nice brochures for potential customers to take home, etc. Some people might need to do a good bit of research before they take the plunge and go for their first electric car (ER-EV).

GM needs to MAKE SURE that the auto magazines will be impressed with the Volt too. The Consumer Reports and JD Power folks too. If GM is putting out these nice commercials for the Volt before it even gets to showrooms they better make sure the Volt is going to DELIVER THE GOODS when it comes to quality, reliability, styling and all that.

ThomC

ThomC

Aug 11th, 2008 (9:30 am)

Follow up to the above posting.

1) GM, being the soul-sucking, evil, faceless, over-dog corporate behemoth that it has been ;-) tended to not make large status-quo shaking public pronouncements.

2) These days, Toyota is the over-dog, but has managed to retain the under-dog image in the public’s eye.

3) I’ve noticed that GM/Chevy’s commercials have been like elevator music: unctuous and saccharine. I think I understand the intent behind those commercials, the notion of “We’re the nice guys”… but the implementation is wrong and frankly a waste of time and money.

4) American’s have always had a weak spot for the under-dog and we positively LOVEget ‘er done”.

GM IS in trouble. It should publicly own up to that, with the qualifier “… and we’re fixing it.”… which is what this commercial does, albeit in a very subtle way. I sincerely hope this is the beginning of a new ad campaign that continues to push the “… and this is what we’re doing about it…” message. This is exactly the message GM needs to put out during this interim period before e-flex is in production.

omegaman66

omegaman66

Aug 11th, 2008 (9:31 am)

Let me say it before Statik!!!

Commercial says: UP TO 40 miles before using a drop of gas

GM has previously been saying 40 miles end of life!

Mike-o-Matic

Mike-o-Matic

Aug 11th, 2008 (9:34 am)

OFF-TOPIC for thread (sorry), but relevant to ‘Responses’ in general:

@4 Ted, @9 Rashiid Amul:

For those who preferred reading the responses *without* Gravatars, and are using FireFox*, just right-click any Gravatar and select ‘Block images from http://www.gravatar.com” from the context menu.

* = not sure what the IE equivalent is, though there may be one. No time to research it right now.

Aug 11th, 2008 (9:36 am)

GM could not have chosen a better place to advertise themselves and the Chevy Volt. Go GM and Go Chevy Volt.

Daveo

Daveo

Aug 11th, 2008 (9:47 am)

“The ad is being shown regularly from 8/8 through 8/24, and is shown below.”

Am I missing something? I don’t see a video, or a link to a video.

greg woulf

greg woulf

Aug 11th, 2008 (9:54 am)

I hope GM gets an ad agency that understands this issues.

This ad was fine, but we have an ad that airs on the radio in FL that only says that the Volt will have a 40 mile pure electric range. They make it sound like the car will stop after 40 miles needing a new charge.

With the Tesla touting a 250 mile range 40 miles seems pretty small. I know why the Volt is 40, and I’m 100% behind everything about the Volt, but most people have never heard of it. GM needs to be careful that they don’t preach to the choir.

They need to aim their ads at people who never thought they’d buy an electric car. The need to show driving cost savings, convenience, reliability and performance, all of which the Volt has big time.

If they don’t people will turn away.

Aug 11th, 2008 (10:00 am)

Could have done the same ad in 30 seconds. I thought it rather long.

When evaluating the ad, keep in mind this is a fan site and everyone loves their own advertising. OTOH we had brunch with some friends and they volunteered that they had seen an ad “for the car you mentioned.” So I’d say it is making an impression.

#36 omegaman66

I don’t think the “weasel words” mean much. Given the FTC rules on advertising, GM has two problems. First is that they don’t have a final product so claims about the capabilities of the production car are inherently speculative. Second is that you’re not going to get a 40 mile range driving 80 mph uphill. Given these limitations the “up to 40″ language is a reasonable solution.

Aug 11th, 2008 (10:04 am)

#40 greg says “They need to aim their ads at people who never thought they’d buy an electric car. ”

A different thought is that the ad may not be aimed at getting people to buy a Volt. Rather, its intent may be to change the perception of GM, and its target may be all car buyers.

To us, here, we focus on the Volt ending. To the larger audience, the overall message is one of change and GM changing. These days change is always a positive, and GM changing is a new thought for recent generations of buyers.

Brad G

Brad G

Aug 11th, 2008 (10:13 am)

#1 Rashiid
    Congrats on being the first posting today…
    #2 Rashiid
    Good eyes… The non Chevy car in the commercial is an AMC Gremlin… Check out the link above to see it and check out the price!

Statik

Aug 11th, 2008 (10:20 am)

#36 omegaman66

“Let me say it before Statik!!!Commercial says: UP TO 40 miles before using a drop of gas. GM has previously been saying 40 miles end of life!”

Lol, no I thought that ad was very good.

If I had to be picky about anything, it would be that we were supposed to, “NEVER see the concept anymore by GM,” -and- if the ‘production-alike’ has really been completed a(s we are to believe under that cover), would it not make sense to advertise the car you are planning to sell and make the ‘uber-sexy’ concept go away? So it is either A) not ready or B) it looks no where near the concept.

However, all that being said, those issues are only issues to people like ‘us,’ who are REALLY close to the project. For the 99.99% of the world, that is a great ad and really gets the job done. Good work, it would have been absolutely perfect if they didn’t try to hock the Tahoe at the end (still seems a little contrary to the message), but I still give it 4 out of 5 lightning bolts.

Gary

Gary

Aug 11th, 2008 (10:20 am)

A very well done ad. Nothing else to say.

Brad G

Brad G

Aug 11th, 2008 (10:35 am)

I sure hope the production version looks close to the concept car. Seeing the concept car again… What a cool car…

Aug 11th, 2008 (10:58 am)

With GM’s advertising now and until the Volt makes it to production and release for sale, the demand may be so big that there will be tremendous disappointment by tens of thousands of people who would buy a Volt if enough were made to satisfy demand. Demand will be there, but apparently production will not. There is going to be a big ground swell movement of people trying to purchase a vehicle from GM’s competition because GM can’t satisfy their desire for a Volt. GM needs to get some production models on the street in the hundreds ASAP (early 2009) to test the car thoroughly and work out any kinks. If the car is proven, production should start in early 2010 and put at least a 100,000 on the road in 2010. The public will be ready to take every single one made.

Todd Crenshaw

Todd Crenshaw

Aug 11th, 2008 (11:15 am)

This is an excellent commercial and a major attention getter. I only wish that the Saving General Motors would have included this website and Lyle to show that over two years out there is over three times the demand for this car than the plans cover for 2010 production, and that doesn’t cover those who don’t know about this site!

The interest is here!

Bruce F

Bruce F

Aug 11th, 2008 (11:18 am)

I just found out my brother-in-law shot this commercial! Very cool.

noel park

Aug 11th, 2008 (11:25 am)

I have zero interest in Volt commercials. Show me some hardware.

The future is now.

coach

coach

Aug 11th, 2008 (11:27 am)

the only thing missing in the commercial is tiger woods driving the car . … oooops . no need for a tiger . the volt is the star !

Aug 11th, 2008 (11:52 am)

Brad G # 43.

Thanks for the link. That car is definitely the Gremlin

Aug 11th, 2008 (12:05 pm)

#47 N Riley

What you’re asking for is a baby in six months. It can happen but you’ll get a baby which is small, sickly, and require lots of post birth care. A joke of course but there is the old saw about quality, features, and delivery date, and you get to pick two of the three.

The Volt delivery date is very aggressive as it is. I don’t think it can realistically be moved up.

As for the competition, I don’t see anything that will come out before the Volt, and the EVs that come out around the same time of the Volt will not be that competitive. I’d like to be wrong BTW.

Bruce Brown

Bruce Brown

Aug 11th, 2008 (12:07 pm)

They keep showing the great looking Volt concept, not the one we saw photos of the other day. While we didn’t see the whole car, I saw enough of the production front end that verifies the real Volt won’t stand out like the concept.

Schmeltz

Schmeltz

Aug 11th, 2008 (12:08 pm)

#32 ThomC
    Excellent post remarking about the message of the commercial.

I personally thought it was one of the best car commercials I’ve seen in years. It gives a neat perspective over time and the way things have changed, then leading into the hoped for future–electric cars. Well done on the commercial!

Statik

Aug 11th, 2008 (12:15 pm)

#50 noel park

Your are getting really ‘antsy’ my friend. I know the feeling…maybe you need a day off or something, hehe.

Or you could hibernate for a couple months Plan to wake up for the Detroit autoshow in January (where you will see it for sure) or just sleep for a couple months and we should at the very least start getting some ‘leaked’ blurry/camo spyshots to ease the public into it.

I’ll leave you with three words to keep you coming back for more, “very near future”

Another random Wagoner quote from today, I thought was mildly interesting, “I would say, from an assembly perspective [the pain] is largely behind us,” Mr Wagoner told the Financial Times in Shanghai, after attending the opening ceremony of the Beijing Olympic games.

July’s annualised rate for US car sales of 12.7m units, “is not a long-term sustainable position”, Mr Wagoner said, noting that GM needs to “stay on the balls of our feet until we feel that that is behind us and I don’t think that’s going to happen for a while”.

Aug 11th, 2008 (12:19 pm)

#52 Rashid — Nice avatar you added.

Joe OBrien

Joe OBrien

Aug 11th, 2008 (12:27 pm)

People actually still watch the Olympics???

Boooring.

noel park

Aug 11th, 2008 (12:33 pm)

#58 Joe OBrien:

Right. Plus a blatant propaganda platform for the PRC, or whoever else hosts it, come to that. No thanks.

noel park

Aug 11th, 2008 (12:43 pm)

#50 Statik:

No s**t, my friend.

I think that Jim I summed it up quite nicely at #11. When can the likes of us expect to get our hands on a Volt? 2012? If then? Toyota will sell another million+ Priuses by then. When I repeat the old cliche, “The future is now”, I mean that, unless something radically changes, GM will quite likely not be around to see it. I mean, you have said it about 1000 times already. So it makes me really sad, and more than a little angry.

BTW, I read those quotes from Mr. Wagoner 3 times, and I have no idea what he is talking about. “Translation Mr. Spock?” – er, Statik?

Aug 11th, 2008 (1:35 pm)

#50 Noel Park

“I have zero interest in Volt commercials. Show me some hardware.”

I cannot agree more. I am getting very burned out with the waiting. I am ready to see the car.

#53 DonC

“What you’re asking for is a baby in six months. It can happen but you’ll get a baby which is small, sickly, and require lots of post birth care.”

I seem to remember GM saying they were going to have up to several hundred pre-production modes of the Volt on the road by early summer 2009 for testing and feed back. All I am asking is to speed that up to early 2009 which would allow most of 2009 for testing and feed back. If they can do that, they can get some cars on the market by early to late spring of 2010 in limited numbers with increasing volume coming in late 2010 and early 2011. That only advances their schedule by 6 months, which I believe is possible.

GM needs to get the Volt on the market that extra 6 months early to get a jump on their number one competitor, Toyota. By the end of 2010, we will see several automakers with cars that will compete very good with the Volt in most people’s minds and pocket books. Pocket book issues will play a very heavy role for most buyers by 2010. GM needs to get on the move ASAP.

It doesn’t have to be a Volt like vehicle to be competitive. The Prius in its planned update and the plug-in due in 2010 will be very competitive. The Honda hybrid will be very competitive. When I say cometitive, I mean they will be selling to buyers who could be potential Volt buyers. If GM does not have volume enough on the Volt or does not offer vehicles that could compete, such as a two-mode hybrid Malibu, those sales are going to go somewhere besides to GM.

Aspherical

Aspherical

Aug 11th, 2008 (1:37 pm)

Where is my Volt? I’m getting the shakes trying to kick this OIL addiction!

Aspherical wants Volt now! Aspherical ANGRY! Aspherical SMASH!

Aug 11th, 2008 (1:46 pm)

#62 Aspherical

That attitude does not agree with the Avatar you have chosen. The Thinking Man would imply vast patience which you, Noel Park, myself and many others are not displaying much of these days.

SamH

SamH

Aug 11th, 2008 (1:50 pm)

In regards to all of the 120V vs. 220V discussion above, does anyone know what the required amperage would be? I could be wrong, but I think this is the bigger factor. I’ve had to upgrade electrical panels in two older houses I’ve owned because they only had 150 or 200 Amp panels.

Aspherical

Aspherical

Aug 11th, 2008 (1:50 pm)

#63 N Riley

Very true. Although, when The Thinking Man goes ballistic, you know the s**t has hit the fan… :)

MC

MC

Aug 11th, 2008 (1:50 pm)

On the whole a great commercial, but I’d really like to have seen the Volt ending be a little different… The current static shot in the grass doesn’t give it any “life”, like it’s battery is dead. ;)

Instead, with all the action of the commercial, it’d be nice to leave just the road there (since folks still want to drive) and have a Volt roll up, a family of 4 jump out and snap some pictures of the pretty scenery, and then hop back in and drive away (silently, of course)…

Aug 11th, 2008 (1:55 pm)

Aspherical #67:

Thank you for making my point from my post #11!

Noah Nehm

Noah Nehm

Aug 11th, 2008 (2:09 pm)

I’m pretty excited about GM’s move. It seems that for once, they are in the right place at the right time. There is a whole host of technologies that are maturing as we speak, which makes the EV inevitable:

1) Li-Ion Battery advances, with the possibility of even higher densities and longer life (and even using Sodium instead of Lithium)
    2) Thermo-electric power recovery, which will allow perhaps as much as 5-10% of the total thermal energy produced by an engine to be directly recovered from the exhaust.
    3) Advances in material manufacturing, particularly carbon fiber processes. Titanium is even becoming cheaper to manufacture due to a new process from ORNL.
    4) Internal Combustion Engines that have a much higher power/weight ratio, e.g., the RadMax engine and others, which may be more appropriate for powering an internal generator.
    5) Advances in membranes for direct methanol fuel cells, which may make the idea of a hydrogen reformer obsolete.
    7) Advances in power electronics that reduce switching losses in high current applications.
    8 ) Advances in coupled magnetic, mechanical, and thermal modeling which has pushed the design of more powerful traction motors.

All these things are going to come together to change the way we drive. I’m certain of it. It’s a good thing that GM is on top of this.

Tangentially, here’s a question: How much has GM’s design experience with the EV1 has helped them with the volt? Anyone know?

Aug 11th, 2008 (2:11 pm)

Soon Grasshopper, very soon.
    Take CAre,
    |TED

Aug 11th, 2008 (2:27 pm)

#47 N Riley

“GM needs to get some production models on the street in the hundreds ASAP (early 2009) to test the car thoroughly and work out any kinks. If the car is proven, production should start in early 2010 and put at least a 100,000 on the road in 2010. The public will be ready to take every single one made.”

—your so last year on your expectations, hehe

Remember where the bar used to be? 100k, then 60K in 2010, working prototypes in 07? hehe.

“GM Reiterates 2010 Target Launch Date/ Working Prototype By End of 2007″

“Bob Lutz once said 60,000 to 100,000 Volts the firs year. Is this still your target?”

“Lutz: Volt Prototype Road Tests Bumped to July”–”The very first public plans were for media road tests on Easter. This was then changed to company road tests in April and media road tests in June.”…now, “the first Chevy Volt prototype road tests with working lithium-ion battery packs have been moved to July.”

(Wonder what happened to those?)

/good times

I think you have to prepare yourself for waiting longer on whatever GM gives out as intial dates. It sucks, but that is the trend.

Aug 11th, 2008 (2:50 pm)

#61 N Riley:

I totally agree with you. GM has to come up with some competitive cars – 2 mode Malibu, super high mileage Cruze, SOMETHING – before 2012, or the competition will eat them alive.

Shawn Marshall

Shawn Marshall

Aug 11th, 2008 (2:54 pm)

GM is sandbagging you tired boys.
    They’re trying to mousetrap Toy-ota with talk of big prices and long schedules.
    As deep as their trouble is, you gotta think they want the Volt as soon as possible and as cheap as possible. A niche vehicle won’t help them at all.

dagwood55

dagwood55

Aug 11th, 2008 (3:23 pm)

Why would GM spend giant chunks of money (it’s $750K/30sec spot to advertise in the Olympics) and show a car that will never be built?

The only reason that occurs to me… the final design isn’t yet ready.

Aug 11th, 2008 (3:42 pm)

#72 Shawn Marshall:

Well I sure hope you’re right!

omegaman66

omegaman66

Aug 11th, 2008 (3:50 pm)

Statik don’t you know it take 2.3 years to bring a commercial from the concept to the final product and only THEN does it start airing!!! hehe

Guido Sarduchi

Guido Sarduchi

Aug 11th, 2008 (4:07 pm)

GM is moving way way too slow with their EV program. Tesla,Phoenix,Zenn,Nissan,Daimler-Benz and possibly even Chrysler will all have EVs in production BEFORE GM gets their act together. If the tiny production numbers (10k + 60k + ??k) are true this is confirmation that GM is not serious about producing an EV to the masses. The other auto makers will dwarf these GM numbers. I think GM is only doing the EV thing for publicity gains since they see how the Prius has given Toyota a Green Halo. In the end this is a half-baked effort that will fall short compared to the more aggressive competition.

Jake

Jake

Aug 11th, 2008 (4:20 pm)

I liked the commercial. HOWEVER, I feel GM is not casting the Volt’s all-electric range in the proper light. Maybe this is just me, but I think many people will hear the “40 miles without gas” and think “Hmph, that’s barely going to make a dent in my everyday driving.” I think GM needs to clearly state that the majority of auto owners drive 40 miles or less during the day. Then people will do a double-take and think, “Oh yeah, I guess I actually do drive pretty short distances most of the time.” If GM does not TELL people that, on a day-to-day basis, 40 miles is a significant chunk of driving, then I fear they will not connect the dots themselves.

Aug 11th, 2008 (4:25 pm)

#76 Guido Sarduchi:

A Green Halo only helps if you have some other products that people want to buy beneath the halo.

Speaking of haloes, do you suppose that you could give Mr. Wagoner and Mr. Lutz some helpful spiritual guidance, good Father?

It is a blessing to see your name sort of miraculously appear here. It may be that only the intervention of a Higher Power can save the day!

Aug 11th, 2008 (4:28 pm)

#76 Guido Sarduchi

Sorry, but I don’t agree with your statement. I don’t think GM is only trying to gain some green halo. I don’t always know what GM is doing or why they are doing it, but I do know what GM had better be doing. We have stated it over and over here on this forum. I don’t want to repeat what we all think GM should be doing. it is obvious to most of us. Time will tell if they do what they should.

Aug 11th, 2008 (4:30 pm)

#70 Statik, referring to delays from previously mentioned dates, said
    “Wonder what happened to those?”

Speculating, what happened to cause delay: Perhaps it was the change in engine to the 1.4L. It may be a good long-term change, but things were set back in the short term in that it took a while to find out the earlier plan didn’t work, to “reconfigure” the engine compartment for the new larger engine, and now to “redevelop” the ICE/battery combination.

It doesn’t seem likely that there’s a delay associated with the battery, as they seem to have enough for prototypes. There could be a delay associated with the uncertatnty over who will get the contract, and the wish to not show of cars until that’s decided.

I’m confident there is no delay from less than maximum effort on it.

If either of the above is the main cause, there’s no reason for delays to accumulate, unless the battery is further delayed.

Aug 11th, 2008 (4:34 pm)

#70 Statik

I was just wishing the schedule could be improved. We are all ready for the Volt.

mikeinatl.

mikeinatl.

Aug 11th, 2008 (4:34 pm)

If I were their marketing guru, I would announce the VOLT for Oct. 2010 at $40K plus. And appear to be struggling to meet that date and price.

Then I would make it available three months early at $35K. Complete with auto magazine articles raving about it, etc.

That would be a real coup.

In the world of marketing among auto industry giants, a misinformation campaign to “head-fake” your competition might just be a stroke of genius.

It might also help to garner the maximum tax credits possible from Congress.

Is GM that smart? Hope so.

Aug 11th, 2008 (4:46 pm)

I simply disagree that GM can somehow magically move up the introduction timeframe, when there is no assembly line on the planet ready to go to produce these massive quantities of high capacity, high reliability, battery packs.

So if GM does “only” make 10,000 units the first year, that still puts them over all of the competition combined, by a factor of ten……….

Aug 11th, 2008 (5:04 pm)

#61 N. Riley – “GM needs to get the Volt on the market that extra 6 months early to get a jump on their number one competitor, Toyota.”

I share your desire to see the Volt tomorrow. I sure don’t want to wait. However, perhaps from having worked on tech projects, it always takes a lot longer than you think.

The Volt will need a ton of new software and new tech, and you can’t rush things and maintain quality. I’m sure the folks at GM are trying their level best. If you note, Tesla missed its date by a year. The prototypes showed up in July 2006 but the first “production” car didn’t show up until this spring, and even now we can’t say they’re in production — they haven’t made enough cars at this point for a GM prototype program.

The ABC new interview with the analyst had it about right. He said the roll-out date was incredibly aggressive because, while the timetable was about right for an ICE car, the Volt was going to have completely new technology. It’s like driving in the summer. Best be prepared for delays. If you don’t hit any then you’re pleasantly surprised.

GM and the other big manufacturers are like battleships. It takes a long time to turn them around and to get them pointed in the right direction but, when you do, they can do some damage.

Aug 11th, 2008 (5:07 pm)

Brad G #43

“Good eyes… The non Chevy car in the commercial is an AMC Gremlin… ”

*** *** ***

IIRC the Gremlin and Pacer both had Chevy straight sixes in them. In fact I don’t think that AMC made many of the engines that went in their cars.

akojim

akojim

Aug 11th, 2008 (5:27 pm)

That was a fun ad.

I read that a 30 second TV ad during this year’s Olympics broadcast costs about $750,000.

Um… let’s see.. run the ad 500 times and GM has spent every cent from the sales of the first 10,000 Volts on which they claim they will really take a beating by selling at only $40,000.

I have an idea. How about running the ads only 250 times and selling me a Volt for $20,000.

jefro

jefro

Aug 11th, 2008 (5:27 pm)

Yet what was leaked as a peek isn’t what is above at all.???

jim

jim

Aug 11th, 2008 (5:35 pm)

mam o man do i want a volt

my lease is up on my monte carlo ss (13.7 mpg) next year Dec 09

if i can’t roll into a volt from that i think i’ll buy a used honda insight
    and wait for my new volt but i’m done with the V8

canehdian

canehdian

Aug 11th, 2008 (5:39 pm)

“Li-Ion Battery advances, with the possibility of even higher densities and longer life (and even using Sodium instead of Lithium)”

Why don’t we just use Francium while we’re at it ;)

P.S. this commercial is all about exposure – whether they build the volt or not, people will be interested in what GM does in the future.
    At least they’ll know they HAD some plans. Whether they work or not will be another story.
    (I sure hope they last long enough to sell me a volt.)

Aug 11th, 2008 (5:40 pm)

#83 Jim I

“If GM is going to get “blown away” by the competition, where exactly are they going to get those battery packs? That is the deciding factor of when these cars go to market!”

Exactly, no one is coming to market with 500,000…heck 50,000 of anything, anytime soon, so this is a very valid point. I don’t think anyone’s ‘EV’ is unmarketable because of competition probably for a decade, lol.

“And from what I read, the competitor companies are talking about producting “hundreds” of vehicles in the 2010-2011 timeframe. So if GM does “only” make 10,000 units the first year, that still puts them over all of the competition combined, by a factor of ten…”

I don’t see how GM going to produce any numbers at all before their competitors, let alone 10,000K? We are TWO years and THREE months from their production claim? How is that timeline possible? They don’t even have a battery supplier chosen…and that supplier has no factories built or production lines in development.

I don’t think you can believe in GM’s ‘production in 2010′ at all now (let alone the original 100K, or then 60K, or then 10K in 2010)…they have NOTHING, absolutely NOTHING happening that would even remotely suggest production in 2010.

There is no working prototype, there is no fleet of mules being tested, there is no car plant, there is no machinery being prepared for a production line, there is no battery supplier at all, on top of that, there is no battery supplier that even has a plant. What about gov’t testing? Is it even humanly possible at this point?

At some point shenanigans have to be called and the timeline/initial capacity has to be changed. You have to think that time is coming soon.

As a comparison, Mitsu has been fleet testing for over two years, they have 150 on the road right now, they have had a prototypes/mules for three years total, they have a fully operation car line, they own their own battery plant that can produce batteries right now, which is being ramped up from 2K in 2009 to start spitting out 10,000/year (including year 2009), and they are still saying 12 months before anyone can expect deliveries.

I think Mitsu gives us a road map of sorts of how long the process takes, they are certainly the most ambitious on getting to market.

/my opinion only

Aug 11th, 2008 (5:42 pm)

RB #57 says,
    Rashiid, Nice avatar you added.

Thanks. I thought it would stand out rather nicely.
    It makes it easier to find my ramblings and pointless comments. ;)

Aug 11th, 2008 (5:51 pm)

Other random news.

GM has cut a bunch of dealer incentives, mostly ‘free travel’ perks, etc. TAC posted a PDF copies of all the letter GM sent out to it’s dealers, might be interesting to some:

Fortunately, they have ‘retained’ the ‘Recognition Reward Plaque’ for dealers and ‘Desktop Reward/Businees Cards’ for salesmen.

Obviously stuff like this had to go, just a interesting read to pass some time I thought.

Aug 11th, 2008 (6:25 pm)

#86 akojim says,

That was a fun ad.

—————-
    LOL. What a great idea. I’d be happy with that, as would most people here.

Aug 11th, 2008 (6:27 pm)

#83 Jim I & #90 Statik:

This week’s Los Angeles Business Journal lists the 25 top selling “automobiles” in LA County. The top 12 include 6 Toyota models, 3 Hondas, 1 Nissan, 1 BMW(!) and 1 Lexus. The Silverado is 13th, the F150 18th and the Tahoe 25th. There are NO GM, Ford or Chrysler CARS in the top 25. If Mr. Wagoner wants to talk about “unsustainable”, this is it.

Maybe the Cruze will help to fill the gap, but it isn’t coming until 2010, right? Maybe a 2 mode Malibu would help. Something has to give. The Aveo and the Cobalt are not going to get it done in this market.

Aug 11th, 2008 (6:30 pm)

#86 akojim & # 93 Rashiid Amul:

Amen!

Aug 11th, 2008 (6:30 pm)

Noel Park, #94,

Speaking of an Aveo, I saw one the other day for the first time.
    I thought to myself, “That’s what the guys on GM-Volt.com are talking about.”

I have to admit, there is no accounting for taste, but that car is far
    from attractive. Very far.

Eric E

Eric E

Aug 11th, 2008 (6:31 pm)

Testing testing 1, 2…

My gravitar doesn’t work. :(

Aug 11th, 2008 (6:32 pm)

Nice gravatar, Eric E.
    A giant black hole. :)

Aug 11th, 2008 (6:34 pm)

#96 Rashiid Amul:

My problem is the gas mileage, which just doesn’t get it in the face of the Yaris and the Fit.

GM Volt Fan

GM Volt Fan

Aug 11th, 2008 (6:40 pm)

I thought the background music was pretty good for this ad. It fit the theme for “progress in the auto industry” and the Volt is going to be MAJOR progress alright … a BIG leap forward for the auto industry. Like one of the GM executives said in an interview I read … it’s a whole new DNA for automobiles.

It’s going to be a LONG 2+ years before we see Volts in showrooms. It would be great if GM could crank them out sooner, but I’d rather see them “get er done RIGHT” instead of just “get er done”. I want people in 2017 to look back at Volt 1.0 and say … “wow, GM really got their act together with that first Volt … it’s still a very nice car.”

The first Volts off the assembly line might be collector’s items in 20 years. Never know. If Lyle gets one of the first Volts off the line, he might think about only driving it for 50,000 miles or something and then keeping it in a garage as a collector’s item. It might be worth big money someday like 1953 Corvettes or one of my personal favorite classic sports cars … the Ferrari 365 GTS Daytona:

Noah Nehm

Noah Nehm

Aug 11th, 2008 (6:56 pm)

canehdian:

While it’s true Sodium is more reactive, Sodium and Lithium’s reactivity are pretty similar relatively speaking. Lithium’s electronegativity is 0.98 and Sodium’s is 0.93 on the Pauling scale.

Here’s a nice link for reactivity:

Aug 11th, 2008 (6:58 pm)

#99 Noel Park says,

Agreed.

Aug 11th, 2008 (7:41 pm)

noel park #94

“In the short term, if GM gets “blown away”, it won’t be because somebody is producing hundreds of thousands of “Volt beaters”. It will be because GM has no effective answer for the existing Prius, next generation Honda hybrid(s), rumored Hyundai or Kia hybrid, and all of the other conventional small cars the competition is offering.”

*** *** ***

I don’t think GM will produce any hybrids that aren’t already well on their way. With E-flex coming and a product development cycle of 3-4 years you’re looking at costs to develop something that GM doesn’t have and will be obsolete by the time the Volt hits the streets. It’s a calculated gamble, and interestingly FWIW two neighbors within a couple of weeks of each other just bought brand new Buick Enclaves. They must really be discounting these things even though at 24mpg highway they’re not guzzlers on a level with the Excursion and Suburban.

AndyChuck

AndyChuck

Aug 11th, 2008 (7:48 pm)

Hey guys, Lyle’s getting some mainstream media attention! There is an article out from Dow Jones Newswire about Lyle’s waiting list hitting 33,000. Check it out here:

Looks like Noel Park got quoted in the article. (Hmmm I wonder why Lyle didn’t give them Statik’s contact info… =)

Go Lyle… this should bring even more Volt crazies over to this little site of yours!

Aug 11th, 2008 (7:52 pm)

#97 Eric E

#98 Rashiid

“Nice gravatar, Eric E.
    A giant black hole. ”

Your so wrong. I see the Volt production prototype….at nighttime.

Talks

Talks

Aug 11th, 2008 (7:53 pm)

Lyle..

Your name and website is mentioned in the below cnn link. Also mentioned about waitinglist count.

Aug 11th, 2008 (8:29 pm)

Noel Park also comments in that article. Thanks for posting it.

Ed M

Ed M

Aug 11th, 2008 (8:31 pm)

They’ve been showing the Volt in ads for weeks. I guess the Volt is freaking out the oil producers with oil at a new low for July and August. This will help the airlines but will it change the minds of car buyers. I wouldn’t be surprised to see oil below $100 in the near future.

Grizzly: you need a shave (love that little pic:)

Mark H.

Mark H.

Aug 11th, 2008 (8:51 pm)

This is nuts, I just keep thinking that more could be done. They built 100 Fuel Cell Equinox’s and they could have bulit them with ICE, and had them on the road right now. Why are they waiting, it they could be selling CUV’s with electic drive right now. This stupid idea that H2 is the way to go is nuts. Only big oil wants H2, the fuel cell costs $100′s of K and they say batteries are to much please! Big oil wants H2, so they can keep selling to us and making us bow to them every time someone in the middle east sneezes. Big oil burn excess H2 and other light oils sin ce it can’t sell them, why not make H2 cars so they can keep selling it to us. It drives me nuts why not make Battery – ICE cars and trucks. GM has all the peices all it needs to do it plug and play. If they wait to long it will be plug and pray. Too bad I told my physics classes over 10 years ago that there would be electric cars. Too bad that CARB and Rick Wagner killed the EV-1 rather than using what they learned and applying it to other vehicles they burned the plans. It is like NASA throw away something that works for some thing that costs more and doesn’t work as well. Go figure, that is what is wrong with corparate America too much let’s make profit now and not think about tomorrow.

George K

George K

Aug 11th, 2008 (9:12 pm)

I liked the ad, but…

Not everyone will make the connection. I didn’t realize that the building was a gas station, as my attention was on the foreground. The action moves pretty fast.

So when the Volt was shown in the end with no building and “man’s progress”, I didn’t relate it to, “oh, I get it. In the future we won’t need gas stations”

I showed it to my wife, and she thought the same thing… that the building was a 50′s style restaurant with waitresses on skates.
    To make the point, I would have made it much more obvious that it was a gas station. Also, I would have shown the mountain in color in the beginning exactly as it looked in the end. So that when you see the Volt in the end you realize it’s the same location as the beginning. Ok, I started out building a gas station and now I don’t need one because the Volt doesn’t need gas.

As I say, I like the message, I just think it was lost on a lot of people. I just wish there were a faster way to say, “most people won’t need to buy gas, except on a trip, where you’ll get 50 miles per gallon”.

john1701a

john1701a

Aug 11th, 2008 (9:38 pm)

90 >> …no one is coming to market with 500,000 – heck 50,000 of anything, anytime soon…

Forgetting that FULL hybrids can be upgraded after purchase, eh?

Having that option of augmentation later is not something to dismiss so easily. A battery breakthru down the road combined with climbing gas prices spells opportunity for the aftermarket, as well as enticement for consumers.

Adam

Adam

Aug 11th, 2008 (9:38 pm)

GM must of fired the dude who did the dog licking the foot thing.. So much better, I was actually surprised!

Aug 11th, 2008 (9:47 pm)

Adam #111

“GM must of fired the dude who did the dog licking the foot thing.”

*** *** ***

It does make you wonder if the dog lick ad was done by the same company that over the years had grown so accustomed to GM’s mediocrity they got in the habit of creating Ads. w/o vehicles in them to divert attention. ;)

Chris2

Chris2

Aug 11th, 2008 (9:55 pm)

Nice ad…I like it. And then maybe someday, SUVs and trucks that can be powered like the Volt….

Grizzly

Aug 11th, 2008 (11:11 pm)

They will, this is why E-flex is so critical to GM’s success. If the road to future prosperity was matching the Japanese and Koreans on small cars it would be a slow grind to the end. Once this technology takes off there will be pickups and even large SUVs on the road again and eventually they’ll be powered from rooftop(home) PVs. I just don’t think it’s in Americans to overwhelmingly migrate to tiny 2 seat cars.

Tagamet

Tagamet

Aug 11th, 2008 (11:14 pm)

Have Faith.
    Be well,
    Tag

\Statik, please disregard.

fred

fred

Aug 11th, 2008 (11:27 pm)

I’ll bet I can get 50 miles per charge but I’ll never prove it cuz my commute is 19 miles each way and I have eleven different extension cords all ready plugged in and hidden at work. Every time I’m caught charging at work I’ll just move to a new location. Life is going to be wonderfull! No gasoline to get back and forth to work, No retard leading the country.

Chevy Volt Ad Video

Chevy Volt Ad Video

Aug 12th, 2008 (12:25 am)

[...] pkulak first collected Added 12 Aug 08 from gm-volt.com [...]

Ryan P

Ryan P

Aug 12th, 2008 (12:28 am)

I sent the following letter to my local newspaper, and want to share it:

Editor,
    Let me get this straight. The oil companies are raking in record profits while Iraq has an $80 Billion (with a ‘B’) surplus that came out of taxpayer’s pockets? I don’t have very much influence in this world, but I’ll tell you two things that I’ve done that make me feel like I’ve done something about it. One: I just mailed a check to the Obama campaign. Two: I’m already signed up on the waiting list (287 out of 31,089) for the new Chevrolet Volt electric vehicle due out in November 2010. Buh-bye OPEC.

Aug 12th, 2008 (1:44 am)

The Gas Station Volt ad is amazing. First, it grabs you. I was recording and viewing the Olympics on the computer in HD, so I saved the ad to view it again and again, slowing it down to view every detail. The ad should be shown frame by frame in schools across the nation in history class as an assignment on how corporate America can creatively teach history through advertisment! The park bench characters feature their own history. Notice how the bus drops off the solder after “War Ends” appears on the newspaper and how the family reunion occurs. Could it be their hippy son waiting while the 1959 Cadillac, 1965 Mustang and finally that Chevy van appears to probably take the kid to Woodstock. These are the images of multiple generations taking place in seconds!

Second, the high speed building and demolishing of gas stations for a hundred years clearly showed the mess we have created. Gas prices rising and falling in the ad appeared to be accurate. Did you notice the guy holding the “Sorry, No Gas Until 10 am” sign from the 1973 gas rationing? And the final station falling apart, with graffiti and missing gas pumps showing what happens after GM brings out the current gas saving new cars! Brilliant.

Finally, the “Dawn Oil Co.” was the name of the business. We are on the dawn of a new era in how we power our cars. The ad brings it home again by going to a night shot with the Volt appearing at the dawn of a new day with the these words: “And one day, Chevy Volt. A car that can go up to 40 miles before it uses any gas at all. That’s an American Revolution.”

GM is building knowledge about the Volt to those who never Google or view GM-Volt. Consider that wecansolveit.org started their ad campaign on the Olympics this week most likely because of the energy ads from Obama and McCain. It’s a perfect time for GM to be shouting their accomplishments and future plans during the Olympics. The Volt ads will be viewed again and again as the personal recordings of the Olympics are replayed.

As we wait for the Volt to be manufactured, tested and delivered, many more companies will announce products. By getting the Volt brand name in the news today, it will continue to be mentioned with every announcement of other products. The public and periodicals will compare the cars when they are in the show rooms. The flexibility of electric/gas powered cars will win the hearts of America when compared with electric power alone.

Aug 12th, 2008 (5:42 am)

Talks #105. Thank you for posting that article.

Nice comment by Noel Park on it too.

Aug 12th, 2008 (6:15 am)

#83 Jim says “RB #80 and everyone else that thinks GM is dogging it on their production times and quantities:”

I’m not sure what “dogging” means in the comment. I do think they have had some delays associated with the engine change.

Aug 12th, 2008 (8:54 am)

An outstanding ad: The more times I look at this video, the better this ad turns out to be. This one minute will become a classic.

noel park

Aug 12th, 2008 (11:39 am)

#105 Talks:

Thanks for the link. I probably would never have seen it otherwise.

#120 Rashiid Amul:

Thanks. I blabbed at that poor woman nonstop for about 10 minutes. I have been interviewed a few times before on other issues, and it is always interesting and scary to see what tiny nugget they are going to pick out of all that flood of talk. I dunno, I hope it helps the cause.

noel park

Aug 12th, 2008 (11:50 am)

#103 & #114 Grizzly:

Points taken. I am just so worried about what is going to happen in the meantime.

Back before I found GM-Volt.com, I used to follow Fastlane. I suggested then that they have the Corvette race team, or somebody, do a crash fuel economy project on the Aveo and the Cobalt. Get rid of as much weight as possible, lower, aero tweak, low rolling resistance tires, remap the engine management system just the usual simple stuff.

They have sort of done that with the Cobalt XFE, or whatever it’s called, but it’s only the coupe, and only the manual trans. They could extend the “XFE” concept across the Aveo/Cobalt line and claim some priceless mileage bragging rights, I think without breaking the bank.

mikeinatl.

mikeinatl.

Aug 12th, 2008 (1:37 pm)

When you watch this ad frame by frame it become more and more clear that this is an exceptionally composed way of telling the story.

The more I watch it the more I am convinced it is a masterpiece of advertising.

Congratulations to the ad team that created this.

Aaron

Aaron

Aug 12th, 2008 (5:05 pm)

Watching that almost made me cry……They’re really going to do it!!!

Aug 13th, 2008 (3:13 pm)

#68 Noah Nehm Says: “There is a whole host of technologies that are maturing as we speak, which makes the EV inevitable: …
    6) Advances in permanent magnet production, particularly with the advances in the materials science related to the samarium cobalt magnet.”
    ——————————————————————————————–
    The Volt’s electric motor does not use any magnets. The Volt uses an AC induction motor. See here for details:

tony

tony

Aug 14th, 2008 (12:26 am)

When will GM start talking about price and warranty? It’s nice
    to get the Public all pumped up about a new product only to have it
    out of reach of the average wage earner. At age 67 I doublt that I will ever see one on the road and I know I’ll never be able to afford one if it does make it to the public.

Mark

Mark

Aug 18th, 2008 (11:58 pm)

Is the Volt a serial hybrid? If it is then the gas engine can be removed and more batteries fitted. Just removing the engine and associated equipment will add to the 40 mile battery range. This won’t likely happen with new Volts, but after about 5 years when they start showing some age, dents, and maybe even some engine failures, hobbyists will convert some to full battery electric cars. GM will not like this at all.

Mark

Mark

Aug 19th, 2008 (12:06 am)

I’m tired of the talk about hybrids. I want a pure battery electric car, but I don’t think we will see one built by the car companies we grew up with.
    Who does not want EV’s in our driveways:
    -Legacy Automakers, because they, and their dealer networks do not earn enough revenue by selling cars. A look at how large their service departments are (and our out-of-wallet experience with them) shows what’s at stake revenue-wise because EV’s never need service beyond tire changes. EV’s don’t even need brake jobs due to electronic regenerative braking that does most of the work. Their ordinary friction brake pads and rotors thus last the life of the car (as shown on the Toyota electric Rav4).
    The large established car companies depend on their service department, like printer companies depend on sales of ink cartridges. So why did Toyota sell the Rav4 instead of leasing and crushing as GM did with the EV1? It’s a mystery, but I came across a blog that mentioned that a Toyota exec at a public speech mistakenly said that the cars would be sold, and so to save face, Toyota reluctantly sold the Rav4. Buyers, however, now post on blogs that they actually had difficulty in getting the Toyota dealer to sell them an electric Rav4 and that they were highly pressured to instead buy a Gas Toyota or a Prius.
    -Oil companies, for obvious reasons. Note they are also major stockholders in auto companies and thus probably have influence over their board of directors.
    Business firms exist to make profits, but profits are going to be reduced if EV’s replace the ICE car. Much of our economy is based on the automobile, and its upkeep. Almost every business is related in some way to the car. What will happen to employment if the need to service a car is practically eliminated?
    What happens to Midas, Pepboys, Kragen’s, smog check, AMCO, gas stations, Jiffylube, general service repair centers, the manufacturing plants that fabricate repair parts, the UPS people that deliver the parts, the corner deli or Taco Bells frequented by those firm’s workers at lunchtime? What about government agencies that depend on collecting all manner of tax revenue from the above interlinked economy?
    If people understand this scenario, then they will understand why they can’t yet buy an EV from the legacy business infrastructure. Only recently can one sniff the scent of a potential EV from start-up EV manufacturers like Tesla (too costly for mass production partly because they hand-solder a battery pack of 6000 Lithium AA sized cells together in series-parallel groups), Aptera, and even the tiny BugE, etc., because a startup company does not need to address the risk that a service-free vehicle will parasitically affect revenue from other parts of its company. And startups probably are not in business relations with oil companies either. One interesting emerging EV contender is the Chinese and their unstoppable manufacturing base. Google the “Miles EV” and “Thunder Sky” Lithium battery (which can replace the suppressed NiMH battery. Google “95 AH Large Format NiMH battery” to see that a 30 million dollar lawsuit dismantled the Panasonic plant that built these batteries that gave the Toyota Rav4 EV more than 100 miles of highway speed range- 10 years ago). The Chinese don’t have any obligations to any western business or oil cartel. Although they are importing oil at increasing rates, I think they are taking steps to limit dependency on oil by mass producing EVs. A $4000 Lithium powered highway speed scooter motorcycle just appeared from China: the “XM-3500Li” You can buy it now online.
    Curiously, Nissan’s CEO has advocated a pure EV but I have a hard time believing he really will build one and that the announcement is mostly PR “green washing” in nature. After all, Nissan has service centers, too.

Grizzly

Aug 19th, 2008 (12:11 am)

mark says #130

“Is the Volt a serial hybrid?”

*** *** ***
    Be very careful. The Volt and any other RE EV is/are not hybrids at all.
    Hybrids can save fuel, but as a country our path to energy independence WILL center upon RE electric vehicles, not “hybrids”, and rest assured the distinction is *NOT* small.

Mark

Mark

Aug 19th, 2008 (12:14 am)

“Safety is/was a concern with Lithium, and you want to use a more reactive material?
    Why don’t we just use Francium while we’re at it ;)

The latest Lithium chemistry LiFePO4 is completely safe. It also has a very high cycle lifetime of at least 2000.

kathy

kathy

Oct 1st, 2008 (2:20 pm)

I LOVE this commercial! I can watch it over and over. The music goes so well with the visual and the visual is tremendous!

Lee Davis

Lee Davis

Nov 7th, 2008 (4:32 pm)

CLEO AWARD!! This is the best commercial I have ver seen. iT’S GOT TO WIN A CLEO.