After today’s financial press conference, GM vice-chair Bob Lutz gave some interviews.
Previously we had heard rumors the Chevy Beat might come to the U.S. market. It seemed an ideal car for the current market due to it’s small size and high fuel efficiency. But unfortunately Mr. Lutz told reporters that the car would not be coming here soon. The reason, per Mr. Lutz, was that the car was never designed for the U.S. and thus doesn’t meet crash and safety test requirements. To bring it up to those standards would take at least 2 years and cost too much money. As a consolation, he said the next generation Beat could make it to this country.
He also poured a little water over the Chevy Cruze, the new subcompact sedan with the potential for more than 40 mpg. Lutz said it wouldn’t replace the Cobalt anytime soon, as the latter car is "no where near the end of its life-cycle" and is "finally coming into its own."
He did however up the ante once again on how many Volts might be built. He told the Detroit News that GM would now be focusing all its efforts on high volume vehicles, saying "this is not the time for niche vehicles,” and “we can’t afford to hit singles and bunts. We need triples and home runs.”
He explained that any Volt volume productions were "iffy" because of the car’s reliance on new technologies and suppliers.
He did say however “we’re in uncharted territory. If global demand is there, my personal guess is that vehicles like the Volt could be 500,000 a year in a few years time.”
This entry was posted on Tuesday, July 15th, 2008 at 5:19 pm and is filed under Production. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.