May 18

Production Chevy Volt to be Revealed in Less Than 5 Months

Volt Aero image

GM has made significant aerodynamic changes to the original Volt concept they showed in early 2007, but I expect it to be very similar and very cool. The Volt team has already finalized the redesign. We’ve been shown partial teasers (above) and a camouflage 1/3 scale model, but haven’t yet seen the whole car.

A report has just been published indicating that, “the Volt will be seen in Paris in US production specification.” This presentation is to take place at the Paris Motor Show, which is scheduled for October 4-19. This is of course less than 5 months from now.

Volt lead designer Bob Boniface told me in early April that we will see the Volt “sooner rather than later”, and noted cars are usually revealed 2 to 3 year prior to the production date and at events where there is large media attention.

I would imagine, but can’t say for sure, that Europe is not likely to be the first place the world will see the Volt, but more likely, in its home country the U.S. The fact that Paris is aware they will have the production Volt model in October means GM must have planned to have revealed it already by then.

Since there are no major car shows (NY, LA, Detroit) between now and October, it must be that the car will be shown at some other major assembly.

As GM has not told me exactly when and where we will see it, I would only be guessing, but one thing is for sure, it will be very soon.

The article also seems to confirm GM is planning a production diesel E-Flex for Europe but not necessarily the Flextreme.

Source (Channel4)

This entry was posted on Sunday, May 18th, 2008 at 2:35 pm and is filed under Design, Production. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

aruby

aruby

May 18th, 2008 (2:39 pm)

you’re welcome.

May 18th, 2008 (2:43 pm)

If Paris is first, will VoltNation be meeting there?

Guy Incognito

Guy Incognito

May 18th, 2008 (2:45 pm)

If the Volt is to have true aerodynamic styling, it will look nothing like the concept vehicle that we’ve all come to know.
    To be honest I did’nt like the transparent roof, & I was’nt to happy with the front end either.
    I’m probably in the minority as a potential Volt buyer in that I’m not to concerned with the vehicle’s look. Like I said, I’m probably in the minority on this since with most people, the look of the car is very important.
    Form follows function.

Terry

Terry

May 18th, 2008 (2:59 pm)

Who in the world would want a diesel since that gas is escalating even higher quicker than regular gas?

srschrier

srschrier

May 18th, 2008 (3:19 pm)

Prestigious 2008 summer automotive events in the U.S. with global press coverage and glamorous locations, ideal for a major premiere?

In Michigan: “The 30th Concours d’Elegance at Meadow Brook Hall” from July 29 – August 3.

In California: “The Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance” from August 13-17.

Vincent

Vincent

May 18th, 2008 (3:23 pm)

Things are changing daily…Diesel was cheaper than gas in Europe from what I have read. Today at the moment, who knows?
    But giving the chance for Diesel I’ll take it since you can easily make Biodiesel with a simple reactor.

bruce g

bruce g

May 18th, 2008 (3:42 pm)

The Volt will be shown with its powertrain according to the article, and in US regalia,
    Now that is progress.

Heres hoping!

Jason M. Hendler

Jason M. Hendler

May 18th, 2008 (3:51 pm)

Sounds like GM plans to make a Volt with diesel range extender, just like they decided to make a Volt with fuel cell range extender, as opposed to reskinning the Volt specifically for diesel and fuel cell drivers. The Volt diesel was supposed to get the Opel nameplate and the Volt fuel cell was supposed to get the Cadillac nameplate.

koz

koz

May 18th, 2008 (3:55 pm)

If these reports and assumptions are true about the timing of the release, then my guess and hope is that GM has made a deal with Hollywood to have it featured in a high budget summer blockbuster movie.

Also, as posted in a thread a few months ago it would be great exposure as a NASCAR pace car and/or display down the road.

Grizzly

Grizzly

May 18th, 2008 (4:15 pm)

I’m not all that concerned with its looks either. My least favorite part of the concept was the front, so its redesign doesn’t bother me. GM has stated it was important that the vehicle look good and I’m sure it will.

I wonder if they won’t end up revealing it in a TV ad as opposed to an auto event. Might reach more people that way.

wirenutjd

wirenutjd

May 18th, 2008 (4:20 pm)

I wounder if GM would install E85 at all GM dealerships and the range extender motor operate off E85 and provide a 120-volt receptacle for charging while we are shopping there?

omegaman66

omegaman66

May 18th, 2008 (4:20 pm)

Diesel engines are favored on tractors in part because they last longer. Diesel can also be made cheaper than gasoline although a shortage of production in the USA currently has the price higher. People that make biodiesel would prefer the diesel.

Brian M

Brian M

May 18th, 2008 (4:33 pm)

I agree with Guy, #3: that glass roof has got to go.

bruce g

bruce g

May 18th, 2008 (4:57 pm)

On the subject of diesel our local newspaper motoring column reviewed the latest Jaguar and drove a diesel and gas model.
    They concluded the diesel was more powerful and more economical
    than the gas engine and could not see why any one would buy the gas engine.
    Times change.

May 18th, 2008 (4:57 pm)

Remember the saying “Styling sells cars.” My guess is that the Volt will be introduced during the Olympics, from Beijing.

Fort Collins Jim

Fort Collins Jim

May 18th, 2008 (5:01 pm)

This is a minor peeve about Chevy design. They are designing a world class car with world changing technology and an advanced aerodynamic body and they are going to stick that big ugly Chevy gold cross on the nose. They need to take a look at the Chevy emblem from the sixties that were smaller, different colors and sometimes sported racing flags. It complemented
    the car’s looks rather than detracted from it. Show some pride!

Brian M

Brian M

May 18th, 2008 (5:11 pm)

ok since everyone else is guessing… I guess the Volt will be unveiled on July 4th, at the foot of the Washington Monument in D.C. under a barrage of fireworks.

Vincent

Vincent

May 18th, 2008 (5:17 pm)

I think we all be very pleasantly surprised and Impressed.

Keerthi

Keerthi

May 18th, 2008 (5:19 pm)

Brian M @ 16

I’m not sure where the launch could be.

July 4 would be a fitting statement to declare independence from oil.

Jim F.

Jim F.

May 18th, 2008 (5:23 pm)

General Motors is celebrating its centennial this year. The theme is “GMNext” and will occur late July and August.

I vote that it will be displayed at one of the centennial events.

Demetrius

Demetrius

May 18th, 2008 (5:43 pm)

I can only assume that the Volt will look incredible. This is not just another car. It is much more important than that.

A whole industry is waiting for this – we want this and we need this.

Jake

Jake

May 18th, 2008 (6:39 pm)

The Volt’s range extender will not be directly moving the car, which may partially negate diesel’s benefit over gasoline. However, I do not know the details on this. Aside from the ability to run it on biodiesel, would a diesel range extender be much better than a gasoline one in terms of efficiency for electricity generation?

bruce g

bruce g

May 18th, 2008 (6:59 pm)

Jake,
    I do not think all diesels are born equal.
    The Jag diesel is a turbo’d common rail diesel,presumeably from the Ford collection.
    The question of relative efficiency depends to some extent on whose engines are they.

Van

Van

May 18th, 2008 (7:13 pm)

I was all set to point that since France was our first ally, the American 4th of July date would be perfect to unveil the Volt. But, post #18 made an even better point, our “Independence Day.” Go Volt.

BillR

BillR

May 18th, 2008 (7:15 pm)

#19 Jim F.

I’m going to agree that the 100th celebration seems to be the likely venue to introduce the Volt. More info here (check out first picture in the intro)

Another article I recently read regarding the 100th anniversary stated that while celebrating GM history, their focus will be on the future. What better vehicle to define the future of the automobile than the Volt?

May 18th, 2008 (7:17 pm)

#21 Jake

“Aside from the ability to run it on biodiesel, would a diesel range extender be much better than a gasoline one in terms of efficiency for electricity generation?”

Lots of “IFs” with that question. IF they design the engine to run at one speed and one load the diesel will win. Even IF they dont the diesel should still win. The problem is that diesel fuel costs more here. That is not the case accross the big pond.

The next issue I have not seen talked about much is that if you increase the compression ratio on the engine and use E85 you can get about the same mileage as running on gas. It is true that there are not as many BTUs in ethanol as gas but by increasing the compression ratio the ethanol will be more efficient . The octane rating is higher on ethanol than gas. The problem is that you could NEVER run gas in it because it would knock its self to death. Lots of IFs here. We will have to see how GM sorts them all out.

Take Care

mmcc

mmcc

May 18th, 2008 (8:00 pm)

Sept 16

Grizzly

Grizzly

May 18th, 2008 (8:08 pm)

Brian M #16

Not a bad idea! Why reveal this car at yet another auto show? After all this is *not* just another car. The majority of people don’t even pay attention to auto shows anyway, and this will be a car for the masses.

Grizzly

Grizzly

May 18th, 2008 (8:16 pm)

Arch #25

True about the compression ratio. The big question though is enrichment. Ethanol generally runs air/fuel at about 9:1 as opposed to 14.7:1 for gasoline. However, the trade off is that if they up the compression ratio for the Volt’s E85 performance they’ll compromise gasoline performance because the knock sensor will retard timing when running on gas. My guess is that like most flex fuel vehicles today, mileage will be substantially better with gas than E85, but I’m guessing the difference will be less than for an ICE vehicle.

May 18th, 2008 (8:35 pm)

Grizzly

“My guess is that like most flex fuel vehicles today, mileage will be substantially better with gas than E85.”

Mileage will be better with gas there is no doubt about that. What I was trying to say was that IF the engine was designed for E85 it could get about the same mileage as gas but you could NOT run gas in it. There are always trade offs. LOL

Take Care

Grizzly

Grizzly

May 18th, 2008 (8:46 pm)

Arch,

Actually you could run gas in it but the performance would definitely suffer. The knock sensor would just retard the timing until the knock stopped but efficiency/mileage would be drastically reduced.

May 18th, 2008 (8:57 pm)

#31 Grizzly

“The question about E85 is whether or not the optimal 9:1 air:fuel ratio would climb with increased compression. My guess is probably, but how much?”

I am not sure. I am an old race car driver. We ran methanol. When I got shoved into this game I found that they ran at about the same ratio. I can tell you that methanol does not change much with higher compression ratio.

Take Care

Terry K

Terry K

May 18th, 2008 (9:20 pm)

Well, I was Terry, but since #4 above is using my name, I will change my name to Terry K. Especially when #4 believes diesel is another type of “gas”.

Which brings me to my question – will the e-flex fuel system be compatable with compressed natural gas (CNG)? CNG runs much cleaner than gas or diesel.

I agree with #13 – no glass roof (or sunroof).

Also, maybe we will get more info at the Paris show about the Volt’s advances in energy saving accessories – a/c, wipers, stereo, lights, and other power options. I haven’t heard much about them so far.

May 18th, 2008 (9:51 pm)

#21 Jake

Diesel engines in the U.S. are more costly, heavy, and inefficient than European diesel engines. This is due to U.S. emission standards. Let’s put it this way, I’ve driven behind diesel cars in Europe, and it really sucks.

But the Volt runs on E85. The 1.0L engine is turbocharged, so it should be efficient. We all know ethanol from corn won’t work, but let’s hope they can make ethanol from switch grass, algae, or some other viable source.

texas

texas

May 18th, 2008 (9:52 pm)

Olympics! What a great idea. The 4th of July is also good but this car is more about the independence of the US. It’s the independence of the world. The Olympics will also give the engineers more time as well as have over a billion people watching the introduction. The rest of the world is not happy with us and showing the Volt would be simply wonderful. I say not only introduce it at the Olympics but also drive it around an inside track using full electric mode. It’s so clean you can run indoors! Since the pollution in Beijing is so bad you can claim it will help to clean up the world. A commercial showing smog and it disapaiting thoughout the 30 second ad would be very powerful.

Grizzly

Grizzly

May 18th, 2008 (9:52 pm)

Arch #32

I would guess that enrichment will vary a little but not enough for Ethanol to catch gasoline in mileage for the same reason that gasoline can’t catch diesel regardless of compression ratio.

What’s important to consider is that the function of the ICE in an RE EV is much different than in a regular automobile or hybrid. The near constant RPM and load characteristics may allow for engine mgmt that could cut the difference. I’m wondering how HCCI could affect E85 performance in the future, and I think it’s safe to say there’s quite a bit of wiggle room here 😉 .

JBFALASKA

JBFALASKA

May 18th, 2008 (10:26 pm)

$10,000 deposit standing by. Hope this is the real deal.

JBFALASKA

JBFALASKA

May 18th, 2008 (10:27 pm)

I haven’t bought a new car since 1991. I own three Buick Regals, all very high quality, but dependent on Middle-East turmoil oil. Putting that behind me.

USAF Retired.

Mark Bartosik

Mark Bartosik

May 18th, 2008 (10:57 pm)

100th anniversary would be very fitting.
    It would be great to have a Volt Nation type event where ever it is unveiled.

Larzen

Larzen

May 18th, 2008 (11:50 pm)

Why should we produce an E-85 car when most of the United States
    doesn’t have an E-85 infrastructure in place? Ethanol production
    will lag considerably behind demand. Let’s go for a Methanol
    Economy. You can store Methanol in the same tanks in which
    you store gasoline. Ethanol presents too many problems.
    Google Professor George Olah.

omegaman66

omegaman66

May 19th, 2008 (12:19 am)

How about we outlaw the middle octane gas that would accomplish a couple of things.

1. It would prevent well meaning but ignorant people from purchasing it when it gives them absolutely no benefit for more money.

2. Lower the cost of gas slightly because switching between the different octanes cost time and money for the refineries.

3. This would free up a tank for e85

butters

butters

May 19th, 2008 (2:51 am)

I hope that GM is considering a gas turbine range extender for future E-Flex vehicles. They have much higher power density than reciprocating engines, fewer moving parts, no oil, no coolant (exhaust contains all waste heat, which could be used for space heating or air-conditioning via an absorption chiller), they can use virtually any fuel, and they’re particularly well-suited to constant-speed operation.

Darius

Darius

May 19th, 2008 (3:35 am)

Turbine out of consideration for 1-st volt. But on other hand if driver use very seldom ICE it is more important not the efficiency or type of fuel. Most relevant should be engine weight, price and reliability. Reliability includes fuel not to be stunted over time.

BillR

BillR

May 19th, 2008 (6:02 am)

Arch & Grizzly,

Pursuant to your discussion on E85 vs. gasoline power in ICE’s, the Saab 9-X concept car could use either, but produced more power and torque with E85.

The engine is a 200 hp 1.4 liter turbocharged 4-cyl with a 10.2:1 compression ratio. My conjecture is that at higher loads, the boost pressure is higher when using E85 (overall higher effective compression ratio), but when gasoline is used, the wastegate would open sooner to limit the boost and thus limit the overall effective compression ratio.

Note that this is built on the Delta II platform (same as Volt), has a low Cd, apparently uses the BAS+ hybrid design, and gets 48 mpg on gasoline (not sure which driving cycle this is, however).

BillR

BillR

May 19th, 2008 (6:12 am)

I just realized something.

Take 1 cylinder off the Saab 9-X engine and you have a 3-cyl, 1.05 liter turbocharged engine that is E85 compatible.

Sort of makes you wonder, doesn’t it?

May 19th, 2008 (6:43 am)

#39 Agreed. Wherever and whenever, I hope Voltnation can be there. We are the maximum cheering section.

May 19th, 2008 (6:45 am)

I vote for the 100th anniversary celebration to show the production Volt!

Just imagine the number of posts here that day…. It will probably shut down the system!

🙂

Dave B

Dave B

May 19th, 2008 (7:18 am)

Wasn’t there supposed to be a media test drive day in June or July? How the heck can they test drive it without revealing it???

My bet is within the next two months.

Jim in Ohio

Jim in Ohio

May 19th, 2008 (7:34 am)

Keep the volt away from outlet.
    I saw a documentary on CNN “running out of gas” where they bragged that the new Chevy volt will run for 40 miles in the morning without using a bit of fossil fuel. Why is it that so many people can’t get the big picture on energy? The Volt WOULD use fossil fuel, when it’s plugged in at night to recharge the batteries where do they think that power comes from? The U. S. has over 50% of it’s electricity produced by burning coal, all those electric cars plugged in overnight being charged up means the power plants have to work harder and burn fossil fuels to send energy to those batteries. Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for hybrid cars, but make them strictly with onboard electric generators to charge the batteries. As long as you can increase the mileage to 50-60 MPG you will be decreasing our dependancy on foreign oil and reducing global warming

TOM M

TOM M

May 19th, 2008 (8:27 am)

Lyle :

I just finished listening to a live interview with Mr. Bob Lutz. They talked about the Volt and I picked up on something many of our people have been asking about with regard to not having to use the ICE unit for charging. His comment was: “That many of us will have to push the button to run the ICE unit so the gas does not get stale.” This indicates that we will indeed have a way to start the ICE
    manually.
    Have a great day,

Tom M

May 19th, 2008 (8:31 am)

People, please don’t confuse “Jim In Ohio” with me, even though I am also in Ohio…..

But I would like to respond to his comment:

Jim, charging at night from home is still a much better way to “fuel up”. Using the generators at a few large electic generating plants is much more efficient than having millions of ICE vehicles using gasoline to run small generators. Also, there will be very little gain in emissions, as the electric companies are still burning fuel to keep those generators running at night, even though there is no demand. So by charging up at night, we will actually be making those facilites more efficient. Also since they are already under fairly strict guidelines as far as pollution control, it will be a much better system. And it is also much less expensive to charge from the grid than to use your onboard generator.

If using the grid still seems like a bad idea to you, you could invest in solar panels for your roof to further reduce the fossil fuels being burned to provide the power for your personal needs.

Finally, one of the main goals of the Volt is to reduce gasoline consumption, By charging up at night, a majority of owners will reduce their gasoline consumption by 90% or more. For my personal driving needs, by gasoline consumption will go from 50 gallons per month to less than 5. Many posters here say that they will actually have to force the ICE to power up now and then, just to keep the gas in the tank from going stale.

Does this make more sense to you now?

Brad in Texas

Brad in Texas

May 19th, 2008 (8:46 am)

#49 Jim,
    The turbines on electrical generation plants don’t “turn off” at night. Yes, at this time a percentage of fossil fuels would be burned to produce the electricity to charge the Volt, but since 50% of our power generation is coal mined in the USA that would reduce our dependence on foreign oil. I know we are trading tail pipe emissions for power plant emissions, but everybody has to understand there is no MIRACLE CURE for our present enegry problems. Through “baby steps” we can reduce global warming and become energy independent and the last time I checked, Coal Miners were not trying to kill us.

Tom

Tom

May 19th, 2008 (8:47 am)

Fort Collins Jim,

I agree with you. The Volt is a revolutionary new technology. It represents the new era of oil independence and environmental consciousness. Why brand and associate it with an old world, 90 year old symbol? GM is missing a huge, once in a hundred year, marketing opportunity. This is a chance to radically change its image as a new era innovator with this product. Change the “bow tie” to a lightning bolt. Old paradigms need to die. Someone, once in frustration, said that progress only occurs with funerals.

Firefly

Firefly

May 19th, 2008 (8:56 am)

If it looks decent, I’ll buy it
    If it looks cool I’ll buy it
    If it looks girly, I’ll buy it and say it’s my wife’s car (and still drive the hell out of it
    If it looks nerdy, I’ll label myself as a nerd and drive it
    If it looks awesome, I’ll buy it and show it off
    If it looks like crap, I’ll still buy it and wait for a body skin
    If it looks like a Flextreme, I’ll sell the family members I don’t like for it
    (just kidding-I’d rent then out…)

Brad in Texas

Brad in Texas

May 19th, 2008 (8:56 am)

#50 Tom,

Could the ICE charging unit be diesel? I don’t know, but I think diesel doesn’t sour in a few months like gas does. I know diesel engines weigh more than gas engines and that might be a factor.

May 19th, 2008 (9:10 am)

#44 BillR

“Thus, with E85, the engine produces 200 hp, but with gasoline is limited to 170hp.”

Bill, I sure hope everybody reads this information. The 30 hp extra that E85 has in it can be used if done right. I think you may be right about the boost. Thats a clever way to get around the problem. THANKS for sending the link.

Take Care

Darius

Darius

May 19th, 2008 (9:12 am)

Jim in Ohio,

I don’t think that there is better way of primary energy consumption than via electricity for vehicle propulsion. The issue will make improvement of primary energy mix simpler affair than it is today. More over – 2/3 of end consumer power cost represents distribution and transmission costs which can be eliminated in case the electric cars will be charged over night and network will be loaded more evenly. Even power plants will be more economic since better utilization of base load.

On other hand it would be more efficient way to produce “green energy” by installing wind mills, photovoltaic, or even directly combust biomass for power and heat co-generation (80 % efficiency) instead using very high quality product (bioethanol or biodysel) for propulsion (with life time efficiency 10÷20%). Therefore I expect hybrid plug-in designers should not bother so much (especially in the beginning) about IEC type and shall facilitate electricity access.

May 19th, 2008 (9:19 am)

Kevin R

Kevin R

May 19th, 2008 (9:32 am)

I think that either the Fourth of July or GM’s own centennial celebration would be perfectly appropriate.

The Fourth of July symbolism is unmistakable, Independence Day for the USA and Independence Day from Mid-East oil. A great combination.

The Centennial Celebration is also a perfect venue. Either way, Volt Nation should be involved. GM’s biggest group of cheerleaders and stanch supporters should be involved to spread the positive news to the rest of the world.

An auto show is not the appropriate big spectacle that GM should use.

BigCityCat

BigCityCat

May 19th, 2008 (9:56 am)

With regards to power plant usage at night. I saw a program on eco-tech the other night about plasma gasification. It’s a process where they burn any waste except nuclear at a temperature of 20,000 degrees which turns all waste into it’s elemental product. It produces different types of gas that are then used to power a turbine for electricity. It leaves virtually no waste byproduct. It would be really cool if people were using erevs powered by this process.

BigCityCat

BigCityCat

May 19th, 2008 (9:59 am)

here it is

BigCityCat

BigCityCat

May 19th, 2008 (9:59 am)

Dr. Science

Dr. Science

May 19th, 2008 (10:22 am)

Very feasable to use a small turbine driven genset as the range extender unit. These units have been on the market for several years and are produced and marketed by Capstone Turbine, Chatsworth CA. they are not much bigger than a 3 lb. coffe can and are very quiet. Currently they are intended for stationary applications and run on a variety of fuels.
    Nix the glass roof, start taking deposits

ThombDbhomb

ThombDbhomb

May 19th, 2008 (10:37 am)

GM should debut the US production specification Volt in Toyota’s HQ parking lot tomorrow.

May 19th, 2008 (10:43 am)

53 Tom & Fort Collins Jim. It’s off topic but important —ATTN GM….

I agree with you. As you said, Tom, the Volt is revolutionary new technology. It represents the new era of oil independence and environmental consciousness. Why brand and associate it with an old world, 90 year old symbol (the Bow Tie)? GM is missing a huge, once in a hundred year, marketing opportunity. This is a chance to radically change its image as a new era innovator with this product!

So at least for the Volt’s first generation, change the “bow tie” to a lightning bolt —not the slender silver lightning bolt you already own (Opel), but a LARGE, BOLD, BRIGHT GOLD LIGHTNING BOLT!!!

PS: I bought a Camaro Z-28 in 1982 (first year after a major redesign) and the words “Camaro”, “Chevrolet” or the Bow Tie could not be found anywhere on it —inside or out— (only “Z-28” on the exterior & the dash)! THAT WORKED WONDERS! ….because curiosity is one of the stronger human emotions, EVERYBODY asked me about the car, often in amazement, like “WHAT IS THAT?” For the Volt, this could lead to great word-of-mouth advertising like, “it has outstanding performance but ZERO pollution” or “it costs about 1/10th what my old car used to cost to drive” or “I drove to work & back today without using a drop of gas”!

Mike-o-Matic

Mike-o-Matic

May 19th, 2008 (10:52 am)

@ Koz #9:

Looks like Transformers II is due in 2009. That would be a great place to get some nice product-placement exposure for the Volt!

I also like your NASCAR pace car idea! Sweet! But going beyond the role of pace car, I can imagine a future, *all-electric* NASCAR. Nevermind ethanol cars. I foresee pit crews either rapidly changing battery packs with hydraulic equipment (10 second battery swap!), or, better yet, rapid-charging supercaps … with cables as thick as your arm!! 😉

What a concept: a NASCAR race where the audience is the only noise you hear!!

Exp_EngTech

Exp_EngTech

May 19th, 2008 (11:38 am)

The Indy 500 would be a great place to showcase the Volt.
    How about a Chevy Volt Pace Car for the 2009 race ?

“Gentlemen, start your ICE’s !”

Norm

Norm

May 19th, 2008 (11:39 am)

Unveiling the production VOLT at the 2008 Paris Auto Show will be a fitting location for a vehicle with such potential impact on the future of the automobile. It will be exactly 10 years ago that GM’s first and fully operational fuel cell powered Opel H1 Zafira was unveiled at that same show.

Personally though, I vote for the Fourth of July or GM’s 100th Anniversary. The fouth sends a GREAT message and the 100th Anniversary is a rare opportunity to tie the past with the future.

Van

Van

May 19th, 2008 (11:50 am)

I have not read all the posts concerning Independence day, but another point is E-rev, where we revolt (get it ha ha) and celebrate our independence from oil.

noel park

May 19th, 2008 (11:56 am)

More great news!

#3 Guy Incognito:

I hope this doesn’t make you nervous, but I agree with you 100%.

#13 Brian and others:

Amen on the glass top. NIX!

Tagamet

May 19th, 2008 (12:13 pm)

The article about the Paris show says that GM will make an announcement RELATED to the Volt that they will be showing there. That doesn’t sound like the unveiling, so it has to be shown before then…..

ThombDbhomb

ThombDbhomb

May 19th, 2008 (12:21 pm)

#71 Tagamet
    Using Lyle’s link, the article says,

“Chevrolet will also make an announcement in Paris over production of the Volt – another car on the Delta platform. The Volt will be seen in Paris in US production specification.”

The word “related” is not in there. From the statement, “The Volt will be seen in Paris in US production specification,” one cannot deduce whether it will be the world debut, only that it will be seen.

Firefly

Firefly

May 19th, 2008 (12:32 pm)

Perhaps Paris will be where they annuonce to all of Europe that based on the positive results of prototype testing on the Volt powertrain, there is an official “GO” on the Opel Flextreme. One can only hope. As fas as the ICE goes, it can be either FlexFuel or BioDiesel in the US for me. As long as GM takes Lyle’s waiting list and offer advanced sale to the first 10,000 people on the list…and sell some in Florida since that’s down my way.

Tagamet

May 19th, 2008 (12:50 pm)

“GM will be making an announcement related to the Chevy Volt when the curtain lifts on the 2008 edition of the Mondial de l’Automobile, better known around here as the Paris Motor Show, in October. Channel 4 reports that we can expect to see the U.S. production-spec Volt on display in the City of Lights.

It does TOO say related.

ThombDbhomb

ThombDbhomb

May 19th, 2008 (12:55 pm)

#74 Tagamet

You’ve been doing extra credit. It does not say “related” in Lyle’s post. Where did you get your (open- you forgot to close it) quote, smarty pants?

noel park

May 19th, 2008 (12:57 pm)

#71 Tagamet:

January 20, 2009. So

Sorry, couldn’t help it.

May 19th, 2008 (1:06 pm)

Thom, it’s from Arch’s post #58.
    Noel, time for your med check. Sorry, I couldn’t help it.

May 19th, 2008 (1:07 pm)

Forget Paris.

JUST SHOW US THE DAMN CAR!!!!!

🙂

May 19th, 2008 (1:14 pm)

“Related” and “not related”. Guys, this is a silly argument.
    You are both right and both wrong, since you are both talking about two different articles.

Jim I, I read the post from “Jim in Ohio”. I know you are from there, but there was no way I could think that was you. You have been around way too long to ask questions like that. As for your answer, I couldn’t have said it better.

koz

koz

May 19th, 2008 (1:22 pm)

Tagamet
    “Personally, I like Independence Day. Celebrating our independence from King George (don’t go there) and our independence from oil.”

Ouch! my tung

May 19th, 2008 (1:29 pm)

Koz,
    A little restraint is good for the soul (especially when it HURTS), and shows maturity. (evil grin)

koz

koz

May 19th, 2008 (1:40 pm)

Jim in Ohio
    “The U. S. has over 50% of it’s electricity produced by burning coal, all those electric cars plugged in overnight being charged up means the power plants have to work harder and burn fossil fuels to send energy to those batteries. ”

See the DOE stats: http://www.eia.doe.gov/cneaf/electricity/epa/epates.html

Coal is slightly less than 50% and falling. This doesn’t include home generation, which a very small but growing amount.

May 19th, 2008 (3:31 pm)

#77 Tagamet:

I wouldn’t argue with you. Can you send something over?

#78 Jim I:

Too bloody right! Paris???????????

ThombDbhomb

ThombDbhomb

May 19th, 2008 (3:53 pm)

#79 Rashiid Amul
    I don’t think me and Tagamet are mad at each other. At first, I was confused because I thought we were analyzing the same article. As it turns out, there is more information out there. Tag hipped me to the other article (which I should have gotten from Arch’s post #58, but I assumed Arch’s post was the same as Lyle’s post). The articles say slightly different things. The more information I get about the Volt, the better.

DaveP

DaveP

May 19th, 2008 (3:54 pm)

That picture of the \Volt taillights on the gm heritage site does seem to kind of hint that they’ll unveil it at some heritage event.

However, I agree with most, some kind of Independence Day event would be way cool.

Still, I wonder if they should wait until they have slapped together a driveable \Volt prototype. I know WE all want to see the car, but they’re unlikely to get as big a press splash as the concept car did just by showing a shell. I think the only thing to get a bigger press splash would be to actually have a driveable one. That would go a long way to convince press and consumers alike that it’s really coming and to hold off on that Prius purchase. 🙂

Also, for those wondering why we use gasoline in the US instead of diesel… Well, SOMEBODY has to use it! Remember, gasoline and diesel are not “made” so much as “extracted”. There’s only so much diesel you can separate out of a barrel of oil, and so much gasoilne. Actually, you can change the ratio a bit and “make” some gasoline because the diesel will break down into smaller chains if you set up your refinery to do so. In fact, that’s pretty much why we all have gasoline cars… back in the early days of cars, gas was cheap and abundant as a byproduct of refining out the more useful heavier oils at the time.
    I read somewhere recently Europe has their refineries set to maximize output of diesel and they wind up selling excess gasoline to the US.
    Anyway, it’s not an anti-diesel consipracy, it just isn’t going to be practical for everyone to use diesels. And if you’re thinking bio diesel, that has some scalability issues, too. Maybe less than corn based ethanol, but definitely more than cellulistic ethanol if anybody can get that working.

Len

Len

May 19th, 2008 (4:16 pm)

We use E85 in alot of the govt vehicles at NASA and it sure promotes the growth of some nasty black stuff. It is all over the tank and controls at the fuel station and around the fuel cap and under the fuel cap cover door.

Converting good land for growing food to growing crops for fuel is not a good idea either, it will drive up food prices and reduce the food production at a time when that may be our only major export.

I will be happy to be reducing our dependence on oil in some cases to no oil. I just wish that I could live closer to work than 45 miles. It could still reduce my fuel consumption to less than half of what it is.

fred

fred

May 19th, 2008 (4:36 pm)

I’m ordering mine with the squeeze bulb horn and hand crank windows. As soon as i get it home I’m putting solar cells on the roof ( I don’t dare hook them up and fry myself so it will be just for looks) No radio. Did I forget anything?

benson

benson

May 19th, 2008 (4:36 pm)

First time poster…following closely with interest and growing excitement.

Unlike some others, I liked the concept design but oh, well.

As far as “The Big Announcement”: The Fourth of July makes sense, but a lot of people are not near their TV’s and computers during the holiday, though with the price of gas, more than most years. The Olympics would be a major stage, but a quick check of the official website shows VW is the auto sponsor. The Chevy Centennial might be choice.

May 19th, 2008 (4:46 pm)

I don’t want to sound to nationalistic, but I want the announcement to be done in the USA. This is an American automobile, after all. I know GM will sell versions of the Volt under other names around the world, but the Volt will be for the USA.

I like the idea of a front badge similar to some of the ones from the 50’s. Or some modification of the two. Make it unique, GM. I want everyone to be able to tell I am driving a Volt when I come up behind them, etc.

Go, GM, Go, Volt.

May 19th, 2008 (5:26 pm)

Rashid, Thom and I aren’t arguing at all. We’re similar spirits.
    Fred, don’t forget to order the MANUAL seat adjustments. My Jeep has 8 different seat adjustments – all electric. and that doesn’t count the seat heaters. Just a lever to adjust the seat forward of backward oughta do it.
    I really did like the concept’s look (except that smokey glass roof), but it’ll be interesting to see what they finally came up with.
    And I WANT to appear Nationalistic and A) have them unveal it here in the States and B) at least provide the opportunuty for the VoltNation COMMUNITY to attend. I’ll bet VoltNation sweatshirts that say “I was there when GM changed automotive HISTORY *insert actual date here*” would sell big. Maybe include the option for having our waiting list # on it too (grin). Any seats left on GM’s advertizing team? *I’m available”

swimdad623

swimdad623

May 19th, 2008 (5:43 pm)

#82 koz

The big benefit of the Volt that hasn’t been noted is that it’s an “interruptable” load.

Electricity is the perfect energy medium, except that it’s hard to store. The $10,000 in batteries in the Volt hold much less energy as a gallon of gasoline. Since you can’t store electricity easily, you have to balance generation and consumption. If you have too little generation, you have a blackout. Too little, and you waste energy.

Power generation comes in three types – baseline (always there, typically nuclear, coal, natural gas boilers, and future solar thermal), peak (hydroelectric, natural gas turbines, and interruptable (wind and PV solar). Wind and PV solar are interruptable because they stop generating if the wind stops or it’s a cloudy day.

The electric company’s job is to match up the source and load for the power. For example, I have an interrupter on my air conditioners that turns them off remotely of the electric company needs to save power. That changes my air conditioner from a baseline load to an interruptable load, and saves the electric company a massive amount of investment ($80/year they rebate to me for letting them install the interrupters).

The Volt is the ultimate interruptable load. Plug the car in at night. If the grid has capacity, you get a charge and go to work on electricity. If the grid is loaded (i.e. a hot night with lots of AC load, or a grid problem), you come out in the morning and the ICE starts up and runs the car to work. Try the same thing with a Tesla and you’re stuck at home for the day.

I definitely see the electric company offering a discount to Volt owners if they allow us to install an interrupter on our Volt circuit. These are controlled by radio. I can see a separate meter in our house for the “volt outlet”, and that meter costs a few cents less per KHW so the electric company can remotely turn the charger on and off.

It’s a win-win for everyone.

May 19th, 2008 (6:14 pm)

How about heater and AC? I am old enough to remember when heaters were extra cost options and AC was not available period. I am going to run mine as little as possible to extend my range. If I could save enough money, I would do without for my work vehicle.

TED in Fort Myers

TED in Fort Myers

May 19th, 2008 (6:26 pm)

It doesn’t matter what it looks like, I will buy it. Still and all I would like it to look good. The most important thing is AE miles since I drive 42 miles round trip to work. I am still hoping for a BEV version. Just build the damn car. GO GM, GO VOLT…. TED

Jeff

Jeff

May 19th, 2008 (6:34 pm)

The July 4th date sounds great….and it is exciting.

However, the enthusiasm is bit high on here. Declaration of oil independence on 7/4/2008 is slightly premature….by several years.
    Late 2010 is the plan for the first sale of the vehicle. Over 60 million vehicles are on the road in the US today. Or maybe I’m just out of the loop on the master plan to declare oil independence.

But I’ll join in….Hooray!!!!!!!

Ed

Ed

May 19th, 2008 (6:38 pm)

I agree with #53 and #65. GM, drop the “bow tie”. This is about change. Step into the new erra with a new symbol…

May 19th, 2008 (6:39 pm)

Jeff @94 They didn’t sign the Declaration of Independence AFTER they gained independence -It was and IS declaring what we stand for and what we hope to gain.

fred

fred

May 19th, 2008 (6:46 pm)

They are all going to come out at the same time. GM, Honda, Nissan/Renault, Mitsubishi, Zenn,Smith trucks, and all the rest. I would really like to see GM first on the market. Don’t matter though. I’m never buying a new petrol powered vehicle ever! So if the electrics don’t get to market. I’m never buying another new vehicle. We need to be as energy independant ( as a nation )as possible. I figure it starts with lowering gasoline consumption to whatever we produce.

May 19th, 2008 (6:56 pm)

Fred @97
    Does that mean that you won’t be buying a car, or that you’ll only buy used cars? Even small used cars tend to have poorer MPG than new ones.
    Having said that, even though I was born right before God invented dirt, I’ve never been able to afford a new vehicle. We DID get two daughters through college without debts on their backs and kept the folks with us for years before they crossed over, Our two Jeeps have a total of over a quarter of a million miles on them now. BUT THE VOLT IS GOING TO BE MY FIRST NEW CAR! It’s going to be a very long 30 months.

Jeff

Jeff

May 19th, 2008 (7:06 pm)

I’m just saying that it is premature. Brazil’s government started back in the 1970’s working toward oil independence after a collapse of their economy. .And they only recently achieved it

I’ve not heard any political candidates or incumbents that have presented a workable plan…just an acknowledgement that “the US is addicted to oil”. It is like an extreme alcoholic declaring independence from alcohol. It takes time to go “cold turkey”.

Hmmm…I wonder what the price of gas would be if the US imported no oil after 7/4/2008? Or 7/4/2010 (Volt is still not on the road)? What would happen to the US economy? I would guess “extreme withdrawal syndrome”.

Getting the picture…

Koz

Koz

May 19th, 2008 (7:08 pm)

#91 swimdad623

Your absolutely correct. I have an “interrupter” for my hot water heater. This has been discussed at length in some previous threads. Having utility owned interupter would be the simplest and cheapest way to accomplish grid optimization without V2G user owned equipment. I DEFINITELY do want the V2G functionality, at the very least for home emergency power backup. Perhaps, actual V2G applications in the future.

May 19th, 2008 (7:09 pm)

#97 fred:

Smith trucks? That’s a new one on me. Who are they, and what are they doing?

May 19th, 2008 (7:17 pm)

Jeff@99
    What we have here is a failure to communicate. I understand what you are saying – declaring it doesn’t make it so.
    BUT when we were about to reVOLT against King Georrge (again, don’t go there) we DECLARED our intentions. It’s no different to declare that with widespread deployment of erev techonology we CAN accomplish Independence. Not on the day of the Declaration – probably 15 years later (the typical time to “turnover” our population of vehicles). That in no way diminishes the grand declaration.

Philip

Philip

May 19th, 2008 (7:33 pm)

I really hope they show the first volt here in the US. It just dosn’t make sense to me to show it first in France. I really like all the suggestions here(july 4, centennial celebration, etc.) I’m 16, so hopefully by college I can get my hands on one of these revolutionary cars. The future looks bright for my generation.

Koz

Koz

May 19th, 2008 (7:52 pm)

Tagamet,

To what address should I send the surgical bill for reattaching my tongue?

BTW, shouldn’t it be RE.Volt

May 19th, 2008 (8:07 pm)

KOZ,
    Send the bill to the DNC. Did I say that out loud?

Throwback

Throwback

May 19th, 2008 (8:15 pm)

GM’s centennial is this year. My guess is they will reveal it at their centennial celebration this summer.

Koz

Koz

May 19th, 2008 (8:34 pm)

Tag,

not helping…call the surgeon back

May 19th, 2008 (8:41 pm)

Koz,
    Lyle is a neurosurgeon. An excellent choice if you hope to enervate the tongue.

May 20th, 2008 (1:09 pm)

It will be great to see the introduction of the Volt in good Ole U.s. of A.

Go GM, Go Volt!!!!!

fred

fred

May 20th, 2008 (5:07 pm)

#101 noel park
    Smith Electric Vehicles, building a plant here in the states.

bruce g

bruce g

May 20th, 2008 (5:31 pm)

May 20th, 2008 (7:05 pm)

#110 fred & #111 bruce g:

Thanks. Very interesting.

I like the part about them being able to enter the restricted zone in London without paying the fee. That’s coming here too, just wait for it. I wonder if it’s too much to hope that the same will be an incentive for the Volt. Or at least the all electric Volt Mr. Lutz hinted at here recently.

Chauncey

Chauncey

May 21st, 2008 (9:58 am)

Well, we’ve already SEEN the wind tunnel tests, we KNOW what it’s going to look like. A G6 with the nose of a Malibu. Not nearly as dramatic or as attractive as the original concept, but isn’t that always the case?

Kevin R

Kevin R

May 21st, 2008 (12:07 pm)

#113 Chauncey

How do you know this? Do you have specs? CAD drawings? Spy photos from inside?

We don’t KNOW what it’s going to look like! You can make assumptions but please don’t say “WE KNOW” because ‘WE’ don’t.

Chauncey

Chauncey

May 21st, 2008 (3:50 pm)

Hey Kev:

Sorry man, I had no idea someone would be so offended by my comments, ..my humble apologies for such offensive language, the sleepless nights and the migraines I may have caused. :)) Are you on the design team or something? Your level of “agitation” is very strange.

But you don’t need a degree in engineering and CAD files for this one buddy. You HAVE seen the teaser pic right?, you HAVE seen the video of them lifting the side of the tarp off the clay model right?, you HAVE seen the wind tunnel model right?

…it’s a G6 (perhaps with a sprinkle of Malibu Maxx in there) with a Malibu nose. 😀

Kevin R

Kevin R

May 21st, 2008 (7:28 pm)

#115 Chauncey..

Not to worry. I get miffed a bit when I see so much negativity and I think yours just sent me off though it wasn’t meant to be a personal attack.

I have been paying extremely close attention to the design. I will be one of the many who are very displeased if it comes out of the design lab looking anything like what’s on the road now. It can’t and shouldn’t. I hope it has some radical angles somewhere to keep the spirit of the original. That is what has attracted a bunch of my friends who are die hard foreign car buyers. I have them salivating over the Volt and wanting one though they don’t come to this site. They rely on my sending info to all of them. I don’t want them disappointed or they’ll continue with foreign car purchases and that isn’t what GM needs.

Todd

Todd

May 21st, 2008 (8:41 pm)

The main idea of the Volt is not new. In the mid 90’s a high school student built a go-kart using a weed whacker engine to run an 80amp GM alternator tied to 2 car batteries. Using an inverter to run a vacuum cleaner electric motor to power the one rear wheel. It’s range was over 100 miles to 1/5th gallon of fuel…

I wonder what took the automakers so long to use this type of design. It’s exactly how trains work. The student even offered the kart at no charge to GM or Ford.

We’ll see the car in Transformers 2.

Diesel is better in the long run. With a 2cyl motor running at 1800rpm you can generate enough electricity to power the car, A/C and still have some left over. You’ll end up using about 1 gallon per hour. Sailboats use this same technology, or at least did. Under said you have a 36hp 2cyl Volvo engine running to charge up the batteries, run the A/C unit, and pumps, a second engine was used to power the boat with no sails up. It was overkill but it worked well and diesel engines can run for years without shutting down.

Diesel may cost 20% more but you go 200% farther on it. GM will probably end up using a modified eco-tec engine in the states and a renault 3cyl D motor in europe.

Of course GM’s close ties to Suzuki could yield use of their 1.0L 3cyl as the generator. At 2k RPM’s that engine in a Swift would yield 70mpg.

j man

j man

May 22nd, 2008 (8:16 pm)

GM could use a pre existing 4 cyl motor that is allready being used in Europe. Something small that would not use much gas.

I think Jim in Ihio might work at the Honda plant and is mad that GM is coming out with the Volt before Honda makes something. 🙂

If you are worried about the power the Volt will use to charge, buy a solar panel to do it for you. I work third so mine would need to charge all day when the sun can do all the work for me.

Tagamet

May 22nd, 2008 (11:05 pm)

J man
    Someone has already mentioned a 3 cylinder gen set motor. It really shouldn’t take much to keep juice flowing to the batteries. Obviously, the smaller the better (on a lot of levels)

Rogelio Cisneros

Rogelio Cisneros

May 25th, 2008 (2:17 am)

Not to worry about milage on the volt as soon as it comes out we will have a ton of people changing the way it charges the battery , more than likely a magnet motor that does not need fuel , runs at constant speed perfect for generating electricity.I think the roof on the volt is not glass but power cells to charge the batteries when parked.Anyway I will be in line to buy 2 of this puppies when they come out , no more gas fro me im out the hell with oil.Anyone seen the japan made electric car that outruns vipers in quarter mile , the ELIICA check it out.GM THANK YOU FOR THE VOLT YOU JUST SAVED THE USA , SEE THE USA IN A CHEVROLET ,ITs back.

Rogelio Cisneros

Rogelio Cisneros

May 25th, 2008 (2:21 am)

Oh one more small thing can you have Maria Carey sing the song , SEE THE USA IN A CHEVROLET , and please make sure OPEC sees the add. Thanks GM

Rogelio Cisneros

Rogelio Cisneros

May 25th, 2008 (2:27 am)

OH yea one more thing if the volt is not out next year im building my own electric car , but it wont be small one, a Crown Victoria or a Suburban.More room for batteries and 2 motors to pull me along. And a generator for extended trips.

Jim

Jim "searchers"

May 25th, 2008 (5:10 pm)

I will be one of the first buyers when the new VOLT electric chevy comes out. As I feel this is the way to beat the Oil problems. We need electric cars and with a volt extender that could possibly be some form of Generator or Hybrid concept. Good Luck Chevy dont let us down.

Nathan Ealy

Nathan Ealy

May 27th, 2008 (10:14 pm)

Well, they had a cool futuristic looking car. Now it looks a Malibu. Aren’t car designers with new ideas allowed to work in Detriot, or are they driven away at the city limits?

Go away creative people! Go work for a German car company where people like you belong! Bah!

Jim

Jim "searchers"

May 28th, 2008 (11:17 pm)

Yes the way to go is Electric.  with an extender. My trips average 80miles per day and some time +30miles so an electric will be find.
    The new invention is a Ceramic battery that is a capaceter that charges in 5minuets and drives for 500miles on 9$ costthats .45cents per gallon equivellant thats good. Lockheed Martin has the Patent. So come along you guys how about it lets say good by to ARAB oil. The new battery can be charged 10000times.

Jun 25th, 2008 (8:40 am)