May 07

2010 Chevrolet Cobalt Spy Photo

Why would we be interested in the 2010 Cobalt’s appearance on GM-Volt.com?

Well, this next generation Cobalt will be built on the same platform as the Chevy Volt. It is GM’s next generation global compact architecture platform called Global Delta.

I must make it clear, the photo is a spy photo of the Cobalt NOT the Volt. The Volt will not look like the Cobalt either, as Volt lead designer Bob Boniface said the Volt "would not be a Cobalt with a battery."

The value of this image is to see the basic size and stance the production Volt will occupy, and in a way brings us one step closer to production.

This new platform is also a good thing for GM, considering the recent dramatic consumer shift to small cars and away from trucks and SUVs because of gas prices. GM can leverage this compact platform effectively worldwide, allowing many new cars and propulsion systems to be built on it, in a highly cost-effective manner. This could represent a huge savings for GM in costs of materials and product development. Reportedly, insiders have suggested GM has plans for as many as 30 vehicles on this platform over the next 4 years.

The platform’s dimensions allow for a diverse spectrum of designs including crossovers and hatchbacks, and of course, the Volt.

Source (Motor Trend )

This entry was posted on Wednesday, May 7th, 2008 at 3:30 pm and is filed under Production. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

Brian M

Brian M

May 7th, 2008 (3:35 pm)

Looks better than the current Cobalt IMO. Of course, I am betting that Europeans wouldn’t call this a “compact”.

DaveP

DaveP

May 7th, 2008 (3:58 pm)

It’s not so clear in the photo above (there’s more photos at the Motor Trend site) but the entire car is painted in the black and white cracked window look. Evertyhing in black is actually clad in puffy padding like a judo outfit.
    I wonder how much is inherent to the platform, like I notice the doors are quite tall compared to the wheel sizes, perhaps that’s not just styling, it might have to do with door strengthening for crashes, as well. There might very well be some more clues here to eventual Volt dimensions in addition to just wheelbase and that kind of thing.
    Man, 2010 isn’t that far off, but it seems like a long time to wait when pictures of Cobalts seem interesting. :)

noel park

noel park

May 7th, 2008 (4:32 pm)

It looks pretty promising to me. Better than the photo we found yesterday. Now, if they can just get the mileage up where it needs to be, maybe they will have something to sell to tide them over until the e-flex system finds its legs.

noel park

noel park

May 7th, 2008 (4:34 pm)

Is it true that the final assembly will be in Mexico? If so, what happens to Lordstown?

Statik

Statik

May 7th, 2008 (4:44 pm)

Lyle you post does touch on one good piece of news for GM. Quite as if by accident, GM is developing this platform at exactly the right time.

There is no way in heck GM saw this gas spike coming when they started this project years ago, so I don’t know if credit is due. They probably they had been regretting it from the moment it start when their SUV business was raking in the dough…until last year.

…regardless. If GM is still a viable entity by the time this system is ready to go…the cars it produces off this platform will fierce.

That being said, release the turbo 4-bangers! Hehe.

Statik

Statik

May 7th, 2008 (4:46 pm)

Good grief, spelling and grammar gone wild in my last post! Sorry about that. Here it is again…correctly:

Lyle your post does touch on one good piece of news for GM. Quite as if by accident, GM is developing this platform at exactly the right time.

There is no way in heck GM saw this gas spike coming when they started this project years ago, so I don’t know if credit is due. They probably had been regretting it from the moment it started…as their SUV business was raking in the dough…until last year.

That being said, release the turbo 4-bangers! Hehe.

STU

STU

May 7th, 2008 (4:50 pm)

the cobalt sure is nifty looking (with all of it armor) but it is not a volt.

I agree with the one comment i read yesterday. ” zzzzzz volt zzzzzz volt zzzzzz volt”

noel park

noel park

May 7th, 2008 (5:01 pm)

OMG, the penny drops. It’s a 2010? I thought it was supposed to come as a 2009. Oh well, another excuse to sweat it out and wait for the Volt.

Speedy

Speedy

May 7th, 2008 (5:05 pm)

The New Chevrolet Cobalt will start production in 2009, with these new Delta 2 platforum, these Chevrolet Volt has delta 2 platforum as well, I Think it will be out in late 2009 as a 2010 model? What do you think?

Terry

Terry

May 7th, 2008 (5:43 pm)

I hate to rain on your Cobalt parade, but it looks like just another small car to me. All these new small cars are beginning to look alike. Even the Prius looks like another small car, with fancy tail lights.

Think HHR as the next logical step for the Volt. You know, that funky looking mini truck thing. They have a lot of room for batteries. You don’t have to crouch down or duck your head to get inside it (which is why I dislike small cars.

I will settle for Volt generation 1, just to get Exxon / Wall Street energy traders / oil sheiks / government gas taxes off my back. But I can dream, can’t I?

Jason M. Hendler

Jason M. Hendler

May 7th, 2008 (5:58 pm)

#10, Terry,

I am with you. Fortunately, in the future when our cars use 100% renewable energy, there will no longer be the need to have mileage standards, and auto companies can return to styling vehicles for appearance, and not aerodynamics.

May 7th, 2008 (6:00 pm)

A little off topic, but here’s a piece on CNN that says a kid on a bike was hit by a Prius because it was running with the ICE off, so the kid couldn’t hear it:

May 7th, 2008 (6:01 pm)

To me, the HEART of the Motor Trend article that Lyle references isn’t shown by the pictures but by the words…..

MT: “More important (than the spy photos) is what’s under the skin: The new Cobalt is one of the first cars to come off GM’s new global compact vehicle architecture, which will also underpin the next gen Saturn Astra and the Chevy Volt. More than just new hardware, the global compact vehicle architecture represents a new approach to product development for GM.”

MT: “The global compact vehicle architecture will replace five GM small car architectures worldwide by 2014, generating huge cost savings in materials and product development. One of the key attributes of the architecture is its high degree of dimensional flexibility, which allows GM to build vehicles as diverse as coupes and crossovers on the same assembly lines using many of the same parts.”

MT: “Not only will the global compact vehicle architecture enable GM to get more products to market more rapidly — company insiders hint more than 30 NEW MODELS will be launched worldwide off the architecture in just four years — but it allows easier sharing of powertrains and other advanced technologies.”

…..WOW!!!

So to me this means that GM’s new Global Delta platform must be defined largely by the WIDTH (and length?) of vehicles sharing it —and not so much by height or shape. In other words, a given platform’s horizontal perimeter or length/width dimensions must be compatible with the multitude of robotic welders, etc on the many assembly lines it’s intended for globally, from China to Canada. But almost “anything goes” in the VERTICAL dimension —i.e., above the level of the axles! Those robots are “double-jointed freaks” that (as a group) can reach almost anywhere within the new platform’s perimeter.

If this were not the case, how could GM hope to assemble body shapes as different as the Opel/Saturn Flextreme, the Chevy Volt & the ’09 Cobalt on the same assembly line? BRILLANT!

GM, you’re the “Darwinian Award Winner” of automotive manufacturing evolution! May GM’s many diverse species of newborn compact vehicles from around the globe grow and prosper ….especially those blessed with the E-Rev/E-Flex drive train DNA such as the Opel Flextreme & the Chevy Volt!!! :)

Dan

Dan

May 7th, 2008 (6:08 pm)

The global small-car platform makes me think that not only will the Volt be a great car because of e-flex, it will have great bones. Every new vehicle GM has brought out of late has been great, and it is a trend that shows no signs of stopping.

Patrick

Patrick

May 7th, 2008 (6:48 pm)

6. Statik

The new 2008 Cobalt SS was just released last month.

Turbocharged with 260HP. Is that what you wanted?
    You can see it on the GM website.
    If they make it upgradeable like the supercharged SS with Stage Kits, this thing will be a beast on the road.

Dave B

Dave B

May 7th, 2008 (6:49 pm)

Is it me or is there a lot of surface area on that Cobalt? I know, the bodies of the cars will be different.

Patrick

Patrick

May 7th, 2008 (6:56 pm)

GMinsidenews.com reports that the 2010 Cobalt SS will be turbocharged at 245HP, AWD with 6-speed manual transmission. WOW!

May 7th, 2008 (7:01 pm)

This is so sad…..

We are reduced to talking about how a Colbalt looks………….

It is going to be a LONG 30 months until Nov, 2010!

emod79

emod79

May 7th, 2008 (7:15 pm)

30 models in 4 years……Can anyone say K-car! Although I think that GM will do a lot better with it, plus time and technology has changed. Don’t get me wrong, my first car was a Chrysler LeBaron Turbo Coupe and served me well for many, many years. I still have it and have autocrossed it for about 6 years. One multi-vehicle platform saved Chrysler’s butt and it will surely help GM so long as they stay away from the identical twin syndrome.

bruce g

bruce g

May 7th, 2008 (7:21 pm)

Nasaman,
    I had assumed that the Global Delta ( also called Delta ll) platform was a common Bill of Materials, but you may well be right, it is the range of motion of the welding robots. Fine, either way.

However the styling of the vehicles tend to follow a theme, the “Chevy grill” for example as well as the dictates of arodynamics and handling.
    Also there is market conservatism where radical change may be viewed with suspicion and require a lot of money to sell.
    Add to that the possibility the radical styling gets called an orphan, like the “Edsel” for example.
    I think these “me to” pressures mean cars usually evolve in their styles. The 2008 isnt much different to to the 2009 for example.

Having said that I see the Opel engineers are calling or a more spacious Delta ll and Im sure they will make it happen, come hell or high water.

imho

May 7th, 2008 (7:33 pm)

It appears to be an extremely modest vehicle in all respects, and a selection that will not give offense as above one’s station in life, however modest one’s station might be.

Arch

Arch

May 7th, 2008 (8:26 pm)

#13 Nasaman

I am not sure how to take your post. I am a Designer by trade. To see so many cars all built on the same program is sad to me. Seems like gas gets hard to come by and so do new ideas. Maybe just maybe one of the new car companies will get it right. Give me something that inspires my soul. Not just something that makes my wallet happy. There must be a good mix out there some where.

Take Care
    Arch

May 7th, 2008 (9:37 pm)

22 Arch……..

Don’t despair!

My post above concludes that “…..almost ‘anything goes’ in the VERTICAL dimension —i.e., above the level of the axles! Those robots are “double-jointed freaks” that (as a group) can reach almost anywhere within the new platform’s perimeter.”

….then adds,

“If this were not the case, how could GM hope to assemble body shapes as different as the Opel/Saturn Flextreme, the Chevy Volt & the ‘09 Cobalt on the same assembly line? BRILLANT!”

—it’s all good! :)

George K

George K

May 7th, 2008 (9:47 pm)

#22 Arch,
    It sure isn’t the days of fins and hood ornaments (anybody remember the 1959 Buick Electra. http://www.oldride.com/library/1959_buick_electra.html

My Dad drove one. There have been so many gov. rules re safety, shape, no hood ornaments ( I think it was the Olds that had the airplane), front height, etc. that tends to dull creativity.

But, don’t you think they did a great job with the Opel Flextreme!!? That is eye candy. And while the Volt won’t be as futuristic looking, it will be cool and unique, and I’m thinking, racy looking.

canehdian

canehdian

May 7th, 2008 (10:01 pm)

Re the prius being too quiet in electric mode – I don’t know about you, but the roads are horrible around here. If your car is silent, its a miracle. I dont even hear the engine over all the bumps and noise of the tire on the road. The only time i hear it is when its in first gear (and revving alot) or on the highway (revving alot).

The fact that GM will have a common base line means they can pump out as many volts as people want – they just make less cobalts, etc to compensate (because you know they are gonna run out, with their thousands produced each day…)

Arch

Arch

May 7th, 2008 (10:04 pm)

“So as I see it, GM has standardized the platform (the basement and foundation, so to speak) but, design wise, almost ANYTHING GOES above ground level! So designers should have almost unlimited freedom! ”

Nasaman

I hope you are right. I just do not understand how I have ANY design freedom when I have to design anything when I am using the same basement. Guess a fancy radio and AC will do.

Take Care
    Arch

Arch

Arch

May 7th, 2008 (10:11 pm)

“But, don’t you think they did a great job with the Opel Flextreme!!? That is eye candy.”

George

Guess I am getting to old for eye candy. I just want the best mileage I can get. I am retired and need to save money. LOL

Take Care
    Arch

jbfalaska

jbfalaska

May 7th, 2008 (10:21 pm)

My goodness. I hope this is not the CHEVY COVOLT!
    If that proves to be the Volt, then $24,000 better be the price, otherwise, congratulations yet again Toyota on the Plug-in Prius.
    The muscular modern look of the concept appeal is all but gone.

jbfalaska

jbfalaska

May 7th, 2008 (10:21 pm)

My goodness. I hope this is not the CHEVY COVOLT!
    The muscular modern look of the concept appeal is all but gone. I say that because the car above looks like the Volt Spy Photo as well.

jbfalaska

jbfalaska

May 7th, 2008 (10:23 pm)

I guess I’ll wait for the E-Flex Chevy Malibu three years later, or have the local car shop customize an electric out of my Buick Regal supercharged.

Come on GM, what the original design just too hard to do even slightly!

Disappointed, but still a GM loyalist.

jbfalaska

jbfalaska

May 7th, 2008 (10:58 pm)

Hope to stay positive, as I have since inception. With 200 designers, and 400 engineers assigned to the Volt, this had better not become the Chevy CoVolt project. Not going to sell 300,000 of those.

ghost

ghost

May 7th, 2008 (11:05 pm)

#5. Statik

No one saw this coming? I thought it was pretty much common sense?
    Gas has been going up for years. Gas has been expensive pretty much everywhere but here for a long time.

I hope GM gives me a reason not to buy from the Japanese ( Toyota and honda ) – - –
    I don’t care if the volt looks like a microwave on wheels – if it frees me of big oil, GM, I will buy.

BillR

BillR

May 7th, 2008 (11:12 pm)

Although this version of the Cobalt may look bland, supposedly this concept vehicle, the Saab 9-X, is also based on the Delta II platform.

I think the Volt could look similar to the 9-X from the windshield forward, and more like the original concept Volt from the windshield back.

That might be a reasonable design with a low Cd as well.

Eric E

Eric E

May 7th, 2008 (11:17 pm)

“One of the key attributes of the architecture is its high degree of dimensional flexibility…”

The Delta platform can vary to a degree in width, length, height and even wheel base. It uses similar designs based on weight, power, structural components and assembly, not dimension.

The picture above does closely resemble the concept volt crossed with the wind tunnel picture. IMHO. Check out the shape of the rear doors…almost identical to the concept Volt.

Hmmm…I’d still buy it.

bruce g

bruce g

May 7th, 2008 (11:35 pm)

BillR,
    That is interesting, it may be the 2 door coupe that has been mentioned.

Speedy

Speedy

May 8th, 2008 (12:14 am)

What’s wrong with the style of the cobalt? Because the pirus is nothing to be drooling over.

Speedy

Speedy

May 8th, 2008 (12:21 am)

The Car is coverd up how can you tell what it looks like? These Chevy Cobalt and Chevy Volt will be fine.

Speedy

Speedy

May 8th, 2008 (1:12 am)

bruce g

bruce g

May 8th, 2008 (2:25 am)

Sorry, The Saab 9-1 may be the three door hatch.

It triggered memories of the Chev Coupes I have seen, the 1936 for example and there were some with even more tapered rear ends I believe.

mmcc

mmcc

May 8th, 2008 (4:23 am)

#33 BillR
    Thanks for the link to that pic. The rear end looks somewhat Voltish too. I like it!

May 8th, 2008 (6:12 am)

How about a spy photo of the production Volt?
    I thought Mr. Lutz would have been driving it already.

voltme

voltme

May 8th, 2008 (6:46 am)

It’s telling in the fact that the new Bob Lutz inspired Chevy Malibu shape is clearly evident in the lines of the new Cobalt. As a matter of fact, the premium Malibu is badged LTZ (get it? LuTZ)…

Despite Boniface’s comments to the contrary, I would suspect that the Volt would bear at least a family resistance to the Malibu just as the Cobalt in the photo above does.

Statik

Statik

May 8th, 2008 (6:53 am)

#32 Ghost

It is common sense now. We can see the rising gas as a trend line. Some did see it to some degree…but no one saw gas at $125, not even close.

But when this plan was initially drawn up in 2005, gas was around the $2 mark. You have to remember that gas had been around $1.30 15 years earlier in 1990. So the price was far from running wild, and most ‘economists’ expected it to ‘hover’ at the $40/barrel range for the foreseable future…even to drop.

The answer to higher gas in Europe was/is to drive a ‘econo box.’ …it will be tough for GM to crack a market even with the new ‘Delta II” compact that is getting 30-40MPGs, they will be clamouring for 60,70,80…EV?

Fun articles that make people look silly:

$50/barrel in 2025?

Here is the call from ‘the big dogs’ in 2005

Thomson First Call -$37
    Frederick P. Leuffer, SR energy analyst– Bear Stearns -$25
    Fadel Gheit, Senior VP of Oil Research — Oppenheimer – $30
    Morgan Stanley – $36.60 (crazy with the pennies)

This guy got it right:
    Charles T. Maxwell at Weeden and Co – $57 and rising

So I conceed afteral they ‘might’ have known, it is possible…but GM hasn’t exactly been clairvoyant when predicted the future on anything else lately.

May 8th, 2008 (7:45 am)

Speedy #38:

“Also don’t people read the man said the cobalt won’t look like volt and the volt won’t look like these cobalt.”

Many of us here take what we are being told with a grain of salt. Don;t forget, we were also told there would be 60,000 Volts priced Nicely Under $30,000 available in 2010…..

Wise Golden

Wise Golden

May 8th, 2008 (11:44 am)

Went to MotorTrend to look at the bigger pictures. I really think that were looking at the new Saturn Astra, not the Chevy Cobalt. Same car, same platform.

GM Volt Fan

GM Volt Fan

May 8th, 2008 (1:51 pm)

Speaking of hybrids in development, I just read that Nissan is going to develop a “series hybrid” similar to the Volt … as well as a parallel hybrid and an all electric. As far as I know … Nissan is the only other major car company who has said they are developing a “series hybrid”.

“Nissan is also hedging its bets by developing both a “parallel hybrid” system (akin to that found in the Toyota Prius) and a plug-in “series hybrid” similar to the Chevy Volt. But it favours the all-electric approach, even though it will be a tough sell, says Mr Lane. As for Mr Ghosn, he has no doubts. “We must have zero-emission vehicles,” he says. “Nothing else will prevent the world from exploding.”

Hmmmm …. it looks like GM knows they are doing the right thing now by developing the Volt. The competition is jumping into the race with both feet now. This could be good for us customers.

It sounds like the huge lithium ion battery factories around the world are about to get built and everything else. We’re kind of where we were in 2000 or so with HDTVs. Once those big factories get built where they reach “economies of scale” AND there’s adequate competition for the end products … that’s when we’ll start seeing the prices go down a good bit. That’s when we’ll start getting good value out of the new hybrids … more “bang for the buck”. I’m looking forward to it. Hopefully, the prices will be good in the early part of 2011. That’s when I will be at the dealership doing the test drives, etc.

May 8th, 2008 (2:37 pm)

GM Volt Fan

It is my understanding Nissan is using Toyota’s hybrid system.

voltme

voltme

May 8th, 2008 (2:59 pm)

#28 jbfalaska

If you want a plugin now, Paulsonhybrid.com is releasing a $3300 bolt on kit that converts your existing car to a plugin hybrid (they have two electric rotors that attach to your rear wheels and bolt to the underside of your vehicle. They start shipping kits in June of this year and they are in the running for the X-Prize.

check the web for the info (3300 price is for lead/acid batteries good for 300 charges, expect to pay more for nickel metal hydride and lithium stacks)…

The interesting thing here though, is that even with the price of lithium (estimated to add about $5000 to the cost) you could buy a decent used car like a civic or echo for say $5k and have a plugin hybrid *this year* for under $15000

Lots of questions to be answered on the paulson hybrid tech, but still pretty compelling I would say…

voltme

voltme

May 8th, 2008 (3:02 pm)

sorry I spelled that wrong, it should be…

poulsenhybrid.com

noel park

noel park

May 8th, 2008 (3:58 pm)

#49 voltme:

VERY interesting. Thank you.

jbfalaska

jbfalaska

May 8th, 2008 (8:20 pm)

Folks, the Volt before and after are stark. If this winds up a COVOLT subcompact, how in the world will GM command $35K – $40K price stickers. Ain’t gonna happen. The original Volt design easily. A COVOLT regular is $18,000 and with an electric motor $35,000???

No way. Toyota Prius will be $23,000 with an electric. GM loses again. I hope they’ll look to the design team and not the engineers. I could live with 25 mile range or 30 mile range to bring back some of the original design.

Speedy

Speedy

May 8th, 2008 (9:57 pm)

First off gm is not going to build a brick with wheels , there going to make it as low of (cod) as the can. And why would want a car with a high cod ? Second the volt will not look like the Cobalt, the cobalt and these volt will look a whole lot better then these prius. These price of the volt will not cost $35-$40k, $20-$30k is more likely, these 2 Gen Prius starts at $ 27k. The 3 Gen Prius will start some where $30k +

bruce g

bruce g

May 8th, 2008 (11:29 pm)

# 51jbfalaska,
    If you are paying $5US per gallon in 2010 the Covolt will look as beautiful as Marilyn Monroe.

Now I am showing my age.

Ryan

Ryan

May 9th, 2008 (1:30 am)

With the Wall Street Journal predicting $5 a gallon within the next 2 years I hope GM is smart enough to give us a model that can get at least 100 miles per gallon. There are independent contractors who have already converted a 2006 Tahoe that gets 150 miles to the gallon. GM better get with it soon, or I’m selling my stock.

IndianaDave

IndianaDave

May 9th, 2008 (8:07 am)

For me, personally, I would rather have a toned down body, like the Cobalt, if it came with a toned down price. What I am more interested in is the functionality of the Volt (as an E-REV) rather than the body shape. Call me bland, but that’s my HO.

Storm

Storm

May 9th, 2008 (8:09 am)

Wasting energy is stupid whatever its source.

Mike

Mike

May 27th, 2008 (9:35 am)

Once again, GM releases an incredible automobile at the perfect time. They are cutting-edge, way ahead of the curve, and their design and engineering is astounding. These are world-class automobiles and signify American-made craftsmanship, down to every last hand-finished detail. They last forever, have fantastic retail values, and are a pleasure and a rarity to see cruising down the road when you’re lucky enough to be graced with their presence. GM continues its legacy of quality and heritage that started in the 1950s, and fights to make sure its vehicles are produced in the U.S. They have tremendous employee loyalty and will never send your jobs to Mexico, as they promised with their famous “job security” lies in the 1980s. Anyone who has read this far without vomiting or laughing themselves under their desk has probably picked up on my sarcasm because I’m slathering it on pretty heavily. RIP GM. Visit their website at disposable-slap-together-cars dot com.

A drifter

A drifter

Jun 12th, 2008 (6:22 pm)

i think it kinda looks like the cobalt today with a liitle bit of a body refrsh.

The New Chevy Cruze! - Team-BHP

The New Chevy Cruze! - Team-BHP

Jul 10th, 2008 (3:56 pm)

[...] is the new 2010 Cobalt. Here is the source. GM-VOLT : Chevy Volt Electric Car Site Blog Archive 2010 Chevrolet Cobalt Spy Photo __________________ CYRUS "FIAT CRAZY BAVAJI" DHABHAR…….. IM [...]

M. Tait

M. Tait

Sep 9th, 2008 (10:39 pm)

It looks like G.M. decided to let its customers down again. Every time an innovative design is coupled with innovative technology, that would be a win-win for the consumer and the manufacturer, someone within the company decides to take a short cut to save a couple bucks in the short run. As usual, this blunder will come back to haunt G.M. in the form of stalled sales on another ugly vehicle. It’s no wonder Europe and Asia have captured the market share in our country. When will these guys running these companies learn?

Chris H.

Chris H.

Jul 11th, 2009 (1:00 pm)

Its about time an American auto maker designs and builds a slick looking economy car. The Ford focus is hideous and everything from Dodge just makes me want to puke. My Father disappointed me and went with the new Honda Civic. Athough this is a great looking and solid driving car… I was even pondering looking in the Japanese car side, untill I saw this car. Looks like a downsized Malibu. (Another car which I think GM hit a home run.) I have owned several GM cars and trucks and I have been lucky enough to never have had any major issues out of them. I have relatives who went with Toyota and Nissan. IMO, I can’t see the appeal. The doors close with the sound of a galvanized trash can and if they have to go into the shop, the parts cost is outrageous. No thanks, I will continue to support my country and buy American.